Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a monosword?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mfb
why do people always for get that monowire is not monomolecular? it's not some mystical infinitely-thin thread, it's just really thin, really strong fishing line.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Oracle)
Possibly I would have tried it with a 'Rabenschnabel'. I do not know the english term.

In common usage, I think that'll pass as simply "warhammer", which would indeed be a decently good weapon to use against someone heavily armored. I've no doubt dedicated armor piercing one-handed melee weapons can penetrate plate armor with a good swing.

mfb: Related to that, I'd like to know exactly how sharp a well-sharpened cut-and-thrust sword's edge should be when it's not expected to get a lot of contact with metal. I wouldn't be very surprised if you'd actually get a duller sword with a monowire thick enough to handle that kind of use.
mfb
honestly, sword edges shouldn't be razor-sharp anyway, whether they're going up against metal armor or not. you'll put huge nicks in an over-sharpened blade just whacking it against bone.

to be honest, i can't imagine what a monosword looks like. some kind of double-bladed cheese slicer, maybe? or do they lay the monowire on the actual edge of the blade itself, magically affixing it so that it doesn't come off?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
you'll put huge nicks in an over-sharpened blade just whacking it against bone.

I realize that. On the other hand, in order for monowire to handle being whacked between metal and bone, it too has to be somewhere around the thickness of the human hair or even thicker.

QUOTE (mfb)
or do they lay the monowire on the actual edge of the blade itself, magically affixing it so that it doesn't come off?

This is how I always figured it. Else there'd be no way the wire wouldn't snap when you swing it at something rigid.
Darkness
This is also how it is described on p. 305, SR4
QUOTE ( SR4 @ p. 305, Blades)
This well balanced broadsword features superfine monofilament wire attached to its edges.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Darkness)
This is also how it is described on p. 305, SR4
QUOTE ( SR4 @ p. 305, Blades)
This well balanced broadsword features superfine monofilament wire attached to its edges.

wow a straight from the book answere, this is why i don't help much, just genral comments.
Critias
Heh, anyone remember that SR novel where Argent's got a monowhip in one of his fingers, and the bad guy's got a monoblade? And they both glow, and when they fight, and parry one another, there's a big flash of light, and...heh...woo, good times.

Yeah. Those novels are awesome. Heh.
Oracle
Are you sure you haven't been watching some part of the StarWars series?? wink.gif
Critias
It's a big climactic fight scene, against some NAN security guys. Honest.

Now, I can't promise the author hadn't been watching a Star Wars flick. But I know I haven't been.
emo samurai
Which book is that?
Critias
Run Hard, Die Fast, I think. I gave away most of my SR novels (or, rather, sold them back to a used book store) a while ago, so I'm not positive. I know it was Argent versus a corporate security guy from some NAN company, though.

I also recall Argent shooting three-shot bursts from Ingram SuperMachs (one in each hand, naturally).
MaxMahem
I've always pictured a mono-sword as something like the hacksaw Lagomorph mentioned. That is, a mono-wire held taunt by a supporting framework. This gives you most of the cutting power of a mono-whip without the danger, while sacrificing a little agility. Obviously such a weapon would not be usefull for thrusting attacks, but would do very well with slashing attacks. Especialy since my stream-lined house rules have them facing only 1/2 the armor raiting. On average a mono-whip is still more powerful however.

I should note however that this conflicts totaly with how the mono-sword was orginaly presented back in the Street Samuari Catalog (I think thats the first place it shows up). There it is depicted as a typical looking longsword (maybe a little shorter) and described as having a mono-filimate thread pasted along it's edge.
Darkness
Yes the Street Samurai Catalogue is the first SR-Sourcebook to mention the Monofilament Sword. And the description hasn't changed much since then.
emo samurai
It's still awesome. But I think they should have plate-glass knives like in Snow Crash.
Squinky
Yeah, I've always thought of the monosword as just a normal sword with the mono edge....I saw it in the sammy catalouge first though. I never have understood why it didn't do as much damage as a monowhip though...or why one couldn't just make one of these "hack-saw-mono swords" with a monowhip and use the monowhip rules for it (except the reach)...
TheHappyAnarchist
Everyone who thinks they know something about medieval and rennaissance fighting should read this article, as well as the others on the site.

http://www.thearma.org/essays/TopMyths.htm

I had many a poor opinion changed quickly there.

As for weight, we have troopers going in to war carrying 40kg that is not evenly distributed. Really, that much weight is not an issue.

And it is not like this metal has to be very thick. It is made of steel after all, not as easy to get through as you would imagine. Heck, even those warhammers and picks generally wouldn't get through the chestplate, for instance, due to being deflected and not getting a full on strike. They primarily attacked joins in the armor, just like everything else. They were just also better at that.

