Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
torzzzzz

Ok So SR4 is on the horizon and there are some unhappy puppys out there, whats the problem with change? I mean ok its all speculation on the fine details of SR4 but thing's move on .... technology gets better and people change. It is just the natural course of things that it will change? So why are so many people unhappy about SR evolving?

torz x question.gif
Critias
I'm unhappy with it because the change is much bigger than it has been in any previous jump between editions. I don't mind change, or evolution. Evolution (despite what the X-Men might have us think) doesn't leap and bound like this, though. They're making an awful lot of very big changes, all at once. An awful lot.

I liked modifiable TN's, and considered them a staple of my Shadowrun diet. I won't have them any more.

I liked player-controlled tactically applicable pools, and considered them a staple of my Shadowrun diet. I won't have them any more, either.

I -- it's a small thing, but a thing nonetheless -- genuinely liked that SR stayed "real time" with it's growth and change (it was one of the first games, IIRC, to do this, and the fact it changed in real time was neat). Now it's off by five years. In much the same way the retroactive history in SoNA and a few other places bugged me ("Oh, it looks like this has been going on for a few years, now!"), this five-year jump forward kinda bugs me. Nothing major, and I understand the reasoning for it; but it irks me a little, anyhow.

*shrugs* So, yeah. I'm not looking forward to it. I'm not gonna try and make other people not look forward to it, I'm not gonna not buy it, I'm not gonna pretend it's not being published. I can't say for sure whether I'm going to like it or not -- I haven't seen the finished product -- but I can say that I'm not eager about it, based on the information we've got so far.
SirBedevere
Is change good or bad? That depends on the change.

The amount of change that appears from reading the FAQs amounts not to an evolution of Shadowrun but a revolution. I think that changing to a fixed TN will make the game system 'coarser' in that any variables will be less subtle. Adding or subtracting a die is statistically a much larger change than changing the TN by +1/-1. I think that having player controlled dice pools is a good idea. The application of that idea did, in my opinion, need changing. That option is now gone.

In my opinion having what seems to be a completely new set of rules is not a good idea. I think that it is a change too far.

torzzzzz, there seems to be an unspoken assumption in your post that all change is good. In evolutionary terms a change may lead down a dead end to extinction. I do not like what I feel are enormous changes in the Shadowrun game. The changes may be good, they may even be necessary, but I don't have to like them.

In a previous poll, a large number of people said that the rules system of a game was 25% or more of what they liked about it. In writing a new rules system FanPro are taking a big gamble.

I will continue to play Shadowrun, I will buy the BBB4 to see where the game is going. I will continue to buy source books, but I won't be buying the other 'core' books or using the SR4 game system.
weblife
In the wise words of Aenea: "Choose Again."

Nothing is constant. If SR4 is a viable RPG in a futuristic fantasy/goth setting, then FanPro has done their job.

Why care if you can recognize the rulesystem? - Its the same world, tweaked up, sure, but overall it will be the universe we already enjoy.

Too much too fast, not possible, unrealistic, all these terms are the spawn of stagnant minds. Open up and smell the roses.

You feel safe and comfortable with your rules and views, but if you do not challenge them and change over time, then you are not growing as individuals.

I know these words sound a little imperious and will probably spawn alot of flack, but seriously, closemindedness influences all aspects of your life. And if a RPG changing and revising their rulesystem gets you up in arms like this, then you are putting way too much into it.

I love roleplaying, and am passionate about the universes built by the game creators, but in no way would I post so aggressively and negatively about a new version of a game. - Change is good.
mmu1
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
Ok So SR4 is on the horizon and there are some unhappy puppys out there, whats the problem with change? I mean ok its all speculation on the fine details of SR4 but thing's move on .... technology gets better and people change. It is just the natural course of things that it will change? So why are so many people unhappy about SR evolving?

torz x question.gif

Who cares what's "natural"? Cancer is natural... So is being eaten by a lion, or being an old man at 40. Having enough free time to sit on your butt and play Shadowrun sure as hell isn't, though.

And change might be inevitable, but it's hardly a good thing, by definition. Change is what's going to make you die and rot one day. wink.gif

Anyway, the current changes simply aren't what a lot of people had in mind. There's a lot of things I'd have liked changed in SR3, for example, but not one of them made their way into SR4. (or in rare cases, they did, but since the whole system changed as well, it made them irrelevant)
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (weblife @ May 10 2005, 07:18 AM)
Too much too fast, not possible, unrealistic, all these terms are the spawn of stagnant minds. Open up and smell the roses.

I smell bullshit, and loads of it besides.

These are all legitimate concerns. To just go ahead and brush them off is idiotic.

