Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playtest Blog Update
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Eldritch
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 28 2005, 06:35 PM)
Are you serious? I only ask because I don't know where you're coming from with this, "people believe that they hate the game and are deliberately trying to fuck things up" nonsense unless it's a joke. Even then, it's a bad one.

Well, when people start spouting off about how this and that is changing, and those changes are fucking things up, it sure sounds like people think the writers are trying to fuck things up. It doesn't help when you say that the developers and the playtesters are deluding themselves about the game remaining Shadowrun.

Is everyone criticizing things saying this? Of course not. But there are enough people out there doing that it's a little tough to ignore, no matter how thick one's skin is.

So yes, I'm quite serious. Or was the remark about being delusional just a joke, too?

First off, most of os that have been speaking against SR 4 have been pretty clear; That this is our opinion of the rules that have been presented to us.

Second, I don't think the devs are trying to F*** up the game - but it sounds like - to us - that they are - once again our opinion.

You seem to be taking it personally that we are stating our opinion of the changes. Did you make the changes? Was it your descision to make the changes? No (I'm guessing) But you took the opportunity to jump onboard. *Shrug* for whatever reason.

Your taking it personally is your problem. I'm not saying this to be a butthead, but thats really the way it is. You must enjoy the stress that this is causing you - you must enjoy the arguing, name calling and all that has gone with it.

Why?? Becuase here you are again. After a very public leave taking of the SR4 forums. What? Becuase you moved your discussion over a couple boards makes you a better person?

Dude - Ignore it. Get a grip. Chill. Use the force - what ever, but jeeze quit letting this stress you out. It's just a forum, about a game.

Sorry if this comes off snippy, it's not meant to be.
Charon
What I like the most about Patrick's passionate defense of SR4 is that his taste in RPG seem similar to mine. This is making me fairly optmistic I will like SR4.

I'm Yoda, btw. The thing about him is, if Qui-Gon had actually stopped to listen to him in Phantom Menace we wouldn't have this Vader problem.

Actually, if Annakin hadn't been trained as a Jedi, Palpatine would likely have toppled the Republic with count Dooku and 20 years later there would have been no Luke Skywalker to take the Sith out...
Eldritch
Or Plaply woulda come to Qui-Gon; "Since the council is not willing to allow him to train, I'd be happy to take the poor boy in...." And we woulda had a Lord Vader trained from the age of 9.

Opps - derailment - But I'm a sucker for Star Wars what ifs!
Adam
Dude - Ignore it. Get a grip. Chill. Use the force - what ever, but jeeze quit letting this stress you out. It's just a forum, about a game.

And that game, to some of us, is [part of] our job/work. It's hard to not take something seriously when it takes up such a large portion of your life. Watching discussions go back and forth and back and forth [no matter what side of the fence you're on] is tiring and frustrating. There's a reason I'm not around very much lately, although I didn't bother to "announce" it, because we all know how well that sort of thing goes down. smile.gif

And, to say something tangental and positive: as of the time I made this post, this thread -- about what should be included in SR4, rules- and source-wise, is the sort of positive productive thread that makes me want to hear what people have to say.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 28 2005, 09:44 PM)
Well, when people start spouting off about how this and that is changing, and those changes are fucking things up, it sure sounds like people think the writers are trying to fuck things up. It doesn't help when you say that the developers and the playtesters are deluding themselves about the game remaining Shadowrun.

May I make a suggestion, then? Don't assume things, especially about things said on the Internet.

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
I've played this game for 16 years, out in the real world and not on Shadowland (which, in spite of their apparent opinion of themselves, is not the only bastion of SR fans and role-players in the world)

HAHAHAHA

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. Really. That's just great.

and I've seen a buttload of people who plunk a 6 down in INT and a 6 in QUI just to get that 6 Reaction. No kind of back-story justification, they just want that Reaction as high as they can crank it so they have more of a chance to go first when Initiative gets rolled.

Good. Good for you.

You're ability to draw out things that don't exist out of thin air is incredible. I never said you couldn't have an opinion. In all my years on DS and DR I've never said such a thing.

I just don't really care what yours is, especially after you said in so many words that you were picking up your ball and going home... And then made this thread. There's a big difference.

Oh, wait, that's right. I'm not allowed to exaggerate or generalize. Silly me. I do need to remember that one of these days.

And if I ever said anything even remotely similar to that, you might have a point. But since I didn't... You don't.

