Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why do you Shadowrun?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
SL James
QUOTE (blakkie)
It would be a fake. Ms. Schmit, later Mrs. Harley, was a fairly competent teacher. And more a rye & coke drinker. nyahnyah.gif I had a few wingnuts teachers, but most were ok. If only a bit short on the uptake.

*cues the CD up to "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp"*
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (emo samurai)
You also suck at math. 790 math, 740 verbal. Apparently this means my english is 73|-| su><><orZ. Which is why I fall back on 1337 every so often to convey my stronger emotions.

I heard that most people do better on math than on verbal. I don't know if it's true or not but that always puzzled me. I mean, wasn't it Barbie who once said, "Math is tough"?
emo samurai
Not SAT math. They go up to Freshman Geometry level, and then they stop. No integrals, theorems, or standard deviations.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 4 2006, 12:32 AM)
It would be a fake. Ms. Schmit, later Mrs. Harley, was a fairly competent teacher. And more a rye & coke drinker. nyahnyah.gif  I had a few wingnuts teachers, but most were ok. If only a bit short on the uptake.

*cues the CD up to "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp"*

Wordz ta yer mutha.

Speaking of which can you tell her to buy a new set of fishnets, blakkie don't pimp just any old ratty trash on the street corner. Gots me a quality image to maintain. cool.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Not SAT math. They go up to Freshman Geometry level, and then they stop. No integrals, theorems, or standard deviations.

True. Damn, you just woke up traumatic memories of calculus class for me. I took a calculus class in high school and one as an undergrad and I really struggled through both. My math-fu is indeed weak, which is probably why I only scored 710.

On the other hand I can probably say with satisfaction that the vast majority of people on the planet don't study calculus. Therefore, just because I passed a couple of calculus classes I probably know more about t3h math than most people. Uh, even if I already forgot all my calculus already.

emo samurai
Dude, I blazed through AB calc and Calculus II. I should have taken BC in high school.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Dude, I blazed through AB calc and Calculus II. I should have taken BC in high school.

Yeah, well, I went to a snotty high school so, uh, my calculus class was harder. So there.
emo samurai
So did I. It was a boarding school for rich kids. I got a 5 on the AP test without studying. nyahnyah.gif

As if people here didn't hate me enough. frown.gif
Platinum
Big deal man, there are plenty of us that are mensa material and don't spend all our time bragging about it.

I have met several extremely "gifted" individuals that barely had enough life skills to survive. You might be book smart but I am not seeing strong evidence of you being able to apply that to the real world.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Platinum)
I have met several extremely "gifted" individuals that barely had enough life skills to survive.

Did someone call?

~J
James McMurray
You missed where he said it was a boarding school for rich kids. That means his grades were bought and paid for, making a correlation between them and actual intelligence (or even book smarts) hard to derive. wink.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Did someone call?

No, that was just your banana phone ringing. Or maybe it was my shoe phone.
emo samurai
Dude, AP test 5. I don't think the administrators can manipulate that. And this whole thing started because Wounded Ronin pretended to get offended, so don't be a dick about this.

Platinum, I label you my new Critias to my... well, me. Have fun being a forum vulture.
Platinum
blah ... witty comment removed. Not feeding trolls anymore.
emo samurai
Hopefully, you drop the hobby the way your predecessor did.
caramel frappuccino
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Platinum, I label you my new Critias to my... well, me. Have fun being a forum vulture.

Did you just call yourself a forum dead piece of meat?

I titter at you.
emo samurai
Yeah, vulture seems too baroque. How about boar. A boar with ticks on it. (Those would be you.)

Which would make me the Green Knight!!
caramel frappuccino
Somehow I see you as more of a Black Knight, flailing about sans limbs.
emo samurai
This is getting tiresome. I could say "And you're the tool who got a sword through the face before Arthur came," but seriously, I need to work.
caramel frappuccino
Why you gotta be hatin' like that, Melissa Jo?
James McMurray
I'm sorry, I didn't reakluize that it was ok for you to make jokes about the source of your education, but not me. smile.gif

Grades and test scores mean absolutely nothing in the real world past having them on your resume. And after X amount of years in a profession they don't mean anything there either. Even the much valued IQ test means practically little outside of the small field of things it tests. Show me results in real life and I'll be impressed.

