Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: .50AE and Other Monsters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Critias
For the record, Frosty, people probably assume suppressive fire (on a SAW or otherwise) is full auto because that's what it is in Shadowrun (and, well, that's often the mentality people bring to bear on a Shadowrun message board). I imagine the assumption just sort of carries over to real-world discussions whether they mean for it to or not.

I mean, if you're firing short, controlled bursts into people on purpose, instead of just spraying in their general direction, you're obviously targeting that opponent with three-round bursts fir a +2 power and an extra damage level, not suppressing them. wink.gif
sidartha
I don't know....
They look pretty suppressed laying on the floor bleeding out like that.

wink.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
Ed_209a
You are firing short controlled bursts into the cover you think the enemy is hiding behind, to encourage him to _stay_ hidden behind it.
FrostyNSO
That's how they taught us, Ed.

Doesn't even have to be a controlled burst, just a steady semi-auto will do the trick just fine.
KarmaInferno
I imagine suppressive fire from a .50 Deagle would be pretty good for making folks stay behind that cover.

That or it'll punch through the cover and kill them. Either way works, I guess.

"Help, help, I'm being suppressed!"

Actually, it wouldn't be very effective at all. It'll be noisy, but no one's going to know it's a big bad Desert Eagle; it's a handgun, so precise fire is not going to be as easy as with a rifle; and you only get 7+1, so I hope you enjoy reloading. And .50AE's not the nicest stuff to be hit with in the world, but I wouldn't put that much faith in its penetration. It's big, it's loud, it hits hard, and it's still not a rifle. And that's that.
Nikoli
However there is the "fecalator" aspect to consider.
gfen

If people can't keep a coherent thread, its not my problem.

We've wandered far, far away from the concepts of realistic self defense with a handgun to spraying bullets willynilly around the streets.

And, in the end, enjoy prosecution and the thrill of civil suits if any of you should ever draw your weapon and attempt to "lay down some suppressive fire."

gfen, tool.
Raygun
QUOTE (gfen @ Jul 12 2005, 02:05 PM)
We've wandered far, far away from the concepts of realistic self defense with a handgun to spraying bullets willynilly around the streets.

That's not what anyone was saying and it's a shame that you can't seem to wrap your mind around what "realistic self defense" actually can entail. But you can play the numbers all you want, equipping yourself only for what is most likely rather than for what is possible. It's your decision. But continuing to ridicule anyone who disagrees with you does not endear anyone to your ideas. I'm certainly not any more inclined to carrying a small revolver on the sole argument that to do otherwise is "tacticool". It's an argument based on nothing more than personal opinion. And yours is so far not very compelling.

And, in the end, enjoy prosecution and the thrill of civil suits if any of you should ever draw your weapon and attempt to "lay down some suppressive fire."

Enjoy the elevated risk of pain and potential death if you should ever find yourself in a situation where your J-frame isn't enough gun and running away isn't an option. Not all circumstances are the same. Here's to hoping you never miss.
Ed_209a
My feelings about realistic self defence are these:

Auto vs Wheelgun - More rounds give you more chances to miss and still live. Since you probably won't be firing more than a few dozen rounds at the extreme, jamming shouldn't be an issue. You don't want to rest your health on bargain weaponry or ammo.

Caliber - Within reasonable minimums, any firearm you can put multiple hits on a paper plate at 15 feet with no preparation, is a good self-defence gun. If you can do the same with a playing card, I would say _any_ firearm. 2 hits with a 9mm is usually better than one hit with a 10mmA, 45ACP, or whatever.

I don't carry a firearm for my own protection, but if I did, I would get the largest caliber that I could control and fire instinctively. And I would practice, practice practice. A hit with a 380ACP will always do more than a miss with a 500S&W.
Critias
I wish I was cool enough to post a bunch of inflammatory bullshit, vanish for a week, and then yell at everyone for not keeping a coherent thread while I was gone.
gfen

Ed_209a:
Auto vs Wheelgun - More rounds give you more chances to miss and still live. Since you probably won't be firing more than a few dozen rounds at the extreme, jamming shouldn't be an issue. You don't want to rest your health on bargain weaponry or ammo.

Jamming is always an issue, always.

Also, realistic self defense scenarios don't involve "a few dozen rounds," they involve a few rounds, if any.

Critias:
  I wish I was cool enough to post a bunch of inflammatory bullshit, vanish for a week, and then yell at everyone for not keeping a coherent thread while I was gone. 

Yeah, its pretty hot having a real life where I get to go outside and like, y'know, do stuff instead of sitting around in front of a computer drooling over my keyboard.

Ed_209a
QUOTE (gfen)
Jamming is always an issue, always.

Also, realistic self defense scenarios don't involve "a few dozen rounds," they involve a few rounds, if any.

Yeah, what I meant is that with a quality weapon, with quality ammo, clean and in good working order, the reliability for a revolver or semiauto should be well above 99% for the first few rounds.

So I wouldn't use that as a point for choosing the revolver.

