Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a monosword?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
emo samurai
That is unseemly behavior for samurai. They must commit seppuku in shame.
Nidhogg
QUOTE (Adarael)
Contrary to popular beliefs, this armor was not made of wood or paper. It was made of hardened leather with a laquer coat, or chain and cloth, or metal plates. Sometimes, they would even pull a full breastplate.

The katana existed centuries before the Japanese started wearing (effective) armor with any regularity. 'Heavy' armor, in Japan at least, did not start gaining popularity until sometime in the 14th century (or possibly late 13th, I don't have any of my source materials on hand at the moment), which was, incidently, around the first time the Japanese had any meaningful contact with the European nations. If the katana had indeed been designed for use against better protective armor than Japanese warfare had been previously acustomed to, then there would more than likely have been radical changes in the design of the blade in order to adapt to new advances in personal protection (in this case, better armor). Besides the fact that a single bladed weapon which was not designed for thrusting attacks is definately a suboptimal choice for combating armor, the fact that the basic design of the katana has changed little over its (very long) history suggests that no such evolution was necissary, and thus, not designed for use against armor.

Mind you, I could be horribly, horribly wrong, and if so, a link or two to redeem my groggy sense of history would be much appreciated.
FrostyNSO
I seem to remember them not having meaningful western contact til the 15th century (could of course be wrong).

However didn't the mongols use some pretty durable cured hide armor or some such? I thought this had something to do with the reason the straight blade evolved into the katana we know today. It's very late on new years so this all very hazy to me...maybe somebody smart can address this.
Orb
I hope I remember this right... In university I had a metallurgy prof you'd studied (first hand) ancient weapons including the Katana.

What I recall is that the genius of the katana is that it uses different types of steel in different ways. The core of the weapon is low carbon steel, similar to structural steel. This stuff is tough but not strong and won't take an edge. The blade edge is formed from high carbon steel, very strong, takes a great edge but is brittle. I think the sides are made of medium carbon steel.

The blade is formed straight and then curves when quenched because the low carbon steel contracts more than the high carbon steel. This results in a residual stress in the sword that makes it even tougher.

Because the edge is very hard and sharp, its vicious against unarmoured opponents. because of the low carbon steel core and pre-stress its tough enough that it won't break if you bash it against armour. A skilled warior could slice though light and medium armours. Against full steel armour its still pretty useless.

I hope I remembered that right - if anybody know of my error, please let me know.
Darkness
Actually the Katana has the same steel all over. The differences in hardness stem from the different amounts of clay, which is put on it before the hardening process starts.
Nu_Fenix
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
But apparently, they are for robbing convenence stores in the UK.

OMG!! Sorry for going OT here guys, but I just read the link about the sword robbers and this happened in the city I live in!!

Shadowrun is becomming more real every day!
FrostyNSO
edit: screw it.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Orb)
What I recall is that the genius of the katana is that it uses different types of steel in different ways.

That is true of many Western European swords throughout the Middle Ages. Already from 500 to 0 BCE, a significant portion of Celtic swords had steel edges and an iron center. Throughout the early Middle Ages, swords with iron centers and steel edges welded on or case-carburized were common, and so was partial and slack-quenching. A sword recovered from the Mary Rose, which sank in 1545, had forge-welded steel edges around an iron center, and had been fully quenched for a hardness of up to 590 VPH at the edge (average 507 VPH), with the center ranging down from 280 VPH.

And at a brief glance at various sites and articles discussing how katanas were made, I have to agree with Darkness that it doesn't seem likely many medieval katanas would have had steel of different composition (pre-quenching) along the edge and the spine. I could be very wrong about this, though.

QUOTE (Orb)
A skilled warior could slice though light and medium armours. Against full steel armour its still pretty useless.

I agree that in certain conditions such a sword could be used to cut through leather armor in combat, but whether I can agree with the "medium armours" bit depends on your definition of these. Cutting through cold-worked copper or bronze or any kind of steel (ie. not pure iron) armor is not going to happen, but it just might work against hardened leather and other non-metallic rigid armors.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
And at a brief glance at various sites and articles discussing how katanas were made, I have to agree with Darkness that it doesn't seem likely many medieval katanas would have had steel of different composition (pre-quenching) along the edge and the spine. I could be very wrong about this, though.

Methods varied from smith to smith, but it was not uncommon for japanese smiths to use multiple layers (laminate) of steel with different compositions. A good example of this is the "soshu" (spelling?) style, which used 7 different layers.
Adarael
Alright, I'm gonna talk about armor and swords here for a moment, and talk to each point I'd like to clarify in turn. Y'all are gonna have to bear with me when it comes time for history lessons and such, but hey.

