Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking and Logic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Big D
Sorry if I seem particularly obtuse, but this has been bugging me...

When exactly can a hacker/TM use skill+Logic instead of skill+program?

"When you are directly interacting with a device" seems way too open for me. Does that mean if I skip the program/CF and attempt to perform an action that a program/CF does without using one that I can use Logic for the pool instead? That seems munchy, because then a maxed hacker can have the equivalent of a rating-9 program on any action that they choose--with the only catch being that they couldn't replicate sustained programs like armor, or simulate running multiple programs at once.

Does it instead mean that I can never use skill+Logic unless I'm crouched over a captured commlink on a desk trying to take it apart, or something?

Also, on a similar note, is there any reason (other than prejudice) that a TM shouldn't just carry a commlink around full of programs that they don't have CFs for (yet), run it into their PAN, and access it from their living persona as needed? That would seem to be particularly useful for starting TMs to do, to cover their weak spots. After all, program upgrades are cheaper than CF upgrades, if you get my meaning.
Aaron
Here's how I'd do it:

"Geez, this guy's commlink is set up in some completely fragged-up chiphead way. Lemme see if I can get it to work properly." -- Computer (or Hacking) + Logic

"Geez. this guy's commlink is protected with some completely fragged-up chiphead firewall. Lemme see if I can get it to work properly." -- Hacking + Exploit

"Geez. this guy's commlink is protected with some completely fragged-up chiphead encryption. Lemme see if I can get it to read properly." -- Response + Decrypt

BnF95
Hacking on the fly?
Big D
Hacking on the fly?

Essentially, yes. It just seems a little wrong that I could ignore the program and add *more* dice to the pool doing it by hand--especially if I could add 9 (or 10, if I use Ex. Att.) to it.
BnF95
Could be because a program isn't as intuitive as a person? Although I do sometimes allow my PCs to add in their intuition/logic attribute to the skill+program check, specially when they are helping the program out (i.e. REALLY trying to crack something ... fast.)
Big D
I buy the, err, logic, of that, but it makes for some odd gameplay considerations.

For starters, if I have a high Logic, why should I ever buy an attack program? Any time that I would use an attack program, I could perform the attack myself instead.

The same goes for the major action-based programs, like exploit and edit.
BnF95
Errr ... instead of skill+program it becomes skill+program+attribute?
Konsaki
Paint a room with photoshop (Edit Program) and then paint a room using 1's and 0's (Logic) or some other code language.
Thanee
QUOTE (Big D)
"When you are directly interacting with a device" seems way too open for me. Does that mean if I skip the program/CF and attempt to perform an action that a program/CF does without using one that I can use Logic for the pool instead? That seems munchy, because then a maxed hacker can have the equivalent of a rating-9 program on any action that they choose--with the only catch being that they couldn't replicate sustained programs like armor, or simulate running multiple programs at once.

That's when you are not in the matrix, as I understand it.

Bye
Thanee
Kremlin KOA
on the photosop thing, I know programmers who work faster in assembler than in photoshop when doing graphics
Konsaki
Is that a program or a language?
Voran
I'm thinking instead of skill+program+attribute directly, you could roll attribute (logic or whatever) and the number of hits you get is the number of dice you can add to skill+program.
BnF95
QUOTE (Voran)
I'm thinking instead of skill+program+attribute directly, you could roll attribute (logic or whatever) and the number of hits you get is the number of dice you can add to skill+program.

Alternatively, you could roll attribute+program with the skill level being the max # of hits.
mfb
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
on the photosop thing, I know programmers who work faster in assembler than in photoshop when doing graphics

maybe for simple graphics, nothing more complex than a shaded box or circle. not that programmers are known for their spectacular graphical skizzles to begin with, i guess.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Konsaki)

iirc, assembler is a language. or more correct a collective term covering the diffrent signal sequences a cpu uses, given names.

ie, intel have one kind of assembler for their cpus, there is another kind for the powerpc line of cpus and so on. its one step up from working directly with the binary 1's and 0's that all computing is based on.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ May 1 2006, 09:24 PM)

iirc, assembler is a language. or more correct a collective term covering the diffrent signal sequences a cpu uses, given names.

ie, intel have one kind of assembler for their cpus, there is another kind for the powerpc line of cpus and so on. its one step up from working directly with the binary 1's and 0's that all computing is based on.

