Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Domini Umbra
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Foxx
"Me too." Dawn said, agreeing about the hot tub. The look on Gregori's face spoke volumes about whatever happened out there, but that was best saved another time in a safer location. She hit the speed-dial option on her cellphone and called up Razz.

"Hey Razz, obviously we're going through a big change of plans. Needless to say we're going to be talking to Mr. Tamburo about this little screw up of his."

Dawn felt it approiate to put the blame on Tamburo since he was very assuring they would have a safehouse to go to after picking up the package. Maybe he should have mentioned something about the gangs using it for their own party hut when Tamburo wasn't doing anything important with it. This was going to put Tamburo in a bad spot, a good spot for the team.

"I'm going to give him a ring now and see what he's going to do about this mess."

[ Spoiler ]
Sicarius
While Dawn talked to Razz, Gregori puzzled out where the team might go. Flipping through his mental roldex, Gregori thought about places connected to the Organistaya, that the team might be able to lay low in... for a fee.

[ Spoiler ]

Foxx
Dawn dialed up their Johnson. It was time to update him on what was going down and what they were doing. Sure they were suppossed to use this phone just so they can drop off the package but circumstances were dicatating a a whole new plan now.

"Hello, sir, " Dawn saided, no need to add sarcasim yet, "Just calling in to inform you that where currently relocating to another location with your package. The gangers showed up and started to bring heat down on us, nessciating a quick response and a quicker withdraw from the area.

"I don't need to spell it out that your safehouse is fragged to hell and back..."
viggo
Ragnarok dialed up his eyes and ears, keeping a look out for anything while the rest of the team found a new place to go.
Frater Inominatus
The string of filth that spewed from the earpiece brough a slight blush even to Dawns reinforced sensibilities. After a moment the epithets subsided and Tamburo returned to a modicum of civility. "Well, I will deal with them in due course. It seems I chose wisley to employ professionals who know the better part of valor." There was a momentary pause as he considered what to say next, or was he talking to someone else? In any event, when he returned he was all glass and steel. "I will leave the choice of location to you, Ms. Dawn. I commend you for your actions and am willing, of course to cover the expenses for the new domicile. Though I will caution you not to be too extravagant, my generosity has limits. I have deposited an additional two-thousand nuyen in your account as a thank you for your efforts. You have my number. Contact me when you are settled in. Now, if there is nothing else I will bid you good evening as I have other matters to attend to."
Sicarius
Gregori couldn't hear what was being said, but watching Dawn's face, it seemed good news. But then, could you ever really tell? Perhaps the only thing worse than the Mafioso yelling at you, was when he was smiling and kissing you. When it came time to pick up the payment, Gregori was going to advise serious caution.
Musashi Forever
"Well I've shifted through my skull and I can come up with a single place around here that would take us," Razz says.

"Maybe we should just get a hotel room some place and secure it ourselves."
Foxx
Dawn shook her head as Tamburo cut connection and looked to her passenger. "Our employer is going to flip the bill for us to look for a new place. Nothing big, of course. He's giving us another two thousand for the trouble... "

Dawn could only shake her head again and send the message on to the rest.
Musashi Forever
"I say we find a moderately priced suite and some of that real food we were promised!" Razz says enthusiastically after scanning Dawn's message and calling her back.
Frater Inominatus
Gregori recalls an old friend just South of Tacoma who operates housing for those on the go. He frequents a bar affectionately known as "The Pit."
Sicarius
A smile retook Gregori's face, and he turned to Dawn.

"How is Tacoma? I have heard of fellow there who has rooms. Is not exactly five star, but he should keep his mouth shut. What do you think?"

Foxx
Dawn thought for a second. "That is fine with me. As long as we can find a place to lay low and figure out what to do next. IF it suits our needs, we can just stay there till our gracious employerer gives us a call..."

These little hiccups, what would one do without them? She sent out the word and drove as directed by Gregori to the location of the 'The Pit'.
Frater Inominatus
'The Pit' was an appropriate name if ever there was one. THe pocked parking lot was littered with various decaying vehicles and bits of trash weaved their way through and around to the other side. Loud music can be heard coming from the building as well as several gangers. They eye you, looking for inapropriate colors. Seeing none they move to their vehicle and leave two long black rubber streaks in their wake.