You get a naturally Intelligent ganger with no formal education, but a mind for deductive reasoning and naturally heightened perceptive skills, and people scream bloody murder because he's a, "rocket scientist."

I swear, I must have been playing a different game from the rest of you for the last decade plus, and still do, because I don't see what you're seeing.

You really think highly of yourself and that electronic ivory tower you play in. You should try playing out in the world sometime.

I'm sure all the people playing games in Welcome to the Shadows appreciate that sentiment. What difference does it make? Because I don't have to sit around in a gaming store or someone's living room doing the same thing I do every day online, I'm in an "electronic ivory tower?" That doesn't even make any sense. Am I an an "electronic ivory tower" because the medium I use to game is vehemently adherent to the canon for sanity's sake? Am I in an "electronic ivory tower" because I've gamed with hundreds of players of varying experience in the last 11 years?

You don't know anything about me
You don't know anything about my gaming style
You don't know anything about SL.

Taken into account, I don't care what you think because you don't know what you're talking about.

Beyond all that SL has nothing to do with this, and I don't appreciate you trying to cast the entirety of SL in some dismal light just to take a cheap shot at me.

But what I think of myself, and my gaming group, has nothing to do with this discussion. The only thing that has anything to do with this discussion is that I don't see how you arrived from A to B. I've tried, but I don't see it.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
CD2.0, I'm with you.

I re-read this three times. Each time, I wanted it to read:

"CD2, I choose you." grinbig.gif

In response to the whole P. Goody vs. DSF debacle, can't we all just get along? So there is a contingent of people on DSF who are skeptical about SR4? So P. Goody is staunchly in defense of its merits? Yay for both sides. Lets all wait for the game to reach our grubby little hands before we start murdering each other.
Crimsondude 2.0
Or maybe we can be skeptical as Hell and so mistrusting of SR4 that any goodness will seem extra good.

Nah.... That's just more crazy talk from the poo-flinging monkey.

Or maybe it's because every time I get my hopes up about anything related to SR, they're crushed like a bug. Maybe that's why dozens of submissions are in landfills across the country and on two continents.

Nah. CD's a crazy beligerent asshole in his "electronic ivory tower."
Ol' Scratch
That never works. When you go into something fully expecting to hate it, you will hate it. It's basic psychology. Note that this is opposed to going into something as a skeptic or not really caring either way.
Crimson Jack
Its true of my movie-going experiences, that's for sure.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Or maybe we can be skeptical as Hell and so mistrusting of SR4 that any goodness will seem extra good.

Nah.... That's crazy talk.

Um, yes. Yes, it is.

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
That never works. When you go into something fully expecting to hate it, you will hate it. It's basic psychology.

No, it's basically specious psychology. You know better than that.
Crimsondude 2.0
That never works.  When you go into something fully expecting to hate it, you will hate it.  It's basic psychology.  Note that this is opposed to going into something as a skeptic or not really caring either way.

Um... I did say "skeptical" Doc.

QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ May 29 2005, 01:43 AM)
Its true of my movie-going experiences, that's for sure.

My movie experience relates to waiting desperately for 18 months for the release of a movie only to sit through it halfway and not walk out only because of the logic defying powers of hope.

Whereas, I've been pleasantly surprised by movies I went in not wanting to see.
Ol' Scratch
Again, that's because you went in as a skeptic or not really caring about the movie. As opposed to actively hating it, which is how you clearly seem to feel about what's been revealed about SR4 so far. EDIT: And yes, you did say skeptical. But the context of your posts indicate that you've already made your decision.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ May 28 2005, 11:43 PM)
When you go into something fully expecting to hate it, you will hate it.

CD2: I'm referring to just the hate angle of it. Not about being nuetral to it.
Crimsondude 2.0
No, plenty were movies I had to be dragged to see. I hated the very idea of them being put onto celluloid.

I don't know how many times I have to say it before people listen, but my feelings about SR4 are not those of hate.

They are of mistrust, and doubt. How can I hate something I know nothing about?
Crimson Jack
Well, technically you know "something" about SR4. Enough to warrant your current reaction. Right?
Crimsondude 2.0
I'll give you that. I know enough to know to react that way.

