Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hoverboards?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Swing Kid
Anyone every use the idea of hoverboards? You know, hovering skateboards, like in the Back to the Future movies. We had a team that had a couple of PhysAds that were basically skaters on hoverboards. It was pretty cool. I assume with the hovering capabilities of some of the drones and vehicles, this technology would likely exist in the mid 21st century. Any thoughts?
Backgammon
Well, yes and no. SR's "hover" capability relies on vector thrust, which means it makes an insane noise, is insanely expensive to generate (in fuel terms) and basically kills anyone that steps too close underneath the exhaust.

However, these drawbacks aren't detailed really in SR, and since small vectored thrust drones do exist, a vectored thrust hoverboard isn't out of the question. It wouldn't really be a flat board, since you still need the engine which takes a bit of space, and a fuel reservoir, plus only very rich kids could have one. I imagine the controls would be... tricky to say the least. A VCRed version, or at least datajacked, is almost a must.
hahnsoo
How about wiz-kid gangers with Levitate spell-locks in the shape of boards? smile.gif
Kiedo
Actually we've close to anti-gravity technology right now, it's very exciting stuff. It would be applicable to skateboards in the next twenty years, since the power required is enormous.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kiedo)
Actually we've close to anti-gravity technology right now, it's very exciting stuff. It would be applicable to skateboards in the next twenty years, since the power required is enormous.

Any relevant links you wish to share with the rest of us? Other than the standard hype sites like americanantigravity.com?
SpasticTeapot
You could get away with using SEV, or hovercraft, technology. Using tech found in your average 3A-class electric R/C airplane, one could make a ducted fan, and attach a small skirt to a deck made out of a light but strong material such as carbon fiber. Of course, it would be unstable as heck, but if T-birds are a possibility, then someone has obviously invented a gyro strong enough to keep the thing upright.
Kiedo
I retract my previous statement, I was about to post the link but then I noticed that the article about mercury drives was copied from american antigarvity, total gayness.

And here I was hoping to be driving a hovercar when I'm fourty.
Arethusa
Yeah, you never will. And it's them fucking faggots. Always getting in the way of my antigravity. Goddamn gays. It's always them damn homosexual liberals a'messin' things up'n stuff.
Swing Kid
tellem' how you really feel
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Swing Kid @ Apr 25 2005, 08:02 PM)
I assume with the hovering capabilities of some of the drones and vehicles, this technology would likely exist in the mid 21st century. Any thoughts?

Somewhere, I've got notes from where I'd adapted rules for a medium skimmer drone into a hoverboard-like mode of transportation. They didn't have the altitude of the BttF hoverboards, but they didn't really need it, either.

In fact, in my campaign, there was an adrenaline-junkie part time extreme-sports enthusiast part time street samurai who as soon as the Renraku Arcology went into lockdown, called in a few favors from a rigger buddy of hers, and had him fly his helicopter up to the side of the arcology (flying in just under the upper floors' anti-air machinegun emplacements' fields of fire). Once the helicopter was in place, she lowered herself and one of her her skimmer boards by winch onto the sloped side of the building, and then rode the board down the side of the Arc almost all the way to the bottom, where a mage buddy of hers who also owed a favor levitated her out just before things would have gotten ugly. The skimmerboard was a loss, but it was one of her older ones anyway.

As an added bonus, she had the rigger film her with surveillance drones all the way down (she was wearing a full helmet that concealed her face, she may be crazy but she's not dumb), and then later took that footage, plus footage from her helmet cam and from the chopper's own sensor suite, and edited together a nice trideo clip of the stunt that she was able to sell off to some trid pirate buddies of hers, who then in turn were able to sell it off to a legitimate extreme sports media outlet (and her deal with the trid pirates stipulated that a percentage of the resale would come back to her and her team).

Sometimes, the best runs don't come from a fixer or a Johnson. As for what Deus thought of the whole stunt, the AI's never commented.
FlipShow
Heh.

http://www.reallycooltoys.com/toys/i5info.html
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (FlipShow)
http://www.reallycooltoys.com/toys/i5info.html

Yeah, the ones I had were like that, only a lot less bulbous and clunky looking. That, and there weren't control handles, you basically ran a cable from your datajack down your clothing and plugged it into special boots that had an induction pad (like the kind found in smartlinks and subdermal datajacks) built in. The deck of the skimmer board was set up to be the receiving induction pad, so that you could have datajack control just by standing on the thing.
Mac Swift
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Yeah, you never will. And it's them fucking faggots. Always getting in the way of my antigravity. Goddamn gays. It's always them damn homosexual liberals a'messin' things up'n stuff.

