Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taking another look at LoneStar
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
Even if you aren't touching a single LS employee, not even dealing Stun damage but slipping by them totally unnoticed, you're still doing harm to Lone Star. You're making the 'Star lose face and possibly contracts, and you're making L-S employees lose jobs. As a Shadowrunner, you are a pain in the ass for L-S any way you slice it (save being a company man for them).

~J
shadow_scholar
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 22 2005, 01:39 PM)
Do you make cops get paid meaningfully more than janitors? 'Cause they don't in canon.

~J

I suppose I do. I have a rough idea of what cops get paid today, and it isn't a janitorial salary, so I base my game on that. Cops in Austin need to have at least 2 years of college under their belt before they can even apply, so they're automatically gonna get paid more than janitors. Granted, the SR world isn't the same as this one, but the underlying need to feel safe for most people isn't going to go away. If a cop force doesn't deliver on that "safe" feeling, they're gonna get someone who can, and spend a little more cash to do it. My world has a lot more underworld dealing going on rather than over the top shootouts in the streets, much like the world today (at least where I live). Besides, I'm basing my cop salaries on the place where Lonestar has its corporate headquarters, okay, it might not be the same thing, but close enough for this GM.

As for the security guards, even small corporations have live guards, but from what I understand they don't tend to be cops. There are tons of security guard companies who get paid crap wages to sit around and watch monitors and make rounds, and they're not cops, just guys who want easy jobs. Off duty cops do take security jobs, but those are jobs in more public venues where they wear their official uniforms are they are visible enough to be used as a deterrent, like guarding movie theaters or sporting events.
Austere Emancipator
There's a world of difference between killing lots of them and causing them to lose big contracts (which would be necessary to trigger such a raid), and hospitalizing a few of them and causing them to lose a bit of respect. In any case, no matter how much I cared about "turf", whose ever it is, I would not personally commit physical force into protecting it against an organization which can muster a few thousand times more of force. Shadowrunners would likely find an intel war much less risky, if not necessarily much more productive.

Maybe this comes down to the culture we've grown up in IRL. Where I come from, considering gangs and even organized crime to be a real physical threat to LE is laughable at best. No matter how dystopian I try to see the future as, I just cannot see LEOs becoming worthless, easily scared scum while gangs become all-powerful, highly-trained and motivated para-military forces.
Critias
All I can say is it looks like about five different conversations are going on between three or maybe four different people. You just all think you're actually quoting and disagreeing with and talking to one another -- because it's obvious that different people are talking about wholly different things. We've got one guy espousing artillery strikes, another preaching about panzers strafing Lone Star SWAT teams or something, another about precise overwhelming raids on a single known target, another about Lone Star "taking over" all of the Barrens in one big bite, blah blah blah.

I'm fairly certain no two people are having the same discussion or dealing with the same half-assed topic any more.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Critias)
another about precise overwhelming raids on a single known target

I can only hope that guy's me. smile.gif
Cynic project
One thing I am noticing about this thread is how many people think shadowrun takes place in place in the US of fucking A. The fact is this, the USA and UCAS aren't the same thing. Lone star and your local PD aren't the same thing.

Look at say the mob war in itally. We are talking about places where judges have private security guards on the scales that would boggle your mind and they are still killed.

Think of Seattle like Columbia in the 80's. Or how Sou Paulo or Rio are. The parts of town that are meant to look nice, look nice but the rest can go to hell in a hand basket. It is a dystopic future. If the lone star had the resources to easily win that kind of war, they would have done it a long time ago.
nezumi
The thing that surprises me is anyone assumes the star would take on any sort of operation they have months to prepare for, and not use overwhelming force.

If they are going to make a raid into a Z zone, they're not going in with five city masters and a wasp. They're going in with tanks, helicopters, satellites, lasers a few kliks away, gas, and magic up the ying yang. They'll send in elementals beforehand and drones the size of a booger to map out the entire place and every enemy in there, and when they go in, you won't have time to pull your pants up, much less grab, load and prep your gun.

If they're going to make a major, multi-million nuyen strike with media coverage, they're going to do it right. It's not something they can afford to do often, and it's certainly not something you want to be around if it happens. There are too many careers on the line for them to use anything less than absolutely overwhelming firepower.
shadow_scholar
QUOTE (Cynic project)
One thing I am noticing about this thread is how many people think shadowrun takes place in place in the US of fucking A. The fact is this, the USA and UCAS aren't the same thing. Lone star and your local PD aren't the same thing.

Look at say the mob war in itally. We are talking about places where judges have private security guards on the scales that would boggle your mind and they are still killed.

Think of Seattle like Columbia in the 80's. Or how Sou Paulo or Rio are. The parts of town that are meant to look nice, look nice but the rest can go to hell in a hand basket. It is a dystopic future. If the lone star had the resources to easily win that kind of war, they would have done it a long time ago.

I don't believe that. People drive the country, not matter what country it is. People in the U.S.A. aren't suddenly going to change the way they feel overnight when it becomes the U.C.A.S. Americans have a standard of living, and when the government doesn't provide that standard they're either gonna live under the new standard (some will), go somewhere else where the standard is good enough for them, or create that standard. Why do you think so many people come to the U.S.A. now and have in the past? If they can do it, people are going to go where they feel safe, they always have and they always will. Security and survivability is a huge instinct that can't be tossed out so easily. I tend to think of Shadowrun less as being a dystopic future (a very 80s concept) and more like a realistic future one (well, as realistic as you can get with dragons and elves running around).

