Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions for SR4 Arsenal
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
maeel
yah, yah, yah, everybody thinks that newbie.gif maeel goes for the vehicle rules again, BUT nay.... he is not....

There are a couple of things in SR3 that were pure bullshit, let's make sure they get fixed...

1.) Assault and Autocannons. IMO we are talking about weapons with a caliber of 20mm to 30mm. Of course one can fire slugs with them, but normally these weapons fire explosive rounds, which are either armor piercing (AP), high explosive (HE) or high explosive incendinary (HEI). Allthough this problem could be fixed with houserules, i'd like to these changes make it into the arsenal. More lethality, Yay! devil.gif

2.) Miniguns and max.firerate. with the introduction of HV-weapons, miniguns became obsolete. HV weapons had a higher firerate (18 rounds per complexaction) and could mount more equipment. My suggestion would be to make miniguns fast firing autocannons (man portable miniguns are nonsense). Problem solved, and more lethality, Yay! devil.gif

3.) Launchsystems. In SR3 they used up firm- (medium) and hardpoints (heavy), which made it impossible to create, for example, a Littlebird Helicopter.
Littlebirds are used by the US Military and are equipred with two fixed forward medium or heavy MGs and a missile pod on each pylon.
It should also be kept in mind that todays jetfighters can engage up to nine targets (as far as i know) simultaniously. With the SR3 rules this is not possible.
I would recommend that launchsystems don't use hard- and firmpoints, but instead the costs should be increased, which would also reflect the fact that they have to be connected with sensors....

thats it for now...
hobgoblin
is this the littlebird your talking about?
http://www.janes.com/defence/land_forces/g...ery/21a22.shtml

if so yes, there was a distinct lack of those kinds of helicopters in SR3 and rigger3...
hahnsoo
Yeah... something that is bigger than a Wasp/Yellowjacket, but smaller than, say, an Ares Dragon. smile.gif
maeel
detailed information on the littlebird:

littlebird

another thing that bothers me, is the amount of mounting points for hand weapons.
larger rifle weapons should have two underbarrel mounts.

also, i think that every weapon should be capable of mounting a folding or fixed stock. ok,ok, holdouts and light pistols, well lets just it would look kinda weird, but hey if u've got a strength of 1.....
hobgoblin
hmm, now that i think about it, isnt that helo allso used as the kiowa spotter for apache's?

as for underbarrel mounts. outside of a lasersight i dont recall seeing anything in SR thats so small and dont have to have clear line of sight forward that you can mount it behind something else. now if your talking side by side then maybe.

as for the stock, look in cannon companion. one of the customizations are the fitting of a stock. available to anything bar a rifle or shotgun wink.gif
maeel
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, now that i think about it, isnt that helo allso used as the kiowa spotter for apache's?

as for underbarrel mounts. outside of a lasersight i dont recall seeing anything in SR thats so small and dont have to have clear line of sight forward that you can mount it behind something else. now if your talking side by side then maybe.

as for the stock, look in cannon companion. one of the customizations are the fitting of a stock. available to anything bar a rifle or shotgun wink.gif

nope, the kiowa is a different helicopter:
Kiowa Warrior

and yes, i knew that with the stock, but as a matter of fact, it gives smg's LMGs, MMGs and HMGs one additional recoil compensation point, but leaves ARs and shotguns out. just doesn't make sense.....
hobgoblin
err, i think that the SR MG's use hip brace rather then stock so...

ok, i know its silly as the usual image of a LMG is a soldier prone, with the weapon supported by a bipod. i guess they are going for the rambo style wink.gif

and no wonder i confused the kiowa with the littlebird. only real diff is the front windows as the kiowa have a small snout that dont allow for a all glass front. other then that it looks the be the same basic frame...

hmm, maybe someone with SR4 could check to see if any of the helicopters included there are smaller then say a blackhawk without being a autogyro. if not then they should realy include atleast one in arsenal...
maeel
or they should include vehicle design rules, oh crap, here i go again... biggrin.gif

the bipod is also the reason for me to ask for two underbarrel mounts, one for the bipod and one for the foregrip... like it is with the M249SAW
TheNarrator
QUOTE (maeel)
and yes, i knew that with the stock, but as a matter of fact, it gives smg's LMGs, MMGs and HMGs one additional recoil compensation point, but leaves ARs and shotguns out. just doesn't make sense.....

You can't mount a stock to a weapon that already has one, obviously. I think most of the assault rifles in SR are assumed to have a built in stock that doesn't count for recoil comp, because you're assumed to always be using it.

On the other hand, weapons with built-in stocks like ARs and shotguns can mounts pads on the end, which also give one point of recoil comp.

Personally, I always found it wierd that you couldn't mount both a foregrip under the grenade launcher, even tho the weapon pictured in the assault rifle section of the Cannon Companion appeared to have both. biggrin.gif

In the case of the M-249 SAW having both a bipod and a foregrip... perhaps the number of mounting points shouldn't matter for weapons with the accessories built in? I doubt there's any reason I couldn't mount a flashlight under the barrel of an MP-5K (which has a built-in foregrip), right?
Fresno Bob
Well, if the stock on a shotgun doesn't give an RC, how does that account for the folding stock on the SPAS-22?
Kagetenshi
We don't talk about that.

