Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EuroAir flight 329
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Velocity
QUOTE (Velocity)
On a related note, can multiple uses of the Movement power (either by the same spirit or different spirits) be stacked? I suspect not, but after hearing about those ramming rules I figured I'd ask.

QUOTE (tisoz)
Movement takes a complex action but is not an exclusive action. So with enough services, enough turns, and maintaining line of sight ... It seems possible.

Thanks for the info. smile.gif Now, does anyone else think that's a tad excessive? I don't want to suggest that the Movement power is broken or anything, but... well, damn. That's a whole lotta mojo.
tisoz
How is it excessive?

When used on a target that gets multiplied or divided by the spirit's force, I have found it usually seems theoretically possible to get excessive. But when the logistics of accelerating the target, then accelerating the spirit to maintain LOS, then either having more services to do it again or another spirit to accelerate the target, spirit number one and itself, it all falls apart. The actual logistics is almost impossible to pull off for any excessive use.

When used on a target that gets its acceleration modified and applied to speed, the power doesn't even need stacked - it can get excessive by one spirit riding the vehicle and sustaining one service of the power over multiple turns. Each turn the acceleration gets modified and applied to current speed, so when used to take advantage of ramming rules, it doesn't require stacking services or spirits.
Velocity
QUOTE (tisoz)
But when the logistics of accelerating the target, then accelerating the spirit to maintain LOS

Can't the spirit maintain LOS by flying alongside the vehicle in Astral Space? A spirit's speed in Astral Space can exceed pretty much any vehicle, can't it?

QUOTE (tisoz)
How is it excessive?
(...)
it can get excessive by one spirit riding the vehicle and sustaining one service of the power over multiple turns

Wait--is it excessive or isn't it? smile.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (Velocity)
QUOTE (tisoz)
But when the logistics of accelerating the target, then accelerating the spirit to maintain LOS

Can't the spirit maintain LOS by flying alongside the vehicle in Astral Space? A spirit's speed in Astral Space can exceed pretty much any vehicle, can't it?

Movement is a physical power. The vehicle is physical. The spirit needs to be present on the physical plane.

QUOTE (Velocity)
QUOTE (tisoz)
How is it excessive?
(...)
it can get excessive by one spirit riding the vehicle and sustaining one service of the power over multiple turns

Wait--is it excessive or isn't it? smile.gif

I may have sounded contradictory, but I was trying to point out it can get excessive by the rules without the need for stacking the power. smile.gif

I wonder if GMs force a control test when the spirit is using the power on the PCs vehicle for their benefit. I think they shoul, or the player needs to at least say he is ordering the spirit to gradually increase the speed. I've seen GMs not bother, too.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (tisoz)
I wonder if GMs force a control test when the spirit is using the power on the PCs vehicle for their benefit. I think they shoul, or the player needs to at least say he is ordering the spirit to gradually increase the speed. I've seen GMs not bother, too.

That is in the desciption, if the accel/decel exceeds the limit
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (tisoz)

Movement is a physical power. The vehicle is physical. The spirit needs to be present on the physical plane.

unless you use grounding rules> then just throw another spell on the vehicle.

Imagine the fun of using Fast Movement on an enemies vehicel, and forcing them to make handling tests or crash.
tisoz
So it may have been possible pre-3rd edition? It is impossible under third edition. I would need to think how exactly it could work prior to third edition. Yes, it is a physical power, but it is not like an elemental effect spell that automatically hits everything in the area of effect. It has been so long, I don't even remember if an area physical combat spell effected other targets on the physical plane. And the movement power isn't really an area of effect power, it would be more like a power bolt that just effects its target.

So please explain how you would get it to work through grounding, when ground was a viable tactic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012