Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do we do we make two-weapon fighting matter?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
If dice pools are split up, then how does it help you in any way to have two weapons?
boskop-albatros
only thing I can think of is to wait till you build your skill up and when it is high enough you just have extra-dice to distribute
Apathy
[edit] eh, never mind
boskop-albatros
and just remember Acid, RoadFlares/BlowTorches, Shanks, PepperSpray/MACE
Also is it possible to have PepperSpray/MACE intergrated into a Cyberarm?
Liper
I have a question, if you have a skill recorder does it add a dice to each pool?
Gothic Rose
Actually, that's a good point. If you split your pool, do Dice Pool modifiers then apply to both? If so, it's not quite so bad.
Darkness
Dice Pool Modifiers are applied after splitting your Dice Pool (p. 141). So, yes, anything modifying your pool applies to both parts.

The german errata (i'm still waiting for the english version of this), howsoever, changed the description of the Reflex Recorder. It now adds to the skill directly, and doesn't provide bonus dice. Thus it falls under the skill cap, and will be splitted with your dice pool.
Azralon
Penalties apply, too. So TWF while blind is just nigh-impossible.

You'd think it'd be actually more effective, what with twice the flailing going on.
ascendance
QUOTE (emo samurai)
If dice pools are split up, then how does it help you in any way to have two weapons?

You use single shot weapons like the big-ass revolver, and just do one shot with each weapon per action phase.
Azralon
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Dec 22 2005, 10:23 PM)

Your base damage can be applied more often, provided you're hitting your targets.

Situation #1: Bob shoots Steve once with 4 net hits. Steve takes (Base Damage)+4 damage.

Situation #2: Bob shoots Steve twice with 1 net hit each. Steve takes (Base Damage)+1, then he takes another dose of (Base Damage)+1.

It's only particularly useful when your base damage is significant and you have enough pool to get at least one net hit on each shot.
ElFenrir
Deadly combo is the hidden gun arm slides. Arm yourself as a free action. Two weapon fighting allows a shot with each gun on a Simple Action...thus SA pistols have 2 shots each(4 shots total). Sure, you'll get higher damage straigh up with one weapon, but again, having to dodge(and soak), Base Damage or Base Damage +1 or so FOUR times is pretty rough.
Butterblume
You use single shot weapons like the big-ass revolver, and just do one shot with each weapon per action phase

That's one way ... we still discuss how smartlink works in this special case. Current thinking ist, you need to take a free action to switch smartlink to the other weapon.
Of course you could alwys use use smartlink on the same weapon - so one shot would have a bonus, the other wouldn't.
We are discussing if you could have smartlink active on both - since you don't use two guns at the same time (you first fire one, in the next action the other). One crosshair might have another color, so you don't get confused wink.gif.

Using two semiautomatics has other advantages, so your target is likely get hit twice. They have to resist damage twice, if you are good enough to score that one hit you need... and don't forget that for every shot, the opponent gets a -1 modifier on his defense roll .. so if you shoot the same target 4 times, he gets 0/-1/-2/-3 modifiers.

Against weak goons, you might even down a lot of them per turn, but remember the -2 modifier per additional target ...

Could even work with two SMG, if enough recoil is compensated...
Bearclaw
Has any noticed that no one who actually knows what they're doing IRL uses two guns? You never see SWAT team guys breaking into a house with two SMG's, etc. It's only in make believe land that it's effective. The best reason to carry two guns is to save time on reloading.

My point is, I think it's a good thing that they basically made two gun fighting useless.
redwulf25_ci
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
Has any noticed that no one who actually knows what they're doing IRL uses two guns? You never see SWAT team guys breaking into a house with two SMG's, etc. It's only in make believe land that it's effective. The best reason to carry two guns is to save time on reloading.

My point is, I think it's a good thing that they basically made two gun fighting useless.

But what about two blade fighting (say a mono-katana and a mono-knife). As someone who has done SCA fencing and authorized in sword and dagger two handed melee fighting is not as dificult as most RPG systems make it sound (once you're trained anyway).
emo samurai
Maybe do the same as for guns. This could make it much more dangerous to use monowhips, since there is a higher chance of glitching.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (redwulf25_ci)
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Dec 23 2005, 04:26 PM)
Has any noticed that no one who actually knows what they're doing IRL uses two guns?  You never see SWAT team guys breaking into a house with two SMG's, etc.  It's only in make believe land that it's effective.  The best reason to carry two guns is to save time on reloading.