You've got it mostly.

Languages (Basic, C/C++, Assembly, etc) are Complied into Object Code then turned into Machine Language (1's an 0's) that the CPU can execute.

High Level languages are easier to code but tend offer less control over exact machine control. The resultant code is larger and slower than their lower level language counter parts. The same program written in Assembly can easily be 10-times smaller than the same program written in Basic and executes much faster.

A general order would be: Code -> Compile -> Link -> Execute
Big D
So, going back to the original question, is this something that's just unclear in RAW? It certainly sounds that way, and that was the main thing that I wanted to confirm.

In general, I'm liking Aaron's recommendation, which seems to disallow Logic from being used in any situation where a specific program can be used instead. I worry that adding 5-10 dice on top of a normal skill+program pool could make hacking anything that doesn't have a Logic attribute too easy.

On the other hand, that would imply that you simply couldn't perform an action for which you had no program.

Would some sort of a default penalty be appropriate to allow a decker to use Logic in place of a program? Even then, if it was only a -2 penalty, a super-intelligent hacker would ignore most programs--but then, maybe that's a reasonable assumption to begin with.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Konsaki)
Paint a room with photoshop (Edit Program) and then paint a room using 1's and 0's (Logic) or some other code language.

Done both...

PS makes it easier and quicker, "0"s & "1"s, are cheaper.

Depends if speed or economy is more important.
bustedkarma
I like the idea of allowing a hacker to use Logic, to some degree. I think of it as the hacker adding a new bit of code on the fly to his utility, to try an make it work a little better for the current situation.
Kyoto Kid
As I understand it from the description, hacking on the fly is considered a more "brute force" approach and thus is more likely to trigger an alert.

I would think that aside from drain, hacking should use the same mechanic as for casting spells.

Pool = Logic + Hacking Skill

Damage/Effect = Programme rating + net hits [with maximum hits applicable = programme rating]
hobgoblin
how about rolling logic and the number of hits is the number of extra dice it gives to the skill test?
Geekkake
The hacker in my games who starts asking for Logic in addition to other pools, or in lieu of weaker programs, is the hacker who gets what he wants, and somehow runs into nothing but ultraviolets filled with hideous forms of black ice that dissolve his mind from the inside out.

Are you listening, Red?
Thanee
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 1 2006, 11:03 PM)
As I understand it from the description, hacking on the fly is considered a more "brute force" approach and thus is more likely to trigger an alert.

I think in the book, it's just one method of gaining entry to a system, when you have no passcodes or anything.
After that, there is no hacking on the fly anymore.

I would think that aside from drain, hacking should use the same mechanic as for casting spells. 

Damage/Effect = Programme rating + net hits [with maximum hits applicable = programme rating]

Not too bad. Instead of Drain I would increase some tally, that triggers security responses at various points.

Bye
Thanee
Konsaki

I like the way this houserule looks. It would make all 3 elements have a true value for the runner. As it is, I could take a meathead with 1 logic, throw a all 6 commlink at him full of programs and he would be able to hack almost as well as a supernerd with 10 Logic.
Voran
Hm. I kinda also like the idea of Logic+Skill with a max hits based on something like twice the program rating. You could be a smart, skilled guy, but if you're stuck using a piddly program, it'll really limit you.
Konsaki
I think that would lower the value of the program, i would see people getting rank 3 programs just to save money cause most people dont get more than 6 successes unless they have an ungodly pool.
Logic 10 + Skill 7 + Hot Sim (2) = Max pool of 19 dice for matrix actions unless you have some adept hacker munchkin... cyber.gif
Most hackers would have on average logic 4-5 and skill 4-5 with hotsim. This leads to an average of 3-5 hits per roll. With programs limiting hits to their rank*1 they mean more and you will see more rank 4-5 programs.
Big D
You have to figure out what to do when you have no program, though.

With magic, it's simple... you can't cast what you don't know.

With hacking, it just doesn't quite make sense that you can't disarm that data bomb because you don't have a purpose-built program with you.

I was also wondering... is there any reason why a TM *shouldn't* carry a commlink with a few programs on it to balance out their weak points? It will take a heck of a lot of karma to get CFs raised to 6 everywhere.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Big D)
I was also wondering... is there any reason why a TM *shouldn't* carry a commlink with a few programs on it to balance out their weak points? It will take a heck of a lot of karma to get CFs raised to 6 everywhere.

