Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible "Shiawase Decision" type incident...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Shadow
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Sep 2 2005, 12:36 PM)
So, no matter what, there is always going to be a qualification, always going to be an exception, always going to be a case where you may not like it, but it's acceptable. Don't like it? Too bad. Reality doesn't care if you like it.

Tell me the moral justification for raping a woman in a flooded city where people are starving to death? I am really interested to know in what situation this would be okay?

QUOTE (superlicious)
I am 16, but locking people in the city IS WHY THEY ARE FUCKING LOOTERS!

If they let everyone who wanted to leave, then they could shoot-to-kill looters, and I would not mind.

But if it came down to starving, or breaking into a wal-mart, I would be stealing in a second. And after I stole the food, why not get a nice, free nest egg? What is my motivation not to steal? This is a total clusterfuck and the government (State, Local, and Federal) fucked this up big.

There is no reason compelling enough to warrant the death and disease and misery that it justifies locking everyone into the city.

Superlicious,

No one was told they couldn't leave NO. They have been evacuating the city for over a week. But once the storm hit people were told to go to certain places during the storm so that they wouldn't be killed outside while trying to leave. After the flood hit it became impossible for them to leave.

No one told the people of NO to stay in their homes. I don't know where you got that idea, other than confusing what people were actually told.
Supercilious
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Sep 2 2005, 08:32 AM)
There are some things that I think you are missing, Superlicious.

First off, the order to evacuate New Orleans was sent down the pipe with short notice, but most people were actually able to get out.  Many of those that weren't able to evacuate were able to find shelter in the superdome and the civic center.  Granted, some people weren't even able to make it there.  And many of those people have already been rescued.  However, you have a rather large group of people who didn't leave or take shelter because they were too stupid/poor/lazy to do so.  It is THIS group that is causing trouble.

The NOPD and rescue workers have not had problems with people looting food and supplies.  Those people, when found, are being rescued.  The problem is with people stealing things like TVs and such, and with them committing violence against other trapped people/cops/rescue workers.

The government has NOT abandoned the people of New Orleans.  My company, working very closely with FEMA, the cops, and all levels of city, parish, state, and federal agencies, has been working around the clock for 5 days straight trying to help people.  The New Orleans Mayor himself has been out there, without sleep, without AC, doing what he can to help.  Despite what you might be hearing, everyone is working to HELP the people of New Orleans, not shoot at them.

However, some people out there aren't helping the situation.  They are shooting at police and rescue workers, they are robbing/raping/looting other poor, destitue familes that are stuck out there, and many of those same types of people have made it out of New Orleans and are doing the SAME things to outlying towns and cities even as far as here in Baton Rouge.  It's THOSE people who are hindering the rescue effort.  It's THOSE people who are causing the state leadership to get so irate and demand the federal government to send troops.  It's THOSE people that I would gladly shoot myself if they come anywhere near my home looking for what they can steal/loot.

After reading further, I saw your post.

I am now more informed, and much less militant in my views that the government screwed everyone by trapping them in the city.

I do still believe that they should let anyone that wants to leave, but I am more open to stopping looters...

I suppose killing armed looters who will not surrender/shoot the law enforcement is alright, but I would rather not anyone kill anyone. Especially no the authorities.

EDIT: Shadow, while I am not there and my only sources of information are forums and newspapers, what was this I hear about people being ordered to stand away from the police and supplies and exits at gunpoint? Was that made up?
Shadow
I think everyone would agree that they woudl hope no one gets killed. Well except the drug addicts and rapists. They can get killed.
Sabosect
QUOTE (Shadow)
So, no matter what, there is always going to be a qualification, always going to be an exception, always going to be a case where you may not like it, but it's acceptable. Don't like it? Too bad. Reality doesn't care if you like it.

Tell me the moral justification for raping a woman in a flooded city where people are starving to death? I am really interested to know in what situation this would be okay?

To be honest? I'd rather not try to answer that. It'll only piss everyone, including me, off.

But, feel free to go to those areas of Africa where something similar happens on a regular basis and asking the soldiers. Let me know how they reply.
Shadow
Just because they do it, doesn't mean there is one. There is no justification, none. These people are evil in their everyday lives, and they just are letting it take over during the disaster.

