Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Space, Essence, and the Awakened
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
nezumi
I would reduce the base TN for spotting spirits from 12 to 10, since a force 6 spirit is basically the largest an exceptional human can safely conjure, yet it would still almost never be noticed by most people. Force 3, being the maximum legal limit, will still only rarely be sensed.

The TN for spotting magic needs to be printed more prominently, and there needs to be a way to specify when a spell is completely discrete. For instance, is mind probe a discrete spell or "brain rape"? If it's like a machine gun going off, well obviously not discrete, but many, many players currently believe it is a quiet and subtle way of operating.
Kagetenshi
It's already clear. Any spell with a duration of Instant is discrete, while Sustained spells are continuous. Pemanent spells might need to be clarified there.

~J
Crossfire
Would having an astrally projecting mage AUTOMATICALLY manifest itself be a nice way to balance astral scouting? It wouldn't be an option, just a part of the ability. They would be easier to spot, even if you would still need something in the astral to affect it (or something dual-natured or astrally perceiving...).

Thoughts?

Peace!

Crossfire
Kagetenshi
That's a bigger change than I can evaluate while procrastinating my disco homework. I'll get back to you on that one.

~J
Kyoto Kid
...making spirits easier to spot for mundanes does not address the fact the the searching spirit can still zip back to its summoner after the target was located. Certainly the target could do nothing to prevent the spirit from returning to it's summoner either unless he or she could astrally project or was packing an FN AAL Gyrojet with Plus rounds at the minimum (if the spirit manifested).
Eyeless Blond
What it means is that the mundane can call Lone Star and file a police report, or call Bob his buddy the mage, etc. More than that, though, being aware of the spy limits the usefulness of the information the spy can gather. Though G.I. Joe made it a cliche, it's still true that "Knowing is half the battle." But yes, the other half is to update the Contest of Wills to make more sense, both to give normal mundanes a chance and to eliminate the silliness of using fishing poles to fight intangible spirits.

And I agree with Nezumi's notion to reduce the TN to 10-Force, maybe even 9-Force.
Kyoto Kid
...yes, the mundane can report he was spied upon by a spirit, but what info does that really give the Star?

"yeah, so you saw a spirit, do you have someone you know of who we can link it to...?"

Granted, in nations like the UK where there are actual laws against Astral intrusion such an incident would be taken more seriously (particularly since all mages there are required to register with the LPO)

I feel the power itself needs to be nerfed just a bit so it isn't always so bloody foolproof, particularly in the case of Watchers.

Even reducing the TN by force in this instance still makes low force entities more powerful since they remain harder to detect. For example, using a base TN of 10 - force, a force 6 elemental could be noticed on a Perception test TN of 4, but a piddly force 2 watcher still requires a TN of 8. More often than not mages will send watchers on search missions rather than risk an exspensive and hard to summon elemental.
fistandantilus4.0
This thread, and the other SR3R threads are being moved over to Community Projects. The original Shadowrun 3rd Revised thread will remain in the Shadowrun forum. They're getting quite a lot of traffic and are sticking to the top of the Shadowrun forum, but would be more appropriately placed in Community Projects.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...yes, the mundane can report he was spied upon by a spirit, but what info does that really give the Star? 

"yeah, so you saw a spirit, do you have someone you know of who we can link it to...?"

"All right, we'll send a patrol unit over tonight. Have you thought of setting up a neighborhood astral watch? If you like I can transfer you to an agent for our Security Education section for details. We have very low-cost programs available in three different languages to train the young and inexperienced Awakened in astral security procedures, to create astral Watchers, and what to do in an emergency...." Lone Star *is* out to make a profit, after all. smile.gif

I feel the power itself needs to be nerfed just a bit so it isn't always so bloody foolproof, particularly in the case of Watchers.
Possibly. What do you suggest? I haven't read the rules for astral recon lately, esecially for Watchers, but watchers IIRC don't really make for good spies as they're about as smart as a dog, and can't really stay interested in the affairs of the mundane.

Even reducing the TN by force in this instance still makes low force entities more powerful since they remain harder to detect.  For example, using a base TN of 10 - force, a force 6 elemental could be noticed on a Perception test TN of 4, but a piddly force 2 watcher still requires a TN of 8.  More often than not mages will send watchers on search missions rather than risk an exspensive and hard to summon elemental.

Hm. That's still pretty true. How about a TN of 12 - the perceiving character's Essence - the spirit's Force/Magic? That makes the TN nice and low for people with normal Essence, and emphasizes the fact that Essence increases your connection with the Astral world.

At the same time, you'd add (6-Essence)/2 (round down) to all TNs for a mage to affect a character with low Essence. This would include Perception TNs to spot a low-Essence character from the Astral. It would not apply to elemental manipulation spells, but would to all spirit powers, including Engulf. Thus low-Essence characters would not be able to notice magic going on around them, but they'd also be slightly protected from it.
nezumi
If watchers lose interest quickly, then the rules should reflect that. Have it roll its force against a TN of 4. No successes? It wanders off to do something else, never to report to the caster again. Meanwhile, Astral searches should be impacted by things like range and astral activity. A character 100 miles away in a packed subway train should be basically impossible to find, while a person a block away in an empty room should be relatively easy.