Nidhogg said:
The katana existed centuries before the Japanese started wearing (effective) armor with any regularity. 'Heavy' armor, in Japan at least, did not start gaining popularity until sometime in the 14th century (or possibly late 13th, I don't have any of my source materials on hand at the moment), which was, incidently, around the first time the Japanese had any meaningful contact with the European nations.

Heavy armor came and went with the times and the kinds of problems facing the bugei of any particular era. I just deleted a long and very dry paragraph talking about the types of armor that were used and when. Instead of that, I'll just list the prevalent styles:

4th-6th Centuries: 'Tanko' Armor - solid metal plate construction.
7th-9th Centuries: 'Keiko' Armor - hardened leather or bronze (much rarer) scale construction.
9th-12th Centuries: O-Yoroi - hardened leather scale with additional hardened leather fronespiece on the chest, occasionally with metal plate backing on the torso. This is the first armor to make use of kote (sleeves), most of which are cloth impregnated with mail around the forearm, with solid metal plates on the upper arm, a style known as 'bishamon-gote'. This armor was designed for mounted archers, as this was the primary calling for the bugei of this era. Kinda a bitch to move in on the ground, but not so much of a bitch it impairs fighting. It's just basically uncomfortable.
12th Centuries+: Do-Maru, Haramaki-do, etc. 'Scale construction' armor as we know it now started in this period. Rank and file soldiers would generally have hardened leather scale, officers would have steel scale. It's worth noting that despite being 'scale armor', it's nowhere near as loose as scale-on-leather as Europe and the Middle East had it. The scales were laced tightly together and then laquered, forming 'boards' of armor. This era also marked the rise of the use of haidate (upper leg armor); generally haidate plates were made of metal, not leather.
14th Century: Mail impregnation becomes the norm for all joints and non-plated areas such as the arms, armpits, et cetera. Suneate (lower-leg guards) become much more common. These are almost always made of steel plates with a 'coat-of-plates' style knee guard. There's only two types of suneate that don't use metal, and one of those was a coat-of-plates style guard, and the other is made of hardened leather and was fairly rare.
15th Century+: As a rule of thumb, metal becomes more common, solid-construction breastplate style armor becomes more common, mail becomes heavier, and then you get to the Edo period and everything gets frilly and generally worthless for warfare.

So. What does this tell us? It tells us that the Japanese had some pretty disparate armor that was, in general, pretty good at stopping weaponry. It also explains why most schools of swordsmanship from the era tried to make cuts at joints, straps, or through gapping in the armor. Their armor was under no circumstances harder to get through than plate - though some of the 15th and 16th century suits came fairly close. However, it was far from 'weak' armor, as the armor is much tougher to cut through than many equivalent types of hardened leather from surrounding countries. (You're probably going to have to trust me on that one, unless you have somewhere you can go to actually physically look at and pick up suits of hon kozane armor. They're very hard-plate-shell like, due to the stiffness of the 'boards' of armor).

If the katana had indeed been designed for use against better protective armor than Japanese warfare had been previously acustomed to, then there would more than likely have been radical changes in the design of the blade in order to adapt to new advances in personal protection (in this case, better armor). Besides the fact that a single bladed weapon which was not designed for thrusting attacks is definately a suboptimal choice for combating armor, the fact that the basic design of the katana has changed little over its (very long) history suggests that no such evolution was necissary, and thus, not designed for use against armor.

Actually, the katana has undergone some fairly decent changes over time, but most of the are with regards to construction style, not shape. In general it became shorter and sharper over time (from the time when they were intended as a mounted weapon to an all-purpose weapon). This is where the real 'mythic' nature of the Katana came from - it's a study in doing more with less. Since Japan didn't have the ten tons of iron to toss around that Europe did, artisans spent more time and effort on individual weapons and suits of metal armor than most European counterparts did, though High Gothic armor and weapons would certainly give them a run for their money. Most of the changes in the katana were in terms of refining forging techniques, not changing the shape of the blade. The only blade-shape change was to reduce the level of curvature found in earlier tachi to the more slight curve in the katana.

As to thrusting, every historical Japanese school of swordplay that we know about (via historical texts, not modern inheritants) used thrusts. Part of the major difference between Europe and Japan with regards to sword style and thrusting is that the Japanese did a lot less of it in general, due to a lack of shields and the fact that the Katana is a two-handed weapon. In general, cultures that made heavy use of shields had more thrusts in their styles than ones that didn't use shields as much - or at least use shields in formation. At least as far as I know - that isn't fact so much as supposition from what I know about various cultures.

In summation, I'm not saying your ideas are wrong in nature, I'm saying they're wrong in degree. There's no way a katana would fare decently well against European plate armors, but they could do a decent job against leather, coat of plates, mail or such similar armors.

