Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapon Concealability
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Arethusa
http://poststuff5.entensity.net/042705/guns.wmv
Kagetenshi
My day just isn't complete until I get 403 forbidden right down to root level.

~J
Arethusa
Definitely on your end. Downloaded it five minutes ago and just tried it again; working fine. Try a download manager?
Kagetenshi
I think it just didn't like that I was clicking on it as a link. Copy/pasting the URL worked fine.

~J
hahnsoo
There's a portion of this clip in "Bowling for Columbine", I think. Either that, or it was popular on the Internet several years back, because I've seen it a hojillion times. As if the kid in the video could actually walk around with that much metal on him.

Then again, I've known some folks with DnD characters like that. nyahnyah.gif
Raygun
What would really be funny is if he pulled a little car out of his pants and 15 clowns piled out of it.

Notice how he wasn't walking around any, as in all likelyhood he would be detected in all of three seconds via the obviously uneven gait, klinking and clanking, and trying to keep his pants up while being weighed down by about 25-35 pounds worth of loaded guns.

Silly.
Kagetenshi
Not only would it be funny, it would also be following the Shadowrun vehicle size rules.

That fact did not go unnoticed. However, it might be call for a bonus to conceal for being stationary.

~J
Arethusa
I was laughing the whole time. It's obviously impossible for this to actually be an effective means of concealing weapons, but it's fun, and it does illustrate how easy it should be to conceal a weapon or two with the right clothing— something Shadowrun manifestly fails to take into account.
Shadow
That was like the scene in Mad Max 3. That kid was as well armed as any Shadowrunner could hope to be. He had a good job.
Mortax
rotfl.gif I think I've played a char that carried that much heat before.

Then again, he had 3 cyber guns, a monowhip finger, and wore a duster.
(1 cyber gun in each arm, 3rd in the leg.)

He has plus 1 pants of holding.
Smiley
Yeah, let's see him try to walk with all that shit on him.
Nikoli
Forget the shotgun and you have an impressive collection. I think I have had Rifts characters like that, much faster to draw another than reload...
Mortax
Is that a shotgun down your pants, or are you just happy to see me?
DocMortand
Bah - I would have been more impressed if he was carrying around a Vindicator stuffed in his pants.
Edward
I couldn’t download it myself. It sounds like one the teacher showed us in a security guard choice, he was going on about weapons in schools and included a full length shotgun in his trousers.

The teacher said that he had seen people pull of similar stunts, not necessarily the quantity but as big an assortment of weapons as you could actually use, including the shotgun down the trousers and you wouldn’t know it to look at them, of cause a badly performed pat down search will fond it. And they will have some difficulty running

This is the kind of thing he said that you should be watching for because once in a blue moon somebody will do it.

I tried to get instructions on how to hide the katana in the trench coat but he decided I didn’t need to know but he did tell me it could be done without great difficulty.

Edward
Kiedo
I definately didn't see the shotgun coming. Heck if it was a sawed off with a pistol grip he might have been able to walk. But it's very easy to conceal weapons on your person. A friend of mine in law enforcement has a holster for his 44 mag that you couldn't tell it was there just looking at it, and I'm talking 10" barrel dirty harry 44 mag. I guess thats the real world equivalent of a concealable holster. Hell buy a coat on size too big, or have it cut wide in the shoulders and a shoulder rig is virtually undetecable, provided it's a reasonable handgun(not to be confused with a hand cannon).
Demosthenes
And a .44 magnum isn't a hand cannon? eek.gif
Lindt
I was entertained till the uzi showed up, the .12 ga was just comedy gold.
Smiley
When that kid tells you to give him your lunch money, he ain't kiddin'.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Lindt @ Apr 28 2005, 01:33 PM)
I was entertained till the uzi showed up, the .12 ga was just comedy gold.