I like both of the suggested rules at the end of the post, though.
Eyeless Blond
Well they kinda don't. According to the rules they're extremely loyal and single-minded in their tasks, to the point that they take orders extremely literally.

To be honest, I've never had a problem with watcher spirits; just keep in mind that they have an Int equal to their Force, can't reliably overhear anything done on a technological level, and don't have any relevant background knowledge in any subject, seeing as they are basically raw astral goop formed into a temporarily self-sustaining process. The best way to weaken them is specify that they have to make the same Memory Tests everyone else has to in order to remember long or complicated conversations.

A watcher patrol is actually a decent way to keep a wide area under astral guard for very little cost. A group of 3 watchers--one at Force 3 to give it a decent Int score, maybe summoned using ritual materials or karma for longevity, the other two Force 1--can spot any astral form in a 10,000 square meters, covering a small suburban neighborhood (100m x 100m). IMO this is actually a bit low; I think the patrol areas should be 10 times as large, but then I also think watchers should be cheaper to summon for long periods (maybe 50Y/month OR 1 Karma for a year. I mean, real spirits are bound to tasks for a year and a day for less karma than a watcher is for a few months; that's silly.)

And yes, distance should have an affect on a watcher's Search ability, just as it does on the regular spirit's a few pages back. In fact I'd suggest making it the same penalty, or maybe just give the watcher the Search power, but with a base time of 2 hours instead of 20 minutes and limit to living targets only.
nezumi
Watchers for defensive purposes I really don't have a problem with. But, like dogs, you shouldn't be able to say "find Bob, his signature looks like this", and the watcher will actually find Bob. At minimum, such a thing should require the caster be able to show Bob's astral signature to the watcher (like giving a piece of clothing to a dog), which makes it a good deal more difficult to find missing persons.
Eyeless Blond
(Edit: doh! I mixed up the Search test rules. Need to rethink this...)
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (nezumi)
Watchers for defensive purposes I really don't have a problem with. But, like dogs, you shouldn't be able to say "find Bob, his signature looks like this", and the watcher will actually find Bob.

Rather than argue about how well known a person needs to be to send a watcher search, would you prefer a messenger spirit? Split watcher spirits into their two main roles, watch places and ferry messages, and make them require different summons?

I could then see watcher spirit durations increased and messenger spirits use the current watcher spirit durations.
Eyeless Blond
That would work, but why bother making a second spirit type? Just let watchers be summoned long-term for cheap, say 15Y in components for a week or 1 Karma for a year and a day, but specify that long-term summons can only be used to bind the watcher to an area to guard.

Regarding Search, I really like the idea that the summoner's Int has something to do with finding a target. I'm not sure how good any of the current Search rules are, though; the watcher one is especially odd because of the lack of distance restriction.
nezumi
SR4 seems to have some reasonable astral search rules, which may be worth bringing in.

I don't mind rules on making watchers that can hang around longer as guards, sort of like the binding rules in SR4, but I'd stay away from trying to classify different types of watchers with different sets of rules.
Kagetenshi
I'm not too keen on Watchers hanging around very long-term—I think the fact that trying to do so costs as much or more than summoning a real Elemental (depending on how you value karma; it could cost less for some characters, maybe) and still only gets you a few weeks is wholly appropriate.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Binding a Force 4 elemental for a year and a day: 4 Karma, plus the 4,000Y in summoning ingredients to get your elemental in the first place.

Binding a decidedly inferior Force 3 Watcher for the same amount of time: either 52 Karma, 52,000 Y, or some combination thereof. Also you have to repeat the ritual every few weeks

So, I suppose if you value Karma at more than 12,000 Y per point the above trade may be worthwhile, though you get a less powerful, less intelligent, astral-only spirit for the bargain. Or if your mage gets a Magic attribute of over about 20, at which point he can summon Force 10 watchers, lowering that ratio to 4,200 Y per point of Karma spent for an equal-Force elemental. Either way it is trivial to see that unless you plan on summoning Force 53+ watchers (magic attribute over 106) you'll never get a good return using karma to bind a watcher spirit as opposed to an equal-Force elemental.

So, um, how exactly is that "appropriate"?

(Edit): No, in fact the rules already show how other spirit types can be put into service as guards far more efficiently than it would cost to summon them for your own use. Watchers should be no different, and in fact it would massively help alleviate the problem of needing mages around to combat mages if there were watcher guards around most of the mid- to high-security areas in Seattle. Make astral guards as common as background count and you'll see far fewer astral peeping Toms, all without having to explicitly give mundanes magic-fighting ghostbuster power packs or whatever.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Binding a Force 4 elemental for a year and a day: 4 Karma, plus the 4,000Y in summoning ingredients to get your elemental in the first place.