The above was not directed at emo to say "you aren't smart" but at anyone who thinks scoring well on a test means anything beyond a demonstration of a person's ability to score well on a test. I've known people (myself included) who score excellently on tests, especially the standardized ones. Some were actually smart people, some were dumb but with good short term memories, and some just knew how to take tests well.
FanGirl
I would just like to apologize to anyone who was weirded out by my "cognitive ovaries" comment. It's just that WR's comment about testicles implied that I was dumb because I was a girl, and I felt obligated to defend my feminine honor and all that stuff.

I agree with you about testing as a measure of intelligence: I adhere to Gardner's Theory of multiple intelligences because it makes sense given my own abilities. I have scads of linguistic intelligence, but my mathematical and interpersonal intelligences are definitely subpar. I'm probably about average in most of the others, but I'm certain that when it comes to kinesthetics, I'm a downright retard. biggrin.gif

I don't think that that's stopped members of my extended family from viewing me as an all-around genius, though. For example, my cousin once remarked to me that I'm "gonna cure cancer or something," even though I barely know a carcinogen from a pathogen. I've kinda resented being labeled as "the smart one" in the family because I want people to take a fuller view of me and my personality. There was a time when, whenever a family member would comment on what a genius I was, I would snap, "I'm not smart--I'm merely the product of a superior educational system!*" But then the grownups would just laugh at me, so I eventually stopped.

*I spent most of my life going to a snotty and secular private day school, the kind of place where children between ages 3 and 18 are sent to be groomed into philosopher-kings. For example, the high school has neither a cheerleading squad nor a football team: all the cool kids do Model UN.
emo samurai
I don't like to nip at people who don't hate me; sorry, James.
mfb
congnitive ovaries can't be any worse than journalistic ovaries.
emo samurai
FanGirl, I also don't think you were being targeted by all the hatred and stuff; it was just general "swarm emo samurai kekekeke" bullshit.
James McMurray
Heh heh. Nip away. It just ups my feistiness factor in the other threads I'm debating in. smile.gif

I personally think that one of the most attractive parts of a woman are her cognitive ovaries. The ability to conceive, gestate, and give birth to thought is a necessity for any date that wants to go beyond the "get drunk and do the horizontal Lambada" stage.

Not that there's anything wrong with drunken debauchery of course. If it weren't for that I'd have stayed inside playing games all through college. smile.gif
emo samurai
Happy fun James is back!!!
James McMurray
I just shaved. In some ways my morale is inversely proportional to the amount of whiskers on my face, changing to exponentially proportional when they reach the length that they start to itch.

I was a total bastard for my entire goatee-wearing sophomore year. smile.gif
emo samurai
Dude, I got an idea! We should singe your face so that it doesn't grow back!! Then you'll always be happy!
caramel frappuccino
QUOTE (FanGirl)
I've kinda resented being labeled as "the smart one" in the family because I want people to take a fuller view of me and my personality.  There was a time when, whenever a family member would comment on what a genius I was, I would snap, "I'm not smart--I'm merely the product of a superior educational system!*"  But then the grownups would just laugh at me, so I eventually stopped.

Enough beatings applied with a baseball bat corrects all undesired misconceptions.
emo samurai
If you knew her in real life, you could not say that without laughing. She couldn't hit a puppy, much less a pigheaded relative. Oh wait, she could and probably should.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Heh heh. Nip away. It just ups my feistiness factor in the other threads I'm debating in. smile.gif

I personally think that one of the most attractive parts of a woman are her cognitive ovaries. The ability to conceive, gestate, and give birth to thought is a necessity for any date that wants to go beyond the "get drunk and do the horizontal Lambada" stage.

Not that there's anything wrong with drunken debauchery of course. If it weren't for that I'd have stayed inside playing games all through college. smile.gif

Disses Emo and Hits on Fangirl all in one post

Multitasking

Now if I can work out a way to defend Emo and ask for Fangirl's MSN in a single Post I can go for the Title of the AntiJames
FanGirl
I don't have MSN, so that title is technically unattainable. . .
Better use your Edge. nyahnyah.gif
emo samurai
Jesus Christ, are you passive agressive, James? I didn't even see that side of the post until Kremlin pointed it out!

Then again, it's possible it's just the internet. The internet NEVER creates misunderstandings.
eralston
You know, my one regret about the internet is that vendettas cannot be pursued in flashy sword fights with orchestral accompaniment

No...no...boring words
Kremlin KOA
Well given my edge stat.... nah even then betteroff going for something possible

AIM? Yahoo? email? which of these should i try to get to become the AntiJames?
eidolon
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I just shaved. In some ways my morale is inversely proportional to the amount of whiskers on my face, changing to exponentially proportional when they reach the length that they start to itch.

