Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM needs help resolving a plot idea...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Velocity
I'm in the process of writing up a scenario for my PCs and I can't seem to generate a satisfying ending. I'd really appreciate any help you guys could offer.

Nova, Sunday_Gamer et al... do yourselves a favour and stop reading now. You'll just blow it for yourselves.

Okay, so the basic idea is this: near the conclusion of their last run, the PCs were taken prisoner. I hadn't planned for it to happen, but it did. Without going into the nitty-gritty, they're prisoners of a group who are conducting experiments with metahuman matrix immersion. Put simply, the PCs have been jacked into a UV host without their knowledge and are being run through a series of simulations. These simulations are designed to test metahuman responses to specific stimuli when said individual is unaware that they're jacked in.

When we next convene to game (next week), the characters will "wake up" in a cell. There'll be opportunities to escape and an "adventure" will ensue. What they don't know is that none of it is real: it's all taking place inside a UV host. Furthermore, this is nth time the group has run through the "escape" simulation: every other time they've failed to escape and been "killed." Cue the rewind, start the sim over without any of the test subjects being the wiser.

Now, I want the adventure we actually run next week to be the final simulation, the one where the characters finally (after x run-throughs) figure out that they're in a UV host and not "really" running through this prison facility. The final act of the adventure should feature the PCs realizing what's happening to them.

Specifically, I want the decker character to figure it out. The PC has been sidelined during the last few runs, so I really want him to shine here. My questions to you are these:

1. How can I leave clues to the true nature of the place they're in? The clues have to be obvious enough that a player will eventually figure it out but subtle enough to justify it having taken the PC ten or fifty or a hundred runs to figure it out.

2. How can I avoid a cheesy re-hash of Neo's awakening at the end of The Matrix? "There is no spoon..." is most emphatically not the feel I'm going for here. smile.gif

One idea I'm toying with is that the decker had already started to figure it out on previous runs, but always clued in a fraction of a second too late to do anything about it. However, he managed to leave a minor clue for himself in the simulation itself by quickly (on-the-fly) programming an adjustment to the system's architecture. An adjustment so subtle that it was missed by the system's "administrator" but sufficiently permanent to survive the "reboot" that occurs between simulations.

The next time he ran through the sim, the decker saw the clue but again was too late to do anything about it. However, he built on the clue for his "next run." After a few clues left like this, the evidence has accrued to the point where he has a chance to see the truth in time to act on it.

(is any of this making sense?)

As a final bit of background data, the group is composed of three runners:

1. Nova, a street sam with a background as a Lone Star agent;
2. Kong, a shaman of Monkey and a Grade 3 Initiate who loves illusions;
3. Gage, a penetration decker who specializes in data sifting and is a competent back-up sam;

All the characters are quite competent (~150 Karma) and have forged good teamwork skills. They trust each other and have risked their lives to help their teammates in the past.

Gage is the PC who should figure out the truth. The player is an IT professional with an amateur interest in cryptography and puzzles. Gage's Matrix persona is named 'Hex' so I was toying with the idea of a clue written in hexadecimal.

Okay, kids--gimme whatcha got.
Slacker
This just sounds too much like the Matrix not to at least suggest a couple of things from there. One would be to have the "deja vu" effect, where something gets changed in the UV host and the characters see something repeat itselfs. Or at least that could be what clued Gage in on it in a previous attempt.

I'd have it be that Gage was able to create a glitch in the system. If you ever watched the Animatrix, you'll know what I mean. A spot within which the laws of physics or nature don't function properly or function erratically. One of the stories in the Animatrix had this happening to a particular abondoned building within the Matrix. There were spots where gravity stopped just short of the ground (if a bird tried to land on the ground it would be sit on thin air a couple inches above the surfact). Another was that an object broken against the ground would shatter and then reverse itself back into the original form. Rain coming out of a perfectly clear sky, strong wind coming down an empty hallway, etc.
hyzmarca
[ Spoiler ]
Velocity
QUOTE (Slacker)
This just sounds too much like the Matrix not to at least suggest a couple of things from there.

I know, and I'm a little worried about that. Honestly (I can take criticism), is this idea cheesy, stupid or predictable?
SFEley
QUOTE (Velocity)
[keeping spoiler space]

1. How can I leave clues to the true nature of the place they're in?  The clues have to be obvious enough that a player will eventually figure it out but subtle enough to justify it having taken the PC ten or fifty or a hundred runs to figure it out.