That's a Mac 10 or 11, not an Uzi.
Kyuhan
I almost fell out of my chair with laughter when he pulled out the shotgun. rotfl.gif
The Grifter
That a Mac 10

I think it's a Mac 10 as well.

And what's with all the fraggin' derringers? Christ kid, if you're gonna bring the submachinegun to school, screw the thirty other pistols and just bring extra ammo.
Kyuhan
I don't think the point was to show how much you could carry, just that so many different things could be carried so many different ways and still maintain concealability.
Aku
what amazes me also, is the kid is actually wearing pants the semi fit him, no belt even needed!
The Grifter
Agreed.

Another note, on the subject of the katana in the trench coat. I'm a huge Highlander fan, and collect swords. I've tried this trick, and the ony successful way I could find was to place the bottom of the sheath on the inside hem of the coat's bottom, and slightly tuck the hilt under your arm. But unless you're standing still, it's painfully obvious you're hiding something. remember that scene in the beginning of Highlander where Conner is watching wrestling, then goes into the parking garage to fight that Polish guy with the rapier? Tell me how he managed to fit into a seat in a maximum capacity crowd at Madison Square Garden with a katana under his coat?
The Grifter
what amazes me also, is the kid is actually wearing pants the semi fit him, no belt even needed!

those jeans had huge wide-legs though. I'm thinking Jnco or Kik-Wears.
Wounded Ronin
What I don't understand is why the fact that firearms can be concealed is some kind of huge revelation.

Come to think of it, any type of weapon that isn't huge can easily be concealed. If you're really out for blood and want to kill an individual you could still conceal a chef's knife on you pretty well and stab him repeatedly in the kidneys when he's on a urinal. (Extra points if you manage to get some pink urine in the urinal while doing this.)
Arethusa
Um. I'm uncomfortable.
The Grifter
Why a chef's knife? Carry a sharp pencil. Who's gonna bust you for carrying a pencil?
Nikoli
Or a compass.
The Grifter
Like a graphing compass, or a lensatic compass? LOL
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (The Grifter)
Tell me how he managed to fit into a seat in a maximum capacity crowd at Madison Square Garden with a katana under his coat?

Um... Its a kind of magic? <cue Queen music>

Grin/Duck/Run
Wounded Ronin
Hammerspace.

It's so much cooler to have an irate woman slicing your head off with a katana and bathing in the resulting spray of blood than it is to have her merrily bop you on the head with a hammer.

ALL anime should be extreme gore anime. Bwah hwah hwah.
The Grifter
Just watch "Legend of The Overfiend"
Kyuhan
Amano Jyaku rocks!
DocMortand
Yeah, who needs katanas when you have telescoping genitalia. nyahnyah.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Yeah, who needs katanas when you have telescoping genitalia. nyahnyah.gif

Oh, is that what this year's model of Mr. Studd[tm] implant does?
DocMortand
Bah - Mr. Studd has a fixed distance it can telescope to. The better ones you can use telescopic enhancements to aim...

[edit] You know, I can't wait till someone chimes in describing the physics of said genitalia so we can figure out at which meter the thing droops to the ground, the pounds per square inch needed to blast liquids through the length...that sorta thing.
The Other DSE
We always joked that since immortals are, well, immortal, they literally shoved the sword up their a**...

On the other hand, in a LARP I played, I regularly walked around with a fencing saber concealed under an extra long trench coat (not quite duster, but ankle length). Yes, the blade is smaller, but the bell on it is pretty honking huge. Would someone who was looking for it notice? Probably, but if you just walked normally and acted like nothing was weird, no one noticed. This includes a couple of cops that walked by and told me good evening.

But yeah, it's easy as hell to conceal things if you know what you're doing. It's actually more about attitude and body language than anything else. With the same trench coat a friend one time challenged me to swipe a wet floors sign at a movie theater (we'd been discussing just this subject). He pointed the sign out, and I said sure, I'd try.