Now I'm not saying crime won't be existent, it just won't be super violent. People will allow a lot, but gunfights with gangers gunning down moronic police officers outside their front door isn't one of them. They'd be in an uprage and pay those extra taxes to feel safe.
Req
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
shadow_scholar: Beslan was a massive hostage situation which went completely haywire and the military went in without much of a plan -- I don't want to know where you heard about the Russians laying "waste to that place and the hostages". I wouldn't blame you for using some features of Waco (the media leakage and coverage bits in particular) if you play out an LS "intervention" into the barrens in your game, however.

Maybe confusing the Beslan school thing with the Moscow theater gassing a couple years back?
Cynic project
QUOTE (shadow_scholar)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jun 22 2005, 02:14 PM)

Think of Seattle like Columbia in the 80's. Or how Sou Paulo or Rio are. The parts of town that are meant to look nice, look nice but the rest can go to hell in a hand basket. It is a dystopic future.  If the lone star had the resources to easily win that kind of war, they would have done it a long time ago.

I don't believe that. People drive the country, not matter what country it is. People in the U.S.A. aren't suddenly going to change the way they feel overnight when it becomes the U.C.A.S. Americans have a standard of living, and when the government doesn't provide that standard they're either gonna live under the new standard (some will), go somewhere else where the standard is good enough for them, or create that standard. Why do you think so many people come to the U.S.A. now and have in the past? If they can do it, people are going to go where they feel safe, they always have and they always will. Security and survivability is a huge instinct that can't be tossed out so easily. I tend to think of Shadowrun less as being a dystopic future (a very 80s concept) and more like a realistic future one (well, as realistic as you can get with dragons and elves running around).

Now I'm not saying crime won't be existent, it just won't be super violent. People will allow a lot, but gunfights with gangers gunning down moronic police officers outside their front door isn't one of them. They'd be in an uprage and pay those extra taxes to feel safe.

Maybe you don't get it, we are talking about the US with unemployment in the 30% range here. We are talking about the US that gives cooperations the right to have sogernity with the boarders of their land. We are talking about the US that has lost more than two thirds it land, and at least 80 of it's money. We are talking about a US so poor that it had tens of thousands of veterans march on DC because the UCAs couldn't pay what they owed them. We are talking about a nation that is at best a shadow of it's former glory.

You want to see what life is going to be like in the UCAS go to Moscow. In the US we have the highest crime rate in the world, and we don't really even care. We have 5% of the world people and 25% of the world presioners. This is when we have the world's best economy and unemployment around 7-9%. You want to see crazy ass shit? Come to the US, and you will see it, we have things this way because we can and litarily piss money away. We spend more money person on cops, prisons and all that shit than any other country in the world. Still we have more crime? So do you really think with less ethical cops and less money we would even look remotely have the same sort of crime?
nezumi
QUOTE (Cynic project)
we can and litarily piss money away.

Yeouch, that must hurt. Paper or coins? Because I imagine paper would be only marginally better.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)
If they are going to make a raid into a Z zone, they're not going in with five city masters and a wasp. They're going in with tanks, helicopters, satellites, lasers a few kliks away, gas, and magic up the ying yang. They'll send in elementals beforehand and drones the size of a booger to map out the entire place and every enemy in there, and when they go in, you won't have time to pull your pants up, much less grab, load and prep your gun.

If they're going to make a major, multi-million nuyen strike with media coverage, they're going to do it right. It's not something they can afford to do often, and it's certainly not something you want to be around if it happens. There are too many careers on the line for them to use anything less than absolutely overwhelming firepower.

It's not something they can afford to do period. If they could do it, they'd have done it already. I find it hard to imagine anything that doesn't involve large parts of downtown blowing up will put any more egg on Lone Star's collective face than the fact that two large parts of the city are completely abandoned to the criminals and dregs of society. Not only that, but major highways go abandoned to go-gangers at night. These people do not have the resources or control to mount that kind of strike.
People in the U.S.A. aren't suddenly going to change the way they feel overnight when it becomes the U.C.A.S. Americans have a standard of living, and when the government doesn't provide that standard they're either gonna live under the new standard (some will), go somewhere else where the standard is good enough for them, or create that standard.

May I remind you that this is the world that was having food riots in major cities in the 90s?

~J
shadow_scholar
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Maybe you don't get it, we are talking about the US with unemployment in the 30% range here. We are talking about the US that gives cooperations the right to have sogernity with the boarders of their land. We are talking about the US that has lost more than two thirds it land, and at least 80 of it's money. We are talking about a US so poor that it had tens of thousands of veterans march on DC because the UCAs couldn't pay what they owed them. We are talking about a nation that is at best a shadow of it's former glory.

I'm not sure where you're getting these figures, but for the most part what you're stating, aside from the sovereignty rights given to corporations and the loss of 2/3s of the land, sounds a lot to me like what happened during the Depression. Yeah, times were hard then, but it didn't degenerate into a completely collapsed society or anarchy. It just took some time to recover. And it has. The government put itself in debt to help the economy recover, and it worked, bigtime. There is the idea that the U.S. economy was always meant to be in debt so that it always had something to work for. The cattle of society (read: the middle class) don't change, they always want the same thing; a place to work, food to eat, a roof over their heads, a distraction to escape their cattle life, and the chance to bring more cattle into the world. You start taking that stuff away and they either fight for it or they leave to go somewhere they can get it. I'm not saying the world you state couldn't exist, it very well might, but don't think it would be the U.C.A.S. chock full of corporations.

Honestly, if things are so bad in the UCAS why would corporations even come here? Why do they now? They do it now because the economy is stable. Yeah, labor is cheaper in unstable places, but the danger is also greater that you'll end up losing your corporate assets to a local warlord or a band of religous zealots with guns. Corporations are not going to set up shop in places that are bordering on anarchy, plain and simple.

