Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An odd possibility
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Witness
Thanks smile.gif
There's more. But I'll have to wait till my current game progresses a little further before I post some tantalising documents from the 2050s and 2060s for you guys to argue over!
Azralon
QUOTE (Azralon @ Apr 6 2006, 05:11 PM)
Warning: This is an old discussion that can't lead to a satisfactory conclusion.

Friendly reminder. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (neko128 @ Apr 9 2006, 03:11 PM)
Complex Forms, at least from what I can see, are MUCH closer to spells than skills,

From a mechanics point of view, the similarities of Complex Forms to Skills
- You buy each up one point at a time.
- You add their rating in dice to the die pool.
- Use does not cause Drain/Fading.
- There are no -2 die "sustaining" pentalies associated with them.

Threading is the closest Technomancer game mechanic to Spells.

and I have no idea why you say this.

Because you haven't really looked at the game mechanics themselves, just giving a superficial glance just as many others have? Once again Techonmancer game mechanics are similar but fundementally different than Magicians.
Witness
QUOTE (Azralon @ Apr 6 2006, 05:11 PM)
Warning: This is an old discussion that can't lead to a satisfactory conclusion.

How many discussions ever do?
James McMurray
blakkie: nobody ever said they were identical that I can see. In fact, the thread started because they are similar, not because they are identical.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 10 2006, 09:28 AM)
blakkie: nobody ever said they were identical that I can see. In fact, the thread started because they are similar, not because they are identical.

I repeat:

They are different enough that most people mistakenly equate Complex Forms to Spells when in fact they are closer to being Skills. I suspect that is because Complex Forms don't really have a magical equivalent.

Neko even unwittingly helped backed up my observation on this. love.gif The similarities really are just that they are in the same game instead of being a different game for every section like it was in SR3. You are mistaking OOC organization as IC links.

EDIT: Oddly Technomancers might be a bit easier to play if you could buy up Complex Forms more like the Adept's in a flat rate of karma per rating like you do with PP per rating on most Adept powers.
James McMurray
Ok, so ignoring the complex forms thing, what do you think would be the rules and social ramifications of someone managing to project himself to the metaplane of the matrix, or somehow learn "AR Sight" instead of "Astral Perception?"
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 10 2006, 10:05 AM)
Ok, so ignoring the complex forms thing, what do you think would be the rules and social ramifications of someone managing to project himself to the metaplane of the matrix, or somehow learn "AR Sight" instead of "Astral Perception?"

What is next, poetry? You'll find I am much harder to defeat that way than Norman was. wobble.gif wink.gif
James McMurray
I'm not exactly sure what that means. I didn't realize I was trying to "defeat" anyone, just soliciting an opinion.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I'm not exactly sure what that means. I didn't realize I was trying to "defeat" anyone, just soliciting an opinion.

What if D-O-G spelt "cat"? That is the kind of nonsensical, unanswerable question it stikes me as.
James McMurray
So then your stance is that it can't happen: why?
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 10 2006, 10:39 AM)
So then your stance is that it can't happen: why?

My stance is "WTF?", the W standing for not only "what" but also "why" and *blank stare*.

Basically the same stance I'd have if asked:

What do you think would be the rules and social ramifications of Richard Villers having in truth been a Great Dragon that is the vessle for a Horror's hidden life since before he took control of Matrix Systems, and he really, really likes hot Pop Tarts shoved down his pants?
James McMurray
Glad to see you've got an open mind about these things. smile.gif

Reasons why:

1) metaplanes are conceptual realities (theoretically)
2) the matrix is a conceptual reality
3) it is possible that the matrix is a manmade metaplane
4) initiates can project themselves into metaplanes
5) if 3 is true, then it is theoretically possible for a mage to project himself into the matrix

Possible rules ramifications:

1) would mages be able to manipulate the matrix (i.e. hack) or just visit it? In my game they wouldn't, because they're already good enough without being able to steal the thunger from the technodudes

2) Could IC or Agents attack a mage who was using his AR Sight? I'd say sure, but you wouldn't be present on the astral because you aren't projecting, so you'd be safe from attacks on that front

3) Can you put a ward on a computer and prevent a mage from entering its nodes?

Possible social ramifications:
1) antimagic groups have more to throw on the fire, because the average man won't know or won't believe it when the magical types tell them they can't use their newfound ability to Hack

2) several companies start up putting wards on computers to prevent mages from entering those nodes

3) Richard Villiers, aka Cyberzombie the Horror Dragon gets ticked off because now his plot to dominate the world by inserting agents into all the coffee makers is now in danger. And he'd have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids and their dog!

