Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid lines NOT to say in Shadowrun?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
stevebugge
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jan 3 2006, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jan 3 2006, 02:55 PM)
Let's take the elevator!

This has gotten players in my games in to more trouble than you can imagine, well maybe not than people here can imagine but you get the idea. Elevator make great physical security chokepoints. If a building is designed so that the stairways can be accessed only from inside the stairwell on the ground floor, then people trying to reach other floors have to take the elevators. If the elevators are equipped with MAD's and Cyberware Detectors and monitored by a security rigger who can seal and stop them, then flood them with Neuro-Stun Gas. Further if it is a large enough building to use an express elevator system (travels only to certain floors then shorter elevator systems cover the floors in between)) secondary checkpoints can be built in.

Which is why you get your decker/hacker to crack into the elevator and do some tinkering beforehand.

That's what's so funny. They get caught by it repeatedly! They rely far too much on Astral Recon and covert physical surveilance, and always under estimate technical security. When they do think of the technical side it never goes past door alarms, window alarms, and motion detectors. Of course the fact that they really don't have a Decker or Rigger doesn't help, and none of them have gone out of their way to pick up either as a contact, even though the opportunity has dropped in their laps a few times.
tisoz
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Jan 2 2006, 12:56 AM)
A dumb line:
"Harlequin? That guy's gonna geek himself summoning some wussy elemental. Let's kill him and take his stuff".

I've heard something not unlike this said before. Needless to say, it was by someone who played D&D.

Maybe they looked at SR1, page 87. wink.gif

And E=mcc hardly applies to most of SR magic.

QUOTE (Bullet Raven @ Jan 3 2006, 01:47 PM)
it costs 5 essence for false teeth

In Shadowrun? I doubt it, since a tooth compartment costs 0 essence.
Mr.Platinum
"Hey can we stop, i ran out of Ammo"
Bullet Raven
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Bullet Raven @ Jan 3 2006, 01:47 PM)

'twas a joke, you know, because it's totally unrealistic and silly.

frown.gif
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Bullet Raven)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jan 4 2006, 08:48 AM)
QUOTE (Bullet Raven @  Jan 3 2006, 01:47 PM)

frown.gif

no it not, some ones feeling could of been seriously hurt.

**insert sarcasm**
SuperFly
Said to a Johnson mid-meeting:

"And I thought being professional was all about a bottle of malt liquor and a good handgun." -- Judas
tisoz
QUOTE (Bullet Raven)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jan 4 2006, 08:48 AM)
QUOTE (Bullet Raven @  Jan 3 2006, 01:47 PM)

frown.gif

Sorry, I have seen some totally unrealistic and absurdly silly crap spouted, especially by newbies, that was hardly a joke. Nice to see you discovered the emoticons - one on your unrealistic, silly joke post would have helped.
frostPDP
Pal: "I've got a skill of 9 in unarmed, I can take down these cops with stun batons..."

<Clatter>

GM: "You wake up in a jail cell."
dog_xinu
The GM was asking about which of us players had stealth... 2 of the 3 said "yes". The 3rd says...

"IF you can not be stealthy, be crazy...."

I still laugh at that one...
DocMortand
QUOTE (nick012000)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jan 3 2006, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jan 3 2006, 02:55 PM)
Let's take the elevator!

This has gotten players in my games in to more trouble than you can imagine, well maybe not than people here can imagine but you get the idea. Elevator make great physical security chokepoints. If a building is designed so that the stairways can be accessed only from inside the stairwell on the ground floor, then people trying to reach other floors have to take the elevators. If the elevators are equipped with MAD's and Cyberware Detectors and monitored by a security rigger who can seal and stop them, then flood them with Neuro-Stun Gas. Further if it is a large enough building to use an express elevator system (travels only to certain floors then shorter elevator systems cover the floors in between)) secondary checkpoints can be built in.

Which is why you get your decker/hacker to crack into the elevator and do some tinkering beforehand.

Except that really doesn't work in the Arc during the Shutdown.

I got my players that way...they had liberated a floor of captives and were running to escape - the elevators were open, but they couldn't all fit in one so they took two.

I then sent each elevator to a different floor...like 57 and 240. smile.gif They spent the next month and a half in real time getting back TOGETHER.
DocMortand
By the way, hearing the words "Hmm, perhaps a fuel-air explosive might do the trick" is never a good sign...especially when it's parked on top of a gas main.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (frostPDP)
Pal: "I've got a skill of 9 in unarmed, I can take down these cops with stun batons..."

<Clatter>

GM: "You wake up in a jail cell."

Actually, with a skill of 9, he probably should have been able to take them down, if he had a high enough initiative.
nick012000
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
QUOTE (frostPDP @ Jan 8 2006, 10:25 PM)
Pal:  "I've got a skill of 9 in unarmed, I can take down these cops with stun batons..."

<Clatter>

GM:  "You wake up in a jail cell."

Actually, with a skill of 9, he probably should have been able to take them down, if he had a high enough initiative.

Freinds in melee penalties.
frostPDP
Yeah, narrow space, they're armed, and there were like four of them. He might have taken one down, but the gang-rape he'd recieve....Not wise, unless he attacked all of them at once and rolled high.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (frostPDP)
Yeah, narrow space, they're armed, and there were like four of them. He might have taken one down, but the gang-rape he'd recieve....Not wise, unless he attacked all of them at once and rolled high.

I was presuming his friends would also be in the melee.

Well... I guess not... nyahnyah.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
QUOTE (frostPDP @ Jan 9 2006, 02:40 AM)
Yeah, narrow space, they're armed, and there were like four of them.  He might have taken one down, but the gang-rape he'd recieve....Not wise, unless he attacked all of them at once and rolled high.

I was presuming his friends would also be in the melee.

Well... I guess not... nyahnyah.gif

It's entirely possible that when he decided to take on the Cops his "friends" downgraded him from "friend" to "guy I saw in a bar once"
Foreigner
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jan 4 2006, 03:48 AM)
In Shadowrun?  I doubt it, since a tooth compartment costs 0 essence.

tisoz:

That might be worth looking into.

IIRC, the comic-book Foreigner was rather fond of explosive dental implants.

Essentially, the weapon was a micro-grenade with an impact fuse.

Could make trips to the dentist hazardous to one's health, though.

Dentist: "You say you have a toothache, Mister Smith?"

Foreigner/"Mr. Smith": "Yes."

Dentist: "Let's have a look, then, shall we?"

<Begins probing his patient's mouth.>

Dentist: "Ah! Here it is!"

Foreigner: "NO! Not THAT one!"

KA-BLAM!

nyahnyah.gif

Once again, please excuse the off-topic excursion.

Ladies and gentlemen, back to the Forums....

--Foreigner
stevebugge
Another exchange that should always worry you:

Character A: "What are you doing now?"
Character B: "Improvising."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012