Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie GM questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
M.A.L.E-man
Hi folks. This is my very first posting here, so please be kind.

I am running a campaign and, although I am experienced at GMing other games, my Shadowrun Book-Fu is weak. I am sure the following questions are answered somewhere- if they are let me know.

1) "Control Thoughts" spell. What if the target doesn't speak a language the caster does? Ie: English speaking Shaman casts it on a person who speaks only French?

2) "Treat" and "Heal" spells. Per the SR3 description: - “A character can only be healed once for any single set of injuries.” Say a guy takes 4 (separate) light physical wounds in a single encounter. Does that mean he gets the benefit of 4 Heal spells, or, because its a single encounter, does he get one roll for all of them? (I should point out that I am an unforgiving, merciless GM and have been defaulting to the 2nd idea.)

3) Armour and "Armour" spell. My players have a goon whom they armour up and then cast level 5 armour spell on him. He usually ends up with an armour factor of about 10 or so, making him impervious to normal weapons. Its getting tough to justify constant non-physical attacks and enemy spell casts constantly 'dispelling' the spell.

4) Karma Pool use in down time. (This one bugs me) My players use their Karma pools shamelessly during their downtime. They don't *burn* it, they just use it a lot. Its hard to create down-time situations that can 'soak up' their pools. (I suspect the response to this will be something like 'Suck it up, bucko.'

5) Multiple Spirits. In the middle of a run one of my Shamen will stop and summon 3 or so level 4 spirits. He will wait out the drain and then have this wee little army running amok. Apart from Drain (he'll take a light and rest), leaving the domain and end-of-day is there any way to wean him of this habit?

6) Manabolt. My players manabolt everything they see, hear or smell. Its their first, best and favourite spell. Its getting difficult to explain the Mafia goons with the Willpower of 5. Any ideas?

Well those are the problems which spring to my mind immediately. I've worked around most of them with House Rules, but I have read some of the other topics on this site and I know there are a lot of fiendish, odd people out there who will have some ideas.

Thanks
hahnsoo
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man @ Sep 9 2005, 06:27 PM)
1) "Control Thoughts" spell.  What if the target doesn't speak a language the caster does?  Ie: English speaking Shaman casts it on a person who speaks only French?

Most GMs allow the mental connection of Control Thoughts to pass the language barrier. It's up to you, of course.
2) "Treat" and "Heal" spells.  Per the SR3 description: - “A character can only be healed once for any single set of injuries.”  Say a guy takes 4 (separate) light physical wounds in a single encounter.  Does that mean he gets the benefit of 4 Heal spells, or, because its a single encounter, does he get one roll for all of them?  (I should point out that I am an unforgiving, merciless GM and have been defaulting to the 2nd idea.)
The latter is correct. It isn't unforgiving or merciless. You only get one First Aid test, and one Heal/Treat test (and if you use Magical Healing, you can't use First Aid afterwards, but you can use First Aid before).
3) Armour and "Armour" spell.  My players have a goon whom they armour up and then cast level 5 armour spell on him.  He usually ends up with an armour factor of about 10 or so, making him impervious to normal weapons.  Its getting tough to justify constant non-physical attacks and enemy spell casts constantly 'dispelling' the spell.
Use wards, or other astral barriers. Sustained spells are dispelled when they cross an astral barrier (subject to the rules in Magic in the Shadows). Or use alternate methods of taking down the "goon"... you don't have to kill him, either nets, tasers, spells, even a good old pit.
4) Karma Pool use in down time.  (This one bugs me)  My players use their Karma pools shamelessly during their downtime.  They don't *burn* it, they just use it a lot.  Its hard to create down-time situations that can 'soak up' their pools.  (I suspect the response to this will be something like 'Suck it up, bucko.'
Karma Pool should only refresh when the GM deems appropriate. I wouldn't let the Karma Pool refresh between downtime and the beginning of the run. Let them steam it out at the beginning of the run if they wish to squander it.

Another way, you can simply let the Karma Pool available at the end of every run to apply during downtime... in other words, don't refresh the Karma at the end of the run, until the next run begins.
5) Multiple Spirits.  In the middle of a run one of my Shamen will stop and summon 3 or so level 4 spirits.  He will wait out the drain and then have this wee little army running amok.  Apart from Drain (he'll take a light and rest), leaving the domain and end-of-day is there any way to wean him of this habit?
You can only have one spirit as a Shaman. SR3 p184:
CODE
A shaman can only be in one domain at a time... <snip>
A shaman can only summon one nature spirit in any given domain.

6) Manabolt.  My players manabolt everything they see, hear or smell. Its their first, best and favourite spell.  Its getting difficult to explain the Mafia goons with the Willpower of 5.  Any ideas?
Manabolt is popular and powerful, this is true. However, it also kills AND it leaves an astral signature. It's also a spell and thus is subject to the usual countermeasures of spells (if they have a sec-mage or an Elemental around, they won't be happy). Also, remember to enforce background count.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)
4) Karma Pool use in down time. (This one bugs me) My players use their Karma pools shamelessly during their downtime. They don't *burn* it, they just use it a lot. Its hard to create down-time situations that can 'soak up' their pools. (I suspect the response to this will be something like 'Suck it up, bucko.'

I agree with Hahnsoo. Make karma pool refresh at the end of a run, not the beginning of it. That way any karma pool that is spent during downtime is unavailable during the next run.

~J
toturi
2) There are 2 schools of thought on this. You can rule that any single set of wounds to be all the wounds until that point or any single wound. So it is up to you to interpret it. What both sides agree on is that First Aid before Heal/Treat.

