Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: The Fix is In
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
TinkerGnome
ic.gif Thread
Recruitment Thread

Please continue to use the recruitment thread for character generation discussions. Characters are due on the 15th.

I'm a fan of the following conventions for use IC:

Character/NPC names: Bold
Time/date stamps: color=cyan
Locations: color=orange
Thoughts: italics

The locations one please use if you remember, otherwise don't worry too much about it. I'll use it in my posts to help with clarity.

The calls all go out between five and six pm. With transit time, everyone has an hour or two to do any preliminaries. Please declare your commlink's state (hidden, passive, active) as a part of your IC post or here in an OOC post.

The team is:

Silo: Freebird, M Ork, Gunslinger Adept
nick012000: Razorblade, F Elf, Face Adept
Nu_Fenix: Electric Eddy, M Troll, Combat Mage
Oracle: BBO, M Ork, Street Samurai/JoAT
gobogen: The Priest, M Human, Support Mage
ES_Sparky: Fade, F Troll, Sam/Driver

Check the website for further info, including descriptions.
HeySparky
*dances*

First!

Commlink is passive.
gobogen
My commlink will be passive. Will post later today. How well do I know that place? Do I know what the UB room is? Oh and it's good to mention that the Priest hangs out in sports bars a lot .. wink.gif

Edit: Also a quick question cause it's probable that someone knows about this: if I conjure a spirit - say spirit of man with reasonable force - and leave him on stand-by say at my apartment. How far away can I go before the link between us breaks?
Silo
Commlink = passive.

Based on the location of this bar, or from a previous visit, how stringent do I think they are on carrying a piece (or two)?
TinkerGnome
If you've been in Seattle for any length of time, you'd be aware that businesses downtown regularly make use of MADs to keep out illegal weaponry. Some establishments, particularly bars and other choice "meet" sites offer something akin to a coat check room for weapons.

THE Sports Bar has had a long history that many feel connects it to the local mafia. They don't offer an above the board gun check room, but if you know the right people (or at least know the right way to talk about it), they're likely to just let you in with your piece. Keep in mind prejudices, though. Trolls and orks will get away with less than humans and elves. Same goes for those of european descent as opposed to those from asian or indian cultures.

Also, tasers are perfectly legal to carry. Licensed pieces will also get in, if your fake SIN and license hold up.
Silo
Word. I am bringing my assault cannon then. Nothing says "let me in" in the right language more than a Panther XL.

Oh wait...I don't have one of those.
Oracle
Commlink = passive

BBO will bring his Yamaha Pulsar Taser.
gobogen
Not knowing what's ahead of him and seeing the last sun rays gone from the night sky, The Priest decides to ask God, with the help of Archangel Gabriel, the permission to summon one of his servants to his side for the evening.. just in case (I'll post IC about that, but it will be easier with the results so here we go).
[ Spoiler ]
Nu_Fenix
My commlink will also be on Passive.

They may be able to stop people going in with Weapons, but nothing stops a Troll with Lightning Blast walking through a MAD smokin.gif
I'll be leaving my Axe at home as its as a subtle as a big double handed Troll sized axe. My vest will be underneath my clothing however, as the street is a dangerous place to be.
gobogen
Excuse the long post, I got carried away. talker.gif Just the bottom part is - somewhat - relevant anyways so don't bother to read it all if you don't feel like it...

Note also that I don't plan to keep on using the first person, I just like to write an introductino to the character in this way.

[ Spoiler ]
TinkerGnome
- Priest -
[ Spoiler ]
Silo
hey, i saw that FanPro tossed out some info on their website about submitting short stories for publication (reference: http://shadowrunrpg.com/fanpro/webfiction_...idelines.shtml).

after reading it, i thought there were some good take aways that would probably to some degree benefit us as we create our own story here. so, here is their list of Do's and Don'ts for Shadowrun stories (i deleted a few that didn't apply...like spell checking).

DO:

Use mature language and concepts. We want dark, dystopian stories, and these help present the Shadowrun world as such.

Make your stories very dark in feel. Actions have consequences. People die, and although personal to the characters, their deaths may be meaningless and inconsequential in the larger scheme of things. Injuries cause pain. Losses cause emotional trauma. Hope is rare; cynicism abounds. Escapism by any means possible is rampant.

