Full Version: Turn to Goo question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
maeel
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (maeel @ Aug 25 2005, 09:45 AM)
i get your point....  sarcastic.gif

Maybe I don't get your point.

Petrify would allow the target to be picked up and moved easier than a puddle of goo, it would be easier to duct tape a petrified target than a goo'd target.

The spells look the same except for the effect.

It is like asking what is the benefit of Toxic Wave over Fireball over Ball Lightning. They work similarly and have the same drain codes, but the effects differ from spell to spell. One may be advantageous to use in a given situation.

keep cool man.....

The thing is, i only use petrify to liberate cyberware....

if i wanna have somebody unconscious, i use stunbolt, and if i wanna interrogate him afterwards, i either wake him up with stimpatches or i use mindprobe...

but i know where you gettin to...
booklord
You could actually use Turn To Goo to save someone's life as well.

Shadowrunner A works on disabling a bomb.

Shadowrunner B stands a safe distance away but has a clear visual on what's happening.

Shadowrunner A : Ahhh! I should have clipped the green wire!
Shadowrunner B : I cast Turn to Goo on Shadowrunner A and I'm using edge and maximum Force! ( for the real high barrier rating. )

BOOM!

After the fires die down Shadowrunner B stops sustaining the spell.

Shadowrunner A : I'm alive! It's a miracle! What the frag happened to all my clothes?!?
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (booklord)
You could actually use Turn To Goo to save someone's life as well.

Shadowrunner A works on disabling a bomb.

Shadowrunner B stands a safe distance away but has a clear visual on what's happening.

Shadowrunner A : Ahhh! I should have clipped the green wire!
Shadowrunner B : I cast Turn to Goo on Shadowrunner A and I'm using edge and maximum Force! ( for the real high barrier rating. )

BOOM!

After the fires die down Shadowrunner B stops sustaining the spell.

Shadowrunner A : I'm alive! It's a miracle! What the frag happened to all my clothes!

Ok, how does that work from an OOC perspetive?
booklord
Turn to goo gives the runner a barrier rating of Body + Net successes. ( plus goo probably isn't that flamable ). By going for maximum successes the magician hopes he can provide the runner with enough armor to survive the blast.

That's some tough goo!
maeel
well calcium carbonate is definitely not flamable, unlike glue, what you are supposedly turned to with TtG. Petrify gives the same barrier rating, so in this situation i'd rather recommend petrify instead of TtG..

Best shot in this scenario, in my opinion, would be to cast an physical barrier between target and bomb plus an armor spell around the target. i don't have required hits and modifiers for the spells, but i think this would be more helpful...

keep in mind that any damage suffered while being petrified has the normal effects on you ( question is, should it be applied immidiately or once the spell is dropped)

If the damage is applied, once the spell is dropped, one could cast a heal spell, before dropping petrifiy. ( this is however a GMs call)
booklord
This one gets a little weird, but it popped into my mind and my imagination just went with it

GM: The dragon's head reaches down, and it's jaws clamp down on Shadowrunner A. It lifts him into the air and begins eating hi, alive!

Shadowrunner B: Turn to Goo on shadowrunner A!

( rolls successfully )

Dragon: Erk! ( It can't dislodge goo from mouth and begins to suffocate. )

GM: The dragon thrashes around with Shadowrunner A's gooified body in its mouth. Eventually it falls to the floor. Convulses for a minute then lies still.

----- Much later -----

Shadowrunner B: He needs immediate attention!

Doctor: This is a hospital. WE treat people. That is goo.

Shadowrunner B drops spell and goo turns into shadowrunner A.

Shadowrunner A: Medic!
Eldritch
At that point is it Goo anymore?? smile.gif I don't think this spell is keeping in the Goo Spirit.
Nikoli
Turn target to goo, use bore-tyoe insertion device, implant grenade, drop spell. Interrogate...
booklord
At that point is it Goo anymore??  I don't think this spell is keeping in the Goo Spirit.

This is goo with an armored barrier rating! At this point the only thing separating the goofied being from calcification is the texture and appearance. ( and the limbs of the goo body may be more moveable. )
Eldritch
Cool! Jello Man.

Use an Animate type spell and scare the crap out of the kiddies! "Look out Johnny, or the Jello monster will get you!"

