Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mnemonic enhancer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Frater Inominatus
If one were to take Mnemonic enhancer, which reduces the cost of learning/improving skills by one point of karma, would that in effect give the character a "jack of all trades" ability? Perhaps not actually gaining all skills, but effectively giving them the ability to roll one die without defaulting on any skill.

Sort of like the cantrips from MitS. You can get free, low level spells by making them exclusive or fetished. Why not do the same thing for skills?
toturi
QUOTE (M&M p. 73 Mnemonic Enhancer)

Under Game Effects, change the third paragraph to read:

Because memory retention is key to learning, the Karma cost for learning or improving skills and specializations is reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 1) for any character with a mnemonic enhancer.

No, it doesn't.
Frater Inominatus
Way to let a guy down easy toturi. frown.gif
toturi
Hey, I do have a rep as an insane bookninja to maintain. biggrin.gif
The_Eyes
It's still a great deal though.
fistandantilus4.0
now here's the fun part. Become an initiate, do an astral quest rating 2 (pretty much idiot proof) to learn a spell. Learn a force 6 spell for 1 karma. And get two more dice to do it with!

Is it cheap? yes . Is it legal? yes Should it be allowed? debateable, but it doens't say anywhere that they're not compatible.

Then get the cognition metamagic too and knock off another one.
Herald of Verjigorm
How exactly are you paying half karma for spells in the first place? Spells aren't skills, and the mnemonic enhancer only saves one karma on skills. Congnition similarly only applies to skills, but can stack with the mnemonic enhancer.
fistandantilus4.0
you're right , sorry, figuring in house rules again.

To us it just made sense that if you could use it for skills, it would work for learning spells as well since a good chunk of it is retention , at least w/ hermatics. YMMV
Herald of Verjigorm
Ah, that makes more sense.
Do you still use the TN F*2 test to actually learn the spell, or has that been made easier too?
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
How exactly are you paying half karma for spells in the first place? Spells aren't skills, and the mnemonic enhancer only saves one karma on skills. Congnition similarly only applies to skills, but can stack with the mnemonic enhancer.

1 karma per level on skills for the mnemonic enhancer.. level 3 mnemonic enhancers reduce the karma cost by 3, along with all the other bonuses.
Herald of Verjigorm
No, it's been errata'd to only provide 1 karma cost reduction regardless of grade.
Dawnshadow
Ah, my bad.

*makes a note to argue his GM out of following that particular Errata if he ever plays the character with it*
Grinder
I once had a player who had a human sammie with mnemonic enhancer (3) before the errate came out. It's not nice.. after a couple of runs he was a jack-of-all-trades (had started out with good attributes though). The reduction to only 1 karma point reduction makes sense imo.
Herald of Verjigorm
The level 3 version is still very useful. You get an extra die to all your knowledge skills, and 3 extra to all your language skills. An int 6 character can effectively have 4s in 9 languages, or 5s in 4 languages, providing significant fluency in multiple environments.
Definately beats out knowsofts and linguasofts in my opinion if you aren't playing the int 1 troll (who needs the chips to speak clearly in complete sentences).
fistandantilus4.0
Ah, that makes more sense.
Do you still use the TN F*2 test to actually learn the spell, or has that been made easier too?

oh we most defintely do. I had one player that was all happy "I saved up and took manabolt at force 20!"

"really? and you rolled a 40 to learn it when?"
"huh? 40?"

I'm not looking for a way to completely gimp the system here. It just made sense. Besides, astral quests to reduce the karma cost of learning a spell is already pretty damn easy, especially for shamans, since (unless I 'm remembering wrong) hermetics need to quest to all 4 elemental planes. Realistically, on an astral quest, a 5 is pretty damn easy to roll too as long as you have a good spread of skills. So it's not like getting dirt cheap spells isn't already written in. This way, they at least have to lower their magic rating, or take a geas to do it do to the 'ware.
Herald of Verjigorm
Shamans need to go to their totem plane, same with voodoo. Hermetics and wujen go to whatever plane corresponds to the spell (hermetic goes to earth to learn armor, don't remember if it's the same for wujen). It's only for the initiatory astral quest that hermetics and wujen get the metaphysical boot to the teeth.