Austere Emancipator said:
I agree that in certain conditions such a sword could be used to cut through leather armor in combat, but whether I can agree with the "medium armours" bit depends on your definition of these. Cutting through cold-worked copper or bronze or any kind of steel (ie. not pure iron) armor is not going to happen, but it just might work against hardened leather and other non-metallic rigid armors.

How I respond to this depends entirely on how I read your meaning. If you mean cutting through cold-worked copper or bronze in terms of PLATES wouldn't happen, you're dead on the money. If you mean small plates, scales, or mail, I regret to inform you that you're incorrect. The attacks taught to soldiers relied primarily on cutting through mail and small-plate areas of armor much more than through the leather portions. Cutting attacks were directed at arms, sides of legs, shoulders, neck and hips - all of which were generally protected by metal in scale, small-plate or mail fashion - and thrusts were the preferred method of defeating torso, thigh and stomach protection.

If you're talking about hard plates though, yes. But by the same token, European swords couldn't defeat later plate armors dead-on, either, and tactics had to be revised to attack joints, joining straps, or just to straight bludgeon the wearer unconscious. Some of the more amusing manuals I've seen involve two guys in plate, with the tactics of both parties seeming to be 'wrestle the other dude to the ground and stab him through the face with your knife.'
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Adarael)
If you mean small plates, scales, or mail, I regret to inform you that you're incorrect. The attacks taught to soldiers relied primarily on cutting through mail and small-plate areas of armor much more than through the leather portions.

I would love to see that in action, to see a sword actually cut through 1.5+mm thick cold-worked steel (or any other 100VPH+ metal, either in small plates or as a mesh of wire of that gauge) on a single slashing attack. I have never witnessed or heard of a sword managing anything like that, nor can I even remember references to using cutting attacks (connect-and-draw as opposed to simply hacking) against opponents in metal armor anywhere. If you've got any references, I am very interested in seeing them.

As far as I can tell, sword attacks against metal armor weren't meant to cut through those parts of the armor, but to hack or bash through them -- and this I know can be done with certain swords against most such forms of metal armor (excluding plate armor, and may be unfeasibly difficult against some other types as well). But, again, I could be wrong and I'd appreciate any references.

QUOTE (Adarael)
If you're talking about hard plates though, yes. But by the same token, European swords couldn't defeat later plate armors dead-on, either [...]

Absolutely. The point of my message was to say that it can't be done with any swords, not just Japanese ones.
Adarael
Ahh, for a reference on mail gauge sizes, I think 1.5mm is about the largest you'd be likely to get under most European circumstances. Japanese mail uses smaller thickness wire, but with a tigher weave.

I forget the title of the book, but I'll ask my friend Lance since he lent it to me... but it was a book on the historical arms and armor of Germany, Poland and the Low Countries. The author did some testing with different types of mail against a modern sword built using historical techniques - basically he'd wrap up a flank of meat in chain, and haul off and whack it one. He does indicate that this isn't a scientific test at all, but he personally wanted to see if it could be done, how it could be done, etc.

Basically, about 3/4ths of time he'd cut through the mail by about 2-4 inches. How well this represents the battlefield, I don't know, but it's certainly unlikely a target would... you know, stand still like a piece of meat. However, it does indicate that if you landed a solid shot you'd probably blow some of the links and cut the guy underneath.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Adarael)
Ahh, for a reference on mail gauge sizes, I think 1.5mm is about the largest you'd be likely to get under most European circumstances. Japanese mail uses smaller thickness wire, but with a tigher weave.

16 gauge wire is 1.6mm in outer diameter, and according to several articles (like this) that's quite average for mail hauberks -- though admittedly the actual thickness of the ring in the direction of impact might have been slightly smaller because the rings were usually flattened.

QUOTE (Adarael)
The author did some testing with different types of mail against a modern sword built using historical techniques - basically he'd wrap up a flank of meat in chain, and haul off and whack it one. He does indicate that this isn't a scientific test at all, but he personally wanted to see if it could be done, how it could be done, etc.

As you know, this kind of testing can be totally off-base depending on the exact construction of the mail -- was the mail riveted or alternating riveted and punched rings, or even (gasp) butted mail? Were the rings flattened? Were the rivets round or triangular? What kind of iron/steel were the rings made of, and how were they worked and treated? What kind of padding was used?

QUOTE (Adarael)
Basically, about 3/4ths of time he'd cut through the mail by about 2-4 inches.

