Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Confused Orc Adept Needs Help - Foci, Geas...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Edward
Making nuyen between jobs is sometimes a saw point.

Some archetypes can do so very easily (the profit margin on force 1 reach 2 weapon foci is greater than oricalcum but they may be harder to sell and count as a material link unless first bonding is with somebody other than you. Usually only the case for commissioned work) deckers can steal extra pay data and some riggers can work as part time mechanics

But there are 2 problems with this type of behaviour.

First the question of ether its in character and why you still run the shadows when your making a lot more money from your side business, if you have enchanting 4+ and the will to spend your working life in an alchemy lab then you can retire to a (relatively) safe and comfortable career. Even gain the security of corporate citizenship.

Second is balance. If you make an extra 44K every couple of runs (that being the profit on the oricalcum scam) within a few sessions you will be far better equipped than the rest of the team. Quite possibly more than doubling your income. While this may be something your character would do, from a meta game point of view it is not exactly fair.

How to increase your stealth has been well described but I will explant the relevance of the geasa.

When you finally initiate and get another power point you can impose a limit on when a power can be used thus reducing its cost buy 25%, for example a level of IA stealth would cost .25 power points. A level of IA stealth that could only be used when wearing camo clothing appropriate to the terrain would only cost 0.1875 power points (makes the selectable camo suite very useful but if you have to wear a suite you will not be able to use this power)

You would have to talk to your GM about what geasa he considers appropriate, as you see above not all agree.

If you want a bit of extra karma try to go for the RP awards every session. Make the table laugh, do something dramatic, be a hero, do something the GM didn’t expect. There I no limit on these beyond GM generosity and they where put in to encourage just that kind of behaviour.

Edward
Critias
Keep in mind, though, a Geas can only be taken for a power that costs 1.0 or more (given the "to a minimum of _____" clause in the write-up of how Geasa work).
Edward
QUOTE (Critias)
Keep in mind, though, a Geas can only be taken for a power that costs 1.0 or more (given the "to a minimum of _____" clause in the write-up of how Geasa work).

I missed that one, opps,

In checking up on it I did find this line.
QUOTE (MITS p 33)

if, in the game master’s opinion, a geasa dose not adequately limit the use of a power, he may disallow the geasa

Edward
Leviathan
The Oricalcum thing is certainly far far out of character (and about thirty points out of karma). I'm currently chatting to my DM about just going through a crowd and pick-pocketing, hopefully to earn enough cash to get out of my current 'home'. Though I am guessing I could get a job as a freelance security expert of some kind (My GM has rolled Electronics and B/R Electronics into the one skill, and I've got Electronics (Security Systems) 4/6. I also have huge amounts of knowledge - Corp Secirity and Corp Tactics, not sure what I can do there between runs though.

Edward - Thank you for your nicely succinct comment on geas, I think I actually get whats going on now.

As to powers, Wall Running was one I was seriously thinking about for my next power point, though if I can get my head around it, Geasing the Wall Running leaves me enough Karma for one point of enhanced skill Athletics right?
Altheas
Since people were so intruiged at my caculations for determing the cost for a suit of ruthenium, I decided to clarify the issue somewhat. Firstly, what was discussed was essentially the equivalent of a loose set of clothing, as distinct from a poncho. The suit would be somewhat baggy to allow for an Ork to carry useful items inside of it, as well as including a hood to avoid the 'floating head' syndrome.

Taking from M&M, I estimated approximately 2m worth of ruthenium would be needed to achieve this effect, considering the complexity of it all. (loose clothing is hardly ideal for a ruthenium outfit, as well as a few other modifications that were requested) This amounts to 50k, taking into account the base street index of 2, and a 25% mark-up for Melbourne prices, as listed in Target: Awakened Lands. (I classified this under armour/accessories) The four imaging scanners came to 25k with these mark-ups as well. Finally, since this is a custom-job, programming the system to cope with the lack of uniformity of the outfit I ruled that it would require considerable expertise, thus the 6k addition at the end, since it'd take a while, with reasonable expertise to get the system working properly.

Apologies for the rant, but considering some of the earlier comments voiced, I felt compelled to justify my reasoning.
Leviathan
*Salutes* Hey there GM, havn't seen you on the boards here before!

Your calculations are fine, I can save 75k by steal.. *cough* acquiring the items in a run. I hear theres a place running five fingered discounts at walk away prices.
Critias
So, right. Those price mods, they're official? From the Wastelands book, huh? Weird. I mean, it makes sense -- MFB threw together a similar idea for a globe-spanning merc game once, where our nation of origin could modify the availability and price of gear... but I never knew they made such a thing official.

Is there some reason no one does a lucrative business selling ruthenium to Aussies in exchange for weapon foci, then selling the foci in Seattle to buy ruthenium, then back to Aussies, etc, etc?
Leviathan
QUOTE (Critias)
So, right. Those price mods, they're official? From the Wastelands book, huh? Weird. I mean, it makes sense -- MFB threw together a similar idea for a globe-spanning merc game once, where our nation of origin could modify the availability and price of gear... but I never knew they made such a thing official.

Is there some reason no one does a lucrative business selling ruthenium to Aussies in exchange for weapon foci, then selling the foci in Seattle to buy ruthenium, then back to Aussie, etc, etc?

Now you're making me wish I'd made a 'face' character with the "Contacts" edge...
nick012000
QUOTE (Edward)
If you make an extra 44K every couple of runs (that being the profit on the oricalcum scam) within a few sessions you will be far better equipped than the rest of the team. Quite possibly more than doubling your income. While this may be something your character would do, from a meta game point of view it is not exactly fair.