Binding a decidedly inferior Force 3 Watcher for the same amount of time: either 52 Karma, 52,000 Y, or some combination thereof. Also you have to repeat the ritual every few weeks

Exactly. Likewise, how much does it cost to buy enough .22LR rounds to build a 5-meter platform that can support one ton of vertical load and at least 200 lbs of shear? What about compared to, say, enough real building material to do the job?

This is why I think that's appropriate.

Edit: though I'll need to think over your suggestion that it might counter astral perception. I'm very skeptical, but also can't think too well right now (pretty tired).

~J
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 3 2007, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

Exactly. Likewise, how much does it cost to buy enough .22LR rounds to build a 5-meter platform that can support one ton of vertical load and at least 200 lbs of shear? What about compared to, say, enough real building material to do the job?

This is why I think that's appropriate.

Edit: though I'll need to think over your suggestion that it might counter astral perception. I'm very skeptical, but also can't think too well right now (pretty tired).

Well, consider then: what exactly is a Watcher Spirit's primary job title supposed to be? A messenger? A snoop? A nutritional part of this fully balanced Elemental Attack Pack ™? Or maybe they're meant for actually watching things?

A watcher spirit is not a bullet. A watcher spirit is not a brick, a nail, or even a very reliable tape recorder for conversations. The one task that watchers can do just as well as other spirits, by the rules, is patrol astral space, like the loyal guard dogs that MitS describes them as. If we expand that role, by making Watchers relatively easy to summon for long periods for that purpose, and that purpose only, we can kill two birds with one stone: making Watcher rules more sensible, as well as reducing the vulnerability of people to astrally projecting peeping Toms without making weird idiosyncratic rules increasing the power of mundanes against the spirit world.

The Search rules still need revising, though.

I also still like the two ideas of high-Essence mundanes being able to sense onto the Astral and low-Essence creatures being resistant to all Magic, but for different reasons. First, the rules just ring out coolness to me; that's not a particularly good reason, but it's the most important to me. smile.gif Second it helps drive home that the higher your Essence the more connected you are with the living (ie astral) world, and the lower your Essence, the further you are away from that world.
Kagetenshi
I figured its primary job was to lust after human women.

~J
Eyeless Blond
Heh, now I have this weird idea of incubi and succubi as Toxic versions of spirits of Man, spawned from prostitution houses and rape scenes. It's the fault of my own twisted underslept brain, but I'm blaming you for it anyway. smile.gif
nezumi
I agree, the high/low essence benefits and drawbacks thing rocks.
Kyoto Kid
...on the Watcher search topic.

Had this nearly end a mission right out of the box because the original rules on distance were kind of vague. The team was in one city where an abduction occurred, and the target was by then in another neighbouring country. The players of the mage characters swore up and down that it was infallible even in spite of the distance involved. Had to go tho the FAQ for a ruling on this but was pretty much advised that if I felt it too powerful to throw up things like wards or random wandering sprits to confuse or take out the watcher, or to houserule it.

Distance should definitely be a factor. So should basic knowledge of the location being searched (they had an idea of city the person was in but none of the runners actually ever were there) maybe come into play? In Champions there is a similar power that has negative modifiers for population size of the location. If all the character knew was they were in a city of say 500,000, he basically needed one hell of a good roll to even have a remote chance at locating the subject. Even then, I believe you only got the general area (neighbourhood, suburb), not the exact pinpoint location.

I also would say actually having prior personal contact with the target should also be a big part of it, not just having a holo picture like the team above had to show the watcher.

I like the idea of some kind of mechanic for Watchers to be distracted along the way. I do not like the idea of the summoner's INT playing into the equation. Requiring the mage to have a "clear picture" of the target's astral signature and needing to convey it to the Watcher (have the Watcher make an INT test to catch all the details) so it understands could be another way to to increase the degree of difficulty.
nezumi
Something that needs to be re-enforced (and should exist in the current rules, even though it's not specified), watchers are astral-only. They can manifest, but not materialize. They cannot see photographs, read maps, see color, etc. So having a holo won't help. The mage needs a way to describe the fellow (or the target) to the watcher. Additionally, it needs a way to describe the location. The latter step can be very difficult. Sure, if he's in Seattle you just say 'search the city'. But if the target is in Philly? Southeast DC? How do you express that to a creature with no sense of geography, no way to read a map, and few astral markers?

Strictly speaking, I think astral searching should be difficult by the rules as they stand, but because we don't have any rules for how to communicate an astral signature to a watcher, we sort of have to muddle through. How do you tell the watcher to find Bob? Well, there's nothing in the rules, so let's assume it's trivial. If we make it clear how difficult it is to explain real world concepts to an astral only creature, that alone will greatly reduce the watcher problem.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Heh, now I have this weird idea of incubi and succubi as Toxic versions of spirits of Man, spawned from prostitution houses and rape scenes.