But I can't understand, and it annoys the piss out of me, how people think I hate it when I've said that I don't umpteen times already in the last week alone.
mfb
not to steal CD's thunder, but Funk? i went into SR4 loving it. look through the threads--way back at the beginning, me, Critias, Rask, and a few others were defending SR4 against all the naysayers. now, we're among its biggest detractors. nobody slipped anti-SR4 in my coffee. i don't even drink coffee. i dislike SR4 because of what i've seen, and what i know of the system.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

"CD2, I choose you." grinbig.gif

"I choo-choo - choose you!"

sorry, couldn't resist either
Ol' Scratch
I really don't like the new dice mechanic as its been described. At all. Same goes for the Edge attribute and several other things. Especially sinceI firmly belive you don't have to dumb something down to simplify it. But you also don't see me going around rampantly stomping and screaming about how evil the game is, or worse, the developers are simply because they're being optimistic about it (especially since they're able to see the whole picture rather than a few small pieces, and thus have a more informed basis for that optimism).

I'll probably join the side of dissent when the book is actually released, though, unless it somehow coagulates into being greater than the sum of its (currently revealed) parts. But for now there's just no point in getting one's feathers ruffled since, by and large, we're completely ignorant about the new rules... so getting angry and spiteful about those rules without really knowing what they are is just plain out stupid.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
But I can't understand, and it annoys the piss out of me, how people think I hate it when I've said that I don't umpteen times already in the last week alone.

Yeah, that would get old I suppose.
fistandantilus4.0
I agree on most of those. Not a big fan of edge, still wondering how the mechanics will work out. But the pointless arguing and nit picking over "I said this", " didn't say that" is just annoying.
So Simpson references are a nice alternative.
Gambitt
As yoda said

QUOTE (Yoda)
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Arethusa
Well, that sure was pertinent to the discussion at hand.
Gambitt
It was meant to be wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ May 29 2005, 02:09 AM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 28 2005, 11:52 PM)

Yeah, that would get old I suppose.

That's a huge understatement.

The worst part is... They're already going to get my money for the core book even the core book turns out to just be a hard book cover shell holding a vial of Rob Boyle's urine (Perhaps something like this.) inside.

So at what point did it become okay to piss on a guaranteed customer who's giving Fanpro my money and the postings of someone who really, really doesn't want SR4 to suck made for no other reason than to serve as a marker ("Did you think about this?")
Arethusa
I'd say probably around when you became guaranteed.

Rob Boyle will pee on us!
Mortax
I'll probably join the side of dissent when the book is actually released, though, unless it somehow coagulates into being greater than the sum of its (currently revealed) parts. But for now there's just no point in getting one's feathers ruffled since, by and large, we're completely ignorant about the new rules... so getting angry and spiteful about those rules without really knowing what they are is just plain out stupid.

I'm with you on this one.

Thus far, the rules that are coming out are not making me happy, but I'm going to give it a fair shot when it comes out. At the moment, I think it is a mistake to change so much. But, there is a decent chance I'm wrong and some things may finally work better, like deckers.

Hell, as long as the world info remanins good, I'll still by the books and back engineer the rules. After all, how many of us don't houserule ANYTHING and go completely cannon rules?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'd say probably around when you became guaranteed.

Touché.

At that point, what difference does it make?
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Mortax)
After all, how many of us don't houserule ANYTHING and go completely cannon rules?

My latest campaign, the one in which I had to twist every one of my players' collective arms to shelf their veteran characters for a sit, is completely canon. No house rules at all. Everyone is diggin' on it nicely.
Raskolnikov
They are not trying to make it terrible. You know that as expressed in conversations we have had, so I think you're comming off a little aggressive there.

However, there are definite aspects of the game it does not feel, to me, like they've fully thought through -or- their desired game is dramatically different from the theme, mood, and play of the current SR.
Wireknight
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 29 2005, 03:46 AM)
I've played this game for 16 years, out in the real world and not on Shadowland (which, in spite of their apparent opinion of themselves, is not the only bastion of SR fans and role-players in the world)...

You really think highly of yourself and that electronic ivory tower you play in. You should try playing out in the world sometime.

I'm disappointed. I'm not going to view that as an attack so much as an emotionally fueled mistake, one you will hopefully admit and apologize for. Everyone gets angry, and everyone says things that they regret, or at least regret the wording of, later. I believe that the quoted text is something of that nature.

