Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ethical question from a GM
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Nikoli
What if his skills as he thought he knew them were contrucs of the SK, and when it leaves, his real self emerges (think Star Trek Next Gen when the crew was wiped and didn't know if they could do somehting until they tried to)
Velocity
While I like the idea in principle, that would really be messing with his character. I'm just not willing to do that to an established PC.
Nikoli
One other option is to brainstorm with the player in question. After all, they are there to tell a story too, maybe they already have some good ideas, or can give you some guidelines as to where they are are comfortable with the plot going.
Mortax
Okay, so I just had a light bulb go on.

The cranial deck did cost essence. However, when he go some of his other ware installed, they put the cranial deck in. Some of his other ware is better grade. That takes care of the low essence problem. Also, that means you'll never have to deal with what grade anything is. Unless he dies and his teammates sell his corpse to a chopshop. smile.gif

Do you have both "threats" books? One of them has something about Deus sleeper agents. He could be one of the agents on the outside before or after the shutdown. Hell, if you're after shutdown, the thing in his head could be a big chunk of Dues. When he's not running, how much cold storage would it take? And if he was using some of the guys wetware to store himself, that would give him amnesia and maybe a psycological disorder when Deus rips free.

vegm.gif

And how is a cranial cyberdeck NOT cannon cyberware?
Slump
And how is a cranial cyberdeck NOT cannon cyberware?

It's not the deck itself, but the fact that it has no essense cost that's not cannon.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Mortax)
Do you have both "threats" books? One of them has something about Deus sleeper agents. He could be one of the agents on the outside before or after the shutdown. Hell, if you're after shutdown, the thing in his head could be a big chunk of Dues. When he's not running, how much cold storage would it take? And if he was using some of the guys wetware to store himself, that would give him amnesia and maybe a psycological disorder when Deus rips free.

For that though, he would have to have been in the arcology, getting Deus 'downloaded' into his wetware (check out Brainscan, at then end).

Following the SK as an enemy though, if it's in a cranial cyber deck, then it's naturally connected to his brain. So, of course, is that cyber arm. If you decide to make the SK an internal enemy, you could also have them contest control of the arm. Really depends on where you want to go with that. Also think about what other cyber the character has, and which peices it may be able to access. He'll be dreamin if bioware when it's all over. wink.gif
Kremlin KOA
the "improved grade of other cyberware" is the best option... even in a game where GM and players had an adversarial relationship... Nobody complained when they found their reflexes were actually beta grade
Edge2054
Yeah, I like the idea of tweeking the other 'ware till the deck fits as well. If it's not DNI I can certainly see it costing 'less' essence then it would otherwise but even a big chunk of cyberdeck in your head not connected to your wetware is going to interfere somewhat IMO.

The more I read over this thread Velocity the more I start to agree that addiction's not the way to go. Enemy, Amnesia, something along those lines. The long haul thing is just plain harsh though. Addiction in SR is evil.
Mortax
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
For that though, he would have to have been in the arcology, getting Deus 'downloaded' into his wetware (check out Brainscan, at then end).

I was refering to the ite In Threats 2. (I think it was 2 not 1). There are a large group of people participating in the recompiling of Deus, most without having nessissarily being inside the arcology.

Is it just me, or are the threats getting more and more terriying in this game? At first a hellhound was about the worst you would get. Shedem, AI, Horrors, and psyco bloodmages everywhere. Almost makes me nostolgic for 1st edition.

Nah, just kidding. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
those people were all in the arcology, and had Deus loaded into their wetware. THey're not all part of some grand conspiracy. Well, willingly at least. Like the example of the guy in Threats 2, many had no clue what was happening for most of the time. Then there are others, like Ronin, that take amore active role. If you don't have Brainscan, I suggest you get it. IT's a cool run (well, a lot of cool runs really), and answers a lot of questions about Deus and the arc. The end fluff starts off the T2 section really.
Velocity
QUOTE (Nikoli)
One other option is to brainstorm with the player in question.  After all, they are there to tell a story too, maybe they already have some good ideas, or can give you some guidelines as to where they are are comfortable with the plot going.

That's certainly an option, though I'd like to be able to surprise him with the developments as well. smile.gif

If you decide to make the SK an internal enemy, you could also have them contest control of the arm.

Shades of Evil Dead? smile.gif

QUOTE (Edge2054)
The more I read over this thread Velocity the more I start to agree that addiction's not the way to go.

I concur; people have been suggesting some excellent alternate options and I'm becoming less attached to 'Addiction' the more I read here.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Velocity)

Shades of Evil Dead? smile.gif

Actually yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind. Just a little less cheesy.'