Oh well. Dumpshock's style seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket while I wasn't watching... Leave the house for just a few years and you won't recognize it when you get back. *g*
Raén
My GM made the hoverboards from Back to the Future II some time ago, using Rigger II rules. I don't think it would be different from Rigger III, the creation rules are almost the same. His site can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corri...488/indexe.html
Arethusa
QUOTE (Mac Swift @ Apr 26 2005, 05:33 AM)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 26 2005, 02:51 AM)
Yeah, you never will.  And it's them fucking faggots.  Always getting in the way of my antigravity.  Goddamn gays.  It's always them damn homosexual liberals a'messin' things up'n stuff.

Oh well. Dumpshock's style seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket while I wasn't watching... Leave the house for just a few years and you won't recognize it when you get back. *g*

Sir, I do believe your sarcasm detector is damaged beyond repair. Please replace it post haste!
JaronK
And you, sir, are full of it. It's clearly the gay-bashing environment nuking anti-condom baby seal clubbing conservatives who are keeping us from our Antigravity! Damn that Delay and his reactionary pro-gravity ways!

JaronK
Kiedo
Yeah he was making fun of my "gayness" comment. It's a common saying here in texas to express dissgust for something. The logic in it would be, if any, that it sucks to take it up the butt.

But Arethusa you have to admit, the annonimity of the internet and the impersonal nature of forums, basically jams all but the most sophisticated sarcasm detectors. That or yours is broken too. And mine too if you want to over analyze it.
JaronK
You know, it may be common in Texas, but it's not actually a good thing to do. I, for one, avoid calling something Gay at all times unless it actually is homosexual. And let's face it, it's not because taking it up the butt would be bad. It's "that's like a gay person, i.e. lame." It promotes some pretty idiotic stereotypes.

I know some friends of mine started saying "that's so hetero" but it didn't catch on. It was pretty interesting to see the reactions, though.

JaronK
Nikoli
I don't care you you grew up with your parents saying every 15 minutes, it's still passive aggressive bullshit. I expect better from Dumpshock peeps, not sure why, I just do.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Nikoli)
I don't care you you grew up with your parents saying every 15 minutes, it's still passive aggressive bullshit. I expect better from Dumpshock peeps, not sure why, I just do.

I concur doctor.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Kiedo @ Apr 26 2005, 12:54 PM)
Yeah he was making fun of my "gayness" comment.  It's a common saying here in texas to express dissgust for something.  The logic in it would be, if any, that it sucks to take it up the butt.

maybe "taking it up the butt" is the preferred mode of "taking it" for some? eh? eh?

btw: love the zoidberg quote <3

in summation:

1. Using "gay" when meant as an insult is lame. (It makes you sound foolish and is sooooooo 1995)
2. internets r serios business. >_< (Everybody else should stop taking themselves and a posting board so seriously.)

Nothing personal guys... I like you all, it's just that I started having flashbacks to DS before the Lounge was closed. Everybody reserved the right not to be offended and yet took offense at the tiniest slight.

<3
Swing Kid
So...so should I take it from all of this that hoverboards are OK, unless you are a Buttrunner?
wagnern
ok, you want hover boards? Check out Cyber-gen. I know it is a different system, but there are some futuristic extreme sportes equiptment in there and they have simular tech to Shadowrun. Heck, check it out just for it's self. "My parents were edgerunners, and all they left me was this dark future." -I think that is the tagline-
JaronK
QUOTE (Swing Kid)
So...so should I take it from all of this that hoverboards are OK, unless you are a Buttrunner?

I just have no idea how to respond to this.

JaronK
nezumi
Personally, I'd say no. The mechanics of it make it difficult to build and even more difficult to control for the average Joe (it'd effectively be a flat drone), and from a world stand point it's a bit too 'happy cheery' for me. I hate things that fly. I shoot at them first.
The Grifter
Waahhhhh! They're making fun of gays on the intenet again, mommy! OMG!
BitBasher
QUOTE (The Grifter)

Wow, way to back up the "mature" end of the discussion.
Arethusa
QUOTE (The Grifter)

Was that supposed to be intelligent? Did you actually believe this would at all add anything worthwhile to this thread? Grow up.
BitBasher
Incedentally. Hoverboards are pretty much totally unfeasable outside of cheezy movies. They are almost entirely frictionless because they are on a layer of air. They would be nearly impossible to turn at all. Ever see how a hovercraft handles? Piss poor is the correct answer. The wheels on a skateboard and the fins on a surfboard are pretty damn important because they allow it to maintain a vector and give resistance that allows it to turn. A Hoverboard does not have this.
Nikoli
which is why vectored thrust is feasable, but prohibitively expensive and inefficient
BitBasher
QUOTE (Nikoli)
which is why vectored thrust is feasable, but prohibitively expensive and inefficient

Well, really vectored thrust isn't feasable as you'd still get nowhere near as maneuverable as a skateboard and it's be freaking huge to support a human and have enough fuel to run for any length of time. We're talking surfboard or likely much bigger. Fuel is the issue really.
The Grifter

--------------------

Ah, I see now, from the above comment. I bow to your superior intellect. U R g0dDz0rz!