I was mainly asking because the extra dice from the astral quests are at least as important as the karma reduction when trying to learn a spell.
Apathy
Shamans need to go to their totem plane, same with voodoo. Hermetics and wujen go to whatever plane corresponds to the spell (hermetic goes to earth to learn armor, don't remember if it's the same for wujen). It's only for the initiatory astral quest that hermetics and wujen get the metaphysical boot to the teeth.

Combat - Plane of Fire
Detection - Plane of Air
Manipulation - Plane of Earth
Illusion - Plane of Water

I can't remember what they do to quest for Health spells. Are you not allowed to quest for Health spells?
Herald of Verjigorm
Hermetics can't quest for health spells, no corresponding plane. They also can't use an elemental to aid study for health spells for the same reason.

Since it isn't earth for manipulations for wujen, I will amend my parenthetical comment with this brief list.

Wood - Detection
Fire - Combat
Earth - Health
Metal - Manipulation (and Sylphs)
Water - Illusion

So wujen get it slightly worse when astrally questing for as an aid to initiation, but at least they can learn Heal with extra dice.
Frater Inominatus
Hermetics can't quest for health spells, no corresponding plane. They also can't use an elemental to aid study for health spells for the same reason.

Since it isn't earth for manipulations for wujen, I will amend my parenthetical comment with this brief list.

Wood - Detection
Fire - Combat
Earth - Health
Metal - Manipulation (and Sylphs)
Water - Illusion

So wujen get it slightly worse when astrally questing for as an aid to initiation, but at least they can learn Heal with extra dice.

MitS pg. 94

In the case of formulas that do not fit a particular element, the gamemaster selects an element at random, based on the astrological influences or some similar tide in the universe.
Herald of Verjigorm
Hmm... missed that line. And that was one of my prime reasons for preferring wujen over hermetics.
6thDragon
I assume, with the errata, the -1 karma cost for skills is at any level. Is this how everyone plays? It seams like a very powerful piece of bioware for .2 BioIndex and nuyen.gif 15,000. Does anyone else house-rule this for level 2 or 3?
mfb
mnem enh 3 is almost as good as that language-learnin' adept power (can't think of the name). together, they are horriffic. any language you are exposed to for more than an hour or so, you learn (for free!) at an effective rating of 4.
FlakJacket
Linguistics allows you to pick up the basics of the language at rating one, not sure where you're getting rating four from, in about four/five hours for no karma and reduces the time to learn it when improving your skill rating after that. You'd have to also take the Cognition metamagic to get near the bonuses of a level three mnemonic enhancer IMO.
toturi
Flak, level 3 Mnem Enhancer gives 3 bonus dice to Knowledge and Language Skill Tests, in addition to other things.
Frater Inominatus
Where do you find the'cognition' metamagic technique? I've not heard of it.
toturi
SOTA 2064.
Frater Inominatus
Got it thanks.

Does the reduced karma effect learning spells too?
fistandantilus4.0
Don't have my book on me, but assuming Herald checked, not by canon. My group plays it as reducing from spells. I don't see why it would reduce learning skill cost, and not spells, other than that it says so in the book.

With the enhancers, you could perhaps reason that it doesn't work with spell learning because it's biotech, and magic and tech don't mix well. But that of course doesn't jive with the adept power of cognition. So ask your friendly neighborhood GM, and see if he/she's feeling generous. Just remember that it's a double edged sword, and could very well mean that the mages you face off against could do this as well, and have a lot more spells than you're used to.
So geek the mage first.
Talia Invierno
I don't see why it would reduce learning skill cost, and not spells, other than that it says so in the book.
- fistandantilus3.0

Maybe it's because learning a spell doesn't require memory as such, so much as understanding and insight: seeing old things in a new way?

Consider: with any skill, in learning it to a new level you build on what is already there -- you don't have to pay karma cost each time as if learning it from the beginning. With a spell, you do, always.

Additionally: there is no default for spells (or for the core magical skills for that matter): you either know that particular spell, or you don't. You can adapt a spell to cast it at less than you know it at; but even if you acquire a major power focus you can't try to cast a spell at a Force above what you learned it at -- understood it at? To me, this suggests that there might not be a common "data" base upon which memory can call ... that each acquiring of spell is an absolutely unique and to some extent intuitive thing.

