Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playtest Blog Update
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Patrick Goodman
I should probably post this in the SR4 forum, but I don't want to go in there, so I'll just say it here and hope that those who care go and look. I've started to update my SR4 playtest blog, and more stuff will hopefully be forthcoming soon. There's a link in my sig, so don't be shy.
Crimsondude 2.0
Wow.
Jrayjoker
Thanks for the information.
Arethusa
I'm a d4?
Herald of Verjigorm
Drek, I was aiming for d30 but got d100.
Penta
Info is always good.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Wow.

I do hope that's a good "wow" and not a bad one....
Aku
'm a d6 too, i never thought wanting to have a red dragon as a pet would ever make me a d6, i'm kinda say... i wanted to be a d12...
mfb
crimson's "wows" are often complex creatures.
Solstice
This doesn't seem right at all... indifferent.gif

No use trying to fight it, you're an eight-sided die, a d8. A fine example of simple elegance, the d8 is one of the least appreciated types of dice, and is often neglected. You are known to be quiet and shy, outward traits that conceal viscous sarcasm and mean wit. You are very smart, yet wise enough to hide your intelligence the quicker they found out how smart you are, the sooner they'll put you to work, which is something you can do without. People call you dark and pessimistic, or moody and cynical. You find little point in arguing

Walknuki
I'ma d20. Aperrantly I'm a well rounded guy *budum-kshk!*
Shadow
Ok I clicked on the link but I don't see this dice thing you guys are talking about. Someone want to enlighten me?
mfb
a bear cannot walk up a staircase unless he first arranges his newspapers. contemplate this wisdom.
Shadow
Oh how the laughs never end at Dumpshock.
Shadow
Thanks to some help I found it. I am a D20! It took me a few minutes to stop laughing so I could post. Damn if that wasn't funny.

For the rest of my people who are link impaired.

What Dice are you?
Aku
QUOTE (Shadow)
Ok I clicked on the link but I don't see this dice thing you guys are talking about. Someone want to enlighten me?

scrool down on Patrick's blog and you will see his dice thing, and underneath it it has the link to the dice test thing.
scoundrel
d12s represent!
Penta
I'm a D6.

Yay.indifferent.gif
Crimson Jack
Hmm.. someone thought that was funny.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 26 2005, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 26 2005, 04:17 PM)
Wow.

Ham.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Wow.

Ham.

On occasion.
Czar Eggbert
D4... what I'm not evil vegm.gif
DocMortand
Huh...I'm a D20. I suppose that fits...altho why I feel good as a GM in SR boggles me if this is true...
Clyde
d8's forever!
Jrayjoker
ANd now we bring you "forum lite". All the words of a discussion, none of the content.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 26 2005, 08:17 PM)
Wow.

Ham.

On occasion.

All kidding aside, when was the last time I made a post consisting solely of the word "Wow." that could be considered a "good" thing?
DocMortand
Could you guys keep the bickering to a minimum already? sheesh.
Critias
Heh. Yeah. That'll happen.
Patrick Goodman
It might. I mean, I wouldn't hold my breath or anything, but.... wink.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
All kidding aside, when was the last time I made a post consisting solely of the word "Wow." that could be considered a "good" thing?

A point.

Okay, what did I do to merit this, then, that I might improve myself in the future?
Magus
I'm a D12 So cool. That is why I get into character at all the cons!! My life is now complete! I know the question to life the universe and everything!!! How many D12's does it take to conquer the Universe??
42!!!

Zappo!! Wowee!!
I need to get out more
Patrick Goodman
I hadn't intended for the die type discussion to take things over, but it's been remarkably fun and civil.

It might be self-serving of me to do this, but FAQ part 4 comments are up.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (What Polyhedral Are You?)
You are a four-sided die, a d4. Otherwise known as a tetrahedron, a "Caltrop", or (to a lesser degree) "Ol' Pointy". This crap bores you, so I'll get to the point. Others tend to see you as petty, conniving, manipulative, argumentative, defensive, greedy, and needlessly antagonistic. You see yourself as focused, effective, efficient, influencing, shrewd, tactical, and direct. Both points of view are in fact correct. You always know the best way to get things done, a fact that never wins sympathy with others. Whenever you manage to gain control of a situation, your solutions are swift and brutal. Unfortunately everyone else is convinced that granting you such power is, "a bad thing" and often conspire to keep it out of your hands. Such short-sighted fools!

That's just eerie.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Okay, what did I do to merit this, then, that I might improve myself in the future?

Mmm, on the path you are.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Mmm, on the path you are.

Yeah. According to my Star Wars horoscope, on the path straight to the frikkin' Dark Side!
Kagetenshi
To Endor you must go. Teach you Playtesting, the Ewoks will. They it was who found that the vehicle rules were so broken that small fuzzy creatures could destroy armored fighting vehicles with primitive weapons. Great suffering, avoided was.

~J
hermit
It might be self-serving of me to do this, but FAQ part 4 comments are up.

I may be blind, but ... where?
Patrick Goodman
Click ye olde playtest blog link in my sig. It's the most recent entry I've made, so it should be right up at the top. You might need to refresh the page; blogspot can be finicky sometimes.
hermit
Odd. When clicking the link, I got "Where I'm coming from" as uppermost entry. I did that three times. Then I tried refreshing, and there it was!

Really, P.K. Dick was right. The most advanced technology can look like magic to someone who doesn't understand how it works.

