Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I can't believe this!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Sabosect
As everyone probably knows from how much I talk about it, I set a TN of 200 to make an AI for my group. Everyone's pretty happy with that number and it was nearly impossible to hit. Well, today, someone hit it. I won't mention names to protect the people associated with the idiot.

Basically, the whole thing was done in a special lab the group has. This lab originally started as an Excalibur and a Computer Design kit in the back of a van. It's since grown into a three-story facility, with the Excalibur modified so heavily it's pretty much now the size of the van that originally housed it. Yeah, we've worked on this sucker and pumped a lot of funds into it.

Well, the idiot today decided to work on a frame for a set of Black Ice he was going to make. Imagine our surprise when he manages to roll a 203 on the test. The entire group, caught up in the excitement of him breaking our record of 59, cheered him on as he rolled. However, once the roll was done and the excitement over, the GM and I both, at the same time, exchanged notes suggesting for a dice check tonight. Yeah, we were suspicious. 63s don't happen often enough for a 203 to be believable. We would have called it on the spot, but the rest of the group was too excited and we decided not to ruin their fun.

Anyway, the ruling was that his frame had spiralled out of control into an SK, and that we could spend the rest of the session dealing with it. The planned run was postponed. So, basically, the group got an easy night where all they did was interact with this SK, which was ruled to evolve into an AI by the end of the session due to human interaction and people treating it like a person. The session was a blast.

After the game is over, we called for a dice check. All dice rolled openly 20 times. Well, I'll give you one guess as to how he accomplished that roll. If you say "weighted die", you win. The player in question has been reduced to probationary membership of the group, his character killed by a "freak lightning storm," and until he regains trust he'll only be allowed to play characters and roll dice provided by the GMs. The players are also talking of a special revenge, and I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of metagaming involved.

Now, however, we're facing a choice. Do we allow the AI to stay, or nullify the entire session (including awarded karma)? With the group split on the issue (moron's vote doesn't count), it was decided to leave it up to you guys on the vote.
Kagetenshi
My advice: kick the player out immediately, then do whatever is better for your campaign in your opinion.

My suggestion for the AI is to not nullify the session, but have the effects have been incorrectly interpreted—it's not an AI, it's just an S-K with no spark.

~J
6thDragon
I've personally had and seen other players have dies rolls so lucky the GM has asked to see if they were weighted. But I've never actually seen them. That's a total breach of trust. I admit the matrix is one area of shadowrun I need to keep up with more. I'd probably keep it, but give it a personality and a lot of independence. Kinda like a free spirit.
Cain
I'm going to vote with Kage. Let it be a horribly advanced program, but not a true AI. If you want to do something special, and the character in question was a decker, say that he somehow tapped into a Resonance well and created a Daemon, which explains the extra independance the thing has.
bclements
An AI has got to have a:
-UV host
-SK (at least) level of programming
-Time (lots of it)
-Spark of some type

If he did cheat, throw him/her the fuck out. You don't need that.

EDIT: Read the entire post. Kage's suggestion is the best.
hyzmarca
I am going to disagree with everyone else on the AI situation. You ruled it to be an AI, it should be so. The player, of course, should be kicked out but it shouldn't damage the continuity of the game. I hate retcon.

With the AI you have a huge plot hook that will bite the players in the hoop sooner or later. It isn't their personal god on a leash, it has its own motives, its own desires, and it is much more powerful than they are.

Since it started out as Black IC, its core purpose is to kill flesh creatures that are stupid enough to stumble into its domain. It should pursue that purpose with great zeal until it has accumulated sufficient experience and knowledge to find a new purpose for itself.

The players are its only conduit into the flesh world at the moment. It can exterminate meat creatures more efficiently by using them to do much of its dirty work. In other words, it is a genocidal maniac and the players are its bitches. The second they cease to be happy with the role of bitches to this AI, all law enforcement databases in the world will list them as convicted mass murders who escaped death row and should be killed on sight.

Of course, the players shouldn't be completely screwed. They should be rewarded for serving their electronic god and given the opportunity to break free of it without horrible consequences at some point. They should also have the opportunity to start a violent death cult in its name, similar to the Necromongers from The Chronicles of Riddick.
tisoz
I'd have it be a super S-K that calls their massive, upgraded fairlight home. Every new character the cheater creates gets every part of his matrix life screwed with by this super S-K. Stop it when the cheater quits the group or the group as a whole feels it is getting old (as in they have forgiven the guilty.)

