Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Armament of UCAS/CAS Soldiers in 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Lord Ben
I imagine lots of Orcs/humans/elves. Dwarves and Trolls need equipment adapted to fit them so I see them in specialized units where their unique skills match their jobs and where all the equipment for that unit match their particular metatype needs.
TheHappyAnarchist
Allright, "realistically" speaking, I am not so sure.

There will be tremendous heat and explosion, molten slag and such.

However, we are talking about enviromentally sealed, extremely thick composite armor, that covers all entrance/exits.

The biggest obstacle I see would be taking superheated air into their lungs. If they are using internal air tanks that is not a problem, but I don't really see that as standard.

If they did, they would have a chance that the molten slag would not get through their armor. I'm not sure how good the chance is, as I am not sure just how tough the stuff is. Considering what it is capable of resisting though, it would not surprise me if some of the tougher members, spent some karma/edge and got through it.
PBTHHHHT
Be sorry for the guy who's sitting up against the blast entry. Armor or not... Sealed or not... etc...
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
I imagine lots of Orcs/humans/elves. Dwarves and Trolls need equipment adapted to fit them so I see them in specialized units where their unique skills match their jobs and where all the equipment for that unit match their particular metatype needs.

I can see special Tunnel rat groups comprising of mostly dwarves... lol.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Lord Ben)

Hell they have height requirements nowadays as it is!

They probably just make them get a waiver cool.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
If they did, they would have a chance that the molten slag would not get through their armor. I'm not sure how good the chance is, as I am not sure just how tough the stuff is. Considering what it is capable of resisting though, it would not surprise me if some of the tougher members, spent some karma/edge and got through it.

There are vehicles hit with HEAT warheads that fully penetrate the chassis where people inside wear little to no armor and get out without a scratch. There are other vehicles which do in fact explode to a cartoonish ball of flame when hit with HEAT warheads and no one inside, regardless of any armor people would be giving to general infantry, would stand a chance of coming out alive. A heat-resistant full-body suit of armor capable of stopping most of the fragmentation would significantly increase likelihood of survival where a near-immediate exit from the hit vehicle is possible, and where that would fail a rigid suit of even tougher armor would probably not be any better.

I figured the original point was that no weapon that has already penetrated the hull of an AFV will be stopped by the armor worn by the guys inside. While I'm sure someone could come up with some extreme situations where this isn't true, as a general rule anything in a straight path ahead of whatever just crushed/rammed/whatever its way through several inches of RHS-equivalent armor is going to get fucked, and a few millimeters of silicon carbide isn't going to help one bit.
TheHappyAnarchist
Unless going through several inches of reinforced metal slowed it down that the hardened milspec armor that can bounce rifle rounds with merely a ding could deflect or slow it down enough for survival.

The only thing I can see having a chance would be the HEAT missiles and if there are unarmored occupants surviving now than that adds to me thinking milspec could easily survive.

They mention cartoonish explosions in Fields of Fire. As long as you don't have fautly wiring, sabotage or the such, then the vehicle will not ball of fire on you.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist @ Dec 20 2005, 07:33 PM)
Unless going through several inches of reinforced metal slowed it down that the hardened milspec armor that can bounce rifle rounds with merely a ding could deflect or slow it down enough for survival.

The rifle round doesn't have quite a lot of mass behind it in comparison with an anti-tank round, especially those KE rounds.
Hasaku
Yeah, I have a hard time believing any wearable armor will resist a spike of tungsten at supersonic velocities, recent vehicle penetration or not. Of course, you'd probably see less spalling and such from a penetrator strike than, for instance, a HEAT strike. Unless someone's right in the path of the projectile, they could still walk away. Assuming the magazine doesn't blow.
SL James
This discussion reminds me of a quote from another thread.
QUOTE (Critias)
This thread is like some sort of magic knowledge sifter, easily and efficiently seperating those who know what they're talking about and get it from those and who don't, with just a glance.  Neat.
Omer Joel
QUOTE (Apathy)
It's a good argument, but I still disagree.

Small, highly mobile strike teams are ideal for taking out individual targets (communications centers, key transportation paths, command and control points) and work well for a defense in depth if you can afford to give up hundreds of miles of territory while the enemy over-extends himself.

If you want to actually take and hold terrain, you need heavy forces (tanks, artillery, etc.) The small strike teams you mentioned could potentially take out an oil field or [temporarily] deny it to the enemy, but would never be able to keep it. If UCAS tries to take back part of the NAN, or CAS tries to gobble up the oilfields of southern Texas, they're going to need heavy forces. If your occupying hostile territory, you need lots of grunts. Lots of grunts means less money to spend on each individual one, and a lower relative value of each one.

