Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Guns, Germs, & Steel
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mallet
Welcome to the OOC section of the Guns, Germs and Steel game.

I will be editing this main post over the course of the game to add in public notices, player rolecalls, and other bit's of info. please check back often.

For now the players should say "hi." and get to know each other, maybe give brief descriptions of your characters, but please no specific details.

PLAYER LIST

jklst14
whizbang
gobogen
kaosaur

Carry on.
mallet
One of the first things we need to do is figure out how often people can post and what posting regiment is best for everyone.

Please post and let us know what will work best for you.

I can always get on at least once a day, usually more often.

gobogen
For now the players should say "hi."

"hi" , says I. wink.gif

My character is a young human shaman named Storm. I hope you will all come to like him biggrin.gif

I can easily post once a day, often more than that.
Kaosaur
I usually check throughout the day multiple times...It'll be rare that I go the whole day without visiting the site. Posting is no problem.
The only difficulty is access to the books, since a lot of the time I'll be doing this from work so I guess if they're necessary I can wait until I get home to make posts..but that's usually after midnight EST.
Whizbang
I pretty much post daily.
jklst14
I can't access Dumpshock from work so I won't be able to post during work hours. However, I can usually post multiple times during the times I am off work.
mallet
ok, it looks like daily is good for everyone. That's great. If anyone is going to be away or unable to post for a day or two please let me know, otherwise we will be stuck waiting for you and that's not really fair to everyone else.

next thing is all you guys will be making your own rolls (unless it gets to unbelievable) and post the results here in the OOC thread. I'll be making all the usual rolls for you that the GM makes, perception, availability, etc... I'll also be giving you target numbers, ranges, conditions, background count, etc... in the OOC or by PM. Sound good?

I am moving this weekend, but I should be checking back on and off so if you guys have any questions just post and I'll get them.

I hope to get the game started monday or tuesday (most likely tuesday). I will let you guys know the details as we get closer to game time.

thanks
gobogen
I can't wait for this game to get started !!!! I'm really excited about my character and the seemingly mysterious nature of this game. Seems like it's gonna be intricate and very interesting. Now don't disappoint me wink.gif
mallet
Ok, here we go.

After some delay the game will be starting tomorrow afternoon.

I am going to do things a bit different with this game then others games you might have played online. One of the things I am going for is a very "novel"-style approach. Meaning that anyone reading the IC thread should be able to read and follow allong like they are reading a book which also means they shouldn't have to skip to the OOC thread to know what's going on. I know it will take sometime for all of us to get into that "style" of posting, but it is something to work for.

An other thing I am going to do is a "lead-in" post (or posts) to establish the setting and the characters. So please do not take offence if I "use" your characters at the begining of the game before you begin to post/play.

Also since this game is focused around the characters you have created and their backgrounds expect a level of detail and involvment not usually sceen in these types of game (at least I hope that is what happens. smile.gif )

Another also, is that in order for the story to make sense "plot-wise" I am going to be "introducing" you into the game as it goes along. The basic outline is this:

We will be starting the story with jklst14, then Whizbang will join in, then gobogen and finally Kaosaur. This is because of your histories and backgrounds and what make sense for the storyline I have come up with. I will inform you by PM (and here on the ooc thread) when you can start to post on the IC thread (although it should hopefully be obvious from the postings).

But everyone please feel free to read along right from the begining and post comments and advice in the OOC thread for those that have already started playing.

And finally, I still need updated character sheets from all of you (except jklst14) taking into accound the changes and bonus's your characters have recieved.

Sound good? I hope so.

Ok, everyone feel free to start OOC posting comments and suggestions, etc... and get ready for the game to start-up tomorrow.

Thanks.
Kaosaur
I don't need to send you anything else, right? >:D
mallet
I don't need to send you anything else, right?