Yeah, I see you sicced your little stooge Urethra or whatever his name is on me too. Way to go.
FlipShow
http://www.kidradd.com/
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Incedentally. Hoverboards are pretty much totally unfeasable outside of cheezy movies. They are almost entirely frictionless because they are on a layer of air. They would be nearly impossible to turn at all.

The link to a real-world personal air-cushion vehicle that was posted earlier in this thread (http://www.reallycooltoys.com/toys/i5info.html) shows one possible way of overcoming the problems of frictionlessness: adding wheels that only come in contact with the surface when the rider leans and shifts their center of gravity, and when they do lean, those wheels touch down just enough to provide the minimum friction needed to acomplish the desired effect.
Swing Kid
QUOTE (JaronK)
QUOTE (Swing Kid @ Apr 26 2005, 05:18 PM)

I just have no idea how to respond to this.

JaronK

Gotcha
Swing Kid
QUOTE (Arethusa)
QUOTE (The Grifter @ Apr 27 2005, 12:02 PM)

Was that supposed to be intelligent? Did you actually believe this would at all add anything worthwhile to this thread? Grow up.

[bang bang bang]

Everyone check their sarcasm detectors. I think the network is down again.
BitBasher
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Apr 27 2005, 12:13 PM)
Incedentally. Hoverboards are pretty much totally unfeasable outside of cheezy movies. They are almost entirely frictionless because they are on a layer of air. They would be nearly impossible to turn at all.

The link to a real-world personal air-cushion vehicle that was posted earlier in this thread (http://www.reallycooltoys.com/toys/i5info.html) shows one possible way of overcoming the problems of frictionlessness: adding wheels that only come in contact with the surface when the rider leans and shifts their center of gravity, and when they do lean, those wheels touch down just enough to provide the minimum friction needed to acomplish the desired effect.

If you've ever seen a video of those, you'd know they can't turn for squat. The wheels cannot get enough traction to even approach the maneuverability of even a normal skateboard.
Swing Kid
True, but technology changes. If the technology was developed, it could be very useful, not to mention really cool. Hell, we are playing a game where BTLs and Wired Reflexes are common place, why couldn't this technology advance? It doesn't have to be vector thrust; it doesn't even have to be explained using what we know now as science. Bottom line is that it is definately possible. If we have slow, awkward versions in service now, then it is likely that the technology would be at that state in the Shadowrun world of the future. Think of the possiblities. Being able to carry a hoverboard on a run. You could hover over open ground instead of walking over it. Increased speed and manuverability. In the hands (feet?) of a apt user, it could prove to be a runner's best friend.
TEKE
I knew a few kids who hit the scene touting hoverboards as thier calling card. They were fast, fairly silent, and crazy as hell. Haven't seen em in a while, but I made a nice chunk of change off of them as thier fixer. Damn kids, they were nuts.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (The Grifter)

--------------------

Ah, I see now, from the above comment. I bow to your superior intellect. U R g0dDz0rz!

Yeah, I see you sicced your little stooge Urethra or whatever his name is on me too. Way to go.

Just do us all a favor and shut up. I have played shadowrun with homosexuals, and they're pretty darn good at it. If you're so incredibly closed-minded, perhaps you might actually go out and meet a few of them. Then again, you may already have; how do you know that Fred, the guy who you play RPG's with every other thursday, does'nt spend wednesday drinking cosmopolitans and hitting on guys on the local crew team?

Also, on the issue of vectored thrust, I might point out the Harrier jump-jet. It takes off and lands (while carrying a few AAMRAAMS, no less) on vectored thrust produced by an ordinary turbofan.
Once again, most people view a hoverboard as a skateboard sans wheels. This is not a hoverboard. A functional hoverboard would require a large skirt, powerful fan, gargantuan fins, and a set of very powerful gyroscopes to keep it upright. It would not be propelled much like a normal skateboard, either; it would be steered by a pair of rudders and not leaning to the left or right, much like a small boat. In fact, it would not be so much a skateboard as miniature, gyroscope-stabilized, foot-powerd hovercraft with little wings attached at 45 degree angles.
Swing Kid
QUOTE (TEKE)
I knew a few kids who hit the scene touting hoverboards as thier calling card. They were fast, fairly silent, and crazy as hell. Haven't seen em in a while, but I made a nice chunk of change off of them as thier fixer. Damn kids, they were nuts.