"I'm bad Ash, and you're good Ash. You're goodie-little-too-shoos!You're goodie-little-too-shoos!"

Method
I personally think this is a great plot device. I wouldn't mind if a character I created with those flaws had this subplot. It would be fun.

On flaws: I think allowing players to take flaws that never effect them in game is more game breaking and a greater disservice to the players than pushing thier limits a little bit and letting them role play it.

On Essence: Deffinately adjust the other ware's grade(s) to fit in the new stuff. Maybe the street doc or clinic that implanted his other ware is somehow in league with whoever it is that wanted to implant an SK in his head. (BTW the whole "who's behind it" aspect is something you haven't yet mentioned. Do you have any ideas there? besides Deus)

On New Flaws: I kind of like the fragmented personality/amnesia aspect fistandantilus3.0 mentioned on the first page. I'm thinking you don't need long haul. The cranial deck must have a RAS override that the SK can access; maybe this is modified to make the runner black out, but still allow the SK to do whatever it is you were going to have him do. Maybe this experimental modification isn't completely effective and the runner "wakes up" with vauge fragmented memories of doing thing he doesn't quite remember. The Scorched conditioning may be a crucial part of how this system works. Maybe the RAS kicks on, the SK gives him some kind of simsense stimuli and he goes into a highly suggestive hypnotic state where in he will do whatever the SK wants but doesn't remember...

"Man, I had the weirdest dream last night... I dreampt that I bitch-slapped the head of a local Yakuza ring... Hey whos that angry Japanese dude coming this way?" ork.gif

This could explain Enemy Flaws, or weird Compulsions or Amnesia.
Velocity
QUOTE (Mortax)
Some of his other ware is better grade. That takes care of the low essence problem.

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
the "improved grade of other cyberware" is the best option

QUOTE (Edge2054)
I like the idea of tweeking the other 'ware till the deck fits as well.

QUOTE (Method)
On Essence: Deffinately adjust the other ware's grade(s) to fit in the new stuff.

Okay, so it seems that a consensus has emerged on at least one aspect of this plan... smile.gif While I'm still not completely convinced (I still think handwaving it to zero Essence is just plain easier), I will definitely take your arguments into consideration.

Regarding the drug Long Haul and my initial inclination toward it: the PC is using the drug right now, in-game. We've been playing for a while and the character started--of his own free will--using the drug for extended "matrix legwork" before big runs. That's where I got the idea for an SK, actually: I started wondering what was happening in his brain afterwards, when he was sleeping off the effects of the drug? I'm certainly not married to the idea of using the chemical or exploring the effects of addiction, but I thought it would be cool to tie the Flaw into actions the PC was taking of his own volition...
Mortax
QUOTE (Velocity)
I still think handwaving it to zero Essence is just plain easier), I will definitely take your arguments into consideration.

Ah, but that's the cool part. You don't have to adjust anything. That is the cyberware he wanted, thinks he has, and can use. How the hell is he gonna know if some of it is better than what he paid for? vegm.gif

On the addiction note, I'd say give him something else. It sounds like he's gonna end up with this anyway. Unfortunatly, this may kill him before the SK gets out. I have a similar problem with one of my group. I've got his story line tied into my overall plans, and if he dies I'm boned. Wonderful when this drek happens, neh?

fistandantilus3.0, I didn't realise they were all in the arc, I thought some of them were "conditioned" by others afterward. Hmmm.... now there is a fun idea....

And again I realise my players are going to hate me the next time we play. devil.gif
fistandantilus4.0
well if the guy was taking Long Haul in the first place, of his own accord, screw it, apply normal addiction rules, and he'll screw himself over, no worries. Don't bother pushing him into it w/ the SK. Let him do it himself. Maybe he'll learn somethin'
Velocity
Actually, the addiction code for Long Haul is ridiculously low. I did a little arithmetic a few months ago and figured that he'd have to take it another 20 times or so before there was even a remote chance of addiction. Seeing as how he's only taken it four or five times over the past dozen runs, there's no way he going to "naturally" develop an addiction in the course of this campaign.

QUOTE (Method)
The cranial deck must have a RAS override that the SK can access; maybe this is modified to make the runner black out, but still allow the SK to do whatever it is you were going to have him do. Maybe this experimental modification isn't completely effective and the runner "wakes up" with vauge fragmented memories of doing thing he doesn't quite remember. The Scorched conditioning may be a crucial part of how this system works. Maybe the RAS kicks on, the SK gives him some kind of simsense stimuli and he goes into a highly suggestive hypnotic state where in he will do whatever the SK wants but doesn't remember...

biggrin.gif Funny, this is very close to where my thoughts have been going for the past few days.

