Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best SR4 Assassin
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Synner667)
Hmmm..
..Interesting reading.

I do think that many of the folks here have lost sight of a rare concept that some people believe in, often known as "the character".

I personally think that an assassin who uses a high power bow is a great character, as regards character background, character development, etc.

After all, such characters exist in comics [Green Arrow, anyone ??] and their focus allows some very interesting characterisation and roleplay opps.

Also, anyone remem the magical "bow" on one of the S/Run sourcebook covers ??

Of course, the sheer dedication of that sort of character is, in my opinion, what makes a good character.

Just my tuppence worth,
Peter

thing is tho that as you say, they are in the comics.
and some (most of those that make the posts) on this board prefer their games a bit more realistic then comic books (people are freaking out over SR turning into some sort of anime game and all that).

allso, green arrow is more a trick shot and a non-"goth" variant of batman. an arrow for every problem and then some.

this however is basicly a one trick pony thats pushing the rules to their logical extreme...

basicly the concept is screaming mix-max and muchkin at setting 11 in some peoples view.

but yes, any character made can be played as more then the stats. but most often the characters thats played like that have stats and other stuff thats not pushing the edge of the rules. more often then not they are below the avarage char in stats and gear to give the player something to work with as the char evolves inside the game.

so while this can be turned into a playable charater you will get maybe 10-100 munchkin knockoffs for every good character. kinda like how every good game, movie or book spawns 100+ bad variations of the theme.
Waltermandias
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (reconsweden @ Aug 30 2005, 01:53 PM)
A high power troll bow will be made in SR just as .50BMG is sold for sporting/hunting to civilians and Smith & Wesson actually use the phrase "Ultimate Defensive Carry" when describing/marketing the S&W 500 with the 4" barrel.

Can it be done, someone will want to buy it  wink.gif

Lieb Gott! Self defense against what, land sharks?!

In defense of S&Ws crazy revolver, the site does say that it's a big game hunting gun, and I presume that the "Ultimate Defensive Carry" is meant to apply to not quite dead rhinos and such. Will someone carry a gun designed to kill buffalo around for "self-defense?" Of course they will, but I really hope that's not what the manufacturer had in mind.
hobgoblin
hmm, it makes me think of the scene in the first batman movie where the joker pulls this insane gun out of his pants...
blakkie
QUOTE (Waltermandias @ May 29 2006, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (Voorhees)
QUOTE (reconsweden @ Aug 30 2005, 01:53 PM)
A high power troll bow will be made in SR just as .50BMG is sold for sporting/hunting to civilians and Smith & Wesson actually use the phrase "Ultimate Defensive Carry" when describing/marketing the S&W 500 with the 4" barrel.

Can it be done, someone will want to buy it  wink.gif

Lieb Gott! Self defense against what, land sharks?!

In defense of S&Ws crazy revolver, the site does say that it's a big game hunting gun, and I presume that the "Ultimate Defensive Carry" is meant to apply to not quite dead rhinos and such. Will someone carry a gun designed to kill buffalo around for "self-defense?" Of course they will, but I really hope that's not what the manufacturer had in mind.

Bring out yer dead. *bang* Bring out yer dead. *bang*

Nearly 8 months dormant? spin.gif Nice to see someone using Search at least.

Anyway some people carry pistols as a quick draw, easy to carry (on horseback or sitting on a quad or just generally light weight for hiking) defense in bear country. West of here, in Banff, we've had a few cyclists near town in the national park gnawed on lately. Both grizzlies and black bears. Of course I don't think they could have be packing a pistol, this being Canada and they being in a national park. But south of the border the situation is different.

While the effectiveness of a pistol over bear spray is questionable, given some case studies done, it is definately better than trying to beat off a bear with a bicycle tire pump. And unless you have unfathomably accurate aim you'll probably want to get something that'll rip as big and deep a hole as possible in the bear.
Shrike30
The solution my parents took when they went kayaking up in the Yukon Territories were a lever-action .45-70, and a pump-action 12-gauge loaded with slugs. The Smith .500 is, more than anything else, an attempt to recover the "most powerful handgun in the world" title that powered so many sales of their .44 Magnums in the post-Dirty-Harry era.

I read a review of a double-action .454 Casull once, where the author said that "out of the 5 shooters we had out here, 4 of them said they'd rather be eaten by the bear then rapid-fire all 5 shots out of the gun." I was amused.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012