Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 and the years to come.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Dogsoup
How do you wish to see SR4 develop in terms of design, package, writing and exposure? What do you think or hope Fanpro will do, and how will it all come out? Will SR4 be a success or a failure and what led up to that?
This is about SR's existence and content in our world, not the players' place in SR: "More/Less street-level!" has been rather covered, don't you think wink.gif? Thus far I think I've settled on the following:

No new rules! This will be somewhat of a mantra for every publication... ever. SR3 really painted itself into a corner on this one IMO. A couple of pages of non-essential rules per book is ok, but all you'll need for every possible situation should exist in the BBB. New "system" stuff should consist of additional skills, equipment and magic.

Fanpro should quickly (as soon as possible) release a few, a handful at the most, "corebooks" of sort. These will be very condensed and feature a wide coverage of their intended subject. They will also adhere to my above statement about rules, and lack geographical fluff entirely. My wishlist is Combat (weapons, gear & possibly vehicles), Everyday Life Book (housing, cosmetic or non-shadowrunner bio/cyber, consumer culture), The Supernatural (magic, spirits and awakened animals) and The Matrix.

The world books, "Shadows of", should be released as thin, stapled books: 60-90 pages or so. One country per book. One or two thicker books with a collection of related places is ok, I guess, but it should be the exception.

Style and visual impact! The layout of SR4 were quite satisfying in visual terms but the art was sometimes unfitting or even ugly. I think, and this is entirely subjective of course, that some of the artists has to be axed from future products. More colour art inside of books! Look to the comic industry, which is quite flourishing in terms of quality IMO, for sources of inspiration and artists.
jervinator
I kinda agree and disagree. While it's nice not to have to cross-reference 5 books to figure out the specific rules for my players guns, adept abilities, cyber/bio-ware, and vehicles, I must most strongly disagree with the part about "... very condensed...".
I find the rules on firearm design presented in Cannon Companion to be far too condensed; I only use them due to a lack of adequate conversion rules from 3G3 (quite detailed, though math-intensive) to SR. Try a 13mm heavy rifle firing a DS round with a 3.9mm DPU penetrator and the rules break down.
As for the no new rules, I feel that ADDITIONAL rules for situations not covered are acceptable... in moderation. But as for a total re-do like Rigger 2 vehicle combat, that is a major no-no.
blakkie
There are going to be new rules in the the core supplements. Hopefully a kinder level of confusion than SR3, but the way the SR4 BBB lays out and the product descriptions/plans read right now they are going to be there.
Rotbart van Dainig
So one can only hope that there will be no new Skills - this is what really screws things up.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 13 2005, 03:03 AM)
So one can only hope that there will be no new Skills - this is what really screws things up.

Well at least there is a very good chance there won't be any new magical skills. The base 6 are intended to be used for all meta magics. No new Skill for each meta magic.
Rotbart van Dainig
And Outdoors and Stealth seem complete, too... yet, this one little thing called Small Unit Tactics is missing - which can either mean it will rear its ugly head again in Arsenal or just has died its well earned death, consumed by Influence - Leadership (Tactics).
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
And Outdoors and Stealth seem complete, too... yet, this one little thing called Small Unit Tactics is missing - which can either mean it will rear its ugly head again in Arsenal or just has died its well earned death, included in Influence - Leadership (Tactics).

Here's one vote for "death to Small Unit Tactics!"

Sure, bring back some variant of its rules if you like... making checks to grant Init bonuses to your team is all good in my book... but the Leadership skill damn well ought to do something, which it never has in any edition of SR I can recall. Considering it has Tactics as a specialty, it's pretty clear that Leadership is the true home for any such rules.

Even now we have details on how Leadership should be resisted(!) but no guidelines on what sort of benefits it might bring!
SirBedevere
What I hope is that SR4 will bring new players into the game. FanPro took a big gamble that a re-write of the rules would bring in many more new players than it caused old players to stop playing (or play SR3 or SR3R or whatever). If the gamble pays off, and we won't know until the dead-tree SR4 has been out for a while, then FanPro will continue to produce SR material.

I hope that the new source books will be 'rules light' as that will make them more attractive to those of us who don't use the SR4 rules. I think that most of the world has been covered by the 'Shadows of ...' books, particularly when SoLA comes out on-line, with the notable exception of Africa. I like Dogsoup's idea of small, single country books; the authors could concentrate on the more interesting/important countries without having to cover those that may not be. Having some of those about African countries would be nice. I personally would like to see a sourcebook of the astral and metaplanes. They are fairly undefined territory at the moment and I would like to see that change. Everyday Life would be one of my choices as well.
Synner
As announced at Origins and GenCon, SR4 upcoming schedule starts off with the core rulebooks: Street Magic, Arsenal, Augmented and Unwired. These are likely to be rules heavy just like their SR3 counterparts - but they will also have more of a fiction component than their predecessors (in fact all books will). Whether Companions will follow remains to be seen. The aim is to keep the rules streamlined, integrated and fully compatible (using the same core mechanic) as the different rules subsets in the BBB.

There might not be a need for an "Everyday Life" book like SSG if the fiction content in the new format books covers those issues.

Also announced at GenCon, the location book format for the immediate future will focus on sprawls rather than nations (the vast majority of material in the Shadows of will remain valid and compatible, excepting the fallout of System Failure). The first of these sprawl books will be Runner Havens which was announced as covering Seattle and Hong Kong in detail and a few other sprawls in less detail. Single country books are too big of a commercial risk to be viable.

Periodic "plotbooks" were also mentioned though what form they will take remains to be seen - I for one would like to see them follow System Failure's lead with lots of fiction and then some track style setup.