~J
Penta
weblife....

1. I rarely see people so arrogant.

2. GOTH? GOTH? This is not fucking World of Darkness.
weblife
QUOTE (Penta)
weblife....

1. I rarely see people so arrogant.

2. GOTH? GOTH? This is not fucking World of Darkness.

Yes, yes, my bad. I completely forgot that zombies, ghosts, ghouls, vampires and werebeings doesn't exist in SR.

Oops, they do.

To my eyes, SR is a world that lends itself quite nicely to a gothic setting.

Arrogant? rotfl.gif

I'd think being convinced something unknown is, by definition, bad, is even more arrogant.
Demonseed Elite
Shadowrun isn't really a goth game. If that's what you're looking for, you can possibly make it work, but it's not going to be the thematic thrust of SR4, I can tell you that much. White Wolf already has that angle covered pretty solidly.
weblife
Goth or not is not the main turning point here. The discussion is whether its better to await the unknown with an open mind, or to lock up and diss the whole thing.

Most of the replies in the SR4 forum are worded something akin to this:

"I really want xxxxx to be in SR4, that sucks if they don't do that!"

"I really DON'T want xxxxxxxx to be in SR4, I'll go nuts if they put it in!"

I don't see too much of:

"Hey, they are gonna put in xxxxxxxx, that sounds really interesting I wonder if it works like..."

or

"I have a great idea for SR4, and I want your opinion before I mail my idea to FanPro, just because you never know."

SR4 is being made because FanPro expects there to be an audience who will welcome a game in that genre. They are trying to fit in our real world developments into their futuristic version. This will take some tweaking, particularly because the development is running much faster than first imagined by the writers of SR. - Leading to seemingly impossible techjumps in the SR timeline.

I do not take this as disheartening at face value. SR4 will be tempered to allow it to work. Converting from SR3 to SR4 will be quite easy if you don't get caught up in details that may or may not be realistic to your mind.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (weblife)
Yes, yes, my bad. I completely forgot that zombies, ghosts, ghouls, vampires and werebeings doesn't exist in SR.

Er, you know none of those creature types are necessarily goth, right? In fact, every single one of them predate "goth", both in its modern definition as a style of dress and its earlier one as a group of people. It's only recent stereotyping, Anne Rice novels and the WoD roleplaying game that make these things Goth.

Anyway, torzzzz, my problem really isn't the change. In fact, I'm more than a little happy with the streamlining and rules simplification; there is far far too much bloat and inconsistency in the current ruleset, such that even seasoned veterans have a hard time with many of the rules. At the same time much of the technological background badly needs updating. Honestly it's about time that they actually went and made a new edition; the current one is far too out-of-date and clunky.

The problem I have is, essentially, I don't trust Fanpro to write what amounts to a completely new game system from scratch--hell I don't think I'd really trust them to write even a much less far-reaching ruleset. Take a look at the current SR3 FAQs; the Fanpro writers, while brilliant at coming up with new toys and weaving the metaplot, just can't write good, self-consistent game rules without stabbing themselves in the face repeatedly. The SR4 "FAQs" seem to bear out this suspicion; never before have I seen a company try to market a product by telling the public exactly what it doesn't want to hear without actually saying anything at all.

Anyway, my opinions are all over this forum, many times more coherent than this post. Go ahead and search for my nick if you want my opinion; I'll let someone else have the soapbox now. smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (mmu1)
Anyway, the current changes simply aren't what a lot of people had in mind. There's a lot of things I'd have liked changed in SR3, for example, but not one of them made their way into SR4. (or in rare cases, they did, but since the whole system changed as well, it made them irrelevant)

You don't know what's in there beyond the FAQ blurbs and some badly translated German. You can't say with any authority what's in there, and you sure don't know which changes made it and which haven't...if only for the very simple reason that we don't have everything nailed down yet.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (weblife)
I don't see too much of:

"Hey, they are gonna put in xxxxxxxx, that sounds really interesting I wonder if it works like..."

or

"I have a great idea for SR4, and I want your opinion before I mail my idea to FanPro, just because you never know."

You haven't been looking very hard then. At first there were dozens of posts to that very effect. It was slowly made clear after a couple of the "FAQs", though, that not only is almost *nothing* going to remain even similar to what we've seen in previous editions, but that they have totally changed the definitions and basic principles of the few things we do know--like dice pools and attributes. And they took two months to say even those simple things. It has become painfully obvious that nothing we say here is going to even make sense under the current rules, as everything has been so switched around as to be virtually unrecognizable, so the positive forward-thinkers really have nothing to speculate on, leaving only the knee-jerk negative reactions.

