Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shadows of asia
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (otaku mike)
http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/wordpress/?p=49

The release date is the 15th of August. It's official

I appreciate you giving us this. it does save me from checking Stiggysbaby every day, but I will be reserved in believing that deadline until it's met, or missed.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (SL James)
As much as it may make me the turd in the punch bowl, I found the lack of mention as to System Failure particularly telling, and not a little annoying.

I think I was predicting that failure a few weeks ago.
SL James
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 4 2005, 05:30 AM)
As much as it may make me the turd in the punch bowl, I found the lack of mention as to System Failure particularly telling, and not a little annoying.

I think I was predicting that failure a few weeks ago.

Good for you.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

I have much more material on Tibet in my notes that never made it into SoA due to word count. I have to see yet if FanPro wants to do anything with that material and the website, but if not, it will still be put out there.

YAY DE! THat's what I like to hear! "If they don't give it to you, I will" Good man.

Starglyte, thanks for the over view. At least now I KNOW that I want the book ,as opposed to being pretty damn sure.
JongWK
By the way, DriveThru has a pdf preview (roughly 1 megabyte). It has the back cover, full table of contents and the introduction. You might want to take a peek at it to see what's in. smile.gif
FlakJacket
Does anyone know who did the picture, of what I'm assuming is a Brahmin, on page fifty one?
Zen Shooter01
Okay...I got my PDF. What follows is Zen Shooter's review of Shadows of Asia.

It definitely lives up to the So line that has preceded it. There is enough material here for any gamemaster to run for years without getting bored. Just like with SoNA and SoE, I regretted that there was so much source material and so little time to play SR.

Like with the previous books in the series, I like the way that the country entries include information on government, major languages, major religions, major economic powers, just packing a lot of info into a small space.

However, in a perfect world I would have broken this book into two volumes. Covering everything from Israel to Russia to Japan (which could have easily been a sourcebook in itself) to the Kingdom of frigging Hawai'i, it necessarily spreads itself pretty thin. Perhaps the city sourcebooks that were refered to in the "What's Up With FanPro?" podcast will help correct that.

Frankly, I dont understand why FanPro ever scheduled this book to come out on top of SoLA, a plan which has gone by the wayside now. I think most players would have picked one or the other, because there's more than enough material in one book to support a campaign for a very long time.
SL James
Please, for the love of god I hope Turkestan isn't all of the Stans.
Zen Shooter01
Turkestan's central government is weak, but the corporations are in there with both feet, because of the New Silk Road, a railway & highway system that runs across central Asia, linking St. Petersburg, Russia, and Qingdao, in one of the Chinese splinter states. Sunni Islam is the major religion.

The other real power are the Hordes, nomad tribes that theoretically all obey the one Khan. Their situation is similar to the Anasazi of California and the PCC.

There's also Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Kalistan.
SL James
Oh, swell.
Penta
Random queries from someone without SoA...

1. In the Bollywood section, do people randomly break out into song?nyahnyah.gif

2. Neo-Tokyo? Uh, what happened to Tokyo?
Ancient History
QUOTE (Penta)

What always happens to Tokyo? Doi. wobble.gif
Penta
I have no idea what always happens to Tokyo (or why nobody rebuilds the damn thing without renaming it like they do every other city everywhere).
otaku mike
Hmm... New Monaco anyone?
Canis
1. In 2059 the Indian government makes it a law that all conflicts need to be resolved through song (particularly if they involve star-crossed lovers), also all students need to take choreography and singing lessons starting by the age of 9. Just kidding, actually they do mention Bollywood and it’s essentially the same as today, actually a lot of SR India is the same as today (if you ignore the magic stuff).

2. Tokyo (and most of Japan) was leveled in an earthquake as detailed in YotC. Neo-Tokyo covers a larger area and is built largely by spirits/kamis to avoid the megas taint. I guess these reasons are why they felt they needed to give it a new name (I think it’s a bit odd, but no big deal).