Finally, there are two parts to acquiring a spell: developing/acquiring the formula, and comprehending the formula. The first might possibly rely more heavily on memory -- but it's the second that costs the karma.

This interpretation doesn't even require a presumption that magic and tech don't mix well: because it would have nothing to do with that.

(Says the person whose LitS character is a memory-sink ... and thus understands the limitations of memory.)
mfb
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Jul 15 2005, 08:10 PM)
Linguistics allows you to pick up the basics of the language at rating one, not sure where you're getting rating four from, in about four/five hours for no karma and reduces the time to learn it when improving your skill rating after that. You'd have to also take the Cognition metamagic to get near the bonuses of a level three mnemonic enhancer IMO.

i'm talking about Linguistics + Mnem Enh 3. Linguistics gets you the first point, and the Mnem Enh gets you 3 bonus points.

as talia said, "learning" new spells might not have anything at all to do with memory. for instance, you could have a mage whose spells are all cast through tattoos; getting a new spell isn't a matter of learning anything, just getting the right design inked.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (mfb)
I'm talking about Linguistics + Mnem Enh 3. Linguistics gets you the first point, and the Mnem Enh gets you 3 bonus points.

Ah, gotcha. Thought you were just talking about Linguistics by itself - but combining it with a level three mnemonic enhacer is an evil idea. smile.gif
mfb
it's horrific. after an hour, you speak any language better than most native speakers.
toturi
How well do native speakers speak their own language? I mean most times I put my native speakers of a language at 4, so with a Lingusitic + Mnem Enhancer 3, you'd pass for a native speaker, not any better.
Herald of Verjigorm
After just scanning the rules, it would take a starting adept 4 hours to learn. Only the thrice initiated adept (with no magic loss) can learn in an hour. Entertainingly, there is no mention of a minimum time needed, so lingual adepts who have initiated 4 times just get to roll the test as often as desired for any language that they encounter.
mfb
eh. i usually view 3 as being 'average' for most things. languages are basically knowledge skills; 3 is dedicated and 4 is well-rounded. depends on your opinion of the average person's literacy, i guess. the language TNs are insane, though, so it's hard to properly judge.
toturi
Native to me means the guy has to be using it all his life. Dedicated would be someone in elementary/primary school, once out of high/secondary school(or its 2060 equivalent), I'd say well-rounded.

Language Skill Level
1) You know the alphabet.
2) You read Dr Seuss.
3) You read Sweet Valley High.
4) You enjoy Harry Potter.
5) You do essays.
6) You do a thesis.
7) You give lectures.
8) You are the author of a dictionary.
Talia Invierno
grinbig.gif

The basic language rules were written from a (dominant monolingual) N. American perspective, following assumptions that don't hold true for the majority of the world's population. It took the longest time for N. American psychologists even to break free from the assumption that children who grew up bilingual tended to be behind their age/schoolmates in English language skills. It's only very recently that the studies have started to come out demonstrating that, once the local native language has been learned, the opposite seems more frequently to be the case. (Previous studies had been confounded by lumping in every child in a bilingual environment, whether or not that child had recently emigrated.)

In any case, we created several edges allowing for different "home" language usage, such as Bilingual (allowing two languages at full IN x 1.5 level, or three or four at (IN x 1.5) -1 or -2 respectively), Natural Linguist (twice starting language points, -1 to all language-related TNs), and Knack for Languages (grew up in a multilingual environment, can make a guess at meaning for any language within the same language family as one you already know as if you had skill level 1 in that language).

Add those kinds of edges to Mnemonic Enhancer, Linguistics, Centring (languages), and Cognition ... cool.gif

The joyous thing of it is, there does exist a solid magical tradition, in fantasy and fairy tale and myth, suggesting just this type and extent of communication-focused magic!
FlakJacket
QUOTE (toturi)
How well do native speakers speak their own language?