Two thoughts:

1.) Have you seen Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence? If not, do. It's got a great solution to exactly this problem. And one that might fit a Shadowrun game, too, depending on the characters' interests. >8->

2.) Does the decker have any ability to manipulate the environment through code? If so, then he could do subtle things with object patterns. Perhaps the bars on the cell door are spaced variably, and as he nudges them a little each time they look more and more like a bar code. Perhaps there'll be bricks in the tunnel or marks on the wall displaying an ascending series of prime numbers, only some primes will be missing or some numbers will not be prime, and those numbers will map back to letters. Or maybe the lightbulbs are working or blown out in a binary pattern.

If you roll (or decide) that the decker character notices the existence of a pattern, you can decide how hard you want to make it for the player to figure out, based on what you know of the player. Heck, just the fact that there is a pattern might be enough to tip them off. If not, you can nudge them a little by having it appear in more and more places. (Representing the decker's "prior" attempts.)

Slacker
Oh I wasn't saying the idea is a bad one. I rather like it. I just couldn't help myself from suggesting Matrix related ideas.
Velocity
QUOTE (Slacker)
I'd have it be that Gage was able to create a glitch in the system.

That's a good start...

How could I justify the glitch surviving the reboot between simulations? And wouldn't the technicians who're maintaining the system catch the error and correct it?
Slacker
QUOTE (SFEley)
Two thoughts:

1.) Have you seen Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence? If not, do. It's got a great solution to exactly this problem. And one that might fit a Shadowrun game, too, depending on the characters' interests. >8->

2.) Does the decker have any ability to manipulate the environment through code? If so, then he could do subtle things with object patterns. Perhaps the bars on the cell door are spaced variably, and as he nudges them a little each time they look more and more like a bar code. Perhaps there'll be bricks in the tunnel or marks on the wall displaying an ascending series of prime numbers, only some primes will be missing or some numbers will not be prime, and those numbers will map back to letters. Or maybe the lightbulbs are working or blown out in a binary pattern.

If you roll (or decide) that the decker character notices the existence of a pattern, you can decide how hard you want to make it for the player to figure out, based on what you know of the player. Heck, just the fact that there is a pattern might be enough to tip them off. If not, you can nudge them a little by having it appear in more and more places. (Representing the decker's "prior" attempts.)

Oh yeah, I had forgotten that scene in GitS 2. That is exactly like his scenario.
Velocity
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
[ Spoiler ]

Thanks for using "spoiler" tags. smile.gif

The serial number idea is really interesting, especially if I encode it a step further. I'm really interested in working in a hexadecimal reference somewhere, maybe that'd be a place to do it. Hmm...
Herald of Verjigorm
Well, if Kong were to try anything magical, most UV hosts would just send an error message back.

If it's an intelligently made UV host, it will try to mimic a high background count by just tazing the mage every time he tries to use mana while in the system. If it's an amazingly made UV host, it will have a magic subroutine that is fairly convincing and may even keep the mage tricked until he tries something it doesn't support and provides an error response.

As for the clues, I can't suggest anything intelligently without knowing your players and PCs in a much better sense than can easily be conveyed.
Velocity
QUOTE (SFEley)
1.) Have you seen Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence?

Not yet, but I will now. smile.gif

QUOTE (SFEley)
2.) Does the decker have any ability to manipulate the environment through code?

These are some great ideas! I think that Gage would have an ability to manipulate environment, he just doesn't know he can--yet. In previous iterations of the simulation, he should have figured out this ability and exploited it for a nanosecond.

I especially like the prime number ideas and the mapping back to numbers. I'm an idiot with cryptography, but I could probably figure something out...

QUOTE (Slacker)
Oh I wasn't saying the idea is a bad one. I rather like it. I just couldn't help myself from suggesting Matrix related ideas.

I wasn't offended or anything, but I am worried about resorting to clichés here. I realize that the Matrix comparisons are inevitable, but I'd like to try and do something a little different if possible.
kobura
I'm thinkng of a MMORPG video game. Every once in a while the system "hiccups". For instance you're running with your character and you end up somewhere else, like through a wall or partially through a wall. Or someone lags and the enemy is 20 feet away, then they are ten feet away. Have everybody notice these things (through perception tests of course), which could be interpreted as a drug induced hallucination. Maybe because the decker has headware his "connection" might be faster than the rest of the team's so he can see things like this occurring more frequently.