Loomis sits in a corner with two of your contemporaries. They are dressed for 'work' and seem to be arguing as you approach. Their conversation ends as you reach the table. They stand, give you a nod out of coutesy, and move on. "Hoy! Gregori, I thought you were dead!?! Please, join me. It's good to see you! What brings you to my little corner of heaven?"
Tziluthi
22:49:42, Thursday June 12th, 2064/In transit

Getting the word from Dawn about where the group was headed next, Os couldn't help but get a bad feeling in his gut. Spending time in a Organistaya rathole would be bad enough, but the opposition, the bounty hunters from Russia, would probably have feelers out in the local community. Maybe it would be worth getting Gregori to ask around.

23:05:56, Thursday June 12th, 2064/Organistaya safehouse

As they arrive at the safehouse, Os parks in the lot, but remains in his car waiting for a signal from the shaman.
nick012000
Lethe's RV pulls into the parking lot, and he sits and watches Gregori talk with the Russian mobsters.
Foxx
Dawn was with Gregori when he went to go see his friend. Hopefully that wasn't a relative term meaning they just knew each other and the 'friend' was oblagated to ratting them out to someone who paid more.

That would have to be seen though. Dawn took a look around the bar, seeing who else was interested in the meeting.

[ Spoiler ]
Sicarius
Gregori gave a friendly smile, and took up a postion nearby Loomis. He stood partially in front of the elf girl, largely shielding her from the gaze of the flop house businessman, in case he should study his companion to hard, and start asking questions.

"Hoi, Loomis, It has been too long. And no, I am not dead, although some times it feels that way ehh!? How are you? bizzness has been good?"

Gregori nodded vigorously as Loomis brought up the subject at hand.

"Well, I and some friends of mine, are needing a place to stay, at a reasonable price. And I thought to myself. Loomis can always help a friend."

It went unspoken that they needed such a place from Loomis, because more "respectable" establishments were out of the question. No doubt that would increase the cost.

[ Spoiler ]
Frater Inominatus
23:15:24, Thursday June 12th, 2064/'The Pit'

"Well my friend..." That word seemed to come a bit unfamilliarly to Loomis' lips. Either he didn't say it very often or it left a taste in his mouth that he didn't like. "You came to the right place. It just so happens that my finest property has just come up 'for rent.' It's being cleaned as we speak. A three bedroom apartment; second floor where it ain't too high to jump; Fire escape is just at the end of the hall; and I have the front desk in my pocket. Good, solid, reliable people all. Only cost you three hundred a night. How long you looking to stay?"
Sicarius
Gregori nodded his head slowly up and down as Loomis explained the offer.

"I think that this should do, but let me check with my partners just one moment. We were told 3 or 4 days maximum."

Gregori turned to Dawn.

"Tell others 300 per day, 3- room apartment. Some neighbors, but should be quiet... than tell me the consensus okay."

Gregori offered the elf and smile, and turned back towards Loomis.

"Formality, I think." He said.
Musashi Forever
"Sounds good to me," Razz says. "Now how about that real food? My stomach's growlin'."
Foxx
Dawn nodded her head and went back to let the others know what the deal was. Hopefully it would turn out better then from what they got from their own employer. Back out in the parkinglot, Dawn made her way to the van to turn the ears of the rest of the on to the idea of accepting this new place.

"Looks like Gregori has arranged for us a place to hold up in. Its going to be three hundread a night for probably three to four nights. We got neighbors, but they should give us any problems and the front desk is probably going to be more helpful to our needs provided we behave, if you now what I mean."

Dawn listened to Razz question, "Honesly, Razz, I couldn't tell you. They did say 'finest' property, but that could mean the rats are well behaved..."
Musashi Forever
"Hey, that's cool. Just as long as they ain't soya-rats." Razz says with a smile.
Frater Inominatus
10:04:13, Thursday June 13th, 2064/Loomis' Safehouse

It is a short trip to Loomis' property. It is a nice, middle-income, apartment in a complex of about fifty. On the second floor, as Loomis said, and there is a commercial trash bin just outside the window so you won't even have to jump if it comes to that. Inside, the apartment is clean and well organized. It seems Loomis was paying attention as there are enough beds for everyone. There do not seem to be any bugs in the apartment. You actually find a trembler on the window and a white noise generator built into the coffee table. While the food isn't what you were promised, it IS high grade soy. Most of the morning is spent settling in; baths, eating, much needed sleep, etc...