I was a total bastard for my entire goatee-wearing sophomore year. smile.gif

Odd, I seem to suffer the opposite condition. biggrin.gif

I get more angry the more days in a row that I have to shave. Not only that, but I was buying blades two days ago, and it hit me (AGAIN...I have this revelation a lot) that I was PAYING fifteen freaking dollars every month or so to do something that I not only despise doing, but that actually causes me a good deal of discomfort. All I can think when I buy razors is "How fucking stupid is this?".

Ah. Eight more weeks, and I can "legally" have facial hair again.
Kremlin KOA
legally have facial hair? care to explain that one?
Kagetenshi
I suspect it has something to do with school regulations, given the timeframe (though late June seems… well, late to be getting out).

Either that or maybe he's in the military and is getting out soon?

~J
James McMurray
I'm rereading that post and wondering how it is I dissed emo by telling him it's ok to pick at me?

I also wasn't hitting on FanGirl, just making a general statement about my views on the attractiveness of women. Not that I wouldn't hit on her of course. wink.gif

And yeah, sometimes I can be passive aggressive. Other times I'm an ass. It all depends on the mood. smile.gif
emo samurai
The Internet is, after all, a perfect communication medium. Especially when there's no tone to read.
FanGirl
If I were you, Kremlin, I'd try and get my AIM name. Make a Charisma + Negotiation test.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (FanGirl)

*I spent most of my life going to a snotty and secular private day school, the kind of place where children between ages 3 and 18 are sent to be groomed into philosopher-kings. For example, the high school has neither a cheerleading squad nor a football team: all the cool kids do Model UN.

Heey! I played Model UN all the way from middle school through undergrad! Are you saying I'm a philosopher king....uh, I mean...you *are* saying I'm a philosopher king!

I got a 5 on AP French. So ha!
eidolon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

[announcer voice]That is correct! Johnny, tell him what he's won.[/voice]

Indeed. I have about 8 weeks left. I am the winner, the power is mine, go go gadget facial hair growth.

It's been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong six years.

Oh, and I used "legal" because it seemed better than "within regs". smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 7 2006, 01:35 PM)

[announcer voice]That is correct! Johnny, tell him what he's won.[/voice]

Indeed. I have about 8 weeks left. I am the winner, the power is mine, go go gadget facial hair growth.

It's been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong six years.

Oh, and I used "legal" because it seemed better than "within regs". smile.gif

Sweet! You can be the official DSF dual-wielding M249s consultant.

Q: So it says in the rules I can dual wield pistols can I dual wield LMGs can I can I can I it would be so cool I have this katana trenchcoat vampire PC lol lol lol.

A: No.
eidolon
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Sweet! You can be the official DSF dual-wielding M249s consultant.

Actually, if you had slings on both of them, and ammo drums instead of belts...

You might not hit much, but you could put some lead in the air. biggrin.gif
emo samurai
So anyway, how does everyone structure their roleplaying sessions? Do you have "Do job, go home," or "Do job, have players talk after job," or what? After my first run, the characters all visited a bar and talked about themselves.

In other words, how much do you RP, and what do you RP?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (emo samurai)
So anyway, how does everyone structure their roleplaying sessions? Do you have "Do job, go home," or "Do job, have players talk after job," or what? After my first run, the characters all visited a bar and talked about themselves.

In other words, how much do you RP, and what do you RP?

Hmm. IIRC usually after a run everyone would go and hide out at someone's High Lifestyle and usually annoy that person with their idocyncracies.
emo samurai
That'll probably happen to my dude.

"Don't... eat all the... goddammit."

"No, you can not pelt my landlord's house with paint grenades."

"Stop hacking people's cars and running them into each other on my lawn!"
FanGirl
I really want the chance to RP "downtime"--the times when I'm not actively running. This is a great article about roleplaying downtime. Anyway, I'm definitely going to try and do stuff with my team as we get to know each other better, like treat them to ice cream after a successful run. Why ice cream? Sometimes spending your free time in a bar can get old, especially when drinking, gambling, drinking, fighting, drinking, and drinking is not especially interesting to you. You need something wholesome and simple to balance out all that grit, and what could be more wholesome than ice cream?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012