And the whole thing is being actively encouraged by whoever the heck is doing the marketing for SR4, which completely mystifies me. Do they honestly believe that dampening the fanbase's enthusiasm for SR4 is going to encourage them to buy it? I already have seen several people on these forums--possibly the largest collection of hard-core Shadowrun fanatics in the English-speaking world--declare that the SR4 FAQs have convinced them to *not* buy the core book, not so much because of what was presented so far, but how it was presented.

And I'm one of them.
Geko
Everyone is going to see what comes when it comes. They have no choice.

The question is whether you expect the change to be good or bad. No matter which "side" you lean towards, you've formed a prejudiced view. Looking at things critically is not being closed-minded, no matter what conclusions you end up drawing. IMO, refusing to form an opinion because you can't control things is more stagnant than anything.

I echo the opinion that change is not inherently good or bad. However, (early) signs seem to indicate that this particular change will not be good.

Keep in mind that people on this forum are fans of SR3. To convince them that change is good, you have to provide reasons. So far, no one has been presented with many. The changes that have been announced so far are not popular. If you need more reason to justify the uproar, you might not be looking critically at the (scarce) evidence at hand.
mmu1
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
You don't know what's in there beyond the FAQ blurbs and some badly translated German. You can't say with any authority what's in there, and you sure don't know which changes made it and which haven't...if only for the very simple reason that we don't have everything nailed down yet.

I know that what I wanted were changes to SR3, not a complete re-writing of the sytem, which means that by definition, I'm not getting what I want.

It might turn out that I'll like SR4 anyway, but unless all the info posted so far has been outright wrong, it'll be despite at least some of its features.

By the way, I might have said it before, but using the "everything isn't nailed down" line to convince people SR4 is going to be a good thing never seemed like a good idea - and now, only 3 months before release, even less so.

Eldritch
All change is not growth; as all movement is not forward.
Ellen Glasgow

I don't have a problem with growth, or evolution. SR has been growing and evolving since it was released; Cyber, magic, decking, etc - all of it has had growth and change. The setting itself continues to evolve as well. And those are all good things.

Changing, evolving, growing is good.

Burning it down and rebuilding it is bad.

I keep hearing that 'We don't know what's staying and whats going' - but one of the faqs said pretty clearly that it is a new system.
Q. What does this mean for my old books?
A. SR4 is a new rules set — simpler, streamlined, and more accessible, but new rules nonetheless. That means SR1, SR2, and SR3 rules will be obsolete in the new system. Source material, however — meaning background, plot, and world info — will still be relevant. We are advancing the timeline a slight bit in order to account for some new technology, but not so far as to completely sever ourselves from ongoing plots.

Thats pretty clear to me : New rules.

And while the 'What's not changing' was pretty much a joke:
Q. What haven’t you changed in SR4?
A. Many things. There are still 5 basic metatypes to choose from in the basic rules. Contacts remain an integral part of the game. There will be 16 Sample Characters that you can start with. Karma is still used as the experience award. The focus of the game is still on teams of operatives combining skills and resources to accomplish criminal or psuedo-criminal missions. And so on.

That only confirms - the rules are basically being burned to the ground and rebuilt. I'm sure there will be some familar terms, but it seems to be a whole new game (System).

The setting will undergo some changes. That has been made clear in the 'five year jump' mention. Even ignoring the German stuff, which is aperently badly translated, the mention of the wireless matrix is a huge setting/flavor change.

And just why are the German fans getting more then the American/English speaking bunch??

why do I have a problem with it? I don't see the nessity for change of this magnatude. There's several ways that an evolution in tech could be introduced. There are several ways some tweaks to the rules could be done.

If rules are truly and completly broken, then fix them and reprint the book. Other manufacturers have done that and it works.

If the rules are being modified to prevent 'muchkinism' then stuff it. If the rules are being changed to pacify a few loud mouthed whiners then stuff it. If the rules are being changed becuase Fanpro feels the need to write their own ruleset then WTF? Make another game, market it and see if it works. Don't screw up a good system.

Jrayjoker
Lets face it, Shadowrun is getting a new system. The setting is all that stays, and even that is undergoing an overhaul. Is it good? unknown. Is it bad? IMO No. It will be different, and change is hard.

Like many have said before, I reserve judgement until it comes out. I will buy it, and if I like it I will play it. Until then it is SR3 for me.
BitBasher
Change is neither good nor bad. It simply is.

Remember New Coke?
SirBedevere
Changing rules can make a great difference to how a game is played even if the setting is identical. If you have a game like 1st edition Runequest (going back a bit I know) in which characters have low hit points, then even a Rune Lord-Priest is going to have a tough time against a mob of trollkin armed with spears. In a high hit point game like D&D even using the same background a Rune Lord-Priest equivalent can ignore an almost infinite number of trollkin. Rules therefore do have an effect on tactics within a game.