At around ten in the morning you are shocked when you turn to look at the window/Trideo/refridgerator (whichever the case may be) and when you look back there is a small, well-dressed, japanese man standing in the middle of the room. He stands, hands clasped together in front, feet apart, toes out. His hair is pulled back into a tight que. He raises his hands in a gesture of peace when the large caliber weapons pop out. He speaks rapidly "Please, I did not mean to startle you. I wished to speak to you privately. If you'll give me two minutes and after that you are not interested in my proposal, you'll never see me again. What do you say?"
Foxx
Dawn slept pretty good that night after they got to the new location and secured their package. She wondered what the story behind this guy, but he did not look in any shape to tell it. Besides it wasn't her business and she had to remind herself of that. It was bad policy to get more involved with a deal then what was really needed. How this run was going though Dawn fainly figured she may have to break that rule in order to perserve her own exsistance.

After a bath and a nap, Dawn met the guest in a button up shirt and slacks. Her pistol rig tied on her shapely frame to keep her favored weapons close at hand; fearing another episode like the one that happen last night. Hopefully like the rest, she drew down on the mysterious interloper only slightly hesitating to lower her pistol after he spoke.

For better business relations with the japense man, she let the pistol drop ther side. Hopefully it would inspire him not to do anything foolish.

"I can't speak for my compatriots. We've already to forceibly deal with home wreckers... if you got something important to say, I suggest say it carefully."
Foxx
Dawn slept pretty good that night after they got to the new location and secured their package. She wondered what the story behind this guy, but he did not look in any shape to tell it. Besides it wasn't her business and she had to remind herself of that. It was bad policy to get more involved with a deal then what was really needed. How this run was going though Dawn fainly figured she may have to break that rule in order to perserve her own exsistance.

After a bath and a nap, Dawn met the guest in a button up shirt and slacks. Her pistol rig tied on her shapely frame to keep her favored weapons close at hand; fearing another episode like the one that happen last night. Hopefully like the rest, she drew down on the mysterious interloper only slightly hesitating to lower her pistol after he spoke.

For better business relations with the japense man, she let the pistol drop ther side. Hopefully it would inspire him not to do anything foolish.

"I can't speak for my compatriots. We've already to forceibly deal with home wreckers... if you got something important to say, I suggest say it carefully."
Tziluthi
I hope this guy isn't yakuza. If Tamburo dropped us in the middle of a mob war, something awful is going to happen to him, Os thinks to himself.

"Let's hear it, hombre."
nick012000
When he sees the man in the center of the room, Lethe is rather startled, and his Predator is quickly drawn, the smartlink making a bright green reticle appear on on the man, only visible to Lethe.
Sicarius
Gregori was tired, from having taking the late shift. partially because he was a night person by nature, and partially to see if he'd have an opportunity to get to interrogate the package. That opportunity hadn't arose. The sounds coming from the entry way awoke him.

Shirtless, he threw on his pants, grabbed the predator from under the pillow, and opened the door. Gregori saw Dawn already lowering her pistol, and Lethe seemed relaxed, so Gregori kept his weapon low.

His pistol in one hand, Gregori's left hand stretched out, looking slightly like a paw, and he muttered quietly to himself, and waited to hear the man speak.

[ Spoiler ]
Musashi Forever
Razz's eyes snapped open when the new guy spoke. He had been taking a nice nap on the couch after catching a sports-report on the trid. His teams had lost, so he'd shown them who was boss by sleeping through the rest of the show.