I think this is exactly why there are regular forces and Special Forces. Special Forces can do ALOT of damage to the enemy but they come in small numbers and thus can't hold territory efficiently; regular forces conquer, occupy and defend.

Corporate armies would have almost exclusively Special Forces in most cases (with exceptions being Ares, Aztechnology and, to a lesser degree, Saeder-Krupp), as they'll rarely go into all-out wars against their competitors, and their security devision (typically not part of their army) handles defence against the rival's Special Forces. If they need a real army to be rolled out, they just bribe and/or blackmail a national government to do so for them.

So the UCAS army would have "regular" infantry, of the kind I've described, and multi-hundreds-of-thousands-of-nuyen-per-soldier cybered-up Special Forces. Regulars defend the borders, occupy territory and, if needed, invade (aided by tanks, LAVs etc); SpecForces do all sorts of behind-the-lines operations both during "peacetime" (though then Shadowrunners would do a part of this job) and during wartime.
Austere Emancipator

Like I said, in an extreme case that could happen. But the chances are something like one in a million.
For example:

Rifle round (7.62x51mm M993 AP): A ~6.5mm diameter tungsten carbide penetrator weighing 126.6gr at a velocity of 2985fps, currently capable of penetrating any form of body armor available and up to 7mm of armor steel at 500 meters (still not enough to penetrate most AFVs at any range): 3396.88J of kinetic energy over 33.18mm^2

Automatic cannon round (25mm M919 APFSDS-T): An ~8.6mm diameter depleted uranium long rod penetrator weighing 1483gr at a velocity of 4544fps, currently capable of defeating any IFV from any angle at ranges beyond 1500 meters: 92,209.38J if kinetic energy over 58.09mm^2

Now, not only is the automatic cannon round better designed to defeat armor, being a long rod DU (self-sharpening, incendiary) penetrator instead of a shorter tungsten one, but it also carries 27.14 times as much KE (15.5 times as much KE per unit of area) which it will also deposit much faster against any armor it runs into because of its much higher velocity. On a good day, it could fully penetrate the chests of a squad of infantry walking in a straight line, wearing the heaviest form of body armor available. With a round like this, if it's already penetrated more than 75mm worth of hardened armor equivalent, another 7mm is not going to matter one fucking bit.

The same thing goes for modern HEAT warheads, which allow the metal jet to maintain form after penetrating heavy armor. The forces at work there are completely beyond anything wearable body armor can hope to handle.

They mention cartoonish explosions in Fields of Fire. As long as you don't have fautly wiring, sabotage or the such, then the vehicle will not ball of fire on you.

So AFVs no longer carry ammunition, nor will they be affected in any way by a significant portion of a heavy HEAT round explosive force and heat being blown right into a tiny, sealed-off area?
Lord Ben
That's if the penetrator hits you. That's not the only lethal thing in the vehicle. It might fragment, there might be shrapnel, and those penetration stats are probably for specific angles. If it hits you at a small enough angle the pentrator might even be deflected (into your buddy).

At any rate, the thread is about what equipment UCAS would have. Whether or not full body armor protects against tank rounds has no real bearing on whether or not they'd buy it. It still offers significant protection to a soldier that costs a lot of money to train and I think they'd buy it.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
That's if the penetrator hits you.

Yes. When discussing what happens when the penetrator hits you, it's useful to stick to what happens when the penetrator hits you.

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
That's not the only lethal thing in the vehicle.

You don't say.

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
If it hits you at a small enough angle the pentrator might even be deflected (into your buddy).

Like I said, one in a million. In the other 999,999 cases, it crushes a big fucking hole into you without even slowing down.
Ed_209a
As I understand the wierd world of high impact physics, a large portion of that superdense penetrator would be a spray of molten superdense penetrator by the time it penetrated the armor. That would be bad for anyone inside not in armor, good for those in armor.

I imagine the effect would be like drilling a hole in a AFV, then firing a shotgun several times in the hole, followed by a short burst from a flame thrower for good measure.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
As I understand the wierd world of high impact physics, a large portion of that superdense penetrator would be a spray of molten superdense penetrator by the time it penetrated the armor.

