Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dog Days
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Lindt
Hey, it could have been worse. He could have harvested the dead animal for its ware. THAT would have been disturbing.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Apr 17 2006, 09:14 PM)

And while you're taking further advantage of an animal that has spent its whole life being exploited, why not just walk up to a little old lady and punch her in the face?  Just for kicks.  One sock to the jaw and she'll go down like a sack of potatoes, and that's when you start kicking her in the ribs.  Don't be afraid to body-slam her a couple of times, too: old people bones make a very satisfying crunching sound when they break.

BWAH HWAH HWAH HWAH HWAH!

Did you *intentionally* word that in the way designed to be the most funny-sounding way possible?

I think if you wanted to make that sound like a bad thing you could have at least made it sound Stephen King icky when describing it. But the way you describe it here it reads like a cartoon of a Mexican luchadore assaulting some Republican old lady who hates immigrants or something.

You're exactly right: I was going for what is known as "black humor," and I'm especially proud of the "old people bones" line. biggrin.gif
emo samurai
The ending just seemed very "OMG SR HAS TO BE STREET LEVEL DURRRR!!!"
I mean, yes, you got that across with the cancerous dog that had blood in its pee and the shelter employees who shot them in the head instead of euthanizing them. Chester surviving would have been the perfect ending to the story, with the main character having a rational reason to be able to rise above the horror that surrounds him. But he had to Rebar the dog in the eye, just because it would be shocking and sad.
Kremlin KOA
oh come on

seriously people
The GM would have laid a serious smackdown on the runner had he tried to keep the dog, as that would be powergaming.

The end wasn't crap writing, it was metagaming.
ShadowDragon8685
Kremlin wins the thread.
Kremlin KOA
*dances the cabbage patch*
James McMurray
It isn't powergaming to reach for resources the GM puts in your grasp. If it isn't something they should have, the runners should never get near it.
Kremlin KOA
but if ya know the GM will punnish you for taking it...
Kagetenshi
Then you get a new GM, because this one is clearly broken.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Nah, not broken. Nor defective.

Broken implies that it did at one time work, and no longer does.
Defective implies that it would in theory work, but this one was @*%^@ed at the factory.

No, I'd call this one faulty, as in "design flaws".
Kremlin KOA
hehehehe

sadly though, far too many GMs end up using anything the PCs take or any 'loot' as an excuse for a plot device that screws the players over
James McMurray
Most games need plot devices or things don't happen.
Kremlin KOA
yes but what percentage of plot devices should include "Player characher X gets fragged on and loses everything"

not sure what you consider the right number

But I feel the most wrong number is 100%
James McMurray
100% is almost assuredly the wrong number (unless the player likes it). 0% is also probably the wrong number.
Kremlin KOA
true
emo samurai
They have to have a reason for their ability to track him down, though. They can't just be "LOL OMG YOU JUST STOLE A GUN YOU'RE MARKED FOR LIFE HURRR!" RFID tags should be easy to block. Spirits need to be relatively close for search to work; remember that each kilometer adds 1 to the threshold.
John Campbell
QUOTE (FanGirl)
You hit the nail on the head! ^_^

I thought it was the old woman I hit on the head.
Wireknight
Maybe he had another reason for killing the dog.
emo samurai
Stick is Timothy Roberts? Well, they do share a lack of computer skills...

And holy shit. nuyen.gif 2 for public toilets?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (SL James)
But at least I'm not harping on the writing like someone I showed this to, who read this line
Mr. Johnson dexterously pulls a hologram out from the inner pocket of his jacket.

and was asking exactly how one "dexterously" pulls something out of one's pocket.

With their right hand. wink.gif

You should have specified that in the story.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The brutal deaths of the KE officers in the end provide this kind of cathartic release even though thye occur offscreen as it were. The KE officers are one deminsional "bad guys" and we can be happy to see them die.

HAHAHA

So much for the webfiction submission guidelines

QUOTE (Web Fiction Submission Guidelines)
DON'T ...

• Make antagonists into brainless, soulless cannon-fodder. They are people with lives, families, needs and fears. They may also have training, experience and budgets that equip them with the latest gear. In other words, they are not always a monolithic force, but they may not always be easily manipulated or mowed down, either.

Heh, Fan-Pro-owned!
emo samurai
Heh, Fan-Pro-owned!

Huh?
Kagetenshi
It flows better if you just say Fanpr0wned!