It sounds like everyone had a good time roleplaying that night so why punish everyone?
Sabosect
I will note this: The decision on the AI and the player were not my call. The GM for the session decided to keep the player around on a reduced status, simply because he is one of the originals from when it first formed. He's literally played with them for years.

However, the group does have protocols for this, in which they can vote whether or not to nullify a session. Normally, the group would have a even number of members, so that in case of cheating an odd number of people would vote. Right now, we have an odd number of members.

In any case, I agree with the idea of kicking him. But as it was not my decision when the case came up, I cannot contradict an existing decision. However, if he does anything munchkinish during this time, I doubt I'll have opposition to removing him from the group.
fistandantilus4.0
For the AI, I'd say let it go crazy or what not for a while, and then crash. One awesome roll one way or the other isn't enough to make up for the programming genius of a team of top level programmers. It might have had some special spark, but it owuld be unstable and not able to sustain it's self, and eventually crap out.

As for the player, I'd say there are some things that go in to this. Yes , he deliberately mislead you, He may have been jsut screwing around. It doesn't excuse it, but it may also mean that there's certainly no malice intended. We had aplayer in my old group that was notorious for cheating. Everyoen knew it, we always called him on it . He would always deny (we'd see the rolls before he could snatch up the dice), and we'd make him re-roll. He once bought a tiny set of dice that were solid red, with no painted numbers, so that we couldn't read them. SO we bought him a set of those MASSIVE dice, where the 6 sider is bigger than your thumb, and required him to roll only with those. Hell, we once found a dice that he'd had fixed, and tossed it over the fence when he wasn't looking. He was looking for it for years.

But he was our friend, and a fun guy. We didn't want to exclude him just becuase he cheats at a game. We just watched him more. So that one's up to you.
Kagetenshi
I'm advising kicking him not just because he cheated, but because he did so in such a massively stupid way. Smart cheaters are predictable, to some degree—you can catch them because you'll have a good idea of where they'll try to cheat. If someone's willing to try to convince people that a 6.98e-25% event just happened, there's no telling what else they'll try to pull.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Don't kick out Cheaters! Kick out stupid Cheaters! They drain IQ points form everyone else!

"Come back little IQ points! Come back! mad.gif I blame Bob! Damn stupid cheater!"
ShadowDragon8685
Well, I don't think you can blame him. First of all, you set an absofreakingloutely insane DC, and secondly, he DID roll a 63. That's pretty much impossible, I'd have given it to him then. He's pouring Nuyen and the project to make the AI seems to be the all-consuming focus of his entire character, if not the whole group.

Still, a weighted die is completely unacceptable. He should've invokved the Hand of God to make it happen.

Keep the AI, kill the character, and tell him if he EVER does it again, you're gonna kick him to the curb through the window.
toturi
So? It is the GM's fault that he managed to use the weighted dice. Cheating is acceptable, if it is fun. Remember the first rule of GMing, it is alright if the players are having fun doing it.

You tried to f**k their fun by giving him a absurd TN, so he f**ked you right back with weighted dice. Did the player have fun? Yes? You keep him. No? You kick him out.
ShadowDragon8685
I would simply ask him not to come back until the other players are cooled down. This talk of 'special revenge' is bad talk.
Sabosect
Toturi, I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on your post.

Absurd TN? He was trying to create an AI. He admitted he cheated just so he could do it when caught. You telling me that, in your games, you wouldn't give an absurd TN or simply disallow it? If so, then hold on while I get out my superotaku that can kill Deus just by looking at him and flood the Matrix with AIs. After all, I'm having fun, so it's allowed, right?

As for the TN: It was set months ago. In fact, if you look up the thread about AI TNs on here, you can find me mentioning it there.
Kagetenshi
Nah, I have to agree that it was an absurd TN. *Digs for the books* A more reasonable TN would be in the 40-50 range (based on rating of resulting program, natch), with a base time of about 64,000 days (based on size for that rating and a reasonable multiplier of 40). The AI thing is still houseruled, but this way the rest of it fits into canon.

~J
Sabosect
Kaget, if AIs were meant to conform to normal rules for programs, I'm pretty damned sure they would have rules for programming them. The point is, AIs and SKs don't conform to normal rules. In most cases, they are able to do things that are simply beyond their suggested power level when compared to normal rules. 50-60 is believeable for an SK, maybe, but not for an AI when you add up the requirements.

Edit: Spelling fix.
Kagetenshi
You might want to take a look at that base time again.