~J
Sabosect
The SPAS-22 is just a violation.

Now then, as for portable miniguns: Why not? With the materials available in even 40 years, it would be perfectly feasible to build a minigun that is light enough to be carried into battle.
TheNarrator
I guess I always thought of the SPAS-22 as an exception. Considering that all non-heavy weapons in SR have the same recoil per shot, I guess I always figured that the built in stocks were supposed to balance the greater recoil of rifle and shotgun rounds. But that's just my personal quirk. smile.gif

I think the problem most people point to in man-portable mini-guns is not the weight but the recoil. Making it lighter would actually probably make the problem worse. I seem to recall hearing that the one Jesse Ventura used in "Predator" had been de-powered (the rotation slowed and short rounds used) and still special measures were required to keep him on his feet.

Actually, I might as well just dig up the reference on the IMDb.....

The weapon Blain (Jesse Ventura) is using is a minigun. This is a weapon most commonly mounted on the side of a helicopter (or an aircraft carrier) and many, many modifications had to be made to make it useable in the film. It was powered via an electrical cable hidden down the front of Blain's trousers. Despite firing blanks, the actor had to wear a bulletproof vest to protect him from the violently ejecting cartridges. Had he been using live ammunition, the recoil would have been approximately 110 kg sideways force - about the same as lying on your back and trying to push an American football player into the air. Ammo for the 20-second firing sequence would have been 2,000 rounds x 12.5 grams per bullet = 25kg, all of which had to be carried in Ventura's backpack. Since the movie was made, a model of this weapon has been designed, changing the caliber and exchanging the electric motor for a 2 cycle gas engine, similiar to that of a weed-eater. It has never entered service in any armed forces, since the weapon is excessively heavy and impractical in an infantry role.

Maybe for trolls?
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (maeel)
1.) Assault and Autocannons. IMO we are talking about weapons with a caliber of 20mm to 30mm. Of course one can fire slugs with them, but normally these weapons fire explosive rounds, which are either armor piercing (AP), high explosive (HE) or high explosive incendinary (HEI). Allthough this problem could be fixed with houserules, i'd like to these changes make it into the arsenal. More lethality, Yay! devil.gif

I guess I always thought of the SPAS-22 as an exception. Considering that all non-heavy weapons in SR have the same recoil per shot, I guess I always figured that the built in stocks were supposed to balance the greater recoil of rifle and shotgun rounds. But that's just my personal quirk. smile.gif

alright i know i am responding to two different people but sorry

as for the assault cannons, the ammo has always been treated as armor piercing unless it was an AV round....i dont mean to sound nasty, but read the rules more carefully next time, unless of course this was changed in SR4, in which case i will shoot the idiot out of an 155 howitzer myself

the reason the spass 22 has extra recoil comp for its stock and the other shotguns dont is that it has a FOLD OUT STOCK, think the shotgun being used by the game keeper in the first jurrasic park when he gets jumped by the raptors

and i appologize if i sound a bit snitty, but i am wide awake after 19 hours of being awake and no idea if i will be able to fall asleep tonight

Birdy
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Well, you might get in a situation where you need to mate an Ares Alpha with a flamethrower and as every rules-lawyer will tell you, that's not possible under current rules.

Poor lil Newt... biggrin.gif

Birdy
hobgoblin
lets just hope that they are able to keep arsenal a bit more selfconsistent then what fasa produced at times. or maybe thats why they are dumping the design rules from everywhere. as the desgin rules are most likely not used on the grear in the BBB and may not be used on all the stuff in the same book as the rules then its basicly no use for them as people cant look at said gear and go aha...
Triggerz
QUOTE (Birdy)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 28 2005, 07:03 PM)

Well, you might get in a situation where you need to mate an Ares Alpha with a flamethrower and as every rules-lawyer will tell you, that's not possible under current rules.

Birdy

Wouldn't a flamethrower be a risky thing to have next to a grenade launcher? The grenades might not like the surrounding atmospheric conditions all that much. grinbig.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Yes, the plastic explosive might... burn? emit unhealthy fumes? the optronik fuse would stop functioning? wink.gif

BTW: What shouldn't be missed in are Arsenal Decots (realistic Human Drones) and Landmates (Exosuits). cyber.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Triggerz)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Aug 29 2005, 03:48 AM)

Birdy

Wouldn't a flamethrower be a risky thing to have next to a grenade launcher? The grenades might not like the surrounding atmospheric conditions all that much. grinbig.gif

If the heat is radiating back that much the shooter better be wearing her SP 500 sunblock, tinfoil hat, and Nomex III thong.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Birdy @ Aug 29 2005, 10:48 AM)

sounds like a very bulky setup.
i find it unlikely that something like this would show up in anything but the hands of a troll. and if so he may as well get it custom buildt from the ground up. alltho not supported, i would allow it out of the sheer insanity and the liability it would be. basicly any time he showed of this monster in front of a camera any investigator would do the rounds, looking for a troll with a custom made rile/grenade/flamer combo. still, it sounds like something that best belongs in the hands of a warhammer 40k terminator rather then a SR troll wink.gif

hmm, only place i recall seeing anything similar was the sega console game based on the film aliens3. but even in said movie there was nothing even close to similar.