An intelligence of three for the average bloke on the street gives you three multiplied by one point five rounded down for your free/native language skills so that's four points. However since raising say English to rating four would cost five points since that raises it above the linked attribute, I figured the average rating would three - since that's considered competent/average by the main book - with the remaining free point being used to raise Read/Write to two.
Zeel De Mort
QUOTE (toturi)
How well do native speakers speak their own language? I mean most times I put my native speakers of a language at 4, so with a Lingusitic + Mnem Enhancer 3, you'd pass for a native speaker, not any better.

Hey don't forget an Encephalon 2 and Cerebral Booster 2 for this super-linguist. You can add Task Pool to Language tests, so that's another three dice on them. A matter of hours studying any language and you'd be able to roll seven dice on it.
toturi
Any native speaker of that language without Linguistics but with Mnem Enh + Encep 2 + Cer Booster 2 will be doing Nobel Prize Literature.
Herald of Verjigorm
At least literature worthy of a Nobel Prize before the introduction of such hardware. Since the introduction of such hardware, the Nobel Prizes were all bough by Saeder Krupp as a marketing scheme.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 17 2005, 08:06 PM)
Any native speaker of that language without Linguistics but with Mnem Enh + Encep 2 + Cer Booster 2 will be doing Nobel Prize Literature.

Not when you apply defaulting penalities for using language instead of creative writing skill. It will have few, if any, spelling or gramerical errors. Unfortunatly, that doesn't mean that it will be any good.
toturi
I'd put Creative Writing as Complementary instead as the primary. Creative Writing should work for any language.
Talia Invierno
I wish.

Understanding and being able to manipulate nuance in one -- essential for creative writing -- is very different than understanding nuance in another: and that's even when the two languages are relatively close together or belong to the same family. German regularly trips up English-speakers because its construction and flow and nuance are utterly different ... even though its vocabulary and basic grammatic structure is similar enough usually to get by.

Go from English into Japanese or one of the Chinese languages, and you not only have a different language surface construction (grammar) and radically different vocabulary, you also have all the extra connotations derived from using a single symbol to have many separate and diverse meanings, even "Japanese" vs. "Chinese" meanings for exactly the same symbol -- and the construction of that symbol implies yet other, embodied meanings: who among native English speakers considers that the double happiness symbol also has overtones of marriage and perfectly fitting into each other and even a specific poem?

Yet another aspect to creative writing [style] is the literature history. I won't go into this in detail, but just pull up TS Eliot and Milton as examples: how can anyone begin to understand their writing, let alone write like them, without a thorough knowledge of all literature -- and even other expressions of local culture -- that have gone before?
weblife
Creative Writing as a skill transcends language. People who are good writers, are good writers in any language they know.

And poor writers (creatively) can make passing translations of any work.

Its true, that the better you know a language, the better do you convey the exact emotion/situation you desire, but the natural instinct for good literature is a skill of its own, not linked to native language.

Just think of the many people, even around here, that write shortstories in another language than their primary.

My own english is not perfect, but its passable and certainly better than some native speakers can write it. But its my secondary language. And I can write equally creative stories in either language.

Using TS Elliot as "an example that cannot be tranlated" is not a good enough example. Because TS Elliot has indeed been translated to many languages.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (weblife)
Creative Writing as a skill transcends language. People who are good writers, are good writers in any language they know.

And poor writers (creatively) can make passing translations of any work.

Its true, that the better you know a language, the better do you convey the exact emotion/situation you desire, but the natural instinct for good literature is a skill of its own, not linked to native language.

Just think of the many people, even around here, that write shortstories in another language than their primary.

My own english is not perfect, but its passable and certainly better that some native speakers can write it. But its my secondary language. And I can write equally creative stories in either language.

Using TS Elliot as "an example that cannot be tranlated" is not a good enough example. Because TS Elliot has indeed been translated to many languages.

Talia Invierno did not state that TS Elliot couldn't be translated, just that one must have an understanding of his culture to fully understand his writing. This is true of any work of great literature.

Grasping the nuances of Dante without understanding medievil Italian politics and philosphy is difficult. Doing so without an understanding of the literature that inspired him is impossible. This is made even more difficult when you consider the signifance of Dante's chosen form of verse. The Divine Comedy's structure is highly symbolic but completely dependant on Italian grammer and word construction. Even a single misplaced word would cause it to lose its flow, therefore it is impossible to create a adaquate translation.