You want to know how someone handles stress and hardship? Look how they handle their everyday life. If they keep a calm head in life they will during hardship.

If your a criminal and a evil bastard in every day life, guess what, you will be in a hardship situation too.
SL James
QUOTE (Blacken)
They stopped being citizens when they started taking potshots at helicopters. They stopped being citizens when they started trucking TVs out of Wal-Mart. They are criminals in a martial law setting and there is no court proceeding or jurisdiction other than that of the military under martial law.

That's funny. I thought we lived in the United States of America, not Red China.

People in this country have Due Process rights which cannot be taken away, even if the city is in a state of emergency. Even under martial law, there is LAW with some Due Process afforded.

You're suggesting nothing less that Might Makes Right because the U.S. and law enforcement may (may) have more guns, and that allows them to do whatever the hell they want. They can't. Not here.

QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Technically, the people in NO right now DON'T have rights, because those rights cannot be enforced.

Rights are not enforced by the government. They can only be impeded or trampled on by the government.

And that is exactly what you are advocating.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Sabosect)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Sep 2 2005, 05:37 PM)

To be honest? I'd rather not try to answer that. It'll only piss everyone, including me, off.

But, feel free to go to those areas of Africa where something similar happens on a regular basis and asking the soldiers. Let me know how they reply.

I'm really not affraid of pissing anyone off, so I'll say it. It helps relieve stress and, when done as a team, provides a strengthed sense of camaraderie.

Don't just stop at Africa, however. Include Japanese soldiers during WWII, American soldiers during Veitnam, and probably soldiers of all nationalities during all conflicts ever.
Supercilious
QUOTE (Shadow)
I think everyone would agree that they woudl hope no one gets killed. Well except the drug addicts and rapists. They can get killed.

Amen to both parts of that.
Sabosect
Actually, there always has been a justification attempted. "I own her." "She's less than human." "This will teach her a lesson."

Those are just a small sample. And, yes, I'm feeling slightly sick at the thought that some perverted mind finds those words as justification. But, yes, the morality to support it does exist.
SL James
So, it's okay to trample on some people's rights because they're not you?

That makes a ton of sense.

If that's the case, then just wait. Eventually they'll get to you, too.
Shadow
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 2 2005, 02:55 PM)
I'm really not affraid of pissing anyone off, so I'll say it. It helps relieve stress and, when done as a team, provides a strengthed sense of camaraderie.

Don't just stop at Africa, however. Include Japanese soldiers during WWII, American soldiers during Veitnam, and probably soldiers of all nationalities during all conflicts ever.

Thats not a moral justification. Thats you being evil and worthy of a bullet to the head.

Moral justification for killing someone is defense. Moral justification for stealing is to save lives. That is what we are talking about. What you are talking about is not a moral justification, its a rational justification. Something to help you sleep and shave so you don't think of yourself as the bastard you are.
Sabosect
Shadow, at the end of the day, there is no difference. "Moral" justification for shooting someone in the head is pretty much the same as rational justification. It's just to help you sleep at the end of the day.
Supercilious
Or convince the others to let you sleep, instead of stringing you up.
hyzmarca
Okay, moral justification. My men fight better when they are sexually satisfied. When they fight better they are less likely to die and more likely to win. My men and I are fighting for justice and liberty. If we win everyone will be happier and if we lose everyone will suffer.

The needs of the many outweight the needs of th eone and the needs of the many are best served through this particular act of rape.

Of course, that moral justification is best used if you are an Utilitarian.

Here is another one. God told me to. That always works. God is always morally right.

Arethusa
QUOTE (Shadow @ Sep 2 2005, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 2 2005, 02:55 PM)

Thats not a moral justification. Thats you being evil and worthy of a bullet to the head.

Moral justification for killing someone is defense. Moral justification for stealing is to save lives. That is what we are talking about. What you are talking about is not a moral justification, its a rational justification. Something to help you sleep and shave so you don't think of yourself as the bastard you are.

Shadow, I am getting the impression you don't understand the difference between morals, mores, and ethics.

Nor have any concept of these vary in different social groups.
Shadow
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Okay, moral justification. My men fight better when they are sexually satisfied. When they fight better they are less likely to die and more likely to win. My men and I are fighting for justice and liberty. If we win everyone will be happier and if we lose everyone will suffer.