For your question: I don't know, as I don't follow SR canon history religiously, but I can think of lots of things a great dragon horror may want to do if he found himself in control of shaping how the matrix were made. For instance:

- he may want to strengthen its ties to another metaplane (the one that the horror is from) and use it to somehow open a portal for an assault force to move into Earth's reality.
- he may want to work it so that he can dowload his personality directly into the matrix, thereby becoming supreme god of all that is (or at least a facsimile thereof)
- he may want to use his power and wealth to get laid by sexy other horrors
- he may want to take the "why can't we all just get along" route and leave his hatemongering horror days behind him

As for rules ramifications, I can't really think of any, other than a verification that horrors are around and a need to stat a few up. Probably a "Horrors" sourcebook would be in order, giving new ways to create, summon, and combat them.
James McMurray
forgot reason why #6:

6) It could be fun
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 10 2006, 11:02 AM)
Reasons why:

1) metaplanes are conceptual realities (theoretically)
2) the matrix is a conceptual reality
3) it is possible that the matrix is a manmade metaplane
4) initiates can project themselves into metaplanes
5) if 3 is true, then it is theoretically possible for a mage to project himself into the matrix
6) It could be fun

You use words that can be found in Shadowrun literature but then you strip away their Shadowrun meaning and select a new meaning from the other potential meanings of those words in the English language.

I'm not a hardcore canon freak. I'm cool with flexibility in games and twisting the setting around. I'm just trying to let you know that you are asking bizzare questions and wandering so off the reservation that you'll need to provide a whole lot more context because you just tossed most of the existing context out the window.

P.S. True that it might be "fun"! Just like it might be fun to play a game where Richard Villers is a Horror-powered GD with a Pop Tart fetish (let's not bring Cyberzombies into this nyahnyah.gif). But not likely.....except maybe the Pop Tart part. smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (neko128)
Small difference, perhaps, but definitely a difference.

Yet no differences in mechanics.

QUOTE (neko128)
No, it's not that obvious, or at least not to all of us.

Unfortunatly.
Magic is mutually exclusive to Magic Resistance - Technomancy isn't.
Assensing distinguishes between Awakend and Technomancer.
James McMurray
QUOTE (blakkie)

I'm not a hardcore canon freak. I'm cool with flexibility in games and twisting the setting around. I'm just trying to let you know that you are asking bizzare questions and wandering so off the reservation that you'll need to provide a whole lot more context because you just tossed most of the existing context out the window.

P.S. True that it might be "fun"! Just like it might be fun to play a game where Richard Villers is a Horror-powered GD with a Pop Tart fetish (let's not bring Cyberzombies into this nyahnyah.gif). But not likely.....except maybe the Pop Tart part. smile.gif

You use words that can be found in Shadowrun literature but then you strip away their Shadowrun meaning and select a new meaning from the other potential meanings of those words in the English language.

How so?

you'll need to provide a whole lot more context because you just tossed most of the existing context out the window.

Like what? i.e., what questions does my question open?
blakkie
you'll need to provide a whole lot more context because you just tossed most of the existing context out the window.

Like what? i.e., what questions does my question open?

What if D-O-G spelt "cat"?
James McMurray
Well, I suppose there's only so far you can try to maintain a logical conversation with someone before they lose their mind. Nice talking to ya!

If you get some medication or something and want to try again, I'll be here.
mfb
i hate to say it, but i agree with blakkie. you're putting together this string of improbables, impossibles, and what-ifs, and then trying to explore the possible ramifiactions. the problem is, every link in your chain is variable, with its own different possible ramifications depending how exactly it works. the end result of all those possible branching ramifications is impossible to do more than speculate wildly on.

here is a mathematical representation of your question:

a+b+c+d=e
solve for e
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Well, I suppose there's only so far you can try to maintain a logical conversation with someone before they lose their mind. Nice talking to ya!

If you get some medication or something and want to try again, I'll be here.

Odd, that is exactly what I'm trying to get across. You are well beyond the reach of the sane. smile.gif The answer exists spread throughout SR in a number of books. You want I should retype and annote all this for you?

Go read.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
i hate to say it, but i agree with blakkie.

LOL, i swear i can hear your teeth grinding as you type that out. rotfl.gif

Mark on the wall indeed that we agree. wink.gif
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
LOL, i swear i can hear your teeth grinding as you type that out.

nah, no teeth grinding. i treat you the way you treat logic: most days, i pretend you don't exist.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Apr 10 2006, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
LOL, i swear i can hear your teeth grinding as you type that out.

nah, no teeth grinding. i treat you the way you treat logic: most days, i pretend you don't exist.

By "logic" you mean "mfb's own special brand of 'logic', where reading is optional"? grinbig.gif
James McMurray
a+b+c+d=e
solve for e

It's already been solved for. e = a+b+c+d (sometimes you just gotta reverse the order to make it look like you expect it to look) wink.gif

My question is more along the lines of:

1) Let's assume that a+b+c+d = e
2) What are the rules and societal implecations of e?