Heh. That was the tame version of the orichalum biz.

The plan I'm planning on executing with my current character is the following:
1. Find venture capatist that isn't affilliated with the megacorps.
2. After explaining idea to him, buy up some nice, defensable defenses for the business.
3. Find a mage who's willing to sign a contract with you. Pay him a million nuyen.gif / year salary. He has to take and maintain geasa for any magic loss he suffers.
4. Put mage under the knife. Install the following cyberware & bioware in him (all betaware/cultured):
-Grade 7 Skillwires
-Expert Chipjack Driver 3
-Encephalon 2
-Implanted Skillchip (Enchanting 14)
-Cerebral Accelerator 2
5. Buy armored car. Modify armored car for rigger use, mount a machine gun in turret, maybe pack on a couple rocket launchers.
6. Hire a few of street sams/adepts, a rigger, and a decker as security. If one of those street sams/adepts is a dual natured SURGE changling, all the better.
7. Put cybered-up mage to work in you enchanting labs. He rolls 17 dice vs. target number 4 (due to geasa) for test, and so produces 8.5 units of orichalum every month.
8. Profit!
9. Enter world of corporate politics. Fend off shadowrunning teams.
Nythrun
You might actually be able to chip Enchanting (I do not recall, offhand, if the prohibition is specifically against Sorcery/Conjuring or against all Magical Skills in each citation). And you'd only need a rating seven skillsoft if that were the case (as rating seven wires can't run a rating fourteen skillsoft).

The bad news is:

The Cerebral Booster 2 only gives one Task Pool die.
You would need DIMAP on that chip in order to use any pool dice at all.
But you don't need it, as Task Pool is for INT-linked skills, and Enchanting is WIL-linked so Task Pool is useless.
The initial outlay is going to cost well over a million nuyen...
...and you end up with orichalcum, which has no Street Index, availability, or Legality and as such has an undefined sale price. Which matters only if the magician doesn't bolt after the first month of slave-quality labor with three-quarters of a year's salary.

For Leviathan's character I think the already suggested private detective work is probably better. Stress test security systems at new buildings and case them while you're on the job. Or if you have a chopshop contact, you can always steal cars wink.gif
nick012000
QUOTE (Nythrun)
You might actually be able to chip Enchanting (I do not recall, offhand, if the prohibition is specifically against Sorcery/Conjuring or against all Magical Skills in each citation). And you'd only need a rating seven skillsoft if that were the case (as rating seven wires can't run a rating fourteen skillsoft).

The bad news is:

The Cerebral Booster 2 only gives one Task Pool die.
You would need DIMAP on that chip in order to use any pool dice at all.
But you don't need it, as Task Pool is for INT-linked skills, and Enchanting is WIL-linked so Task Pool is useless.
The initial outlay is going to cost well over a million nuyen...
...and you end up with orichalcum, which has no Street Index, availability, or Legality and as such has an undefined sale price. Which matters only if the magician doesn't bolt after the first month of slave-quality labor with three-quarters of a year's salary.

For Leviathan's character I think the already suggested private detective work is probably better. Stress test security systems at new buildings and case them while you're on the job. Or if you have a chopshop contact, you can always steal cars wink.gif

If memory serves, the implanted chips are counted as half their rating for skillwire stuff, so your rating 7 skillwires can run a rating 14 chip. As for him bolting... this is why you add the pseudo-BTL option to the skillchip. wink.gif

I know Cerebral Booster 2 only grants a single Task Pool die, but it stacks with the Encephalon's 2. And I thought the Expert Chipjack driver let you use pool dice for your skillwires?
Typhon
So with this get rich quick Enchanting Pyramid Scheme aside , I think you should totally go for the Sneak suit ... just remember to get some either poncho style pockets in it for your equipment , or maybe just have a matching ruthenium duffle bag of some sort

he Blitzen if your on , nick012000's money making scheme reminds me so much of Jarreds D&D Antics ...
"I skin the dragon ... and I'm going to play this other character while this one spends 6 months to forge armor out of it ."

or my personal favorite

"Damn I died ... hey Typhon hold on to my guys equipment and give it to my next character"

so much metagaming makes me a sad panda
Nythrun
QUOTE (nick012000)

If memory serves, the implanted chips are counted as half their rating for skillwire stuff, so your rating 7 skillwires can run a rating 14 chip. As for him bolting... this is why you add the pseudo-BTL option to the skillchip. wink.gif

I know Cerebral Booster 2 only grants a single Task Pool die, but it stacks with the Encephalon's 2. And I thought the Expert Chipjack driver let you use pool dice for your skillwires?

Actually, you're right - it's half the ASSIST rating too, not just the MP rating, so rating 14 would be alright, were it not for "Magic Skills such as Sorcery and Conjuring cannot be made into activesofts."(SR3, 296). Chipjack Expert Drivers grant Task Pool, the ability to use Pool of any kind comes from the DIMAP rating of your activesoft.

Might also want to save up for eight more imaging scanners for that Ruthenium burnoose - at +12 to vision TNs it's better than invisibility and effectively fools cameras without a sensor rating.
Nikoli
Is there an IA power for Enchanting? I could see going 8 enchanting then initiate twice and get 8 levels for 16 dice, no gaesa.
Nythrun
No Improved Ability: Magical Skill, nor enchanting focus either.

Ruthenium kaftans for all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012