I do not think, and have never said, that the SR3 rules are perfect; far from it! Writing an entirely new set of rules is, as someone mentioned in another post, throwing the baby out with the bathwater. When the first press release came out I was expecting a revision of the old rules, not an entirely new game system.

If, as Patrick says; "we don't have everything nailed down yet", FanPro is cutting things a little fine. I don't how much lead time is required to get SR4 to the printers so as to be ready for release at GenCon, but any changes made now won't have much chance to be playtested.
Kagetenshi
Both false. Change can be good or bad. It is not consistently one thing, but neither is it consistently neither.

~J
BitBasher
If, as Patrick says; "we don't have everything nailed down yet", FanPro is cutting things a little fine. I don't how much lead time is required to get SR4 to the printers so as to be ready for release at GenCon, but any changes made now won't have much chance to be playtested.
Hehehe, have faith, there'll be oversights and bugs, and as a result we'll get a FAQ just as useful as the current one! wink.gif biggrin.gif grinbig.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (torzzzzz)

torz x  question.gif

Fear of the unknown. None of us (developers, freelancers and playtesters aside) really have *any* information that can let us make an informed decision. As Patrick has pointed out, FAQs and some brief German documentation do not a game make.

That, or we are already anticipating "how does invisibility work on cameras" again. lick.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (SirBedevere)

I'm given to understand about 3 weeks. We've got the rest of May and all of June to hammer on things. We've got July to get things proofed yet again and into layout. As long as the book is at the printers by the end of July, it should make an end of August release date.

Adam, you've worked in the industry on that side of things. Check me on this.
Patrick Goodman
This is me talking. The player, not the playtester and not the writer. I say this now so that in case the "I speak for myself" disclaimer in my sig isn't enough, I make it obvious that I'm in no way connected to FanPro with this particular post.

QUOTE (BitBasher @ May 10 2005, 12:28 PM)
Hehehe, have faith, there'll be oversights and bugs, and as a result we'll get a FAQ just as useful as the current one! wink.gif biggrin.gif grinbig.gif

And you have the unmitigated gall to say that you're not bashing the developers and those involved in working on the new edition. You're so full of shit I can't begin to tell you....

Will it be perfect out of the gate? No, but show me something that is. Don't go out of your way, however, to make it seem like we're fuckups looking for some way to screw things up. That is the very essence of bashing the developers.
Superbum
IMHO, the only reason the rules are changing is so Fanpro can try and push the game into a larger market. More power to them.

1) If you are not going to buy the book then quit bitching about it and post elsewhere. We enthusiats do not need to come here and see your naysaying.

2) Quit trolling Weblife's comment about the game being fantasy/goth. True its scifi/fantasy or steampunk or whatever but if you or your gaming group or you GM/DM isn't original enough to tweak the setting more to fit your groups style then it is not his fault. He sees the setting as more goth and it is his style. You can easily interpret this setting with other aspects so please don't knock anyone for choosing to do so. Who cares if WW or WoD has that setting in aces, they suck.
Bull
Calm down kids...

Bull
Eldritch
Jeeze - Sensitive?

Look, He's not bashing - calling the devs, et F***ups would be bashing. Calling then Talentless hacks would be bashing. That's not what he said.

First off he said what we all know - and you've agreed with; It will not be perfect. It will have problems and it will require a FAQ. Nor did he allude to any system that is perfect. Most of us have been gaming a long time - we know better.

Second, He made a sarcastic comment concerning the usefulness of the faqs. And he's right. The Faqs have, historically, caused as many problems as they've solved.

So what's your beef? If these comments are winding your shorts up that much, then you should take a week off, relax and worry about the wedding.
Superbum
Is everyone really this distrusting of Fanpro and have a complete lack of faith in their ability to put out a solid book?

IMHO, they have been doing a good job so far with all the SR3 books they have released. So I am kinda confused as to why you all think SR4 will require a FAQ at release.....
MYST1C
QUOTE (Eldritch)
And just why are the German fans getting more then the American/English speaking bunch??

Because FanPro D wants us to buy the German books instead of the English ones that become available some months earlier.
(Or some years. Sometimes there's no German translation at all...)
Ellery
It's not that change is bad. There are plenty of places where SR3 could use some improvements, and even if it was fine, stagnation is boring.