4)
In most cases, Karma pool should referesh at the beginning of each gaming session, and will likely not refresh until the beginning of the next gaming session.
Seem clear enough to me. If your PCs keep their Karma pool during game time, I do not see the problem with them spending it during downtime, but it just does not refresh until the beginning of the next gaming session.
Dawnshadow
"Set of injuries" -- the injuries that the character has taken up to the point of "Heal".

If there's a firefight going on and someone drags the almost dead adept under cover to apply healing, heals him up 5 boxes (of 7 damage taken), and then he takes another 2.. and gets healed again, he can only be healed the 2 he took after the damage.

Armour + "Armour" -- successes are your friend. Enough successes and even TN2 won't save you.

Karma Pool.. it only refreshes when you say so.. so only let it refresh when you want. If they want to spend their entire karma pool on downtime, they can.. don't refresh it before the run. That being said -- it's the standard view, I just don't particularly like it. I accept it in the high powered game I'm in, but in an ordinary game? It really should refresh fairly consistently.

Spirits -- 1 per domain (unless greatform). Greatforms have nasty drain (second check being 2*force-grade).

Manabolt -- Mages with shielding.

M.A.L.E-man
Excellent feedback, folks. Knew I came to the right place. You rock. cool.gif

For your troubles here are some more questions:

7) Invisibility. Indirect Illusions are resisted by Intelligence. One of my PCs has Improved Invisibility 3. He casts it on the Goon. As far as I can tell when the Goon tries to walk past eh security Guard with Int of 3 the TN is 3 (level of the spell) and he gets 3 dice. If that is the correct way of running the spell it seems to me that Invisibility is pretty much useless at less than level 5.

7a) Perception. If the guard in the case above detects the Goon does that ‘blow’ the spell completely? (ie: “Hey look! It’s a one-eyed troll in a red mumu carrying a transparent bag full of shaved weasels!” vs “What was that?”) I would be tempted to use the Perception Success table on pg 232 of SR3.

cool.gif Astral Perception- can astral perception assense the exact nature of a sustained spell on a subject via their aura? Eg: Johnson has Control Emotions sustained on him, the assensing mage gets lucky with 5 successes- that would be enough for “..general cause of any astral signatures (combat spell, etc)” Would the assensing mage be able to look and say “Hey- that dude has Control Emotions on him!”

9) Etiquette. One of my players has the Etiquette skill with no specialization/sub- culture. I find it hard to imagine that dealing with the Mafia, an ambassadorial reception in Aztlan and a corporate meeting with a CEO would be so similar that only the Social Situations table would apply. I am considering ‘forcing’ the player to specialize.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)
Karma Pool use in down time.

I don't allow Karma pool use during down time. The description of this (Extended Actions, SR3 p. 246) can easily be interpreted to mean that the standard rule is to not allow it, but a GM can choose to allow it if he wants.

QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)
My players manabolt everything they see, hear or smell. Its their first, best and favourite spell.  Its getting difficult to explain the Mafia goons with the Willpower of 5.  Any ideas?

Tell them that Shadowrun REQUIRES conflicts that are difficult to overcome. The players get more satisfaction from succeeding at something that is difficult than something that is easy. Tell them that henceforth goons will have whatever willpower you choose in order to make them have the right level of challenge for that part of the adventure. And the right Karma Pool. And the right Armor and/or Weapons and/or Spells. You're going to make Manabolt less effective for them by raising the goons' willpower. You're going to make Shotguns less effective (if 5 Street Samurai face off against 5 Knight Errant guards in a dark alley 30 meters apart and they all have Shotguns then the first one to fire can do Deadly damage to all of the enemies). If they all play with Shotguns then they'll easily win 3 out of 4 battles, but the opponents will all have Shotguns too and will blow away the team on every 4th battle. Do they want to make characters that often?
mmu1
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man @ Sep 9 2005, 07:27 PM)
3) Armour and "Armour" spell.  My players have a goon whom they armour up and then cast level 5 armour spell on him.  He usually ends up with an armour factor of about 10 or so, making him impervious to normal weapons.  Its getting tough to justify constant non-physical attacks and enemy spell casts constantly 'dispelling' the spell.

It's not that hard to get through... A 6-round burst from a compensated assault rifle loaded with Ex-Ex ammo will go through it like it wasn't there. (damage code 16D)

Mind you, not every ganger or security guard is going to have one, but it's basically off the shelf (if slightly expensive) weaponry - if they can get away with using him as an impervious tank all the time, you're just not using enough firepower.
RedmondLarry
7) For most spells the Force of the spell makes a big difference in the results. For example, a target hit by Manabolt 5 will typically get twice as many successes on his resistance test than one hit by Manabolt 6.

Invisibility, however, is fairly broken. Even at Force 1 a beginning magician can easily get 6 successes (6 Sorcery + 6 Spell giving 12 dice vs. target 4). With 6 successes it automatically succeeds against anyone with Intelligence 5 or less.

7a) Yes, you can consider Etiquette to be a little strange, from that 'realistic' point of view. However when a force specialization is required (as it was in Shadowrun 2nd edition) then the skill is fairly costly (during character creation) compared to its benefit in the Game. Some things in 2nd edition were too cheap (like the 'Firearms' skill working with most types of hand-held weapons) compared to its benefit. I think SR3 has made the 'cost' to 'benefit' ratio for Etiquette and the various Firearm skills better than it was in 2nd Edition Shadowrun.

Even more strange than Etiquette is that 'City Speak' (the language of the homeless and other street people) is a specialization of English in 3rd edition. This means that the Oxford Professor of English from England can speak City Speak fluently while in the Redmond Barrens.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man @ Sep 9 2005, 03:27 PM)
3) Armour and "Armour" spell.  My players have a goon whom they armour up and then cast level 5 armour spell on him.  He usually ends up with an armour factor of about 10 or so, making him impervious to normal weapons.