I just read that novel, it was Run Hard Die Fast. Though I believe it was not so much of a multiple parry fight, but Argent waiting for him to attack as the guy did not know about his monowhip. He pulled it out and disarmed the other guy if I remember right. Don't remember any flashing lights though. I have the book at home, so I can check it out.

Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Squinky)
Yeah, I've always thought of the monosword as just a normal sword with the mono edge....I saw it in the sammy catalouge first though. I never have understood why it didn't do as much damage as a monowhip though...or why one couldn't just make one of these "hack-saw-mono swords" with a monowhip and use the monowhip rules for it (except the reach)...

It doesn't have the damage of a monowhip because it's got a big, thick sword behind it. Even if the edge is very sharp, the entire sword has non-negligible width.

As for why the hack saw wouldn't work, (and please remember this is all just my interpretation of the stuff) is that while monowire is very sharp and very strong (for it's size) it is neither infinitely sharp nor infinitely strong. It can't, CAN'T be all that strong at that width. The reason a monowhip doesn't break is because it either encounters negligible resistance while cutting through things, or when it encounters something that it can't cut, there's only a teeny tiny weight on the end providing minimal strain, so it just wraps around. IMO if you were to grab the handle and the little weight at the end of a monowhip such that your fingers didn't all fall off, you could break the line as easily as snapping a sewing thread (maybe a little harder, but you get the idea). With monowire bonded to the edge of a sword, there's no problem. It's sharp, but nothing is really straining the wire in a way that would snap it when you're cutting things. Now, if you suspend the wire on a hack-saw, you're fine as long as you never encounter anything that the wire can't easily cut. Except of course, even after you cut your near-infinitesimally thin cut in someone, two inches of swing later you're just hitting them with a bar, so it doesn't cut any deeper than the width of the "hack-saw". You then cut a nasty notch as you pull the weapon away, but still no sweet, sweet severing. While the monowire is very sharp, the metal pole it's attached to prevents deep cutting. Plus, if the wire ever hits anything that it can't easily cut through, it's got the full force of your swing behind it, and since it's held tight from both ends it has no give, so it just snaps.

And this says nothing at all about the balance issues of trying to fight with something shaped like a hack-saw. Possible, but an awkward weapon at best.

So, the way I see it, the hack-saw-mono-sword is do-able, just not that great as a weapon. A mini-version would be a GREAT accessory on a swiss army knife, though
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Oracle)
Possibly I would have tried it with a 'Rabenschnabel'. I do not know the english term.

In common usage, I think that'll pass as simply "warhammer"

I believe the vernacular is "can opener".
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Dec 30 2005, 05:58 AM)
QUOTE (Oracle)

In common usage, I think that'll pass as simply "warhammer"

I believe the vernacular is "can opener".

I usually call it a "Holy crap look what that psycho has! Run like hell!"
biggrin.gif
Zolhex
Ok so what is a monosword simple....

Mono meaning one so therefor a mono sword is one sword grinbig.gif silly.gif

Also a katana can shatter if you follow the concepts of that one highlander movie.

Critias
QUOTE (Casazil)
Also a katana can shatter if you follow the concepts of that one highlander movie.

They only ever made one Highlander movie.

AND NEVER SAY OTHERWISE. NEVER!
Zolhex
BAH! 2 was the only one I had a BIG problem with the others were good as far as I am concernd.

Question you do know they are making Highlander the sourse? Adrian paul setting movie I think for 2006.
Squinky
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Casazil @ Dec 30 2005, 02:05 PM)

They only ever made one Highlander movie.

AND NEVER SAY OTHERWISE. NEVER!

Amen to that.

I can see the issues with the hack saw style mono-whip sword, but heres an idea:

Using a whip as a basis, make the tip and the pommel be magnetically oppistie each other, so it would straighten out and be sword-like. I use magnettically, but I am sure there are cooler ways to make things repel from each other in SR4, I am just not coming up with anything better. But anyways, if you can achieve that, then it should work as I mentioned....maybe?
redwulf25_ci
QUOTE (Nkari)
QUOTE (Liper @ Dec 30 2005, 02:25 AM)
Anything that required a hoist to get people onto thier mounts can't of been that light...

That is so utterly wrong and I cant still belive ppl still belive that..

Full plate where not that heavy, its some moron during the late 1800's that thought up the über heavy armour thingie, with no basis on reality.

IIRC such heavy armor did exist, but it was not combat armor it was for parades, jousting, or decorating your castle. Only an idiot would have worn it to battle.
redwulf25_ci
QUOTE (mfb)
why do people always for get that monowire is not monomolecular? it's not some mystical infinitely-thin thread, it's just really thin, really strong fishing line.