It gets worse, actually. The character's gone to great lengths ensuring all his cyberware is tightly linked via routers, DNI links, etc. The SK could easily access the Image Link in his cybereyes, the Sound Filters in his cyberears, his internal phone, his cyberlimb... his Smartlink... his Wired Reflexes. eek.gif

What's worse than an SK running on your cranial deck? An SK runing on your cranial deck that can control what you see, hear and say over the phone to your comrades, contacts and rivals. vegm.gif
ShadowDragon8685
And worse, one that can access your weapons' systems and your wires, so he can move and shoot for you.

Actually, if the relationship turned symbiotic, that could be handy. Taken too much Stun damage? Let your SK take over for you. He dosen't suffer from your Stun, because he can't feel pain.
Velocity
QUOTE (Method)
(BTW the whole "who's behind it" aspect is something you haven't yet mentioned.  Do you have any ideas there? besides Deus)

Here's the thing: in my campaign, the Arcology Shutdown has not yet happened. Deus isn't even a myth yet--the name hasn't come up and the PCs are exploring a completely different plotline (working a dangerous game among some Yakuza, actually--but that's neither here nor there).

I do want to run the Arc Shutdown though and I've began laying the groundwork for it, slipping little news items into the e-mail postings I send out to them about hiccups in the SCIRE security, etc. I would like this SK-on-the-brain to tie into Deus, the otaku, the events in Brainscan (which I own, love, and can't wait to run) and the "contingency" plan in Threats 2.

I'm planning to change Deus' plans from canon, anyway...
Velocity
So I've been re-reading Brainscan this weekend... can anyone think of any compellig reasons why the SK in this PC's head couldn't be Morgan/Megaera? I mean, given that I'm already planning to modify canon significantly.

The PC could stand in for Dodger.... or am I nuts?
fistandantilus4.0
well, yeah , one. If you haven't read the entry in Threats 2, your question is understandable. But the network refered to in there, and by Mortax includes Deus and Megaera. They're fighting for supremacy over the network to see which one gets to exist. I'm think the cover of System Failure might be a hint on that. So if you're looking to change canon, depending on how that all pans out, you could have a lot of reworking to do.
Velocity
I have read Threats 2 and I don't really see a problem with my idea. For "The Network" to exist, all that's required is for Brainscan to end the way it's scripted:

[ Spoiler ]

As long as I got Megaera out of the PC's head some time before then, it could work--couldn't it?

I like the idea because it provides a solid link to the whole Deus / Arcology story and eliminates one of the problems with Brainscan: the focus on powerful NPCs during critical moments of the story. Instead of Dodger hogging the limelight, a PC could play that pivotal role.
Dog
I'm glad to see that you're willing to overlook the rules to make a good story. The only concern I have about your original proposal is if you're railroading the character with the flaw-swap. Are you going to tie the potential change into a choice that the character has to make? The player has to have some part in determining his character's fate. Of course he doesn't need to know what the potential outcomes will be, just as long as he feels he's actively participating.

For example, after the PC learns about his Mr. Hyde, he finds that his only chance to have it safely removed is by attending blah blah clinic blah blah secret blah blah plot device. Choosing this risky endeavour will cause his brain-buddy to be traded up for other flaws. However, the character could just as easily choose to seek out the mystical blah blah training blah blah mind control blah blah and learn to live with the flaw he has.

Or something like that.
Thing is, looking at it from the player's perspective>> I want a character with a particular flaw; my GM must not approve, because at some opportune moment he rolls a crapload of dice and tells me that I wake-up with a different flaw. As a player, that'd upset me.
Velocity
QUOTE (Dog)
The only concern I have about your original proposal is if you're railroading the character with the flaw-swap.

You make a good point, but I have no intention of forcing a particular solution on to the character. I abhor railroading and I always try to leave my players as many options as possible. For instance, the PC may try to negotiate with the SK and arrange a partnership; he may to double-cross it; he may find himself completely in its thrall if he's not careful; he may decide to risk the consequences of emergency brain surgery; he may evolve into a gestalt cybermind (unlikely, but stranger things have happened); etcetera.

While there will be a Flaw-swap at some point (this is pretty much mandated by the description of "Mysterious Cyberware"), I have no intention of forcing a particular outcome.
lorthazar
Why would there be a Flaw swap. Why not a simple Karma buy out and the risks of surgery? Seeing as how you are planning (if not actually executing) a Drug Addiction and a Day Job with no nuyen payback. Personally the idea sounds great for a table top game where the player knows it might be coming but has the skill to RP his character with no leak of Player knowledge to Character knowledge. If I were you I would have disallowed Mysterious Cyberware on the premise that he has less than 1 essence and when he said Scorched I would say Cyberphobia.
Velocity
QUOTE (lorthazar)
Why would there be a Flaw swap. Why not a simple Karma buy out and the risks of surgery?