Blakkie - I forsee at least one more Magical skill group coming up with Enchanting rules in Street Magic.
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 13 2005, 08:08 PM)
As announced at Origins and GenCon, SR4 upcoming schedule starts off with the core rulebooks: Street Magic, Arsenal, Augmented and Unwired. These are likely to be rules heavy just like their SR3 counterparts - but they will also have more of a fiction component than their predecessors (in fact all books will). Whether Companions will follow remains to be seen. The aim is to keep the rules streamlined, integrated and fully compatible (using the same core mechanic) as the different rules subsets in the BBB.

There might not be a need for an "Everyday Life" book like SSG if the fiction content in the new format books covers those issues.

Also announced at GenCon, the location book format for the immediate future will focus on sprawls rather than nations (the vast majority of material in the Shadows of will remain valid and compatible, excepting the fallout of System Failure). The first of these sprawl books will be Runner Havens which was announced as covering Seattle and Hong Kong in detail and a few other sprawls in less detail. Single country books are too big of a commercial risk to be viable.

Periodic "plotbooks" were also mentioned though what form they will take remains to be seen - I for one would like to see them follow System Failure's lead with lots of fiction and then some track style setup.

Blakkie - I forsee at least one more Magical skill group coming up with Enchanting rules in Street Magic.

Hmm. I for one would prefer for such predictable additional skills to be listed in the Core Book, but essentially left as "Rules to follow in a future supplement; in the meantime, may be used at GM's discretion."

A skill list in the Core Book ought to be as comprehensive as humanly possible, even if applications of those skills need to be left for future elaboration.

Too late now, I suppose.
NightmareX
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 13 2005, 04:05 AM)
Well at least there is a very good chance there won't be any new magical skills. The base 6 are intended to be used for all meta magics. No new Skill for each meta magic..

Unfortunately (or fortunately IMO), they set themselves up to re-introduce three magic skills - the Enchanting skill group.

I agree with the majority (for once) though, death to Small Unit Tactics!
Synner
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern)
Hmm. I for one would prefer for such predictable additional skills to be listed in the Core Book, but essentially left as "Rules to follow in a future supplement; in the meantime, may be used at GM's discretion."

A skill list in the Core Book ought to be as comprehensive as humanly possible, even if applications of those skills need to be left for future elaboration.

You mean like Leadership?

But flippancy aside, there's only so much space and as is a lot more was crammed into the BBB than in previous editions. Few people would be satisfied with placeholder entries.

One thing Rob did announce was that he wanted to keep rules in the rules books. That should help minimize the problems of keeping track of them. Furthermore with a development policy which favors "plug ins" rather than patches and alternate subsets rules bloat should be minimized and streamlined.
Synner
QUOTE (NightmareX)
I agree with the majority (for once) though, death to Small Unit Tactics!

I'm seeing a lot of people assuming that were Small Unit Tactics to be revisited it would function in a similar way to SR3. This might not be the case.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)

With Arsenal, Leadership could become useful... just let it replace the old skill of Small Unit Tactics concerning combat boosts. wink.gif

QUOTE (Synner)
I'm seeing a lot of people assuming that were Small Unit Tactics to be revisited it would function in a similar way to SR3. This might not be the case.

Well, the favored function as a new Skill would be: not at all. grinbig.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Synner)

Doesn't have to be. You could use Ritual Spellcasting and/or Binding along with Assensing for refining materials. Alchemy as a new aura type for specialization in Assensing, and Talismongering as new specialization for the other.

But a whole group you think? Why would you need a whole group?
NightmareX
What Rotbart said. smile.gif
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (Synner @ Sep 13 2005, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern @ Sep 13 2005, 10:13 AM)

Hah. I trump your flippancy with deadly seriousness! smile.gif

Yeah, I do mean like Leadership. It's never been made very crunchy. I would love it to be. But as you said, a book has finite space. I don't insist on all skills having crunch in the core, but I would much prefer for core skills to be crunchified in supplements than for whole new skills to be introduced.

I think it's reasonable for a core book to at least describe the existence of a domain of competency, even if its capabilities are not fleshed out. This allows players who want to use the rules that are coming out in future to peg a few points in there at character generation. Who knows, a GM might even homebrew some placeholder mechanics to go with the placeholder skill.

Players shouldn't open a book to find a new skill, that they have to buy from *zero*, that has never even been mentioned before.

You mentioned a "plug-in" design philosophy. This is a Good Thing. It would be even better if long-foreseen plug-ins already had a metaphorical "expansion slot" prepared for them in the core book. A very good job of this has been done by the new systems for tradition creation, spirit summoning, Initiation and Submersion in the core book. But dropping new skills (other than highly specialized Exotic-type skills) on PCs when they are established characters verges on rude.

To paraphrase the general philosophy of d20 skill mechanics: Don't make new skills. Make new *applications* for existing skills.

Consider: the vehicle mechanic skills are in the book. They have almost no mechanics (EDIT: rules, not greasy-handed technicians) associated with them. We don't need a vehicle-modding ruleset in the core book.

Enchanting/Talismongering-type skills' relationship to the mage is *exactly* analogous to Mechanic's relationship to the rigger. We don't need focus/fetish creation rules in a core book. The skills just need to *be there*.

Anyways, this is once again an entirely moot point of game design philosophy. <shrug> Better luck next time?
MortVent
artisan - might be the skill used for crafting the material componets of foci and the like (covers most/all craft & artistic skills iirc)
Aku
whats the point in writing the words to a skill, and amybe describing it, if the uses arent there. NO character would take talismongering (3) if they had no USE for those points, thus, when street magic DOES come out...they'll still be buying the skill from 0
Eldritch
Dude, skills were left off to be introduced in later supplements?!?!?!