If things truly are as bad in the U.C.A.S. as you paint them to be, then there wouldn't be nearly the resources, nearly the technology, nearly the functioning society and its programs the canon books state there is. It would be anarchy. There'd be no place to get the wizzer new cybertech, there'd be no available gateways to the computer other-world, there'd be no laws, no cops, just anarchy. And it isn't that way, not according to the books I've used and played with. I don't know, maybe that stuff has changed since FanPro took over, I haven't read a whole lot from their latest sourcebooks.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (shadow_scholar)
I'm not sure where you're getting these figures

Probably NAGNA.
for the most part what you're stating, aside from the sovereignty rights given to corporations and the loss of 2/3s of the land, sounds a lot to me like what happened during the Depression.  Yeah, times were hard then, but it didn't degenerate into a completely collapsed society or anarchy.  It just took some time to recover.  And it has.  The government put itself in debt to help the economy recover, and it worked, bigtime.

Because we got into a war. Moreover, in SR the downward slope started over sixty years previously and has not reversed.
Honestly, if things are so bad in the UCAS why would corporations even come here?  Why do they now?  They do it now because the economy is stable.  Yeah, labor is cheaper in unstable places, but the danger is also greater that you'll end up losing your corporate assets to a local warlord or a band of religous zealots with guns.  Corporations are not going to set up shop in places that are bordering on anarchy, plain and simple.

Extraterritoriality means the corps no longer need the government around them. When you've got the guns, the zealots and warlords don't look so bad. As for economy, the corps are the economy. Most transactions occur in nuyen (stronger than any currency in the world save the Swiss Franc and the Euro (the latter probably being bound to the value of the nuyen, though I don't have SoE on-hand).
If things truly are as bad in the U.C.A.S. as you paint them to be, then there wouldn't be nearly the resources, nearly the technology, nearly the functioning society and its programs the canon books state there is.  It would be anarchy.  There'd be no place to get the wizzer new cybertech, there'd be no available gateways to the computer other-world, there'd be no laws, no cops, just anarchy.  And it isn't that way, not according to the books I've used and played with.  I don't know, maybe that stuff has changed since FanPro took over, I haven't read a whole lot from their latest sourcebooks.

It doesn't matter how bad the UCAS gets, as long as there are rich people to buy products and the corps don't need a strong government around them (and indeed prefer to avoid it) the corps will be advancing the pace of technology.

~J
lollerskates
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The majority of Lone Star consists of people who could barely afford a Middle lifestyle if you multiply their pay by 1.5. They are not going to be a threat.

yes, they are. anybody with a gun is a threat.

The cybered/magic-using heavy-hitters are nasty, but they're also expensive—it's much less expensive and easier to come down hard on some tiny gang and point to them and say "these are the guys, honest".

what you're suggesting the gangs do isn't exactly covert operations here. a flimsy story like that isn't going to fool lone star's own men, nor the packs of investigative reporters eager to make the front page, nor the Seattle government that contracted the corporation's services to keep the peace. the repercussions would be far more severe than the cost of sending in some heavy hitters to wipe the offending gang off the face of the planet.

not to mention that by backing down from such a blatant spit in the face, they'll be sending a message to criminals everywhere that lone star is a corporation that can be easily fucked with.

there are ways of sending a message to those at the top that don't involve slaughtering everyone at the bottom.

I do doubt that real cops would be anywhere near as effective as you suggest in this situation, but Lone Star is not comprised of real cops.

Regarding your strike-team-in-the-barrens example, there are several canon examples of gangs hanging out there with missile launchers (the big ones, certainly, but they're there). They aren't going to take kindly to the intrusion. Once you lose a few of the vehicles you're coming in on complete with everyone on board, you start to ask yourself if it was worth it.

then cut a deal with those holding the missile launchers. enlist their aid in helping you eliminate the target gang in exchange for a few get-out-of-jail-free cards. ganger solidarity is not an idea that should leave the television screen.
BitBasher
And BitBasher, please remember that we're not dealing with Real Life here. We're dealing with Shadowrun, which is as pure a form of Hollywood bullshit as you can get without going to Hollywood.
"SR" is not hollywood. Your game may be, but many games are different. Mine is about as far from "hollywood" as you can get... well not that far if you count HEAT, Ronin or Collateral.
lollerskates
collateral isn't hollywood? collateral? eek.gif
BitBasher
QUOTE (lollerskates)
collateral isn't hollywood? collateral? eek.gif

Compared to Last Action Hero? No. Collateral was actually pretty good IMHO in the gunplay dept comapred to most all other hollywood flicks.
Cynic project
QUOTE (shadow_scholar)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jun 22 2005, 03:42 PM)

I'm not sure where you're getting these figures, but for the most part what you're stating, aside from the sovereignty rights given to corporations and the loss of 2/3s of the land, sounds a lot to me like what happened during the Depression. Yeah, times were hard then, but it didn't degenerate into a completely collapsed society or anarchy. It just took some time to recover. And it has. The government put itself in debt to help the economy recover, and it worked, bigtime. There is the idea that the U.S. economy was always meant to be in debt so that it always had something to work for. The cattle of society (read: the middle class) don't change, they always want the same thing; a place to work, food to eat, a roof over their heads, a distraction to escape their cattle life, and the chance to bring more cattle into the world. You start taking that stuff away and they either fight for it or they leave to go somewhere they can get it. I'm not saying the world you state couldn't exist, it very well might, but don't think it would be the U.C.A.S. chock full of corporations.

Honestly, if things are so bad in the UCAS why would corporations even come here? Why do they now? They do it now because the economy is stable. Yeah, labor is cheaper in unstable places, but the danger is also greater that you'll end up losing your corporate assets to a local warlord or a band of religous zealots with guns. Corporations are not going to set up shop in places that are bordering on anarchy, plain and simple.