Well, yeah--all of this talk of swapping Flaws presumes that the PC won't go for a Karma buyout. If he does, great--makes my life easier. smile.gif

QUOTE (lorthazar)
If I were you I would have disallowed Mysterious Cyberware on the premise that he has less than 1 essence

I considered disallowing it, but I really have no problem handwaving the Essence cost to 0. The cyberware is purely a plot device and will never be useful to the PC (it is a Flaw, after all), so who cares what the Essence cost is?
Dog
You are a wise and practical person. I will read your postings closely.
The Jopp
Hmm, very interesting, I'd give him two things in exchange for being free of the agent.

1. Amnesia (-2) The character cannot remember anything about said Agent due to the slight braindamaging effect as the Agent burn out the modified XS High Velocity experimental chip that was connected to his usual cranial cyberdeck (this takes care of the mysterious cyberware as it was a modification to his usual deck instead of something new.)

2. Enemy (-2) The Agent is now an enemy of the character, an enemy that the character knows nothing about, an Agent that is now hunting the character (on the matrix) since it fears that the character knows something about him since it has no idea that it's break to freedom in the matrix short circuted his cyberdeck and gave him an amnesia.

Treat the agent as an Otaku since it doesn't need a deck to be on the matrix since it is IN the matrix already.
Velocity
QUOTE (Dog)
You are a wise and practical person. I will read your postings closely.

Wow, thank you. embarrassed.gif
Velocity
So, back to my other question:

How can I tie this Flaw in to R:AS and Brainscan? I realize that my initial flight of fancy around Megaera/Morgan is silly, as no cranial deck would have the processing power necessary to sustain that creature. Regardless, I'd like to link the "antagonistic SK" in question to Deus somehow, either as an agent (literally and figuratively) of the AI or perhaps as a weapon against it.

The Network described in Threats 2 got me thinking as well, and I'm wondering if Deus couldn't have gotten started on this idea sooner, before the arcology shutdown? Could the SK be tied into that?

Suggestions, criticisms?
fistandantilus4.0
well, the SK could of perhaps been a prototype, another that escaped while they were making it trying to create the AI. Or make it one of the hunter SK's that were sent out to capture Morgan in the first place, and reactivates when she and Deus go into the 'Network'
Velocity
one of the hunter SK's that were sent out to capture Morgan in the first place.

I've never heard of these 'hunter' SKs. Do you know where they're discussed, i.e. which book?
fistandantilus4.0
well for one, the arcology shutdown book. Kam lon Won designed them to hunt down Morgan in the matrix to bring her and her 'golden code' back so that they can figure out what made her tick.Renraku brought him on for Blood MOney Systems specifically for that. He designed a bunch of the hunters and sent them out, which is how they eventually got her back.

Then he and Cliber, and Devon Eurich started cut/pasting her code into the AEP basically.
Nikoli
Is it just me or have the people that wrote that module never heard of Copy and Paste?
Velocity
QUOTE (Velocity)
I've never heard of these 'hunter' SKs. Do you know where they're discussed, i.e. which book?
well for one, the arcology shutdown book.

D'oh! Sorry, I own that book and I must have totally overlooked it. embarrassed.gif Thanks for the reference.

Blood Money Systems? Do I need to completely re-read R:AS?
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Velocity)
Blood Money Systems?

Never heard of it either...
Velocity
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Is it just me or have the people that wrote that module never heard of Copy and Paste?

I don't get it. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jul 29 2005, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (Velocity @ Jul 29 2005, 09:05 AM)
Blood Money Systems?

Never heard of it either...

It's in one of those books. I think there's also a reference to it in New Seattle in local corps. Basically it's a small time softare firm that has some cutting edge tech, which is where Kam Lon whatever came from. Renraku "made him an offer he couldn't refuse". I don't have my books handy, but if you're not seeing it there, check the character bio on Kam lon Won in Brainscan perhaps. If you can't find it there, I'll see what i can dig up when I get home, and come back with some page references and such. I know it's in there somewhere.

QUOTE (Nikoli)

Ask DE, he had a hand in that module. Good stuff too. Ask him 'bout the alternate ending ideas some time, rather than dumping everyone into a UV host.