Seeing that everyone had pretty-much beaten him to the draw, he didn't lunge for his now assembled AK that sat on the floor next to the couch. He decided to play it cool and hear the dude out, but he didn't have a good feeling. He'd never liked yaks that much.
Frater Inominatus
10:06:44, Thursday June 13th, 2064/Loomis' Safehouse

The small man relaxes visibly as the threat of imminent death abates. “Thank you.” He says. “My name is Virgil. I represent the true owner of the item in your possession. The man who hired you is a Capo in the Seattle Mafia and he has stolen it and, until now, has been out of my reach. If you are agreeable, I am interested in obtaining your assistance in acquiring the item, at no small recompense to you of course. The package in your possession is of great value, regardless of the paltry sum you are being paid to protect it, and there are a great many people, including myself, who are interested in acquiring it. I realize that this puts you in a difficult position and am willing to compensate you for that trouble. I will understand if you are unwilling to compromise your professional reputation. If we cannot come to a mutually beneficial arrangements we can part company with no harm done. What say you?” He stands, rather uncomfortably, before you; waiting.
Sicarius
Gregori let a low growl vibrate in his throat for a moment, as he thought the situation over to himself.

While the whole situation had been strange, and perhaps poorly planned there hadn't been any sign of real deception or double dealing on the part of their employer...yet. As for the property being stolen from this Virgil, well that was neither here nor there. If you can't hold on to your property, that's no one's business but yours.

Besides, they'd taken Tamburo's money, and agreed to do a job.

That was where Gregori came out... But he kept his mouth shut, and waited for his comrades to speak.

Foxx
Being screwed over in the shadows was a way of life. This time circumstances were the one doing it to the group. Right now the counter offer wasn't going to buy Dawns sense of busniess ethics in the shadows. ONce it got out that you could be bought off people stop trusting you. Dawn had alot of people in her netweork of contracts who would drop her like so much dead weight if she started that bad habit. Besides, nothing this Virgil did even tempted her.

"Tell me, Virgil, what is this item that everyone is hot about? Perhaps if you explained the situation a bit better we 'might' be more amiplicable."

That wasn't to say Dawn was about to change sides. Her curiosity was piqued by this man and she wanted to know what they had gotten into.

[ Spoiler ]

Frater Inominatus
Virgil watched Gregori as the growl escaped his throat, a look of concern creasing his high forehead. Was that sweat beading over his left eyebrow? Dawn's question broke his concentration and he looked gratefully to the woman for the distraction. "Well, uh, actually, I've never actually SEEN it. I have been tracking it since shortly after its theft. It has been under heavy guard until Mr. Tamburo diverted it during transportation to Seattle. My sources lead me hear and to you. I can tell you that the owner is powerful, quite wealthy and is willing to part with a significant portion of that wealth for the return of the item."
Sicarius
Gregori spoke up, quietly then...

"It is a cold winter when a wolf will eat a wolf..." He paused only briefly, quite irrespective of whether the meaning of that particularly proverb had rung true to anyone.

"It seems to me, since you know who has stolen the property, and since the owner who you work for is powerful, and wealthy, your employer should turn his wrath or his wealth against our employer. If Mr. Tamburo does not exist, or loses interest in the item, we are no longer under obligation to provide it to him. Until then, you can imagine it would be as improper for us to turn the item over to you, as it would be for you to surrender it to someone after acquiring it for your employer." Gregori finished
Tziluthi
Os smiles. Offing Tamburo doesn't sound all that objectionable at this point, but he stops short of offering 'Virgil' here his work number. However, like Gregori said, as long as the contract between he and Tamburo exists, then it was no dice for a hand-over. Money can buy a lot of things in the shadows, but reputation is rarely one of them. Still, it couldn't hurt to ask...

"How much is 'significant'?"

Os waits for the dirty looks from the other runners.
Sicarius
Gregori obliges him with a raised eyebrow, but says nothing.
Foxx
Dawn merely crossed her arms over her t-shirt covered chest, waiting for Virgils reply. It was going to happen that somoene was going to ask the question. Put a large enough carrot out and someone is going to decide to nibble it. She wasn't sold, Virgil was being as obtuse about this object as Tambara was about the job. That wasn' working for her.
Frater Inominatus
10:10:23, Thursday June 13th, 2064/Loomis' Safehouse

