Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: SR4-First Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Wintermancer
Error noted and corrected. Instead of reposting the sheet, I just edited the one I already posted above.

Winter
Whizbang
Con Report, Day 3: Got to create my char for the game, and got to do a quick run through on game mechanics. I also got the chance to meet Nikoli and SimpleRunner. Still having a blast, will post my char when I get home tommorrow.
Slacker
Ok, I've made my final selection on players and this is going to be a large group with 7 players. In no particular order they are:

HMHVV Hunter playing a Gunslinger Adept
Whizbang playing a Hacker
Wintermancer playing a Face named Rydell Deane
Shalimar playing a Gun Bunny named Tempty Windsong
Cydric Rolfsson playing a Mystic Adept
Netlich playing a Troll Ganger
Gobogen playing a Physical Adept named Taku

Kind of surprised at the number of Adepts, but I think they're different enough that it will be ok. I'll be posting more specifics about chargen later today so we can get started with character creation for those without the book.

For those that didn't make it, I appreciate the interest, but there is only so much room in a Runner group. Feel free to lurk in the thread.
netlich
*Troll Trash Metal in the background*

"Wot? Am in! Dat's da biz!!!! WOOOHOO!!!!"

Daryll (aint that a cute name?) starts ballet dancing about very happy (exactly the opposite sentiments that his neighbours share while he dances!)....

HMHVV Hunter
Here's my character; I'll do a personality write-up later:

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
CHARACTER GENERATION
STARTING BUILDPOINTS = 400
STEP 1: Select Race

[ Spoiler ]

STEP 2: Set Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

STEP 3: Set Skills
[ Spoiler ]

STEP 4: Select Qualities (basically what Edges/Flaws were in SR3)
[ Spoiler ]

STEP 5: Set Resources and buy gear, cyber/bio ware, and lifestyle(s)
[ Spoiler ]

STEP 6: Get Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

I am not sure if it is ok to post all of that, but most of it has already been posted elsewhere in the SR4 forum. If for any reason I am told this is too much to be posted in one place, I will be removing it.

If anybody needs anything clarified, just post your questions or send me a PM. Alternatively, you can message me through AIM @
[ Spoiler ]
if you want to do it that way, send me a PM with your screename so I can add you to my Allow list.
Whizbang
Well, I'm back. Here's my character sheet.

[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
Whizbang
[ Spoiler ]
Whizbang
[ Spoiler ]
Fortune
Not to be a pain, but ...
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
Thanks for pointing that out Fortune. Somehow I just missed that.

Everybody, that means that you have more Knowledge/Language skills. The free knowledge/language skill points you get, equal to (Logic + Intuition) x 3, are on a 1 by 1 basis. It is only after you use those up that you use the BP cost for knowledge and language skills.

Whizbang, that means you still have 10 knowledge skill points you can use.
HMHVV, that means you still have 9 knowledge skill points you can use.
Wintermancer, that means you still have 1 knowledge skill points you can use, and you actually didn't use any BP points on Knowledge/language skills. So you have freed up 16BP you can do with as you please.
netlich
As I got quite a few questions on the character I post the early draft via PM slacker - did you get it?

Slacker
I got it but haven't had a chance to look it over yet. I'm am busy at work right now. Once it slows down, i'll have a look at it and either pm you comments or just post them.
Slacker
Netlich, I just sent you a PM with a few notes on your character and listing prices for the equipment you wanted.

Currently, I have character sheets (at least first drafts) from:
Shalimar
Wintermancer
HMHVV Hunter
Whizbang
Netlich

Cydric and gobogen, feel free to contact me with any questions you might have on chargen.

So far this is going rather quickly, so hopefully it won't be that much longer before we can start the actual game.
Shalimar
Is there anything else I need to do for Tempty?
Slacker
QUOTE (Shalimar)
Is there anything else I need to do for Tempty?

Nope, Tempty looks good.
gobogen
Taku
[ Spoiler ]

Slacker
gobogen
[ Spoiler ]

gobogen
Ok I've edited the original post.

I'll keep editing that post until it's completed.
Slacker
gobogen:
[ Spoiler ]
HMHVV Hunter
Any changes you think I should make, Slacker?

I admit, I was a doomsayer about SR4, but I'm intrigued just by this character creation. This is gonna be interesting...
Slacker
HMHVV
[ Spoiler ]
Wintermancer
Adjustments have been made to allocate those remaining 16 points. You can scroll up to my first sheet posting to see the edits implemented on the sheet itself. Otherwise, just view this spoiler for a quick summary of adjustments.

[ Spoiler ]

Winter
gobogen
Ok, I changed the stuff you mentionned since I agreed with it. I modified the adept powers by taking off the Improved Reflexes. Now the powers are more oriented on the defensive with the dodge kept at +4 since I really like the effect it might produce in my ennemies. I know it's geeky but it makes me think of the matrix cool.gif
Cedric Rolfsson
Slacker, I'm working the character sheet but I've got a conference on Thursday and Friday, so I won't be available for those two days. I'll try and get the character sheet posted tomorrow.

Questions:

Mystic Adept Power Costs for:

Astral perception 1 point
Increased Reflexes (1-3)
Missile Mastery
Improved Skill- Pistol .25 0r .5?
Slacker
Cedric
[ Spoiler ]
Slacker
To everybody, looks like this is coming along quite nicely and we should be able to start the actual game next week, possibly even the end of this week.
I'm liking everybody's characters and looking forward to getting the game rolling.
HMHVV Hunter
Edited my post to add some new knowledge skills and another language. Thanks for the tip Fortune smile.gif
Fortune
Slacker, I don't mean to butt in, but ...