That post has given this thread a seed that bears great potential to germinate into a Shadowland-centric flamewar wherein various value judgements about the user base of Shadowland, Shadowrun users at large, the user base of the Dumpshock forums, and individual posters to this particular message board. It will lead to lots of useless bickering, useless attacks and counter-attacks, everyone stating opinions they've stated lots of times before, in private and in public, under existing and prior usernames. There will be no facts, no resolutions, and simple and universal detriment to all who participate. I was highly tempted to not post to this thread as a result, but if I can head off a tired rehash (or glorious return to old battlegrounds?) then I'll end up preventing wasted time, suspensions of posting privileges, and overall headache.

What I think happened, Patrick, was that you are angry at Crimson Dude 2.0. He's using you as an example of people toeing the party line with SR4. This is reasonable of him, because you are among the most vocal supporters of the system, and he is one of the most vocal detractors. You are a good example, when he needs one, of someone who agrees and thus believes things that run counter to his own beliefs. I don't think it's ever personal for him, though, or at least it wasn't until it became personal for you, and you made it personal for him, and every other Shadowland user who is also a Dumpshock user.

I think you broke your promise to everyone, and to yourself. I think you've been reading the Shadowrun 4 forums after your announced departure. Crimson Dude's posts, to the Shadowrun 4 forums, have included specific mentionings of the Shadowland site, and the style of play there. Other Shadowland users have chimed in to contribute. That's where, if I deduce correctly, Shadowland got involved in this. I think that Crimson Dude said something that you took offense at, and that he may have mentioned Shadowland in the same post, or simply in the series of posts you took offense to. When he started posting here, you got pissed off, you took it personally, and you posted some bile directed and related to the posts of his that you read, mentioning Shadowland.

If the latter is not the case, and I assure you it is merely conjecture on my part, I apologize for the poor amateur detective work. The rest of my post, however, remains relevent. This is a bad path that this thread can go down, a bad seed that you planted. You didn't have to do it, and I think it was a mistake to do so. I think this unfortunate aspect of the thread need go no further, and that we can all return to the topic of the thread and learn from this experience. I don't want to make this more personal, but I also think that I should say something, when I have something to say. I believe a mistake was made. Everyone makes them.

Oh, and I'm a d10. Go figure.
Cain
Okay, here's the thing. I've also been playing Shadowrun since 89, and I've seen exactly what Patrick describes. I've seen far too many characters with maxed-out Int and Quick, simply so they can get the high reaction-- in fact, I saw it so much, it took me aback the first time I saw a character *without* it.

Does that mean I agree with the proposed changes? Nope, not at all. Adding more stats never gets rid of munchkins, it just gives them more room to maneuver. And I think adding more attributes is definitely the wrong way to go, if you're out to simplify a game. If you want a simpler game, you need to go for less attributes, not more-- Tri-Stat and Everway are decent examples of this sort of thing.

Patrick, what I think you don't understand is, most of us aren't questioning the intentions of the SR4 devs. I don't think anyone reasonably believes that they have anything but the greatest of love for the game. What we're doubting-- with good reason!-- is that this direction is the best for Shadowrun. Good intentions are fine and dandy, but you know what they say about the road to hell.

Now, here's some questions I have, which you should feel free to ignore if they interefere with your NDA:
  • Is there still a Dodge test in combat?
  • Are there replacements for tactical pools? (Such as the Action pool from SR QuickStart.)
  • Does the system run quicker overall, or does it take the same amount of time?
  • Has the average lethality of the game increased, decreased, or stayed about the same?
  • As a playtester, how many power levels have you run games for? And which ones? (e.g., Starting characters, 20-30 karma, 50-60 karma, 100+, etc.)
  • How many dice rolls are necessary for resolution of a given task, such as combat?
  • Is Edge mostly good for rerolls, like the existing Karma pool, or does it have a totally different mechanic?
  • Can you permanently "burn" Edge like karma pool, or can you just spend it?
  • Has anyone run a side-by-side comparison of similar scenarios in SR3 and 4, and rated them on how they're handled?
Wireknight
The "samurai with Intelligence of 6" thing was something I've done, myself. I never found it that hard to justify reasonably. This was largely a function of the Intelligence attribute not actually measuring what we typically define as Intelligence, or rather encompassing things beyond that simple scope. My street samurai wasn't Albert Einstein. He just possessed extremely acute instincts and sharp perceptions. He didn't have a plethora of scientific(or humanities) knowledge skills or a strong academic background; I spent extra knowledge skill points in other things, things more in tune with such a character's background.