That may be the case with certain HEAT warhead designs against certain types of armor. It may just as well be that the metal jet continues as a tight "fist" through the vehicle and even out the other side, and the inhabitants will mostly have to deal with the spalling, the superheated gases, huge pressure spike, etc.

You may have seen the pictures of an M1A1 which was penetrated from the side just above the tracks by what was probably a modern RPG-7 HEAT warhead -- because of the extreme thickness of the armor relative to the force of the warhead, the damage caused inside was limited to what was in a straight line ahead of the metal jet, including some controls and a crewmember's chair. Had the same warhead hit an M113, the effect could have been far more dramatic.
Lord Ben
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Yes. When discussing what happens when the penetrator hits you, it's useful to stick to what happens when the penetrator hits you.

We were talking about a HEAT round hitting the vehicle and whether FBA would make it more likely to live while inside. It's very doubtful the penetrator would make a direct hit on you...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist @ Dec 20 2005, 10:05 PM)
You know exactly what will happen when this fictional body armor comes up against a HEAT missile after expending it's energy through the hull of the vehicle?
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Dec 21 2005, 02:29 AM)
While I'm sure someone could come up with some extreme situations where this isn't true, as a general rule anything in a straight path ahead of whatever just crushed/rammed/whatever its way through several inches of RHS-equivalent armor is going to get fucked, and a few millimeters of silicon carbide isn't going to help one bit.
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist @ Dec 21 2005, 02:33 AM)

I don't know what you were talking about, but this particular part of the discussion between TheHappyAnarchist and me had to do with what happens when "body armor comes up against" the penetrator itself.

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
It's very doubtful the penetrator would make a direct hit on you...

Since we're talking about a vehicle with limited inside space crammed full of people, someone is in fact very likely to get hit by the penetrator. Quite possibly more than one person.

The others may have an increased probability of survival -- but the difference between having a relatively inexpensive suit of fragmentation/low kinetic threat resistant, flame-proofed armor or wearing a rigid suit of armor which costs almost half as much as the APC they're riding in will not be big enough to excuse the massive extra expenditure. Whether other advantages offered by such armor would excuse it is another matter, and depends very heavily on what kind of unit of soldiers we're talking about.
Apathy
TheHappyAnarchist may be correct in his assessment that full body armor, enviroseals, respirators, etc. have a moderate chance of increasing the soldiers' survival rate against spalling from heat rounds and such, but too me it seems to be a poor cost-benifit tradeoff. In my personal opinion, that money would be better spent on different enhancements, such as adding reactive plates to the exterior of the vehicle. Especially when we consider the tradeoff of extra space taken up and increased clumsiness that comes with all that protection. I know I had enough frustration trying to wobble around the interior of tanks in MOPP-4 (chemical suits) that I wouldn't want to try it in something even bulkier.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Lord Ben)

I seem to remember a similar argument being made about black people about a 150 years ago. My own great great great grandfather was the Captain of a "Colored Division" because of it.

I don't know if a modern army would want to split the people who could see naturally see and interpret infrared out of regular squads. That sounds like the kind of thing that a line platoon would like to have lying around.

"Hey Stumps, do you think any of the redskins slept in these recently?"

-Frank
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Omer Joel @ Dec 21 2005, 04:23 AM)
QUOTE (Apathy @ Dec 20 2005, 09:13 PM)
It's a good argument, but I still disagree.

Small, highly mobile strike teams are ideal for taking out individual targets (communications centers, key transportation paths, command and control points) and work well for a defense in depth if you can afford to give up hundreds of miles of territory while the enemy over-extends himself.

If you want to actually take and hold terrain, you need heavy forces (tanks, artillery, etc.) The small strike teams you mentioned could potentially take out an oil field or [temporarily] deny it to the enemy, but would never be able to keep it. If UCAS tries to take back part of the NAN, or CAS tries to gobble up the oilfields of southern Texas, they're going to need heavy forces. If your occupying hostile territory, you need lots of grunts. Lots of grunts means less money to spend on each individual one, and a lower relative value of each one.

I think this is exactly why there are regular forces and Special Forces. Special Forces can do ALOT of damage to the enemy but they come in small numbers and thus can't hold territory efficiently; regular forces conquer, occupy and defend.

Corporate armies would have almost exclusively Special Forces in most cases (with exceptions being Ares, Aztechnology and, to a lesser degree, Saeder-Krupp), as they'll rarely go into all-out wars against their competitors, and their security devision (typically not part of their army) handles defence against the rival's Special Forces. If they need a real army to be rolled out, they just bribe and/or blackmail a national government to do so for them.