There are some types of Armor that automatically deflects any attack whose power is less than or equal to the rating of the armor. Your players shouldn't have this type of armor.

This armor is called Hardened Armor, and is available to the Military ("Hardened Military-Grade Armor", Cannon Companion page 51). Some creatures also have the Hardened Armor power (SR3 p. 263) which gives it the same thing. A spirit with Materialization Power (SR3 p. 264) has Immunity to Normal Weapons (Immunity, SR3 p. 264) which has the same affect againt most things a mundane character can do. A force 4 materialized City Spirit with 8 points of Immunity is immune to attacks from a Light Machine Gun (power 7), but can be affected by a Heavy Pistol (power 9). Go figure.

Your characters should not have Hardened Armor. This means that the goon with 10 points of armor still has a TN of 2 to resist an attack. If he stands out in the open and is shot by a Guard Captain (Submachine Guns 6, Combat Pool 6+, Smartlink) then the Guard Captain can easily get 10 successes on his 12 dice vs TN 2. The goon will need 9 successes vs. TN 2 just to stay alive, and 12 successes to avoid taking a Serious wound. The Guard Captain will then take his second simple action, doing another Burst from the SMG. With these standard rules your goon will soon learn (or his replacement character will learn) that he has to take cover, dodge, hide in shadows, etc.

While the magician is sustaining the spell the Magician is at +2 for all success tests. This makes the goon more useful and the magician less useful. A fairly reasonable trade. If the magician wants to avoid sustaining it he can purchase and bond a Sustaining Focus. At 1 Karma and 15,000 or 30,000 nuyen for each force point of the Sustaining Focus (and thus per point of armor), this armor gets to be very expensive. And while the Sustaining focus is active it can be targeted by a Manabolt from either the Physical or Astral Plane which can damage or destroy the object (SR3 p. 176, right column, about 2/3 of the way down the page). If every 6th adventure or so the Sustaining focus gets blown up that's a lot of Karma and Nuyen in expenses.

An Armor Spell glows. So either the character walks around getting the attention of every guard and cop, or the magician has to cast a spell into the focus and physically place the sustaining focus the goon character at the start of every battle for it to be effective. (SR3 p. 191 top left paragraph). Standing by the goon character and casting a glowing spell is likely to trigger the first rule of Shadowrun. "Geek the mage first."
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Spirits -- 1 per domain (unless greatform). Greatforms have nasty drain (second check being 2*force-grade).

Just to clarify, the rules on Magic in the Shadows p107 for Great Form Nature Spirits:
Great form nature spirits do not count toward the shaman’s limit of one spirit per domain. Because these spirits can cross domain lines, shamans must remember that they may only bind at one time a number of spirits less than or equal to their Charisma.

So a shaman can have multiple spirits, as long as all but one of them are great forms. Again, you can only be in one domain at a time, and thus only have one normal nature spirit bound to you at a time.
toturi
Hardened Armour is fairly easy to procure. Gel pack with Normal clothing(Avail is always) = Hardened Armour for 250 nuyen.gif
Glyph
Looks like most of your questions have been answered already. Just two more observations, though.

First, on the Etiquette thing, if you want to make it more specialized without hobbling the character, then allow more Knowledge skills as complementary tests. So the ganger with Etiquette: 6 who also has skills like gang turf or underworld politics will be a bit better in his own element than he would be meeting with a Johnson uptown.

Secondly, on the manabolt thing - if the group has a mage on their side, and the opposition doesn't, that should be a big advantage. But if the other side does have a mage, start having them target the other runners to give them a bit of their own medicine. Mages have lots and lots of dice - if they take all of those dice and throw them all into a spell, most mundanes are in trouble. However... the reason that they have so many dice, is because they are there for three functions: spellcasting, soaking Drain, and providing spell defense to themselves and others. The last one is important. Don't start suddenly having every enemy have mages on their side, but have it happen every now and then (mages are rare in the general population, but not among shadowrunners, or among the opposition commonly faced by 'runners). Let them learn that mages should usually keep some Spell Pool in reserve for defense, and the manabolt won't be quite as irresistable.
hahnsoo
Oh, another note that I forgot to add: If you have multiple (more than one) spellcasters in a group, perhaps you should start pitting them against more exotic threats. Spellcasters charge a premium for their services, typically, and people who are willing to pay that premium often have jobs that are more magical in nature (heavily guarded with wards, astral security, etc.). The right tool for the right job, and all that. It'll be more challenging for your players and it would prevent you from tearing your hair out at trying to "control" your magician stable.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)
7) Invisibility. Indirect Illusions are resisted by Intelligence. One of my PCs has Improved Invisibility 3. He casts it on the Goon. As far as I can tell when the Goon tries to walk past eh security Guard with Int of 3 the TN is 3 (level of the spell) and he gets 3 dice. If that is the correct way of running the spell it seems to me that Invisibility is pretty much useless at less than level 5.

As mentioned, you need to equal the number of successes on the casting test. Invisibility is just fine at Force 1, as most PC mages will get more successes than most NPCs have Intelligence to resist with.
7a) Perception.  If the guard in the case above detects the Goon does that ‘blow’ the spell completely?  (ie: “Hey look! It’s a one-eyed troll in a red mumu carrying a transparent bag full of shaved weasels!” vs “What was that?”)  I would be tempted to use the Perception Success table on pg 232 of SR3.

It blows the spell completely. By some interpretations (including mine), the guard wouldn't even realize that the goon was supposed to be invisible in the first place.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
also remember the great equalizers on mages:
1) sustaining spells is +2 to all target numbers per spell sustained

2) background count - a lot of places in the sprawl that a runner would be in regularly can easily be explained as having at least a +1 , like the Redmomnd Barrens, especially pleaces like Glow City. Or the stifling Corporate Enclave that dehumanizes it's workers. Or the brothel. Or the 'rough part of town' that people 'tend to dissapear in'

3)multiple opponents. There is little anyone can do short of hardened armor that 4 guys shooting at multiple times can't take down. If you have two sec gaurds shoot for their two simple actions, then shoot three or four more rounds at +2 each shot (assume some sort of recoil comp and/or smartlink), they are going to hit a few times, even if your runners are smart enough to use cover.