The needs of the many outweight the needs of th eone and the needs of the many are best served through this particular act of rape.

Here is another one. God told me to. That always works. God is always morally right.

Again that is not moral justification. That is rational justification. I'll say it again, there is no, nor has there ever been, a moral justification for rape.
Sabosect
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 2 2005, 03:09 PM)

Again that is not moral justification. That is rational justification. I'll say it again, there is no, nor has there ever been, a moral justification for rape.

Shadow, you are failing to realize the important item: Rational justification is justification based on facts or thought-out processes. Moral justification is something intended to help you sleep at night. In most cases, they are the same thing.
Shadow
QUOTE (Arethusa)

No I do, we just operate from fundamentally different perspectives. I belive in right and wrong, I believe in a just and loving god, and I belive that you should always help your fellow man no matter the cost to yourself. You should only kill in service to your country, and defense of your self, family, and those who are to weak to defend themselves.

You can dress up ethics, mores etc however you wat to justify actions that are wrong. But it doesn't change the fact that they are wrong. Right and Wrong is universal. I think that is where some of you disagree with me. You think right and wrong is a perception, not an absolute. When in fact it is an absolute.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Shadow)

I agree with Arethusa, you don't understand what morals are.

Because God told me to is the ultimate moral justification. If God tells you to then, by definition, it would be immoral not to do it. This, of course, assumes universal morality.

By moral realitivism, God doesn't matter, only an indiviual.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Sep 2 2005, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Sep 2 2005, 06:26 PM)

Shadow, you are failing to realize the important item: Rational justification is justification based on facts or thought-out processes. Moral justification is something intended to help you sleep at night. In most cases, they are the same thing.

Maybe it would be reasonable if there was a proven link between sexually satisfied soldiers and their fighting ability, but there isn't any conclusive evidence.

Maybe it's just my moral standpoint, hyzmarca, but saying that the act of rape is in any way justified (even in the twisted way you tried to pass off) just makes me sick, and I seriously think you could have found a better example.

Are you saying that if it boosts morale, it should be ok for U.S. soldiers to rape any Iraqi or Afghan women they come accross?
Sabosect
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Sep 2 2005, 03:25 PM)

No I do, we just operate from fundamentally different perspectives. I belive in right and wrong, I believe in a just and loving god, and I belive that you should always help your fellow man no matter the cost to yourself. You should only kill in service to your country, and defense of your self, family, and those who are to weak to defend themselves.

You can dress up ethics, mores etc however you wat to justify actions that are wrong. But it doesn't change the fact that they are wrong. Right and Wrong is universal. I think that is where some of you disagree with me. You think right and wrong is a perception, not an absolute. When in fact it is an absolute.

Shadow, do yourself a favor: Stop now. At this point, the only way you are going to get anywhere is to accept the fact that from this point on you have effectively painted a gigantic bullseye on your beliefs and that, to be frank, using them as you have is a sign you no longer have any logical ground on which to stand. You're presenting beliefs as facts, and that they are not. I believe that the world we see is a shallow representation of the entirety of it. Does that mean it's the truth? No.

Beliefs are not truths, no matter how much you wish otherwise.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Sep 2 2005, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (Shadow @ Sep 2 2005, 06:26 PM)

Maybe it would be reasonable if there was a proven link between sexually satisfied soldiers and their fighting ability, but there isn't any conclusive evidence.

Maybe it's just my moral standpoint, hyzmarca, but saying that the act of rape is in any way justified (even in the twisted way you tried to pass off) just makes me sick, and I seriously think you could have found a better example.

Are you saying that if it boosts morale, it should be ok for U.S. soldiers to rape any Iraqi or Afghan women they come accross?

From one point of view, yes. I don't enjoy that point of view. I do understand it, however.

You still have't adressed the big one. God told me to. It isn't an act of selfish violence but is instead a sacred duty. In that situation, no one could deny that it is moral.
mmu1
People should be fucking shot for trying to use relativism to win arguments...
Sabosect
Mmu1, that has got to be the funniest thing I have read all day.
Shadow
QUOTE (Sabosect)

You mean how no matter how much you wish other wise.