If things truly are as bad in the U.C.A.S. as you paint them to be, then there wouldn't be nearly the resources, nearly the technology, nearly the functioning society and its programs the canon books state there is. It would be anarchy. There'd be no place to get the wizzer new cybertech, there'd be no available gateways to the computer other-world, there'd be no laws, no cops, just anarchy. And it isn't that way, not according to the books I've used and played with. I don't know, maybe that stuff has changed since FanPro took over, I haven't read a whole lot from their latest sourcebooks.

Estmiated Sinless in the UCAS 30%
Below Poverty level 26%.

now seeing as you would not have to count Sinless in poverty studies, you really have a shit load of poor people. We are really talking about an econamy that is really fucked up.

Now would the people know that things used to be better? Maybe. It depends on what they teach in history classes. WOuld the people care enough to do something? Again maybe. They could "know" that for all the bad things in the UCAS it is not as bad other places. They may "know" that things will get better. They will get the pie in the sky.

But in the end, it is not just the UCAS that is fucked up, it is the whole world.
ShadowDragon8685
Well of course the whole world is fucked up. That's what you get when you let corps grow into legal mafia. smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (lollerskates)
then cut a deal with those holding the missile launchers. enlist their aid in helping you eliminate the target gang in exchange for a few get-out-of-jail-free cards. ganger solidarity is not an idea that should leave the television screen.

How much do you think you'd bet that the gang/s in question would not leak that LS is planning something big by cutting a deal with their gang (the gang should be big if they have heavy artillery)? And what media snoop doesn't have some ganger contacts and doesn't want a scoop?

You might be able to enlist their aid, but if LS wants to go through that gang's territory, they'd still have to pay the toll. Once word gets on the street that one gang turned lackey to LS, what do you think would happen to them?
lollerskates
QUOTE (toturi)
How much do you think you'd bet that the gang/s in question would not leak that LS is planning something big by cutting a deal with their gang (the gang should be big if they have heavy artillery)?

that really depends on whom you consider a more valuable ally. lone star? or some rival gang that might not even exist in the future if the cops decide to follow through with their strike plan?

And what media snoop doesn't have some ganger contacts and doesn't want a scoop?

for a gang, maintaining a good mutual understanding with lone star is far more profitable in the long run than whatever cash selling the story would bring in. furthermore, you would have absolutely no proof to back up what you're saying. and furtherfurthermore, the story isn't that hot anyway.

You might be able to enlist their aid, but if LS wants to go through that gang's territory, they'd still have to pay the toll. Once word gets on the street that one gang turned lackey to LS, what do you think would happen to them?

absolutely nothing. buying and selling is hardly "turning lackey." it wouldn't be the first time that lone star employed the services of people living outside the law, and it wouldn't be the last either.
toturi
QUOTE (lollerskates)
that really depends on whom you consider a more valuable ally. lone star? or some rival gang that might not even exist in the future if the cops decide to follow through with their strike plan?

for a gang, maintaining a good mutual understanding with lone star is far more profitable in the long run than whatever cash selling the story would bring in. furthermore, you would have absolutely no proof to back up what you're saying. and furtherfurthermore, the story isn't that hot anyway.

absolutely nothing. buying and selling is hardly "turning lackey." it wouldn't be the first time that lone star employed the services of people living outside the law, and it wouldn't be the last either.

Yeah, but what about the 10 other gangs that didn't make the deal? Would they sit on their hands and wait for the Gang+LS alliance wipe them out (even if such a plan did not exist, would the gangs be not paranoid enough to think of it)?

For a gang, rep is everything. Once word gets on the street, the whole Barrens will turn on them, especially if the gang that LS was gunning gets taken out. They'd do it for self preservation if nothing else.

The street would not see it as buying and selling. They would see it as selling out. And then the gang's rep would be in the shitter. LS hires Shadowrunners sometimes, professional SRers are smart enough to keep quiet, other not-so-pro SRers should be smart enough to know that if they blab, other street gangs would not be "friendly" towards them.
lollerskates
QUOTE (toturi)
Yeah, but what about the 10 other gangs that didn't make the deal? Would they sit on their hands and wait for the Gang+LS alliance wipe them out (even if such a plan did not exist, would the gangs be not paranoid enough to think of it)?

what 10 other gangs? we're only discussing 1 gang here. as long as you don't pull the same stupid shit that got lone star so pissed off that they'll try to flatten you outright, you have nothing to worry about.

The street would not see it as buying and selling. They would see it as selling out.

no they wouldn't. the ones who you claim would see it as selling out would've done the same thing themselves many times in the past. cop-criminal transactions happen everyday in the real world, and it's just silly to assume that it wouldn't happen in the shadowrun world, especially considering how much more corrupt the system is supposed to be. if gangs go after each other's throats for something as simple as tolling a cop for passing through your turf, lone star wouldn't even be necessary anymore.

gangs aren't us vs them. it's us vs everyone else, and you grab whatever allies you can.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 22 2005, 02:25 PM)
If they are going to make a raid into a Z zone, they're not going in with five city masters and a wasp.  They're going in with tanks, helicopters, satellites, lasers a few kliks away, gas, and magic up the ying yang.  They'll send in elementals beforehand and drones the size of a booger to map out the entire place and every enemy in there, and when they go in, you won't have time to pull your pants up, much less grab, load and prep your gun.

If they're going to make a major, multi-million nuyen strike with media coverage, they're going to do it right.  It's not something they can afford to do often, and it's certainly not something you want to be around if it happens.  There are too many careers on the line for them to use anything less than absolutely overwhelming firepower.