i hate to ask this but can anyone point me to a real life setup where there are two underbarrel mounts side by side similar to what birdy talks about? as in one that is more then a prototype or a proof of concept. something that may actualy get issued to soldiers...

and while on the topic of underbarrel mounts. i would love to see a underbarrel shotgun so that i can make my variant of the masterkey love.gif

and about that forgrip under a grenade launcher on a picture. i would not care as thats just another proof that artists have a licence to go outside the rules. hell, some of those guns pictured looks to be anything but useable in their primary role.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Sabosect)
The SPAS-22 is just a violation.

Now then, as for portable miniguns: Why not? With the materials available in even 40 years, it would be perfectly feasible to build a minigun that is light enough to be carried into battle.

The answer is time, mass, signature, power source and recoil.

The minigun uses an electric motor to spool up the (six!) barrels, feed the weapon ammunition and eject the empty casings. With those barrels spinning around at 1000rpm you're gonna make a very loud whirring noise, kinda like a blender running in open air, that's a noise signature. And if you think you can wait until you have a target first, think again. Your hangtime from pulling the trigger to getting bullets out at a worthwhile cyclic rate from a dead stop is about a second. Or in other words.... too long.

The battery you need to run this weapon for any appreciable amount of time will weigh a fair bit, the weapon, held in hand will generate a lot of heat and make a nice big thermal signature for the guy waiting at a safe distance, a nice big thermal sig that your optics won't be able to see through worth a damn. The weapon does not have any reciprocating parts and fires at a cyclic anywhere between 2000-6000 Rounds Per Minute (any less and you're better off bringing an MG3 or an HK21E which weighs a LOT less and doesn't need a battery!) so you're gonna need a little red wagon to carry any more than 20 seconds worth of ammo (2000 rounds, if I know you guys). Oh, did I forget to mention that cyclic rate of 2000-6000 is gonna kick? A LOT.

The minigun will not make an appearance in my game unless it is tacked onto a quadruped (at least) drone or on a vehicle capable of handling the deployment of such a weapon.

Eddie Furious
One thing to note, the "Assault Cannon" does exist. Google XM109 Payload Delivery Weapon System.
Darkness
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
<snip>The battery you need to run this weapon for any appreciable amount of time will weigh a fair bit<snip>

Well, at least this one shouln't be a problem. Since SR already has man portable weapon-class laser-systems, which should need similar batteries at least.
morlock76
Miniguns as they exist now are basically obsolete anyway.

There is an electrically fired gun in the BBB afaik, but that is, of course, a VERY limited use of such marvelous tech.

I looked into Metalstorm a bit, the videos were MORE then evil.

Quote taken from the Video Section:
240,000rpm:
Repeatable Access Denial System (RADS) firing 15 x 40mm inert grenade rounds at 240,000 rounds per minute.

Guns.ru lists Minigun RPM at
up to 10000

Unfortunately such a "barrel block" is no way as cool as running around with a Minigun ...
hobgoblin
one problem with metalstorm is reloading.

a minigun can be reloaded just like a machinegun. add on more belts of ammo.

with metal storm you at best have to replace the barrels, at worst i guess you have to replace the whole gun nyahnyah.gif
Oracle
Aren't both weapons designed for totally different roles? I would also assume the Metalstorm system to be the much more expensive weapon...
morlock76
Afaik the only role Miniguns are used today is in situations where your either moving a lot and / or trying to hit a highly mobile target like:

1) Missile Defense on Ships
2) Mobile Air Defense
3) Short Range Aerial Combat
4) Fire Support (usually from an aircraft / helicopter)

All those enviroments are pretty high tech and got not much to do with grunt work, were a "regular" MG will do more good as RPM in that high numbers is not needed and the penetration ability vs. tanks is usually pretty lousy on miniguns (except the A10 mounted one of course).

If you really need RPM, specially in Missile Defense situations, a Metalstorm will do way better due to "burst RPM". The website is very shy on reload info, so you cant really expect sustained RPM from a Metalstorm (yet?).

Just grabbing some videos to get more info on that.

The advantage of Metalstorm should be easy of handling and low production cost. You dont really need any high tech, specially no rotating barrels.

Hm, well the reload part is easy. You insert a "tube" (loaded with shells) into the barrel. The handling of that tubes may be an issue as they would get pretty long and thin, not as nice as the clips we have now.
In the 40mm grenade video there seemed to be 4 grenades / tube, dunno how much you could load into a regular caliber tube.

Its WAY more comlicated then belt feed for sure...