Maybe a bad guy could pixelate for a second? The sky could do something strange?
mmu1
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Aug 22 2005, 04:33 PM)
Well, if Kong were to try anything magical, most UV hosts would just send an error message back. 

If it's an intelligently made UV host, it will try to mimic a high background count by just tazing the mage every time he tries to use mana while in the system.  If it's an amazingly made UV host, it will have a magic subroutine that is fairly convincing and may even keep the mage tricked until he tries something it doesn't support and provides an error response.

As for the clues, I can't suggest anything intelligently without knowing your players and PCs in a much better sense than can easily be conveyed.

How could a host ever mimic magic? It'd need the ability to read the character's mind for that, becasue, AFAIK, there is no "magical" lobe of the brain it could monitor for neural activity... And if it can read the character's mind, then how can you justify leaving clues behing that the UV host somehow won't notice?

I think your best bet - one that doesn't stretch credibility too much - is to introduce a third party with their own agenda that is trying to sabotage the experiment or subvert it for its own use, which leads the characters to discover discrepancies, or leaves openings that they can exploit. Best make it unsympathetic to the PCs, though, to cut down on the echoes of Morpheus contacting Neo inside the Matrix...

Also, you might want to consider - rather than wiping the characters' minds and having complete resets - having them remember old "experiments" performed on them by the prison doctors, unsuccessful escape attempts, and the resulting trips to the "infirmary". Limited resets, in effect (the simulation is evolving organically as the system learns more from the subjects), that lead to strange changes in the environment that will alert the players that something is up.

Edit: Just had a neat idea for one effect (glitch in the system) that ought to really mess with people's heads... Have one of the player's Matrix persona be a mirror reflection of his real-world self. He can't tell the difference - as far as he's concerned, he still has the same dominant hand, and the world basically looks normal to him aside from an undefinable feeling of wrongness he just can't shake (since the prison cells are uniform and symmetrical enough he can't use them as a good reference) - but as far as everyone else is concerned (if they notice) he's now suddenly left-handed (if he was right-handed to begin with), his heart is now located slightly on the right, etc., and he reacts the wrong way when someone tells him to "turn" right or "open the right locker". Though I guess that could be too much...
Velocity
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)

If it's an intelligently made UV host, it will try to mimic a high background count by just tazing the mage every time he tries to use mana while in the system.  If it's an amazingly made UV host, it will have a magic subroutine that is fairly convincing and may even keep the mage tricked until he tries something it doesn't support and provides an error response.

Regarding Kong, I was thinking that the host would be able to simulate whatever magical effect he was going for based off what the shaman expected to happen. Is that unreasonable?

As for the PCs, here's a little more information. Hope it helps:

1. Nova is a pretty law-and-order guy, despite his chosen profession. He was in Lone Star's anti-gang unit before being dismissed a few years prior to the start of the campaign. He's the team's muscle, tactical brain and de facto leader. He runs the shadows because he can't imagine taking a job that doesn't involve getting shot at.

2. Kong is a highly moral person who'll go out of his way to minimize fatalities during a run. He favours stun and illusion magics, preferring to confuse, distract and incapacitate rather than harm. He runs because it's a source of easy nuyen which he uses for a variety of philanthropic causes.

3. Gage is the most mercenary of the three and he runs the shadows because he has expensive tastes: no soy, just real steak, lobster and beluga caviar. No flophouse or coffin hotel for him, he lives the High Life(style) and blows his nuyen on trips to Malta, St. Tropez and the glacial pleasuredomes of Reykjavik. He's a brilliant data trawler, great at sifting through terapulses of junk data for the one useful nugget. He's also handy with his smartlinked Ingram and has a custom-built 'deck in his cyberlimb.
mmu1
QUOTE (Velocity)
Regarding Kong, I was thinking that the host would be able to simulate whatever magical effect he was going for based off what the shaman expected to happen. Is that unreasonable?

I think it's stretching things... See my post above.
Velocity
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
If it's an intelligently made UV host, it will try to mimic a high background count by just tazing the mage every time he tries to use mana while in the system. If it's an amazingly made UV host, it will have a magic subroutine that is fairly convincing and may even keep the mage tricked until he tries something it doesn't support and provides an error response.

