Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trolls what are they good for?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Siege
QUOTE (Cain)
I'm sorry.. but you really do have to be a bad roleplaying PC to be a elf posing as an orc. I mean it will NEVER happen in the reality that is Shadowrun. I mean you lose your elevated status of being an elf.. to go to being the most racially attacked race in the game

Ummm... you are aware that there's *plenty* of rich white boys who actively emulate poor black thugs? And this isn't a new thing by a big margin, either-- Blaxploitation goes back to the mid-sixties.

The term blaxploitation refers to producers of films directed towards black audiences, such as "Blacula".

I don't know if a new term has been coined for emulating "negative" characters - for example, rooting for the alligators in "Tarzan" flicks.

And yes, there's nothing quite so funny as watching rich white kids from the burbs emulating "Gangsta'Chic".

-Siege
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Siege)
And yes, there's nothing quite so funny as watching rich white kids from the burbs emulating "Gangsta'Chic".

-Siege

You are wrong. There is something even funnier, watching middle-class Japanese kids emulating "Gangsta'Chic" in the middle of Tokyo.
Siege
grinbig.gif

Ok...I'll give you that one.

-Siege
hahnsoo
And now it's time for a Simpsons quote:
Announcer: Next, on Exploitation Theatre... Blackula, followed by Blackenstein, and the Blunchblack of Blotre Blame!
Homer: [watching] Oooh, funky!
- "Simpson Tide", 3G04
blakkie
*shrug* It still partially balances it out. After all +1 Reach isn't just an extra die.

P.S. The Troll may not land a hit quite as often, but for the ones he lands his extra Str dice count for more damage than the average extra hits from the improved Agility. Plus in the meantime the Troll is going to be shaking off more damage than the forest flower.
OSUMacbeth

As you can see, he's a very fair GM. After all, we're all SOMETHING special in our own way, so it's only fair that we all be targetted. We're mostly living off of the equipment of the people who attack us as our fame no longer allows us to run. Unfortunately, the asshole wont let the fact that we're the subject of non-stop assassination attempts actually have any of the game mechanical benefits Street Cred, Notoriety, and Public Awareness provide. When we asked if every other famous entity in the game is subjected to the same he said they also are.

I'm mystified as to the ecology of his world. More specifically, how there are so many people out there with the free time and inclination to constantly attempt hits on other people. You have to ask yourself why anyone would ever order a hit on someone famous when they can just create a gap in their security and let someone do the actual hit pro bono.

I'm beginning to suspect he's really just trying to get us to go play 2nd edition D&D again. According to him, it was the best version of D&D ever because you had so few options.

Absolutely hilarious. biggrin.gif Rest assured, I am not looking for ways to stuff my player's advantages down his throat at every opportunity. Rather, I was just looking for ways to try and insure that he can't just walk through every run and never worry at all about being in danger.

OSUMacbeth
mintcar
Nobody noticed my example of how the wrestling troll can rule? Seriously, you get much, much more out of your strength when wrestling. You force a success test using strength instead of agility from the opponent, and you do FULL strength DV if you manage to hold on. Big troll hands are good for choking people.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (mintcar)
Nobody noticed my example of how the wrestling troll can rule? Seriously, you get much, much more out of your strength when wrestling. You force a success test using strength instead of agility from the opponent, and you do FULL strength DV if you manage to hold on. Big troll hands are good for choking people.

I want to see how the Shadowrun world pro-wrestling world will be like.

The Four Horsemen can be really scary looking, heck insert some doom and gloom spell on them.

The NWO version can hype up the policlub aspect. or something, the name does hint at that.

Oh, the Legion of Doom, what a cool name.

What will be really off is when the dwarf/elf tag team takes on the troll brothers (or orcs). I'd love to see what the scriptwriters will do for that matchup.

Ok, my little crazy spiel is over. biggrin.gif
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (mintcar)

I noticed it I just haven't really read the rules on it enough to make a comment.
Phoniex
/social commentary on

White male youth might like emulating black male youth, but it is a social construct that does not last a lifetime. Now the same could be said for orc poser, that some stupid elf is rebelling and therefore spends a few years trying to look like an orc. But, still any real orcs the poser meets will want to beat the crap out of them.. to me at least. Also, currently in the US, the black population might be mainly lower economically, that is far different than alot of the hate that is directed at the muslim community currently. White/christian-->black is alot more socially acceptable than white/christian--->muslim/arab. Which is where i think elf-->orc is.

/social commentary off

The only saving grace i see the troll having right now is that he will get his hits in. the elf will hit him and get more successes, but will not knock the troll out, so the troll will at least get a chance to deal damage. And reach of 1, really is nothing... maybe every point of reach gives you 2 dice, because in a fight between 2 equally skill fighters 3 att and 3 skill, a sword should make a hell of a difference. now it will only come up 1 out of every 3 fights. ohplease.gif Still need to play with the game more before any final determination.

I will only say, 40 points for being a troll.. from a min/max standpoint to have any kind of effective shadowrunning character.. well don't bother. *because it can be better done elsewhere and cheaper*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012