Edit: Can anyone post the rules for the "Yamaha Sakura Fubuki" (reload, clipsize,...) please?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
The minigun uses an electric motor to spool up the (six!) barrels, feed the weapon ammunition and eject the empty casings. With those barrels spinning around at 1000rpm you're gonna make a very loud whirring noise, kinda like a blender running in open air, that's a noise signature. And if you think you can wait until you have a target first, think again. Your hangtime from pulling the trigger to getting bullets out at a worthwhile cyclic rate from a dead stop is about a second. Or in other words.... too long.

All miniguns I am aware of fire at the very instant you depress the trigger. Because of that fact alone the "noise signature" is totally insignificant -- the first shots will quite effectively drown it out @ about 150-155dB vs. less than 90.

Likewise the very first shots will already happen at a very decent RoF -- I've seen 0.4 seconds quoted as the time it takes for the M61 Vulcan to get up to full speed (4000 or 6000rpm), and in that 0.4 seconds it will already have fired something like 15-20 rounds, which means an average RoF of about 2000-3000rpm over the first 0.4 seconds and then 4000-6000rpm after that. And that's a 20mm cannon, a 7.62mm vehicle-mounted minigun (such as the M134) should accelerate quite a bit faster.

I absolutely am not supporting the use of man-portable miniguns. There are plenty of other downsides, which I've went through before, at least in this thread.

As for MetalStorm, reloading is not the only problem it has. Accuracy will be pretty much crap, and the external ballistics of the first round fired out of the tube will be wildly different from that of the last round. If there's a jam or other problem, at the very least you have one whole tube which must be replaced before it can fire. Also, in calibers around 20mm to 30mm, it would be just too big to be mounted on helicopters, fighters or other smaller aircraft for ground attack/aerial combat.

Still, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that MetalStorm-like weapons would largely replace minigun-based shipboard (and possibly also some static and mobile ground-based) close air defence systems.
Nukefaith
In the case of the M-249 SAW having both a bipod and a foregrip... perhaps the number of mounting points shouldn't matter for weapons with the accessories built in? I doubt there's any reason I couldn't mount a flashlight under the barrel of an MP-5K (which has a built-in foregrip), right?

Your are right! Everybody is using a rail system, where you can mount a lot of things. But if you want that, go and play airsoft!

In shadowrun this is not neccessary and the balance is better without! Such a rail system would make weapon handling more complicated to play. everything you need on a weapon is some sort if sight, a quick detachable can/silencer and a strong light to blind your opponent. so here we are at my suggestions for SR4.

A powerful weapon mounted light, to temporarily blind your enemy.
a houserule let it work like a superflash within SR3 or like a normal torch. the light runs with a battery which will spent normal light for around 60 minutes or for four flashes each costs 15 minutes of battery lifetime and every use of the flash could possibly burn the bulb out so the GM through a dice everytime i used it and when it turned a one or a six the bulb was defect.
also this weapon light was restricted for law enforcement and military and so the replacement bulbs were hard to get.

The other suggestion i have would be the possibility to mount the ammunition pouches directly to an armor vest with plates or something similar.

so in general in SR4 Arsenal i wish to find:

-some kind of weapon light
( Inspiration: #1 ; #2 ; #3 ; #4 )

- Armor with mounting possibilities for equipment and ammunition pouches.

just my 2 cents. let me know what you guys think!

regards,

nuke
maeel
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)

as for the assault cannons, the ammo has always been treated as armor piercing unless it was an AV round....i dont mean to sound nasty, but read the rules more carefully next time, unless of course this was changed in SR4, in which case i will shoot the idiot out of an 155 howitzer myself

SR3 core doesn't say anything about assault cannon rounds being armor piercing...

besides i maybe should have been more precise, the AP rounds i mean utilize a shapecharge to penetrate vehicle armor, so they would be the equivalent of AV rounds. The actually point i wanted to make was that all assault cannon rounds should be treated like grenades meaning that they damage the surroundings of the impact point due to explosive fragmentation.

As for the stock of shotguns and AR, what bothered me was that you coudn't add it at weapon construction, while the frames don't provide recoil comp.

The idea, that for example a SMG has a smaller recoil than an assault rifle is simply not true..... MP5 9mm has a much stronger recoil than an AR using 5.56mm rounds...

man portable miniguns, well the problem with realism has already been addressed, but there is also a problem regarding the rules. if one can buy a HV-LMG, why should someone buy a minigun, it has a smaller fire rate, less mounts, requires a prefire spin-up.............

and the metalstorm weapons, well 240.000 rounds per minute, are only achieved mathematically, the weapon doesn't have enough ammunition to fire for one minute.

two underbarrel mounts make sense (e.g.: flashlight and laser mounted under barrel of MP5), however a grenade launcher and a flamer..? No, it sounds cool, but no...

another thing i want to see changed are max. fire ranges for portable missile. systems portable by one man only usually have a max. range of 800m (except anti air, like stinger), while two men portable systems have longer ranges.
hobgoblin
-some kind of weapon light

you can find this in cannon companion, so i have a feel it should allso be available in arsenal. alltho i dont know about that glare effect...