Fae magic, in case of computers. sarcastic.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
    More important than my personal opinion of these folks, though, is the fact that they've all got solid credentials. They all love the game, and they all have a vested interest in it that goes back many, many years...back to the beginning of the game for most, if not all, of them. Some out there are going to read this and say, "How do I know they love the game? It's just hearsay coming from you, Goodman; they haven't said it to me personally." Perhaps it is, but almost all of them at one point or another have told me how much they love the game and the world of Shadowrun. You don't have to take my word for it, but if you believe that I love the game (and you should), then you might consider giving them the benefit of the doubt, too, and accept that they also love the game.
    I'm not saying, by the way, that they're not capable of screwing something up; they're only human, after all. But there's a lot of hateful buzz out there that seems to indicate that people believe that they hate the game and are deliberately trying to fuck things up. This isn't the case.

Well, I'm mollified.

Are you serious? I only ask because I don't know where you're coming from with this, "people believe that they hate the game and are deliberately trying to fuck things up" nonsense unless it's a joke. Even then, it's a bad one.

I'm Yoda, btw. The thing about him is, if Qui-Gon had actually stopped to listen to him in Phantom Menace we wouldn't have this Vader problem.
Solstice
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
we wouldn't have this Vader problem.

"problem" is such a subjective term.... cyber.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, the Jedi consider him a big fucking problem.

BTW, I think this is bunk.
Now we won't necessarily have a lot of rocket scientists running the shadows

Like I pointed out pretty handily the last time, natural ability only means so much. You can be very intelligent and uneducated, or moderately intelligent and well-educated (like yours truly). The thing that separates those two is not the Intelligence Attribute, it's their skills. Synner made the comparison to Einstein and Carl Lewis, as if they were just naturally the greatest in their fields.

Since they didn't actually bother to learn any skills, practice their skills, and become very good in their skills.

No, no, no. Anyone with Intelligence 6 is, "a rocket scientist" because Patrick Goodman says so, though. They can have absolutely no skills, no academic knowledge skills (blow all 30 free KS points into Trog Beer and Thrash Metal), and the Illiterate Flaw, but they're, "rocket scientists" because PG and Synner and others say so.

You get a naturally Intelligent ganger with no formal education, but a mind for deductive reasoning and naturally heightened perceptive skills, and people scream bloody murder because he's a, "rocket scientist."

I swear, I must have been playing a different game from the rest of you for the last decade plus, and still do, because I don't see what you're seeing.
FrostyNSO
CD2.0, I'm with you.
Pthgar
QUOTE (hermit)
Really, P.K. Dick was right. The most advanced technology can look like magic to someone who doesn't understand how it works.

I thought that was Arthur C. Clark?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Are you serious? I only ask because I don't know where you're coming from with this, "people believe that they hate the game and are deliberately trying to fuck things up" nonsense unless it's a joke. Even then, it's a bad one.

Well, when people start spouting off about how this and that is changing, and those changes are fucking things up, it sure sounds like people think the writers are trying to fuck things up. It doesn't help when you say that the developers and the playtesters are deluding themselves about the game remaining Shadowrun.

Is everyone criticizing things saying this? Of course not. But there are enough people out there doing that it's a little tough to ignore, no matter how thick one's skin is.

So yes, I'm quite serious. Or was the remark about being delusional just a joke, too?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 28 2005, 08:03 PM)
BTW, I think this is bunk.
Now we won't necessarily have a lot of rocket scientists running the shadows

Like I pointed out pretty handily the last time, natural ability only means so much. You can be very intelligent and uneducated, or moderately intelligent and well-educated (like yours truly). The thing that separates those two is not the Intelligence Attribute, it's their skills. Synner made the comparison to Einstein and Carl Lewis, as if they were just naturally the greatest in their fields. Since they didn't actually bother to learn any skills, practice their skills, and become very good in their skills.

Man, I'm so glad that you're entitled to an opinion and I'm not. I'm also, apparently, not allowed to exaggerate for effect either. Guess I'm breaking that rule, too.

I'm also moderately intelligent and fairly well-educated, CD. I know the difference between raw ability and applied training.

I've played this game for 16 years, out in the real world and not on Shadowland (which, in spite of their apparent opinion of themselves, is not the only bastion of SR fans and role-players in the world), and I've seen a buttload of people who plunk a 6 down in INT and a 6 in QUI just to get that 6 Reaction. No kind of back-story justification, they just want that Reaction as high as they can crank it so they have more of a chance to go first when Initiative gets rolled.
No, no, no. Anyone with Intelligence 6 is, "a rocket scientist" because Patrick Goodman says so, though. They can have absolutely no skills, no academic knowledge skills (blow all 30 free KS points into Trog Beer and Thrash Metal), and the Illiterate Flaw, but they're, "rocket scientists" because PG and Synner and others say so.

Talk about twisting things around and blowing things out of proportion.

Oh, wait, that's right. I'm not allowed to exaggerate or generalize. Silly me. I do need to remember that one of these days.
You get a naturally Intelligent ganger with no formal education, but a mind for deductive reasoning and naturally heightened perceptive skills, and people scream bloody murder because he's a, "rocket scientist."

I swear, I must have been playing a different game from the rest of you for the last decade plus, and still do, because I don't see what you're seeing.

You really think highly of yourself and that electronic ivory tower you play in. You should try playing out in the world sometime.
mfb
i'm trying very hard not to take offense to that, Goodman. watch where you're swinging that brush, especially when you don't need a brush in the first place.
Trax
Never mind...

Spooky, the d6 would fit my description.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Pthgar)
QUOTE (hermit @ May 28 2005, 05:45 PM)

I thought that was Arthur C. Clark?

Yes it was.
fistandantilus4.0
Here's the part of the blog that interests me most

There's still a Rule of Six and a Rule of One.

Wonder how that's going to apply with the set T#. More dice?

(Thanks Arethusa)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012