Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why do you Shadowrun?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
hyzmarca
Proper education.
Oracle
No. Much fewer guns in private households. Which is possibly a result of proper education. wink.gif
mfb
heh, cute. i think it's simply cultural. americans view guns as a way to solve problems, because they have been accepted as such pretty much since the country got started. other places, it's not like that.
Oracle
I see it the same way.
hyzmarca
Violence is a way to solve problems. It is often the best solution. Guns are simply a tool with which one can commit violence at range. However, it is just as easy to beat someone to death with a solid bronze bust of Golda Meir.

It is a problem that people don't observe basicly safety rules with firearms because there is a serious lack of education about them in some places. There is certainly a corelation between safety training and reduced risk of firearms accidents. By the same token there are countless heavy blunt object accidents because people aren't properly trained to deal with heavy blunt objects. No one ever talks about the children who are crushed to death by solid bronze busts of Golda Meir because heavy bronze busts are not such a controversial issue.
Oracle
Purpose of a gun: Killing people.
Purpose of a bronze bust of Golda Meir: Showing ones reverence for Golda Meir.

I see a difference.
mfb
like hyzmarca said--bronze busts are not as controversial an issue. for instance, i would disagree with your statement that the purpose of guns is to kill people. that's simply their most controversial application. and even given that their purpose is to kill people, that's not necessarily the reason why someone would buy a gun. ask Raygun how many of his guns he's purchased in order to kill someone, or even with self-defense in mind.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb)
heh, cute. i think it's simply cultural. americans view guns as a way to solve problems, because they have been accepted as such pretty much since the country got started.

Especially what with the whole country-starting thing having been solved by them.

And the French, but for some reason people don't like to talk about that anymore… (no more France control!)

You're correct that the purpose of guns is not to kill people. However, it is to kill things—animals of various sorts, including people. That is the only purpose. You can use them for other things, certainly, but that's not what they were made to do.

~J
Oracle
I think in most cases hunting weapons can be clearly distinguished from others.
mfb
haha! that's what the Democrats said in 1994. they were quite incorrect.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
And the French, but for some reason people don't like to talk about that anymore… (no more France control!)

Let's not forget that pretty much every family in Switzerland has a gun, and we all know what a hotbed of violence and lawlessness that country is.
James McMurray
My kids have an understanding about the danger inherent in all tools of violence, from fists to guns(I haven't discussed Golda Meir busts, but hopefully that falls under the purview of "don't hit your sister"). I prefer a two-pronged approach: educate and isolate. If one of my kids does find a gun at a friend's house, the education should hopefully stop him from shooting himself. Not having one in my house prevents my kids' friends from finding one and shooting themselves because they're uneducated.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 9 2006, 07:36 AM)
You're correct that the purpose of guns is not to kill people. However, it is to kill things—animals of various sorts, including people. That is the only purpose.

~J

Target shooting is a recognized olympic sport and there are plenty of firearms that are made specificly for competetive shooting.
SL James
Target shooting = killing paper targets.

nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
The discovery that things can be used for something other than their purpose is not a new one.

~J
mfb
well, technically, the purpose of a gun is to propel a bullet through the air. this happens to be a handily effective way of killing things. people buy and design guns for several end purposes, and i think it's important to note those purposes rather than making blanket statements based on the purported basic purpose of all guns--which is what will happen.
Kagetenshi
No, that is the method of operation of a gun. Likewise, a sword's purpose is not to have a moderately sharp edge—its purpose is also to kill things. The sharp edge is, much like the propelled bullet, the means to that end.

You can do all sorts of other things with that means, but that doesn't change the purpose.

(Though I do understand what you're saying, and I do think that it's important that it be understood that "killing things" is an acceptable purpose, I believe it's very important that we not lose sight of that purpose.)

~J
mfb
except that, in the event, the statement is incorrect. a target pistol is not designed to kill things; it is very much designed for the express purpose of putting holes in paper targets. the purpose of a flaregun is to attract attention. what's the point of keeping in mind that "the purpose of guns is to kill things" if you're buying an antique black powder musket?
Kagetenshi
I'll carry on this discussion tomorrow. I think I had too much coffee today or something.

~J
mfb
heh. i've gotten maybe 6 hrs of sleep in the past 48; acquired a 2-litre of Mt Dew after not drinking soda for maybe a month straight.

anyway. the thing that worries me about statements like "the purpose of guns is to kill things" is that those sorts of statements lead to extreme viewpoints. "killing things is bad, therefore guns must be bad, therefore we should get rid of them." any upside to that statement--gun safety's the only upside that comes to mind--isn't, to me, worth the hassle and the stupidery of people who take the statement to its extremes.
James McMurray
Without killing things the human race would have died out long ago. Killing things, in the proper circumstances, is a necessity.
mfb
not to mention fun!
Calvin Hobbes
Out of curiosity, what credentials does everyone who's making these broad, sweeping comments about our anthropological history have? Because some of these comments sound kind of... unresearched?
James McMurray
I have no credentials whatsoever, but I think it's safe to say that if the first cave men hadn't killed predators and prey they wouldn't have lived long. smile.gif
Laser
QUOTE (Calvin Hobbes @ May 9 2006, 05:38 PM)
Out of curiosity, what credentials does everyone who's making these broad, sweeping comments about our anthropological history have? Because some of these comments sound kind of... unresearched?

shh... you've exposed one of the dark secrets of the internet. Look out, the Illiterati watches for that kind of thing and brutally represses it, lest the teeming masses find out the truth: no one on the internet actually knows anything wink.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Oracle)
I think in most cases hunting weapons can be clearly distinguished from others.

Um...have you ever actually gone out and practiced with a variety of firearms? I don't really understand why you think that is so.
nezumi
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I have no credentials whatsoever, but I think it's safe to say that if the first cave men hadn't killed predators and prey they wouldn't have lived long. smile.gif

It's interesting to note that back in prehistory, I believe around the time of australopithecus, there were two 'missing link' type species. One was fairly peaceful and herbivorous. They liked bunnies and puppies and lived in perfect harmony with nature. The other was omnivorous and dedicated a large amount of time and attention to bashing in the skulls of the local fauna (including each other), sometimes with the intent of eating the contents.

One of these species survived and evolved into humans. The other did not. Can you guess which is which?
Wounded Ronin
OK, the firearms discussion on this thread reminded me of something.

The firearms customization rules in CC were silly. Specifically, the "remove safety" thingie made utterly no sense.

Along with other things. But that one sticks in my mind.

That is all.
James McMurray
QUOTE (nezumi)
One of these species survived and evolved into humans. The other did not. Can you guess which is which?

Given that I have canine teeth in my mouth, I'm guessing I was designed as an omnivore. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012