What may be bad, however, is the scale of the change. There are a lot more ways to get things wrong than to get them right. If you make incremental changes, you can keep what you know is right and try to get the wrong stuff right. But if you essentially start from scratch with a new mechanic, you don't know what is wrong or right based on previous experience. You have to figure it out all over again. And that takes time. Time is not something that is available in great abundance between now and GenCon.

So when someone says

QUOTE (BitBasher)
Hehehe, have faith, there'll be oversights and bugs, and as a result we'll get a FAQ just as useful as the current one!  wink.gif  biggrin.gif  grinbig.gif
it doesn't sound like developer-bashing to me. If the developers had a record of being masters of rule creation, able to foresee the most intricate problems and solve them elegantly, then perhaps such statements would be unwarranted (even in the apparently good-natured nature in which this one was made). But from what I've seen, the developers and freelancers are first and foremost good writers, and they don't magically also have the ability to make perfect rules the first time.

So there's a completely valid complaint here: since the developers are not infallible when it comes to rules-construction, creating a whole new set of rules almost from scratch (and it may as well be from scratch, since anything you import has to be tested again to make sure it still works!) leads to a set of rules with more flaws due to oversight than a repeatedly modified and refined set of rules updated by the same people.

Therefore, the answer to
QUOTE (Superbum)
Is everyone really this distrusting of Fanpro and have a complete lack of faith in their ability to put out a solid book?
should probably be, "Yeah, because it looks like they're biting off more than they can chew."

The other problem with change is that people who play SR presumably do so in part because they like SR more than many of the other games out there. If SR changes so that it no longer has the characteristics that make it more likable, then it is completely justified for those people to complain.

For example, all indications are that SR4 will make tactics less important than they were in SR3, primarily because tactically used pools are going away. For people who like the strategic aspect of the game (in contrast to relatively mindless d20 dice-rolling, for instance), this is unwelcome news.
Veracusse
It's not that I am distrusting of FanPro's abilities to produce a book. They have produced some pretty good books recently, some I have like better then others though. But SR4 is a new product and I am distrusting of FanPro putting out a new product. So far they have not done a good job of advertising it, and the info that they have released so far has actually had a negative impact. That is at least what it seems from the reaction here at Dumpshock. Of course I know that Dumpshock doesn't make up their entire fanbase ohplease.gif.

Here is a list of the reasons why I lack faith in FanPro's abilities:

1. Poor communication with their fanbase (remember that the faq is posted on the official website, not dumpshock), and virtually no marketing other than the faq.

2. Their deadline (that they artificially set for themselves) is less than 4 months away, and they are still in play-testing, and haven't finalized the system yet. That means to me that they are still in the development stage. If they had a year to go before release, then I would be a lot more comfortable with it.

3. The process of choosing playtesters was as transparent as a brick wall. How do we know that playtesters represent the fanbase, dumpshockers, or even people who have ever played shadowrun. Couldn't they have opened playtesting to the public domain and accepted applications from those interested and committed to play testing. It seems that the developers did an inside job on the playtesters bit. I know they tell us that the playtesters are representative of the fanbase, objective, and expert roleplayers sarcastic.gif, but really all we have is their word for it.

4. I trust FanPro to produce new material for SR3, not SR4. This is not new material for an already existing game, but changing an already existing game. I frankly, from what I have seen, do not trust them to make an entirely new game. Especially when that game is my favorite game.

Now these problems are primarily based on how FanPro has communicated with their fans, customers, and market. I belong to all three of those categories. Who knows, maybe SR4 will be the bomb, but from what they have shown us, we aren't convinced.

And to those calling us close minded for fearing change. Well I am a rational person, I can judge whether change is good for me or not. So far I am not convinced that this is a good change. I have a mind and I use it. How is that for arrogance?? nyahnyah.gif

Veracusse
Phantom Runner
We HATES filthy, nasty changes!...

No, we loves changes. Changes are our friends...

Changes wants to hurt us...to KILL us...Changes hates us!
Critias
QUOTE (Ellery)
For example, all indications are that SR4 will make tactics less important than they were in SR3, primarily because tactically used pools are going away. For people who like the strategic aspect of the game (in contrast to relatively mindless d20 dice-rolling, for instance), this is unwelcome news.

And it very clearly is something that we can pick up from "a few FAQs," for instance. That one day's worth of FAQ-answering shot in the left lung my hopes for SR4. Getting rid of player controlled pools, getting rid of variable TNs, and spewing that laughable crap about what isn't changing, all in one day -- that's where my hopes and opinions on SR4 took a 180 (and if you read my post up to that day, and then on that day, it very clearly shows that).