We got to his car and he was harassing me about how full of shit I was, that I couldn't even swipe a fragging sign. His jaw hit the floor when I handed him the folded up sign from under my coat. He even went back in to verify that it was the same sign.

And I'm not even that good at this stuff. There are people who are amazing at this kind of thing.

Ahh... the good old days, back when I was young and stupid.

I'm no longer quite as young...
Foreigner
The Other DSE:

That reminds me of a story my brother once told me. (It *may* be an urban legend, but my brother swore that it was true.)

Several years ago, a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism (a group of Live-Action Roleplayers specializing in Arthurian stuff, I think eek.gif ), who lived in New York City, was on his way to another part of Manhattan Island for a meeting with other members of his group.

He was wearing a full Arthurian-style infantry costume--leather breeches, boots, chain mail armor with headguard, and broadsword. The sword was sheathed across his back, and over it all he wore a hooded cloak.

On the way across town, he was accosted by a switchblade-wielding mugger. After receiving a laugh, or other similar response, to his demand for money, the two struggled.

The mugger got a BIG surprise when he attempted to stab the reenactor, and the blade of his weapon was stopped by the chain mail armor under his cloak.

He got an even BIGGER surprise when the reenactor threw his head back, causing the hood on his cloak to fall away, exposing the armored headpiece and the handle of the sword--which the fellow proceeded to unsheath.

Pointing his blade in the general direction of the mugger's midsection, our intrepid hero laughs and responds as follows (or at least something to this effect):

"I *see* your *six* {get your minds out of the gutter! he was referring to the length of the mugger's knife blade}, foul knave, and I *raise* you *SIXTY* {referring to his own blade} !"

The would-be mugger was last seen heading due east. rotfl.gif

Also, IIRC, on Bull's site, the part about Highlander-style Immortals says that they can conceal any bladed weapon smaller than a Claymore or similar-sized blade under any coat which is at least knee-length (a mystical ability unique to Immortals, along the lines of an AD&D Bag of Holding, I think).

--Foreigner
mmu1
I heard the story about the reenactor vs. a mugger, and I think it's an urban legend...

On the other hand, I personally *knew* a guy who ended up getting taken away by the cops one Halloween for being out on the street wearing nothing except a loincloth, sandals, and a Conan-like sword...

"But officer, it's just a theatrical blade" apparently didn't wash.
The Other DSE
Foreigner - LOL... never heard that, bet it's a legend... (Anyone checked snopes.com? )

mmu - Really? What did they get him for? My understanding is that, in most localities, it's not illegal to be carrying a sword. It's just a big bloody knife. Now if he was being rowdy or something or they had a complaint maybe...

Also, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, of course if he was concealing a hand-and-a-half or better in a loincloth, well, we should be asking him about this question...

Nikoli
I've also heard a version, but it was in Central Park during some practice. there were 3 SCA members (it's Renassaince, not Arthurian) and there was a crossbow involved. The mugger didn't stab (a switchblade would fare pretty well in popping a link or two, provided it wasn't a cheap POS and the guy was driving hard) it was a slash. Then someone with a crossbow loaded with a sandbag bolt hit the mugger square in the chest knocking him flat. They sat on him till cops arrived, the cop took the mugger into custody and instructed the "victems" to appear in court dressed normally, but to call ahead to arrange for the evidence to be picked up (as it was self-defense the weapons were not confiscated). Moral of the story, If you see a geek in the park with a sword, he might actually know how to use it too...
Arethusa
QUOTE (The Other DSE)
Foreigner - LOL... never heard that, bet it's a legend... (Anyone checked snopes.com? )

mmu - Really? What did they get him for? My understanding is that, in most localities, it's not illegal to be carrying a sword. It's just a big bloody knife. Now if he was being rowdy or something or they had a complaint maybe...

Also, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, of course if he was concealing a hand-and-a-half or better in a loincloth, well, we should be asking him about this question...