But what about two blade fighting (say a mono-katana and a mono-knife). As someone who has done SCA fencing and authorized in sword and dagger two handed melee fighting is not as dificult as most RPG systems make it sound (once you're trained anyway).

I was a combat fencer myself and IMO the time spent on 2-weapon fencing is often better spent on improving single-blade combat. The only exception to that is when fighting multiple opponents where your attention is already split. Even in a fair fight (say 2 on 2), the ability to simultaneously threaten both foes or defend against them does change the odds.

I'd say the best you can do is either a) split dice pools and evaluate each weapon, trading success with one for increased odds of success with both or b) allow it to provide a bonus to parrying.
Shinobi Killfist
I dont mind splitting dice pools, I just wish it was splitting pools after all the mods and letting things like smartgun links work. As is it feels weaker than just using one gun, and this is after spending points on ambidexterity to make it a feasible option. If your going to spend points it should at the very least be an equal option.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Bearclaw)

2 points
1. Most those guys like the swat teams haven't speant 5 points on ambidexterity
2. I suspect most games aren't trying to model reality, but more of an aciton movie reality.
Butterblume
But, it is feasible - at least against foes that aren't full body armored Trolls.

Or did i miss something (look at my previous post above) ?
emo samurai
SR is NOT in any way modeled on reality. Except in the rare case that it would allow us to make characters stronger.
Vaevictis
Part of the problem is that the game very poorly models reach because it assumes that reach is always an advantage. Sometimes it's a marked disadvantage. Imagine trying to use a polearm on someone grappling you. The guy grappling has a big advantage at that point. IMO, there really should be a "close" maneuver available which ends up inverting reach bonuses (+2=-2, for example). Wielding two weapons with different reaches could address this (sword+dagger, for example); you end up using the more favorable of the reach bonuses, basically.

Another point is the fact that you can parry with one weapon while engaging with the other. I would argue that an individual wielding two weapons should get at least part of the full-defense parry bonus without actually having to commit to full defense. (Personally, I revile the shield-as-armor behavior (when in melee). In melee, it's a parrying device, not armor. In melee, it should add dice to your parry action, not your armor).

Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Part of the problem is that the game very poorly models reach because it assumes that reach is always an advantage. Sometimes it's a marked disadvantage. Imagine trying to use a polearm on someone grappling you. The guy grappling has a big advantage at that point. IMO, there really should be a "close" maneuver available which ends up inverting reach bonuses (+2=-2, for example). Wielding two weapons with different reaches could address this (sword+dagger, for example); you end up using the more favorable of the reach bonuses, basically.

Another point is the fact that you can parry with one weapon while engaging with the other. I would argue that an individual wielding two weapons should get at least part of the full-defense parry bonus without actually having to commit to full defense. (Personally, I revile the shield-as-armor behavior (when in melee). In melee, it's a parrying device, not armor. In melee, it should add dice to your parry action, not your armor).

I played a game that had rules like that. I can't remember the name of the game but basically if you had a reach 3 weapon and your opponent had a reach 1 weapon at the start of the fight you were at +2 to hit he was at -2 to hit, if your oponent scored a hit on you he got inside your reach and the pnealties were reversed. While it made more sense it just became a pain in the ass with all the constant modifier changes and we just dropped reach as a rule.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Butterblume)
But, it is feasible - at least against foes that aren't full body armored Trolls.

Or did i miss something (look at my previous post above) ?

no i agree its feasible, I just find it to be a slightly weaker option in most cases. I think if its something you spend points on(ambidex) then it should be an equal option not slightly weaker.
Butterblume
This is the point where we should crunch some numbers biggrin.gif .

I probably will, after christmas... this year i am the host (for the first time) of the family christmas event (and our christmas is from the 24th to the 26th ...).
nick012000
I'll not that gyroharnesses no longer inflict penalties in melee.

How do you know that the SWAT teams don't duel weild SMGs? If memory serves, the main reasons to avoid doing so is because you handle recoil poorly, and because you have difficulty lining up the sights properly. The former is solved with a gyroharness, the latter with Smartlinks.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Azralon)

Situation #1: Bob shoots Steve once with 4 net hits. Steve takes (Base Damage)+4 damage.

Situation #2: Bob shoots Steve twice with 1 net hit each. Steve takes (Base Damage)+1, then he takes another dose of (Base Damage)+1.