(It should also be noted that by strict canon he'd have to have a Computers(Programming) skill of 40-50 to be able to try, but them's the breaks)

~J
ShadowDragon8685
64,000 days is what... /me gets out calculator....

Something on the order of 175 years for one person.

I'd have to houserule it. Thou shouldst make thy player's dreams possible. LIKELY, no. PROBABLE, no. But possible, especially if they've been sinking the money for a huge Faccility and all that in.
Sabosect
Which, in turn, really doesn't change that your suggested numbers make it more than perfectly possible. Consider that my own group has a recorded instance of a legit 59 and the number of times rolls in the 40-60 range are recorded. The problem is that your only actual limit is time, and someone who somehow gets very lucky can cut that down to a much more manageable number.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Aug 24 2005, 11:39 PM)
I'd have to houserule it. Thou shouldst make thy player's dreams possible. LIKELY, no. PROBABLE, no. But possible, especially if they've been sinking the money for a huge Faccility and all that in.

I don't agree with that. It takes away the specialness of tilting at windmills if you give the windmills a chance to lose.
Consider that my own group has a recorded instance of a legit 59 and the number of times rolls in the 40-60 range are recorded.

A few recorded instances, sure. If you're regularly getting those rolls, I'd advise more dice checks.

~J
Mr. Man
Cheating is never acceptable. Cheaters should be ejected.

The best way to fix this situation: There is a tragic flaw in the AI that causes it to regress back to nothing. I'm thinking Flowers for Algernon here. The whole thing could take place in a paragraph of boxed text at the beginning of your next run or it could be dragged out -- depending on what the GM desires. In this scenario the karma awarded to the other PC's stays as it is because the AI did indeed exist (for a time).

That said: I see no reason why PC's couldn't conceivably have AI's but is that really something one wants? I mean, AI are not known for being easily controlled and without megacorp backing you would be highly vulnerable to becoming the target of shadowruns yourself because (after all) even a genius can't develop something like that in any kind of reasonable time frame without a fairly large team of scientists and engineers. Even the megas can't stop rumors from getting out (just pick up any Shadowrun sourcebook).

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Aug 24 2005, 11:40 PM)
Which, in turn, really doesn't change that your suggested numbers make it more than perfectly possible. Consider that my own group has a recorded instance of a legit 59 and the number of times rolls in the 40-60 range are recorded. The problem is that your only actual limit is time, and someone who somehow gets very lucky can cut that down to a much more manageable number.

I'm sorry, I don't have a copy of Matrix handy. How many 10 sixes in a row would a person have to roll to cut divide the programing time by 2100?

Realistically, if it takes more than one month the average shadowrunner can't afford to do it.
Sabosect
Kaget, the problem I see is the simple fact one stroke of luck can turn 175 into 17.5. It's probably around the same possibility range as that 200 is.

Look, I hold creating an AI by a decker on the street to being as equivolent as a kid playing around with a calculator accidentally creating a set of equations that allow for time travel. It should be a possibility, but one so remote no sane person would ever consider attempting it and no insane person would ever achieve. 40-50 is not a range beyond either.
Sabosect
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I'm sorry, I don't have a copy of Matrix 2.0 handy. How many 10 sixes in a row would a person have to roll to cut divide the programing time by 2100?

Realisticly, if it takes more than one month the average shadowrunner can't aford to do it.

Howm many sets of 10 sixes? 2100.

Realistically, the average shadowrunner shouldn't be able to make a single success to program an AI.
Kagetenshi
Let's set a reasonable minimum time for "success"—30 years. Note that that's not 30 years of work, that's 30 years of working on the project 365 days a year (leap days off!), 8 hours a day. To get under 30 years, we need six successes. Let's be generous and say he's rolling 20 dice with 3 karma rerolls—hell, we'll be extra nice and just call it eighty dice. Let's also give him the TN of 40.

Oh dear, the program I was using to calculate just choked on the number. It spit back zero. I'll post again when I've found something that doesn't round down the chance. (Edit: I ended up doing it by hand)

~1.211e-26%, a good order of magnitude smaller than your one success at TN 200.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Kaget, the problem I see is the simple fact one stroke of luck can turn 175 into 17.5. It's probably around the same possibility range as that 200 is.