Hahahahahahahahah

Yeah, okay.

Enchantment, a core rules set since the beginning was left out. Nice.

There are a lot of things that have been mentioned about SR4 here at the forums that I just don't like. And a few that I actively hate.

But this. This ranks over there in the stupid column. Totally going against the 'design philophisy. Stream lined. Getting rid of rule bloat an creep. ohplease.gif

No, I never expected them to stick with that. Creep, bloat, whatever you want to call it will happen. And this crap of "Oh you just need the core book to play, the other books are not neccessary, unlees you want to enhance your play. ohplease.gif That is just crap. Anyone that plays SR with ANY regularity will end up buying the books. Why? "Well becuase new rule X in in Y book, and my players want it." Or, "Well I wan to use the Swordfish system introduced in the BLAHBLAHBLAH book, but the GM siad I have to buy the book."

Okay, tirade over. Vented and feel better. sleepy.gif
Grinder
There are always skills a char in my group wanted to have that aren't include in the BBB so i don't care. Back in SR3 it was "stealing a car" (you know, how to open it and start the engine withut the keys) and in SR4 it's "enchanting". No BBB is flawless. wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Eldritch)
Enchantment, a core rules set since the beginning was left out. Nice.

If by core you mean Talismongering was in a core supplement, Magic In The Shadows then yes.
Fortune
QUOTE (Eldritch)
Enchantment, a core rules set since the beginning was left out.

I don't recall Enchanting being in the Core Rules (BBB) for SR1 or SR2.
Kesh
Enchanting was not introduced until the first Grimoire. So, I rather think FanPro is just maintaining a tradition. wink.gif
Synner
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Sep 13 2005, 03:08 PM)
Enchantment, a core rules set since the beginning was  left out.  Nice.

Huh? When were the Enchanting rules in any of the base books (SR1 thru 3)? When did enchanting become core? Get off the soapbox and get your facts straight: SR1 introduced it in the Grimoire, SR2 updated it with Grimoire 2 and SR3 introduced it yet again in MitS.

One thing the SR4 base book does is cram more stuff into it than the SR3 BBB ever did but there's only so much space available.

But this.  This ranks over there in the stupid column.  Totally going against the 'design philophisy. Stream lined. Getting rid of rule bloat an creep.   :please:

Rules creep and bloat are only problems if new rules are not streamlined and previously planned to be seemlessly integrated, compatible, intuitive and follow the same core mechanic. This was never the case with SR3.

If as announced SR4 condenses the rules SR3 divided amongst 8 books in 5 AND manages to add new stuff while keeping everything consistent and integrated (and playing off the same core ruleset), I fail to see how you would consider that anything but streamlining.

No, I never expected them to stick with that.  Creep, bloat, whatever you want to call it will happen.  And this crap of "Oh you just need the core book to play, the other books are not neccessary, unlees you want to enhance your play.  :please: That is just crap.[

You do realize the same thing was said (and holds true) of the SR3 base book. You didn't need anything else, unless you wanted "to enhance your play". FanPro came right out and announced there would be more core rulebooks long before SR4 was released - and also said these would be integrated.

Anyone that plays SR with ANY regularity will end up buying the books.  Why?  "Well becuase new rule X in in Y book, and my players want it." Or, "Well I wan to use the Swordfish system introduced in the BLAHBLAHBLAH book, but the GM siad I have to buy the book."

What are you on about? On the same week SR4 was announced FanPro posted a link to their Winter 2005/06 catalogue which included Street Magic. The names for other core rulebooks have been known for months now. A (limited) number of core rule books was outlined at all the events and seminars FanPro held this year.

What did you think would be in a book called Street Magic that would be the SR4 replacement for Magic in the Shadows if not rules? Some Metamagic techniques were crammed into the BBB but what about the updates to the rest of the MitS rules, the Metamagics in MitS and the SOTAs and the adept powers?
Sabosect
Personally, I forsee rules bloat. As it stands, the system is specifically designed not to stand up to long-term characters. They'll need additional rules to cover that, plus all of the normal additives, plus now they need additional rules for varying the BP and will probably have to introduce an optional simplified system for chargen for those who cannot comprehend the BP system. In addition, we have the items in the BBB that need fleshed out, the new nanotech rules, plus all of the new items and the new weapons you know they are going to introduce.

Basically, we'll end up with an SR3-style rules bloat unless they designed the entirety of this at once. No matter what, you will probably find yourself flipping through multiple books to find a certain rule. The rules may be more "streamlined," but that won't prevent the bloat. In fact, looking at the BBB and SR3, much of that bloat is necessary.
blakkie
The rules may be more "streamlined," but that won't prevent the bloat.

It can make the "bloat" more managable. I think "bloat" is getting the catchall treatment here of any added material that isn't fluff, anything that has hard numbers and is expressed in terms of the rules/dice mechanic.

Under that "bloat" can be a good thing in that it allows you to flesh out the world. But it only tends to be a good thing if presented in a way that allows you to use the new stuff with less pain than the extra is worth.

When i think of "bloat" i typically think of things that do NOT mesh with the existing, or replace the existing rules in places with something different. In that sense "steamlining" with an eye towards expandability can indeed help a LOT in the prevention.
Sabosect
Part of the problem I see is that certain rulesets are no longer as compatible with the system, and any rules they make for advanced characters are not going to jive well with the existing ruleset. The problem with the existing ruleset is that advanced characters are essentially gods in their selected fields, and nothing short of a set of rules contradicting the core rules can fix it.