I never claimed that humans and morality is logical. I feel really bad for you guys. Really bad.
Cynic project
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
stupid/poor/lazy

FUCK YOU! Clumping those three words together you ignore the fact they stoped the buses before they had to. They basically said if you didn't have a car, you are stuck. Not having a car should not mean you are stuck in the middle of a storm cause people are going shut down the buses when they still have hours worth of time to pick people up and get them to safety. You don't shut down buses until there is no way the buses can go in anymore.

Futher more you can be rich stupid and lazy. You can be poor without being stupid or lazy.
Sabosect
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Sep 2 2005, 03:38 PM)

You mean how no matter how much you wish other wise.

I never claimed that humans and morality is logical. I feel really bad for you guys. Really bad.

:shakes head:

And this is why I hate it when religion starts to be used as a defense. Someone always gets all high-and-mighty and tries to make themselves out to be better than those who disagree.
toturi
QUOTE (Cynic project)
FUCK YOU! Clumping those three words together you ignore the fact they stoped the buses before they had to. They basically said if you didn't have a car, you are stuck. Not having a car should not mean you are stuck in the middle of a storm cause people are going shut down the buses when they still have hours worth of time to pick people up and get them to safety. You don't shut down buses until there is no way the buses can go in anymore.

Futher more you can be rich stupid and lazy. You can be poor without being stupid or lazy.

Hmmm? Who were driving the buses? Cops? Soldiers? Civillian drivers like all the rest of the other people they are driving to safety?

If the buses were driven by firemen/soldiers/cops(people trained to put their lives on the line), yes, evacuation till the last minute makes sense. Even if the buses were not driven by civillians, then at what time are you going to tell your people to get themselves to safety? Are you going to wait till there isn't any way out then you say enough? Then what the hell are those drivers who were sensible enough to want to get out but did not because you told them to stay?

Beliefs are truth those who belief in them. Especially if those beliefs require them to. Follower of Osama believe that America is Evil and since they believe it, you Americans are evil, Shadow(doesn't matter what you believe, apologies if Shadow is not American)
Arethusa
No, toturi, he isn't saying that. He's saying you're absolute fucking asshole if you lump stupid, poor, and lazy together as the only defining characteristics of those left behind. And, y'know, he's right.
toturi
I thought "stupid/poor/lazy" meant stupid or poor or lazy. Would it help if Ronin had posted "stupid/poor/lazy/etc"? I read Cynic's post as it doesn't matter if the people left behind somehow did not realise what a mess they were getting into, but that the mode of evacuation was not stopped just before NO became hell on earth. My post was in reply to that: how do you determine the moment just before the shit really hit the fan(so as to stop the evacuation)?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (toturi)
I thought "stupid/poor/lazy" meant stupid or poor or lazy. Would it help if Ronin had posted "stupid/poor/lazy/etc"? I read Cynic's post as it doesn't matter if the people left behind somehow did not realise what a mess they were getting into, but that the mode of evacuation was not stopped just before NO became hell on earth. My post was in reply to that: how do you determine the moment just before the shit really hit the fan(so as to stop the evacuation)?

You don't. So long as the number of drivers lost is less than the number of refugees saved its good.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Sabosect)

Well that's your belief I guess.

Hyzmarca: I can't argue with your "god" statement partly because I don't understand what you're trying to prove with it, except to say that if god were to tell me to rape a woman, that is the day I turn my back on god.

Sabosect
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Sep 2 2005, 06:38 PM)

Oh? You have something relevant to the conversation that actually makes a point in favor of the opposite of my statement that doesn't require falling onto the crutch of using religion as an excuse? If not, then don't waste the time replying.
FrostyNSO
Yes, beliefs are not neccessarily truths.

The Earth is round, People have seen it from space, it can be proven by anybody who knows anything about radio, with a tall enough object it can be seen in the shadow.

Tell me what is the difference between belief and truth if the belief is true?

Unfortunately, there is no way to prove the existance of god, and I'm not trying to convince anyone of it. I have experienced god in my life and so I believe. If someone else doesn't then that's fine with me.