So he'll have an AI if he is still playing with the same group in 2023. I don't see that as gamebreaking.
Sabosect
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 24 2005, 11:58 PM)
Let's set a reasonable minimum time for "success"—30 years. Note that that's not 30 years of work, that's 30 years of working on the project 365 days a year (leap days off!), 8 hours a day. To get under 30 years, we need six successes. Let's be generous and say he's rolling 20 dice with 3 karma rerolls—hell, we'll be extra nice and just call it eighty dice. Let's also give him the TN of 40.

Oh dear, the program I was using to calculate just choked on the number. It spit back zero. I'll post again when I've found something that doesn't round down the chance.

~J

What's the chance for one success? Compare that to the 200. It's the single success probability that creates the problem. That single success probability is the equivolent of the same plan that led to Morgan before the crews and everything else moved in to do the actual work.

So he'll have an AI if he is still playing with the same group in 2023. I don't see that as gamebreaking.

It may not be. Some people view it as such. The whole issue of the TN is something I called bullshit on mainly because these people have had months to call me on it on the original topic. They never did. In fact, at around that time, someone actually thought my number was better than their number of 75. I can even link you to the topic if you wish.

The fact is, ignoring it back then and calling on it now when none of the rules have really changed for the edition used is not really a good way to say you have an arguement.

Edit: The topic: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...wtopic=6834&hl=

Now, it says SKs, but the same number would pretty much apply in this case. Why? You have to have a SK before you can have an AI.
Kagetenshi
To be honest, I hadn't really focused on that post in the thread. Either way it's not much of an issue for me personally—as far as I'm concerned they're two different ways of saying "no".

I will say that I like to think that I am growing and changing, both as a person and as a SR player (and GM), and so my opinions at one time do not necessarily reflect what my opinions will be at some later time.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Sabosect)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 24 2005, 11:58 PM)

Oh dear, the program I was using to calculate just choked on the number. It spit back zero. I'll post again when I've found something that doesn't round down the chance.

~J

What's the chance for one success? Compare that to the 200. It's the single success probability that creates the problem. That single success probability is the equivolent of the same plan that led to Morgan before the crews and everything else moved in to do the actual work.

It may not be. Some people view it as such. The whole issue of the TN is something I called bullshit on mainly because these people have had months to call me on it on the original topic. They never did. In fact, at around that time, someone actually thought my number was better than their number of 75. I can even link you to the topic if you wish.

The fact is, ignoring it back then and calling on it now when none of the rules have really changed for the edition used is not really a good way to say you have an arguement.

Edit: The topic: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...wtopic=6834&hl=

Now, it says SKs, but the same number would pretty much apply in this case. Why? You have to have a SK before you can have an AI.

Complex programs never come out as planned. If they did, Windows would never crash and it wouldn't have a single security hole.

This 175 man-years of work itsn't just coding time. It is writing entire sections of code when the first second third forth and fifth drafts didn't fragging work. It includes time spend ripping out your hair, banging your head against the wall, and taking a baseball bat to your computer while yelling every profanity known to mankind in frustration.
tisoz
I just had an inspiration!

What if everything came off as roleplayed, then something goes wrong with the AI. Either it "dies", or it is discovered it wasn't actually an AI, or something else that removes it from the game.

When the players either IC or OoC want to know what happened, have them roll IC and let one of them discover that the offending player had fudged his numbers. I know real researchers who have done this, or their assistants wanted to keep their cush jobs and skewed results for them. In other words the cheater cheated IC, too.
FrostyNSO
If the player just wanted to shock you by throwing up a 200 with a weighted die, he should've said something after the event akin to:

"Haha, I was just fucking with you, check out this die."

But instead, he "let it roll". That's not playing around with the GM, that's cheating. If you keep him around, keep a really close eye on him, because a cheater once is a cheater again, almost without fail.
Tal
Or stage a run where some third party learns about the new AI and tries to acquire it by force. A tribe of otaku, for example, could be following orders from the DR to liberate the AI, or one of the Megas might want to pull it apart and find out how it works.
toturi
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Aug 25 2005, 12:21 PM)
Toturi, I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on your post.

Absurd TN? He was trying to create an AI. He admitted he cheated just so he could do it when caught. You telling me that, in your games, you wouldn't give an absurd TN or simply disallow it? If so, then hold on while I get out my superotaku that can kill Deus just by looking at him and flood the Matrix with AIs. After all, I'm having fun, so it's allowed, right?

As for the TN: It was set months ago. In fact, if you look up the thread about AI TNs on here, you can find me mentioning it there.