It's not something they can afford to do period. If they could do it, they'd have done it already. I find it hard to imagine anything that doesn't involve large parts of downtown blowing up will put any more egg on Lone Star's collective face than the fact that two large parts of the city are completely abandoned to the criminals and dregs of society. Not only that, but major highways go abandoned to go-gangers at night. These people do not have the resources or control to mount that kind of strike.

Lone Star certainly has the resources to do it. It would require a great deal of creative logistics to pull off. Lone Star has the resources to pacify and occupy the Barrens if they wanted to. However, their orginazational structure isn't conducive to fullscale paramilitary operations. They would probably require the assistance of the Metroplex Guard to make such an operation feasable.

Why haven't they done it already? Politics and money. It is cheaper to leave it alone but, more importantly, it would be bad for the polititions who approperiate the money for their contract. The SINless can't vote so crime among the SINless is no big deal so long as it remains among the SINless. If the powers that be were to make a large scale effort to reclaim the Barren one of their first major steps would be to give out SINs to the people that makes their homes there. This means more voters, voters who can tip the scales in an election. No sane politition would want this.
If they don't give out SINs like they were candy then it will be impossible to catalog and track all of the people living in the Barrens

If they had to go in to get individual cop-killers the would probably use undercover officers and irregular assets. More of the latter than the former, probably.

If there was a war declared agaisnt them then they would have no choice but to respond in kind. It isn't like they can abandon one city without losing an absurd amount of stock value and most of their other contracts.

The reason that organized criminals can assasinate judges in Italy is that they have a great deal of money and influance. The reason that the cops don't just smash them down is that people have rights to fair trials and things like that.

In the Barrens Lone Star faces none of these problems. The Yakuza and the Mafia have vast resources. The street gangs don't . The street gangs are too busy killing each other to make a coordinated attack against anyone. Enemies can sometimes unite for the greater good, but I doubt there is a good great enough that the Spikes and the Night Hunters would work together. There are too many prejudices and hatreds. As for rights, nobody will care much if a few gangers are killed when they started the conflict in the first place.

These gangs only have about 15-25 members. They can't put up much of a fight.
lollerskates
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Why haven't they done it already? Politics and money. It is cheaper to leave it alone but, more importantly, it would be bad for the polititions who approperiate the money for their contract. The SINless can't vote so crime among the SINless is no big deal so long as it remains among the SINless. If the powers that be were to make a large scale effort to reclaim the Barren one of their first major steps would be to give out SINs to the people that makes their homes there. This means more voters, voters who can tip the scales in an election. No sane politition would want this.
If they don't give out SINs like they were candy then it will be impossible to catalog and track all of the people living in the Barrens

i think you're employing faulty logic there. more people voting would also mean more people you can convince to vote for you, so it's really a null issue.

revitalizing the barrens is an accomplishment that would pretty much guarantee another term for the politician who spearheaded the project, so i'm inclined to believe that if lone star is capable of carrying out such a task without suffering heavy setbacks, they would do it.
Supercilious
The Barrens would chew the 'Star up and spit them out.

If the Barrens that most GM's run is any indication, every single goddamn block has a gang and atleast five guys with a pistols skill of 3+ with some Ares HP gear, more if it is a good gang; way more if you happen to come across the hiding place of a team of elite frag-off runners.

It would be like vietnam.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Supercilious)
The Barrens would chew the 'Star up and spit them out.

If the Barrens that most GM's run is any indication, every single goddamn block has a gang and atleast five guys with a pistols skill of 3+ with some Ares HP gear, more if it is a good gang; way more if you happen to come across the hiding place of a team of elite frag-off runners.

It would be like vietnam.

No. It would be like Iraq at the worst. For it to be like Veitnam their would ave to be organized resistance. There would be resistance, sure, but it certainly wouldn't be organized. For a prolonged occupation and cleanup they would need military support from the metroplex guard and the authority to hand out SINs like they were pez.

The former would require a some politiking. The latter would require a lot of politiking. If the actuaries looked at the numbers and decided it was a good idea LS would start renegoating its contract in that direction. However, the risk and the resource commitment are great and the profit is realitivly low unless they can do some fantastic negoation so the actuaries probably won't recomend it any time soon.
fistandantilus4.0
Just a couple of thoughts to throw out real quick:

The Star is qualified as a AA corp , so yeah, they do have the ability to raid an entire Z zone. An individual city force may not, but they do have assets to move around.

However, they most likely wouldn't. Because if you were to do this, then you would have two options tacticly. One, you can charge in and let some of the targets (gangers, SINless, so on) get through your raid. And where are they going to go? You';ll have z-zone residents running to hide in the areas that you ARE paid to protect, and most likely commiting a lot more crimes, since they probably had to leave everything they had behind. 2) they can well them all in, and let none escape and a) shoot everyone, and get fired basically for slaughtering people. Doesn't matter if they're SIN less without rights. They'd catch crap for shooting hundreds of dogs in the street, much less people. or b) arrest every single person, haul them all in, and either sort through them, which would be horribly ineffective, or lock them all up, which would be a logistical nightmare.

of course, the whole point here wasn't to raid the barrens with tanks and take out all the gangs. What it was , was ashow of force, taking out one gang, and doing it very thouroughly. Yes, it was for two cops, that died years ago. Could just be a convenient excuse to do something that needed to be done. But they're not dumb enough to start an all out war. This is something that you can do to maybe two or three gangs, before the others either lay seriously low, or seriously arm up, or both. But it makes them think twice about their actions, especially if it happens a second time. ANd that's the point.
ShadowDragon8685
I don't think it would happen.

After all, the Barrens are home to more than just gangers with pistols of 3+ and Ares Predators.

They're home to Shadowrunners, among Shadowrunners including Faces, and what are Faces good at? Persuasion. Like say, persuading all the gangs to band together to protect their home.