So the UCAS army would have "regular" infantry, of the kind I've described, and multi-hundreds-of-thousands-of-nuyen-per-soldier cybered-up Special Forces. Regulars defend the borders, occupy territory and, if needed, invade (aided by tanks, LAVs etc); SpecForces do all sorts of behind-the-lines operations both during "peacetime" (though then Shadowrunners would do a part of this job) and during wartime.

Can we refer to them as something other than "Special Forces"? The stated mission of the "Special Forces" is totally different than what you're describing.

Maybe "Elite Units"?

edit: Yes, it is a minor nitpick.

2nd edit: Elite units cost a lot to train and take a long time to do so. You can be seriously looking at a training time of 2 or more years for their "basic" training. In addition they will be continuing to attend specialty schools throughout their career. You just don't waste that kind of talent on every two-bit operation that comes up, and then call in the grunts to "hold and defend". It seems everybody is looking at the infantryman as an expendable goob.

Modern infantry can accomplish quite a bit in the context of modern warfare and I really don't see "light infantry" ever going away. In a "war", while elite units *can* inflict quite a bit of damage upon the enemy, their numbers are such that any damage they inflict is really only relevant in how their objective relates to (and compliments) whatever conventional operation is taking place at the same time.
Lord Ben
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Dec 20 2005, 06:11 PM)
I imagine lots of Orcs/humans/elves.  Dwarves and Trolls need equipment adapted to fit them so I see them in specialized units where their unique skills match their jobs and where all the equipment for that unit match their particular metatype needs.

I seem to remember a similar argument being made about black people about a 150 years ago. My own great great great grandfather was the Captain of a "Colored Division" because of it.

I don't know if a modern army would want to split the people who could see naturally see and interpret infrared out of regular squads. That sounds like the kind of thing that a line platoon would like to have lying around.

-Frank

Well, they didn't need specialized equipment for 10ft tall people back then.
Apathy
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 21 2005, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Dec 20 2005, 06:11 PM)
I imagine lots of Orcs/humans/elves.  Dwarves and Trolls need equipment adapted to fit them so I see them in specialized units where their unique skills match their jobs and where all the equipment for that unit match their particular metatype needs.

-Frank

Unlike the Army's days of racial segregation, in the SR world there are true physiological differences between the metatypes. I find it unlikely that they'd try to squeeze trolls into choppers, or even tanks for that matter. In all likelihood he's gonna get pegged into the Heavy Weapons squad of an Infantry platoon. Not an all-troll unit, but they'll be a bias toward making trolls and orks into ground-pounders. In the same vein, there would be a tendency to assign dwarves to mechanized units, where space is always tight. These tendencies would only be exaggerated by still lingering prejudice that all trolls are thugs and all dwarves are born to be riggers.

[edit]Speaking of rigs, I would think that all driver/gunners of combat vehicles would get a mandatory Control Rig installed. A mere 10K nuyen.gif would allow you to have a smaller crew, which allows for smaller tanks/IFVs with lower profiles and greater survivalbility. Any thoughts?
Azralon
QUOTE (Apathy)
These tendencies would only be exaggerated by still lingering prejudice that all trolls are thugs and all dwarves are born to be riggers.

And all elves are snipers.
Apathy
No, I think the stereotype is that all keebs are pansys that belong in the secretarial pool if they can't cast magic.

[edit]Ok, maybe stick em in scouts.
PBTHHHHT
Nah, you stick the elves for PR duty and for communications. Also, they're good for being bait.
FrostyNSO
The Air Force always needs nurses...
Jaid
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Also, they're good for being bait.

indeed. after the million and first elf variant in D&D, i know i'm ticked off at the entire concept.
Apathy
How many magically-talented types do you think the Army could get? They almost certainly wouldn't pay as well as the corps, but might be more willing to accepts metas than the Japanese-based Megas.

Adepts wouldn't be such a big deal (there aren't that many combative things they can do that a sufficient quantity of bullets can do just as well or better), but I'd think that maintaining wards on fighting vehicles and running astral security would be imperative.

[edit]I'd think that all mages would be listed as Warrant officers, so it wouldn't be a problem paying them on a higher scale. But there's only so far the Army could go with that stuff. Maybe they get all their folks from ROTC and such. MIT&M has got to be pretty expensive, but just agree to work for Uncle Sam for a few years and you education is free...Then they hook you into joining the Army magical group for initiation, and you won't be able to leave without breaking strictures!
FrostyNSO
They could give mages a HUGE signing bonus. Though my personal opinion is that they would be considered "contractors", and get really big bucks.
FrankTrollman
I know that the Navy offered to pay for my entire medical schooling - with the fine print that I had to spend an equal number of years as a medical officer.