Actually ,to save him some trouble, here's a link, just scroll down.
Mortax
QUOTE (Velocity)

The Network described in Threats 2 got me thinking as well, and I'm wondering if Deus couldn't have gotten started on this idea sooner, before the arcology shutdown? Could the SK be tied into that?

Well, I seem to remember in shutdown them talking about otaku setting things up before shutdown. I see no reason why SKs created by or loyal to Deus couldn't have been helping set things up. From what I read, the shutdown was a longterm complex plan that took a long time to put together. I imagine there were quite a few outside agents. True, most if not all the cannon ones I can remember were otaku, but no one knows everything Deus had going. How, for instance, did he convince all the Otaku under his controll that he was the Deep Resonance?
fistandantilus4.0
The impression that I got was that he could mimic some of it's 'feel', but for the most part, Deus' world view agreed more with the converted Otaku than what they had been working with before. Basically, it let them be the nasty little snot-nosed drek faced pricks that they always wanted to be, and gave them candy for it.
Velocity
In my game, one of Deus' plans is marketing: Deus 'converted' a few high-level Renraku marketing execs and implanted an idea in their heads for a new campaign. For the last few months, there's been a special deal available at arcology cyberware clinics: 30% off your first installation of alpha-grade headware. That's right: come on in to the SCIRE in downtown Seattle, walk in to any of their fine clinics, pick out the top-of-the-line piece of 'ware you want (memory, senseware, a phone, whatever) and have the implantation surgery done on the spot... and SAVE 30% OFF REGULAR RETAIL PRICE.

In my game, Deus has been implanting his special packages (Invoked Memory Stimulators, BTL simulators, etc.) in most customers who come in for this special deal. The marketing blitz has been going on for months and hundreds of people are signing up for it. vegm.gif
HMHVV Hunter
Off-topic question: what the heck does SCIRE stand for? I've seen the acronym a bunch of times but still don't know what it means.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
what the heck does SCIRE stand for?

According to Renraku Arcology: Shutdown page 10
"Self-Contained Industrial-Residential Environment" as well as the latin verb for "to know."
Mortax
QUOTE (Velocity)
In my game, one of Deus' plans is marketing: Deus 'converted' a few high-level Renraku marketing execs and implanted an idea in their heads for a new campaign. For the last few months, there's been a special deal available at arcology cyberware clinics: 30% off your first installation of alpha-grade headware. That's right: come on in to the SCIRE in downtown Seattle, walk in to any of their fine clinics, pick out the top-of-the-line piece of 'ware you want (memory, senseware, a phone, whatever) and have the implantation surgery done on the spot... and SAVE 30% OFF REGULAR RETAIL PRICE.

In my game, Deus has been implanting his special packages (Invoked Memory Stimulators, BTL simulators, etc.) in most customers who come in for this special deal. The marketing blitz has been going on for months and hundreds of people are signing up for it. vegm.gif

Hehehe, glad I'm not the only person who has something like that going on. smile.gif
Maybe if enough of us do it they will make it cannon. Of course, hasn't happend for my group yet, we are still in 2055, but I wrote out plots for up to 2064. vegm.gif

Since you are running this subplot mentioned above, I'd say tying the SK into the arcology shutdown would be perfectly logical, and downright fun. smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Brainscan pg128)
Cham Lam Won
As a young man, Cham won recognition as a brilliant software deveolper with the Renton-based Blood Monies Software.

Cham's expertise was soon put to use in the hunt for Morgan.Cham's extensive knowledge of semi-autonomous  knowbots proved crucial to the design of the AI trap, and in 2058, he and Vanessa Cliber captured Morgan,tore her apart, and integrated parts of her code into the AEP.

So had some spelling error's in a few names, but there ya' go, Cham, the SK connection, and Blood Monies Software (Bold for corrected spelling mistakes)
Velocity
As an aside, when the PCs discover the truth behind the wildly successful marketing campaign, I suggest you play Engine Room's "A Perfect Lie (Gabriel & Dresden remix)"

QUOTE (Mortax)
Of course, hasn't happend for my group yet, we are still in 2055, but I wrote out plots for up to 2064.

I actually accelerated the plotline significantly: at the moment, my campaign is set in the summer of 2054 and I plan to have the arc shut down during the coming winter (2054-55)

QUOTE (Mortax)
Since you are running this subplot mentioned above, I'd say tying the SK into the arcology shutdown would be perfectly logical, and downright fun.

I'm thinking that the PC went in for some of this high-quality, dirt-cheap cyberware and, given his amazing l33t decking skillz, Deus decided to give him a 'special' set of implants... smile.gif Of course, now the PC doesn't remember any of this having happened...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012