And when I catch up with Bob, boy is he going to get it!
emo samurai
And when I catch up with Bob, boy is he going to get it!

Huh?
Jaid
read the quote. then look at the username of the person who posted the response to it.

there's your answer.
Clyde
Two weapon fighting can also be used to try to do damage on both tracks - i.e. stun and physical, by using different weapons and ammo. Also might be worth doing if you blow your edge for a one-off attack - hitting the dude with that chair leg you just grabbed before shanking him with your monoknife.

In some ways, a game system has to be built around the stupid options to maintain player freedom - take it too far down the "Two gun shooting is useless so we won't include rules for it" road and you'll end up just pushing buttons on your XBOX.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Imagine trying to use a polearm on someone grappling you. The guy grappling has a big advantage at that point.

Couldn't you apply the "Superior Position" modifier to the grappler in that case? I'd say the polearm guy counts as being in a restricted position (unable to effectively use his polearm against a close opponent) while the grappler isn't.
PlatonicPimp
In another thread, Someone (I don't remember who, but I don't want to take credit for their Idea) noted that nowhere does it say you have to split your dice pools Evenly. So there is some tactical advantage to two weapon fighting if you go this route:

Simple action 1: First shot, use 1 die from pool. Opponent dodges (Probably successfully). Second shot, Use pool -1. Opponent dodges with -1 to their dodge pool (Due to previous dodge).

This may seem like an even trade off, but remember, you are rolling agilty+skill+mods, and your enemy is rolling just their reaction. Losing 1 die means a lot more to them than it does to you.

Simple action 2: First shot, use 1 die from pool. Opponent dodges with -2 to their dodge pool. Second shot, Use pool -1. Opponent dodges with -3 to their dodge pool.

Now we're starting to see a real numbers advantage. You average, unmodified human is now unable to dodge your last shot at all due to dice pool modifiers.

As of now there are no official rules for two weapon melee, but it is safe to assume you split your dice pool just like ranged melee. I'd say that each weapon's reach bonus applies to it's own attack roll separately. But with this you can use teh same tactic as above, to similar effect.

I think this models the concept really well. The main advantage to two weapon fighting is filling the air with lead so your opponent will more likely get hit by one bullet. When using two melee weapons, your off hand weapon is used to parry and to threaten your opponent, but rarely do you hit with two weapons at once. You use the threat of one to force an opening you can exploit with the other.

Also, remember that you spend edge per roll, so when two weapon fighting you can spend edge on both rolls separately. That may even the odds ab it if you are edge happy.
Darkness
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp @ Dec 24 2005, 05:35 PM)
Simple action 1:  First shot, use 1 die from pool. Opponent dodges (Probably successfully). Second shot, Use pool -1. Opponent dodges with -1 to their dodge pool (Due to previous dodge).

Beware the dreaded critical glitch, though. With only one die rolled on the first roll, you have good chances that it comes up as a 1. And a critical glitch will likely render your weapon useless (you may loose your grip and it slips out of your hand, or it shatters into pieces). That would ruin that tactic.
You can spend edge, of course. But to waste edge on one die, just to get the advantage? IMHO it's not worth it.

But yes, if it works it is just fine. ^^ And no risk, no fun nyahnyah.gif .
Vaevictis
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
Couldn't you apply the "Superior Position" modifier to the grappler in that case? I'd say the polearm guy counts as being in a restricted position (unable to effectively use his polearm against a close opponent) while the grappler isn't.

Maybe. It's an inelegant way to handle it, because according to the rules, the polearm wielding guy still gets a bonus from the reach. He should get a penalty proportional to the reach in this case, but in such a case, the reach still ends up being an advantage (ie, you'd get a +2 reach for a polearm versus a +1 for a sword, minus whatever the penalty for superior position). It doesn't really solve the problem... the guy with the sword should have less of a penalty than the polearm.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
(ie, you'd get a +2 reach for a polearm versus a +1 for a sword, minus whatever the penalty for superior position)

Guy with pole arm: +2 for reach
Guy with sword, fighting close: +1 for Reach, +2 for superior position.

I agree it's not optimal, but the polearm guy is still having a harder time of it using just the RAW.
Liper
it's hard to penalise pole arm use when anyone skilled in it, can use it effecitvley at a shorter range also...