I imagine they probably do the same thing for magicians. They'll train you in Sorcery and Conjuring, but then you have to sign on for a number of years.

Considering how dangerous learning Conjuring can be on your own time, that might be an option that a lot of people go for.

-Frank
SL James
Plus, it's probably a better deal than signing with the corps for, well, forever.
Lord Ben
And some people probably do it for the patriotism, and the chance to legally learn fireball.
Azralon
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
the chance to legally learn fireball.

Big selling point.
Apathy
Ok, so what should my 'org chart' look like? One mage per Battalion? Per Company?

The average Mech Infantry Battalion will have ... around 140 combat vehicles to ward... way more than one mage could keep up with each month.
stevebugge
I would think the really potent mages would probably have their own command, or be attached to some sort of Airforce Startegic wing to perform Ritual Sorcery and or Counter Ritual Sorcery. I would imaging that most trained mages in the field probably are attached to command staffs where the ability to assist at a startegic level is greatest, rather than warding individual vehicles. While combat spells are likely known, illusion and augmentation spells are likely the order of the day, manipulation are also probably useful.
Lord Ben
I see roughly 1 mage per company - only there is a group of them at Battalion or whatever instead of spread out.

They're too valuable a resource to be used on simple combat spells, although they probably know them. Scrying, summoning, interrogation (mind probe) are probably their big specialities.

A few fighter jets with the movement power up could really scream!
Azralon
I'd say the likelihood of a talented magician having a command is greater than an average person having the same command, but I wouldn't say it should be seen as a guaranteed position.

Mages can be unsuitable for command just like anyone else, especially with some of the mentor spirits out there influencing/reflecting their personalities.
Azralon
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Dec 22 2005, 12:10 PM)
A few fighter jets with the movement power up could really scream!

Sure, just having Movement and Concealment would make any unit happy. Throw in Confusion for the enemy and you've got the hat trick.

These things are in constant demand/use in most of the 'runs I've been in, too. smile.gif
Eddie Furious
I see a couple of mages being kept at the Batallion level and six or seven more at Regimantal level deployed on an as needed basis with Special Forces Group putting one magic user in each troop.

Regular and Elite units would deploy the Mages to provide force protection from creatively applied magical threats. Some examples of such being; the setting up of an ambush to push a unit into a building into which an Op-For mage put a bound fire elemental with orders to "kill any body who enters this building"; the enemy's use of Toxic Wave down a hallway in CQB, or having an Air elemental remove all the air from around the flying recon drone to kill it before it sees the enemy unit... . Maybe also have the mage use his fireball or lightning bolt spells to mess up smaller fighting drones and even screw with the heavier drone armour on the ground as well as dusting the sniper hiding in that building over there, but we're not sure where...

Special Forces Group would use thier magic users for many similar things as well as assisting the field medic and putting stealth spells and their own spirit force to use, not to mention a much more secure version of battlefield communication, Astral Perception!

I would bet that Mages, being rare, gifted individuals would be sent into an Officer Program. Commissioning a Mage would also improve the chances of security and loyalty, which are both vital when you train the person in your magical procedures and techniques. Let's face it, in the awakened world we will see the world's militaries (Government and Corporate alike) begin to optimize their magical ability the instant they know its there. I mean geez, magic is at best a theoretical thing in our world, yet every major cold war power has had a "Magic" program in one form or another at one point between the 50's and the 90's
FrankTrollman
You'd definately want at least one mage per ship. A spirit providing movement is simply too valuable to not have on anything that takes that much fuel to get around.

-Frank
Apathy
I think army doctrine would be to use mages only for things that couldn't be done mundanely. So, no throwing lightning bolts at drones, or stunballing enemies. Same logic goes for putting them in leadership positions; any mook with average intel and charisma can be a lieutenant, mages shouldn't waste their time there.

If I only had a limited number of mages, mine would focus on:
  • Warding sensitive areas (vehicles, buildings, etc.)
  • Astral scouting with watchers
  • Summoning spirits for Concealment, Guard, and Movement on friendly forces, and for Accident, Confusion, and Movement (slow) on enemy forces.
  • As a reaction force to respond to raids from enemy spirits.
  • Divining
TheHappyAnarchist
I agree with Apathy, with one exception.