I'm not against change, generally. I'm against changing things I like, and very specifically turning them into things I don't.
Superbum
For example, all indications are that SR4 will make tactics less important than they were in SR3, primarily because tactically used pools are going away.  For people who like the strategic aspect of the game (in contrast to relatively mindless d20 dice-rolling, for instance), this is unwelcome news.

To be fair, you can have just as much strategy or tactics in any d20 game as you can in SR3. That has nothing to do with dice rolls. To argue that a loss in extra dice means a loss in tactics is more opinionated than fact. I could counter argue that you are only complaining about a loss of "tactical pool" only because when you min/max out a new char you wont have 15 dice to roll for any given test.
SirBedevere
Patrick, thanks for giving us the heads up about print lead time. It's a lot less than I was afraid of. smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Bull)
Calm down kids...

Bull, you've known me for a long time. I am being calm.
Veracusse
QUOTE (Superbum @ May 10 2005, 07:02 PM)
For example, all indications are that SR4 will make tactics less important than they were in SR3, primarily because tactically used pools are going away.  For people who like the strategic aspect of the game (in contrast to relatively mindless d20 dice-rolling, for instance), this is unwelcome news.

To be fair, you can have just as much strategy or tactics in any d20 game as you can in SR3. That has nothing to do with dice rolls. To argue that a loss in extra dice means a loss in tactics is more opinionated than fact. I could counter argue that you are only complaining about a loss of "tactical pool" only because when you min/max out a new char you wont have 15 dice to roll for any given test.

That is a completely bad counter argue. What Critias is getting at is that the rules for tactical combat pools, is that they capture certain tactics that are relevant to the game. It has nothing to do with roleplaying, and everything to do with how the rules represent a given situation. The rules allow for a certain type of tactics that SR3 fans in general are rather fond of. Taking this away takes away what we are fond of. Your counter argument is utter BullShit!

Veracusse

Edit: I was also refering to Superbum's response to Ellery's post above.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Eldritch @ May 10 2005, 01:01 PM)
Jeeze - Sensitive?

More like fed up, Eldritch.
Look, He's not bashing - calling the devs, et F***ups would be bashing.  Calling then Talentless hacks would be bashing.  That's not what he said.

THis was more a camel's back issue. Almost every word he's said on this forum about SR4 has been negative and taking oblique shots at the developers et al.

The same could be said for you, too. Usually I'm able to count to ten and drive on, but it's been building up for a while.
So what's your beef?

My beef is people who claim to know what's going on, based on the limited information released to the public (and I've not been altogether happy with how the FAQs came out). I'm not blaming anyone for being anxious, but Jesus, people! Are you really that distrustful of us?
If these comments are winding your shorts up that much, then you should take a week off, relax and worry about the wedding.

I am relaxed. That's one of the reasons I've been able to prowl these forums recently.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Superbum)
I could counter argue that you are only complaining about a loss of "tactical pool" only because when you min/max out a new char you wont have 15 dice to roll for any given test.

You could also argue that house cats hunt and eat people, but it doesn't make it true. Ellery is perhaps the last person to whom that comment should be addressed.

That said, there have been plenty of very eloquent arguments proffered in the last two months about how it would make SR less tactical or strategic just as well that the people who throw all their CP into one attack are generally the biggest losers in the tactical thinking department, and represent in no way any aspect of the argument.
Superbum
That is a completely bad counter argue.  What Critias is getting at is that the rules for tactical combat pools, is that they capture certain tactics that are relevant to the game.

I wasn't countering a post by Critias, read again

It has nothing to do with roleplaying, and everything to do with how the rules represent a given situation. The rules allow for a certain type of tactics that SR3 fans in general are rather fond of.  Taking this away takes away what we are fond of.

Nope. It has everything to do with roleplaying (you know....the R&P in RPG). Any situation you find yourself in is because of an action you roleplayed. If it is your style to hide behind crates and fire guns blindly there are rules for that situation. If it is your style to stand out in the open and fire machine guns like a mad man while soaking barrett rounds to the head then there are rules for that situation. Complaing about the loss of pools (extra dice) tells me that you do a lot of over the top actions and need those dice to pull them. This further tells me that you min/max a lot and have a slightly higher than normal power style. I am not against this type of play as many people play like this. All I am saying is that tactics will not die due to a loss of extra dice being rolled.

The rules allow for a certain type of tactics that SR3 fans in general are rather fond of.  Taking this away takes away what we are fond of.  Your counter argument is utter BullShit!

Veracusse

The rules allow for a certain type of PLAY (not tactics) that SOME (not all) SR3 fas are rather fond of. Taking this away takes away of what YOU are fond of. My counter argument is bullshit (one word).
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Superbum)

IMHO, they have been doing a good job so far with all the SR3 books they have released. So I am kinda confused as to why you all think SR4 will require a FAQ at release.....

