Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help - Kinda Fast too
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Leviathan
QUOTE (Lucifer)
So, basically what I'm saying is the tray is safe but modest and the box is risky but has a huge potential payoff. Really, nothing you didn't know before you asked. So the question is: do you feel lucky, punk?

Actually it's far more likely that the safe contains abot a gram of oricalcum that we get to sell for about 1/4 street value.
ShadowDragon8685
This is for the non-DMs.

[ Spoiler ]

Now, for Levithan? Take the goddamned cash. Just take it. Drop the whole 250,000 nuyen.gif on upgrading your Decker, have him get into the faccility's systems, remove the security evidence of your team, then sell everything and everyone, including Wuxing, upriver to Cross Applied Tech. Offer your services in getting the faccility back - and name YOUR price, this time. Make it cheap enough to be worth their while in hiring you, but name your own price. And when you bring it to Wuxing, in all the chaos, nobody'll notice if a few more trays go missing, or their contents got scattered during firefights, and a lump off of each tray went MIA. Those Wuxing crooks, eh? smile.gif
Leviathan
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Now, for Levithan? Take the goddamned cash. Just take it. Drop the whole 250,000 nuyen.gif on upgrading your Decker, have him get into the faccility's systems, remove the security evidence of your team, then sell everything and everyone, including Wuxing, upriver to Cross Applied Tech. Offer your services in getting the faccility back - and name YOUR price, this time. Make it cheap enough to be worth their while in hiring you, but name your own price. And when you bring it to Wuxing, in all the chaos, nobody'll notice if a few more trays go missing, or their contents got scattered during firefights, and a lump off of each tray went MIA. Those Wuxing crooks, eh? smile.gif

We dont have a decker, I dont think anyone has even a decent computers skill....

*Sigh* I never thought I'd be in the position where blowing up myself and my team in order to try and take a few corp randoms out to spite my GM would be so tempting..
blakkie
QUOTE (Leviathan)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 1 2005, 09:30 AM)

We dont have a decker, I dont think anyone has even a decent computers skill....

*Sigh* I never thought I'd be in the position where blowing up myself and my team in order to try and take a few corp randoms out to spite my GM would be so tempting..

frown.gif See folks, yet another game claimed victim by a Dungeonmaster In Complete Kontrol.
ShadowDragon8685
No decker?

Okay. Well, while the suicide bomb idea is certainly tempting...

Remember that you have money now. You can do something amazing.

You can hire one of those criminal Shadowrunner guys, I hear they're nasty but great at what they do, to do the decking for you.

Remember. Don't ever, under any circumstances, attempt to betray the decker. Chances are he's set up a dead-man's drop somewhere that'll land you out of the frying pan and into the deep fat fry.

Failing that? I dunno.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Leviathan @ Nov 1 2005, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 1 2005, 09:30 AM)

frown.gif See folks, yet another game claimed victim by a Dungeonmaster In Complete Kontrol.

Yep. Sad, but true. That is truely the act of a desperate man, but more, it's the act of a desperate player who feels like nothing he does has any impact, that he's on a rail, and that no matter what he does, he's going to be getting screwed.
Leviathan
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Remember. Don't ever, under any circumstances, attempt to betray the decker. Chances are he's set up a dead-man's drop somewhere that'll land you out of the frying pan and into the deep fat fry.

Failing that? I dunno.

Hehe, my Shadowrun knowledge may not be great, but I certainly know better than to screw over people you hire wink.gif. In fact they usually get bonuses and 'above-and-beyond' treatment. Except that dude that ran off with the goods he was analysing for me, he's going to have to be dealt with....
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Enigma @ Oct 31 2005, 10:48 PM)
This often led to me being able to indicate looting was not on by simply having NPCs watch the player rifle through a security-guard's underwear for loose change with a subtly raised eyebrow and a mild sneer of contempt.

They should get a sneer right back. Every nuyen that does not go into your pocket is one less nuyen you have to retire or keep you alive. Not looting when there is no disadvantage is unprofessional.

Worse than that, as I've pointed out previously, if you don't loot it shows something extremely dangerous about you—it shows that you aren't in this for the money. If you've got another agenda, and I don't know what it is, I'm going to be very careful about you—there are few better ways to be put on someone's hit list.

~J

Looters should be sneered out because looting is so inefficient. Harvesting, on the other hand, is worth the refrigerated van, the medical equipment, and the heavily warded meat locker.