Actually, in many places, knives beyond certain lengths (3-4", usually) require a permit or are illegal. Especially the police state of NYC metro— where only the criminals and the celebrities have guns!
Edward
I can believe the story about the mugger. It’s more plausible than most urban legends at least I have seen reenactors chain mail that would stop a knife thrust easily.

As to the legality of carrying a sword, in Australia a sword is specifically listed as a controlled weapon (then again I can buy most controlled weapons at any army disposal store, fishing shop or sports store with a martial arts department, and a cop told me I could legally build and sell spear fishing guns without a licence in spite of the fact that they are a controlled weapon so it doesn’t mean much.

The most obvious crime would be related to people believing it was a real weapon. I know in Australia the fact that you’re carrying a fake weapon (obviously carries not obviously fake) in public still caries charges, if les sever than an actual weapon related to the worry it causes others. However you can usually get away with it if your wearing a suitable uniform (a friend of mine has had casual conversations with cops that didn’t even ask about his sword in spit of the fact that his reason for being allowed to wear it was not known to them and flimsy at best. He was wearing a rover uniform (eagle scouts I think is the American equivalent).

The annoying thing is it is getting to the point where many places wont let me carry my swis army knife. Apparently in spite of the fact that I use it several times almost every day for everything from trimming fingernails to opening packing boxes, cutting up my lunch to treating minor injuries (splinters mostly), opening bear bottles to piking my teeth, untangling rope to cutting twine (the combined tools to do all these things would fill a large handbag and include things more easily used as weapons including a box cutter, rigid scissors and screwdrivers) but there is apparently no consevable reason why I could need a pocket knife on my key ring. Worse every time I talk about this problem I am ether ignored or informed of the merits of a gun heavy society. All I want is to be able to open my tined corn and clean my teeth (and a hundred other things) with an implement that fits in my pocket.

Edward
Nikoli
Yeah, weapon control policies, using a "Zero Tolerance" stand point are just assinine. I remember taking my swiss army knife to HighSchool (this was just after they started putting up the posters that define what constituted a weapon) i read the school regulations, no mention of a pocket knife. And the Poster said knives over 3" long. A swiss army is right at 2 7/8"
Was great, cleaning my fingernails, teacher gives me shit, I whip out my ruler and point at the nearest poster and offer to let them measure the longest blade. They were never happy but couldn't touch the knife after that. Now, you get a cavity search if you want to carry fingernail clippers on an airplane.
Critias
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Yeah, weapon control policies, using a "Zero Tolerance" stand point are just assinine...Now, you get a cavity search if you want to carry fingernail clippers on an airplane.

Yeah, that's asinine. Box cutters are really small, you should be able to take them whereever you want to. What could happen?!
Kagetenshi
Nothing worth implementing that sort of measure over.

~J
Arethusa
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Apr 29 2005, 03:21 PM)
Yeah, weapon control policies, using a "Zero Tolerance" stand point are just assinine...Now, you get a cavity search if you want to carry fingernail clippers on an airplane.

Yeah, that's asinine. Box cutters are really small, you should be able to take them whereever you want to. What could happen?!

Honestly, and it's perhaps in somewhat poor taste to state this bluntly, if you're on a plane and that plane is taken over by people with nothing better than box cutters, you and everyone on that plane have done something very wrong. Now, the people on those planes weren't combatants or trained to handle hostile environments, for the most part, and I'm not going to get into analyzing any of that, as it's not my intent, but purely in terms of weaponry, box cutters a shit. They cut fucking boxes. They're a small step up from a sharpened pencil. Those hijackers did not succeed because of box cutters; they succeeded because they seized the initiative.
Edward
That’s right. Nail clippers are not allowed on airplanes. However I believe you can still bring as many pens as you want, which do you think makes the better weapon?

Anybody willing to describe the cutlery they give you with your meal these days, last time I was on a plain it was cheep plastic for me but the guys in first class had metal.

Edward
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012