I just find it sad that there are people who would justify the physical and mental subjugation of a woman and use the excuse that morals are all relative. If all morals are relative, does this mean that you do only what you want when you want? Do you steal a woman's purse when you start running low on cash? Why not? It doesn't matter because it is only the one-sided beliefs of our society that says it wrong? And hey, beliefs are not truths, so screw it.
Sabosect
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Yes, beliefs are not neccessarily truths.

The Earth is round, People have seen it from space, it can be proven by anybody who knows anything about radio, with a tall enough object it can be seen in the shadow.

This is going to be interesting.

Tell me what is the difference between belief and truth if the belief is true?

The difference is that a belief has the chance of being false, while a truth doesn't. Unfortunately, in this day and age those seeking truths and those seeking beliefs they agree with have merged and blurred together until you realize that a lot of the 'truth' is belief. Most of those seeking their own paths have been blinded by their own beliefs to the true nature of it.

Unfortunately, there is no way to prove the existance of god, and I'm not trying to convince anyone of it.  I have experienced god in my life and so I believe.  If someone else doesn't then that's fine with me.

I have heard it said that the nature of what makes divinity special is that it cannot be proven. And in order for something to be disproven, you must first have the capacity to attempt to prove it. The problem I am having is that the relativity of morallity means that not all beliefs are necessarily those that should be kept around.

I just find it sad that there are people who would justify the physical and mental subjugation of a woman and use the excuse that morals are all relative.  If all morals are relative, does this mean that you do only what you want when you want?  Do you steal a woman's purse when you start running low on cash?  Why not?  It doesn't matter because it is only the one-sided beliefs of our society that says it wrong?  And hey, beliefs are not truths, so screw it.

Relative morality is dependent on two things: The situation and the beliefs involved. For example, most people are taught that taking the life of another human is bad. And yet, there are cases where it is perfectly acceptable or even necessary.

Let's take a look at the Bible, specifically the commandment "Thou shall not kill." Some interpret that to mean murder. But, there is one other aspect of it: Look through the Bible and find the number of times wars, genocides, and murders have been ordered by God in it. Those times are exceptions to the commandment. Even today, it is perfectly acceptable under Christian beliefs to kill in the name of your nation, to protect your own life, or even in some cases to save someone else's. Now, the problem you have there is the commandment has exceptions, and quite a few of them. Those exceptions are dependant upon the situation involved. That, alone, makes the morality of the action of killing relative.

Now, that's just one belief system. When you cross into others, the very core beliefs change and, along with them, the ideals of what are and are not moral. Even worse is when you get on the personal level, where the interpretations of these systems of belief (I'm including atheism in this simply because refusing to believe something is still a system of belief) range wide enough that in some cases people have almost gone to war. It's even worse when you get nations such as the U.S., which foster various belief systems on purpose.

Now, how does humanity manage these variety of beliefs? Through governments and laws. Effectively, what is right and what isn't for a particular area is dictated by these. Thus, you have a universal (for that area) system to use to judge the beliefs of others. And, like all systems, these evolve and change over time.

So, am I saying that there is a morality to justify the rapes and such involved? Yes. Am I saying that morality is correct? No. And, in this case, I can use the legal code of Louisiana to justify my answer, which everyone can check for themselves and verify whether or not my claim is correct.
Cynic project
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Sep 3 2005, 08:47 AM)

Hmmm? Who were driving the buses? Cops? Soldiers? Civillian drivers like all the rest of the other people they are driving to safety?

If the buses were driven by firemen/soldiers/cops(people trained to put their lives on the line), yes, evacuation till the last minute makes sense. Even if the buses were not driven by civillians, then at what time are you going to tell your people to get themselves to safety? Are you going to wait till there isn't any way out then you say enough? Then what the hell are those drivers who were sensible enough to want to get out but did not because you told them to stay?

Beliefs are truth those who belief in them. Especially if those beliefs require them to. Follower of Osama believe that America is Evil and since they believe it, you Americans are evil, Shadow(doesn't matter what you believe, apologies if Shadow is not American)

The Buses were clossed down with if I recall rightly with hours to spare before there was a risk of harm of the divers, buses or people. There were still cars driving out of the city well after the buses were shut down. No the way they handled thsi was, fuck the poor. That they did,and those who have the least ability to rebuild and get back on their feets not only have to get along just the way as thsoe who have mroe but they will have to live in an area that people in mexicao look at say boy that is some fcuked up shit, I wouldn't want to be there.
FrostyNSO
What your saying makes absolutely perfect sense to me.