Really, there is no excuse for a character to not have a few level 1 contacts in Tanamous and Asamondo.
Leviathan
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Yep. Sad, but true. That is truely the act of a desperate man, but more, it's the act of a desperate player who feels like nothing he does has any impact, that he's on a rail, and that no matter what he does, he's going to be getting screwed.

The 'getting screwed' part yep, pretty much right on the money.
blakkie
BTW i think i should add Altheas that i hold my opinion in part because i have made this type of mistake myself, more than once in one form or another to varying degrees. Yes, i've been a D.I.C.K. Likely a good number, if not all of people offering this advice have at one point or another.

You ment well. I don't think you are a fool. You certainly don't come across as one. Being a GM is a tough balancing act, and it's tough to filter out normal player whining wink.gif from stuff signaling a real issue. I'm really just trying to help out by tossing in what i've taken from my own experiences.

P.S. I also have, after realizing i'm being a D.I.C.K., occationally overcompensated by being too generous. But i'm sure Leviathan or other players won't try to guilt trip you, or use the opinions expressed on this board to browbeat you into an unhealthy submission. wink.gif
Adarael
Reminds me of a particular time...

Our group had been targeted by CATco for ages, because we extracted one of the Seraphim from their wierd semi-psychotropic Black IC 'psychological evaluation' teams, as he was a PC and had decided he didn't feel like being a company man and having his brain fiddled with any more.

After about 3 or 4 years of dodging (and occasionally pasting) CATco spies and the odd ops team, we figured we'd reached an equilibrium with CATco - we stay outa their hair and don't cost them money, they don't mess with us. Well, CATco decided that wasn't quite right... so they inserted a very trustworthy spy into our contacts, stole ten tons of money from us from our anonymous Malaysian Bank Accounts, and (I think, but don't remember) launched a renewed attempt to kill us for knowing too much about Seraphim policies. We survived much poorer and very peeved.

So in response, we rigged a bunch of frames up on dummy systems, and penetrated CATco's main host, and crashed it. And kept it crashed for about a day, too, because we first crashed the host, then the power grid it was on, and then all outgoing lines, et cetera. Probably the riskiest matrix action we ever took, but I think the amount of money it cost them got the point across.

"Do not fuck with these desparate people. Push them hard enough, they have nothing to lose."

This is one thing I think many GMs forget about Runners. Runners want to live, want to get paid, want cool goodies and want freedom. But they are fundamentally desparate people who cannot be counted on to submit when they're pushed too far. Prod a group of professional spies, killers, thieves and con men far enough, and things have a very high probability of getting messy.

Which is why corps very rarely directly confront runners. They just snipe them or bomb their homes or call the cops on them when they're least expecting it.

I agree you should be getting paid at least double what you are, but threatening Wuxing directly isn't the solution. Rather, take what you can COUNT (the 250,000 yen) because a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and all that. If Wuxing acts like jackasses on this, find out who authorized the mugging. Single THAT man out and send a message. Frame him. Get him *fired*. Rob him of resources. But unless it's the entire corporation or division, leave them alone; it won't be worth the trouble of catching you if you haven't damaged the company image. And you probably won't, if they know some middle management jackass resorted to mugging, because it's tacky.

In the future:
-If a Johnson does not offer what you believe your time is worth, haggle him. Explain your credentials to him, your abilities. Suggest that if he's sure this run can be pulled by people just out of high school, he hire them and not pros.
-If the Johnson tries to strongarm you, or threatens you, note to him that by virtue of being a Johnson he's obviously expendible to his company, and you could make more money than he's offering by simply shooting him and his bodyguards, stealing their guns, cars and equipment. Sometimes this is a good idea, sometimes it's not. If nothing else, it'll make him sit up and take notice that you're not going to be dicked around with. (NOTE: Always make sure you know where his backup IS when you try this tactic. Also, try not to do this in any sort of decently secure area.)
-If the Johnson continues to threaten you, shoot him, his guards, and steal their stuff. This may make you enemies. But you can be damn sure future Johnsons will think twice about trying to threaten free agents into taking a job. Also, if you spread a recording or account of the Johnson's tactics around the Shadows, you can help ensure his bosses will get drastically fewer favors from the Shadows.
-If the Johnson won't budge on what you feel is an unfair price, walk. Tell him to call your mutual contact when he's ready to make a sensible offer. If running will not pay for upkeep of your life, or otherwise does not cover costs of a run... why are you running, ICly?