4) Geek the mage first - use the above. I've got a ninja type in one of my games that is also a spell caster that causes me no end of headaches. First time I gavehim a deadly wound was 4 triad members (nothing special, inferior characters w/ predators) at short range, each shooting 4 or 5 times. Second time was in melee with a bunch of ghouls. 'Friends in melee' can be your friend too.

5) enemies have spirits too. Throw a confusion at the mage, or attack him on the astral to keep him busy. Elementals are even better. Nothing like engulfing the mage with an earth elemental to take him out of the fight.

6) magic requires LOS, which is very hard to get when the mage with the 3 body gets nailed for 12S from a flash grenade. Make it a flash/bang, and he's in a world of hurt, all in stun damage, which will make him very hesitant about casting spells with any chance of drain.

As for invisibilty, a good sec team could also have ultrasound equipment (goggles) that can deal with that pretty well .
fistandantilus4.0
also remember the great equalizers on mages:
1) sustaining spells is +2 to all target numbers per spell sustained

2) background count - a lot of places in the sprawl that a runner would be in regularly can easily be explained as having at least a +1 , like the Redmomnd Barrens, especially pleaces like Glow City. Or the stifling Corporate Enclave that dehumanizes it's workers. Or the brothel. Or the 'rough part of town' that people 'tend to dissapear in'

3)multiple opponents. There is little anyone can do short of hardened armor that 4 guys shooting at multiple times can't take down. If you have two sec gaurds shoot for their two simple actions, then shoot three or four more rounds at +2 each shot (assume some sort of recoil comp and/or smartlink), they are going to hit a few times, even if your runners are smart enough to use cover.

4) Geek the mage first - use the above. I've got a ninja type in one of my games that is also a spell caster that causes me no end of headaches. First time I gavehim a deadly wound was 4 triad members (nothing special, inferior characters w/ predators) at short range, each shooting 4 or 5 times. Second time was in melee with a bunch of ghouls. 'Friends in melee' can be your friend too.

5) enemies have spirits too. Throw a confusion at the mage, or attack him on the astral to keep him busy. Elementals are even better. Nothing like engulfing the mage with an earth elemental to take him out of the fight.

6) magic requires LOS, which is very hard to get when the mage with the 3 body gets nailed for 12S from a flash grenade. Make it a flash/bang, and he's in a world of hurt, all in stun damage, which will make him very hesitant about casting spells with any chance of drain.

As for invisibilty, a good sec team could also have ultrasound equipment (goggles) that can deal with that pretty well .
eidolon
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)

9) Etiquette. One of my players has the Etiquette skill with no specialization/sub- culture. I find it hard to imagine that dealing with the Mafia, an ambassadorial reception in Aztlan and a corporate meeting with a CEO would be so similar that only the Social Situations table would apply. I am considering ‘forcing’ the player to specialize.

I've run Etiquette like this in the past, and it worked well.
For every specific group you want to be good at talking to, you buy the skill.

E: Go Gangs 3
E: Law Enforcement 2
E: Yakuza 4

I'm sure this doesn't float everyone's boat, but it worked pretty well and got rid of that "why am I just as good at fitting in wth a group of medical doctors as I am with dealing with the Ork Underground as I am at talking to the Humanis Policlub?" stuff.

Also:

QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)

One of my PCs has Improved Invisibility 3.

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

Nope.

SR3 pg. 195
Invisibility ...
Invisibility afffects the minds of viewers. Improved Invisibility affects technological sensors as well.
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 10 2005, 05:44 PM)
I've run Etiquette like this in the past, and it worked well. 
For every specific group you want to be good at talking to, you buy the skill.

E:  Go Gangs 3
E:  Law Enforcement 2
E:  Yakuza 4

I'm sure this doesn't float everyone's boat, but it worked pretty well and got rid of that "why am I just as good at fitting in wth a group of medical doctors as I am with dealing with the Ork Underground as I am at talking to the Humanis Policlub?" stuff.

I just incorporate various Knowledge skills when using Etiquette.
eidolon
That sounds like it'd work well too. May have to try it next time I'm GMing.
fistandantilus4.0
Invisibility afffects the minds of viewers. Improved Invisibility affects technological sensors as well.

Imp invisibilty hides the recipient from thermographic and vision. Ultrasound works off of sound waves. If you want to null that one too, you can use the silence or stealth spells. But Ultrasound has nothing to do with light spectrums, which is what invisibility is all about. It's sound waves.
hahnsoo
*nods* Invisibility/Improved Invisibility is a single-sense illusion (sight). Sure, it will fool any sight-based measures, but it won't fool ultrasound equipment. For that, you'd need Silence (although that can cause other problems as well).
M.A.L.E-man
If Invisibility affects the mind wouldn't that then allow the invisible person to remain invisible on the astral? I know that the Invisible persons *aura* is visible, but that seems rather silly. Rather like having an invisibility spell that doesn't affect equipment carried.
Or is this another case of 'footprints in the snow' where the object is invisible, but not its effects (sound, smell, etc)

'Nother question- Dodging grenades. I add a +2 modifier to the dodge test- is that reasonable.