And that's using just one example. It gets worse when you consider cyberwear issues (specifically, how they have to add rules right now), bioware issues, etc. And we both know that nanotech requires its own ruleset, which may or may not contradict the core rules in some way. And, really, what about the next set of guns? Or the new cyberware?

I do not honestly think they can preserve both the lack of bloat and game balance at the same time. Not using the core mechanics they have.
Cynic project
At this point I want them to never talk about California again. I don't them have runs in that area.I don't want them to talk about PCC because it owns part of California. I want them to pretend that area is not real, and that nothing ever happened to it, cause every single thing they have done to it in the past has been on the lines of. So you thought the last shit we did there was bad, well let us show you how fucked up we can really make it.

Yes Saito being kicked out and the New AAA is good but what the fuck with PCC and the coast line?
Mightyflapjack
I am happy to purchase SR4 related materials for these reason:

#1. I am a fanboy and will support my favorite game.

#2. I love the novels, gimmi MORE!

#3. I love technology, implants, devices, vehicles, weapons, computers/decking, etc...

However, you can keep the truely "military" stuff like Banshees and Battleships..

I have this recurring dream where one of my shadowrun players parks his Banshee LAV in a StufferShack parking lot, and as he is walking away he turns, takes a remote out of his pocket and clicks his car alarm "Dweet! Dweet!" Then goes inside.

===

Rules and "history" events are OK.. but seriously most of that stuff I make up on my own... Nice to have a lot of it made for me, but my North America is very different then the one in the book... and Lone Star has a lot bigger things to worry about then BTLs.

That is my 0.02 nuyen.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Part of the problem I see is that certain rulesets are no longer as compatible with the system, and any rules they make for advanced characters are not going to jive well with the existing ruleset. The problem with the existing ruleset is that advanced characters are essentially gods in their selected fields, and nothing short of a set of rules contradicting the core rules can fix it.

UmmPCs that you let advance to god-like levels are going to be like gods. wobble.gif That's what the SR4 hard cap, and agressive soft cap on SR3 was all about. Trying to keep PCs from godhood so soon.

The basic mechanic of SR4 still [mostly] works there (the Spirit stat blocks are wacked though). If you mean the Threshholds you use for beginning 'runners don't challenge the advanced 'runner, well duh. If you want to challenge the advanced runner you'll have to come up with things that are actually tougher to do...and that difficulty is represented by the Threshhold that gets set.

Fortunately anywhere there is an Opposed roll this happens mostly automatically as you select an appropriately powered opponent, with environmental modifiers and such still playing somewhat of a roll. At least the modifiers are always knocking off the same amount from the average # of hits, even if they don't affect the Hit distribution curve exactly the same.
SL James
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern @ Sep 13 2005, 03:24 AM)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Sep 13 2005, 07:10 PM)
And Outdoors and Stealth seem complete, too... yet, this one little thing called Small Unit Tactics is missing - which can either mean it will rear its ugly head again in Arsenal or just has died its well earned death, included in Influence - Leadership (Tactics).

Here's one vote for "death to Small Unit Tactics!"

Sure, bring back some variant of its rules if you like... making checks to grant Init bonuses to your team is all good in my book... but the Leadership skill damn well ought to do something, which it never has in any edition of SR I can recall. Considering it has Tactics as a specialty, it's pretty clear that Leadership is the true home for any such rules.

There's already a mechanic in the core book that is similar to Small Unit Tactics. It's an optional rule when utilized with tactical information feeds overlayed to your AR-linked teammates, and it's described in the opening story, Buzzkill.

It's in the black box on page 208 titled, "AR Modifiers". It suggests that dice pool or Initiative bonuses might be available, but at GM fiat (god forbid they add some goddamn rules in the rule book). That's... well, identical to the SUT bonus without even needing to roll dice (how... simplified).
Sabosect
QUOTE (blakkie)
UmmPCs that you let advance to god-like levels are going to be like gods. wobble.gif That's what the SR4 hard cap, and agressive soft cap on SR3 was all about. Trying to keep PCs from godhood so soon.

Okay, let's consider a realistic problem. If I don't give them enough karma, I'm being a bad GM. If I kill a character simply because of how powerful they got, I'm a bad GM. If I have Mr. 24s guarding the Stuffer Shack that holds the phone the players plan on using as a distraction instead of normal security guards, then I'm a bad GM. I have a whole list of these, all of which present problems to balancing out the characters. And, yes, it comes from watching this site. Thus, my problem comes across as to how to balance it out without resulting to tactics that are bad GMing. And, unfortunately, I see that as becomming an increasing problem as the players gain karma.

The basic mechanic of SR4 still [mostly] works there (the Spirit stat blocks are wacked though). If you mean the Threshholds you use for beginning 'runners don't challenge the advanced 'runner, well duh.  If you want to challenge the advanced runner you'll have to come up with things that are actually tougher to do...and that difficulty is represented by the Threshhold that gets set.

You mean, like shooting a moving target in pitch blackness using burst fire? Wait, a smart player can do that at chargen... Oooh! I know! They must do such things as turn water into wine without magic and squeeze blood from rocks!

Seriously, the problem I see is that what you advise either requires a rewrite of the modifiers or to simply ignore them. Either way, they are mostly not that useful.

Fortunately anywhere there is an Opposed roll this happens mostly automatically as you select an appropriately powered opponent, with environmental modifiers and such still playing somewhat of a roll. At least the modifiers are always knocking off the same amount from the average # of hits, even if they don't affect the Hit distribution curve exactly the same.

