Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playing a member of the AARP?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
PeanutGallery
Has anyone played a member of the AARP, you know with like a walker or one of those rascals? That would be kinda cool...

[Topic Title edited by Adam for clarity. Please use descriptive subject titles in the future -- thanks.]
Kagetenshi
…a thread without an informative title? No, I try not to play those.

(If someone needs to read the thread, even the first post of it, to know what it's about, that's a bad thing.)

~J
stevebugge
QUOTE (PeanutGallery)
Has anyone played a member of the AARP, you know with like a walker or one of those rascals? That would be kinda cool...

Ok I have to admit I find the visual of an Octogenarian Technomancer operating out of a retirement home amusing. Maybe it will turn up as an NPC in one of my games.
Taran
Yeah, it'd pretty much have to be a rigger or a stay-at-home decker. Shadowruns tend to be punctuated by unexpected bursts of athleticism, which pretty much lets out your average grandmother type.
bustedkarma
think a Senior Citizen could make for a really fun Johnson or Fixer.

Imagine your meet being at a Bingohall, or even at a retirement home.
Play him as kind of an edgy Granfather type, smoking, and smacking nurses on the ass. Mildly senile, weak bladder, and mean as a snake.

Quotes....

"Back in '54, we didn't have all your fancy Augmented Reality and Commie Links. If a man wanted to hack somebody in my day, he had to use a MACHETE!"

"Docwagon my ass. When a fella got shot when I was runnin, we used to just rub some dirt on it. Slap Patchs, let me tell you about Slap Patches. We kept em around for women and small animals. Real men just walked off a chest wound when I was your age."

"You there, the one with the face pierced. What do your parents think of that? Pass me those heart pills"

"Wanna see pictures of my Grandkids"
Wounded Ronin
I'm not going to contribute to this thread because the subject line was totally uninformative, and that is acutely annoying. Next time please make the subject line describe what the thread is about.
Kanada Ten
I stole the Grandma from Devil Hunter Yoko; forever leaping to the PC's aid through glass windows on a motorcycle. And then bitching them out for being so stupid.
eidolon
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I'm not going to contribute to this thread because the subject line was totally uninformative, and that is acutely annoying. Next time please make the subject line describe what the thread is about.

Um...yet you still clicked it and posted.
Snow_Fox
that's about par for the course around here.

there's no reason why a senior citizen couldn't be a decker or rigger. the ability to 'run and punch" might be needed for more of a feild person like a mae or street sam. i htink part of the problem though is that the tech levels are fairly new in the SR world. now only 20 years on.
FanGirl
QUOTE (bustedkarma)
Quotes....

"Back in '54, we didn't have all your fancy Augmented Reality and Commie Links. If a man wanted to hack somebody in my day, he had to use a MACHETE!"

"Docwagon my ass. When a fella got shot when I was runnin, we used to just rub some dirt on it. Slap Patchs, let me tell you about Slap Patches. We kept em around for women and small animals. Real men just walked off a chest wound when I was your age."

"You there, the one with the face pierced. What do your parents think of that? Pass me those heart pills"

Brilliant! More, more! rotfl.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 26 2006, 05:16 PM)
I'm not going to contribute to this thread because the subject line was totally uninformative, and that is acutely annoying.  Next time please make the subject line describe what the thread is about.

Um...yet you still clicked it and posted.

But I didn't *contribute* because I just clogged the thread up with a complaint. That's not a contribution; that's a minor annoyance.

DAMMIT, you made me go and do it again.

Oh well, I guess it's OK now because the thread title has been fixed.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (FanGirl)
QUOTE (bustedkarma @ Apr 26 2006, 05:12 PM)
Quotes....

Brilliant! More, more! rotfl.gif

But that is like someone today talking about what they did in 1991. My husband was out of the army by then. Cell phones were still big enough to be weapons and computers were no where near as hot as they are now. But no one gets that far gone.