Any ideas on how to stop 'harvesting'? My players have a new hobby, which is taking cyberwear of anyone they kill and fencing it. So far I have resorted to the following speedbumps in their journey to larceny-ville:
- You damaged it removing it
- Lone Star is very interested in why you're carrying a human head
- Your totem disapproves of the mutilation of dead bodies
- Your fence offers you (10% of the listed cost)
- Your fence is disgusted and alarmed by the used and unhygienic equipment you are trying to sell him

Frankly the players regard stripping their opponents as the post-mortem version of searching someones pockets. They mostly have biotech skill at pretty good levels (4's and 5's), but it doesn't take genius to decapitate a body for its cybereyes. The have a van with a fridge in the back just for body parts. (I have had the cops pull them over, but their Face was really good.)

Elementals- I went after my players goon (Str 10, Body cool.gif with a force 3 Earth Elemental. I used the Engulf attack and got lucky with a hit. Per the rules he had to check for smother damage of 3S with his 8 Body dice. The next round he tries to break free pitting his Str 10 vs the Elementals Force of 3. Needless to say he got out.
Did I handle this correctly? (In retrospect the giant cybered goon was not my best choice for my goofy little force 3 pile-o-dirt, but it did keep him busy fending the thing off.)

Thanks again for the advice.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)
'Nother question- Dodging grenades. I add a +2 modifier to the dodge test- is that reasonable.

Reasonable-ish. My approach is to just allow every net dodge success to move someone one meter further from the blast center (this also means it's easier to dodge a grenade if it isn't specifically aimed at you).
Any ideas on how to stop 'harvesting'?  My players have a new hobby, which is taking cyberwear of anyone they kill and fencing it.

Why stop them?

~J
Dawnshadow
Speaking as someone who has shot another PC and taken out his cyber.. it's not necessairily a bad thing. (Especially if the Character deserves it, for idiocy)

That being said... they're taking the entire head, for the eyes? And they have biotech at 4-5?

Anyway, selling the other guys cyberware is a frequent occurance -- where do you think the "used" cyberware you get from a street doc is from? Not usually someone who had an upgrade, I would imagine. The 10% listed price sounds about right though.

As long as the group doesn't do something silly, like walk through a residential neighbourhood with assault rifles carrying troll cyberhands and covered in blood, it shouldn't be that big a deal. If it's getting extreme, just say there's a market glut of "ordinary" cybereyes, and everyone's after modded ones, and toss them a pittance (100-200 nuyen).

As for invisibility.. astral perception is not "sight", it's supernatural awareness, so no, invisibility doesn't affect astral. The target cannot be seen physically, but someone astrally active can perceive them. Most people use "sight" to describe it because that's comfortable, easy terminology, but really, astral perception could just as easily be almost entirely tactile -- someone could "feel" the presences. Most of the time, it's interpretted like vision because vision is the human dominant sense, so the input is translated into visual terms.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man @ Sep 10 2005, 01:56 PM)
Any ideas on how to stop 'harvesting'?

I wouldn't stop them, per se. But eventually, if they continue the practice, they are going to attract attention, if not from the law, then the people who actually buy this stuff. Have Tamanous and their underworld buddies pay them a visit, and either offer them a job (we could use some new "talent"... of course, if you fail, we could also use some new parts, too) or have them attacked (muscling in on our turf, buddy!). Or perhaps they "harvest" the wrong person (that was a senator's son! Slummin' in Pullayup with his no-good ganger friends... you are so fucked) and draw the ire of very powerful individuals. There are so many possibilities here, and it can be a major plothook (I've long weaned my players off the practice because of the trouble they've gotten into).

Also, be sure to restrict the 'ware that can be taken. Cybernetic replacements like Cybereyes are fairly easy, but some cyberware is virtually useless outside of the body that it was implanted. Obviously, you couldn't harvest Wired or Boosted reflexes.
Kagetenshi
Wired reflexes are absolutely harvestable. I doubt the copper along the route is anywhere near as important as the endpoints, which should be retrievable and reimplantable with just a little care.

That being said, my advice is not to "punish" them, but just accurately enforce the consequences of their actions. Harvesting people they've already killed is pretty safe—most people who would spark revenge for the harvesting of would also spark revenge for the killing of. That said, unless they're giving the big T a slice of their take (or just selling to them) becoming any sort of big mover is dangerous; furthermore, while I'd imagine some level of organlegging is acceptable and even expected, from the flavour surrounding Tamanous I'd suspect that anyone known to be working with them might receive at least a distrustful reception from others.

~J
eidolon
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
*nods* Invisibility/Improved Invisibility is a single-sense illusion (sight). Sure, it will fool any sight-based measures, but it won't fool ultrasound equipment. For that, you'd need Silence (although that can cause other problems as well).

Right on. I was having a moron moment.

Saw "technological" and jumped. My bad.
M.A.L.E-man
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Any ideas on how to stop 'harvesting'?  My players have a new hobby, which is taking cyberwear of anyone they kill and fencing it.

Why stop them?

[/QUOTE]
The PCs my players are running are, for the most part, reasonably 'normal' Shadowrunners. Errr... by that I mean an Investigator, a Face, a Media star/shaman, a Covert Ops guy, etc. I have the requisite psychopath PC, but for the most part my players drool with anticipation every time I dangle anyone with body mods in front of them. Its a ghoulish (pardon the pun) habit that these players have gotten into and whenever I mention that the PC might be disinclined to filet a downed sec-guard for his metal they state "We need the money." (Which is a crock because I 'pay' them well and they spend it freely.) I think they just want the 'free' Nuyen and are cheerfully ingoring the fact that whittling on their erstwhile, living impared opponents is, at best, not a 'nice' thing to do.
Lucifer

As others have noted, Armor is far from foolproof. A good Assault Rifle, fired in Full-Auto mode with sufficient recoil compensation should be able to generate a damage code no amount of armor can handle. If you're using the Cannon Companion, you'll find a properly prepared burst-fire shotgun can similarly shred through protections, and of course APDS/AV ammo makes armor half useless.