- Armor with mounting possibilities for equipment and ammunition pouches.

while not exactly in combo with armor, sota63 had web gear that allowed for pouches. so again it should be fairly easy to port over. hmm, those had a rule against being used with security or military armor. but stuff like that can be overruled by a gm if he feels like it.

as for that forgrip and bipod combo. i recall seeing images of WW2 MG soldiers using the bipod as a improvised forgrip. basicly fold the legs down but not spread them. then grip said legs. the gm could allow for a similar stance to have the same effects as a forgrip without having to actualy add one...
Birdy
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

i find it unlikely that something like this would show up in anything but the hands of a troll. and if so he may as well get it custom buildt from the ground up. alltho not supported, i would allow it out of the sheer insanity and the liability it would be. basicly any time he showed of this monster in front of a camera any investigator would do the rounds, looking for a troll with a custom made rile/grenade/flamer combo. still, it sounds like something that best belongs in the hands of a warhammer 40k terminator rather then a SR troll wink.gif

hmm, only place i recall seeing anything similar was the sega console game based on the film aliens3. but even in said movie there was nothing even close to similar.

Actually this is THE weapon for the bug hunting female. Granted, it requires the use of duct tape and a rather large femal. biggrin.gif

In the scene where Ripley goes after Newt in the Athmo processor, she tapes a flamethrower to an M41 rifle. That in turn is "A 10mm caseless assault rifle with a 4 shot grenade launcher in an over and under configuration" biggrin.gif

Birdy
maeel
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Yes, the plastic explosive might... burn? emit unhealthy fumes? the optronik fuse would stop functioning? wink.gif

BTW: What shouldn't be missed in are Arsenal Decots (realistic Human Drones) and Landmates (Exosuits). cyber.gif

oh yay, landmates (appleseed ?!?), actually it is possible to create one with SR3 Rigger, use a large anthroform drone.
Rotbart van Dainig
AppleSeed, indeed. wink.gif

As SR4 probably won't have a system to create vehicles, it would be nice to have a template at least - building it oneself wouldn't work that well.
(It didn't in SR3, too - problems with load and space)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Birdy)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 29 2005, 09:58 AM)

Actually this is THE weapon for the bug hunting female. Granted, it requires the use of duct tape and a rather large femal. biggrin.gif

In the scene where Ripley goes after Newt in the Athmo processor, she tapes a flamethrower to an M41 rifle. That in turn is "A 10mm caseless assault rifle with a 4 shot grenade launcher in an over and under configuration" biggrin.gif

bingo, duct tape. alltho i confess that i must have missed that scene. or forgotten about it...

anyways, thats not a proper solution. and could be pulled of in SR if you want to wink.gif (i recall reading a entry for duct tape somewhere)

hell, duct tape a shotgun to the setup at the same time and load it with slugs silly.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (maeel)
The idea, that for example a SMG has a smaller recoil than an assault rifle is simply not true..... MP5 9mm has a much stronger recoil than an AR using 5.56mm rounds...

To quote Jon Stewart: "Whaaaaa?"
9x19mm M882 NATO Ball, 112gr projectile at ~1350fps with 6gr propellant out of an MP5A3 (2.88kg/6.35lbs) -> recoil energy of 1.4ft-lbs at 3.7fps, recoil impulse of 0.78lbs/s
5.56x45mm M855 NATO Ball, 62gr projectile at ~3025fps with 26.1gr propellant out of an M16A2 (3.77kg/8.31lbs) -> recoil energy of 4ft-lbs at 5.6fps, recoil impulse of 1.3lbs/s

QUOTE (Birdy)
[...] an M41 rifle. That in turn is "A 10mm caseless assault rifle with a 4 shot grenade launcher in an over and under configuration" biggrin.gif

Or, alternatively, "A Thompson M1 SMG with lots of plastic crap tacked on". wink.gif
Clyde
The current miniguns were originally built for use from aircraft. People had actually had the idea of powering a gatling gun with a gasoline engine in the early days of the 20th century, but no one could think of an application where you needed that many rounds per minute.

MetalStorm technology ought to be more reliable than standard firearms, provided the ammunition has sufficiently good quality control. Almost all of the jams in current weapons are caused by a failure to extract an empty casing (no problem, MetalStorm has no casings) or a failure to feed a new round due to a defective/damaged magazine (MetalStorm has no mags). Dirt, dust or carbon fouling can also be a problem (especially in AR-15 style weapons), but since there are no moving parts in a MetalStorm that issue doesn't come up either.

Really, all that can go wrong in a MetalStorm is some kind of circuitry glitch, battery problems or low grade ammo. Come to think, that's plenty enough. On the other hand, if one barrel jams you still have as many as 35 others (depending upon model) to take up the slack . . .

Personally, I'd like to see the hand carried miniguns just go away. Hell, I've only seen one used once in an SR game and I was using it (didn't like it either). The assault cannons make more sense . . .
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Clyde)
MetalStorm technology ought to be more reliable than standard firearms, provided the ammunition has sufficiently good quality control.

