Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking feedback on run idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
nick012000
Umm... Horrors aren't Namegivers, right? So it couldn't produce other Named Horrors, and even if it could, Named Horrors are supposed to be unique, right?

However, I would let it reabsorb its servitors and add their Force to its own.

Also, I would give it the Sacrifice metamagic, and allow it to sacrifice anyone its servitors possessed, without needing any tools or rolls to do so (describe it as the person's blood being forced out of every orifice and pore in their skin).

This would serve two purposes. Firstly, it could use the blood of people to lessen the Drain of any spells the person the Named Horror is possessing, and for said meatbody to summon blood spirits. Secondly, it would allow it to pose a serious threat to the world, because the more people its Servitors kill, the more Servitors it gets, and once it gets enough people possessed by them, it can attempt a Great Ghost Dance-style blood ritual that is specifically designed to create a bridge between the Earth and the Horrors metaplane, kicking off the Scourge quite a bit early...

On another note, it should pollute Astral Space in a manner similar to cyberzombies or people with the Astral Hazing SURGE effect. Possibly even dealing (Background Count)M damage to any mages who cast spells in the area without using the Filtering metamagic.

Also, I agree that it would almost certainly agree to leave with the PCs. It has access to the memories of the person being possessed, so it would know that it is being extracted, and that it can't get the Scourge going while he's being monitored by the Azzies. Once it gets extracted, however, it might very well make a run for the Redmond Barrens, where it would have its servitors possess a building full of squatters, and the local gangs, before spreading out into the corporate world, at which point the bizarre murders are going to start making news...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Oct 12 2005, 11:46 PM)
Umm... Horrors aren't Namegivers, right? So it couldn't produce other Named Horrors, and even if it could, Named Horrors are supposed to be unique, right?

We really don't know how Named Horrors come about. However, a name is something that is intrinsic to the nature of a spirit, not really something that is bestowed. Not even allies have True Names untill they go Free and they obtain that Name instantly through some act of the universe, not by the effort of any metahuman.

The exact nature of Namegiving is quite complex. A metahuman would still be a metahuman if it was never given a name. People will still have True Patterns and True names, even if no one recognizes them. At its most basic, Naming is simply a way of describing a True Pattern that already exists.

The one thing that seperates a Free Spirit with a True Name from a nameless spirit is Spirit Energy. Free Spirits instantly get 1 point of spirit energy. I would postulate that this spirit energy, which can be derived from metahuman karma, is somehow related to the spirit's True Pattern.

This "Naming" ritual is simply imbueing a Servitor with Spirit Energy, distilled from metahuman karma, which catalizes the transformation of the Servitor's Pattern into a True Pattern.

I would also wonder if it wants to get the Scourge going. It has the world to itself, pretty much. If the Scourge came about it would have to compete with other, more powerfull, Horrors.

It would also be limited like other Free Spirits in that it cannot gain Karma except by voluntary gift from a metahuman.
Velocity
QUOTE (Slump)
Does the life vessel need to be near the Nomad?

No it doesn't.

QUOTE (Slump)
Depending on how things work, the Nomad could pretend to put up a fight, then 'realize it's hopeless,' and flee the body of it's own free will (...) plays decoy and *wham,* he gets to wreck havoc on all of aztalan, not just the undersea dome.

This is kind of what I was thinking too. Also, while the nomad has recently become exponentially more powerful, it hasn't adjusted to its newfound freedom and is having trouble thinking outside the box (or, in this case, thinking outside the aquadome). At the time the run begins, it probably hasn't any ambitions beyond wreaking havoc on the thousands of Saotome employees trapped beneath the water with it.

QUOTE (nick012000)
Umm... Horrors aren't Namegivers, right?

This one is. devil.gif Seriously, is it really "impossible" for something to ascend to Namegiver status?

QUOTE (nick012000)
Also, I would give it the Sacrifice metamagic (...) it can attempt a Great Ghost Dance-style blood ritual that is specifically designed to create a bridge between the Earth and the Horrors metaplane, kicking off the Scourge quite a bit early...

While this is a great idea, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself with this run. This entire plotline you're suggesting--while interesting and worth pursuing--goes a little beyond what I planned to explore during this one scenario.

QUOTE (nick012000)
On another note, it should pollute Astral Space in a manner similar to cyberzombies or people with the Astral Hazing SURGE effect.

Why?

QUOTE (nick012000)
Also, I agree that it would almost certainly agree to leave with the PCs. It has access to the memories of the person being possessed, so it would know that it is being extracted, and that it can't get the Scourge going while he's being monitored by the Azzies.

Although this is a good argument, I'd envisioned the nomad as not having fully formed its own ambitions yet and certainly not committed itself to initiating the Scourge. Eventually, yes--definitely. vegm.gif
Velocity
A quick summary (please feel free to correct/comment/crticize -- everyone's input has been amazing so far):

The Saotome corporation, a major Yamatetsu subsidiary and operator of the world-famous Saotome Aquadome, is experimenting with new marketing techniques using paracritters. They have hired an Aztechnology marketing guru for an extended consultancy. Antonio Grandin (an Initiated Puma Shaman) and his research assistant have been on-site for three weeks, studying the aquadome's menagerie, which includes a nomad held in techno-magical "stasis."

An incident occurs, which frees the nomad. (N.B.: this needs to be fleshed out.)

The Force 18 nomad (who shall be temporarily known as "Joe," after a particularly sadistic boss I once had), upon being freed from captivity, immediately splits into two separate Force 9 nomads: one attacks Grandin and the other attacks his research assistant. Although he's a competent mage Grandin was caught completely off-guard (coughplotdevicecough). He and his assistant both succumb to the nomads' attacks and become possessed. From there, the "infestation" easily spreads across the facility.

In the case of Grandin's possession, because 'Joe' was subtly 'altered' by its prolonged captivity, the act of possessing him results in the creation of a Free Spirit. The same did not happen with the research assistant because Grandin is also an Initiate and had a unique relationship with the spirit before it was freed.

The runners are hired by a Johnson secretly working for Deus. Deus has not yet launched the Arcology Shutdown in my campaign and is collecting resources: the AI has plans which require an ad-man of Grandin's abilities. The team is hired to break into the aquadome, extract Grandin and return him to the Johnson.

At the time they're hired, the world doesn't yet know that anything's wrong at the aquadome--it's a high-security facility anyway. Saotome execs know that something's gone seriously wrong at their facility and are launching an investigation of their own, which may affect the runners' plans eventually.

(If the whole 'Deus' angle doesn't work in your campaign, have Saotome hire the runners. They want the mystery of their suddenly-silent aquadome solved before their parent megacorp--Yamatetsu--catches wind of any problems.)
Crusher Bob
Note that with all the death and destruction, the aquadome will liekly have a background count. Maybe 3-4 in places, depending on how bad things are and how long they have been going on.
Velocity
As a first draft, what do you think? I haven't chosen his metamagics yet and I haven't assigned ratings to his skills or spells, but I wanted to start fleshing him out a bit.

------------------------

Antonio Grandin, (Shaman of Puma, Grade 3 Initiate)

[ Spoiler ]
Velocity
Okay, here's a first draft of Grandin's background and personality:

[ Spoiler ]
Velocity
Here's take two on Grandin's stats. Still tweaking a bit.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012