If the method for creating an AI was canon, I'd allow it. Such as it is, I will simply state that while AIs are canon, no one knows how one is created, so unless he is going to sulk in a corner if he is without an AI, then I'd tell him that I'd just GM fiat him an AI and see how much he enjoys that.

Sure, if you are having fun killing Deus with a look and flooding the Matrix with AIs, I don't see why not. You get to fudge, he gets to roll his weighted dice. Unless, of course, you never fudge rolls or rolled behind a GM screen like me.
ShadowDragon8685
I like the "Cheat IRL/Cheat IC" idea, personally.

That said, there is already an AI, and the character is already dead, so leave it at that.
Sabosect
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Complex programs never come out as planned. If they did, Windows would never crash and it wouldn't have a single security hole.

This 175 man-years of work itsn't just coding time. It is writing entire sections of code when the first second third forth and fifth drafts didn't fragging work. It includes time spend ripping out your hair, banging your head against the wall, and taking a baseball bat to your computer while yelling every profanity known to mankind in frustration.

I thought Windows was so bad because they took a penalty for not having a plan...

Anyway, as I understand the rules, a failure of programming is represented by what happens when you fail to get successes. You work for awhile and then discover it is wrong. That 175 years would be coding combined with possibly the occasional work on hardware.

If the method for creating an AI was canon, I'd allow it. Such as it is, I will simply state that while AIs are canon, no one knows how one is created, so unless he is going to sulk in a corner if he is without an AI, then I'd tell him that I'd just GM fiat him an AI and see how much he enjoys that.

That's pretty much what this poll is to determine. Group vote should have taken care of this, but a simple failing in the system prevents it.

The TN provided is the average chance, IMHO, of a person accidentally creating a SK or AI. That's about the only way it is possible with their resources.

Sure, if you are having fun killing Deus with a look and flooding the Matrix with AIs, I don't see why not. You get to fudge, he gets to roll his weighted dice. Unless, of course, you never fudge rolls or rolled behind a GM screen like me.

I only fudge rolls on occasion when I am GMing.
nick012000
I'd let the AI stay. I like the death cult idea.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Anyway, as I understand the rules, a failure of programming is represented by what happens when you fail to get successes. You work for awhile and then discover it is wrong. That 175 years would be coding combined with possibly the occasional work on hardware.

I would assume that time time also includes troubleshooting, error correction, and debugging.

Most modern programs are made of several smaller programs that are useless on their own but work together to accomplish whatever function. It is possible for one object to be incorrect while the others are perfect and it would screw up the entire program.
toturi
QUOTE (Sabosect)

That's pretty much what this poll is to determine. Group vote should have taken care of this, but a simple failing in the system prevents it.

The TN provided is the average chance, IMHO, of a person accidentally creating a SK or AI. That's about the only way it is possible with their resources.

I only fudge rolls on occasion when I am GMing.

Well then... he rolled his weighted dice for this occasion, unless he used them without your knowledge before. biggrin.gif
Sabosect
It would be nice if this were a light event. Look, this group doesn't take to cheaters too well. In fact, we're banned from a couple of bookstores because of it. The idea the GM may occasional fudge a die roll is acceptable. In fact, I've "accidentally" bumped the table on occasion to increase a player's rolled result simply because I didn't want the character to die or the chance lost. The other GM has done it as well.

However, there is a big difference between the GM bending the rules to allow a player to live and the player using a weighted die simply because they didn't want to lose at a test. We are playing a game where stupid actions are fully expected to get you killed, and our campaign style is a lethal one. The players come to enjoy a gritty, life-or-death struggle with the occasional silliness. In fact, the previous sentence is taken directly from house rules the group agreed to. And, sometimes, it's not stupidity that kills you, but pure bad luck or you deciding to sacrifice yourself so the team can survive (see my post on the Ask AH topic for an example of this that didn't result in death). In the end, many newbies don't continue with our group because they cannot keep up with the level of danger and the often cutthroat nature of the players themselves.

The point is, we play SR because we currently want a serious and dark campaign. Cheating ruins the fun for many of these players, most of whom have miniature books dedicated just to character sheets of deceased PCs. Hell, my autobiography is shorter than the list of dead characters I have. Cheating ruins the fun for everyone.
Grinder
Nullify the session, that's what i would do. As GM as well as a player. What ever is achieved by modified dices is nonexistent in the game.
Conskill
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Aug 25 2005, 04:00 AM)
It would be nice if this were a light event. Look, this group doesn't take to cheaters too well. In fact, we're banned from a couple of bookstores because of it.