Because, IIRC and I'm recalling this from earlier editions, monowire is described in the book as being monomolecular.
Azralon
As mentioned in .... I think Street Samurai Catalog itself .... there's "monomolecular," and then there's "monofilament." The Shadowtalk pointed out that someone's shoelace can be a monofilament but won't be easily lopping any heads off.
mfb
QUOTE (Hermes @ SSC page 6)
Remember, this isn't a real monomolecular line we're talking about.
BetaFlame
With the super high grade polymers and steel in Shadowrun, couldn't a super sharp sword be just as viable as a less-sharp-more-smash sword? Given that people aren't running around in full plate anymore, it seems possible to make a grade of metal that is, in fact, stronger than bone.

I won't suggest you'll cut through anyone's femer with it, but a short rib or your wrist/arm bones doesn't seem out of the question.

Or even that the bone will chip before the sword does.
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb)

Thanks, mfb!
Darkness
Monomolecular means that the object in question is just one giant molecule, not just many molecules happyly residing alongside each other (like the crystaline structure of modern semiconductors).
It clearly depends on the shape of the monomolecular object. You could make a monomolecular wall, if you want to, but that wouldn't cut anybody. It would be more stable (i think) than a standard wall, because the innermolecular adhesion powers are stronger than those between two molecules of the same type, but thats it.

You can, OTOH, create very thin objects (lines), which are highly stable, because of this effect, and would indeed be quite "sharp".
So, a monowhip should have a thickness that allows for the optimum of a "cutting-capacity to durability" ratio.

That's how i perceive monowires and monomolecular materials.
Azralon
If I remember my chemistry correctly, a common rubber car tire is technically one big meshed long-chain molecule.

But that's just quibbling about semantics. smile.gif
stevebugge
Fear the Polymers!
Darkness
I think you are right. ^^
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mfb)

Keep in mind, that's a comment that refers to the monosword. The description of the monowhip from the SR1 core rulebook did specifically call it out as monomolecular.

In short, they were trying to present the monosword as something that was marketed as being the monowhip in sword form, when really it was using slightly inferior tech.
Critias
But that's slightly inferior tech that doesn't cut your arm off on a bad swing.
MaxMahem
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

As for why the hack saw wouldn't work, (and please remember this is all just my interpretation of the stuff) is that while monowire is very sharp and very strong (for it's size) it is neither infinitely sharp nor infinitely strong.  It can't, CAN'T be all that strong at that width.  The reason a monowhip doesn't break is because it either encounters negligible resistance while cutting through things, or when it encounters something that it can't cut, there's only a teeny tiny weight on the end providing minimal strain, so it just wraps around.  IMO if you were to grab the handle and the little weight at the end of a monowhip such that your fingers didn't all fall off, you could break the line as easily as snapping a sewing thread (maybe a little harder, but you get the idea).  With monowire bonded to the edge of a sword, there's no problem.  It's sharp, but nothing is really straining the wire in a way that would snap it when you're cutting things.  Now, if you suspend the wire on a hack-saw, you're fine as long as you never encounter anything that the wire can't easily cut.  Except of course, even after you cut your near-infinitesimally thin cut in someone, two inches of swing later you're just hitting them with a bar, so it doesn't cut any deeper than the width of the "hack-saw".  You then cut a nasty notch as you pull the weapon away, but still no sweet, sweet severing.  While the monowire is very sharp, the metal pole it's attached to prevents deep cutting.  Plus, if the wire ever hits anything that it can't easily cut through, it's got the full force of your swing behind it, and since it's held tight from both ends it has no give, so it just snaps.

And this says nothing at all about the balance issues of trying to fight with something shaped like a hack-saw.  Possible, but an awkward weapon at best.

So, the way I see it, the hack-saw-mono-sword is do-able, just not that great as a weapon.  A mini-version would be a GREAT accessory on a swiss army knife, though

Not to disregard your opinion, but I see it rather diffrently. In my games mono-wire is both infintesimally small (<10nm) and incredibly strong (>100GPa). Thus such thread is both incredibly sharp and deadly as a cutting tool IF you have some momentum behind it to cut with. It is also all but impossible to break by conventional means. I would call for at least Strength (6) test at least to try and break it by hand. Such a strong and sharp wire is not likely to break during any typical combat use, characters, even cyberenhanced Trolls, simply do not have enough strength to apply the necessary amount of force.