Once again, being forced to use supermen in situations where it is not realistic to face them. Without using them, most of the run becomes a cakewalk.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SL James)
There's already a mechanic in the core book that is similar to Small Unit Tactics. It's an optional rule when utilized with tactical information feeds overlayed to your AR-linked teammates

True... but that is somewhat automated, without, well, any actual descisions made by someone.
Eldritch
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Sep 13 2005, 03:08 PM)
Enchantment, a core rules set since the beginning was  left out.  Nice.

Huh? When were the Enchanting rules in any of the base books (SR1 thru 3)? When did enchanting become core? Get off the soapbox and get your facts straight: SR1 introduced it in the Grimoire, SR2 updated it with Grimoire 2 and SR3 introduced it yet again in MitS.

One thing the SR4 base book does is cram more stuff into it than the SR3 BBB ever did but there's only so much space available.

Yeah, it's been around for 3 'generations' of the rules. It's an intricate part of the setting - not fluff powers and spells. It should have been in the MRB, listed with the other skills. In fact, any skill you planned on adding later should have been in the MRB. Sorry if you didn't have the room - but there it is.

But this.  This ranks over there in the stupid column.  Totally going against the 'design philophisy. Stream lined. Getting rid of rule bloat an creep.  ohplease.gif

Rules creep and bloat are only problems if new rules are not streamlined and previously planned to be seemlessly integrated, compatible, intuitive and follow the same core mechanic. This was never the case with SR3.

If as announced SR4 condenses the rules SR3 divided amongst 8 books in 5 AND manages to add new stuff while keeping everything consistent and integrated (and playing off the same core ruleset), I fail to see how you would consider that anything but streamlining.

Cutting down 8 books int 5 is not that impressive, sorry. Keeping it Streamlined and consistant - that will be impressive.

No, I never expected them to stick with that.  Creep, bloat, whatever you want to call it will happen.  And this crap of "Oh you just need the core book to play, the other books are not neccessary, unlees you want to enhance your play.  ohplease.gif That is just crap.[

You do realize the same thing was said (and holds true) of the SR3 base book. You didn't need anything else, unless you wanted "to enhance your play". FanPro came right out and announced there would be more core rulebooks long before SR4 was released - and also said these would be integrated.

See above - can they keep it integrated?
Sorry, but the Line 'Everyhting you need to play' just gets me for some reason - as a RP'er for a very long time I know it's just a line. A majority of the players will by the additional source books. If you try to be a GM with just the core book, no one will want to play. And if you try and play off just the core book you'll rapidly get overwlemed with the 'Enhanced' stuff everyone else is playing with. Game companies Count on it. Bank on it. It's a part if the entire industry. That line, while technically true, should be stricken.

Anyone that plays SR with ANY regularity will end up buying the books.  Why?  "Well becuase new rule X in in Y book, and my players want it." Or, "Well I wan to use the Swordfish system introduced in the BLAHBLAHBLAH book, but the GM siad I have to buy the book."

What are you on about? On the same week SR4 was announced FanPro posted a link to their Winter 2005/06 catalogue which included Street Magic. The names for other core rulebooks have been known for months now. A (limited) number of core rule books was outlined at all the events and seminars FanPro held this year.

What did you think would be in a book called Street Magic that would be the SR4 replacement for Magic in the Shadows if not rules? Some Metamagic techniques were crammed into the BBB but what about the updates to the rest of the MitS rules, the Metamagics in MitS and the SOTAs and the adept powers?

Physical adepts and meta magic were all part of the supp. rules as well, and slowly added the the MRB. Why would enchanting be left out?

What am I on about? Well, you asked;

The death of my favorite game. Done. Gone. Buried. And somehting else standing there in it's place with the same name. The entire setting, the flavor of the game has been changed. Everything that has been done to the game has killed it for me.

I was eagerly anticipatating the new novels. Now, I'm not even really interested.

What did I think?
Well when the announcement was made, I was hoping for similar rules. Not an entire rewrite.
Then I thought, "Well thats that. But at least the setting is good. The novels and some of the event books should be good."
But no, thats changed as well.

It would have been nice if fanpro would have taken advantage of 15 years of playtesting and built on that. Now they are back at square one. See ya in a couple years for SR4.5 the "Er, we left this out, or didn't think of this' edition.
Shadow_Prophet
Oh boy...

Sabosect:

In both sr3 and sr4 your characters after a while can become virtual gods at what they do. When they do become such the game shifts a bit and becomes more tactical. At that point in which they become gods, throwing things at them with the same level of power if not more, constantly is bad GMing. Killing a character because he's 'too powerful' is bad GMing. Having Mr 24 guard that payphone they need to use to complete a run might be bad GMing, but a street bum look alike who's tapped the phone before the runners got there and while looking passed out is actualy observing them probably wouldn't be.

You have to think. What are my players good at? What do they have to loose? How can I challenge them without being a bad GM?

In my opinion it was harder to challenge a character in sr3 when they got to the point of god in their field. Ushualy took a good deal of karma to become that god, and because of that their karma pool was their buffer from anything bad from happening to them. So surprise situations wouldn't always work, especialy if your players were smart with their KP. Out thinking your players was paramount. And it still is, though with the new rules surprise is actualy quite effective again.

They don't have to break the current rules or contradict them to provide for advanced play. You want to get down and dirty as professional Runners in azzie lands? Alright, up the built points available at CG and lets rock and roll. Its entirely possible to run advanced games with the base system here. It just takes a little forethough combined with the ability to think abstractly. A good GM should be able to exploit the weakness' of his PC's as well as turn their strengths against them if he needs to.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Eldritch)

What am I on about? Well, you asked;

The death of my favorite game. Done. Gone. Buried. And somehting else standing there in it's place with the same name. The entire setting, the flavor of the game has been changed. Everything that has been done to the game has killed it for me.