I friend of his was in both Gulf wars and doesn't have that sort of disconnect.
John Campbell
Some of the most dangerous fighters I know are in their 50s. They might not have the strength or speed or endurance of someone in their 20s or 30s, but they've got thirty years of experience to make up for that. Old age and treachery beats youth and speed every time.

Or, in other words, never forget Rule One.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Apr 27 2006, 01:37 PM)
But that is like someone today talking about what they did in 1991. My husband was out of the army by then. Cell phones were still big enough to be weapons and computers were no where near as hot as they are now. But no one gets that far gone.

I friend of his was in both Gulf wars and doesn't have that sort of disconnect.

I sometimes compare and contrast life "in my day" with the current life of the kids I babysit and I'm nineteen.

"When I was your age, we had good TV shows on Nickelodeon! Classics, like Are You Afraid Of The Dark? The Adventures of Pete and Pete, AAAAH! REAL MONSTERS! and Salute Your Shorts! And the Rugrats weren't 'All Grown Up,' either!"

I also remember when they didn't have little individual TV screens embedded in airplane seats, as well as a time when the Internet and cell phones didn't dominate people's lives, and many other aspects of life that were very different when I was a little kid. In short, I'm staggered by how much the world has changed in just a few short years, and sometimes it makes me feel much older than I probably should. I can't imagine how fast people in the future will "age."
PBTHHHHT
After a recent flight from East coast to West Coast and back, I have to thank the airline for installing the little individual tv screens. It made the flight much more enjoyable. I remember flying from Atlanta to Hong Kong back in my days and those were miserable journeys without the tv screens.

I can see the old folks who do go out on the run using combat pills possibly to help maintain their edge when there's a need for that brief amount of high flying action.
emo samurai
What was the original thread title that makes Wounded so annoyed?
Kagetenshi
"Has anyone ever…" with topic description "played…", or something like that. It was an offense against nature, all of mankind, and any god that exists.

~J
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
After a recent flight from East coast to West Coast and back, I have to thank the airline for installing the little individual tv screens.  It made the flight much more enjoyable.  I remember flying from Atlanta to Hong Kong back in my days and those were miserable journeys without the tv screens.

I can see the old folks who do go out on the run using combat pills possibly to help maintain their edge when there's a need for that brief amount of high flying action.

...of course I remember real meals, on real plates with real glasses and real silverware served by real hostesses while sitting in seats that had real room - and those whirly things on the ends of the engine nacelles...what were they called...? ah! Propellers. (need more of that Cerebral Boost Tonic)

ahhh for the pre-deregulation days of air travel when you didn't have to transfer at points "C" & "D" to get from "A" to "B".

...and strangely enough, it was still pretty affordable.

Now flying (at least domestic US) has become something akin to a Greyhound bus with wings in just about every bad way.

Sherman. Set the wayback machine for the "golden age"...
stevebugge
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
After a recent flight from East coast to West Coast and back, I have to thank the airline for installing the little individual tv screens.  It made the flight much more enjoyable.  I remember flying from Atlanta to Hong Kong back in my days and those were miserable journeys without the tv screens.

...of course I remember real meals, on real plates with real glasses and real silverware served by real hostesses while sitting in seats that had real room - and those whirly things on the ends of the engine nacelles...what were they called...? ah! Propellers. (need more of that Cerebral Boost Tonic)

ahhh for the pre-deregulation days of air travel when you didn't have to transfer at points "C" & "D" to get from "A" to "B".

...and strangely enough, it was still pretty affordable.

Now flying (at least domestic US) has become something akin to a Greyhound bus with wings in just about every bad way.

Sherman. Set the wayback machine for the "golden age"...

Funny, that isn't the way I remember Panamerican Airlines........
PBTHHHHT
Heh.