I cheated in chess once by moving a pawn backwards. This wasn't just "back a step" backwards, but actually into the back row, to block a horizontal threat to my king.

The game went on for about three or four more turns, my little pawn sitting there, before my opponent realized what happened. I thought the absurdity was amusing, he was surprisingly upset. I figure your player might have been thinking the same way.
Sicarius
I think the only disappointing thing is that the offending player's PC was killed off in a manner that didn't involve him being massacred by his own frankstein creation.

I would think the vivid description of his burning flesh while the AI cooked his brain like Hannibal Lecter would have taught him a lesson.

So, that being said, i'm clearly for keeping the AI. Make it the nemisis of the remaining players. after a long effort, have them destory it.

Let the players do the dirty work that way.
Grinder
And have them pay for their cheating fellow player? That is bad style.
Talia Invierno
Just wanted to mention that I really like your idea, Mr. Man:
The best way to fix this situation: There is a tragic flaw in the AI that causes it to regress back to nothing. I'm thinking Flowers for Algernon here. The whole thing could take place in a paragraph of boxed text at the beginning of your next run or it could be dragged out -- depending on what the GM desires. In this scenario the karma awarded to the other PC's stays as it is because the AI did indeed exist (for a time).

One could always interpret a person who cheats this way in life is likely to have a character who cheats -- in non shadow acceptable ways -- to obtain the results s/he seeks.
I cheated in chess once by moving a pawn backwards. This wasn't just "back a step" backwards, but actually into the back row, to block a horizontal threat to my king.

The game went on for about three or four more turns, my little pawn sitting there, before my opponent realized what happened. I thought the absurdity was amusing, he was surprisingly upset. I figure your player might have been thinking the same way.

Hmm -- I'm not all that uptight about my gaming, but I think I would be irritated about that pawn too, Conskill: specifically because I see these kinds of games as a challenge of skill and strategy. Oddly enough, now that I'm thinking about it, the feeling is much the same as when one person in, oh, say a bridge or hearts foursome, doesn't really know how to play the game and doesn't care enough to learn from their experience. It completely throws the strategy for everyone else: not only negates, not only renders ineffective -- but renders pointless.

I'd like to think I'd notice it earlier than three-four moves later, though smile.gif
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Sabosect)
In fact, we're banned from a couple of bookstores because of it.

So, are you saying you have been banned from a few stores because of this one guy? If so, he is a liability. If he can't learn, dump him. If he actually stops cheating(you'll only know for sure next time you catch him), let it ride.

I would make the AI unstable and regress back to a SK.
toturi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
One could always interpret a person who cheats this way in life is likely to have a character who cheats -- in non shadow acceptable ways -- to obtain the results s/he seeks.

Are there any non shadow acceptable ways? I thought the very essense of shadowrunning was based on the very selfish and very material me first. Everything would be calculated on how it would impact me.
Talia Invierno
So, are you saying you have been banned from a few stores because of this one guy?
-Jrayjoker

I'm guessing it might have something to do with the extremeness of response to any cheater, whenever one gets caught ...? Bookstores tend to discourage furious screaming.
Are there any non shadow acceptable ways? I thought the very essense of shadowrunning was based on the very selfish and very material me first. Everything would be calculated on how it would impact me.

Assuming it's a universal "yes" to that last for the sake of argument -- although I think there might be some difference of opinion over that on these boards -- depends: do you want to have ongoing decent relations with your contacts? or your teammates, for that matter? As one example: if your fence contact notices you fast-talked them into far more money than they really think they should have paid for that bunch of crap you just unloaded onto them, what do you think their reaction will be the next time you try to sell something to them?

Which, I think, answers the first as well: caveat emptor being a long-running truism of most private sales ... but also a measure of the degree to which you want to keep dealing with that person.
Lindt
QUOTE (Mr. Man)
The best way to fix this situation: There is a tragic flaw in the AI that causes it to regress back to nothing. I'm thinking Flowers for Algernon here. The whole thing could take place in a paragraph of boxed text at the beginning of your next run or it could be dragged out -- depending on what the GM desires.

Oh, hell, I might let this all fly. The (now dead) PC could have just struck on 'something' spent the rest of his natural life working on a AI that will, in short order, be no smarter then your average watcher spirit.
Sicarius
QUOTE (Grinder)
And have them pay for their cheating fellow player? That is bad style.

How is having an exciting game where you defeat the evil bloody thirsty AI your idiot former teammate created a punishment?

It sounds like fun to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012