Virgil seems to relaxed as though he sensed, rightly or wrongly, a break in the tension. He move to stand in front of the television. He took on a long suffering look and said, looking at Gregori "I understand what you're saying. You won't turn on Tamburo because your reputation will sour. Let me assure you that he will not long survive the conclusion of a successful arrangement between us. And, as this little operation of his must be kept 'off the books' due to its..." Virgil seems to struggle with finding the word. "Treacherous nature. You see he has stolen this item from a Mafioso of considerable power and must make his deals outside normal 'family' channels. Do you really want to remain loyal to a man who has stolen from and killed members of his own family? He will most certainly dispose of you when the package is secure. Wolves don't eat their own? Tamburo isn't a wolf. He's a snake..." Os' comment stopped Virgil in mid sentence. A smile played ever so slightly across his lips. "A good question." He turned to Os and pointed "A no nonsense man. I like that. Alright, let's cut to the chair. I have access to a one million nuyen expense account. I have been authorized to use any amount up to that to secure the item's return. Once it has been returned I will have addtional funds to disperse. I am prepared to offer you one half million here and now for the item and an additional million once it is secured. I am certain that with that kind of money you will be able to make whatever problems you have simply go away. If that is not sufficient I will hear your counter." Virgil sounds like a man who read a book on negotiating somewhere and is following some 'formula.'
Sicarius
10:10:23, Thursday June 13th, 2064/Loomis' Safehouse

Gregori's upper lip curled up over his teeth, in what could in no way be construed as a smile, frustration clear on his face. The frustrating part was that Virgil's reading of the situation jived with the russian's. Tamburo had gone out of his way to avoid using "family." He'd showed nervousness and disorder at the meet, understandable if he was out from under his family's wing. It may even explain the gangers. Perhaps their arrival on the scene of the safe house was anything but an accident?

Plus a one-point-five million nuyen, even split a few ways, was alot of nuyen, and he'd be lying if he said it didn't tempt him.

Can you put a price on your word cub? Comrade Wolf whispered.

Nyet Gregori replied. But it looked some of his teammates, like Os might be able to.

Gregori figured he'd watch and wait to see what happened next. Dawn was the premier negotiator for the team, perhaps she could get the point across.
nick012000
Lethe lowers his pistol and frowns.

Hmm... one and a half million nuyen? That's quite a bit, but I think that there is still more information to be learned before I make my decision. If he does go to eliminate Tamburo, we should have enough time to interrogate the goods.

"I am a smuggler. As such, this operation is already outside my normal line of work. However, if you were to eliminate Tamburo, I would be willing to negotiate. Now if I had been hired to deliver the goods somewhere, rather than simply hold onto them for a period of time, it would be a different story."
Tziluthi
Os holds up his hands in a mock defensive pose.

"Woah, settle down people, I was just kidding! Virgil, the easy way out of this is if you take Tamburo out of the equation. Then the ownership of the package is open for negotiation. Until that time..."
Sicarius
Gregori nodded.

"It seems my comrades and I are in agreement Virgil. As things currently stand we can not help you. If the situation is changed, we would be open to renegotiation. Until that time..."

Gregori tapped the barrel of the predator to his brow...

"I suggest if you do come back, you do so... very openly, with no suprises."

Foxx
Dawn mulled the situation over in her mind. Virgil was tossing out a very hefty amount of money. That meant he had support from very big people and added some credence to his story. Whilst Tambara was giving them squat. Made sense the way he acted during negotiations about the team getting more money for the mission. The fact the safehouse was not secured like it should have been. Also when Tambara would not give them another sight for them to go too after the safehouse location literally blew up in their faces.

While she was letting her brain translate the infomation being bounced around in the conversation she was becoming acutely away her eyes were wandering over Gregori's chest. Taking in other details that were becoming much more desirable, even more then the conversation she was trying to pay attention too. Certain times a woman starts to feel the need to be held, and touched, and...

Dawn snorted loudly and shook her head, breaking out of euphoria back into the real world. Doing so also allowed her to speak again.

"I do believe you about the money you want to pay us in this arrangement, but one question bothers me and needs to be asked. If Tambara can't be trusted which is very likely, how do we know you can be trusted. We're not putting our good names on the line here, but also are lives. A repuation I can repair but only as long as I still have my head."

[ Spoiler ]
Sicarius
[ Spoiler ]

Gregori listened to the elf girl speak, and offered her a smile. It was enjoyable to watch her mouth move, and she made good points, but it was time for the converstation to end, because some serious security issues needed to be addressed as soon as Virgil hit the road.