Ie stop grabbing it at the longer end and half way up the halft....
Chimaera2000
I've been kicking around an idea for new two-weapon fighting rules, though they still need some work.

Basically, if you want to dual-wield in either melee or ranged, you start with a -6 penalty to both attacks, which is increased to -8 if the weapons are oversized (rifles, for example). Ambidexterity reduces the penalties of two-weapon fighting by two, though an increase in cost to 10 BP may be warranted. Smartlinks, weapon foci and other bonuses are applied to each weapon as normal.

Obviously, this system could use some tweaking, but it's a start. What do you think?
Liper
sounds like you play dnd too much =p
Tarko
/me think the rules are O-K as is.
Dual wielding forearm is for the pros, hence only doing it when the splicing dice pool is of fair amount. Otherwise you can just use the no-even dice pool splicing to demonstrate the only thing you whant is fill the air with flying lead.

The rules for splicing dice pool only affect firing 2weapons in the same IP, wich means that if you got 2IP you can fire from different gun each time (and then use RugewrSuperWarhawk). As a GM I would allow the SmartGun switch between guns, as this seems to be an issue (havent look at it yet).

As for melee dual wielding, I think the same rules could be applied.

remember: SR4 is meant to be easy with less bookkeeping than before. I dont think it was meant to come up with that much of new rules.
Akimbo
This topic has been covered a billion times in the past. I suggest searching the forums for previous threads regarding two weapon fighting. If you have a serious problem not being able to fire two weapons, talk to your GM. Using a character that uses two pistols a lot, I have no problem splitting dice pools. There's always the considering firing single weapons once per simple action and still only getting your two shots in.
Jaid
solution to switching between smartlinks = two monocles, each with a smartlink and image link.

now you don't need to switch, you have two completely separate systems nyahnyah.gif

(of course, this assumes your GM is a crazy person who restricts you from, say, simply color coding your targetting sight from the smartlink, which really shouldn't be a problem. heck, they had the tech for wielding dual smartguns years ago, i fail to see why they would have somehow mysteriously lost it since then)
Akimbo
Perfect sight and an effective smartlink for that matter would require both eyes. Besides, have you ever seen someone with two monocles? It looks stupid.
Jaid
so turn them into a pair of glasses. it's not like sticking a little piece of wire between them is gonna force them to act as one or anything.

and while i agree that realistically, you should have to be using something that covers both eyes, the RAW don't reflect that, in the sense that you have just as good vision enhancements and whatnot if you have only the one monocle.
Orb
The problem with having two smartlinks is simple (one for each eye). Everyone has one dominant eye, with both eyes open, you can only shoot accurately by aiming with your dominant eye.

Want proof - try this. Make a circle with your thumb and index finger. Hold the circle up and look through it with both eyes open. Centre it on a distant object - 10 feet or so should do.

Now close your right eye - what happened? Is your ring still centered on the object?

Now close your left eye, don't forget to open your right eye first - what happened?

When you closed one eye, the ring should have stayed on target - the open eye is your dominant eye. What happened when using the other eye, the ring (or sight, or smartlink croshair) moved off target.

The result of this biologic fact - you can't aim two guns at once no mater what type of sighting system you use. Your brain won't let you.
Orb
I forgot to add that is is impossible to focus on two things at once.

Hold a newspaper in your peripheral vision and try and read it without looking directly at it. Its impossible, you can see there are words there, but you can't read them. In order to read, aim at, or observe something in detail, you must look at it directly. This of course means that you can only look at one thing at a time.

Given these two facts, the rules for two gun fighting are pretty reasonable.

It would be nice if they'd provided rules for two melee weapon fighting, though.
Darkness
QUOTE (Orb)
Everyone has one dominant eye, with both eyes open, you can only shoot accurately by aiming with your dominant eye.

Want proof - try this. Make a circle with your thumb and index finger. Hold the circle up and look through it with both eyes open. Centre it on a distant object - 10 feet or so should do.

I did exactly what you described.

If i used my right hand for the circle, my left eye focused on the object.
If i used the left hand instead, my right eye did the focusing.
So either your theory is wrong, or i have a dominant eye for each hand i use.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Dec 23 2005, 04:49 PM)
I was a combat fencer myself and IMO the time spent on 2-weapon fencing is often better spent on improving single-blade combat.    The only exception to that is when fighting multiple opponents where your attention is already split.  Even in a fair fight (say 2 on 2), the ability to simultaneously threaten both foes or defend against them does change the odds. 