I'll take the idiot box installed in the chair and cheap flight tickets over a meal. The food wasn't that great from what I remember anyway. nyahnyah.gif

Oh, this one time back in the 90's I managed to travel in the business section from Tokyo back to Atlanta... It was the plane with the upper section for the cockpit and business class so you had to go up some stairs inside the plane. my gawd I was in luxury. I was reclined in my chair, my feet were propped out. My sister who was travelling with me was sitting on the window seat, she gets up to go the restroom, walks AROUND me and into the aisle. I was thinking dang, life was good. Hmmm... where's the inflight movie? Oh crap, each seat has their own monitor that you swing out from the armrest. What? Free alcohol? Hmmm... never tried sake before.

Oh yeah, that was the flight. Something I doubt I'll ever get a chance to be in again.

Back on topic, so what do y'all think of that aging runner who's now having to pop Kamikaze's to maintain his edge? The geriatric decker/rigger operating from the retirement home makes sense. I guess a mage would work too, especially one who makes talismans, create wards, maybe do some stuff like astral scouting.

Oh, then there's the group of old farts in the retirement home that's formed their own magical group. They've booked the community room for their ritual sorcery from 8 PM till 10PM so no bingo tonight folks, please don't interrupt them, they can get a bit testy if you do...
ronin3338
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Apr 27 2006, 02:59 PM)
"When I was your age, we had good TV shows on Nickelodeon!  Classics, like Are You Afraid Of The Dark? The Adventures of Pete and Pete, AAAAH!  REAL MONSTERS! and Salute Your Shorts!  And the Rugrats weren't 'All Grown Up,' either!"

Yeah? I remember when pretty much all the cartoons were Hannah Barbera, and Go Speed Go! was our anime battle cry. I remember when VCRs were new, and having to dial rotary phones (that's why it's called dialing a number)

I remember LPs, and 45s that weren't pistols, and cable TV had 40 channels at most.

Roleplay a member of AARP? Crap, I'm about to live it!
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (ronin3338)
Yeah? I remember when pretty much all the cartoons were Hannah Barbera, and Go Speed Go! was our anime battle cry. I remember when VCRs were new, and having to dial rotary phones (that's why it's called dialing a number)

I remember LPs, and 45s that weren't pistols, and cable TV had 40 channels at most.

Cable TV? What's that?
Though I do have to concede that you're probably older than I am, Ronin. Heh.

I grew up on the slightly later stuff, like Heman, Thundercats, Mask, GI Joe, Starblazers, Robotech, Smurfs (la la la lalalala...), Gummi Bears!

45s? You mean Colt 45, the beer? wink.gif
stevebugge
I think he means 45 RPM records, they were like cassette singles for your record player. I remember when the first UHF stations came on in Seattle, of course I grew up without cable but I think they were up to about 50 channels by then. The Cosby show wasn't in reruns yet and the K Car was going to save the American Auto Industry smile.gif
James McMurray
Sweet! I'm not the only old bastard around here. smile.gif

My first computer plugged into the TV and used cassette tapes for storage.

The best cartoons were Our Star Blazers and G-Force. woot!

And yes, I did own Pong, although it was on the Atari 2600, not the original system.
PBTHHHHT
I know, but I just had to make a reference to good 'ol Lando (Billy Dee Williams) and his ads for Colt '45. biggrin.gif
stevebugge
Dude the Commodore 64 Kicked major butt! Basic Operating system and 64K of RAM. Started out with a tape drive, but moved up to a 5.75 inch Disk Drive the size of a shoe box eventually.
FanGirl
QUOTE (ronin3338)
Yeah?  I remember when pretty much all the cartoons were Hannah Barbera, and Go Speed Go! was our anime battle cry.

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
I grew up on the slightly later stuff, like Heman, Thundercats, Mask, GI Joe, Starblazers, Robotech, Smurfs (la la la lalalala...), Gummi Bears!