Make the setting dystopian. The powerful elite are secure and far removed from base street-level activity. The underclass is scrabbling for basic survival.

Feel free to make characters anti-heroes. Everyone has a dark side.

Keep things as street-level as possible. The action should be low- to mid-level, at best. If megacorporations creep in, the characters are their employees, pawns, or both.

Make the shadows dynamic. With the exception of quiet back-alley tussles, the underworld should react swiftly to changes. Rumors pass through the nets at the speed of light. If an opportunity is seen, someone will lunge for it. If a weakness is found, someone will exploit it.

Integrate augmented reality (commlinks, shopping, advertisements, etc.) into every character's daily life.

Try to make your stories setting-specific. Using current, published Shadowrun settings helps breathe life into them, making them dynamic and believable.

DON'T:

Have underworld characters who never change. Living in the shadows is demanding, dangerous and stressful. Shadowrunners who live past thirty are rare. Runners who retire comfortably are even rarer. Scars (physical and emotional) are common, not to mention implants and replacement parts.

Involve high-level characters if possible. Make the powerful faceless and potent. The heads of megacorporations should rarely be named. If their attention is turned towards the shadows, the effects should be devastating. Their power and influence is so massive as to be off the scale.

Create large-scale, world-shattering events or stories that do not conform to canon.

Forget about magic. Magic is an unexplained and powerful force that only a small (although larger than before) segment of the population can wield. It is feared and misunderstood by most. It is also viewed with fascination and awe. Rumors, half-truths and media/pop culture-inspired exaggerations abound.

Make antagonists into brainless, soulless cannon-fodder. They are people with lives, families, needs and fears. They may also have training, experience and budgets that equip them with the latest gear. In other words, they are not always a monolithic force, but they may not always be easily manipulated or mowed down, either.

Forget about prejudice and intolerance. Bigotry exists against metahumans, ethnicities, genders, classes of society, sexual preferences, (non)religious adherents, various (sub)cultures and more. While bigotry may be lessened in some respects in Shadowrun compared to present life, it is greatly heightened and worse in others.

Make characters into powerhouses. Being good at a few things is fine; being good at anything they touch isn't. Story happens when trouble does.

-silo
gobogen
No need to assence anyone in particular for now.

How obvious is it when a mage does that ? Oh and how long does it take?
TinkerGnome
- All -

Alright, I'll be reviewing backgrounds and final character sheets tomorrow. The karma awards are likely to be around 5, so think about how you'll spend that if you've done a solid background.

ICly, please feel free to take yourself into the meet location and to the table. Feel free to chat amongst yourselves if you're early, up until 0902 when the Johnson appears. That's where my post in the next day or two will pick up.

- Those that can assense -

Assensing is pretty well invisible. Someone might notice you looking at them, but that's about it. Astrally, you just show up as dual natured and that's it. It doesn't take long, but I'll have to think on an exact amount of time. At a guess, about 1 CT.
gobogen
[ Spoiler ]

HeySparky
gobogen - Troll is a woman. Very lean and rangy as they go. Still way taller than you, though, squishie, so watch it. wink.gif

She has a very low essence, clusters in her head, eyes, ears and a web throughout her body. Her essence is very low for the amount of cyber that is visible.
Silo
rotfl.gif @ gobogen!

great IC post!
Silo
By the way, TG...can you edit one of the first posts (like in this thread) with a quick reference to our names, character names, and what we are?

You did it before, but I hate having to find which page in which thread that post is located at.

Thanks.
gobogen
Check out his website which he links in his signature.

TG: Could you put that link up at the top of the IC thread? That could be helpful.
TinkerGnome
I'll do it in a bit, or check the website. On the Fix is In page.

Site

Silo
Cool. Didn't know you had updated yet.
HeySparky
I just noticed nick's post - Razorblade was the first at the table...

Alright! Which of you sat on her?