Yes. From what I've seen so far, I am very much distrustful of Fanpro.

They have written some good story material in the last year or two, have expanded the game setting into 6 of the seven continents (Africa has been touched on here and there, but there are 49 countries in Africa and maybe 1/5 to 1/4 of them or their successors have been touched upon). However, they have also done so at the expense of creating something I like to think of as Law & Order: Shadowrun. That is, a shocking number of RL events have found parallels in Shadowrun since Mike M took over, but have become even more pronounced since Rob took over. It's the equivalent of someone once joking that you could predict the plotlines of next month's L&O episodes if you read the NY Post. Finally, things don't stand up to scrutiny upon closer inspection. My favorite example is SOTA64, which I was ecstatic about when it first came out. However, upon further review and multiple readings we get the debate about Hermeticism or my criticsm elsewhere about the police chapter which was probably prompted in part by my reading of GURPS Cops (once again, another victim of the GURPS Sourcebook Law) which blew away SOTA64 and Lone Star. One of my more clever moments was to notice that the UCAS has no 14th amendment, and that allows local and state cops to do anything they want without federal reprecussion if the states give them the power. It is then followed by the expectation of how thoroughly archaic and conservative the UCAS judiciary would be in restricting the feds from going after the states if they decided to repeal due process from the state constitution (The Rehnquist Court is a bunch of communists compared to the Ordell Court that would exist in SR in 2005).

That's just the stuff they're good at--the storytelling. I don't know how good they will be at rulemaking. Most of what has been done has been built upon the backs of things that existed under another line developer. However, if the FAQ is any evidence of dev intent (which it shouldn't be, but is), then between the SR3 FAQ and SR4 FAQ I am becoming very concerned with their vision of SR compared to mine along with the ability to produce a consistent and coherent rule system.
Superbum
That said, there have been plenty of very eloquent arguments proffered in the last two months about how it would make SR less tactical or strategic just as well that the people who throw all their CP into one attack are generally the biggest losers in the tactical thinking department, and represent in no way any aspect of the argument.

Again, How does using extra dice in combat make you more tactical? No one has yet to tell me this. I have been playing both DnD and SR for many many years and when comparing the DnD d20 system to SR3 I cannot personally say that I need more dice to be any more tactical or strategic than I can be in either system. I love both systems dearly but to be honest when I am using a sword to hit 2 targets standing next to me while trying to keep said mobs away from my team I am going to be rolling WAY less dice in a d20 game but JUST as a tactical/strategic.

The argument makes no sense to me at all, IMHO. To call what I am saying utter bullshit isn't humble at all. Just my .2 nuyen, sorry.
Crimsondude 2.0
Where did you ever get the impression that anything I say here is said humbly?

The arguments have been made. I am not going to bother repeating them for you, though.
Critias
I will.

QUOTE (Superbum @ May 10 2005, 02:35 PM)
Complaing about the loss of pools (extra dice) tells me that you do a lot of over the top actions and need those dice to pull them. This further tells me that you min/max a lot and have a slightly higher than normal power style.

It doesn't tell you any of that. That's what you assume incorrectly.

I don't like pools because they give me "more dice," I like pools because they let me control what dice I'm rolling. They let me react to a threat with just the level I think the threat deserves. Combat pools -- me having them, and my opponents having them -- means I have to think before I act. It means I'm never very sure just what dice the other guy is gonna roll. It means I have some say in whether my next attack hits or not, it means it's my call if I go all-out on one shot or save something to just bolster every attack this round. It means I can try to dodge when the GM throws a nasty NPC at me, it means the NPC can dodge if I get lucky on a tough shot, it means every opponent is to be recognized as a potentially serious threat and it means I can treat them as such by remaining wary and holding onto a few dice to dodge with. I am surgical with my CP expenditures. Ask my other players -- or even better, ask my GMs.

CP means I think, I don't just sling a d20 (or even a handfull of d6's) and cross my fingers.

But you don't get that. You think it just lets me add to some Troll's soak until I can soak "barret rounds to the head," while I "fire a machinegun like a madman," or whatever the fvck you said. That quote tells me you don't have any idea how Combat Pool can really be used to control the ebb and flow of a combat, keep good characters alive, and reward smart players with success.

And Combat Pool and a desire for it -- and the ability and necessity to wield it correctly -- has nothing to do with a game's power level. That's what karma pool is for. Combat Pool is needed quite a bit more by starting characters against a competent GM than it is by anyone with 3+ karma pool under their belt. Over the top action sh!t is all karma pool. Keeping your sh!t alive is all Combat Pool.
Adam
1.  Poor communication with their fanbase (remember that the faq is posted on the official website, not dumpshock), and virtually no marketing other than the faq.