Then it's a good thing for non-MetalStorm firearms manufacturers that MS is not ever going to replace "standard" firearms in any significant degree. Modern miniguns (which could be said to be partly competing with MetalStorm weapons), unlike most more conventional firearms, have excellent reliability records -- the above-mentioned M134 has an incredible 30,000 mean rounds before failure average.
maeel
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (maeel)

To quote Jon Stewart: "Whaaaaa?"
9x19mm M882 NATO Ball, 112gr projectile at ~1350fps with 6gr propellant out of an MP5A3 (2.88kg/6.35lbs) -> recoil energy of 1.4ft-lbs at 3.7fps, recoil impulse of 0.78lbs/s
5.56x45mm M855 NATO Ball, 62gr projectile at ~3025fps with 26.1gr propellant out of an M16A2 (3.77kg/8.31lbs) -> recoil energy of 4ft-lbs at 5.6fps, recoil impulse of 1.3lbs/s

i wasn't talking about the recoil in terms of math, but more from personal experience MP5 versus G36. Keep in mind that length and weight of the barrel play an improtant role, since they negate recoil.

But believe me, you can easily fire a G36 with stock folded, and its no problem with its recoil....

A MP5 allthough being a very accurate weapon, is not so easy to handle without stock...

but we are getting off topic......

but most importantly there are also SMG with caliber 5.56
Sabosect
Okay, time to deal with each objection over a minigun, in order.

1) Weight- As I mentioned, this is dealt with using lightweight materials.

2) Recoil- This is SR. I've built assault rifles using SR3 that are recoilless until the 10th bullet. Install a specialized recoil compensation system. Not that hard. If you think it is, you can work with the bullets or firing mechanism.

3) Battery weight- Not a problem. Look at the portable lasers.

4) Noise- It's a fragging minigun! If you're trying to sneak around with it, you're doing something wrong.

5) Time until firing- As someone else mentioned, quite a few modern miniguns fire right at or very close to the time the trigger is pulled.

6) Ammo- This has been dealt with. It's reloaded much the same way any belt-fed gun is. Or, you can use one with magazines (incorrectly called clips in SR).

7) Purpose- This has been one most people are missing, and it's too obvious for such to be excuseable. Basically, the minigun would be, as a tactical weapon, quite simple. Since you really probably are not going to be that accurate with it anyways, it's primary use would be surpressive fire. With the noise and distraction created, it allows for troops with smaller handguns to potentially get better shots and not have to worry about people trying to shoot back at them. It can also be used on large crowds if needed. Loaded with gel rounds, it would be the ultimate anti-riot weapon, as any rioter not subdued by the rounds would flee in terror.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (maeel)
i wasn't talking about the recoil in terms of math

When making categorical statements and putting them out as fact, it is, generally speaking, better to go with math than with personal experience.

QUOTE (maeel)

That depends on definitions. For most people, a submachine gun is defined by the fact that it fires a pistol-caliber round, and a shortened assault rifle is called a carbine. Some call particularly small carbines (like the HK53) SMGs, while a few even call AK-47s SMGs -- I'd like to call this simply wrong use of the words, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to make such judgments, not being a native English speaker.

Or did you mean that there are SMGs that don't fire the 5.56x45mm/.223 Remington, but some other cartridge that takes a bore diameter of ~5.6mm?
hobgoblin

showoff silly.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Sabosect)
1) Weight- As I mentioned, this is dealt with using lightweight materials.

Judging by the weights of firearms in the Shadowrun world, these "lightweight materials" do not exist there.

QUOTE (Sabosect)
2) Recoil- This is SR.

Right. And we can make the exact same argument about anything and everything. "Man-portable antimatter cannons not feasible? This is SR!"

QUOTE (Sabosect)
Install a specialized recoil compensation system. Not that hard. If you think it is, you can work with the bullets or firing mechanism.

Apparently it is that hard, considering that nobody has even made a theoretical system which would allow you to reduce the recoil of a man-portable minigun to such a level that firing it without a heavy harness or on the move would be feasible.

I agree on points 3, 4, and 5, and would like to point out that it's more like "all" and not "quite a few", and also that in those cases it's always "right at".

QUOTE (Sabosect)
6) Ammo- This has been dealt with. It's reloaded much the same way any belt-fed gun is. Or, you can use one with magazines (incorrectly called clips in SR).

It's not that the feed mechanism of a minigun somehow makes it difficult to make one man-portable, it's the ammunition weight that's the problem. At 100 rounds per second, a common minigun cyclic RoF, you're firing away 1kg of ammunition (assuming ultra-lightweight rounds, like polymer-cased 5.56mm) per second. To get the same amount of sustained fire support as a current US Army automatic rifleman with his M249 and 600-800 ready rounds, you'd have to carry in excess of 50kg cartridges alone.

QUOTE (Sabosect)
Since you really probably are not going to be that accurate with it anyways, it's primary use would be surpressive fire. With the noise and distraction created, it allows for troops with smaller handguns to potentially get better shots and not have to worry about people trying to shoot back at them.

Let's make one thing clear: A minigun has absolutely no business being used where the primary weapon of most combatants is a handgun. Miniguns and handguns are on completely different levels of armament.