That said, if a revolver feels more natural in your hand than any auto, wheel on, buddy!
hyzmarca
For reliability and ammo capacity one could always go with a revolver that is fed by a removable magazine.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galle...s/1300/1358.htm

Yes, it is a silly gun that is probably more trouble than it is worth and the trounds are terribly overpriced, but the concept could be further explored.

gfen, perhaps you should look into the concept of the tactical retreat. Simply turning your back and running is as good as painting a bullseye on yourself in most self-defense situation. It is important to continue fighting while retreating.
Kagetenshi
That… depends heavily. Home-defense, possibly, as you're still in the area. On the street, depends—did you drop your valuables, or appear to? If the answer's yes, turning your back and running will typically result in absolutely nothing happening to you.

The mindset that everyone who attacks you is intending to kill you is a venomous one.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
True, but it does foster paranoia properly. And in some places, paranoia is a survival trait.
PBTHHHHT
on a related topic sort of...
Did anybody see mythbusters last night. They were checking on how much water was needed to keep you safe from bullets. They went from pistols to shotguns to civil war muskets to 223 rifles and to a 50 caliber rifle.
Very interesting stuff, and yeah, most of the bullets of the high velocity stuff mostly shattered in the water. Stay below four feet of water and you're doing pretty good.
Arethusa
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
True, but it does foster paranoia properly. And in some places, paranoia is a survival trait.

Argh, fuck, not this again.

Kagetenshi : Gambler's Falacy :: Arethusa : Paranoia is Useless
mfb
QUOTE (gfen)
Yeah, its pretty hot having a real life where I get to go outside and like, y'know, do stuff instead of sitting around in front of a computer drooling over my keyboard.

didn't you get the letter? that argument makes you look less cool and more stupid, not the other way around. it's one of the last resorts of people who know they're losing an argument, but don't have the sand to admit it.

QUOTE (gfen)

the vast majority of them, sure. but if i luck out and find myself in that tiny minority, i'd rather be prepared for it.

QUOTE (gfen)

realistic self-defense wasn't the base topic in the first place, idiot.
Raygun
Nevermind. This whole argument is irrelevant and pointless.
mfb
gfen is limiting his discussion pretty much soleley to civilian self-defense, maybe stretching into self-defense for a lone beat cop. he's not talking about what the rest of us are talking about: multiple assailants, self-defense for people involved in violent crime, paramilitary combat loads, offensive scenarios--things shadowrunners find themselves involved in, in other words. things that are, you know, relevant to the forum on which this thread is being hosted.
Raygun
I wanted to hear it from him. Anyway, I'm not going to continue arguing against someone's opinion. It's pointless.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Critias)

We can't all be superstars.
Gauvain
In my games we've been assuming from the concept art that Lights are 9mm, Heavies are .44 or .50.

It just makes it easier. Using this as a baseline you can extrapolate other calibers using the Cannon Companion design rules.
Arethusa
That makes not the slightest bit of sense.
Critias
Which "that," specifically, Arethusa? There are lots of "thats" floating around on this thread.

And, as far as not having enough ammo for a "home defense" (or whatever scenario it is gfen is going to claim to be exclusively discussing this week)? Ammo is like a parachute. You might not ever need extra, but when you do need it, you better fuckin' have it. I'm not going to take anyone's word for how much ammo is "all I could ever need" for any scenario but a day at the range.
Kagetenshi
Melee weapons and a house built like a maze, gotta love 'em.

~J
hyzmarca
Considering that sometimes take more than 40 bullets from 4 trained police officers to take down an unarmed man who is begging for his life on a poorly lit street, it is important to consider the possibility that lighting conditions will make it difficult to actually hit an attacker. Unless have a high looking cool in shades skill that can be used to center away the lighting penalities, of course.
Critias
Couldn't just mention that sometimes you need more ammo, without the cop bashing, could'ja?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Critias)
Couldn't just mention that sometimes you need more ammo, without the cop bashing, could'ja?

Less cop bashing and more why Lone Star should issue low light vision cybereyes to all officers. Showdowns at high noon are the rare exception and things can get rather confusing in the dark. Of course, one of the better parts of the self defense law is that it doesn't require an actual threat, just the reasonable perception of one.
Nikoli
And self defense cases against unarmed persons ar emore easily believed when proper lighting isn't a factor...
Arethusa
QUOTE (Critias)
Which "that," specifically, Arethusa? There are lots of "thats" floating around on this thread.

Gauvain's post.
Fix-it
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 15 2005, 03:30 AM)

Less cop bashing and more why Lone Star should issue low light vision cybereyes to all officers. Showdowns at high noon are the rare exception and things can get rather confusing in the dark. Of course, one of the better parts of the self defense law is that it doesn't require an actual threat, just the reasonable perception of one.

Less cybereyes, more goggles or sunglasses.

cheaper. less permanent (can be used by more than one person)
stays with the company if the employee quits.

c'mon. think like a corp.

it goes like this:

" nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif devil.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif vegm.gif nuyen.gif "
Arethusa
You guys really think systemic racism can be cured with night vision? I think this is actually sillier than gfen's asshattery.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Arethusa)
You guys really think systemic racism can be cured with night vision? I think this is actually sillier than gfen's asshattery.

Systematic racism, no. Police shooting people who are trying to hand over their wallets, yes. Except in the Barrens, of course.
Arethusa
White guys don't get shot in the evening when reaching for their wallets.
Apathy
*Call in the hostage negotiator...we've got another thread hijacking...*

Oh well, it's not as if we were actually discussing anything informative here anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012