That seems really weird. It would be understandable if he'd been hitting an unpadded piece of mail against a log, or poor quality butted mail, but it's completely at odds with everything I know about how one-handed swords would be expected to fare against decent quality mail. You can see some testing of swords vs. replica armor here -- note that there are no serious penetrations with cutting or hacking attacks with swords, even though most mail in those tests is of poor quality, and some of it is even butted.

Here is a picture of substandard quality riveted mail after it was hit with a longsword over a piece of meat -- compare it with butted mail after it's been hit with blunted swords. There are plenty of test cutting videos, pictures and other reports available on the net, but I've yet to see a single one where decent quality riveted, padded mail over a target with some give (meat, punching bags, etc.) has been penetrated by a one-handed sword cut.
Adarael
1.5 mm, 1.6 mm, ehh. smile.gif I couldn't remember if 16 was 1.6 or 1.5 milimeters, but that's what I was thinking of for 'standard' mail. As to the types he was testing, he tested mostly varying types of rivetted and solid-and-rivet alternating mail. Most of the variance was weave type and steel quality. One test was on welded high-quality steel (I don't remember what type, though) mail just for fun, and I'm pretty sure he didn't get beans outa that test.

The ARMA tests are interesting, sure - I've seen them in the past. I'm also not saying the chain-on-meat test is exactly accurate either - it just happens to be the only size-of-hole test I recall off hand. Most of the other sources I've read agree that mail is difficult to split with a strike, but far from impossible. The only real problem I have with some of the ARMA tests is that rather that put a layer of mail over a gambeson, they put a bundle of mail over a gambeson, and that's a bit odd for a test.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Adarael)
Most of the other sources I've read agree that mail is difficult to split with a strike, but far from impossible.

That I agree with. To get back to the original point, though, that's all just bashing the mail hard enough that some of the rings burst. Nowhere in these tests has anyone managed, or even really tried, to cut mail with a sword.
Adarael
Oh, if my choice of the word 'cut' isn't to your liking, really I was using it as in "to strike with sufficient force to divide', which is always gonna be pretty bash-y against armor. Sorry if that caused some confusion.
emo samurai
And the surface across which you spread your force has everything to do with it; if he bashed it with that amount of force with a club or a metal plate, the mail might not have parted. In fact, every time you "cut," you're just bashing with force that is focused across a very small surface area.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (emo samurai)
In fact, every time you "cut," you're just bashing with force that is focused across a very small surface area.

Maybe this is just showing that English isn't my native language, but to me applying a sudden force over a particular area isn't "cutting". If you replace a warhammer's spike with a narrow axe-head and smash an armor plate with that, to me that's not "cutting". When you cut a loaf of bread, you don't hack it with a knife like you're chopping wood with an axe. In my mind, if you say you "cut" something with a sword, that means applying pressure against the object and then drawing (or thrusting) the edge along the object to cut into it -- this can slice through unhardened leather armor, but it simply will not work with a sword against metal armor.

I realize this is just semantics now, but I would like to make it absolutely clear that cutting decent mail, scale or plate armor with a sword is just not going to happen. If we all agreed on that in the first place, then my apologies for going on about it.
nick012000
Unless you're a troll, or a cybermonster. cyber.gif
emo samurai
But it wouldn't work with a wider edge, with more surface area; the armor is only parted because of the long, very, very thin area that actually hits the armor. Cutting is focusing force into a very small, very thin area; it's just bashing with focus. It didn't crush the mail; it simply divided it by focused application of force. When deciding whether or not something is broken or cut, you use area of contact and force; armor is no different from flesh or paper in this respect.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (emo samurai)
It didn't crush the mail; it simply divided it by focused application of force.

Based on all the pictures and videos I've seen of swords vs mail testing, I have to disagree. In all those pictures, the individual rings are crushed and mangled, they do not exhibit any sign of having been sheared. In an extreme case, such as when a very sharp and very hard sword edge comes down on a small piece of mail stretched over something rigid, it could happen, but not in anything resembling a real combat situation.
MaxMahem
In an extreme case, such as when a very sharp and very hard sword edge comes down on a small piece of mail stretched over something rigid, it could happen, but not in anything resembling a real combat situation.

I'd just like to point out that this is exactly what my magical mono-wire tends to be. Extreamly sharp (due to it's small size) and extreamly hard (due to it's high breaking strength).

Also, I've been running the numbers some more, and I have had to full embrace the concept of magical mono-wire. There is realy no way it can be as strong and as sharp as I would like it without being magic. Meh, reality is overated.
TheHappyAnarchist
Alien metal!!! Alien Metal!!!!

Or better yet, Magic Metal!!!

Say it with me. Orichalcum Monowhips!!!

wink.gif

Anyways, armor of the past was much much more effective than it gets credit for in any roleplaying games.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012