Still, there is some point in your life where you have to believe something. I have neither the education or the time to go out and prove the truth of everything the world has to offer. Most people end up having to accept what others have determined to be truth. Whether that truth is tainted with personal belief is for the seeker to decide.

As you said earlier, morals are there to help you sleep at night. Notwithstanding a person who grew up in a society where something like murder is all fine and dandy won't have a problem with it, as morals are relative.
In our society though, most people are taught from a very early age that killing is wrong. Nowadays (at least where I live), killing in the name of your country is going out of vogue, but the other reasons are still pretty valid as far as society is concerned. That's how I was raised, and maybe because of that is why I have the beliefs I have on the subject. Maybe, that is the only reason for all I know. As much as I want to explain why I feel the way I do about God and religion, and the morals my religion tries to promote, I can't, and wouldn't have the words to make it make sense except to another person who has experienced what I have. Sheez, I hope that sentence made sense. Basically I have nothing that I can present that would counter your point conclusively, nor would I want to, as I can understand where you are coming from (in the context in which you wrote it) completely.

But to the point, whether you believe it is wrong or not, so long as one lives in this particular society, you are pretty much stuck living by the morals others have established. In the murder example, sure the guy who has no problem with killing another guy, but if he wants to stay out of jail, he's going to have to be really clever, or just not murder anyone.
I don't think the average person really wants to kill a person in their lifetime (again, maybe that's just what I think), but if you do something like join the army (or Foreign Legion wink.gif ), you may well have to do it whether you want to or not. It's just the rules of the game.
Sabosect
Wow. We are on the same page. Hell, we're in the same paragraph.

You have said nothing I disagree with, can refute, or wish to refute.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Sep 2 2005, 11:13 PM)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Sep 2 2005, 06:38 PM)

Hyzmarca: I can't argue with your "god" statement partly because I don't understand what you're trying to prove with it, except to say that if god were to tell me to rape a woman, that is the day I turn my back on god.

That is sort of the point that I was trying to prove. If there is such a thing as universal morality then that morality springs from God. God, being omnipotent, can change this universal morality at any time it wishes.

If you would turn your back on God due to the belief that it's choices are immoral, then that means that morality must be realitive.

I was also trying to prove that one could create an internally consistant moral system that supports any act. The easiest way to forge such a system is to invoke divine mandate.

But to the point, whether you believe it is wrong or not, so long as one lives in this particular society, you are pretty much stuck living by the morals others have established. In the murder example, sure the guy who has no problem with killing another guy, but if he wants to stay out of jail, he's going to have to be really clever, or just not murder anyone.

Law and morality are unrelated. The purpose of law is to maintain social order. Murder and rape and illegal because they are violations of this order.
When people begin to see the law as an extention of morality bad things happen. Virtue cannot be enforced. Attempts to enforce virtue degrades both law and morality. When this happens virtue is replaced by propriety which is worthless.

I certainly wouldn't want anyone basing their morality on the law. That would lead to a society of callous insensitive jerks and the law would eventually collapse under the wieght of accumilated social enmity. When the law is based on morality, on the other hand, the people lose basic human rights.

You seem to miss the point of what moral realitivity is about. It doesn't mean that I can do whatever I want because morals are realitive. It means that I cannot judge the actions of others using my own moral standards because morals are realitive. I have to use their own moral standards for that.

Of course, just because I can't judge others with my own standards doesn't mean that I can't use physical violence to prevent them from commiting acts that I disagree with.

Moral realitivity is strongly linked to cultural realitivity. The idea that some cultures are superior to others has led to man atrocities. There are many odd cultural practices in the world and one should strive for understanding rather than condemnation.

Still, there is some point in your life where you have to believe something. I have neither the education or the time to go out and prove the truth of everything the world has to offer. Most people end up having to accept what others have determined to be truth. Whether that truth is tainted with personal belief is for the seeker to decide.