I guess we're waiting for Nu_Fenix and then we're all here. Minus the J.
Silo
i purposely did not sit on the face.

uh. hmm.

ork humor?
gobogen
Lol, sitting on the face. At least, I have an excuse for not seeing her before !! ^^
TinkerGnome
Alright, I'll be posting this evening sometime with the J's arrival (it's morning here right now). We've got 5 of our 6 at the table. Nu_Fenix should show up before the meet is in full swing, I hope. If not, 5 is fine.
nick012000
Cha+Wil test to avoid trying to seduce the Preist: 6,5,5,4,4,3,2,1,1,1 (3 hits, success)
Silo
Has a runner ever been late for a meeting before?

hehe...
Oracle
Not without being dead.
gobogen
Do you really have to make tests to avoid having to seduce people?

LOL. We're going to have a lot of fun then cool.gif
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Oracle)
Not without being dead.

Or the GM throwing them a complication.

Which I didn't wink.gif
Silo
perhaps he is the johnson....

eek.gif
TinkerGnome
If he walks in at exactly 9 pm, you'll probably think he is wink.gif
Silo
what could be worse than the standard know-it-all-stab-you-in-the-back johnson?

when he is on your team.
HeySparky
Intimidation roll, just for grins...
6, 5, 4, 2 (2 hits, not that scary:) )
Silo
QUOTE (ES_Sparky)

You intimidate yourself.
HeySparky
QUOTE (Silo)
QUOTE (ES_Sparky @ Feb 16 2006, 01:41 PM)

You intimidate yourself.

LOL, yeah, intimidating other PCs is usually meaningless. This was sorta tongue and cheek which is where I was going with the 'indigestion' bit.
Silo
smile.gif

Nu_Fenix
Sorry for the delay all - My girlfriend kidnapped me for Valentines Day. I had to work late on Tuesday night, so I couldn't see her then, so planned to make it up to her today. But, she appeared last night all dressed up and forced me to go to dinner and spend the night with her.
As such, its her fault she took me away from my precious RP, not mine.
nick012000
QUOTE (gobogen)
Do you really have to make tests to avoid having to seduce people?

LOL. We're going to have a lot of fun then cool.gif

To avoid partaking in vice (sex, drugs, BTLs, etc.) nyahnyah.gif

Resist Intimidation test: 6,6,5,5,5,5,4,4,3,3,3,3,2,2,1,1,1,1
4 net hits: She ain't scared. wink.gif
gobogen
Yeah I know .. seductress mentor, etc, was just teasing wink.gif I had figured it out from the +2 con that you mentionned in recruitment. I found it funny though that her reason for testing was "to avoid trying to seduce the priest". grinbig.gif

Alright, now for some abracadabra.
At this point I find out that Eddy is a mage when I look through the astral. I also assense our good ole friend Mr. Johnson:

Aura Reading: 5 1 5 3 2 6 1 3 2 6 2 ::: 4 hits
TinkerGnome
Assensing the Johnson
[ Spoiler ]
HeySparky
LOL

gobogen - you realize that Fade is a woman, right? I mean, if Priest doesn't that's one thing, but I don't want there to be any OOC confusion. smile.gif
Silo
LOL...are trolls hard to tell the sex of...like hairy little dwarves?

rotfl.gif

By the way, I am going out of town this weekend, but should still be able to post sparingly and sporadically.
gobogen
Yeah I totally understand that Fade is a female smile.gif

Whether Priest does is another thing. wink.gif I guess he doesn't see trolls as potentially sexually active beings. Would he be raaaaacist ? indifferent.gif

To be honest, the "he" was a typo. But now that it's there, I'll keep it this way. If he had paid attention, he would know at least from assensing her.
Silo
Is anyone else having troubles getting messages from dumpshock when a new post is posted in a thread you are subscribed to?

I didn't have anything in my inbox this morning, figured I'd check anyway, and there have been 5 posts in the IC thread. This has been happening for about a week and a half now and I am getting tired of having to manually look in every thread I've subscribed to to see if there have been replies.
TinkerGnome
I'm out of town (and on a plane) pretty much all day tomorrow. I'll catch up tomorrow night or Wed.
HeySparky
I'm getting messages for TFII. That only happens to me when I forget to subscribe to a thread I'm following. And then I feel really silly.
Silo
Hmm, it is only happening intermittently to me.
TinkerGnome
If you haven't already, guys, post IC with either more questions for the Johnson, negotiations, or your agreement to do the job. Or your refusal, if you wish.
Silo
Everyone decide to take a mid-week break or something?

I'm tempted to post a "Freebird twiddles his thumbs" message...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012