It was unfortunate that Intelligence was the measure of both instinct and, based on its linkage to knowledge, technical, and language skills, actual mental acuity/capacity. It made for some oddities, to be certain, as a result. I am immensely pleased with the decision to subdivide Intelligence into Intuition and Logic, as it gives one the ability to create characters with sharp senses and a primal and reflexive speed to their mental processes, that are not possessed of much true intellectual gift, as well as intellectually gifted individuals with average or poor senses and ponderous mental speed.

While it was possible, but difficult to do well and believably, to justify your combat-oriented character's Intelligence of 6 (which, metagame-wise, you grabbed to maximize their Reaction) as being a genius, there were a lot of other possibilities, and other roles that the Intelligence attribute played, that you could just as easily chalk up this high Intelligence score to. Does admitting I did it just to get the high Reaction make me a bad roleplayer? No. Doing that and not being able to put my money where my mouth is, and pull it off in-game, in the most important realm, that overlays the purity of the mechanics, is what determines such things.

Frankly, most every character statistic decision I've made has been due to metagame interest in achieving certain effects within the bounds of the rules system. The fun part, for me, is taking this bundle of statistics, these actions I've granted my character the capability to perform, analyze their meaning, and flesh out a real personality and background that fits them so well you can't tell where one ends and the other begins. I'm sorry if people have been soured to the idea of doing things with purely statistical motivations, but I think that's the result of poor blending of this aspect with roleplay. Blending can be improved with time, and no real change to the game will allievate what is, at its core, a player-centered issue.
Ol' Scratch
Intelligence has never represented being highly educated or even a genius. In a nutshell it represents how sharp you are and how well you perceive the world around you. I believe the description of it in the SR3 sourcebook even goes out of its way to tell you that a low Intelligence doesn't mean you're stupid (and thus by default that a high Intelligence doesn't make you a genius).

There's nothing wrong with any type of character having a high Intelligence. Now having a mercenary with a street background who's never even seen what a school looks like, not to mention having no Reading/Writing skill over 3, having Physics (Quantum Theory) 5(7) or Rocket Science 6 or whatever... that's probably inappropriate.
fistandantilus4.0
I think my main concern is that they are n;t going to make it "SR lite". Weaker characters, harder to do most things out of the normal scope, more inside the box. I don't think that they are, and I think that a lot of the things they've mentioned could work out really well if done correctly.
I'm just waiting to see more. I hope Patrick can expand more one the "There is a Rule of Six and Rule of One". That has my interest.
Penta
My hope and prayer: Combat actually runs faster.

Which leads to something I'd love to see the devs or playtesters do:

Take a stopwatch when doing combat in its many forms.

Note how long a pass takes, a turn takes, and a whole combat takes.
Charon
My bet on the rule of one is that you botch if you have no successes and some 1s. The severity of the botch depends on the number of 1s, with just one 1 being fairly harmless.

Like every one else, I'm assuming the rule of 6 is simply the you reroll 6 for extra success. Another possibility would be that 6s count as two successes and 5s count as one. That's faster.
Critias
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
I've played this game for 16 years, out in the real world and not on Shadowland (which, in spite of their apparent opinion of themselves, is not the only bastion of SR fans and role-players in the world)....You really think highly of yourself and that electronic ivory tower you play in. You should try playing out in the world sometime.

I'm trying real hard not to just reply to this with "Fuck you." I could go on about how hilarious it is that a game designer talking on an internet forum wants to chastise us for not being in "the real world" often enough. I could insult you personally. I'm going to try not to. I'm really, really, going to try. While the post I'm about to type up instead is a bit more mature, it will also be quite a bit less concise.

You and CD don't agree on a lot of stuff. Simple fact. He disagrees with you on a lot of issues, and he's a vocal guy. It's the internet, guys should be expected to be vocal. Nature of the beast, and all that. He disagrees with you, he says so openly, and you don't seem to take it very well at all. You, Patrick, seem to have something wrong with you, deep inside, that's like some sort of magical column shift on the "response to social discourse" meter. You take disagreement as criticism. You take criticism as insult. I have no idea how you'd take an actual insult, but judging from your reactions to criticism you'd probably kill yourself or something. You need to learn how to take shit a lot less seriously, Patrick, because all that's going on right now is a bunch of people who love a game are worried about the changes that game's going through. You take it to heart when we say something vague like "the devs are doing..." or "what made the devs do...?" or "wow, I can't beleive the devs did..."