Beyond that, there are other options:

1) Poison, particularly gas. A gas grenade loaded with even just a simple Neuro-Stun agent will teach that goon humility in a hurry.
2) Mages, Spirits, and other Awakened enemies. They can dispel the Armor, or worse, use an attack like Manabolt to circumvent it altogether.
3) Nasty security measures like nanofilament tripwires. I personally don't like using these without warning, but if a player's getting arrogant and walking head-on into danger, I guess I could see it being justified.

5) Multiple Spirits.  In the middle of a run one of my Shamen will stop and summon 3 or so level 4 spirits.  He will wait out the drain and then have this wee little army running amok.  Apart from Drain (he'll take a light and rest), leaving the domain and end-of-day is there any way to wean him of this habit?

Is he using Great Form Spirits, or normal ones? A normal spirit has to be summoned in the same domain you intend to use it in, for the most part, and that means on-site security (particularly watcher spirits or elementals patrolling the area) have a good chance of noticing a Astral Woodstock on the premises and going on alert. Even worse, the Astral Security could alert the meat kind, and the shaman could find himself interrupted mid-summoning and half-conscious from drain by a Corp-Sec team interested in an explanation.

Even in other situations, drumming up a small army of Great Form Spirits - or even just a single normal one - won't necessarily go unnoticed. An area may have spirits or paranimals native to it that won't appreciate the astral intrusion. There might be a resident shaman (or gang, including a shamanic member) who's very protective of his turf. A player shouldn't always be harrassed for summoning, of course, but do it now and then and he'll be less likely to call on supernatural assistance when he doesn't really need it.

6) Manabolt.  My players manabolt everything they see, hear or smell. Its their first, best and favourite spell.  Its getting difficult to explain the Mafia goons with the Willpower of 5.  Any ideas?

Taken in the context of your other questions, I'd first advise you up the level of magical/Astral security you use in your games. A security mage here and a bound elemental there can make a world of difference when it comes to keeping mages from running roughshod over the competition.

A few specific challenges that Manabolt can't necessarily overcome:

1) Security drones, either piloted by a security rigger or just set to mow down anything that crosses their targeting reticules, Mitsuhama Zero-Zone style. Manabolt is completely useless against drones and...
2) Vehicles. Have those Mafia goons use a modified vehicle as a weapons platform when they're doing their hit, with polarized windows to block line of sight.
3) Enemy mages can alocated dice to Spell Defense, Shielding, or Reflecting to make Manabolts more difficult or even impossible to land reliably.
4) Paranimals, trained as guards or just angry roaming beasties; many of them have high enough natural Willpower to no-sell an average mage.
5) Combat Drugs. There are a few Combat Drugs that give a bonus to Willpower, this will give your street gangers, rent-a-cops, and other low-class threats a more reasonable chance of surviving without breaking suspension of disbelief.

Remember, Manabolt should work more often than not. As long as your mage finds himself having to choose between taking Drain to land the spell successfully, or risking a good chance of not landing it at all (or having to fire it at a lower Damage Level to avoid Drain while still landing it reliably) you're probably giving him about the right level of challenge.

As far as 'stripping' cyberware goes, just remember a few things:

1) Used cyberware will be a lot less valuable. It's also difficult to sell, meaning the characters will most likely have to work through a fence who will take a (majority) price cut. They're unlikely to get more than 25-30% of the book price.
2) A lot of cyberware can't be salvaged without medical facilities, a trained professional, and a lot of time; it's unlikely the characters have access to all these things under circumstances where others won't mind them ghoulishly carving up murder victims. Even sleazy street docs have their line in the sand.
3) Related to the above, some cyberware and all Cultured-grade bioware is basically useless to anyone other than the person it was made for. In other words, it has no inherent street value unless it's being sold for scrap; and the bioware can't even be used for that. It's a hobo dinner at best.
4) A lot of cyberware is going to be destroyed or damaged beyond repair in the process of making the person who owned it more compliant in giving it up. I seriously doubt you're going to shoot someone to death without trashing their wired reflexes or muscle replacement cyber. If their crap was still working, they probably wouldn't be dead.
5) Most of the cyberware is illegal to possess or sell. Killing someone and carving it out of them certainly doesn't help matters. These sorts of actions are likely to attract Lone Star, as well as any groups in the area that sell cyber (either reputably or through underground channels; that means the Yakuza could get upset as easily as Yamatetsu). They're also muscling in on the racket of groups like the Tanamous ghouls and various street gangs. They may reconsider the value of the cyber they're ripping out of people when they see how much they have to pay for it in dead teammates and other hassles.
6) Collecting corpses takes time. Dragging them around takes effort. If your characters are killing security guards and getting away with their bodies and aren't finding it to be a strain, you probably need to up the speed and ferocity of Lone Star response or other back-up. Their first concern upon gunning someone down should be getting away before the ass-kickers arrive, not finding a cooler to stick their head in so it doesn't go bad.
7) A lot of Johnsons aren't going to hire runners who do gratuitous damage (ie, mass murder), attract unnecessary attention by pawning incidental 'loot' (corpses and their contents), and otherwise jeopardize the secrecy and success of a run for the sake of pocketing extra cred. They could easily find themselves blacklisted for 'professional' jobs and stuck running street-level crud where the opposition can't afford any cyber for them to steal. Or worse, attract the attention of a Johnson who needs a group of patsies for a set-up...

Whew. I never realized there were so many reasons not to be a cyber-ghoul before I actually stopped to think about it. Carry on.
M.A.L.E-man
QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
That being said... they're taking the entire head, for the eyes? And they have biotech at 4-5?

Yah. They take the obvious stuff- eyes, limbs, ears. That helps because although level 5 Biotech makes them a 'Professional' I drew the line at what is basically a paramedic being able to untagle Wired Reflexes. That helps a bit.