Every special forces team would have a mage that is trained to integrate with the unit.
They would have stunball, likely some sort of elemental manip, lots of stealth magic and some conjuring goodness.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Apathy @ Dec 22 2005, 12:23 PM)
I think army doctrine would be to use mages only for things that couldn't be done mundanely. So, no throwing lightning bolts at drones, or stunballing enemies. Same logic goes for putting them in leadership positions; any mook with average intel and charisma can be a lieutenant, mages shouldn't waste their time there.

If I only had a limited number of mages, mine would focus on:

• Warding sensitive areas (vehicles, buildings, etc.)
  • Astral scouting with watchers
  • Summoning spirits for Concealment, Guard, and Movement on friendly forces, and for Accident, Confusion, and Movement (slow) on enemy forces.
  • As a reaction force to respond to raids from enemy spirits.
  • Divining

I would Expand upon your version of Army doctrine, personally. While the number of magic users is not that high, I would still be sure to put them in the "mundane" operational picture to supplement troop strength. A mage would be a force multiplyer, much like having a few LAVs on your side and an attack helicopter loitering nearby. Use the magic user to force a tempo shift with a lightning bolt here and there, it saves the ATGMs and AAMs for the times they are really needed and also keeps the renewable anti-drone system in practice. Besides, think about the results to enemy morale when they realize that the enemy has a mage on the ground who can locate their astral signatures and call in Artillery fire as an astral spotter. Conversely you want to keep a mage in R3 to deal with similar threats posed by Op-For Mages.
Apathy
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
Use the magic user to force a tempo shift with a lightning bolt here and there, it saves the ATGMs and AAMs for the times they are really needed and also keeps the renewable anti-drone system in practice.

It'll be way easier for the Army to re-supply ATGMs than mages. If the mage gets injured overcasting elemental spells, who's going to provide astral recon?

QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
Besides, think about the results to enemy morale when they realize that the enemy has a mage on the ground who can locate their astral signatures and call in Artillery fire as an astral spotter.

For this I'd use spirits or drones. That mage is way too valuble in a support role to take too many chances of getting him gang banged by a spirit attack pack.

QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
Conversely you want to keep a mage in R3 to deal with similar threats posed by Op-For Mages.

A mech infantry battalion would have at least 36 dismount squads and over 300 troopers. These are usually dispersed enough that you can't see beyond your immediate neighboring squads. If a battalion only has 3 or 4 mages (and that is probably too generous) and you want to leave a couple in reserve to deal with astral threats, that leaves only a couple guys at most - where would you put them?
Lord Ben
It said somewhere in the book that there are a fair number of people who have never seen a mage IRL. Maybe they're even only at division level?
Azralon
I remember that the figure is something like "about 1 in 100 people has some sort of magical talent, and only a fraction of those have any competence with it."

So if you were to (overgeneralize and) impress that vague "less than 1%" figure upon the military, it would suggest their scarcity and therefore role.
Apathy
QUOTE (Azralon)
I remember that the figure is something like "about 1 in 100 people has some sort of magical talent, and only a fraction of those have any competence with it."

So if you were to (overgeneralize and) impress that vague "less than 1%" figure upon the military, it would suggest their scarcity and therefore role.

Does it say anywhere in SR4 what the breakdown is of full mages/physads/conjurers/sorcerers? I remember hearing the breakdown has changed some since 2050.
Moon-Hawk
1% is a very large percentage to say that there are people who have never met one. For example, the 2000 US census reported 1.5 percent of people claiming native american/alaskan heritage. Have you ever met anyone who has native american heritage? Of course you have! They might not've been wearing a headdress or buffalo skin chaps, but of the thousands of people you encounter, you've met some.
Or autism. Autism affects 0.02-0.1 percent of people. And I'm sure you've seen or met an autistic person.
1% is a lot. 1% is enough that you probably encounter someone almost every day. More, if you live in a city and encounter hundreds or thousands of people in a day. The fact that magicians look just like everyone else means you might not realize it, but everyone in the 6th world interacts with magicians, whether they know it or not.
Lord Ben
Here is the quote:

Hard as it is to believe, even in 2070 there’s still a decent
percentage of average citizens out there who have never seen
anybody do magic outside of the trids and sims. Magical ability
is getting more common with each generation, but it’s still
rare enough that full-fl edged magicians and adepts don’t turn
up on every corner.

Personally in the games I run it's not that rare. Then again I don't like putting mages up on a pedestal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012