FanPro is doing full page ads and multiple page articles in many trade magazines, Games Quarterly, Game Trade Magazine, the Origins pre-reg and onsite booklet, the GenCon onsite and pre-reg booklet, etc. We're also a level four sponsor of National Games Week in November -- the only other companies at or above our level in this promotion are Wizards of the Coast, Eagle Games, Pokemon TCG / Nintendo, Palladium, and White Wolf. More info about our involvement in National Games Week will be coming soon. [And National Games Week really does mean "International Games Week" this year, as MSM have expanded operations for the second year.]

2.  Their deadline (that they artificially set for themselves) is less than 4 months away, and they are still in play-testing, and haven't finalized the system yet.  That means to me that they are still in the development stage.  If they had a year to go before release, then I would be a lot more comfortable with it.

We're at the sa me stage that most publishers releasing titles at GenCon are in, honestly. I'm doing work on two major new editions for GenCon for two different companies, and things are right on schedule. wink.gif
Superbum
The bullshit comment is from Veracusse, not you. Sorry for the confusion.

And I have read the arguments and I still don't see it. Losing dice will not change anything even if its only 1 to 2 dice a turn.
Critias
If the arguments don't do it, feel free to stop by www.shadowland.org and ask around for a good dice-rolling page to show you a blow-by-blow of competent combat pool usage. Tell 'em who sent you, tell 'em what you're after. Maybe seeing it work and reading the die rolls will expand your narrow horizons a little, and make you understand what a vital part of Shadowrun's character-driven combat system is being snipped off.

Anyways. I've answered Torzzz's (or whoever many z's go there) question, and I didn't set out to turn this into another "combat pool is important" vs "duhh, no it's not" thread. I'm done with that topic. You can read up on it, or you can't. No loss to me if you don't understand.
Superbum
Critias, sounds to me like you use CP the same way any smart player would. I, however, do not see it being a loss in tactics to lose CP altogether because I also play other RPGs where there are no extra dice to be used. To call them mindless is incorrect.

If you played DnD and just sat there rolling dice without thinking about your actions then I feel sorry for you that your GM sucked and didn't challenge you more.

I GM/DM both SR3 and DnD 3.5 and I regularly challenge my players regardless of the setting or rules. While I love CP (never said I didn't) I do however recognize that it is not needed to have a challening encounter for your players. Ask my players how I GM/DM. I have a group full or rules lawyers and I constantly have to tweak the stats of things on the fly to catch them off guard and they are just as precise and calculating in combat in DnD as they are in SR3.

You think tactics will die, fine. It's your opinion. I think it will be good either way. Thats my opinion.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Superbum @ May 10 2005, 12:55 PM)
1) If you are not going to buy the book then quit bitching about it and post elsewhere. We enthusiats do not need to come here and see your naysaying.

<Toned down in deference to Bull's request>

You're absolutely full of it. Just because you've decided to be a bloody Pollyanna about this doesn't mean you're any more of a Shadowrun enthusiast than we are. Get this through your skull: if we didn't love the game, we wouldn't give a flying fuck about the revision, good or bad.

Patrick Goodman: has the entire staff changed, or are the people who gave us the oh-so-wonderful FAQ still largely running the show? We've been given almost nothing to trust the developers on here, and a lot to mistrust. You want us to be positive about SR4? GIVE US SOMETHING TO BE POSITIVE ABOUT. I know that's neither your job nor your right, but for fuck's sake back away from the info you've got that we don't, look at what we've been shown, and see if it looks good. I'm sure you're a great person, but I'm not going to trust you because of that when you say that the game's still fine. I have no reason to. I don't know you personally, I don't know your playing style, I don't know how other games you've playtested have turned out, anyone with as little information as I have about you who does trust you about this is a fool.

Look, we're taking the developers at the value of their past work. I cannot drive this point home enough: that past work includes the FAQ.

~J
Critias
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 10 2005, 03:07 PM)
We've been given almost nothing to trust the developers on here, and a lot to mistrust. You want us to be positive about SR4? GIVE US SOMETHING TO BE POSITIVE ABOUT.

What are you talking about? They already did. Stop being so negative!

Q. What haven’t you changed in SR4?
A. Many things. There are still 5 basic metatypes to choose from in the basic rules. Contacts remain an integral part of the game. There will be 16 Sample Characters that you can start with. Karma is still used as the experience award. The focus of the game is still on teams of operatives combining skills and resources to accomplish criminal or psuedo-criminal missions. And so on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012