Right now I’m reading the Russian chapter.
Slacker
QUOTE (Shadows of Asia)
As part of the reconstruction plan, Tokyo prefecture was officially merged with the surrounding prefectures of Kanagawa,
Saitama and Chiba, turning the Tokyo sprawl into an official prefecture called Neo-Tokyo.
hermit
One quick Question: Have Hong Kong and Shenzen been merged too? And does the inner city airport still serve as an airport?
Slacker
QUOTE (hermit)
One quick Question: Have Hong Kong and Shenzen been merged too? And does the inner city airport still serve as an airport?

Just did a quick search and didn't find any mention of Shenzen in th SoA at all, nor did I find any reference to Hong Kong merging with anything.
hermit
It's the former free trade zone opposite the city. Click here for a map. And a Map of the district is available in that link. Careful, it's quite hi-res.
Demonseed Elite
Have Hong Kong and Shenzen been merged too?

No, Shenzen is part of the Canton Confederation, I believe, whereas Hong Kong is a free city. If it weren't for the national border in the way, though, it's very possible they could have merged.

And does the inner city airport still serve as an airport?

Do you mean Kai Tak? Kai Tak was closed, in real life, in 1998. It wouldn't be practical, really, anyway. Kai Tak only had one runway, which limited its growth, and since it was in the middle of the city, it couldn't be expanded. Plus, it limited the height of all buildings in southern Kowloon, which limited the city's growth.

Chek Lap Kok is the new airport, built on an artificial island off the coast of Lantau Island in 1998, with two runways.
hermit
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Have Hong Kong and Shenzen been merged too?

No, Shenzen is part of the Canton Confederation, I believe, whereas Hong Kong is a free city. If it weren't for the national border in the way, though, it's very possible they could have merged.

And does the inner city airport still serve as an airport?

Do you mean Kai Tak? Kai Tak was closed, in real life, in 1998. It wouldn't be practical, really, anyway. Kai Tak only had one runway, which limited its growth, and since it was in the middle of the city, it couldn't be expanded. Plus, it limited the height of all buildings in southern Kowloon, which limited the city's growth.

Chek Lap Kok is the new airport, built on an artificial island off the coast of Lantau Island in 1998, with two runways.

Okay, thanks.

I knew there was a new airport (and the old - Kai Tak - was located in about the worst possible spot for airports anyway). Wasn't sure whether the old one really was closed down. Thanks for the ionfo anyway. smile.gif

Hong Kong will be one fo the core settings, right? Nice. Puts SR a bit more in tune with current developments (what with China rising to superpower status, at least economically) and gives SR4 an international flair the old, West-centered backgeround never really provided.

Also, the proliferation of asian symbolism in the art now makes a bit more sense.

Is Manchuria a Japanese Protectiorate again? Canon isn't quite certain about this, IIRC.
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, Kai Tak was a frightening airport. Pilots don't tend to like to approach like this. eek.gif

Hong Kong will be one of the core settings, yes.

And no, Manchuria is its own nation. It gets a section in Shadows of Asia. It's a pretty interesting place. smile.gif
hermit
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Yeah, Kai Tak was a frightening airport. Pilots don't tend to like to approach like this. eek.gif

Hong Kong will be one of the core settings, yes.

And no, Manchuria is its own nation. It gets a section in Shadows of Asia. It's a pretty interesting place. smile.gif

Yeah, and imagine living in such a building! I grew up in one whcih was close to Berlin's inner city airport (the US' airfield), and even at 200 meters distance, Galaxies look HUGE and are LOUD. I can't begin to imagine having a Jumbo come down that close to you must feel. Propably, they're all deaf there, though.

Scary indeed.

And Manchuria is independent? Woot! Not just a "we redo history and put pointy ears on it"! I'm really looking foreard to SoA. Hope my FLGS has it by Friday. smile.gif
Slacker
Could the airport be open for use with VTOL vehicles? With helicopters, t-birds, and blimps being at least somewhat common, I could see that airport being open for such vehicles and possibly STOL vehicles.
Demonseed Elite
That's always a possibility, yah.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (Penta @ Aug 15 2005, 03:32 AM)

What always happens to Tokyo? Doi. wobble.gif

800 foot tall fire breathing lizard?
Aden,
Dunkelzahn
Alamais
Godzilla

I've heard of worse things.
Penta
<scribble> One wishes he could delete...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012