The list can go on forever. Obviously, these are not hard and fast rules. Just general tactics I've used in games before. And yes, I've wasted a Johnson and his buddies when he tried to threaten us into working for what amounted to for free. It was nervous, yeah. It was scary, yeah. But nobody's tried it since.
blakkie
Adarael, i respect that post. You have excellent suggestions in there. However i do still feel that they shouldn't just hand over one or the other. They were just feed a classic huckster pitch. They were given two options as though they are the only two available, and these are both options respresenting a loss to the team (either way giving up something they have) but framed positively. A double diversion from the real question they have just been asked, if i may put it crudely: "May I f#ck you like my bitch?"

If they choose either option they were explicitly presented with they are answering "Yes." Once you tell someone they can f#ck you like their bitch you ARE their bitch, you will stay that way, and once word gets out you are going to be everybody else's too. You can't claim non-consent if you don't say "No".

Further by offering a business deal you establish with more certainity where the head is of the person calling the shots on the other side. I'd recommend selling both the tray and the safe and offering them an explicit discount for the package deal. Say 250K + 250K - 60K for the discount for a total of 440k. So the get to buy a raw material that their company uses as part of their business, plus whatever it is in the safe for around 200K. Given the facility it was lifted from that's not even vastly out of line for laid out and partially paid up front run, and the runners took the risk on the cuff....while doing a favour on the side for the SOBs.

That's just bad business to directly risk your own assets (mage etc.), burn up a contact that just did you a favour, and risk the ire of a pissed off ripped off 'runner team to attempt a risky attack to gain whatever is in the safe, which they have already openly stated a belief of it being worth at a minimum 200k, and near nill chance of recovery of the goods on the tray.

All that when they have the option to buy goods at a reasonably fair value? If the Wuxing guy flat out turns this down you know he's either a batshit loco cowboy or just plain vanilla batshit loco, and that sends them down the path you laid out. If he takes it, or comes back with a reasonable counter-offer (perhaps even showing creativity by bringing something new to the table) then greed had just momentarily urged him to probe and see what he could get away with. EDIT: And you are smiling because you just fenced your own haul for a solid price, make sure to thank them for doing business and quietly to yourself forgive them for their temporary transgressions.

OOC: The GM says the team should grow some nads and negotiate more? Then i guess it's time for the team to put out and negotiate or shut up. Yes that is metagaming. But so is saying "you guys don't negotiate enough", and so is bringing a Deus Ex Machina to the table. *shrug*

P.S. Back IC: I would NOT flash the explosives. You don't do that unless you are good and ready to follow through without hesitation, so you only do that when it's damn good and worth it. There is a difference between a willingness to fight against hard odds for small 6 digits & self-respect, and a willingness to out and out kill yourself over the matter of small 6 digits. One is someone to be reconned with, the other is a loose cannon to be avoided.
Adarael
Adarael, i respect that post. You have excellent suggestions in there. However i do still feel that they shouldn't just hand over one or the other. They were just feed a classic huckster pitch.

To be fair, this is true. But despite my generally tough talk above, I've found that when confronted with corporate security forces that have high-powered backup close by, I'd rather not take chances. The idea about offering to sell them the tray and safe both is a very good one.

Maybe it comes from being a mathematics-based mage with a penchant for stock market analysis, but the foremost question in my mind when applying leverage to a corporation is "How much is this worth to them? How much have they spent training and equipping these people?" The path of least resistance is usually but not always the path of least overhead.

I would NOT flash the explosives. You don't do that unless you are good and ready to follow through without hesitation, so you only do that when it's damn good and worth it.

Amen to that. As effective as threats can be, it's very tricky to gauge when they'll work and backfire. Especially if the threat is a ton of explosives.
Leviathan
Well, before seeing these posts (this was a couple of days ago now), I did offer to sell both the tray and the safe to the Wuxing dudes. Assuming the rest of the party agrees to the sale, Wuxing is happy to pay us 600k for them both..
ShadowDragon8685
600K?

Okay, let's think here.

Tray = 250,000 nuyen.gif
(600 - 250)*100 = 350,000 nuyen.gif

Now, assume that they're taking a big chunk out of the total value of both...