I was eagerly anticipatating the new novels. Now, I'm not even really interested.

What did I think?
Well when the announcement was made, I was hoping for similar rules. Not an entire rewrite.
Then I thought, "Well thats that. But at least the setting is good. The novels and some of the event books should be good."
But no, thats changed as well.

It would have been nice if fanpro would have taken advantage of 15 years of playtesting and built on that. Now they are back at square one. See ya in a couple years for SR4.5 the "Er, we left this out, or didn't think of this' edition.

Well let me weigh in on your opinion there.

What has happened to your favorite game.

The entire setting has changed? I don't see where it has really. Instead of everything being wired, its wireless for the most part. A few of the concepts have been tweaked slightly and a few of the lines blurred between them, but nothing gone.

Actualy to me SR3 killed alot of what I felt shadowrun was from SR2. SR3 felt to me to be more of Fantasy with a little bit of a cyberpunk backdrop. Whereas to me SR2 felt like cyberpunk with a little bit of fantasy thrown in. But maybe thats because I never had the chance to grab the magic book for second ed. But even the adventures, which thanks to a good friend I've lost contact with I have a good bit of, in second eddition focused more on cyberpunk. SR3 was high magic. Everywhere you looked something magical was going on. Oh look the commet, SURGE, ect ect ect. The list goes on.

Then you come to SR4. And right from the word go it FEELS like cyberpunk. The setting, the stories, all oooze cyberpunk and grit to me. The descriptions of the standard archetypes, and what shadowrunners are, oozes grit.

So to me, SR4 is a godsend if just for the emphasis change that I've percieved so far. So I'm wondering why you think the flavor has been changed.

As for the new novels? Meh. I'll write my own, and come up with my own plots.

As for the rules changes. I'm glad they did it. In my opinion SR3 was abomidable. They needed a entire re-write and badly.

[sarcasm]Yes because they didn't learn a thing from those 15 years of playtesting. They ignored every suggestion ever made. Ignored every mistake and what they learned from those mistakes. They threw out all the collective knowledge of shadowrun out of the door and decided to start blank as if they had never looked at a shadowrun book in their lives[/sarcasm]

Do you realize how rediculouse that sounds? They have attmepted, and what I can see have very much succeeded in my opinion, to make the rules easier to understand, and all virtualy work similarly. I don't have to learn a completely new rule set to play a mage. I don't have to learn a completely new rule set to play a hacker or rigger. Everything runs off esentialy the same engine. There are a few things that change between the archetypes, but I don't have to figure out what all the system ratings are, what they mean, which ar e for which tests, what my programs actualy do, ect ect ect.

And if you look at the BBB you can see they have attempted at the very least to include all the skills they want to. theres the pilot arthroform skill, but no arthroform drones in the BBB, which would suggest there will be some later. Theres not nephritic screen right now, but its mentioned in the BBB as providing a bonus somewhere. I think they've made a very good effort to do what they said they would. Condense and streamline.

I don't think Shadowrun is dead, I think its been saved from SR3.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 14 2005, 12:59 PM)
But even the adventures, which thanks to a good friend I've lost contact with I have a good bit of, in second eddition focused more on cyberpunk.

*Ahem* Harlequin's Back?

I'm not feeling the grit, either.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Eldritch)
It would have been nice if fanpro would have taken advantage of 15 years of playtesting and built on that.

It would seem they did, only an answer you didn't like came back and it was "REBOOT! Then rebuild it based upon the knowledge gained and the form of the SR world." There are actually a LOT of style, flavour, and form similarities.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 14 2005, 12:59 PM)
But even the adventures, which thanks to a good friend I've lost contact with I have a good bit of, in second eddition focused more on cyberpunk.

*Ahem* Harlequin's Back?

I'm not feeling the grit, either.

~J

Yup one of my favorite runs out of any of SR2. But yes it did have a very magical bent to it.

But as I said to me it felt more Cyberpunk than SR3 ever did to me.

So let me ask you since you don't feel the grit. Why not? What makes SR4 seem so squeeky clean story/fluff/rules wise?
Synner
QUOTE (Eldritch @ Sep 14 2005, 04:09 PM)
Yeah, it's been around for 3 'generations' of the rules.  It's an intricate part of the setting - not fluff powers and spells.  It should have been in the MRB, listed with the other skills.  In fact, any skill you planned on adding later should have been in the MRB.  Sorry if you didn't have the room - but there it is.

Just because it's been in three iterations of the rules doesn't make it essential. If it were that essential it would have been in SR3's BBB. It wasn't. Given space allowances and the fact that supplemental rulebooks were announced FanPro left the non-essentials for later books. As always you're entitled to your opinion, but as this thread has shown on that very subject opinions vary.

Now if FanPro had announced that the BBB was all that you would ever need to play with I'd be right by your side. FanPro didn't.

Including Initiation (and Submersion) in the core rules this time round was at least partially a move to cater to the demands of SR old timers (newbs to the system wouldn't even know the options were there until Street Magic came out). FanPro included them because they were a reasonable demand and those rules opened the way for future development. Given space constraints certain other material was considered non-essential in the pages allocated for each section.

Cutting down 8 books int 5 is not that impressive, sorry.  Keeping it Streamlined and consistant - that will be impressive.

Well, opinions will vary. Compressing most of the no-fiction, strictly rules information that filled FASA's 6 books + FanPro's two SOTAs into 5 books seems impressive to me.

For what its worth what I've seen of development of Street Magic it is fully integrated, consistent and as streamlined as the BBB, so I'm pretty optimistic.