In an infantry fire support role, the minigun would actually be used like a HMG and would thus not be "man-portable" in the normal sense it's used especially in RPGs. A minigun can only realistically be fired from around the hip with a heavy harness while standing up (which is, as I'm sure you realize, a great way to get killed fast in a battlefield) or from a tripod.

QUOTE (Sabosect)
Loaded with gel rounds, it would be the ultimate anti-riot weapon, as any rioter not subdued by the rounds would flee in terror.

A 5.56x45mm - 7.62x51mm minigun loaded with gel rounds would kill people dead. There's a reason why less-lethal ammunition only really exists for shotguns and larger-bore weapons. Gel-rounds, as they are presented in SR, are completely unfeasible in any high-velocity rifle caliber weapon.

Although you are correct that anyone left alive after the initial bursts with the minigun would absolutely flee in terror, only most people (excluding maniac dictators) would think that's not a very good way to deal with riots. And it'd be a moot point anyway, since in an anti-riot role it would still be mounted on a vehicle, or possibly on some other kind of heavy mount.
Sabosect
Judging by the weights of firearms in the Shadowrun world, these "lightweight materials" do not exist there.

Which is ironic, considering two of the weapons options in SR3 involve light-weight materials.

Right. And we can make the exact same argument about anything and everything. "Man-portable antimatter cannons not feasible? This is SR!"

It helps if you bother to take the entire point in context. The part that comes after is kinda important.

Apparently it is that hard, considering that nobody has even made a theoretical system which would allow you to reduce the recoil of a man-portable minigun to such a level that firing it without a heavy harness or on the move would be feasible.

To be honest, it strikes me as more of a "stand there and shoot" weapon. Even with the reduced weights I'm comming up with, you're still talking about a very large weapon that you require a harness for.

I agree on points 3, 4, and 5, and would like to point out that it's more like "all" and not "quite a few", and also that in those cases it's always "right at".

Hmm. Corrections noted.

It's not that the feed mechanism of a minigun somehow makes it difficult to make one man-portable, it's the ammunition weight that's the problem. At 100 rounds per second, a common minigun cyclic RoF, you're firing away 1kg of ammunition (assuming ultra-lightweight rounds, like polymer-cased 5.56mm) per second. To get the same amount of sustained fire support as a current US Army automatic rifleman with his M249 and 600-800 ready rounds, you'd have to carry in excess of 50kg cartridges alone.

Which is different from any other heavy weapon that is portable in SR and uses belts how? If it's that bad, use smaller bullets. You're basically just spraying an area anyway.

Let's make one thing clear: A minigun has absolutely no business being used where the primary weapon of most combatants is a handgun. Miniguns and handguns are on completely different levels of armament.

In an infantry fire support role, the minigun would actually be used like a HMG and would thus not be "man-portable" in the normal sense it's used especially in RPGs. A minigun can only realistically be fired from around the hip with a heavy harness while standing up (which is, as I'm sure you realize, a great way to get killed fast in a battlefield) or from a tripod.

The point of firing it is "distract the enemy and make them wish you were dead" with the hopes your teammates keep you alive. Besides, I was using an oversimplification in my statements.

A 5.56x45mm - 7.62x51mm minigun loaded with gel rounds would kill people dead. There's a reason why less-lethal ammunition only really exists for shotguns and larger-bore weapons. Gel-rounds, as they are presented in SR, are completely unfeasible in any high-velocity rifle caliber weapon.

This sounds to me like a problem you have with SR ammunition, not a problem with miniguns.

Although you are correct that anyone left alive after the initial bursts with the minigun would absolutely flee in terror, only most people (excluding maniac dictators) would think that's not a very good way to deal with riots. And it'd be a moot point anyway, since in an anti-riot role it would still be mounted on a vehicle, or possibly on some other kind of heavy mount.

Actually, I suspect the corporations would also use it as such, and possibly most SR nations. They can simply classify the riot as a terrorist action.
Arethusa
QUOTE (maeel)

When making categorical statements and putting them out as fact, it is, generally speaking, better to go with math than with personal experience.

QUOTE (maeel)

That depends on definitions. For most people, a submachine gun is defined by the fact that it fires a pistol-caliber round, and a shortened assault rifle is called a carbine. Some call particularly small carbines (like the HK53) SMGs, while a few even call AK-47s SMGs -- I'd like to call this simply wrong use of the words, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to make such judgments, not being a native English speaker.

I am a native English speaker, and though Colt hasn't figured it out yet, it's damn wrong.

While some debate still persists over the exact definition of carbine (though the most common and generally accepted definition is a shortened rifle, though still somewhat common is a fullsize rifle firing pistol ammunition), there really is no debate over the definition of submachine gun.
maeel
QUOTE (maeel)

QUOTE (maeel)

Or did you mean that there are SMGs that don't fire the 5.56x45mm/.223 Remington, but some other cartridge that takes a bore diameter of ~5.6mm?

FN P90 is one example of an SMG chambering a 5.7 projectile, personally i disagree with the term ' that the SMG's are automatic weapons, which chamber pistol rounds. The reason is that it is not so easy to determine what a pistol round is.