The Z-zones might as well be a country entirely seperate from the UCAS, like the NAN, but without any real law and order within them. They're lawless. Lone Star going into a Z-zone, and I don't care what the official laws on the books say, might as well be a military invasion. That's what it would have to be.

You're attacking people's homes. People who are trying to live as best they can with the fantastically shit-tastic deal handed out by the people with SINs to the SINless, like them. People who's only recourse is crime to survive, and their liberties and freedoms are only as strong as the hotloads in their gun.

So yeah. Lone Star going into a Z-Zone would be a Mogadishu, if not a Vietnam. Lone Star, as a whole, might have the firepower to do it, but as the wars in Vietnam and Iraq have shown us, such operations are hardly cost-effective. Rather, they're enormous money-sinks, and can turn a record surplus into a record deficet.

And unlike the United States Federal Government, or even the UCAS Federal Government, Lone Star does not have the authority to raise taxes and cut social programs to pay for their warmongering. So they'd have to boost their prices for service into the "You gotta be slottin' me" range, which would result in Knight-Errant Security becoming the new police forces for many major metropolitan areas.

So yeah. Hyzmarca has it right, but I think you'd need more than the authority to hand out SINs like Pez. Remember, Lone Star can already issue Criminal SINs. If you're really fragging desperate for a SIN to use for most normal person operations, like buying groceries, just spend a night in the drunk tank, and if you're lucky enough to not dissapear into the organ donation banks, bam, SIN.

People turn to crime for a reason. Very few people want to break laws, people, and things, just because. Many, like gangers, turn to crime such as gang-banging, for survival and prosperity and security. A lone man in the Barrens is prey. Five men together with guns are predators, even if it is a harsh existance, it's better than prey.

Why, exactly, do most of your Shadowrunners run the Shadows, anyhow? How many of them turned to crime because they're general anarchists or villians?

How many run the Shadows for lack of any other way to survive, grow, and prosper in the world? How many are hooders that run the Shadows for a cause?

I'd wager that the survival and prosperty types and the cause types far outnumber the villians and anarchists.

So you'd need more than a PEZ-dispensor of SINs. You'd need to work on revitalizing the Barrens. One way to start, actually, would be to actively start recruiting in the Z-zones. If you can take gangers and put in the discipline to be a Lone Star Beat Cop, not only have you taken a criminal off the street, but you've got someone who's a perfect shoe-in for your security forces.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
So yeah. Lone Star going into a Z-Zone would be a Mogadishu, if not a Vietnam.

I guess I'm talking to a wall.
toturi
If you see gangs as mere street gangs, maybe they should not have the firepower to stand against law enforcement. But if you can see the gangs portrayed in SR as militia, then I think you ought to see the point that in a Z-Zone, law enforcement is ineffectual and at the mercy of the local street gang.
nezumi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

I disagree. They ARE AA. They can afford to clear out at minimum a good sized section of city. They can CERTAINLY afford to clear out a few city blocks! And that's what the discussion seemed to originally stem from, what would you do if they're rolling in for a very precise raid after a few people or a gang? That doesn't require an army.

They might not be able to afford to HOLD it, but that's a very different, much more difficult question, one they haven't been asked. As it stands, the poor people stay where they are, out of sight, out of mind. The rich people aren't paying extra in welfare, medical service or protective services. And while the mayor could ask Lone Star to reclaim the barrens, it would require either taking some major loans, or raising taxes significantly. It would lead to an increase in crime in the nicer areas, it would stretch Lone Star's protection, it would cut down on many of the cheap pleasures the poor voters like so much (sex, drugs and BTLs).

Really, the only person who MIGHT win, aside from Lone Star, who would charge a huge fee for all this, would be the single ork mom trying to support six kids with no medical insurance, who regularly has to deal with gangers stealing her stuff. And even in her case, she can't sell her body any more, and so whats she gonna do?

Considering it would probably cost a few million to launch all the choppers, pay the death costs, etc. for a raid on a few city blocks in the barrens, I doubt it'll happen unless it's a major thing. Someone got a nuke and is going to use it in downtown Seattle. The mayor's daughter was kidnapped and is sitting in a safehouse there. It's not going to be on behalf of old Joe Shnitzler, who took two in the line of duty. If runners are the targets, they really should have known better than to still be around Seattle in the first place.
mfb
you guys are talking about two completely different things. half of you are talking about LS performing a quick raid--rolling out in heavy gear, driving through Puyallup to a specific location, hitting that location, and going back home. the other half of you are talking about declaring war on the Barrens--moving in and taking over the entire area(s) from the gangs that occupy it. and then you're confused as to why the other side doesn't get what you're saying.

a raid in force is entirely possible, and probably happens fairly often (once every month or two). kicking all the gangs out of the Barrens is certainly outside the capability of Seattle's LS forces. if every city that LS holds a contract in has a force similar in size to Seattle's, then it's probably not outside the capability of LS as a whole--but pulling all those forces out of the other cities will lose LS a hell of a lot of contracts (as in, every contract except Seattle), so it's not going to happen anyway.
Kagetenshi
Even a quick raid with overwhelming force seems implausible when they abandon major highways to go-gangs every night.

~J
shadow_scholar
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Probably NAGNA.

I checked my NAGNA last night, it didn't have any info regarding economic statistics. However, the Seattle Sourcebook did, and it seemed the unemployment rate was around 26%. Not so different from the Depression, when the unemployment reached a high of 23%.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Because we got into a war. Moreover, in SR the downward slope started over sixty years previously and has not reversed.