Which is not to say that the mono-wire will cut through everything it comes into contact with. Although it posses deadly sharpness, it's mass is virtualy non-existant, so it can be hard to connect with enough momentum to properly utilise that sharpness. If you were to just gently lay the mono-wire down on a table it wouldn't automaticaly slide through it, because it lacks the momentum.

For a good example of what I envision a monowire to be like in practice you should see the film Johnny Mnemonic, one of the bad guys uses one quite promently there. In my Shadowrun games the damage it does is not generaly so devestating, but can be pretty close. 8P+success versus 1/2 armor can be pretty nasty. Certianly worse than most blade wounds except those weilded by the very strongest of characters. I typicaly depict mono-wire wounds as nasty incisions (like the "notch" you talk about) into a characters flesh if non-fatal, or more grahpic decapitations and the like for fatal wounds. Armor typical is only able to mitigate, wounds as the monowire either cuts through it (while losing some more momentum) or wraps around/aside it (losing some momentum).

As for the hacksaw "monosword" I agree that it could be an unwieldy weapon. Most criticaly it would lack the mass that is associated with most cutting weapons. While you could certianly add mass to it, to me that takes away from some of the "flavor" of the weapon. What the monosword lacks in mass it makes up for insane sharpness. I visulise the support bar as being very thin and beveled to aid penetration. How deaply you are able to cut is a matter of hard you swing (strength) and how well (success) with strength mattering less. It's not hard for me to imagine the support bar following through to sever a limb or head, it did have an uber-sharp mono-wire to pave the way for it.

That said a hacksaw like "monosword" is certianly less deadly than the mono-wire whip. Again the reason is momentum, the light weapon cannot generate the same amount of force as the twirling lashing whip can. That's not to so say it is a joke. A typical wound might carve a "noch" into someone as you say, lacking the momentum to penetrate deep enough to complely sever a body part. But a "notch" can still be quite nasty. A 2 or so inch "notch" would sever and completly remove a good chunky of muscles, nerves, and arteries. Try and imagine such a block of flesh carved from your arm, such a thing would not pleasant.

-----

Of coures as a disclaimer this is my own view and pretty disregards "cannon" on somepoints. In fact one of my favorite shadowtalk quotes from SR comes from the entry on this one.
Cuts virtually anything like butter!

Don't buy the hype, kiddies.  Remember, this ain't a realy monomolecular line we're talking about here.  Sure it may be monofilament, but so what?  My sneaker lace is monofilament, too, but you don't see me lopping any limbs off with that!
-- Hermes <08:17:30/11-28-50>

BTW, after a secound look the picture in SSC looks more like a broadsword or straight edged cutlass than the longsword I said earlier.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (MaxMahem)
Although it posses deadly sharpness, it's mass is virtualy non-existant, so it can be hard to connect with enough momentum to properly utilise that sharpness. If you were to just gently lay the mono-wire down on a table it wouldn't automaticaly slide through it, because it lacks the momentum.

For a good example of what I envision a monowire to be like in practice you should see the film Johnny Mnemonic, one of the bad guys uses one quite promently there.

However, you should disregard the one scene where the character in question loops his monowhip and slices through a door with it, removing the portion that contains the knob and lock. Swinging a loop of this virtually massless monowire against a flat surface like a door would not provide enough momentum to let it slice into the surface.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (MaxMahem)
Not to disregard your opinion, but I see it rather diffrently. In my games mono-wire is both infintesimally small (<10nm) and incredibly strong (>100GPa). Thus such thread is both incredibly sharp and deadly as a cutting tool IF you have some momentum behind it to cut with. It is also all but impossible to break by conventional means.

You'll have to adjust the numbers quite a bit if you want that to make sense. With a diameter of 0.00000001m that means you have a cross-section of 0.00000000000000007853975m^2. Even at 100GPa (single-walled carbon nanotubes have been tested to have a tensile strength of 63GPa) that'd mean you'd only need a force of 0.000007853975 Newtons to snap it. That means a hanging mass of 0.00000080061kg (0.8 micrograms, to put that in perspective, a common house fly would be something like 2000 times too heavy to be supported by it). That's not "impossible to break" -- that'd mean it'd be completely incapable of supporting the weight that's supposed to be hanging at the end of a monowhip.

If you want it to be extremely difficult to break, still assuming 100GPa (which doesn't seem likely with carbon nanotubes), you'd have to make it far thicker. For example, at 0.00008m in diameter (about average for dark brown human hair), it'd snap under a tensile force of 502.65N, which translates to a hanging mass of 51.239kg -- you could easily snap it with a tug if you could get a good grip of the counterweight or if you could arrest it around something solid. Yet if it's as large in diameter as a human hair, then you can forget about the magical "cuts everything" properties (well, you could anyway, but you get the point).