Having said that, I would not object (and here I am musing to myself) if a PC was to spend his hard earned Karma and develop a skill set such as Surgery (Cyberware Removal). They'd have to set up a shop or place to do this and buy medical equipment, but as a character development idea ("Congrats! You're now a Shadow Doc!") its not bad. Hmmm...
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Wired reflexes are absolutely harvestable. I doubt the copper along the route is anywhere near as important as the endpoints, which should be retrievable and reimplantable with just a little care.

I disagree with this, considering how well "wired" you have to be in order to gain the benefits from it (as befits the Essence cost), but this is a subjective estimate that will vary from campaign to campaign; certainly, I'm not going to disparage how others run their campaign. In our campaign, you have to be a Cybertech doc and own a clinic to remove cyberware without damaging it in many cases (although some parts are easy to "extract", like the aforementioned cybereyes). Our explanation of Wired Reflexes comes down to a thorough physical wiring of the spinal cord and the motor/pre-motor cortices (cerebellar adjustments are done with Move-by-Wire), and since each of these are unique in every individual, it is impossible to transplant them from person to person without counting it as brand-new cyberware.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Sep 10 2005, 02:11 PM)
That being said...  they're taking the entire head, for the eyes? And they have biotech at 4-5?

Yah. They take the obvious stuff- eyes, limbs, ears. That helps because although level 5 Biotech makes them a 'Professional' I drew the line at what is basically a paramedic being able to untagle Wired Reflexes. That helps a bit.

Having said that, I would not object (and here I am musing to myself) if a PC was to spend his hard earned Karma and develop a skill set such as Surgery (Cyberware Removal). They'd have to set up a shop or place to do this and buy medical equipment, but as a character development idea ("Congrats! You're now a Shadow Doc!") its not bad. Hmmm...

Actually, the incredulity was that they weren't just extracting the eyes...

I'm being practical (and cold-blooded). Eyes fit in a ziplock in the pocket. Heads must be carried in a bag/bucket at the side, and interfere with any slaughtering interruptions on departure.
M.A.L.E-man
That, chummer, is harsh and funny at the same time...

Any idea where I can get the stats on a Double barrelled, sawed-off shotgun?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)
Any idea where I can get the stats on a Double barrelled, sawed-off shotgun?

Use a Remington Roomsweeper, with only two shots and the ability to do a "Short Burst" using both of the shots at the same time.
toturi
About harvesting: I keep a running track of the wound effects of NPCs with cyber. I'd go "OK, you cut out his Wired Reflexes... but that stunbolt you threw totally wrecked it."
hyzmarca
By canon, all used cyberware had 1d3 permenant stress points. Just enforce that rule.
This won't matter to the runners, but it will severly reduce the value of the 'ware. My recomendation is to have negotiations start at 20% of the 'ware's value divided by stress points, rounded down.
Modesitt
I mostly agree with what OurTeam says(Except for the part about karma with extended tests)...and then I saw THIS.

QUOTE ("OurTeam")
If they all play with Shotguns then they'll easily win 3 out of 4 battles, but the opponents will all have Shotguns too and will blow away the team on every 4th battle. Do they want to make characters that often?

Pop Quiz! What is the appropriate way to deal with something overpowered?

A. Nerf it until it's equal to other options, ban it if it's not worth the trouble.
B. Change the entire campaign world so that it revolves around the effects of this one overpowered thing/action.
C. Threaten to use it against your players unless they stop using it, but give no explanation for why the characters wouldn't use an effective rules-legal tactic.

Answer: A!
Cain
Remember that used cyber retails for 50% of the book value. Offer them 10% of that as a starting negotiation point-- less if you can get away with it. 250 nuyen.gif for a pair of cybereyes is not really worth the effort.

Don't cyber up your cannon fodder. If they need an edge, give them single-dose poppers of Jazz, Cram, or Kamikaze. By the time the combat's over, most of the time the drugs will be used up; if there's any left, it'll only be single-doses, not worth selling. If you do cyber your guards, keep it to cheap stuff like Boosted Reflexes (which cannot be removed) and smartlinks (which have too many parts to be removed quickly). If you want to combine the ideas, give them reuseable auto-injectors loaded with combat drugs; odds are, the players won't even notice them; and if they do, the cost restrictions I mentioned above will make extracting them too much effort.

For your big guys, don't forget that much of the really valueable stuff isn't going to be removeable in the field. For example, bone lacing isn't going anywhere, no matter what your skill is. Don't use a lot of cyberlimbs; that alone should slow down the issue.
toturi
QUOTE (Modesitt)
Pop Quiz! What is the appropriate way to deal with something overpowered?

A. Nerf it until it's equal to other options, ban it if it's not worth the trouble.
B. Change the entire campaign world so that it revolves around the effects of this one overpowered thing/action.
C. Threaten to use it against your players unless they stop using it, but give no explanation for why the characters wouldn't use an effective rules-legal tactic.

Answer: A!

D: Do nothing rules-wise and NPCs behave normally and use what they normally use.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 10 2005, 04:07 AM)
*nods* Invisibility/Improved Invisibility is a single-sense illusion (sight).  Sure, it will fool any sight-based measures, but it won't fool ultrasound equipment.  For that, you'd need Silence (although that can cause other problems as well).

oh sure, apologize to him nyahnyah.gif
M.A.L.E-man
QUOTE (Modesitt)

Great ideas. I am not sure what "Nerf it" means, however. (Unless that means fudging dice rolls because I would NEVER do that to merely make my players enjoy a hard won fight. Never. Nope.)

It appears that I may have screwed up mightily where armour is concerned. I shall cover an example in raw meat and throw it to you to devour and excrete.