This is so far the most plausible reason things may be as bad as some of you guys think. But I don't really believe people would allow things would have gotten as bad as the picture you guys paint.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Extraterritoriality means the corps no longer need the government around them. When you've got the guns, the zealots and warlords don't look so bad. As for economy, the corps are the economy. Most transactions occur in nuyen (stronger than any currency in the world save the Swiss Franc and the Euro (the latter probably being bound to the value of the nuyen, though I don't have SoE on-hand).

No way corps would risk that much. These aren't guys with their own private armies at every facility, they're just corporations with security staff on hand. If things really are that bad people would have rioted a long, long time ago. If the situation seemed to get worse, and the government and its municipal security force was truly that weak, man, there wouldn't be riots anymore, there'd be revolution. The corps need the government to handle the masses because, if not, the bigger that gap gets between the haves and the have-nots the bigger the chance for a country shattering change. Sorry, man, but a squad of corp guys with guns isn't going to hold against hundreds or even thousands of hungry, pissed off people. The masses don't just go hungry and die while the corp folks watch from their ivory towers, that poor majority is going to do something about it. What do they have to lose, they're already starving, right?

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It doesn't matter how bad the UCAS gets, as long as there are rich people to buy products and the corps don't need a strong government around them (and indeed prefer to avoid it) the corps will be advancing the pace of technology.

That's not even possible. Without the middle class to buy products then the corps die. You can't have an economy, you can't have a society, without a strong middle class. With only a handful of rich people to buy products those products become enormously expensive and eventually the corps would starve themselves. They'd stop producing those expensive products because they'd cost so much no one would buy them, not even the rich, who really aren't that many people. Corps need Joe Average to buy their products, otherwise how would they make their money? If there was no Joe Average to buy that stuff then R&D would cease to exist because the corps wouldn't have the money to spend on it. They'd fall back on cheap, easy to produce products that people needed, not just ones they wanted. Forward progession and technological advancement would stop. All of the sudden the state of the art would begin to slip backward as the economy collapsed because any money they had would become worthless. Then you'd have anarchy. It would level the playing field. It would then fall on tangible resources being regarded as valuable. All of the sudden the people considered "rich" would be people who had food to eat and the means to protect it and those people would begin to trade with one another. Civilization would have to start over from the beginning. No more wiz toys, no more refined products, you'd just have a society at the equivalent technological level of the dark ages.

But since Shadowrun says that those wiz toys and refined products do exist that tells me that things cannot possible be as bad as some of you guys think they are. It just isn't believable.
BitBasher
I think most folks here are giving gangers way too much credit. The gangs that get the limelight in SR are the big, military weapon wielding gangs, not the small disjointed tiny turf fragmented gangs that make up the majority of the gang members.

Furthermore, outside of top tier gangs in general gang members are morons. Idiots. They care about nothing but "rep" and have no forward thinking or tactical ability. They have the "I'd rather die" to prove how tough I am mentality. I can't impress upon you folks how stupid and shortsighted these people are.

There's no good reason for Lone Star to clear out either barrens at all. There's no public outcry to do so, the areas are accepted as they are and forgotten. They are legally classified a Z zone and left that way. It's a self cleaning oven. For the majority of all cases gangers kill other gangers, and that's it.

Lone Star could definitely if they wanted to perform a large scale cleansing of the barrens, they are a multibillion dollar multinational extraterritorial megacorporation one step below the big 10. The catch is that there is absolutely no reason for them to do so.
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Even a quick raid with overwhelming force seems implausible when they abandon major highways to go-gangs every night.

again, you're talking about taking and holding. if LS erects defenses and hunkers down in gang territory--or, in this case, go-gang territory--then they're asking to get hit with everything the gangs have. if LS moves in, makes a quick strike, and then backs out, there's nothing for the gangs to target.

besides, what better way to maintain your presence in the public's mind than to have big, violent gangs that you vailantly keep contained? if LS is that ineffectual, why haven't the gangs overrun Downtown?
FrostyNSO
Just look at the weaponry included with the Troll Ganger archetype in the SR3 BBB. Chains, heavy pistol...whoop.

I believe it also says something ike "Guns are good backup, you gotta pound em with your fist to prove a damn thing."

No rocket launchers or LMG's though.
The Archimage
Trying to coordinate all the gangs to work together is simply not going to happen no matter how skilled your Face is. Everyone is going to look at the situation and simultaneously realize, "If one of our rival gangs joins in this effort and we don't, they'll wear themselves out. Then we can roll right over them and gain more turf!" The alliance falls apart, and any gang stupid enough to join the revolution will get stomped by those who did not. Lone Star comes in, wipes out its one target, and leaves. The turf lines change a little bit, but life in the Barrens goes on like normal.
Nikoli
Simple then, once the coalition is formed of the various gangs willing to join, you level the turf of the strongest gang that didn't. the other stand-offs will hurry to join then.
mmu1
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

again, you're talking about taking and holding. if LS erects defenses and hunkers down in gang territory--or, in this case, go-gang territory--then they're asking to get hit with everything the gangs have. if LS moves in, makes a quick strike, and then backs out, there's nothing for the gangs to target.

besides, what better way to maintain your presence in the public's mind than to have big, violent gangs that you vailantly keep contained? if LS is that ineffectual, why haven't the gangs overrun Downtown?

Holding a major highway at night should be pretty easy - it's flat asphalt, with no cover, with tons of choke-points (on and off ramps) that can be held to control much larger areas.

Just put some people on the ground supported by a decent network of strato drones (which will, at night, basically be invisible sniping positions as far as gangers are concerned) and you're in business.