You have, several times, made a big deal about some comment or another posted somewhere on DS. Someone says something vaguely dispariging about the dev team, and you take it as some sort of blood insult. You check this place out during your honeymoon, then get all mad about it, then make a big deal about how you're not gonna read that whole SR4 forum again. Then you -- from what I can guess -- read that SR4 forum some more, get all in a tizzy about something CD said, and pick up on the (not secret, but only really publicized lately in the SR4 forum where you said you weren't going) fact that CD plays on SL.

Up until this point -- as you should well know from PMs and public posts -- you seem like a pretty decent guy. You come off as Piro from Megatokyo an awful lot, with your melodramatic responses to criticism, but you seemed to be an okay fella.

And then, you know what you go and do?

Something twice as bad as anything anyone's ever posted about "the devs." You knew right who you were talking to. You knew right what you were saying. You knew we're read it. You obviously meant it personally. We're a group of people that don't do a god-damned thing to you, but talk to you on an internet message board. We aren't redesigning your game, are we? We're not the voice of canon around here. We aren't charging you money to read our ideas. We're just a group of loyal customers who sometimes post to Dumpshock, too, to discuss a game we all like.

You make a choice to come to Dumpshock. You make the choice to read these posts. You make the choice to read through threads criticising or praising a product you -- in whatever small capacity -- help to produce. You've identified yourself as a figure that's a part of "them," you've repeatedly gone out of your way to make sure everyone knows that. No one can forget it. You don't let us. Whenever anything remotely disparaging has been said about SR4, you've made sure we all know how personally you took it. Whenever anything critical of a new product has been said, you've been the first to leap out in front of it and nobly take the shot yourself, instead.

And you know what you just did?

Because one guy -- Crimsondude -- disagrees with you, you decided to publically and openly insult some of the most loyal customers "your" product has ever had. You can't find a single person on Shadowland that's been playing this game religously for less than five years. More than half of us started role playing with this game at it's inception, have always been playing it, and play it more than any other. We play together in a big game, that's had hundreds of people posting to dozens of places at once, but at heart we're just a gaming group. A gaming group that's played this game for fifteen years, through Super Tuesday and Maria Mercurial, to SURGE and Brainscan and now in the last months before SR4. We're just a big gaming group. Instead of sitting at a table we sit at a computer, thousands of miles from one another. If the fact we're scattered all over the globe makes us less of a gaming group to you, fine. See the "fuck you" statement in paragraph one.

You can't find a group of people with more loyalty to the game. We're all uptight about SR4 because we love SR. As much as, if not more than, you and the rest of the dev team. If we didn't like this game, we wouldn't care about this game. And then, because CD and you don't see things eye to eye, you gotta talk shit to your customers. Insulting your own product's fans, because one of those fans thinks the game should go in a direction you don't think it should go in.

The dev team isn't the last bastion of Shadowrun fans, any more than Dumpshock is. Beleive it or not, no single internet site, from DS to SL to www.shadowrunrpg.org, is really the be-all, end-all, of Shadowrun fans and gamers. All it takes to love Shadowrun is a battered old copy of any book, a handfull of dice, and a bunch of people sitting at a table. No internet required. But that doesn't mean purposefully alienating any of these on-line groups, when speaking repeatedly and publically as an official mouthpiece of the company that makes the product, is a good idea.

Maybe you need to spend a little more time out in "the world." Because you don't talk to your customers like that at McDonald's and keep your job. You want a melodramatic reason to throw a drama queen fit and start (another) thread about how you shouldn't come to Dumpshock any more? You just gave yourself that reason.
Solstice
I have nuyen.gif 500 that says his pulse goes erratic by paragraph 3.....
Crimsondude 2.0
You forgot to mention that that the following freelancers most clearly have ties to Shadowland:

Dave Hyatt (creator)
Jason Levine (superuser)
Elissa Carey (superuser)
Peter Milholland (superuser)

Kagetenshi
If Hyatt created the site, why is it not valid?

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
Because he grew tired of Shadowrun and Shadowland, and had been less and less present for years before he left because he had other priorities. The days when he administered the site by himself were long gone nearly a decade ago. SL was always a hobby. I mean, he wrote up the original cgi-bin client back in 1994 in "a few days." (Interview Goodness). SL6 was designed more than five years ago in his spare time. A lot's changed since then, but it doesn't make it any less of a site because the only thing that matters is the Java client.

SL6 is a stable Java client, and has been for the last several years, and that is the only really important issue. I don't see any problems, and I've run it on pretty much every browser I can think of on Windows and Macs and used to run it on Unix/Irix/etc.