HK53 is a good example, i would always consider it, at least in game terms, because there are no carbines, as a SMG.

As for going with math, i never said that the 9mm round as such produces more recoil than the 223.Rem., i said that a MP5 9mm produces more recoil than a G36 does with a 5.56.
To be more specific, i was trying to make a statement about the reduction of accuracy due to the 'kicking up' of the weapon. This is what is the only thing of importance for the game.

This is why IMO AR frames should be able to mount stocks.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (maeel)
FN P90 is one example of an SMG chambering a 5.7 projectile, personally i disagree with the term ' that the SMG's are automatic weapons, which chamber pistol rounds. The reason is that it is not so easy to determine what a pistol round is.

FN Herstal itself calls the P90 a "submachine gun", and there is the FN Five-seveN pistol chambered for the same 5.7x28mm round. It is a submachine gun and is chambered for a pistol round. In this case, it clearly is very easy to determine.

QUOTE (maeel)
HK53 is a good example, i would always consider it, at least in game terms, because there are no carbines, as a SMG.

As far as SR3 is concerned, assault rifle + shortened barrel + folding/telescope stock = carbine. You could say there are no "single action revolvers" in the game either, but that doesn't mean you have to go and design some sort of break-open shotgun to simulate a Colt Single Action Army revolver. The closest you can get to a HK53-like weapon, in performance, usage, etc., in SR (or in SR3, at least) is by slightly modifying an assault rifle, not a submachine gun.

QUOTE (maeel)
As for going with math, i never said that the 9mm round as such produces more recoil than the 223.Rem., i said that a MP5 9mm produces more recoil than a G36 does with a 5.56.
To be more specific, i was trying to make a statement about the reduction of accuracy due to the 'kicking up' of the weapon.

Then I must say you have had a weird personal experience.

In simple terms:
Assume a submachine gun and an assault rifle of very similar design. They operate with the same principle (as is often true of SMGs and ARs, though not of the MP5 and the G36), they have the same kind of recoil compensation (or none at all), the same kind of furniture (stock and all), etc. Assume also that they are of the same weight (unlike in my example figures above, where the heavier weight of the M16A2 helps reduce the felt recoil).

With these weapons of similar construction, the 5.56x45mm round will recoil about 3 times as energetically and with almost twice the impulse as the 9x19mm.

This means that to have the same level of felt recoil as a 9x19mm SMG, the 5.56x45mm AR has to compensate 3 times as well for the energy of the recoil and twice as well for the impulse.

Considering that, it is not at all unrealistic to simulate these weapons in a RPG so that a basic SMG has inherently better recoil compensation when fired from the shoulder than a basic AR.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Birdy)

Heh, I thought it was righteously awesome how they made a big deal of saving her in Alien 2, but then just axed her in Alien 3. She got run over by the plot wagon.
Arethusa
stuff

I would agree. The P90 is without a doubt a submachine gun. While it fires a pistol round that is designed to be half way between a pistol round and a rifle round, it is still a pistol round, and it still fires pistol ammunition.

The HK53 is, without a doubt, a carbine. While it is a sub compact carbine and is the size of a submachine gun, it fires rifle ammunition. There is no sane defintion of a carbine in the game mechanics, but that's not exactly our fault. With much hope, the new dev team will be less astonishingly dumb this time around.

I went around looking for powder weights, but couldn't find any for NATO ammunition in order to calculate recoil for the MP5 and G36. That said, Austere's numbers are pretty good rouch estimates. The MP5 definitely recoils a lot less than anything similarly sized firing 5.56x45mm.

The inability to mount stocks on rifles is not intended to imply an absense of stocks on rifles; it's an asinine contrivance intended to imply that rifles already had them and were benefitting from them, but simply recoiled more. Again, with much hope..
maeel
FN Herstal itself calls the P90 a "submachine gun", and there is the FN Five-seveN pistol chambered for the same 5.7x28mm round. It is a submachine gun and is chambered for a pistol round. In this case, it clearly is very easy to determine.

well the only mistake in this argument is that the P90 was developed and produced before the FiveSeven, which is 5 years younger. So as a matter of fact you have a pistol here chambered for an SMG round...

plus !

QUOTE (maeel)
said that a MP5 9mm produces more recoil than a G36 does with a 5.56.

Then I must say you have had a weird personal experience.

if you quote, please do it in a manner that doesn't turn the meaning around.

To be more specific, i was trying to make a statement about the reduction of accuracy due to the 'kicking up' (climbing) of the weapon. This is what is the only thing of importance for the game.

As far as SR3 is concerned, assault rifle + shortened barrel + folding/telescope stock = carbine. You could say there are no "single action revolvers" in the game either, but that doesn't mean you have to go and design some sort of break-open shotgun to simulate a Colt Single Action Army revolver. The closest you can get to a HK53-like weapon, in performance, usage, etc., in SR (or in SR3, at least) is by slightly modifying an assault rifle, not a submachine gun.

And there precisely is the problem, because SR3 rules dont' allow a stock, no matter the kind, for ARs....

Besides, we are off topic... if you want to discuss this any further, please open a thread for it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012