That, canonically, LS isn't able to do that speaks a lot about either the cops' abilities, or those of whichever SR writer came up with that idea...
nezumi
Or that really no one needs those particular highways at night (I mean really, if you're a trucking company, do you send your shipment from the NE, around the barrens, through farms and on into the heart of Seattle, or do you send it from the SE, past the radioactive wastes of an old meltdown currently claimed by a number of violent gangs? Alright, now which route are you going to ask LS to protect?)
PBTHHHHT
Argh, listening to all these arguments back and forth, sheesh and some people are adamant like brick walls in their views. Look, different styles, different games, and especially different views/outtakes on the situation. Some like it more dystopia, others more realistic, etc... Just take the following stuff into consideration.

Look, there's lots of folks in the barrens, not all of them are in gangs. Some are scraping by and look up to the high life they see in trids. Nuyen talks. Lonestar and gangs will both have lots of connection in the barrens in the form of snitches, etc... But not only that, some folks do not want a ganger lifestyle, they are living in fear as the gangers are outside their windows running amok. Yes, some gangs are supposedly street protection, etc... but that's not the case for all.

Will they help out the gang when Lonestar raids? Bulldrek.

And as some folks argue, Lonestar is making a raid. Not all gangs have the heavy weaponry and if they pass by their turf into another rival gang's territory for a raid. You think they'll aid the rival gang. The same gang who killed your best buds from childhood, who cut off your cousin's hands? Oh heck no. You're gonna kick back and enjoy the fireworks and after Lonestar leaves, you go in and you kick the gangers who escaped the raid. Payback is a freaking slitch. I hope you <insert rival gangers> burn in hell.

Most of the gangers are small time fries. 25 members or so. They see the LS taskforce driving through, they're gonna crap in their pants... That is if they see it, many are probably drunk and passed out after that nova drek party earlier in the night or zoning on btl chips, or sleeping. They are not all gathered and ready at a moment's notice. They're disorganized and if the taskforce goes by without anybody seeing them, they won't know what's going on till the heavy drek hits (that is, if it's going on only a few blocks away, and again maybe the drek is in the rival gangs territory, eh, maybe it's a gang war not involving them. Who cares then? Unless they have a tight alliance, but hell, maybe not, especially if they've been fighting over turf).

Lonestar has the assets for mages, elementals, lots and lots of drones (with weapons!), Citymasters, hardened body armor, skilled training, tactical computers, you name it.

You keep arguing about the whole Iraq situation, fine, but the forces can still do raids. The terrorists there cannot fight back to a standstill, they have to do a underground guerilla fighting, hit and fades. The argument of Mogadishu, hell, we've learned. You think Lonestar and all military and security forces hasn't learned a few things about urban combat in the world of Shadowrun?

That along with as someone mentioned irregular forces and snitches. Guess what? If they want to make it look less official? Hire some mercs who'll go in discretely, go in, kick some hoop. You don't have to do as much paperwork, you got the perps dead, no dead corp employees (those mercs are contractors), everyone's happy. There are plenty of shadowrunners/mercs who'll be happy to do some wetwork who are major hoopkickers. Some are sadistic enough and will
enjoy the slaughter of an entire gang.

edit: Hell, if ye can find info via the snitches and you provide info to some Shadowrunners who's friends/families were victims of that particular gang. Use your imagination. end edit.

Some in the barrens wouldn't mind if their street might be taken back under 'civilization'. Maybe they can get a menial job, but hey, there's the offchance they can get a SIN and move up in the world. Hey, it's a chance, so would they help the gangers, who's been harassing your niece, and their stray bullets from some firefights have killed your mom? Hey, that Lonestar undercover guy was nice and heck, he even gave you some nuyen. Maybe you can keep it up and get enough to get some education for your kids, maybe they can get a SIN, get out of this hellhole existence...

As for giving up part of the cities, I agree with Nezumi's argument. Hell, if none of the citizens are there (or supposed to be there) in the evenings and it's not an expensive piece of real estate (like the extreme parts of the highways), why bother maintaining a presence. It's not cost effective enough. The gangers are gonna attack each other over turf and they'll kill each other. No big loss.
Supercilious
A raid will work, I think we all agree on that. It is the occupation that would fail. Not every gang has LMG's and rocket launchers, in fact only a rare few do. But as soon as the 'Star starts taking and occupying territory the gangs that have the LMG's and rocket launchers will start hitting Lonestar back, or at the very least they will be entrenched when the 'Star gets to them.

A lone sniper can hold back a platoon of guys for days in a city sufficiently ruined and hard to navigate.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Supercilious)
A lone sniper can hold back a platoon of guys for days in a city sufficiently ruined and hard to navigate.

Not really in a world where we can send a greatform elemental that's immune to bullets to beat him to death, commanded by an astral patrol that can spot living things like clockwork. magic tips things heavily in favor of the Star.
FrostyNSO
And if the mage isn't available, I'm sure the Star wouldn't mind calling in a T-bird to level the building he's hiding in.
ShadowDragon8685
Until your elementals and precious mages get their butts handed to them by street shamans and rogue mages.

Remember, magic is not an exclusive venue of the Star. In fact, it's something more likely to be in the hands of the enemy than not; hardware is a thing, it can be repressed, destroyed, or too expensive for street scummies to have. Magic comes to those it comes to, without caring if they're rich or poor, criminal or cop....
ShadowDragon8685
Frosty: They've tried that before. Not only is a T-bird a prime target for AA, in fact THE prime target, but trying to kill a lone sniper with an aircraft is damn-nigh impossible. Close air support is good at sowing destructiong amongst infantry squads and bringing down death onto tanks, but singling out a sniper amidst an urban ruin? Not so easily done.
FrostyNSO
It's alot easier to lure the ones that do end up with te ability if you can offer a 6 figure salary and access to some of the most advanced libraries, lodges and equimpment around.

Speaking of which, there's a good chance the Star magic will have more access to Foci, conjuring materials, etc. etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012