That is like asking why a brand new 911 Turbo S would be using last year's headlight design. It'll still rock your socks.
Crimson Jack
Intelligence has never represented being highly educated or even a genius. In a nutshell it represents how sharp you are and how well you perceive the world around you.

Agreed. For reference:
QUOTE (BBB @ p.41)
Intelligence represents a character's perceptual and analytical abilities, memorizing ability and raw brain power. It denotes how fast a character learns, adapts or remembers.  Low Intelligence does not mean stupidity; instead, it might denote a character who discounts things too quickly rather than seeing how he might use them.  Such a character may not think beyond the moment, may be easily distracted, or may simply rely on instinct rather than intellect.  High Intelligence, on the other hand, means a character can keep track of several things at once, integrate old memories with whatever he's working on now, and apply general principles to specific problems.  Such characters notice small details and learn fast - they may not have gone to school for years and years, but if someone competent explains something to them, they'll get it.

In a profession, such as shadowrunning, there's really no reason why one wouldn't have a higher than average Intelligence rating. At least if the character is planning on running the shadows for long. Intelligence is linked to part of the very core of any runner.

There is a very non-munchkiny reason why a player would max out Intelligence for any character he/she was building. The first character type that comes to mind when I think of professional criminals is not dull-witted tools. They have their place in cinema, but as far as someone that a player would want to play, I can't say I blame anyone for keeping their Intelligence rating high.
Crimsondude 2.0
Anyway... I was going to add, before I got detoured, that I don't understand any of this. I've worked with confidential information for a while, and been exposed to it's effects for even longer (comes from knowing kids whose parents couldn't tell them what they do for a living, or did so in broad and useless strokes). I'm coming from this from two places. First, I don't understand why, when given any confidential information, a person would want to talk about it, around it, or just try and sneak things past. It hasn't been particularly pleasing to read freelancers, devs, and/or playtesters talk about SR4 because there's really not much they can talk about that's of any utility.

Second, at the same time I am very passionate about SR. However, I remain as emotionally detached as possible when discussing it. Occupational hazard, you know. I get frustrated at having to repeat myself or when people don't see my point, and that's been known to be expressed privately in an emotional response. Sometimes I get particularly anxious just writing for a long period of time because if I'm sitting here for an hour responding to whether the sky is blue, I have something invested in it. I know, for example, that my blood pressure tends to go up when posting. Since some of my more verbose posts (like this one: 2 hours) can and have taken up to 2-3 hours to write, I know it's unhealthy. But ultimately, all of this weight comes from me onto me. I don't take things people say personally... Usually. I don't write posts for the purposes of attacking someone's person. This is the Internet. It's useless. Until the day comes when I can verbally slap someone so hard they are knocked off the Internet (Kind of like this.), it's not even fun. It's just unhealthy, a waste of time, and usually doesn't make me feel better.

However, that said I tend to become an idiot when people put words in my mouth, attack myself, my character, or my buddies. When one does all four, then it is times like this that, as other will attest, it is fortunate the God did not grant me the power to cause people to burst into flames. Until Friday, I did not feel that way about SR4. It annoyed that people missed my point, or assumed things. I'm not very big on assumptions, as I'm sure many people have figured out by now. I haven't assumed anything about SR4, either, in spite of some people's apparent perceptions to the contrary. I didn't primarily due to the fact that assumptions are useless. However, while I was annoyed or frustrated, in the last two months, and for most of the last 6-7 ish years I have not taken anything said here personally.

Why would I?

I haven't meant anything personal, and I've made that pretty clear over and over and over again. I know how to draw the line, although apparently some people seem to think I don't. The fact that I have had to repeat ad nauseum the fact that I don't hate SR4 is particularly telling. I've never said I hated SR4. I have no idea how that even became a popular DS meme that there are any people who hate SR4. How can one hate something that isn't even out yet? That defies common sense.

I don't understand how Patrick thinks I am attacking him. I don't understand how Patrick thinks I am personally attacking anyone. It doesn't compute. I never said anything about him. What I have said, and will continue to say, is that I don't trust the devs or anyone related to Fanpro. Sorry. It's an occupational hazard, from my POV, that if you're dealing with SR players you're going to have to deal with the occassional player who doesn't trust The Man--that is, the devs, freelancers, playtesters, et al. What I have also said is that the FAQs have been rather counterproductive, poorly-written, and just bad PR. If I mention someone by name, I like to think I can differentiate between the person and the product. Like I said before, I like Steve Kenson as a person. We used to get along. I don't like his work product, and I've written fairly lengthy explanations as to why. There are plenty of personal reasons why we might not still get along, but it has never, ever come up because it's no one's fucking business, and it's not germaine to anything SR.