Interestingly, I grew up on a mix of both very old cartoons and very current cartoons. You see, my dad was a huge fanboy for classic cartoons when he was in law school. Although he donated most of his collection to his university's media library, he still had some tapes of old Warner Bros., Disney, and Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons. I watched these tapes with great enthusiasm as a small child, in addition to the Nickelodeon shows. Interestingly, I got comparatively small doses of cartoons from the late 60s, the 70s, and the 80s because my dad just doesn't like them very much. Dad holds Hanna-Barbera cartoons in strong contempt, and Japanese animation is too alien and inaccessible to him (he finds the disproportionately huge eyes to be especially unsettling).

Anyway, I have to concede one thing to my parents' and grandparents' generation: the cartoons of the early 40s through early 60s were in many ways better than their modern counterparts. Watching Looney Tunes and Rocky and Bullwinkle as an (almost) adult, I see that there's a dynamic quality to them that I feel was lost during the rise of Hanna-Barbera. That's why you should all purchase/rent/steal the Looney Tunes Golden Collection and embrace the awesomeness of American cartooning's golden age.
ronin3338
QUOTE (FanGirl)
Anyway, I have to concede one thing to my parents' and grandparents' generation: the cartoons of the early 40s through early 60s were in many ways better than their modern counterparts.

True 'dat! Nothing, and I mean not a thing, is better than the old Looney Tunes (the later ones for the 60s & 70s, where they dropped the frame rate and started making movies suck though)

And let's not forget the real oldies, like Max Fleischer's Superman and Felix the Cat (in B&W of course)

Ah well, I could reminisce about D&D in blue boxes, seeing Star Wars in the theatre, real arcades... but it all boils down to:

I'm too old to be playing this game, but I'm too young to stop!
stevebugge
With ya there, and who can forget the AD&D books with the cartoony covers?
hyzmarca
Betty Boop is still the greatest of all cartoon sex symbols. Actually, I was toying with the idea of a Leonized flapper from the 1920s who uses Betty Boop as a street name.

And who can forget the excitement of watching Dolph Lundgren portray He-Man on the big screen?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Betty Boop is still the greatest of all cartoon sex symbols. Actually, I was toying with the idea of a Leonized flapper from the 1920s who uses Betty Boop as a street name.

And who can forget the excitement of watching Dolph Lundgren portray He-Man on the big screen?

There are actually a few copies of He Man floating around the FSM. I've watched that film 2 or 3 times already. I find that I actually really love that film and it's a nice window into the 80s.

I also liked how Dolph Lundgren, a former full contact karate practitioner, had slow and akward swordplay but had fast and convincing punches and knee strikes.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (FanGirl)
That's why you should all purchase/rent/steal the Looney Tunes Golden Collection and embrace the awesomeness of American cartooning's golden age.

That raises the question, do these have the cartoon violence edited out of them like I've seen on cable TV in recent years?
FanGirl
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Apr 27 2006, 04:54 PM)
That's why you should all purchase/rent/steal the Looney Tunes Golden Collection and embrace the awesomeness of American cartooning's golden age.

That raises the question, do these have the cartoon violence edited out of them like I've seen on cable TV in recent years?

Nope! All the violence, sexuality (yes, sexuality!), and other un-PC elements have been lovingly preserved.
Snow_Fox
Animaniacs did rerally well at keeping that going too.
HELLLOOOO NURSE
hyzmarca
Well, you can't take Betty's boop-oop-a-doop away. The best cartoons always contained mature humor that was subtle enough to fly over the heads of those who shouldn't be able to understand it - like censors.
FanGirl
Yeah, I recently rewatched some of cartoons I enjoyed when I was little and wondered: "why did my dad let me watch this stuff?" Then I realized that it was because I had absolutely no conception of sex, so all the naughtiness went completely over my head. Epiphanies like these just bring home to me that displays of sexuality aren't nearly as damaging or corrupting to little kids as many people make them out to be.
Kanada Ten
One should be care to realize that "epiphanies" based solely on personal experience are actually not good evidence. To reject scientific research because we cannot see the effect can be very dangerous, in my opinion.