Not to nitpick, but aren't all UV hosts "amazingly made"? Isn't a UV host top-of-the-line by definition?

QUOTE (mmu1)
Also, you might want to consider - rather than wiping the characters' minds and having complete resets - having them remember old "experiments" performed on them by the prison doctors, unsuccessful escape attempts, and the resulting trips to the "infirmary". Limited resets, in effect (the simulation is evolving organically as the system learns more from the subjects), that lead to strange changes in the environment that will alert the players that something is up.

It would also eliminate the problem of explaining why Gage's changes remain between simulations.
nezumi
Oooh... I love hyzmarca's idea. Full points on subtle but informative there.

You could do something Star Trek, "it was caught in my positronic buffer" sort of thing. Either have something in the decker's deck, or something in the system (one time he was tricky enough both to figure out the secret and to actually break out of the host, or otherwise get to a segment that isn't rewritten every time, and left a message for him. Something very quick, since he was in a rush, like "check the guns").

Personally, the whole matrix stuff IS over done. But that doesn't keep you from doing other tricky things like ahve been suggested. Once the decker knows whats going on, he can introduce clipping problems, or really frag things up and you end up with scenes like something from the Cell. Of course, if he's not careful, you get a full crash and deadly dumpshock, but I think it would be a fun part 2 to be in a world where physics randomly stop applying and you just need to get out before they stop applying on YOU.
Velocity
QUOTE (mmu1)
How could a host ever mimic magic? It'd need the ability to read the character's mind for that, becasue, AFAIK, there is no "magical" lobe of the brain it could monitor for neural activity... And if it can read the character's mind, then how can you justify leaving clues behing that the UV host somehow won't notice?

Curse you and your damned Vulcan logic! smile.gif I hadn't actually thought of that. Shit. Okay, back to square one with the shaman... grr.
pragma
The decker should have tattooed a symmetric key (description here) on himself. Because the monitors are concerned with maintaining the prison more so than the prisoners, they could have missed this (especially if he puts it in a subtle place).

Couple this with patterns written on the wall or lights and encrypted using the key he has on him. Once he notices both parts it will be a simple matter for him to use his own math SPU or whatever else he's got to compute the message.

I also really love the gun idea. That and similar minor glitches could maintain the air of suspense quite nicely and keep the characters guessing.
mmu1
QUOTE (Velocity @ Aug 22 2005, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Aug 22 2005, 04:49 PM)

Curse you and your damned Vulcan logic! smile.gif I hadn't actually thought of that. Shit. Okay, back to square one with the shaman... grr.

I don't recall... Are there any drugs that suppress magical ability? Hell, there don't really have to be - the captors just need to convince your shaman that one exists and they pumped him full of it.
Slacker
QUOTE (Velocity)
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Aug 22 2005, 04:49 PM)

Well, i'd say that the UV Host is designed to look for thoughts/impulses regarding the use of magic. It's obviously designed to take the thoughts/impulses regarding normal actions of the characters. Is it really that big a stretch to have it also look for thoughts/impulses on the use of magic?
Since the the mental thoughts regarding what exactly the characters may be in/hooked up to have no visible effect in the world, the UV host has no reason to pay attention to them. It's designed to mimic their actions, not analyze their thought processes.
Deschain
What about throwing the shaman into a sim before-hand where he thinks he's been told by Monkey that he(the shaman) is outside the bounds of Monkey's protection?

If the people behind this don't know what sort of shaman Kong is, they could make him seem extremely vague until Kong mentions that he's talking to Monkey, "Monkey why can't you protect me?"
EDIT*: At this point the guys behind the scenes know who the totem is and can have the host respond accordingly.

This way, Kong has reasoning as to why the magic won't work.

Or else go with HoV's background count idea.

*I'm an idiot and posted without adding that sentence in to explain a wee bit more.
Paul
Sure there are likely drugs that do that, but does he want to leave his players an out or kill them?

Personally I think you're being to rough on the Matrix since that's basically what you're running. Use the GitS reference along with some matrix cinematography and you have a game.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Velocity @ Aug 22 2005, 04:52 PM)
Regarding Kong, I was thinking that the host would be able to simulate whatever magical effect he was going for based off what the shaman expected to happen.  Is that unreasonable?

I think it's stretching things... See my post above.