So I guess using a wet-dry vac is out of the question? Or flushing the victum down the toliet? biggrin.gif
Toshiaki
Mmmn...serve the victim up as flan?

Hey! There's an idea, you could add a little powdered sugar and serve dessert to your neighborhood ghoul pack.
TokenFemme
That's about the consistency...somewhere between ballistic jelly and soft tofu.

I'll never be able to feed my boyfriend flan again without thinking of this...lol.

Token's BF: "Kitten...why are you grinning like that?"
Token: "Oh no reason." <Proffers spoon.> "More, dear?"
tisoz
All this talk about the barrier rating of goo got me wondering what it means in SR4.
QUOTE (SR4.157)
Barriers have 2 ratings: an Armor and a Structure rating.

Armor Rating
Armor acts as normal Armor rating, and is used to resist damage.

Structure Rating
The Structure rating is the number of "damage boxes" required to destroy a section 1 meter square and about 10 cm thick (approximately the typical wall thickness for a residential or office building).

So the goo could still be quite viscuous, but hard to destroy.
Milo Simpkin
I wonder if it could be used for emergency escape from buildings. People leaping from third story windows, being gooified on the way down bounsplatting then having the spell dropped wink.gif

More fun than Levitate smile.gif
Toshiaki
Thanks for the clarification on that. I had a feeling that it something similar, but didn't want to risk confusing the rules without the book.

Bounsplatting! I love it. Newest Extreme Sport of the 2070's!!
tisoz
QUOTE (Milo Simpkin @ Aug 26 2005, 02:15 PM)
I wonder if it could be used for emergency escape from buildings. People leaping from third story windows, being gooified on the way down bounsplatting then having the spell dropped wink.gif

Or squeegy them back into a puddle and drop the spell. smile.gif
booklord
The target is not conscious while under the effects of this spell, and any damage suffered by the gooey form affects the target normally. The goo has a barrier Armor rating equal to Body + net hits ( see Barriers, p. 157 ).

Removing cyberware from a gooified person would inflict damage upon them. So would damaging the cyberware.

So either you've got to inflict damage on the goo to get to the cyberware which means the goo cannot be liquid.

---or----

After the cyberware is removed and the spell released the character wakes up in perrfect health ( or whatever health he was in before being gooed ) sans cyberware.

Since easy removal of the cyberware without harming the subject would make this a ridiculously powerful spell, I've got to go with option 1. The goo maintains the form and shape of the person it once was. Trying to harm, divide, or effect the goo or anything inside the goo requires that the people doing it overcome the armor barrier rating. ( The barrier structure rating would be the character's health boxes )
hyzmarca
My question is how soluable is the goo in water and in common household cleaners?

Nikoli
Hmm, maybe a Mythbuster's esque gooified person launching device is in order...
tisoz
QUOTE (booklord @ Aug 26 2005, 05:21 PM)
The target is not conscious while under the effects of this spell, and any damage suffered by the gooey form affects the target normally. The goo has a barrier Armor rating equal to Body + net hits ( see Barriers, p. 157 ).

Removing cyberware from a gooified person would inflict damage upon them. So would damaging the cyberware.

So either you've got to inflict damage on the goo to get to the cyberware which means the goo cannot be liquid.

---or----

After the cyberware is removed and the spell released the character wakes up in perrfect health ( or whatever health he was in before being gooed ) sans cyberware.

Since easy removal of the cyberware without harming the subject would make this a ridiculously powerful spell, I've got to go with option 1. The goo maintains the form and shape of the person it once was. Trying to harm, divide, or effect the goo or anything inside the goo requires that the people doing it overcome the armor barrier rating. ( The barrier structure rating would be the character's health boxes )

You forgot the part about the spell not affecting cyberware. It turns the target into a sticky, glue like substance. What is keeping the sticky, glue like substance from dripping away from the unaffected cyberware all by itself?

Elmers school glue is a sticky glue like substance, it doesn't hold its shape. Maple syrup is a sticky glue like substance, it doesn't hold its form. Why should goo?

I see the goo making a puddle on the floor and if nothing has caught the cyberware before (like the arms and back on an office chair, or a mesh/grate catwalk, or for planned recovery a screen or grate), it is going to be sticking up out of that puddle.
Sabosect
So, considering that, the earlier murder and torture techniques work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012