You want I should retype and annote all this for you?

That'd be great. But then again, I'm not looking for canon SR answers, as I already said. I'm looking for possible side effects of the discovery that the matrix is a metaplane, and the further possibilities inherent in projecting to that metaplane (or perceiving it via a different version of astral perception).

If you don't have anything to say other than "you're contradicting canon SR" then you're of very little use in this discussion. Thanks anyway though.

One question: in what book does it say that the Matrix cannot be a metaplane, and even if it were, James' ideas are silly? If you'll point me to that book I'll be more than happy to skim through it and see if it helps me any.wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 10 2006, 12:48 PM)
My question is more along the lines of:

eek.gif eek.gif

That basically is.
a+b+c+d=e
solve for e

So now SR magic AND algebra? This is getting to be a rather tall order. nyahnyah.gif

P.S. Which book? All of them. Showing a negative is a long a difficult process. Go read. [edit]Hint: You can safely skip Canon Compannion i think.[/edit]
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)

that's exactly my point. a, b, c, and d all have a variety of possible different implications depending on the details of how they work. those implications, combined, are the implications of e. e doesn't exist in a vacuum, it is the sum of a through d, and a through d are undefined. what if there were dogs on pluto? what would their society be like, without bothering with questions like "how did they get there" or "what do they breathe"?
James McMurray
If there were dogs on pluto their society would probably be much like dogs here (otherwise they wouldn't really be dogs). I assume they'd have to make some changes to account for the living conditions on pluto.

So what you're saying then is that the question opens up tons of possible repercussions, deepnding on the exact makeup of a, b, c, and d? Great! Care to list a few?

blakkie: Thanks again, but you're still not being very helpful. And as I said, I'm not really looking for canon SR here.

Let's say that all that back history didn't exist. Let's then say that someone manages to project themselves to the matrix (currently nobody knows how they do it any more than people know how technomancers do their thing).

What would happen?

I understand it's a difficult concept for you, especially given your apparent confusion when faced with something as simple as algebra, but I'd love to see you try and answer the question without throwing up the "it doesn't work that way" walls.
mfb
rescinded
James McMurray
Alternative question:

Let's say I want to introduce something that can enter the matrix, perhaps an awakened accountant monkey or soemthing similar. Now let's assume that the monkey has magical abilities (innate spells and so forth). What sorts of things would I have to look out for, and what possibilities exist for what the monkey could do while in the matrix?

Note, again, I couldn't care less if there are no matrix capable monkeys in canon SR. I also couldn't care less if there are references to monkeys and the matrix being incompatible, although I'd like to know the references, as at some point it'll have to be decided how the monkey got that way.
James McMurray
mfb: You apparently missed the "blakkie" tag. The crack was being made at blakkie, who has had no qualms about being insulting himself. The portion fo the post directed at you ended after "Care to list a few?"
mfb
okay. you've done that kind of thing before, so i've learned to expect it.

i, personally, despise the idea of otaku (yes, OTAKU!) being magical in nature. moreover, i'm not very happy with what my preciousss otaku have been turned into. so pontificating on the specific possibilities of the technomancer-as-magician concept doesn't really interest me.
James McMurray
I don't start the insults, and so far you've kept things civil. smile.gif

If it doesn't interest you, why participate in a thread about it?
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 10 2006, 01:05 PM)
blakkie: Thanks again, but you're still not being very helpful. And as I said, I'm not really looking for canon SR here.

Azalon tried to warn you. I tried to warn you. You are going to where there is noone to help. You ARE asking for canon because you are asking what in the implications to canon SR Magic, technology, and society. Canon is the context.

The "help" you seem to want, beaming a huge chunk of knowledge into your brain without you putting in the effort to read, just ain't going to happen.
James McMurray
Tried to warn me about what? Vague "the board has gone there" stuff isn't a warning, it's a Cassandra Complex waiting to happen. Heck, you didn't even supply a link, just an off the cuff comment about this being a silly path.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. By "canon" I meant historical canon, not the rules themselves. Obviously some rules interactions will be necessary.

And again, if you don't want to help (note, I'm not looking for ahuge chunk of knowledge beamed to my head, but a few posts on what might happen) then why do you bother posting in a thread about it? I think it's obvious by now that you telling me "it ain't so" has not nor will change the fact that I'm curious.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray)
And again, if you don't want to help (note, I'm not looking for ahuge chunk of knowledge beamed to my head, but a few posts on what might happen) then why do you bother posting in a thread about it?

You've been helped. You just don't like the answer and the effort you might have to expend to get all that you want, so now you are dumping on the messengers whining that you didn't get any help. That lands you squarely in the ungrateful tit catagory in my books.

THE END
James McMurray
Your "help" consisted of "we've already been there," "what if D-O-G spelled "cat?," and "go read every SR book ever written." Thanks again for your help!

