Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sourcebook Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kagetenshi
Er, sorry. Both have coverage; Scourge Unending has the most recent rules and more total Horrors, but Horrors has by far the better flavour text (and better yet, is available from DTRPG, so I didn't have to go hunting for where my copy is buried. I will warn you, though, that whoever made it didn't do nearly as good a job as Adam).

~J
fistandantilus4.0
Thanks. I'll try to track 'em both down, get a nice before an after. Then I can compare and give proper kudos!
hahnsoo
Just what the heck is Roxborough turning into?  I know in Earthdawn Verjigorm placed dragons in cocoons to transform them into Horrors, could this be a similar thing?

Roxy suffered a rare genetic condition which caused his tissue to differentiate...muscle tissue might spontaneously decide to become liver tissue, for example, or bone or neural matter, etc. An experimental treatment place him in a vat where his various bits and pieces could receive proper nutrition while hopefully stopping the changes...and that's where he's been stuck for the last few decades. He's not actually becoming anything.
Just as a clarification, he was suffering from a lupus-like autoimmune disease. The dedifferentiation of his tissues actually came from the experimental treatment for it designed by Universal Omnitech.

He is also quite obsessive about finding a new body and possessing it somehow, but due to Alice's efforts, he's probably not going to see that dream come true any time soon.
hahnsoo
I was also under the impression that the "Great Ward" was Brightlight/Leonardo's Great Work, which was the subject of the novel "Black Madonna" and subsequently destroyed by one of the Great Dragons (either Lofwyr or Aden, I don't remember off-hand). They never got around to putting up any Ward in Tir Tairngire like the Veil around Tir Na nOg, although constant border patrols and locking down the borders after 2057 pretty much amounts to the same thing.
fistandantilus4.0
Lowfyr. And if I recall from the DHT, Grind mentioned (rather of handedly) that they had taken out the lab where they had Mercury later. Could reason to re-locate down south, no?
hahnsoo
In rereading the Tir Tairngire section on mundanes and magic, it looks to be little more than the latest fashion or fad. The Tir elves, at the time of the writing of Tir Tairngire, think of themselves as a "magical nation" which lends some air of superiority. I can imagine an elf upper class family in the Tir talking about magic theory trends over wine and cheese as readily as your typical American upper class family discussing an article in the New Yorker, but that's just speculation.

The teaching of art skills (and the Art Education Act of 2041) may very well be a throwback to Earthdawn by the IEs. But who knows?
The Question
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
  I can imagine an elf upper class family in the Tir talking about magic theory trends over wine and cheese as readily as your typical American upper class family discussing an article in the New Yorker, but that's just speculation.

The fact that its part of the national curriculum did set off some alarm bells for me, but Im probably just reading too much into the Earthdawn references...

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that the picture of Ehran the Scribe without a beard on page 28 bears a striking resemblance to Midge Ure? Is Vienna a power site???
The Question
Two more questions Ive got around Tir Tairngire, moving on to Atzlan next so expect a lot of queries from me!

Whats with all the dry lakes being sites of magical power? I can understand Mt.Hood and Crater Lake, but I don't see whats so significant about a lakebed...(TT, page 145)

Danias comments about how strong these magic sites will be in 7,907 years...is this when the next Scourge will occur?(TT, page 145)

Finally, what is The Big 'D' implying when he says this:

[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
The Mayan long calendar ending occurs the year after the Shadowrun Awakening.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012