See above - can they keep it integrated?

Yes.

Sorry, but the Line 'Everyhting you need to play' just gets me for some reason - as a RP'er for a very long time I know it's just a line.  A majority of the players will by the additional source books.  If you try to be a GM with just the core book, no one will want to play. And if you try and play off just the core book you'll rapidly get overwlemed with the 'Enhanced' stuff everyone else is playing with.  Game companies Count on it.  Bank on it.  It's a part if the entire industry.  That line, while technically true, should be stricken.

Cool. Just as long as we're clear your problem there is with the RPG industry and not specific to SR4 and that in fact that particular gripe is applicable to SR3.

Physical adepts and meta magic were all part of the supp. rules as well, and slowly added the the MRB.  Why would enchanting be left out?

Actually no. Physical adepts were introduced in SR2 core rules (previously they'd only appeared in Grimoire) and the amount of material dedicated to them in the core book has remained consistent through all three iterations of the game since. Though SR4 is actually the first edition to break the mold of introducing almost exclusively combat oriented powers in the BBB.

As to metamagic, you're just plain wrong. They've never ever been in the core rules until now and that's because they were never considered essential by previous edition's developers (even though they've been around since the Grimoire 1 just like the Enchanting rules).

What am I on about?  Well, you asked;

I was asking in context (especifically regarding Street Magic and its contents) I am fully aware of what you think about SR4, just about everyone regular on this board can't help but be.

The death of my favorite game.  Done. Gone.  Buried.  And somehting else standing there in it's place with the same name.  The entire setting, the flavor of the game has been changed.  Everything that has been done to the game has killed it for me.

Okay. I know how that goes. What they've done to Trinity and Adventure! was excruciatingly painful for me (and as it turned out ultimately futile in relaunching the games).

If you were particularly attached to a rules intensive way of playing SR then SR4 was bound to be a shock. But then again you've know from the start the mechanics were changing from the ground up. You've known for 6 months. Mourn your loss and move on. Or don't, keep playing SR3 or SR3R. Don't like a game don't play it.

As to the setting, I obviously disagree with you. It's still Shadowrun, just 5 years on. I've lived through equally traumatic updates between all editions and this one has been softer than SR1 to SR2. Of course, it all boils down to how you played SR in the first place (with no way being better than the other , just different). I've been GMing SR4 for 6 months now pretty regularly and it hasn't particularly changed my players' style of play or the way I play the world.

I was eagerly anticipatating the new novels.  Now, I'm not even really interested.

I assume you know that the new novels (at least the first batch) from Wizkids will be set in the SR3 /2065 setting?

What did I think?  Well when the announcement was made, I was hoping for similar rules.  Not an entire rewrite. Then I thought, "Well thats that.  But at least the setting is good. The novels and some of the event books should be good." But no, thats changed as well.

Care to elaborate? What has changed so significantly setting wise that its no longer isntantly recognizable as Shadowrun and the Sixth World?

It would have been nice if fanpro would have taken advantage of 15 years of playtesting and built on that.  Now they are back at square one.

There were reasons FanPro believed a new edition and a complete revision of the rules was not only necessary (even if as you put it it sent them back to "square one" - personally I don't think it did) it was worth gambling a "guaranteed" fan following on. Some of those reasons are obvious to anyone who follows the RPG industry, others will not be. Regardless, FanPro did what it believed was the best thing to keep the game alive for years to come. FanPro knew from the start (and if not from the start from the very first reactions to the SR4 announcements) what was at stake and they still went ahead. It would be interesting if you considered what that implies and why FanPro might have thought following on 15 years of playtesting wasn't the way to go.

Whether you agree with the decision or not is ultimately irrelevant, because even in our little hardcore DSF community for everyone who has had such a drastic reaction to SR4 there's someone like Shadow_Prophet who thinks SR4 (despite its flaws) is a step in the right direction.

See ya in a couple years for SR4.5 the "Er, we left this out, or didn't think of this' edition.

I'm willing if you are. I'd even be willing to bet on it.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 14 2005, 01:19 PM)
So let me ask you since you don't feel the grit.  Why not?  What makes SR4 seem so squeeky clean story/fluff/rules wise?

Let's see:

Start with the cover art. A team of runners posing for a family portrait. I think enough has been said about that elsewhere. Compare to the cover of SR3: cartoony one can certainly argue, but things are solidly happening, and not only are they happening they're going wrong. There's no one in this scene in danger of falling asleep, while the most alert person in the SR4 cover is the rat.

Move to the opening fiction, Buzzkill. Like See How They Run, it's a basic story of a backstabbing Johnson and the run they send the team on. Like See How They Run, at the end the main character has made it out alive.

In See How They Run the story ends with Animal looking for revenge, certainly. Looking for revenge, but he hasn't found it. He's at the start of a potentially very long chase after another team on the slimmest of evidence. He's also lost someone who they really get across was close to him, his teammate. The details make it. The way Animal knows his fixer will demand extra if it's known that Animal really needs the cred. The way it's always "Flash and me", as well as the intentional incorrect use of "me". The way one of the corpers they pass by is exultant over the arrival of real coffee. See How They Run, in my opinion, oozes grit.

Then we have Buzzkill, which simply doesn't. Everything about the story screams "simple". Simple meet, simple job, simple betrayal, simple revenge. It's all over and done with neatly, there's certainty (see the tactical overlay and the Xs removing fog-of-war), and we really don't get any feel for any particular attachment any member of the team feels for another except vaguely at the very end (and brief strings of profanity). It doesn't feel gritty, it feels emotionless.

The intro by FastJack brings the grit. Unfortunately the history section doesn't carry it, I may get to that later.