I prefer the idea of them as being ordinary Spirits of Man. Possibly spawned from the above, but I see nothing "toxic" about something so deeply human.

~J
nezumi
A herpes spirit would be the toxic version.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 4 2007, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Heh, now I have this weird idea of incubi and succubi as Toxic versions of spirits of Man, spawned from prostitution houses and rape scenes.

I prefer the idea of them as being ordinary Spirits of Man. Possibly spawned from the above, but I see nothing "toxic" about something so deeply human.

I'd argue that rape and sexual exploitation are about as "deeply human" as toxic waste and massive radiation damage are "in tune with the environment", but this isn't the thread for any of that.

So, back on topic, how is everyone weighing in on the recent issues brought up:

I) Watchers are too expensive to use as long-term anything, especially as guards. Solutions so far:
Ia) Split Watchers up into two separate spirit types, one for messages and searches, and a far cheaper one for guarding
Ib) Make watcher spirits easier/cheaper to summon for long periods of time, but only for patrolling purposes. Keep the canon rules (successes = number of hours present) for all other spirit uses.

II) The Search power, astral tracking, etc. needs work. It should have the following changes:
IIa) Dependent on distance between summoner/target.
IIb) Dependent on communication between spirit and summoner (summoner's Int? Spirit's Int? Some sort of description skill?).
IIc) Dependent on summoner's knowledge of the target.
IId) Should be the same rules for Watchers and other spirits? Similar but with special restrictions for the Watchers? Maybe non-Watcher spirits can search for physical objects more easily than Watchers?

III) Reinforce the flavor text regarding Essence-as-connection-with-Astral-body with actual rules:
IIIa) High Essence creatures/characters have an easier time detecting astrally-active beings?
IIIb) Low Essence creatures/characters (creatures specifically with Essence Loss from cyberware/addictions/etc) are slightly resistant to magic? Maybe add total Essence loss to TNs for Health spells, and 1/2 Essence Loss (round down) to all other spells?

IV) Maybe we should consider optional rules to--how did nezumi put it--"require eating puppies or something," to initiate? For magic in general?
IVa) Mechanically, regular initiation is a bit of a pain in the karma already. It's only when you stack both groups and ordeals that it becomes a little too easy. Maybe we should make "Group Initiation" an ordeal itself, so it doesn't stack with other ordeals? This would make the base cost for self-initiation Base*3, and initiation w/ordeal or group as Base*2.
IVb) Forget cyberpsychosis: how about astralpsychosis? Maybe initiation should make you go a little crazy. I imagine initiation as immersing yourself in levels of magic that are, at best, greater than humans should normally be able to handle, at worst incredibly dangerous. Of course this would be the direct opposite of cyberware's detachment and mechanical psychosis; the initiate's version would make him prone to bouts of mania, hyperactivity, maybe delusions and schizophrenia? How could we make Initiation drive you a little crazy, and have it both be workable and interesting?

V) Revamping geasea to be less inherently munchkiny:
Va) Gesture/Talisman/Incantation Geasea require a Free Action devoted to each geas before using any magical skill. This means someone with more than one of the three will be forced to waste a pass chanting or waving their hands around before casting a spell, for instance.
Vb) Maybe we can cross-pollinate the aspected abilities of Aspected Mages, and the limitations of the different Geasea? I imagine a guy taking a Sorcery-only Geas after losing a lot of Essence to a single cybersurgery, for instance, or an Aspected Mage who can only use his magic at night, rather than the limited range of canon limitations for aspected mages.

VI) Spirit combat rules need to be reworked.
VIa) Remove the silly "fishing poles/whipt/boards-with-long-nails help with Contests of Wills" rule.
VIb) Replace it with something else that gives mundanes a change at beating spirits, but makes more sense. Maybe the Essence loss penalty mentioned above could apply to spirits attempting to get in a Contest of Wills with a mundane?
VIc) Rework the Immunity to Normal Weapons thing to be less all-or-nothing. The same or similar changes could be made to vehicle/hardened armor later, to help out the sam who foolishly tries to shoot a car.

VII) Foci issues
VIIa) Mundanes bonding foci? At least weapon foci, to allow them to fight spirits?
VIIb) Reintriduce grounding rules?
VIIc) Possibly rework focus combat?
VIId) Focus addiction rules suck. They should work like other addictions, all of which needs to be redone themselves, and maybe if severe enough you should start losing Essence like you can in SR4?
nezumi
(I'm glad you're documenting astral stuff, since I've really fallen behind. If you want my old notes up until early March, I can post them.)

1) None of the above. Watchers should be temporary. I suppose b would be acceptable though, but it would have to be carefully worded.

2) All of the above except the last. I prefer fewer special cases if possible. The summoner's intelligence determines if the watcher understands the instructions, the spirit's intelligence determines if it successfully finds what it's looking for.

3) All of the above

4) 4b sounds awesome. It may also explain why powerful sorcerers, dragons and IEs all seem a little off their rocker.