A - Normal human (Body 4) wearing a 'Lined Coat' SR 3 pg 284= 4 points of ballistic. A guy decides to shoot him at random with a Predator (9M) and (because this is an example) hits 'im. 2 Successes.
That makes the Body save TN of 5 (9M less the 4 points ballistic= 5) He rolls his 4 Body dice and prays for a pair of 5+ rolls. Say he gets 5,5,3,3. Thats a hit plus 'half' a stage. He takes an 'M', but not enough saves for an 'L'

B - Same guy, same situation, BUT he's got 'Armour' (the spell) on him at level 4. That bumps his effective armour rating to a big 8 ("Armour spell is compatible with all armour types and adds its rating to the rating of the physical armour being worn.") Therefore our boy is just trying to avoid the 'Rule of One' to smile before shooting back unscathed. Basically hes a tank unless someone start shooting bursts or uses a BFG on him.

Please correct my math/failure-to-grok at your leisure.

toturi
A) Correct. But unless the target stands stock still and doesn't dodge, he should get a dodge test before the damage resistance test.

B) Correct. But 8 isn't that big. And even if he does get 5,5,3,3 again against a TN 2 (9-8=1, but minimum TN is always 2), he can only stage down once to a Light wound.
mmu1
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)
It appears that I may have screwed up mightily where armour is concerned. I shall cover an example in raw meat and throw it to you to devour and excrete.

A - Normal human (Body 4) wearing a 'Lined Coat' SR 3 pg 284= 4 points of ballistic. A guy decides to shoot him at random with a Predator (9M) and (because this is an example) hits 'im. 2 Successes.
That makes the Body save TN of 5 (9M less the 4 points ballistic= 5) He rolls his 4 Body dice and prays for a pair of 5+ rolls. Say he gets 5,5,3,3. Thats a hit plus 'half' a stage. He takes an 'M', but not enough saves for an 'L'

B - Same guy, same situation, BUT he's got 'Armour' (the spell) on him at level 4. That bumps his effective armour rating to a big 8 ("Armour spell is compatible with all armour types and adds its rating to the rating of the physical armour being worn.") Therefore our boy is just trying to avoid the 'Rule of One' to smile before shooting back unscathed. Basically hes a tank unless someone start shooting bursts or uses a BFG on him.

Please correct my math/failure-to-grok at your leisure.

A) Actually, in this case, the attacker's 2 successes stage things up to a potential 9S, but the defender's successes stage it back down to 9M - not sure what you mean by "half a stage"?

B) In this example, the damage before the "tank" tries staging it down is still 9S, which means he still needs at least 6 successes to stage it down to nothing.

I can tell you from personal experience (my main character happens to have 8 points of ballistic armor) that it certainly doesn't allow you to just ignore the enemies with heavy pistols - not if you want to live...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man)
QUOTE (Modesitt @ Sep 10 2005, 09:49 PM)

Great ideas. I am not sure what "Nerf it" means, however. (Unless that means fudging dice rolls because I would NEVER do that to merely make my players enjoy a hard won fight. Never. Nope.)

Nerf is the brand name of a line of foam weapons. To Nerf a weapon is to reduce its deadliness.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mmu1)
A) Actually, in this case, the attacker's 2 successes stage things up to a potential 9S, but the defender's successes stage it back down to 9M - not sure what you mean by "half a stage"?

It only works that way in melee. In ranged combat successes cancel before anyone stages anywhere.

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Sep 10 2005, 11:43 PM)

It only works that way in melee. In ranged combat successes cancel before anyone stages anywhere.

~J

Hmm. Well, I'm still not sure what the "half a stage" was supposed to mean in this context, since the example used even numbers of successes. (which means things effectively work out as I described them)
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 10 2005, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (M.A.L.E-man @ Sep 10 2005, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (Modesitt @ Sep 10 2005, 09:49 PM)

Nerf is the brand name of a line of foam weapons. To Nerf a weapon is to reduce its deadliness.

The 'nerf it' advice is suggesting that you adjust the rules in YOUR game so that the shotgun (or whatever it is that is overpowered) is no longer so overpowered that it unbalances the game.
eidolon
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Sep 10 2005, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 10 2005, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Sep 10 2005, 04:07 AM)
*nods* Invisibility/Improved Invisibility is a single-sense illusion (sight).  Sure, it will fool any sight-based measures, but it won't fool ultrasound equipment.  For that, you'd need Silence (although that can cause other problems as well).

oh sure, apologize to him nyahnyah.gif

Haha. Just using a post as a reference point for my idiocy. Picked one of the two at what amounts to random chance. On all the other message boards I frequent, the "quote this post" button is on the bottom of each post, so I screw up here all the time.

grinbig.gif

Another note: Thanks to everyone that has posted reminders on how to keep harvesting in check. If you forget to impose the stress and street value it gets ridiculous in a hurry.
Cain

Not exactly. The successes on a ranged attack test are compared-- you add the attackers successes, and remove the defender's, before you determine the final damage code.

So, it works like this: The attacker shoots, and scores 2 successes. Normal Guy tries to dodge, and fails-- no successes. He goes to a Damage Resistance test against a TN of 2, and gets 4 successes.

We now compare totals. The attacker got 2, and the defender got 4 (zero from the Dodge test, and 4 from the Body test). Two of the defender's successes negate the attackers, so he's got a net of 2 successes. That's enough to stage down the damage once, to Light.

Based on this, your first example was off-- the defender would have taken a Moderate. Armor is useful, but only if you've got the Body dice to back it up.

So, if you want to challenge the tank, just have sharpshooters go after him. They can use light pistols; all they need to do is rack up a good number of successes. If we reuse your example, suppose the attacker got 6 successes. With a body of 4, the defender is *going* to take a Serious, if not higher, regardless of his armor rating!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012