However, it is still possible to enjoy the work without full understanding and it is still possible to understand Dante's intent without reading the original Italian. Unfortunatly, you do lose some of the beauty of the work.

I would say that successful creative writing requires two tests, one language and one artistic. It is very important that tere be a seperate artistic skill for writing. Otherwise, some munchy adept will use language as an artistic skill for Centering (languages) and get a Mnemonic Enhancer so that he can increase his centering skill without increasing his language skill.
Talia Invierno
Fyi the reason I pulled up TS Eliot is because I was thinking about Eliot's penchant for pulling bits and pieces of other European writings into his own poems. Most people outside a European literature culture wouldn't be able to come up with something like that. Translate that into a different language and you'll get one meaning of the words -- and lose completely the places where Eliot used a language other than English (let alone why he'd have done so), or played off a pun that doesn't exist outside English, or referenced something local ... and that's quite apart from the flow of the words itself. (One reason why a professor of mine liked to read Dante to our class in Italian, even though only a couple of us actually understood more than a word here or there.)

I myself am an ESL-er. I have some sense of flow/style/nuance in English and two other languages -- each of which is independent of the others; I always get tripped up when I find myself accidentally "translating" rather than just "thinking" in a given language -- and having that sense at all lets me know just how far away I am from having something parallel in any of the other languages I attempt. I'm starting to be able to recognise good creative writing in those others. I know for an absolute fact that my creative skill in one language isn't translating over into those others, and won't for years and years (if ever).
toturi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 18 2005, 07:49 PM)
I wish.

Understanding and being able to manipulate nuance in one -- essential for creative writing -- is very different than understanding nuance in another: and that's even when the two languages are relatively close together or belong to the same family.  German regularly trips up English-speakers because its construction and flow and nuance are utterly different ... even though its vocabulary and basic grammatic structure is similar enough usually to get by.

Go from English into Japanese or one of the Chinese languages, and you not only have a different language surface construction (grammar) and radically different vocabulary, you also have all the extra connotations derived from using a single symbol to have many separate and diverse meanings, even "Japanese" vs. "Chinese" meanings for exactly the same symbol -- and the construction of that symbol implies yet other, embodied meanings: who among native English speakers considers that the double happiness symbol also has overtones of marriage and perfectly fitting into each other and even a specific poem?

Yet another aspect to creative writing [style] is the literature history.  I won't go into this in detail, but just pull up TS Eliot and Milton as examples: how can anyone begin to understand their writing, let alone write like them, without a thorough knowledge of all literature -- and even other expressions of local culture -- that have gone before?

Really? What you are talking about is Creative Writing(English), not Creative Writing. From what you have said about Creative Writing, I can already discern some basic principles of Creative Writing as you see it. What can these principles not be taught and learnt as Creative Writing? Awareness of the need that nuances, connotations and literature history affect creative writing can be taught.

I would say that successful creative writing requires two tests, one language and one artistic. It is very important that tere be a seperate artistic skill for writing. Otherwise, some munchy adept will use language as an artistic skill for Centering (languages) and get a Mnemonic Enhancer so that he can increase his centering skill without increasing his language skill.

You do know that you roll Centering Dice(not the linked skill) for Centering tests, do you not?

EDIT: I think you just proved my point, Talia. You have only Creative Writing (some languages), rather than the general Creative Writing skill. You are begining to improve your general Creative Writing skill - that's why you begin to see good creative writing in other languages, either that or your specialisation is good enough that you can get successes when you default.
Talia Invierno
You have only Creative Writing (some languages), rather than the general Creative Writing skill.

So far we're agreed. Incidentally, the first point of break-down is your assumption that a general Creative Writing skill exists, and mine (based on my experience thus far) that it doesn't.
You are begining to improve your general Creative Writing skill - that's why you begin to see good creative writing in other languages, either that or your specialisation is good enough that you can get successes when you default.

There is an old joke about the instructor who was gifted at teaching swimming ... until one day he fell into a pool, and people discovered he couldn't actually swim. Recognising what constitutes skill/art and being able to do said skill/art are two very different things. (Ask any professor biggrin.gif)
Sicarius
smile.gif Those who can do. Those who can't...teach.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012