5) I agree with all of the above, but I think the talisman geas needs to be dropped, or needs to be modified to require a substantial karma deposit.

6) All of the above. Low essence characters should be difficult for spirits to attack, at least in anything less than physical combat (if we bring in #3 at least). I still think that a troll with a huge axe should be able to take a chunk out of an earth elemental though.

7) Yes to all except focus combat, which I don't understand or care about.
Herald of Verjigorm
I) actually opposed to both, I just suggested option a to see if it would fit better with some people's optinions.

II) a) Aren't there already penalties for the size of an are being searched? I do remember seeing that on the chart, maybe it was just the optional search definition in MitS.
b) Would net nothing. Watchers are trivial to conjure for simple searches, so it would just be a matter of conjuring and dismissing until you have a swarm that knows what you want.
c) I could see an argument for only being able to find targets that the conjurer has assensed, but that immediately leads to aspected conjurers being helpless and full mages assensing everything they see (even the ones that don't already). Not worth the trouble.
d) Same rules, just that materializing spirits can actually do something more than talk when they find the target.

III) disagree

IV) Have yet to have such an abundance of karma that I can initiate easily. Maybe I need new GMs.

V) No trivially available talisman definitions, no inanely stupid condition choices, and most of the geas muinchkinnery is countered.
a) Since all characters get a free action every time it's anyone's turn for initiative, this is a useless and annoying suggestion.

VII) a) no b) no c) what do you mean? d) why?
Kagetenshi
My suggestion for geasa was to scrap geasa to counteract magic loss entirely and rework the idea to operate like the Exclusive and Fetish-limited spell limitations.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
Would you be able to apply it to spells after learning them to offset the penalties of magic loss, or would they all need to be included when learning? I do like the idea of a gesture-linked spell, but not all spells being gesture linked.
Kagetenshi
I'm figuring that the magic loss would just be cut out of the idea entirely, and you'd apply it to the spell when learning it. It'd be by-spell, too, not "now every spell you cast needs a gesture".

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
On furthur thought, having to cast a spell you already know at lower force until you learn one with chanting that you can cast as well as you used to be able isn't a problem. I agree with the idea.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Nezumi)
How do you tell the watcher to find Bob? Well, there's nothing in the rules, so let's assume it's trivial.

...this was exactly the "loophole" that the PCs exploited.
Eyeless Blond
Well, my responses:

I) I vote no on A, yes on B. While separate spirit types would be a bit overkill, allowing Watchers to be bonded as guards for long periods on the cheap--as elementals are, by the way, but these would be even cheaper as they are worth even less--would solve a big problem elegantly and simply. Namely, the whole "Astral spying > you" problem. If it becomes economically feasible for all middle-class and higher neighborhoods to have a small team of bound Watchers around to check for snoopers, it cuts down on the mages' easy-snooping privileges, all without having to give mundanes cheesy weird Ghostbuster-like equipment options.

II) As nezumi, I like A, B and C. For D I think that searching should be essentially the same for all spirits, including watchers, but that watchers should face special modifiers for finding Astally-inactive targets, and near completely inept at totally mundane objects like computers. Maybe something like adding OR to Search tests for watcher spirits?

III) As before, I like A and B here. I like Essence to have as much to do with Magic as possible, and these would help with that.

IV) For A, I just don't like that there is a 100% difference between the fully-discounted Initiation and the undiscounted Initiation. Something like base cost*2.5 for self-initiation, and base cost*2.0 for group/ordeal initiation, with the base cost at desired grade+4?
For B, it's a wonderful flavor idea, but how would it work? For the first few grades I'd imagine some small, purely flavor neuroses would be fine, but at the grades begin to rack up I want actual game mechanics to make those mental issues real impacts. Any suggestions?

V) I like Kagetenshi's idea of geased spells more than either of the two ideas above. Though, how would that work with Conjuring? Can it?

VI) Immunity definately need work. Where are the rules for how it currently works? I don't even remember.

VII) I don't personally like any of these except rewriting Focus Addiction and *maybe* adding Grounding back in. For Focus Addiction, if we can fix regular Addiction rules to actually work, rather than being silly and stupid, we can then make Foci into addictive substances, just like any other psychologically addicting thing. This would make it less of a silly special case, while actually accomplishing what it's supposed to accomplish (making mages be careful about too many foci).
Kagetenshi
I) My problem with that is that it still takes a mage to fight a mage—someone needs to summon the Watchers. Really, my preferred solution is to make the astral a lot more disconnected from the physical world and to also make it a lot more dangerous, but there's been resistance to that idea.

IV) Brainstorming underway for ways to make magic eat puppies.

V) As for geasa+conjuring, I have absolutely no idea how that would work. Brainstorming time.

VI) Spirit Powers section. I'm not so sure it really needs work, though if we weaken Contest of Wills it certainly will. As it stands, it's 2x Force in hardened armor, 1x against elemental attacks, unarmored vs. contest of wills, combat spells, and weapon foci.