I suspect that the UV host's programer would jurry ring a convincing magic simulation based on the magic engine of Karl Kombat Mage: The video game. They could use a simulated background count to help cover up the deficiencies in the programing.
Paul
But highly intricate or not, how does it know which spell he is casting?
Herald of Verjigorm
IIRC, there was one case in the fiction of a mage in a top of the line UV host that had the best magic emulation possible at that time. He got dumped or something when he tried to astrally percieve. (someone with memory of the fiction would be helpful)

Aside from the "unknown input, response with taze" or other way of trying to mimic a dangerously high background count, it would take an amazing UV host (as in, amazing for UV hosts, not just reduntantly stating that UV hosts are amazing) to have a passably convincing magic emulation.

My advice is to go with the black IC waiting in the mage's datajack that just smacks him every time he tries to do something outside the (vast) parameters of the simulation. If the decker's smart, he'll notice that the effects the mage gets at every spell attempt look more like black IC attacks than what the mage normally faces from bad drain. I still can't advise you on how to give subtle hints (although I like the texture and model re-use one).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Paul @ Aug 22 2005, 05:27 PM)
But highly intricate or not, how does it know which spell he is casting?

Karl Kombat Mage: The game would probably use an enforced gesture or incantation gease. A UV host could get by with some limited mind reading. But remember, the host isn't an AI. It may be able to respond in a predetermined way to the thought " I am casting a manabolt" but it probably wouldn't be able to make sense out of much else.

Astral perception and projection are more difficult. However, it would be possible to simulate them by taking sensory data from the memories of mages instead of just recording it directly as it happens. Rememberd sensations would be much less accurate than directly recorded simsense, but with magic it is the best one can do. The host could simulate a second plane of existance fairly easily. The only problem isrendering that plane of existance accuratly.
Shockwave_IIc
I'm suprised no one mentioned it, but is there not an adventure in super tuesday (Danklezhans)that addressed things like these??

I remember one part being that the system, actually read the "optermisium" of the character. If they thought they would succed then they were more likely too, gain if they thought they were doomed....

Unfortunatly though i own Super Tuesday, it's not in my possession.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ Aug 22 2005, 07:46 PM)
I'm suprised no one mentioned it, but is there not an adventure in super tuesday (Danklezhans)that addressed things like these??

I remember one part being that the system, actually read the "optermisium" of the character. If they thought they would succed then they were more likely too, gain if they thought they were doomed....

Unfortunatly though i own Super Tuesday, it's not in my possession.

I was so busy trying to find a way to get a Mantis in the White House that I completely missed that section.

QUOTE ( Super Tuesday p.100)
If the runner things about shooting someone, casting a spell, or dodging a hail of bullets, his or her virtual self takes that action

The only things that Dunkie's UV system can't simulate are death and metaplaner travel. It also adds or subtracts one or two dice depending on the runner's expectations.
Velocity
QUOTE (Paul)
Personally I think you're being to rough on the Matrix since that's basically what you're running. Use the GitS reference along with some matrix cinematography and you have a game.

I'm not being rough on the Matrix. Let me be clear: I'm not criticizing the movie, I'm just saying that I don't want to duplicate it.
Velocity
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Astral perception and projection are more difficult. However, it would be possible to simulate them by taking sensory data from the memories of mages instead of just recording it directly as it happens. Rememberd sensations would be much less accurate than directly recorded simsense, but with magic it is the best one can do.

This is a pretty good solution, I think. I could allow Kong opportunities to notice that there's "something familiar" about the astral plane in the area and suggest--if his rolls are good--that it reminds him of somewhere he's been.
Velocity
Well, hell: the scenario "Dry Run" in Super Tuesday operates under an identical premise to the run I'm constructing here. Should make for some instructive reading...
toturi
Things that can go wrong in a UV simulation for magic:

1) He tries to project.
2) He tries to cast a spell.
3) He tries to Cleanse/Filter the Background Count.
4) He tries to initiate.

The sticky thing is that if you can somehow nullify the shaman's abilities, I do not see how the UV system cannot counter anything the decker can come up with.
Kesh
Personally? I'd leave little clues for each of the players, something their specialty would notice.

The mage notices that the astral signatures don't quite look right, or that magic feels wrong when he tries to cast it.