Right.
Whizbang
Thought I posted this already, but seem's it's not there anymore or I forgot... but anyways, you got mail smile.gif
jklst14
I was about to post my reply earlier this afternoon when the forums went down. Now, I don't see the IC thread. Anyone else having this problem?
Whizbang
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...=0&#entry253925

Ah...so it wasn't just me forgetting to post.
gobogen
yes this is very strange but thanks to Whizbang we have the explanation .. I'm sure our GM has the text he first posted in a document on his computer somewhere (or at least I sure hope that he does!!)

For when the IC thread will be up again: Could you remind me what are the effects of the background count please?
mallet
Must be one of those days...

I'll get the IC thread back up and running in a few moments.

As I said before there is a background count of TWO for the duration of the heat wave. This means all magical target numbers are at +2 and all drain checks are at +1.

Jklst14 is the first up to post, everyone else will be jumping in as the game goes along. (most likely with in the next day or two, depending on the speed of the posts).

IC should be back in a bit.

thanks.
mallet
Ok, IC is back.

Let's continue. And hope that there are no more problems.

jklst14
Mallet,
I've posted my reply. I'll be gone most of the evening but should be able to post again when I get back home tonight.

jkl

PS: Jason is using astral perception to take a look around and then he's going to try to find a way to sneak into the building
mallet
Ok, you can keep looking astral if you like and make a roll (TN 6) to gather more info, but the pull of the toxic power might be hard to resist (willpower check) if you stay astral too long.

Also a stealth check (TN 3) to sneak past EX-Edger to get to the fire escape. No check to climb.

jklst14
Since astral was looking pretty nasty, Stark will just stop perceiving right away.

As for Stealth, here's my roll:

4, 4, 4, 2

mallet
Hey, Jklst14 to prevent me from controling your character too much, if you make a sucess like that you can post the outcome. (ie, sneaking past ex-edger and starting to climb)

Just don't switch to another setting (like the roof) without letting me post a reply.

that way you can still write what your character feels etc... and things can go a bit faster.

Sound good?
jklst14
No problem, boss smile.gif
jklst14
Stark is going to try a perception test to learn what he can about the pair of figures on the rooftop, using all his various heightened senses and his perceptive edge.

Results: 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2

In an unrelated matter, as I noted in a previous email, I'll be out of town for 4-6 days starting Sunday and my ability to post will likely be curtailed.

Thanks!
mallet
That's ok, Jklst14. Have fun on your trip. It is also the perfect time to switch over to Whizbang to start up his character, so you can read along on his posts. I might make one or two posts in your name while you are gone, but it will be nothing major. Post OOC when you get back so we can get you back into the game.

Whizbang, we will be starting up your story now. I will make the first post, later today or tomorrow morning. You can start posting after that. Sound good?

As for everyone else, just sit tight, you will be in this soon, I promise.

Whizbang
Works for me.
jklst14
Sounds good smile.gif
mallet
Sorry that it took a bit longer to post then I planed. I forgot it was Mother's Day today when I said I would post this morning or afternoon. I had family stuff so I wasn't able to get on to a computer until now.

Anyways, here we are. Whizbang you can begin to post.

As always, just post or PM any questions.

thanks
Kaosaur
I've got a bad feeling in my gut that I'm going to be playing as the naked guy.

Don't let me die! nyahnyah.gif *crosses fingers*
gobogen
This is really getting interesting. The tension is building up. I like it.

If you're the naked guy that means it's not me and that's good nyahnyah.gif
mallet
Ok, it's going good. You two keep getting to know each other and come up with a plan. I'll post when I need to. We can edit if things get messed up.

Oh, and to make things easier to read, let's put in extra spaces between paragraphs and use Italics for everything said out loud or to yourself (Ie. Thoughts)

Post here on the ooc (or PM me) if you can doing anything that requires my input (astral scan, aura reading, etc...) of each other or the situation.

Sound good?
jklst14
Whizbang, could you put a description of your appearance in your next post? Thanks smile.gif
gobogen
QUOTE (jklst14)
Below him gathered a small but burgeoning horde (or was it a pack? A herd? Certainly not a flock... What the frag does one call a group of zombies anyhow?).