FIN
Ravor
Ok, first off, let me disclaim myself by saying that I do not buy the idea the idea that the Matrix is a Metaplane or that Technos are Mages, ect...

But, assuming for a moment that the next Manaspike causes the matrix to ascend into a True Metaplane, then I think the following Insanities would follow.

(1) Astral Space would get much, much more cluttered, as Wireless Transmissions, ect gained Astral Sigs much like spells.

(2) Magic becomes more difficult, as strong wireless fields equates into background counts.

(3) Technomacers and Mages would cease to exist, instead becoming Techo-Mages.

(4) The Matrix would no longer be safe or perhaps not even usable at all by Mundanes.

(5a) Magic now becomes possible in Space, as Wireless Tranmissions becomes the new 'Mana Field' instead of the Giasphere.

OR

(5b) Wireless Transmissions and computers start to break up and become useless outside the Giasphere.
James McMurray
The Matrix wouldn't be astral space, so anything happening in it shouldn't affect astral space any more than whatever strange occurrences happen in the other metpalanes make magic harder. Perhaps some leakage could occur in particularly strong (or weak) spots. Maybe every time the Azzies drop some major blood magic their network goes down. smile.gif

"Hey! You got your power bolt in my IC!"

"You got your IC in my power bolt!"
Ravor
I disagree, because even as a Metaplane the Matrix is still being generated by devices that exist on the Physical Plane, and we know that bleed-through does exist between the Physical and the Astral, so I believe that special rules would apply in this case. *winks*
James McMurray
True. Thanks for the food for thought and the lack of pointless flames! smile.gif
PH3NOmenon
QUOTE (Ravor)
But, assuming for a moment that the next Manaspike causes the matrix to ascend into a True Metaplane, then I think the following Insanities would follow.
<snip>

What about a few insanities that are "positives" rather than negatives?

Say the matrix becomes a metaplane? Who's to say that the Technomancers won't be able to produce physical effects with programs? "Magic" as we now know it could exit stage left and be assimilated by the Techies.

The Astral and The Matrix would be one and the same place, and you could load up your flamethrower program to roast the corp secs while disarming a data bomb on the paydata! wobble.gif

The software industry would be booming i reckon, there's big nuyen.gif to be made in selling manabolt (techbolt?) programs.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif wink.gif
Kremlin KOA
Bending the matrix to my will
James McMurray
So you're saying that if the matrix were a metaplane somehow Russian kampgrounds in America would take over? smile.gif
Kremlin KOA
oh good UT weenies getting 'magic' powers
"Stop CAMPING my BEDROOM!"
hyzmarca
My god! I get it now. It has been staring me in the face ever since SR4 came out but I just got it.

Neo is a technomancer!! That is how he was able to see stop the machines with his mind and how he was able to see them even when he was blind. It all makes perfect since now.

Thank you, Fanpro. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I understand now.

James McMurray
Do not try to hack the drone, simply realize that there is no drone.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Waltermandias @ Apr 6 2006, 04:49 PM)
I think it will really depend on whether the game is going more in the direction of having magic and technology merge, which I personally think is what is going on.  Things like Cybermancy and Technomancers (not to mention the "spirit-nuke" from Bug City) look, to me, like the first steps of magic and tech truely becoming one.  As such, these themes feature into games I run.  Obviously it is still very much up in the air, and I think going in either direction is equally valid.

This got me thinking: For much of the history of the Fifth World, "magic" and "science" were seen as the same thing. It wasn't until the Scientific Revolution that the two paths began to diverge, and rules based on observation and experimentation began to be seen as different from beliefs based on traditional lore and intuition. What if the paths of magic and science are curving back towards each other in the Sixth World? I'm not saying it's necessarily so, but it's an interesting idea to ponder.

EDIT: And once again, I shall quote SR4:
Was [the otaku phenomenon] a new stage in metahuman evolution?  Signs of a sinister meddling in the brains of children by artificial intelligences? Or was it a subconscious mystical Awakening brought about by so many metahuman minds interacting with an artificial reality?
--SR4, p. 232
The fact that the 'Awakened otaku' theory is the last one mentioned seems very telling to me. . . .
Witness
I can't help but notice that everybody seems to think they understand the realm of magic, and they accept (without question) theories such as the Gaeacentric view of the manasphere and the Mayan Long Count / Ebb-and-flow-of-mana interpretation of the cycle of magic.
Surely the Matrix and its rules are something rather more concrete. Yet in this discussion (which personally I enjoy when it gets constructive), people would rather make the Matrix conform to their theories of magic than the other way around.
I blame Niels Bohr. wink.gif
hyzmarca
That's because to anyone who knows the slightest thing about computers or computer networking "it's magic" has always been the only explination for the matrix that makes even the tinniest bit of sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012