I've got more (much, much more) but it'll have to wait, things came up.

~J
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 14 2005, 01:19 PM)
So let me ask you since you don't feel the grit.  Why not?  What makes SR4 seem so squeeky clean story/fluff/rules wise?

Let's see:

Start with the cover art. A team of runners posing for a family portrait. I think enough has been said about that elsewhere. Compare to the cover of SR3: cartoony one can certainly argue, but things are solidly happening, and not only are they happening they're going wrong. There's no one in this scene in danger of falling asleep, while the most alert person in the SR4 cover is the rat.

Move to the opening fiction, Buzzkill. Like See How They Run, it's a basic story of a backstabbing Johnson and the run they send the team on. Like See How They Run, at the end the main character has made it out alive.

In See How They Run the story ends with Animal looking for revenge, certainly. Looking for revenge, but he hasn't found it. He's at the start of a potentially very long chase after another team on the slimmest of evidence. He's also lost someone who they really get across was close to him, his teammate. The details make it. The way Animal knows his fixer will demand extra if it's known that Animal really needs the cred. The way it's always "Flash and me", as well as the intentional incorrect use of "me". The way one of the corpers they pass by is exultant over the arrival of real coffee. See How They Run, in my opinion, oozes grit.

Then we have Buzzkill, which simply doesn't. Everything about the story screams "simple". Simple meet, simple job, simple betrayal, simple revenge. It's all over and done with neatly, there's certainty (see the tactical overlay and the Xs removing fog-of-war), and we really don't get any feel for any particular attachment any member of the team feels for another except vaguely at the very end (and brief strings of profanity). It doesn't feel gritty, it feels emotionless.

The intro by FastJack brings the grit. Unfortunately the history section doesn't carry it, I may get to that later.

I've got more (much, much more) but it'll have to wait, things came up.

~J

I'm not overly fond of the art. I think sr2's art was far more gritty than sr3's, which was comical looking which to me takes away that feel of stuff going wrong. Plus there was a pterodactyl in the background if i'm not mistaken? I don't like sr4's cover art any better.

In SR3's story, yes I'll agree, you do get a bit more feel of the bond between the characters, but then again a much smaller team if i'm not mistaken? 2 people pluss the add on of the dwarf? Where as in buzzkill you have a full team?

Anyways I may be wrong with that last part, it certainly has been a while since I read it. Let me share with you my views of Buzzkill.

Buzzkill's the first thing that introduces you to the setting. It gives you a feel of how AR works and how people interact with it on a daily basis. The meet, and whats expected in the run, are as neat and clean as they were, if my memory serves, in "See how they run". Anyways then Buzzkill brings in a part of shadowrun alot of people leave out. Legwork. The team tries to figure out if they're getting screwed or whatnot. Run goes down, bad stuff happens, main char looses 2 of his team mates but manages to get out with his hacker and mage.

So afterwards the story doesn't stop. They do the legwork they find out how/why they got screwed and found out their own fixer sold them out. The guy they're supposed to trust to get them stuff and runs, sold them out.

To me Buzzkill shows you alot more of the shadowrun world, and what you're supposed to do, than "see how they run" ever did. It emphasises the changes in the world, it emphasizes that even the guy you trust might sell you out for a grand, it emphasizes legwork.

I think its the perfect intro for sr4 (though I do remember liking SR2's story better still).
Kyoto Kid

Like Disguise Skill showing up in SOTA 63, or Wilderness survival in one of the "Target" supplements. I'm surprised that neither of these were included in the SR3 core book. Both are pretty basic and essential skills.
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, until supplements came out, Survival was a Knowledge Skill (as were Small Unit Tactics) and Disguise was covered by Stealth.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Plus there was a pterodactyl in the background if i'm not mistaken?

If you look closely I'm pretty sure those are bats. Weird-looking bats I'll grant, but bats.

~J
Hell Hound
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet @ Sep 14 2005, 02:36 PM)
Plus there was a pterodactyl in the background if i'm not mistaken?

If you look closely I'm pretty sure those are bats. Weird-looking bats I'll grant, but bats.

~J

They're Sirens. If you can lay your hands on a copy of the first edition sourcebook Paranormal Animals of North America you will see them rendered by a different artist.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

Like Disguise Skill showing up in SOTA 63, or Wilderness survival in one of the "Target" supplements. I'm surprised that neither of these were included in the SR3 core book. Both are pretty basic and essential skills.

Oh, this is one thing I like about SR4's BBB... they front-loaded the skills. There are several skills that aren't even fully-supported yet (Pilot Anthroform comes to mind), but I think it's better to have the full skill list right off the bat in the core book than to add skills one by one in later supplements (bleh).

Of course, they left out Enchanting, hrm... maybe they should have thought twice about that one (unless Enchanting is no longer based on a separate skill in street magic).
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, the Shiawase Kanmushi is an Anthroform Drone - it walks on four legs. wink.gif
Synner
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Oh, this is one thing I like about SR4's BBB... they front-loaded the skills. There are several skills that aren't even fully-supported yet (Pilot Anthroform comes to mind), but I think it's better to have the full skill list right off the bat in the core book than to add skills one by one in later supplements (bleh).

Of course, they left out Enchanting, hrm... maybe they should have thought twice about that one (unless Enchanting is no longer based on a separate skill in street magic).

The decisive factor in the non-inclusion of Enchanting was probably the fact that unlike something like Pilot: Anthroform whose usage is an intuitive extension of all the other piloting rules, Enchanting skills aren't really playable without further guidelines on foci creation which would have taken up. Even Mechanics is of some use for vehicle repair without full vehicular customization or modification rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012