VII) I would totally love to add Grounding back in, except someone pointed out to me the old "whip up a Force 1 nature spirit or elemental, guide to a place on the astral, order it to Materalize, then hit with Force 10 Somethingball grounded through it" trick. As far as I'm concerned, that pretty much kills grounding dead, which saddens me greatly. If someone has an amazing idea bring it up, by all means.

~J
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I) My problem with that is that it still takes a mage to fight a mage—someone needs to summon the Watchers.
Irrelevant. Magic vs. technology is covered more by III than by I. This issue is solely meant as a simple way to combat the astral scouting issue, while simultaneously making Watcher spirits work something like a low-powered blend of nature spirits and elementals, rather than their current weird rules that make them into something odd and different.

Really, my preferred solution is to make the astral a lot more disconnected from the physical world and to also make it a lot more dangerous, but there's been resistance to that idea.
What, the "living things can crush your astral spirit" thing? How do you combat the fact that living dust mites cover every surface except in the cleanest of cleanrooms, bacteria float in the air, and all of it would instantly crush the life out of a projecting mage, since he can't physically push any of it out of his way, the moment he steps out of his body?

I wouldn't be against removing astral projection entirely, leaving only perception open. "Astral projection" would then actually be metaplanar projection, and only available to initiates. But making living things impossible to move through opens a large can of worms itself.

VI) Spirit Powers section. I'm not so sure it really needs work, though if we weaken Contest of Wills it certainly will. As it stands, it's 2x Force in hardened armor, 1x against elemental attacks, unarmored vs. contest of wills, combat spells, and weapon foci.

Indeed, it's *balanced* as it is, but I'm not sure the rules are any *good*. I guess I just don't like the idea of a Sam carrying around a collapseable 10-ft pole, just in case a spirit comes along. I mean, forgetting the actual mechanics for a moment, why should it make sense to bring along long-reach weapons as an aid to making a test of wills?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
What, the "living things can crush your astral spirit" thing? How do you combat the fact that living dust mites cover every surface except in the cleanest of cleanrooms, bacteria float in the air, and all of it would instantly crush the life out of a projecting mage, since he can't physically push any of it out of his way, the moment he steps out of his body?

Well, that was one proposal. Other possibilities include Earthdawn-style damage while projecting, increased range, frequency, and nastiness of astral flora and fauna, and weakening the ability to exactly gauge distances and positions for non-living things. Also scrapping physical sound penetration through the A/P barrier.

I wouldn't be against removing astral projection entirely, leaving only perception open. "Astral projection" would then actually be metaplanar projection, and only available to initiates.

That's a big jump, but the idea itself intrigues me—especially since it closes one of the crippling gaps between full mages and the aspected. As it stands, it's usually worth paying those extra five points for the ability to project alone, and the ability to do whatever else was forbidden is just an extra bonus.

As for ten-foot-poles, I know that I can exert my will on people more effectively when carrying a big staff smile.gif seriously, the only justification I can come up with is that it allows the user a better defense. That's not a ridiculous justification, but it's comparatively weak, given that the fact that frequently the ten-foot-pole won't actually be able to hurt the spirit, leaving it only useful for parrying.

~J
Eyeless Blond
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of getting rid of the astral plane altogether, at least the way it's presented now. Now that grounding is out of the picture, astral perception/projection lets you do basically three things:

1) Spy on people essentially with impunity. (Projection)
2) Instantly identify anyone, without regard for disguise, cover, concealment, camouflage, lighting, or even magical attempts to hide oneself (both projection and perception and the number of mods that don't apply to Assensing tests.)
3) Call down the thunder of your spirit brigade on enemies while remaining invincible yourself. (Projection w/ elementals or Great Form nature spirits.)

...that's about it really, and frankly I don't really like any of those options in SR3. Those together are a big part of why nezumi and others bring up the very valid points of magic only being able to be countered by more magic.

If I had my way I'd excise the Astral world as we know it entirely. It would become entirely the world of the spirits, a place where man cannot tread. I'd even change the name: hermetics would call it the Aether, or the Ethreal Plane, and shamans the Spirit World. The only way to view it would be that one Astral Window spell, whatever it's called, or wandering into one of those weird rifts or shallows or such. No perception, no projection; only spirits exist on that plane, essentially.

Metaplanar projection would still work for initiates though. I'm unsure if it shouldn't require a little... more than it does now. More preparations, more vulnerability of your meatbod while you're away, more potential complications arising during the quest, etc. I'd also like to see initiates have the ability to allow willing people to come with them on astral quests.
nezumi
The Astral plane is a HUGE part of Shadowrun. While it might make mages less munchy, even I, who as a rule dislike mages, would have to say taking projection away altogether would seem to be a bit much.