[ Spoiler ]

I don't intend to backseat GM the game by any means. I just thought it would help avoid confusion later.
Wintermancer
QUOTE (Fortune)
Slacker, I don't mean to butt in, but ...

[ Spoiler ]

I don't intend to backseat GM the game by any means. I just thought it would help avoid confusion later.

Fraggin' backseat drivers. wink.gif LOL.

Winter
Fortune
Eh, I am really interested in this game, and just failed my Willpower test to stick my nose in.

*Wishes he had gotten off his ass and submitted a concept!*
Wintermancer
QUOTE (Fortune)
Eh, I am really interested in this game, and just failed my Willpower test to stick my nose in.

*Wishes he had gotten off his ass and submitted a concept!*

You should remember to spend Edge on those kinds of faux pas in the future. wink.gif

Winter
netlich
Okeydokey - Daryll's is done and dusted SLacker - PMed the full info to you- if it passes inspection I will copy it over here as well....Hope I haven't overdone it smile.gif

gobogen
All right.. Tell me about dodge smile.gif

If I find dodge to be not as useful as I thought, I can easily change the 2 pt to lvl 1 Improved reflexes as it was before.
Slacker
Fortune, I have no problem with you making suggestions and such. We're all new to SR4 so its good to have input.
Just don't be surprised when an NPC named Fortune shows up in the game and promptly gets slaughtered nyahnyah.gif .

I'm at work right now and actually trying to do some for a change. As soon as I get a chance, I post the info on Dodge.
Slacker
Defending against melee attacks:
[ Spoiler ]

Defending against ranged attacks:
[ Spoiler ]

Full Defense
[ Spoiler ]

Ok I guess SR4 is just more fun than actually working. smile.gif
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
netlich
Hahahaha - tell me about it - I have made my character while at work and have fibbed my project managers on the difficulties of uploading changes, bug reports and risk management while dumpshock forums is visible in the background...

(it can always be used as a Developer's Forum excuse where I am browsing for an answer!!! "No No NO - Dodge and Reaction are valid programming archetypes used in Object Oriented UML Analysis and Design! Here- read this summary on the MAtrix - the new version of Internet coming out!!! See they will bej acking through their heads soon! Razorboys? Its a slang term for Programmers who shave their beards too often!"

Hehehe! Sorry to any Project & Technical Managers out there BTW! wink.gif cool.gif
gobogen
So Dodge is mainly applicable in close combat except that I can use my Unarmed Combat skill instead and it is quite impressive in itself. So unless I go full defense/dodge all the time, there is no point in boosting my dodge skill that much, right ? .. embarrassed.gif

Although I would still get a matrix effect if I were to dodge all the time, but I'm not sure that's how my char's gonna play out. Hum... tough decision... good speed or super dodge... Both together would work the best I guess since I would dodge and lose one round per turn dodging.

Well well.. any comments on the dodge vs Improved Reflexes dilemma anyone ? Any other suggestions for my character's two adept points left ?
Slacker
gobogen, the last time you edited your original posting of the character sheet seems to have messed it up (keep in mind, Dumpshock is notoriously bad when editing posts with multiple spoilers).

I am thinking Improved Reflexes would be the better choice since it is one of very few ways a character can get multiple initiative passes. While it might be cool to have the whole Matrix thing going on if you were to use Full Defense to run up to an enemy and then kick his ass with your next available action, it probably wouldn't be as effective as you simply having multiple initiative passes.
Fortune
Improved Reflexes is a good choice, as is 4 levels of Combat Sense if you want to go the more defensive route (+4 to Reaction and Surprise tests - which includes defending against all physical attacks without having to use Full Defense).
gobogen
Hmm combat sense seems like a nice choice too, but Improved Reflexes is just better. Thanks Slacker and Fortune for the help. Character sheet now complete and ready to go.
HMHVV Hunter
Alright, here's my personality write-up:

[ Spoiler ]
HMHVV Hunter
Bumping so that this thread isn't forgotten.
Slacker
Just waiting for Cedric to finish his conference so he has time to submit a character sheet. Then we can get things rolling.
Wintermancer
Rawhide? smile.gif

Winter
HMHVV Hunter
Ok, here's what I've come up with for my character's name so far. Any of these sound like something you want to be calling out during combat? nyahnyah.gif

Osok (pronounced "ah-sook;" stands for "One Shot, One Kill")
Oska (pronounced just like it looks, also could be "Oscar;" stands for "One Shot Kill, Asshole")
Slacker
The pronunciation of Oska sounds a bit too feminine. That could just be because I remember something close to it being the name of a female character in some anime I've watched.

Since you were basing him off of the Jason Statham in the "Transporter" why not try some derivitate of Transportere or Foreigner, which he was also called in the movie. You may try looking for words in other languages (especially those your character speaks) that mean one of those.

It's of course up to you though.
HMHVV Hunter
Yeah, that thing about Oska occured to me (Asuka from Evangelion being a good example of what you mean).

Is there some sort of British slang dictionary online? Maybe I could find some ideas there.
Whizbang
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/
Wintermancer
I like Osok...

But what is the origin of this name? What culture?

Winter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012