I'd say the best you can do is either a) split dice pools and evaluate each weapon, trading success with one for increased odds of success with both or b) allow it to provide a bonus to parrying.

I am a medieval & renaissance martial artist, I study and train with weapons recreated as closely as possible to those used originally by my ancestors in England, Germany and Scotland about 500-600 years ago. I think you are pretty much on the mark on this. Exception being if you are fighting more than one opponent, get mobile!

I have gleaned this one piece of information from the books of the fighting masters who did this stuff for real and when they were good enough, taught others how to do it. I believe it is terribly pertinent;
[tongue in cheek]

Chapter III
Of fighting your foe using two weapons in thine hands, may Almighty God have mercy upon us all!

Um, yeah, don't do it. But if you really want to leave a cool corpse, here's what I would do...
[/tongue in cheek]

In regards to two weapon fighting with firearms, it makes good film copy, but I have never seen somebody open up with two pistols and hit anything near as fast as one guy using a Weaver, Modified Weaver or Isocoles stance. I would say that the division is good, but don't forget off handed mods for the second weapon unless Ambidexterity was taken. Then you have to factor in all that brass and smoke (smokeless powder isn't) as well as the recoil mentioned earlier. It gets tough enough to use one weapon in a gunfight after the first magazine is expended.
Orb
I did exactly what you described.

If i used my right hand for the circle, my left eye focused on the object.
If i used the left hand instead, my right eye did the focusing.
So either your theory is wrong, or i have a dominant eye for each hand i use.

I forgot to mention that you need to extend you arm - away from your body. If the circle is 12" or so from your eyes you'll see the difference.
Darkness
I did exactly as you said (already the first time i tried, btw). With extended arm. Same difference.
If i use the right hand, my left eye focuses, and with my left hand it's my right eye.
Critias
There are a ton of different ways to figure out your eye dominance.

The method I used for archery classes was to hold out both hands at arms' length, fingers out flat but together (like a paddle), thumbs stretched out all the way -- and lay your hands together so that you make about a quarter-sized hole between the webby-bits by your thumbs (this is ridiculously difficult to describe, and retardedly easy to do IRL, or show someone).

EDIT -- I just found this, which shows what I'm talking about.

Look at something through that hole. Then smoothly, while still staring at that "something" through the little hole, pull your hands in towards your face. You'll draw that hole up to your dominant eye, unless you're purposefully not doing so -- which is to say this worked with every archery class I ever taught, except for one or two goofy 12 year old kids who wanted to "prove" it didn't work.

I'm not real sure what this really has to do with two-weapon melee combat any more, but I thought I'd offer up another method of determining eye dominance.
MaxMahem
Have you actualy tried using the split die system in a game? I have a player who uses it and it works great, almost TO great.

The player in question usualy uses Twin SMG's, has 5 in Automatics and 7 in Agility and ambidexterity, total of 12 dice. He splits the dice evenly (6 per gun), and then we add modifiers, his smartlink and/or lasersight do not apply, but his tracer ammo does. He fires twin short wide burts, which his recoil compensation full compensates (for the first burst), using tracer ammo. Giving him a total of 7 dice per gun. He get's an average of 2.3 successes, per gun. That's an average of 7.3P damage x2 or 14.6P.

The average target doesn't doge (they are to busy shooting) and has an average agility of somewhere around 6 (probably less, but lets asume that). That means he would gets an average of 2 successes and be missed 2/3 of time EXCEPT that the player in question uses dual wide bursts. This subtracts 2 dice from his roll. Leaving him with only 4 dice and an average of 1.3 success, he gets hit for 12P on average.

If the target looks likely to actively doge him he can switch into full auto mode and use a long burst. He goes down to 5 dice per gun (1.6 successes) but his target loses 4 dice from their dodge pool, against a non-dodging target this results in slightly less damge (11.3P), but he is more likely to hit a dodging target.

If the character in question only used one gun, he would throw more dice (15), but would do less damage (8.6P on average) and narrow bursts would do worse.

--------

Now these examples are pretty simple and assume no other modifiers apply (which usualy do), but even so a basic principle applies. If you can hit the target with half your pool, then you are generaly better off splitting the dice. Adepts with large very large pools to throw can be downright scarry. (Lucky for me, the my John-Wo wannbe character is a Sam, though I think throwing a dual wielding adept at him might be fun...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012