The street sam notes that all the guard they encounter are using the exact same tactics. There's no variety, little flow with the actions of the characters... the guards just repeatedly use the same motion in hand to hand, or always patrol in a specific way, etc.

Finally, the decker has problems when accessing computer systems or just with the nature of the place itself. He's become attuned to full-immersion, so he starts to notice the "feel" of the VR, sees "rendering errors" or happens to see a bit of the code running on the computer terminals he's trying to access.
Kanada Ten
Programmers and designers often plant signatures inside their work. It's possible that the decker could recognize something like this, which could be as simple as noting that the logo on the guard's uniforms is inverted or a specific type of lamp that is found in Doom 23 and not anywhere else in the universe to a complex sequence of actions to lights flickering in binary sequence.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 22 2005, 08:58 PM)

1) He tries to project.
4) He tries to initiate.

The sticky thing is that if you can somehow nullify the shaman's abilities, I do not see how the UV system cannot counter anything the decker can come up with.

Assuming that the host is based on VisionQuest's VR engine 1, 2, and 3 won't be problems. The VR system from Dry Run fully supports all forms of interaction with the Astral Plane. 4 wouldn't be a problem either, except that the magic rating increase won't be real. The UV host would be able to adjust the simulation parameters but it wouldn't carry over to the meat body.

If he attempts to go on an Astral Quest, however, everything may be fraged. The metaplanes are highly subjective. VisionQuest's VR engine would simple dump anyone who tried to project to the metaplanes.

The thing about Dry Run is that the runners can't get out unless the system lets them out. The VR engine is so emersive that they are completely cut off from their meat and astral bodies. For all they know, their meat may not even exist any more.
Velocity
QUOTE (Kesh)
Personally? I'd leave little clues for each of the players, something their specialty would notice.

Except that I want the decker to solve the puzzle, as this PC has been sidelined for the last several runs.
Sabosect
How about NPCs? The Decker could have altered their voices to have a dreamy, unreal quality to them. If the alteration is minor enough, it won't be noticed by those running the experiments but the PCs would certainly notice. Maybe also include minor flaws in how the NPCs act.
hyzmarca
[ Spoiler ]
ShadowDragon8685
Why not sprinkle some Matrix themes in, on purpose.

Ask the Decker if his character, being a connousiour, has ever watched or ran the simsense remake of The Matrix.

If so, his character might deliberately start altering the sim to pitch those sorts of clues... Dreams within dreams, like when Morpheous contacted Neo the first time...

Or maybe alter the guard's voies to sound like Keanu Reeves.

I like the guns and everything with serial numbers having identical numbers. Another thing he could do, is overwrite many wall textures with copies of a previous wall texture. Nothing will spoil the immersion of a video game like every single brick wall having the same pattern of cracks and crumbled grout.

Maybe the jail cell doors all have a bar bent slightly - but they all have the same bar bent, in the same place.

Or, since you've snubbed him the previous few times, why not let him have altered the code of the simulation to the point where, when it comes down to the wire, he can take on Neo-like qualities. Like, make all dice he expends on Dodge tests refresh instantly, let him use unlimited Karma Pool Dice, let him use his best of computers or INT stat as a base skill for everything, with the most beneficial possible reading of any rules.
Ryu
As all communication in the UV-host is monitored, planning a means of escape from same will not realistically be possible. So just say the decker left a hint for himself, do it in a way that the player will find cool (enough were mentioned here), and go on. He will have to leave/crash the host in one quick strike, by doing whatever. Then let him do something helpful on the escape-from-evil-laboratory part.

Run1: Virtual Prison Escape, all problems with magic and else explained away by the gm. Give some hints, but decide on a point where they will know. If they figure it out, say "Suddenly the sim reboots, and you do everything as before. None of the hints are there. Until "Gage" finds the following..". Award some Karma.

Run2: Laboratory Escape. Runners are unarmed, disoriented and need help. All they have to get help is the laboratory mainframe (decking from that should be any deckers dream).
Velocity
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 22 2005, 08:58 PM)

1) He tries to project.
4) He tries to initiate.

Assuming that the host is based on VisionQuest's VR engine 1, 2, and 3 won't be problems. The VR system from Dry Run fully supports all forms of interaction with the Astral Plane. 4 wouldn't be a problem either, except that the magic rating increase won't be real. The UV host would be able to adjust the simulation parameters but it would carry over to the meat body.