Kage is right on. Make it more dangerous. What I think we need to emphasize is the astral is a completely separate ecosystem, and not only that, it's one that has been around for thousands of years, even though humans were unable to jump over. Realistically speaking, the astral should be an undocumented jungle of weird things, predator and prey, and ultimately a place where humans simply do not belong. Visiting the astral isn't just a philosophical test of what makes us human, but a quickness test to avoid the huge crocodile thing that just jumped out of that high-rise to nab you! If we basically made the mage into a little tuna in a big ocean, fully of sharks, jellyfish and sea-birds, the astral really would be its own adventure, one he's unlikely to want to take on himself. That said, it would also reinforce the 'Shadowrun is really 4 games in 1' 'dichotomy'. The mage goes off to do his scouting and the rest of the group orders beer and pizza.
Herald of Verjigorm
There are a nice list of astral nasties (but always room for more). GMs don't often use them. If you add more harmless astral entities, and then just indicate that astral life is common, this will increase all the search TNs (needs to be sterile or in the presence of an astral predator to get below the population density penalty), make general astral scouting harder, except when it's actually life threatening, and help make the astral seem more alien.
Eyeless Blond
Hm. Okay, I can respect that astral projection/perception may be a little too much to wholesale remove like that. But...
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
There are a nice list of astral nasties (but always room for more).  GMs don't often use them.

If GMs don't use astral nasties, presumably because it's too much bother to having them around everywhere, how does adding more of them fix the problem? Making the solution more complex doesn't encourage anyone to use it; kinda the opposite, really.

I'm even more leery of making the astral into a whole alien ecosystem than I am of removing it entirely. The problem is basically the same as that of sculpted hosts for deckers. Having the mage's astral game be so completely removed from the rest of the group's on a regular basis would simply discourage groups from running it at all. Forcing the GM to come up with unique challenges just to satisfy the mage's astral journey is something most GMs don't want to bother with, just like most GMs don't want to bother with coming up with a whole sculpted system metaphor (or series of them even!) just to satisfy the team's one decker.

That, IMO, would be worse than just forbidding the mage from entering astral space altogether, because it would leave the potential for astral abuse there, only kept in check by the GM constantly having to pay attention to balancing the astral plane, distracting him from the rest of his players.

No, if we're going to keep the astral plane we need to remove the abuse potential of the astral without foisting the responsibility onto the GM. To do that we need to think of all the possible abuses that the astral plane offers, and find a way to nerf them without completely making the astral useless. In that vein, anyone want to add to my list of potential abuses above?

As for specific fixes, I like Kagetenshi's previous idea of limiting how much the astral world and physical world interact, frosting up that "one-way mirror".
1) Since the astral plane has nothing to do with your normal senses, then your normal senses don't apply when using astral projection. Thus, you cannot hear, see, smell, taste or touch anything that does not have an astral aura. You can thus sense auras, and even use assensing to discern their properties and emotional states, but you have no way to orient yourself other than the living earth itself and the pinpricks of light that are other people. The "one-way mirror" becomes completely opaque in both directions.
1a) Manifesting, as a lesser form of a spirit's Materialization power, can somewhat counter this. It gives you psychic senses that somewhat mimic the real versions of those senses: you can see, hear, taste, touch, and smell as a manifested being. It's not as solid a form as a Materialized spirit, however, and the senses don't work so well: +2TN to Perception vs. anything living, +4TN to Perception vs. anything nonliving. At the same time, living beings can see and perceive you normally (though maybe at a +2TN because you're slightly insubstantial?).
1b) What would you say about mundanes and Manifesting mages being able to have a Contest of Wills?

2) Don't really know what to do about this. Maybe make astral signatures require more than one success on the Assensing Test, and you must successfully Perceive someone before you can Assense them?

3) Perhaps you can only command spirits within a certain distance of your physical, not astral, body?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
If GMs don't use astral nasties, presumably because it's too much bother to having them around everywhere,

I never even hypothesized why GMs don't use them. If it is your experience that GMs consider it a bother to include astral nasties in such a way, say so, do not imply that I did.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 7 2007, 02:51 PM)
If GMs don't use astral nasties, presumably because it's too much bother to having them around everywhere,

I never even hypothesized why GMs don't use them. If it is your experience that GMs consider it a bother to include astral nasties in such a way, say so, do not imply that I did.

That whole post, and the only response you have is to take a single, entirely insignificant and superfluous clause and accuse me of possibly implying that I was putting words in your mouth. Accusing me, even though your actual post was just inches above mine in the screen and it would take a total and complete ignoramus to have read your post in such a way as to have included any such idea as was included in said clause in your statement.

sleepy.gif Suddenly I remember why nothing ever gets done around here, and why I just dropped this forum for two years only to see very little done on my return.

Okay then, why do *you* think that, if there are indeed a lot of astral entities out there, GM's just don't use them? And, if it's true that GMs don't use the astral entities that do exist, how will adding more varieties of astral entity encourage GMs to start using them in the first place? The above clause, which I certainly don't want to give you credit for, sums up why I don't think it'll work; why do you think it will?
Kagetenshi
I personally believe that, in addition to it being too bothersome to use them, part of the problem is that the astral isn't really presented as a dangerous place to go a-wandering—there are astral nasties, but nothing, IIRC, that suggests that you should be meeting them if you take a jaunt around Seattle on ye olde Astral Plane.