Conclusion: They really desperately want whatever's in that safe. We know that whatever it is, it's Orichilum. Since she knows what's in it, she wants it bad. Ergo, it's something big, bad, magical, and expensive, and Wuxing wants it.
Kagetenshi
This is probably a good resolution. If they're willing to pay that much, odds are it isn't something you particularly want to try to hold onto anyway.

It does raise the question of why they offered you the choice in the beginning… perhaps they were hoping you'd take the known quantity over unknown rewards.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Yeah. Chances are that if you hold onto the safe, then

A: Wuxing will make you one more offer: All of it (safe and tray) for your lives.
B: Wuxing will just wax you all and take it all anyway.
C: Wuxing reluctantly lets you have it, and then you find out it's something super-hot, beyond your ability to contain, and is like a beacon for Great Dragons/Shedim/Immortal Elves/Horrors/Something Else That Makes You Wish You Were In The Renraku Arc And All You Had To Play With Was Insane AIs.
Siege
I realize I'm a little late to be chiming in, but runners need a rep - and you do low-paying, crap jobs to build a rep and keep you afloat until the big ones come along. And if you're paranoid about not leaving a trail for someone to follow back to you, the character never has the same face long enough to build a rep of any meaning.

The GM gave you a nice option as opposed to upsetting a corp, getting black marks all up and down your unofficial resume and is moderating the legitimate paranoia with viable playability. You could meet him halfway.

I knew a player who wanted to retire his Shadowrun character and instead roleplay the PC making and selling maglocks to gangers. To me, that kinda defeats the purpose of the game.

60k for the year is a bit on the low side, but what's the projected power of the game? Street level runners? Million-nuyen samurai? That's the one drawback to freeform character gen - a street level runner can easily find himself in the same crew as a multi-million nuyen character that needs the GNP of a small country just to meet his monthly expenses. And the GM gets caught in the middle.

-Siege
Siege
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
This is probably a good resolution. If they're willing to pay that much, odds are it isn't something you particularly want to try to hold onto anyway.

It does raise the question of why they offered you the choice in the beginning… perhaps they were hoping you'd take the known quantity over unknown rewards.

~J

Amen - if Wuxing is willing to pay outright for the unknown, do you really want to know what they'd do if you turned them down flat?

100 spears at 100 yen a piece will kill the samurai with a 10,000 soul every time.

-Siege
Siege
And are you or anyone else having fun when the game degenerates into "us versus GM?"

Besides the fact that you will lose every time, at least in character, what's the point?

Yes, you unleash hell on unsuspecting corps - great, well done. Now the corps have incentive to pool resources to hunt down the terrorists. Oh, wait...that's you.

As for having contacts in Tanamous...um...ick. Actually hanging onto a corpse long enough to dispose of it on a regular basis is asking for trouble, depending on your usual type of job, I suppose.

-Siege
blakkie
QUOTE (Leviathan @ Nov 3 2005, 08:04 AM)
Well, before seeing these posts  (this was a couple of days ago now), I did offer to sell both the tray and the safe to the Wuxing dudes. Assuming the rest of the party agrees to the sale, Wuxing is happy to pay us 600k for them both..

Good job!

EDIT: That goes for Altheas too. It's good to see you guys be smart, working together to smooth things out instead of letting it get out of control IC & OOC. Hope things go well in the future too.

If anyone else in the party says "no" slap them upside the head. wink.gif I'm with Siege (and Kagetenshi, and SD8685). If they are willing to shell out that kind of cash for the safe you do NOT want to find out what they are willing to go through to lift it from your cold, dead hands. Now make sure Greed doesn't go to your heads. Spend the money wisely and you'll be able to get through the ups and downs of slow money/high expense times. You can't expect a payday like that on a regular basis.
Tiralee
Did you shake the box, maybe guess how much what's inside weighs?

Just a thought. After all, a grenade isn't going to weigh as much as a chunk of the good stuff, and neither is c4, c10, etc.

-Tir
tisoz

Just a thought. After all, a grenade isn't going to weigh as much as a chunk of the good stuff, and neither is c4, c10, etc.

Orichalcum runs about 8K/g.

Does your magical buddy have a spirit available that could use accident to cause the safe to open? Or animate to have the door swing open?
Siege
QUOTE (Tiralee)

-Tir

Of course, let's hope it's not fragile, whatever it is.

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012