The survey showed that watching TV with sexual content artificially aged the children: those who watched more than average behaved sexually as though they were 9 to 17 months older and watched only average amounts. Twelve-year-olds who watched the most behaved sexually like 14- and 15-year-olds who watched the least.

http://www.commercialexploitation.org/news...renmediasex.htm

What is bad and good for development is an unknown quantity, but rapid development has consequences. Consider that the rate of new HIV infection has leveled - but not gone down for several years. Whether there is cause-effect is hard, in fact very hard, to determine. But can you show an advantage to rapid development in this society?
hyzmarca
There is a big difference between double-entendres in cleverly writen cartoons and single-entendres in poorly writen live action series.
Kanada Ten
There was nothing sublte about Betty's Boobs.
FanGirl
I realize that I shouldn't automatically take anecdotes as representative of the whole picture, but that article only discusses sexual content as viewed by adolescents. I don't know what the literature has to say about it, but I don't think that most preoperational children are able to understand precisely what sexuality is and what it means to people.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that when a very young child is exposed to sexual images, it doesn't really affect the speed of his sexual development because he's not at the developmental stage where he can recognize something as being "sexual." I can't point to any studies to support this--all I have is anecdotal evidence--but I can't think of any evidence that would cast doubt on it, either.

EDIT2:
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
There was nothing sublte about Betty's Boobs.

You know, I didn't notice women's breasts at all until I read about breasts in a sex-ed book. I think I was about ten years old at the time, and I remember looking at different women--in school, at the grocery store, on the streets--and thinking: "They really do have breasts! I can't believe I never noticed it before!" In fact, I still can't quite believe it that I was so selectively blind for about half my life, but I was. That's just one of my anecdotal tidbits for you.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (stevebugge)

Funny, that isn't the way I remember Panamerican Airlines........

Yeah, Eddie Rickenbacker's departure as CEO started the death spiral for PAA. It ended with an ignoble thud when the North Atlantic Market (once the primary domain of both PAA and TWA) was opened to the likes of Northwest, National, American, Delta, United, and *sheesh* even Allegheny & Piedmont.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ronin3338)
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Apr 27 2006, 02:59 PM)
"When I was your age, we had good TV shows on Nickelodeon!  Classics, like Are You Afraid Of The Dark? The Adventures of Pete and Pete, AAAAH!  REAL MONSTERS! and Salute Your Shorts!  And the Rugrats weren't 'All Grown Up,' either!"

...I hear you on that one.

Yeah, the ol HB cartoons were pretty cool. Then there were the Prime Time 30 min animated shows - The Flintstones, The Jetsons and the original Johnny Quest (as opposed to the bad half baked CG version now on the Cartoon Channel).

I also remember the old Mighty Marvel Action show which featured Thor, The Hulk, Spider Man, and Capt. America. Man the animation was really cheezy but the theme songs stuck in your head for days.

When Captain America throws his mighty shield...
hyzmarca

What little is known about the effects of television sex on teenage attitudes and behavior comes primarily from a national telephone survey conducted twice, in 2001 and again in 2002, among 1,792 youths ages 12 to 17.

I'm sorry but there is no possible way that I can take this survey seriously. There were no face to face interviews, no independent verification, no observation and the sample size is ludicrously small.

In order to get good reliable results you need a sample size at least 10 times that and you need an equally large control group. Most importantly, you need to independently observe these children for many, many years using a Truman Show level of uninvasive surveillance that would probably lead to the researchers violating several child pornography statutes.
Kagetenshi
You don't need a larger sample size but you do need better control of the experiment in a bunch of ways.

~J
FanGirl
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 27 2006, 10:26 PM)
I also remember the old Mighty Marvel Action show which featured Thor, The Hulk, Spider Man, and Capt. America.  Man the animation was really cheezy but the theme songs stuck in your head for days.

When Captain America throws his mighty shield...