Alternately, Fanpwned could work, though I think that one should be saved for the times when the fans have a better grasp of rules interactions than the writers.

~J
Kanada Ten
Nice short story if a bit light on logic. Some clever discriptions and good contact examples.
Club
just before the KE show up, Sticks has for some reason decided to keep the dog. In his mind, it is HIS dog now. After Chester tears apart two people, it's not his dog, it's his monster.

All right, it's a bit of a stretch, but it does seem to hold together
Piecemeal
is a cyberpets brain completely rewired? (yeah never been something i've really read up on...)

i would just like to be satisfied knowing why Hutchison's death -in full view of Chester the Maul-ester- didnt garner our story's hero the new monicker of "Kindling"?...

as for the abrupt end..
"woof. hi, i'm your new best fr" *SPLORT*

rrawww rhat rucks.

killing Chester in cold blood... meh, its obviously not out of the scope of the character, having just previously slain Hutchison w/o significant provocation. having stated early on the need for a monatary influx, making his way back to Soon's suggests -to me- he's about to bodylaunder the uberpooch by one means or another.

i dunno.. as readers we are less left hanging and more subjected to a .50cal "Fin" to the head.
Kagetenshi
*Splutter* You really think he didn't have significant provocation for killing Hutchison?

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It flows better if you just say Fanpr0wned!

Alternately, Fanpwned could work, though I think that one should be saved for the times when the fans have a better grasp of rules interactions than the writers.

~J

Thank you for teaching me, sensei. I will remember this.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
*Splutter* You really think he didn't have significant provocation for killing Hutchison?

~J

I'm with him on this one. The guy had pretty good provocation for killing Hutchison. Not bothering to pay up and then gloating that he called the cops on the runner. For not wanting to pay up, that might not be warranted for outright killing, though I can see the runner being justified to take a pound of flesh out of the guy for not coughing up the cash. The mission stipulation was primarily recovering the pooch. That Mr. Hutchinson decides to escalate things from the situation AND inform the runner outright in his face, that's not really smart.
Piecemeal

no. i didnt. *I* would have reacted differently and i'm not one of the Less-Than-Lethal lobbyists.

if i were of the mind to kill him, how about this for a twist? sic Chester on him. sounds like fitting irony.

only... the point of my original post was to question the cybrid (yes, cy-bred. cyborg + hybrid, you get the idea...) canine's loyalty to Hutchison in the first place.
Kagetenshi
Your original point is a good one, and stands. Nevertheless… he refused to pay (remember, these are Shadowrunners here, there's only one method of conflict resolution if the other party doesn't want to play ball) and called the cops. He's meat on either count from the point of view of any reasonable Shadowrunner, IMO.

~J
James McMurray
Oh yeah. Refusal to pay and a backstabbing together means he should feel lucky to have been killed. There are much worse ways to make a lesson out of someone.
Taran
"You'll have to forgive my friend. She's an assassin, and has a very narrow view of conflict resolution." - Tanya Huff, The Fifth Quarter

I think there are probably a few cases where it's possible to stiff the team and not deserve death (a cataclysmic fall from grace that costs you your Johnson job and your house, so you can't requisition funds and can't pay out-of-pocket, maybe). But bragging that you've called the police?

"That wasn't murder, that was suicide." - Terry Pratcht, Lois McMaster Bujold, various others
Backgammon
Well, I kinda liked the story. For once it was actually really dark and properly violent. The runner clearly wasn't exactly high-caliber, so i think it's believable he forgot about the RFID chip.

Sure, there are plot holes. Pretty big ones. Mostly the murdering of 4 people without any apparent repercussions, but that that doesn't mean the story if god-awful. At least not to me, I guess. The atmosphere was good. Gives out the proper feeling of just how depraved the SR world is.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Piecemeal)
is a cyberpets brain completely rewired? (yeah never been something i've really read up on...)

i would just like to be satisfied knowing why Hutchison's death -in full view of Chester the Maul-ester- didnt garner our story's hero the new monicker of "Kindling"?...

That occurred to me, too, but I decided after some consideration that the Johnson may have been the dog's owner, but there was certainly no emotional attachment from his side, so he may not have really been in contact with the dog enough for it to bond to him. On the other hand, the runner just saved the dog from a rather uncomfortable spot, which probably garnered him some gratitude points.
Piecemeal
yeah.. true. thank you for pointing this out to me. i did mistake Hutchison's rant towards Sticks soley as an emotional attachment to the dog... i didnt look at it as a loss of future breeding profit for the J. too busy looking at other angles to see the obvious. man, negative karma for me.
Shadow
Awesome.