My GM made up a house rule to make CFs like spells: They cost 3 BP or 5 Karma, and are always equal to one's Resonance. I plan on having my TM carry around a commlink that she'll use for all legitimate business, only using her special abilities when it's time to do illegal stuff.
Konsaki
Off the top of my head, if the person didnt have a Hacking program, Disable Databomb for example, they couldnt do it. If they didnt have a Normal one like Search, then they default to 1 cause all the normal ones come with your OS in the RAW.
For TM IMO they cant use Hacker skills like they use their TM skills. Hacking (Hacker) and Hacking ™ are 2 entirely different things. He would have to skill in both... The plus side is they dont really have to cause they can always thread a CF they dont have. It is just a pain to do. nyahnyah.gif
All that said about the TM, it doesnt mean they CANT carry around a commlink. Infact IMO they should if just to be a decoy. biggrin.gif
Edit: I agree with FanGirl on that Houserule. It makes TM and Hackers a little more even IMO.
FanGirl
Yes, that's what I just said I'm doing! If a TM uses a commlink frequently (but never for shady stuff) then it's much harder to pin anything on him.

EDIT: Actually, you're agreeing with Emo; it was all his idea.
Konsaki
*Shoots self in head* dead.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Big D)
So, going back to the original question, is this something that's just unclear in RAW?

Not really.

QUOTE (Big D)
In general, I'm liking Aaron's recommendation, which seems to disallow Logic from being used in any situation where a specific program can be used instead.

That's what the RAW says. wink.gif

QUOTE (Big D)
On the other hand, that would imply that you simply couldn't perform an action for which you had no program.

IIRC, that's the RAW, too.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Big D)

IIRC, that's the RAW, too.

Which makes sense. Most, if not all, Matrix interactions are simply too complex to write a program on the fly for it.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Voran)
You could be a smart, skilled guy, but if you're stuck using a piddly program, it'll really limit you.

...yeah, Like MS Outlook...

The Jopp
In order to avoid the ”Idiot Savant” syndrome (logic 1 hacker with whizbang software and commlink) that can hack just about anything but is a drooling idiot everywhere else. We did the following:

Logic: A characters understanding of how a program works, its limitations and versatility in a given situation

Intuition: A characters understanding in how to exploit the programs abilities in unusual ways and an imaginative mind to come up with unusual solutions.

The maximum rating of a program a character can use is (Logic+Intuition) / 2.

This solution means that you *need* a certain level of intelligence and intuitive mind in order to fully use a complex program. In the case of the Idiot Savant it *could* be a wonder child with a logic of 1 and Intuition 7 who could use a rating 4 program but they should be rare, very rare (mostly because their survival in the shadows would be almost nil.)

This way your Logic and Intuition functions like some version of Response since it effectively limits your effective program rating.
Kremlin KOA
which runs counter to Canon history

as the High Logic Government Hackers Died at the Hands of the '29 crash Virus

But a bunch of Intuitive Mavericks (high Intuition, Low Logic) Roxored the Soxors of the virus.

FanPro got this one right
Deal with it.
(Synner: See, when you guys do good I acknowledge it."
Rotbart van Dainig
Not really - they took the most gifted kids... which would have a higher logic than the agents, in fact. wink.gif
Kremlin KOA
No
They took Gifted Mavericks

Now I don't know abotu you, but In my experience, most maverick hackers I know are very high on the intuition, although their logic and planning leaves someting to be desired
The Jopp
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

But a bunch of Intuitive Mavericks (high Intuition, Low Logic) Roxored the Soxors of the virus.

Deal with it.

I disagree. The Deckers of old might have been high Logic and low intuition while the new ones had BOTH high Logic and Intuition, you usually NEED intelligence to understand computers and programming, you need to LEARN how to use hacking programs and I dont think they let Intelligence 1 characters into Universities without the grades to prove they belong there...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
Now I don't know abotu you, but In my experience, most maverick hackers I know are very high on the intuition, although their logic and planning leaves someting to be desired

You seem to confuse Logic and formal training.
In the given case, the old ways the agents were trained in didn't prove effective.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (The Jopp)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ May 2 2006, 08:45 AM)

Deal with it.

