Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using d10s instead of d6s
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hahnsoo
As a whole, satellites aren't that difficult to hack into. Some of them are technically "Red", but they have light and easy trigger steps and low ACIFS/System numbers. Take an average Comsat (tm.116):
Orange-8, 9/12/9/7/7

Not too bad. As long as you don't try to crash it or do anything involving the Control subsystem, you're fine.

Going down further, you have Angel Satcom (tm.132):
Orange-4, 10/8/8/8/7

First trigger step is at 5, and it's a Probe-4. The Pueblo RTG is tougher than that.

Looking back at the table on Matrix p47, none of the Satellite constellations have a rating above 6. The toughest ACIFS is a 12, and that's only for the Orbital Dynamix sat group or the Access for Tricom Prime.

EDIT: I take that back. Protocol has a single Control rating of 13, but it's other ACIFS are 10 and below.
Kagetenshi
Ah, that's not bad at all. I was thinking of something you might get out of the random host generation rules.

Though those numbers are definitely, with the occasional spike exception, indicative of Easy level hosts rather than Averages.

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Ah, that's not bad at all. I was thinking of something you might get out of the random host generation rules.

~J

Yeah, I don't even think those Reds for Satellite clusters rate as a Red (Easy), at least on my scale. Orbital Dynamix would be the toughest in the group, and even that one is more of an Orange (Average) in my mind.
Cynic project
I think fourth ed would work much better with D10s over D6s.
Shadow
QUOTE (Cynic project)

Thats because the system was designed with D10's in mind grinbig.gif

Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Apr 25 2005, 11:12 AM)

Thats because the system was designed with D10's in mind grinbig.gif

The sad thing is it kinda was. I'm not sure why the devs decided on a static TN of 5 instead of 4 with d6s.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 24 2005, 10:37 PM)

~J

Yeah, I don't even think those Reds for Satellite clusters rate as a Red (Easy), at least on my scale. Orbital Dynamix would be the toughest in the group, and even that one is more of an Orange (Average) in my mind.

Well that kinda makes sense. I mean, most satelites probably would've rated Red-hard back when they were put into orbit, but it's been awhile and it's hard to upgrade the hardware on a satelite, so it's no surprise they've fallen behind the SOTA curve.
Kagetenshi
Even if the stuff is lower-rated, you'd think the trigger steps would be closer together.

~J
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Even if the stuff is lower-rated, you'd think the trigger steps would be closer together.

Again, not necessarily. Remember the whole "trigger steps" thing is all abstract from an in-game perspective; it's not like each decker has an actual state variable labelled "Security_Tally" or something like that. The whole tally concept is more aimed at not ony how paranoid the system itself is, but how capable the system is of responding to potential violators. As the SOTA advances, the tools to bypass the security readiness of a system will get better, and it makes sense that the trigger steps will seem to widen, even if they themselves haven't changed.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 25 2005, 03:58 PM)

Again, not necessarily. Remember the whole "trigger steps" thing is all abstract from an in-game perspective; it's not like each decker has an actual state variable labelled "Security_Tally" or something like that. The whole tally concept is more aimed at not ony how paranoid the system itself is, but how capable the system is of responding to potential violators. As the SOTA advances, the tools to bypass the security readiness of a system will get better, and it makes sense that the trigger steps will seem to widen, even if they themselves haven't changed.

It's very much like a "Random Encounter Table", only it's not random... it's a linear preprogrammed escalating level of response.
Fortune
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
I'm not sure why the devs decided on a static TN of 5 instead of 4 with d6s.

Probably because with a TN of 4, every single dice has a 50% chance of being a success, which is way too high. Even WW uses 7 instead of 6 as a static TN to reflect a less than 50% chance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012