Any scientist will tell you that you cannot prove anything. Proving something is logically impossible. There is no need to prove the truth.
FrostyNSO
We disagree in that I would say law is a scion (yay, word of the day!) of morality relative to the society. Otherwise, how would the law get there in the first place?

edit: Did you mean: "Any scientist will tell you that you can't prove anything." That would make more sense given the following sentence but it tripped me up a bit.
Shanshu Freeman
This is a really important conversation to be having. It's fascinating to sit back and watch it unfold.

QUOTE (Blacken @ Sep 2 2005, 03:42 PM)
As for New Orleans: I really don't see why there shouldn't be a shoot-to-kill order for looters. Okay, yeah, some are going for food. But I've seen numerous ones on the news carrying TVs down flooded streets. Beyond the basic question of what the hell you're going to do with a TV in a flooded soon-to-be-condemned city, I have no sympathy for the people who want to loot for the sake of looting.

Or are they "expressing their discontent with their social status"?

As for "Shiawase Decision" fears: To an extent, there ought to already be security forces working for these people. The Army ought to be guarding each of them, but there's just not enough boots on the ground for that to be effective. If the military can't protect them, a reasonable number of private security personnel is more than reasonable.

Hope you don't mind, you're getting sigged.
Talia Invierno
The Buses were clossed down with if I recall rightly with hours to spare before there was a risk of harm of the divers, buses or people.
- Cynic project

So were the airports and rail links. Ask any number of the tourists who were trying to get out earlier.

Confirm: NO is not under martial law. One media outlet reported it (and others followed like sheep), the mayor misspoke -- and several times tried to grab more authority than he had. Call it an act of desperation: it's certainly understandable. But it's been refuted several times at higher levels since the Tuesday of the earlier linked article. At its core: even if armed forces are brought in, even if shoot-to-kill orders are issued, martial law does not exist so long as the civilian authorities continue to call the shots.

Important conversation to be having, yes: and what comes out at such times reveals more of the truth of you than anything else. I'd even say that what isn't tested under fire isn't, can't be, solid. Several things I could add to it, some agreeing, some disagreeing, maybe I'll write some of them into my blog. Me, I've never seen any distinction between the personal and the wider picture: but most do, and this one is still too harsh on the lives of individuals at this point for me to enter into what can seem abstract, ivory tower discussion about here-and-now realities. Many harsh truths will have been (re)discovered, by the time this ends. Maybe it is the only way that such truths can ever be discovered.

Doesn't mean I don't wish things could have unfolded otherwise. Hurricanes happen, yes: but I hate preventable suffering.
Snow_Fox
In NYC on 9/11/01 the city was surprised by the attack and thousnads died in a matter of hours. The island on Manhattan was locked dwon for 2 days with nothing and no one getting in or out. Of the emergency services people who were not killed (less than 400 total) they were badly disrupted as many vehicals and leaders were ranked among the dead and thw WTO center housed the emergency center.

Two summers ago New York and the North East were plunged into a blackout. In neither case do we have reports of armed gangs and rapes. In fact you saw what was best in human nature.When the planes hit the Towers, the call was "CITYWIDE" a code for if you've got a badge, no matter what part of the city you are usually in, get down there NOW. The Bronx and Brookyln were stripped of police. Crime was all but non-existant. Where traffic lights were out, civilians stood in and directed traffic. If police and Paramedics were not availble private citizens stepped in to share food and gave what help they could.
New York in distress became an shining example of the best in the American heart. Cuaght by surprise in emergency, people stood together to help one another, to show that society is more than fear of Police, but a sense of common humanity.

By comparrison in NO they were told well in advance to get the hell out of town. It is understaood that those who did not could not (I have no sympathy for those who could but didn't) but they were told to rally at certain points AND bring food and drink for 3 days. The situation broke down long before the 3 day point meaning they didn't, or at least they couldn't and instead of drawing together, they preyed on each other.

A doctor who was in the superdome for the frist two days, before being evacuated as an escourt for badly injured people said inb the first 2 days it was a night mare and he would not go back in. By comparison to the Big Apple, the big Easy seems to be the worst of human nature in an emergency.
Demonseed Elite
There was a basic breakdown in law enforcement in NO, which led to all sorts of other problems. NYC never had a breakdown in law enforcement on 9/11. In fact, it was probably the opposite; even though things didn't go smoothly on 9/11, the first responders probably gave 200%.