If he attempts to go on an Astral Quest, however, everything may be fraged. The metaplanes are highly subjective. VisionQuest's VR engine would simple dump anyone who tried to project to the metaplanes.

Well, there's no chance that Kong will be in the system long enough for initiation to be a problem, so I'm not too worried about that.

Regarding the other issues, I'm leaning towards the solution proposed in "Dry Run": the system is smart enough to simulate magical effects that approximate what the caster was going for. Combined with BTL systems and chemically-induced suggestibility, he'd have a hard (but not impossible) time figuring out the truth.
Tal
Just a thought, but does the decker maybe have headware memory? If he were able to access it momentarily on a previous attempt, it might be possible to write some on-the-fly code, throw it in there, and provide a clue that way. Seems a little more viable than the decker managing to alter code of a UV host, and expecting the alteration to still be in the system.

I keep thinking of that brief 'ripple' effect in the Animatrix episode Glitch, where the code is briefly visible out of the corner of her eye. It only lasts a moment, but something like that would probably give the decker ne hell of a big hint where he is.
Velocity
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
[ Spoiler ]

This is a great idea, hyz--thanks. It actually suits character really well, as he chose the Matrix handle "Hex" as a nod to what would be an ancient programming reference.

My only question is: how do I suggest that he turn these numbers into ASCII? I'm thinking of this series (the first is hex, the second is ASCII):

55 - U
56 - V
68 - h
6f - o
73 - s
74 - t

Pretty clear, huh? smile.gif
Velocity
QUOTE (tal)
I keep thinking of that brief 'ripple' effect in the Animatrix episode Glitch, where the code is briefly visible out of the corner of her eye. It only lasts a moment, but something like that would probably give the decker ne hell of a big hint where he is.

Maybe too big of a hint? I'd like the player to work for it a bit.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Velocity)
how do I suggest that he turn these numbers into ASCII?

Just have the same string of numbers showing up way too often (with different spacing as the sitiation calls for).
If you blend it with the re-using textures suggestion, maybe all security guard badges could be "555668-6f7374" while a guy's SIN (salvaged off a credstick) is apparently "555-668-6f7-374" and maybe the pistol serial number is "555-6" while the boxes of ammo are marked with "686-f7374."
Also, if the whole event was taking place on floors 5-7 in the virtual prison, some could be room numbers.

Unfortunately, unless your PCs regularly demand a number from you whenever you mention a serial number, SIN, or badge number, the above three will give the scene away the first time you mention it.
Velocity
Great suggestions from everyone, I've gotten a lot of really good material here.

Just to give a little more background: the UV host is being 'maintained' by a small group of otaku, who are (until now) unknown in my campaign: this will be their first appearance.

Once the PCs clue into the nature of their surroundings, how easy (or hard) is it for them to 'jack out' and escape the host?
hyzmarca
Start with keypad based maglocks and have that be the code for all of them. Then have the numbers show up again in some place when the character observes in detail or just makes a regular perception test.

It should be hard for them to jack out. Actually, they shouldn't be able to jack out at all. They should be completely cut off from the real world so that teh system itself would have to let them out.This means that the decker would have to hack the system or force it to shut down somehow.

They could break the system by pushing it to the limits of its parameters. Kong could project to the metaplanes, for example. (assuming he is an initiate). Most likely, the decker will have make some difficult system tests without the benefit of a deck and then go up against an otaku in matrix combat (again without a deck) to pull the plug.
wagnern
The reality of the experence could be due to the simulation using the expectations of the 'user'. This could be a clue in that he is not suprised in any way during the run.

Or lets say after a simulation ends, they decide to question the 'users'. Why not, they are going to wipe them anyway, they could get some more data. Perhaps during a past simulation the Decker is able to drop himself a clue.

There was a Star Trek Next gen episode in which the ship was traped in a loop in which they were killed at the end each time. Data had realised that to survive they needed to follow Rikers idea, not his, so he released a brief signal (something that somehow permiated time). This signal was recieved by his brain supconcously giving him the number 3 (Riker's rang insigna) and clued him into the solution.

Perhaps a repeating theam in the simulation. He was not able to do anything they would notice, but he was able to introduce something subtle into the code. The corp logo on the wall now incorperates a serpent biting it's own tail, Lined up just right, the discolerations on the bars and the wall make a recycling icon. . .
Nikoli
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012