The same goes for Jon Szeto. I'm sure he's a great guy. I don't know. I don't care, either, though. What I care about is work product. I've also said it fairly clearly that as far as I'm concerned past performance is an indicator of future performance, which has led me to be even further skeptical about game mechanic development done by either of those two men. Likewise with Rob. Past performance is an indicator of future. I've pointed out flaws in the FAQ. Logic holes, just things in general. I've also commented on various things which haven't been addressed in the FAQs and have nothing to do with the FAQs on the off chance that someone might read them and think, "Hey! CD has a point. Mark that down for later." Because my thoughts on SR4 aren't limited to the FAQs. My interpretations of the FAQs are also based on incomplete information, so I elaborate in a "What if..." scenario.

So what of it? It doesn't make me a bad person. It makes me a concerned gamer with exclusive SR gaming experience going back to SR1, who owns virtually every sourcebook written and half of the novels, who has more than a half dozen active PCs scattered throughout Seattle with their own lives, agendas, encounters, and fates each in the middle of their own shadowruns; GMing three (soon to be four) games; doing demi-GM tasks for two other people; and spending literally hours on DS and SL doing nothing but talking about SR every day. If I seem to have an opinion about SR's rules or setting, it's because I'm sitting here staring at them all the time. And, gee, sometimes I can be abrasive. Well, that's who I am. That's who I've always been, and will always be. But I don't attack people, even if you THINK I do. I don't criticize people, even if you THINK I do.

And I don't take personal attacks from anyone. But when you read this, if you read this, Patrick, you will not see one personal comment about you. I don't sit here, lying in wait to pass judgment on people because it's a waste of my time. I don't care about the person sitting on the other side of some screen somewhere reading what I say. I don't tailor my posts that way, and if it seems that I have a casual disregard for other people's feelings, then it is because I do.

I don't think that anything I said in that last big post was personal. I tried very hard to make it as detached as possible. I know it wasn't personal, because I didn't write it that way. I could write all sorts of mean things, personal things, emotional things. I didn't. I wanted to do it. Oh, I really did. But that wouldn't solve anything. It wouldn't take back the McCracken's Effect of someone in the biz attacking a customer for voicing his opinion, especially when you are at best tangential to anything I have to say about SR4.

And for the record, "Wow." was because I read that post and all I could think of was that all I saw was someone justifying his own existence. And it was also the moment that it really struck me that playtester opinions of SR4 without context mean nothing to me.
FrostyNSO
Don't forget the...

GenCon Rush.
The process of publishing a game prematurely in order to make it available during the ultra-all-important GenCon. Of course, doing this invariably prevents the editors from getting a good look at it, and results in a game that is even more pathetically edited than most RPGs already are.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Anyway... I was going to add, before I got detoured, that I don't understand any of this.

I didn't post that last part to insinuate anything about your knowledge of the game. I'm sure you're well aware of the basic Attributes and what they mean. I primarily posted that for the other DSF posters who have at other times argued with passion (and error) what Intelligence represents. I thought a quote from the book would keep things nice and straight.
Grinder
Thanks for the information, very useful. smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ May 29 2005, 11:33 PM)
Don't forget the...

GenCon Rush.
The process of publishing a game prematurely in order to make it available during the ultra-all-important GenCon. Of course, doing this invariably prevents the editors from getting a good look at it, and results in a game that is even more pathetically edited than most RPGs already are.

That's a given.

QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 29 2005, 08:05 PM)
Anyway... I was going to add, before I got detoured, that I don't understand any of this.

I didn't post that last part to insinuate anything about your knowledge of the game. I'm sure you're well aware of the basic Attributes and what they mean.

The detour was responding to Kage about Dave Hyatt, not you.
Crimson Jack
Check.
Jrayjoker
Its my turn to say "Wow."

And no, not in a bad way. While I appreciate the information I can't help but be a bit overwhelmed at the rancor that some posts can create.

CD2.0, thanks for the very thorough and informative post as to your perspective.

Patrick, thanks for your Curriculum Vitae as it pertains to Shadowrun.

And.....breathe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012