That's just an awesome line. biggrin.gif
jklst14
Thanks smile.gif I try my best to entertain.

mallet
The building is concrete and looks quite solid. You would have a hard time (but not impossible time) trying to get it to burn. You would need more supplies then you have right now. meaning a trip to find the stuff you'd need.
jklst14
What do I see when I look down into the room below us through the skylight? How many bad guys are there? Do they have weapons lying around? Anything else of interest or import?
mallet
You can not see much more then the shapes of the five men, plus the man in the center. The lightshow being created by the spell stop you from getting too much of a look at teh rest of the room. It is a big room though, and their might be others inside, out of sight.

Also, you have only seen the back of the building from the alley, there might be doors to the front of it (actually it is a good bet. Most warehouses don't have only one door in the back alley.)

Whizbang you and Daniel got there from above by Daniel's magic. You are not sure of the layout of the building, beyond what you've seen.
mallet
Whizbang. Make a computer check. roll TN 5 to get the floor plans and another TN 5 check to get out get out. Post the results here on OOC.

If you succeed on both you can write up the post about getting in finding them and getting out. If you fail on ethier I will write out happens and we will go from there.

Sound good?
Whizbang
Finding plans: 9, 5, 5, 5, 4, 2
Getting out: 16, 9, 5, 5, 2, 1

Think I'll wait to make my post until I get back from work....gotta stop posting when I'm half asleep.
mallet
Ok, Whizbang was only gone for a minute or two in real time, so nothing has changed.

Whizbang you can view the file and see the full building plans. Nothing seems to unusual in their design. No secret doors or things like that. smile.gif

There are two large bay doors and a regular sized front door and back door.

There are also three offices up front off of a small corridor, a door leads there in to the main warehouse space where the ritual is taking place.

Safety codes show a full sprinkler/alarm system was originally installed, but records indicate that the building has been out of use for the past 7 years and is scheduled for demolition at some future date (it keeps getting pushed back by the city planers because of budget costs). All public sources of water and power have been disconnected.

Any other questions just post.

mallet
Hey all, no worries about the explosion. I don't any of you are dead. I still have a few rolls to make... wink.gif

No posting IC until I do the first post of Chapter two later tonight or tomorrow morning. OK?

Feel free to talk here in the OOC.
Whizbang
seems our dramatic entrance was turned into an even more dramatic exit...
gobogen
This is more and more exciting as the whole thing takes shape. I wonder what's next smile.gif
Kaosaur
Just letting you all know that I'm at my girlfriend's house on vacation through next Thursday.

I will be able to post but it will be sporadic...I will NOT be able to post this Sunday (at all).

Sorry for not giving a bit more advanced notice... I figure my time to post is starting soon so I'll try to get in as much as possible when the time comes.
mallet
No problem Kaosaur, I'm having a hard time getting the first post of Chapter two up right now. (It will be up soon!) Your time is almost here, but we can wait for you when we get to your part. It probably won't be for a few days at least.
mallet
Ok, Gobogen you are up. Jklst14 and whizbang, sit back for a bit and read along. You should be back in this shortly.

As always, just post if you have questions or comments.

Whizbang
Would be nice if editing bumped the thread up.
mallet
yah, I just noticed that. It is taken care of in the only way I know how.
mallet
Ok, Jklst14 you can post. You have just came too, you are not sure how long you have been unconscious. You are hurt, but not critically. you can move slowly, and it hurts to do so, but you can move. The air is thick with smoke and heat, but your senses are very good, so you can see about 10-15 feet. The place is a mess you can make out bodies and body parts scattered around nearby.

You start to dig yourself out of the rubble that partly covers you and you hear...
jklst14
I have to run to work but I'll post a reply later today....
mallet
Hey guys, this is just a personal preference of mine, but could we not use quotes in the IC posts?

If you are responding to someone or need to use dialogue from a previous post, just retype it out. Makes the whole thing look and read better.

thanks.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012