I disagree. The Deckers of old might have been high Logic and low intuition while the new ones had BOTH high Logic and Intuition, you usually NEED intelligence to understand computers and programming, you need to LEARN how to use hacking programs and I dont think they let Intelligence 1 characters into Universities without the grades to prove they belong there...

please explain real life Autistic Computer Geniuses?

Given that on the scale of what Logic measures thhey usually rate on mmost tests from below average to Sub Human (No I am not trying to troll the Politically Correct crowd.

they understand the computer systems on an intuitive level, that even I find diffficult to understand

It reminds me of how I was able to program at a very young age without undertsandng anything abot the logic systems of computers

They kinda just spoke to me
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
please explain real life Autistic Computer Geniuses?

Concerning the rules, they certainly have a very high Logic.
Kremlin KOA
FanPro, please shut this complaint up
Move all computer skills to be linked to intuition, to reflct the Echo Mirage stories
The Jopp
QUOTE (Big D)
You have to figure out what to do when you have no program, though.

With magic, it's simple... you can't cast what you don't know.

With hacking, it just doesn't quite make sense that you can't disarm that data bomb because you don't have a purpose-built program with you.

Well, if you lack a program just houserule it. Hacking+Logic-Rating (opposing program rating)=Pool
The Jopp
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
No
They took Gifted Mavericks

They might have been illogical in the way they did things but I'd bet that their logic was quite high (ie intelligence). They just had a higher intuition than other intelligent people.

Which brings me back to the Logic+Intuition/2.

Both attributes contributes to the total intelligence of a character since it is also used for knowledge skills.

One could also limit dice pool to logic+intuition+program. A hacker with logic 3 intuition 3 and program 5 would be able to roll a maximum of 11D6 +modifiers for VR etc.
Aaron
While I was thinking this whole issue over, I thought about my parents. They're both highly intelligent (high Logic Attribute), but not very computer savvy. I recalled all of the various times I was called upon to fix, support, or otherwise assist them. Consider, if you will:
  • My mother was looking for Irish songs with the name Sarah in them. She knew that Google was a popular search engine (the Browse program), so she used it. She began by typing in various search strings (including "Sarah" and "Irish Songs"), but she didn't get what she wanted; her Data Search skill was low to non-existant. She called her son, who used the same program with a better skill rating. No attributes involved.
  • My father was dealing with a very slow computer, especially during anything involving disc access. I told him to defragment his hard drive, which didn't help him. I told him to use the defragging program that came with his operating system (I suppose that would be Edit for the program? Yes, for copying data), and that didn't help him either. I had to use the program myself (with my Computer skill) to get the job done. No attributes involved.
  • This isn't family-related, but I had a particularly unwise student who was none too bright. Somehow, he learned where to get some scripts to hack the school's network. He studied up on how to use the scripts and how to exploit the (old, creaky) network, and applied what he had learned (his Hacking skill, or rather a specialization) and the scripts (Exploit program) and compromised the network. Then, to show his low Logic Attribute, bragged about it to everybody who would listen. Except for the bragging, no attributes involved.

So it looks like if it's entirely in the Matrix, one's Attributes don't matter; it's all about the proggies.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Aaron)

[*]This isn't family-related, but I had a particularly unwise student who was none too bright. Somehow, he learned where to get some scripts to hack the school's network. He studied up on how to use the scripts and how to exploit the (old, creaky) network, and applied what he had learned (his Hacking skill, or rather a specialization) and the scripts (Exploit program) and compromised the network. Then, to show his low Logic Attribute, bragged about it to everybody who would listen. Except for the bragging, no attributes involved.

So it looks like if it's entirely in the Matrix, one's Attributes don't matter; it's all about the proggies.

In this case I would say that he was not very bright but used his intuition to find a solution to the problem. He might be Intelligent but that doesn’t mean that he is smart.

In your case when it came to suggesting that your father should use defrag program and suchlike I’d say you used your logic skill because you had a logical knowledge in what program to use. In your mothers case she might have been intelligent and intuitive but those attributes were limited by her low computer skill.
hobgoblin
round and round and round we go, where it will end, nobody knows...
The Jopp
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
round and round and round we go, where it will end, nobody knows...

Hehehe... rotfl.gif rotate.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012