The theme song for The Bugs Bunny And Tweety Show (which I used to watch on Saturday mornings) also sticks in my head sometimes. Last summer, my dad and I got into a heated argument about whether Bugs and Daffy sing "Overture, curtains, lights," or "Overture, cut the lights." When two separate lyrics website confirmed my assertion, my dad still tried to "win" the argument by emailing my Uncle John* and asking him for his impartial opinion on the matter. John confirmed the correct lyrics, which are indeed "curtains, lights," but Dad continues to believe that it is "cut the lights" in spite of all the evidence stacked against him. As a fangirl, I truly am my father's daughter. smile.gif

*Note: Uncle John is actually Dad's first cousin, making him my second cousin once removed, but it's too awkward to say "Second-Cousin-Once-Removed John, it's so nice to see you again!"
HMHVV Hunter
I used to watch Bugs and Daffy on Cartoon Network all the time before they stopped showing it (in favor of the then-new Adult Swim lineup).

God, I never stop laughing at those cartoons. Road Runner and Wile Coyote remain two of my all-time favorite cartoon characters, and Bugs and Daffy are always great (especially together)

Bugs: "Duck season!"
Daffy: "Rabbit season!'
Bugs: "Rabbit season!"
Daffy: "Duck season, FIRE!"
*BLAM*
FanGirl
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
Bugs: "Duck season!"
Daffy: "Rabbit season!'
Bugs: "Rabbit season!"
Daffy: "Duck season, FIRE!"
*BLAM*

This is from the same cartoon that you quoted, and is one of the finest comedic dialogues of the 20th century--if not the finest:

Bugs: Would you like to shoot me now or wait 'till you get home?
Daffy: Shoot him now! Shoot him now!
Bugs: You keep outta this! He doesn't hafta shoot you now!
Daffy: He does so have to shoot me now! (to Elmer) I demand that you shoot me now!
(BANG!)
. . .
Daffy: (to Bugs) Let's run through that again.
Bugs: Okay! (Reciting in a monotone) "Would you like to shoot me now or wait 'till you get home?"
Daffy: (Also reciting) "Shoot him now, shoot him now."
Bugs: (reciting) "You keep outta this, he doesn't hafta shoot you now."
Daffy: A-HA! That's it! Hold it right there! (to audience) Pronoun trouble! (to Bugs) It's not "he doesn't hafta shoot you now," it's "he doesn't hafta shoot me now." Well, I say he does hafta shoot me now! (to Elmer) So shoot me now!
(BANG!)

I'm surprised that I haven't met more people at my college who like these cartoons. I've talked to people about starting a club for "classic" cartoon enthusiasts, but freshman year has been so much of an adjustment for me that I'm not even going to try and start it up until next fall.
HMHVV Hunter
Oh yeah, I remember those - I just couldn't remember exactly how they went. Reading that dialogue, however, has me laughing all over again smile.gif

Some other good ones:

"Where's the 'kaboom?' There was supposed to be an earth-shattering 'kaboom'!" - Marvin the Martian

"I may be a craven coward - but I'm a greeeeeeeeeedy craven coward!" - Daffy Duck

Wile Coyote (inputting variables into a suggestion machine of his): "Rock!...fall!...on me!"
Suggestion machine: "Go back and take your medicine!"
-After yet ANOTHER trap backfires

Oh god, remember the family of bears?! I can't remember thier names, but they were HILARIOUS! The grumpy dad, the naive mother, and the eternally dim-witted Junior! AWESOME!
eralston
Yeah, I think they all got illustrative-botox and do those toilet paper commercials now...

I think your char doesn't have to be ancient when you guys seem to be, that said: not many Tom & Jerry fans it seems
FanGirl
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
Oh god, remember the family of bears?! I can't remember thier names, but they were HILARIOUS! The grumpy dad, the naive mother, and the eternally dim-witted Junior! AWESOME!

They were Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Junior Bear. They first appeared in 1944's "Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012