In contrast, they are now saying that upwards of 2/3s of the NOPD decided they could not enforce the law. Either because they lacked organization and coordination or because they personally decided to take care of their own lives over their job (many NOPD cops turned in their badges or went to protect their own families and property).

What really surprises me about the NOPD is the apparent lack of foresight. I mean, it's no great surprise that New Orleans could flood, but yet they didn't seem to have a backup plan for coordination in the case of a flood. Many precincts were underwater and the cops had no where to go to reorganize. Some cops took over a Wal-Mart and just holed up inside to survive, looting it for supplies. You'd think there would have been a plan in place prior to this disaster for the police to converge on a high-ground location of New Orleans with a field headquarters equipped with satellite phones, generators, etc.

I mean, the NYPD has field locations they can commandeer all over the city in case of emergencies, that are pre-determined and widely-known.
Snow_Fox
A good point about a lack of planning by the NOPD. but my popint was that Law Enforcemnt in NYC on 9/11 did not break down, it disappeared. "CityWide" is an actual order and this was issued. It pulls ALL police from everywhere in the city and sends them to the danger zone. And still at the edges of the outer bouroghs, and I've been in some scary parts of the Bronx, things actually got safer as people pulled together. They shared what they had. in NO they stole from one another.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Sep 3 2005, 12:03 AM)
Even today, it is perfectly acceptable under Christian beliefs to kill in the name of your nation

Not in Catholicism. If it doesn't count as a "Just War" it doesn't matter whose name it's in, according to the Catechism paragraph 2309 Catholics are morally obligated not to kill in the prosecution of it. Indeed, some use Deuteronomy 20:8 to argue that giving soldiers the right to refuse to participate in any specific battle that they feel is unjust is a precondition to a just war, though I don't believe there's an official stance on that.

As with everything, just because that's policy doesn't mean it's followed, but that's the word from the throne.
In NYC on 9/11/01 the city was surprised by the attack and thousnads died in a matter of hours.

And a handful of buildings were destroyed, and a small area needed to be abandoned. I may as well compare a house burning down to the WTC attacks for all the equivalence of scale.

~J
Sabosect
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Sep 3 2005, 12:21 PM)
A good point about a lack of planning by the NOPD. but my popint was that Law Enforcemnt in NYC on 9/11 did not break down, it disappeared. "CityWide" is an actual order and this was issued. It pulls ALL police from everywhere in the city and sends them to the danger zone. And still at the edges of the outer bouroghs, and I've been in some scary parts of the Bronx, things actually got safer as people pulled together. They shared what they had. in NO they stole from one another.

Which is where we get to the vital difference: In NY, we had a case of the police force being visible and having a command structure. In NO, we have a case of the police force itself having no leadership and effectively treating the citizens like dirt.

The difference is minor, but it's still there.

QUOTE (Kage)
Not in Catholicism. If it doesn't count as a "Just War" it doesn't matter whose name it's in, according to the Catechism paragraph 2309 Catholics are morally obligated not to kill in the prosecution of it. Indeed, some use Deuteronomy 20:8 to argue that giving soldiers the right to refuse to participate in any specific battle that they feel is unjust is a precondition to a just war, though I don't believe there's an official stance on that.

As with everything, just because that's policy doesn't mean it's followed, but that's the word from the throne.

Okay. So it's a case of subjective morality over the type of war.
Demonseed Elite
9/11 and Katrina are definitely very different situations. While New Yorkers outside ground zero were frightened and uneasy, they didn't feel abandoned, isolated, or desperate for survival. Those in New Orleans did.

But I'm really still just shocked at the lack of preparedness by the NOPD. The events on 9/11 certainly qualify as a less-likely urban scenario in NYC than a flood is in NO. New Orleans sits in a below sea-level bowl, there absolutely should have been a NOPD plan in place for dealing with an urban flood.
Arethusa
The NOPD (and NO's political and social program infrastructure) has a long earned reputation for incompetence and rampant corruption. I wish I could be surprised at how this all worked out.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
edit: Did you mean: "Any scientist will tell you that you can't prove anything." That would make more sense given the following sentence but it tripped me up a bit.

Yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012