So either you have to completely disregard math and physics, or you to accept that monofilaments/monowires/monowhips/monoswords don't make particularly scary weapons.
MaxMahem
Hmm... checks your math. Seems like your right.

I guess I'll have to go with completely disregarding math and physics then. Not that big a deal in game with Magic, Trolls, and Dragons IMO. Theme has always been more important to me then reality to me anyways, and my game reflects that.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (MaxMahem)
I guess I'll have to go with completely disregarding math and physics then. Not that big a deal in game with Magic, Trolls, and Dragons IMO.

Ah, the old stand-by. I have nothing against magical monowire, as long as you realize that you are indeed talking about magical monowire.
mfb
QUOTE (BetaFlame)
With the super high grade polymers and steel in Shadowrun, couldn't a super sharp sword be just as viable as a less-sharp-more-smash sword?

not really (but see below). no matter how many different ways you alloy it or fold it or quench it in whatever crazy sword-quenching materials you want to try, there's a limit on how well thin metal will stand up to hard impacts.

now, with dikote, you can get a little sharper with less fear of edge-chipping. how much sharper, i don't know; Cray74 would be better able to tell you than i, but i'm given to understand that the difference is significant.
BetaFlame
not really (but see below). no matter how many different ways you alloy it or fold it or quench it in whatever crazy sword-quenching materials you want to try, there's a limit on how well thin metal will stand up to hard impacts

What about the various plastics? We can already make plastic as hard as some steel (granted we can't sharpened that well yet), but given 70 years, it doesn't seem out of the question that we could make plastic harder and more resilent that steel.

I'm not a metallurgist/engineer or anything, that is why I am asking.

How does dikote work? Does it make your item look like a diamond, or is the coat thin and clear and not change the appearence? Something in between? The thing I've always hated about SR was the lack of artwork for the weapons. Thankfully, that changed in SR4.

I didn't start playing in SR3 (In 2000, actully), so I missed alot of the good books it seems :\
Hasaku
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
So either you have to completely disregard math and physics, or you to accept that monofilaments/monowires/monowhips/monoswords don't make particularly scary weapons.

You could get around the strength issue by encasing the thinnest possible line in a slaver stasis field, which is nigh indestructible. You'd end up with a rigid, ultra thin blade with a small knob on the tip to cap off the line/field. You could even adjust the length of this "varisword" by reeling the line in/out. Fully contracted, it would be the size of the handle, small enough to fit inside a haunch of rotting meat.

Scream and leap. The monkey-boys will never know what hit 'em. biggrin.gif
Orb
Previous sourcebooks have mentioned a material known as "Plasteel". Its a plastic that's strong and tough as steel. I think it was primarilly used for structural purposes and high-end armour plating.

As for Dikote, I think it would be obvious. Most ceramic spray coatings available today are very obvious and look nothing like steel.
mfb
i've always pictured dikote as a thin, transparent film, probably covering only a few mm of the edge of the blade. if you know what to look for, it'll be easy to spot.

as for plasteel, i couldn't even begin to guess what kind of blade it'd make. i will note that the only mentions of plasteel i've seen are in structural work--car bodies, building framework, etcetera. the kind of materials you want for structural material is different from the kind of materials you'd want for a weapon. plasteel could be very resistant to high levels of slowly-applied stress--holding up a building for instance--and still be easily chipped or dented from sharp, sudden impacts like blocking a weapon or chopping bone.
Squinky
I've always pictured Dikote adding a glazed effect, like when you glaze ceramics....
mfb
yeah, well, you're wrong and i'm right. so there.
Adarael
QUOTE (Nidhogg)
Frankly, I don't see where the western idea of the katana as the uber-sword came from- the weapon's only purpose is to eviscerate unarmored opponents, and beyond that role is actualy very much inferior to Western blades.

Above and beyond the old saw that katanas are 'brittle' (What katana? From what smith? From what time period? It varies a hell of a lot)...

Please, please, please, stop repeating the statement that Katanas are for cutting unarmored opponents. They are for killing people in and out of armor. I don't care what you heard, the Japanese had and used armor. This was not consistently 'light' armor. This armor ran the gamut from 'pretty much nothing' to 'my god, that's like wearing a pot.'

Contrary to popular beliefs, this armor was not made of wood or paper. It was made of hardened leather with a laquer coat, or chain and cloth, or metal plates. Sometimes, they would even pull a full breastplate.

So please. Stop saying the katana is for unarmored opponents.
RunnerPaul
But apparently, they are for robbing convenence stores in the UK.
Adarael
Well, I guess if guns are really hard to get, you use what you can find...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012