The German Kids? I heard they were adepts. Kicked out of the circuit, right?
Swing Kid
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
QUOTE (The Grifter @ Apr 27 2005, 12:34 PM)

--------------------

Just do us all a favor and shut up. I have played shadowrun with homosexuals, and they're pretty darn good at it. If you're so incredibly closed-minded, perhaps you might actually go out and meet a few of them. Then again, you may already have; how do you know that Fred, the guy who you play RPG's with every other thursday, does'nt spend wednesday drinking cosmopolitans and hitting on guys on the local crew team?

Also, on the issue of vectored thrust, I might point out the Harrier jump-jet. It takes off and lands (while carrying a few AAMRAAMS, no less) on vectored thrust produced by an ordinary turbofan.
Once again, most people view a hoverboard as a skateboard sans wheels. This is not a hoverboard. A functional hoverboard would require a large skirt, powerful fan, gargantuan fins, and a set of very powerful gyroscopes to keep it upright. It would not be propelled much like a normal skateboard, either; it would be steered by a pair of rudders and not leaning to the left or right, much like a small boat. In fact, it would not be so much a skateboard as miniature, gyroscope-stabilized, foot-powerd hovercraft with little wings attached at 45 degree angles.

I think Grifter was arguing AGAINST the gay-bashing...just so you know.

I also think that the harsh words spoken early on in this subject were just sarcasm. I get the impression that the gay-bashing was just a point being made about using the term "gay," with negative connotation.

Besides, I don't think any of it has anything to do with hoverboarding. One of the best runners I ever knew was known as (his words) the Shadowflamer. He was an adept that specialized in cat-fighting, and was a wiz in the club scene. Never could get past his fascination with Bet Midler BTL's though.

Anyway, everyone, lets all lighten up, eh?
Shadow
Get over it, a guy used the word 'Gay' to mean something bad. Well deal with it. Gay used to just mean happy, words evolve. Gay is acceptable pop culture word for screwed up, or bad.

If you don't like it to bad. But thats no reason to go on a freaking tirade about it. So just let it all go, take a deep breath and get back to the subject at hand.

I ran a Stargate'esq game in Welcome to the shadows. The coolest character was an 80lb dwarf who had a hoverboard built with R3 rules. If drones can be used as Jet packs, they can be used as hoverboards.
Swing Kid
Amen
hyzmarca
QUOTE (JaronK)
You know, it may be common in Texas, but it's not actually a good thing to do. I, for one, avoid calling something Gay at all times unless it actually is homosexual. And let's face it, it's not because taking it up the butt would be bad. It's "that's like a gay person, i.e. lame." It promotes some pretty idiotic stereotypes.

I know some friends of mine started saying "that's so hetero" but it didn't catch on. It was pretty interesting to see the reactions, though.

JaronK

But, what if you're writing a poem and need a synonym for happy that rymes with day?
Swing Kid
Demosthenes
Dumpshock persons unbellyfeel goodthink - doubleplusungood crimethinkers.
nyahnyah.gif
JaronK
Hyz... you're smarter than that, right?

And you know, this isn't about words evolving. This is the same as saying you were "Jewed down" when talking about negociating, or "Gyped" to mean stolen from. Anyone tells me they were "Jewed Down" around me, and I'll knock them to the ground pretty hard and then tell them they just really got Jewed Down. It's re-enforcing sterotypes on a social group, and it's wrong. Sorry, but that's how it is. Someone needs to say when it's simply wrong, and using "Gay" to mean "lame" isn't cool. If you can't understand this, grow up and think about it some more.

JaronK
nezumi
QUOTE (Shadow)
If drones can be used as Jet packs, they can be used as hoverboards.

Which is why I don't use jetpacks either. That, or I get a lot of PCs with burnt tushies.
The Grifter
I think Grifter was arguing AGAINST the gay-bashing...just so you know.

SwingKid- Thank god, someone has a freakin' working brain here. You are correct.

SpasticTeapot: Okay, first of all, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. You just want to jump on the Grifter-bashing bandwagon. Secondly, you're jumping on me for making fun of homosexuals, which if you'll notice, I didn't do, and you go ahead and stereotype them all as hanging out and drinking cosmopolitans.

For those too stupid to understand what my post was about, I was making fun of everyone here with their holier-than-thou attitudes, who believe that "Thou shalt not use the word gay in any manner that I myself deem inappropriate." What are you people, the fucking lexicon police? You know, this is a PUBLIC forum, and while I do not advocate descrimination of any kind, neither do I get all upset and throw a tantrum just because someone uses a figure of speech I don't agree with. You have an option to NOT read it if you don't agree with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012