"I think we've made ourselves understood. Good day Virgil."

nick012000
Once the others seem to have taken control of the situation, Lethe will wander over to the window, and start leaning on it as he stares out of it, watching the people outside go along their business. Before long, he goes into a trance watching them, and the shimmering form of Gargoyle swoops down into his vision.

"Hello, Bob Cavalier. You watch and learn, but you only see the surface of things, despite the technology you use so well," it says. "But look carefully, see the true face of the world."

Nothing happens.

It reaches in, grabbing his head and pressing against the glass.

"Look, and see."

And so he does, as he looks, and sees the oddly familiar swirling energies of astral space. The auras of Awakened and mundanes, the magical ripples of spirits and spells.

"You see, now act. Take my hand, and come with me," it says, holding out its hand beyond the glass.

Lethe reaches out, but he is not strong enough to break the glass.

"I can't. I'm not strong enough."

"Fool. Reach beyond the realm of flesh, and take my hand."

So reaching back, he pushes with all his might against the window, making a loud clang before his hand, its aura glowing with magical power, reaches beyond the veil of flesh to take his totem's astral hand.

"Good. Now come," it says, as it flies away, pulling Lethe's astral form along with it, as his meat body slowly slides down the window.

Soon, they are hovering over the city center, watching the city go about its business. Then flying through the Renraku Arcology, watching ordinary wageslaves go about their lives, pecking and scratching to get to the top of the pile. Then into the Barrens, observing the predators go after the prey.

"Everywhere, people hunt. Most do so without thinking. Without planning. We are not like them. We watch, plan, then strike."

It then carries him to St. Jame's Cathedral, the interior of which is shrouded in blackness.

"Go. The Dweller on the Threshold awaits."

And so, letting go of Gargoyle's claw, he flies into the interior of the Church. Inside, the Metaplane of Man awaits...
Foxx
[ Spoiler ]

Everything was said and done. Now they had another situation in regards to one of their team-members passing out. Dawn noted this was not a good sign, another one of nagging events that this job was going to be more interesting then warrented.

"Someone give me a hand with him." Dawn said, nodding her head towards the couch.
Musashi Forever
"I got him," Razz says as he gets up off of the couch and lift the unconscious man without Dawn's help.

"You think that Virgil guy had anything to do with this?"
Sicarius
Gregori had watched Lethe slump over. Dropping his vision into the astral, he sees the tendril link of his spirit to his body.. but where that tendril goes Gregori has no idea.

With a shake of his head, Gregori's vision returns.

"His spirit has gone." He says, looking at Dawn, mostly because he simply liked doing so, since he was speaking mostly Razz' benefit as a fellow awakened. "I don't know where he's gone, but he's not here with us now. Short of causing him some physical injury I don't know how to bring him back either. Its a good thing we don't relay on him for heavy firepower." the russian says with a snort before going into a brief foray into his native tongue.

Os Only

[ Spoiler ]

When he returns to english he says,

"We need to decide if we want to move, or stay put. My recommendation is to dig in. They found us here, they will likely be able to continue to track us. And we are weak as we travel, split into three vehicles. I say Os set to work on our immediate physical security. Things looked good when we came but I'm...unsure now. I planned to ward the place I don't think I can do that for the whole apartment, especially since then Lethe might not be able to return. So I will ward the bedroom with the package in it. That way we can fall back to that point if we get overwhelmed with magic. Dawn... perhaps you could use your charms on our burden, found out what he knows or doesn't know about this situation?"

Gregori scratches underneath his chin for a moment with the back of his hand.

"Does that not work for everyone? I would accept suggestion."

Tziluthi
Os chuckles at Gregori's comment.

After the shaman finishes, Os says, "Physical injury may not be too bad an idea, if push comes to shove. What exactly do you have in mind for the security?"
Sicarius
"I figure you have more expertise than myself. But some way of securing our front door might be good. And ways to detect any intruders might not be a bad idea either." Gregori shrugged.. He didn't really know what they had on hand. He traveled light.. but that was just the nature of his speciality. What did you need, if you had Wolf with you?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012