First AH, congrats on getting some fiction published, I thought it was great. interestingly you can really tell that you found the character as you got more into the story. By the end I am wanting more of Sticks. So I hope you write him some more.

I have always felt that exact proper grammar is second to flow and pacing. You had excellent feel of both. If some complain about your use of grammar I would ignore them.

I felt you really got the feel for Shadowrun down. Regardless of edition. I hope to see more of the hard hitting detective! Best of all, you have inspired me to write some more!!!!

-Shadow
Kagetenshi
Proper grammar is imperative to flow and pacing. Improper grammar creates a hitch that trips the reader up briefly, destroying both of those qualities.

~J
Shadow
Yes and no. Many established authors often break the rules of "proper" grammar to make a character feel more alive. After all, we do not talk with proper grammar. I am not saying you can ignore it, or not know it. Just that you shouldn't get hung on one line that may or may not fit someone’s idea of proper grammar.

I know you write extensively so I am sure you know what I mean. The failure has been on my part to communicate the idea properly.
SL James
Stop trying to make sense and expect any type of writing quality approaching mediocre, Kage. It's embarassing.
Shadow
Was that really necessary? AH is at least trying to be a writer. He probably put in a hundred hours on this story. I understand if you don't like it, but to just insult it like that... well what the hell have you written and had published?

At least grant him the margin of respect that all of us (writers and aspiring writers) deserve for at least trying.
John Campbell
Proper grammar is imperative to storytelling. However, especially in the case of first-person narratives, "proper" seldom means "by the book correct".
SL James
You've got to be kidding.

I've spent thousands of man hours so far this year writing fiction. I've spent less than 20 writing a 5,000 word submission for Fanpro that I will now never submit because I don't want it to be associated in any fucking way with the crap that AH wrote.

Have I been published? Not for fiction. So fucking what? Just because one of his fellow DS buddies slaps his shit on the SR website doesn't make it worth reading.
Kagetenshi
Maybe my standards have been lowered by the fiction in SR4, but I don't think it was that bad. Could use work, but not brain-gouging.

~J
SL James
Yes, it is brain-gouging. It's one of the few things that I wish I could unread, and I've read sex story newsgroups.

I mean, it's worse than Szeto's horrendous depiction of rigging in Red Eye.
Ophis
Man would you lay off. So you don't like it. If you want better quality fiction and yours is better, fucking submit it. It's not like your is called Dog Days 2 or anything? Do Phantom Menace et al ruin how good the original triolgy was (in a dumb space opera way). Stop bitching and show how good you are.

Plus there have been by Gmt 2737 hours this years, I'm shure you write alot but judgeing by your posts, and the fact i think you eat, and probably work too, thousands of hours seems unlikely. Sorry for the pedantry but you deserve it.

The story is to my mind well written but has a poor finish, it just seemed weak. Just to cover my opinion on it.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (SL James)
Red Eye.

I had forgotten, then you had to go and bring back the trauma…

~J
hyzmarca
As much as I dislike the ending, the story as a whole wasn't bad. It certainly couldn't be compared to Red Eye. And at least Chester didn't shoot first.
emo samurai
I thought it was a great story, except for the "kill the doggie it's dangerous" ending. The random contacts and people to talk to were great, and the main character had the kind of random knowledge about survival learned from random buddies that seems completely plausible. He saw all the degradation of the streets for what it was, and had a properly jaded attitude towards it. I just don't get why he had to kill Chester.
Shadow
QUOTE (SL James)
You've got to be kidding.

I've spent thousands of man hours so far this year writing fiction. I've spent less than 20 writing a 5,000 word submission for Fanpro that I will now never submit because I don't want it to be associated in any fucking way with the crap that AH wrote.

Have I been published? Not for fiction. So fucking what? Just because one of his fellow DS buddies slaps his shit on the SR website doesn't make it worth reading.

Whatever man, I'm sorry you haven't gotten anything published yet, thats no reason to take it out on someone who has. And I don't think AH just wrote it and had his 'buddies' throw it up on the website. My understanding is that they have had a complete lack of quality submissions.

So if you can do better, bring it on.
Ancient History
Peace be to journey, children. Everyone is welcome to their own opinions on the piece, just as everyone is welcome to their own opinions on everything. I don't mind the criticism because I am due some and it helps me know what issues I need to address in my writing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012