~J
tisoz
About 2 decades ago, a guy was telling me about really astrally projecting. I don't think I really believed him. Something that came out of the discussion was him saying there were astral demons that once you showed you were aware of them became quite aware of you, even so far as being told of their existence. Remember, I didn't really believe him, but I started looking for those demons and they scared the hell out of me.

Now take this idea and apply it to Shadowrun. When the character astrally projects, it is like they have astral goo clinging to their boots that the astral entities can easily track. Even perceiving marks the magician with the scent of the astral and leaves his scent upon the astral. Then I realized the game has something similar already in place, Astral Signature and astral trail. Use these tools more. Have the astral entities interested in them, too, not just law enforcement or the guys you just riled up. A free spirit shadow or trickster should be quite interested in astrally active targets.

Background count doesn't get used as much as it probably should.

Or create a few astral only beings that are just terribly frightening. The oceans conceal things like megalodons, kraken, and sea serpents. I honestly think the future seas would be a scary place to cross. Make astral space scary with the threat of a few virtually unkillable entities.

There is also the use of wards. These seem to get used quite often. I think they should be used often. Imagine todays world where the government could astrally spy on you, or the deviant across the street could visit your bedroom/bathroom. Wards would be about everywhere. Not just in the most secure locations.

In summation:
1) Astral Signature
2) Astral Trail
3) Background Count
4) Existing Astral Threats
5) Potential Astral Threats
6) Wards
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 8 2007, 06:06 AM)
That whole post, and the only response you have is to take a single, entirely insignificant and superfluous clause and accuse me of possibly implying that I was putting words in your mouth.

Yes, because some of your post is just rambling. 1a and 1b look promising, but the rest will probably make the issue worse.

Like tisoz posted later, there are mechanics already in SR3, but they are underused. I cited astral nasties (and he brought in others), but GMs don't use them.

Why? Because it adds a whole new map that the GM has to plan out that may not be needed and the GM may not be as well read on the astral as a devoted mage. Astral, rigging and decking are less studied by GMs who haven't played characters of that focus simply because they are outside the regular floorplan. Integrate all three closer to the running gun battle, and it'll encourage (force) GMs to learn them as soon as a mage, decker or rigger is made.
Not all GMs are good at improvising hazards and not all players are good at accepting GM improv.
nezumi
I'm not actually aware of a lot of astral nasties. You have:

-Assorted 'good' spirits; elementals, nature spirits, which, AFAIK, don't bother people unless it's requested by their master
-Assorted free spirits which do whatever they please, but are tremendously rare
-Bug spirits and toxic spirits, which are tremendously rare
-Shedim (which is actually reasonably common, but only introduced in the '64 timeframe, so many of us can't use them yet)
-Assorted dual-natured creatures, which really couldn't reasonably catch someone who is astrally projecting

Am I missing something? If so, what book is it in? And which of these serve to make up an 'ecosystem'? Spirits aren't eaten, they disappear back to their metaplane when caught, and dual-natured creatures, with very, very few exceptions, can't get sustenance from an astral being. That's not an ecosystem, it's a handful of non-native, non-predatory creatures introduced from a foreign source. It's like a fish bowl.

Like Kage said, not only aren't there a lot of these creatures, there's no reason to believe they survive well in Seattle. Reading on astral travel, we're given the impression that flying from Philly to Beijing is safe and easy. That isn't a good thing! The only time astral travel becomes truly dangerous is in toxic/background count/magically natural areas like Amazonia, in places with intentionally constructed astral security, or in the metaplanes.

Like tisoz said, astral travel is based on real world ideas. However, no religion I know of that believes in astral travel believes it is so easy and convenient as what we see here. Kabbalah indicates that, while it is a tool to find enlightenment, it takes significant preparation, and the traveler is easily mislead, lost or harmed. They say time and again how dangerous it is. The native American shamanistic traditions, by and large, while including astral travel, almost require that it be highly symbolic and incredibly dangerous. People get eaten on dream quests!!! People die doing this stuff, and only under take the journey after significant preparation.

Shadowrun astral projection is the thirty second burrito of astral journeying. Quick, convenient, homogeneous and thoroughly unsatisfying.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (nezumi)
Am I missing something? If so, what book is it in?

Baba Yaga, Bean Sidhe, Brocken Bow, Corpselight, King Frost, Man-of-the-Woods, Nomad, and Tungak are all in Critters.

The two types of ghost are in MitS.

While some of them have clear situations that define when and how they will most often be encountered, I am not aware of any book that actually indicates they are tremendously rare beyond the somewhat limited encounter locations.

Part of the issue is that these are not tame, and would not be encountered on corp property if the corp has any say. To keep them off would require more wards and patrolling tame spirits.

There is a definite issue that the astral is not described as a hazardous place, and I do support fixing that notion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012