Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Area effect spells and line of sight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
James McMurray
If you believe the post of a moron claiming to have seen "proof". biggrin.gif
blakkie
Don't you have better things to do? Like create unnessasary facing rules additions to game rules you don't actually understand to start with? Or maybe you could start up one of those web dictionary pages for wildly alternate definitions of things like free pass. You might be able to speed up the process by just taking some random words and running them through Babelfish from English to Chinese to Spanish and then back to English. rotfl.gif
yesman
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
that is exactly how indirect AOE combat spells work now.

Page Number?
mfb
you guys really, really deserve each other.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 3 2006, 04:14 PM)
you guys really, really deserve each other.

I'm sorry for jilting you like that. If you'd only post something wildly irrational again maybe we could work it out. ;( I mean McMurray has his head stuffed up his posterior and all, which is fun, but he just doesn't have the quality of intellect to back it up like you do.

It is like kicking kittens. Sure initially fun, but in the end quite an empty experience because they are just little tiny kittens and really can't fight back.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (yesman @ May 4 2006, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 3 2006, 03:18 PM)
that is exactly how indirect AOE combat spells work now.

Page Number?

you got me there...

looks like its another small detail that have changed from SR3. and given that, things just got even more messed up...
James McMurray
blakkie, leaving aside the pointless insults (if you can), answer me this:

Is it possible for a character to be standing somewhere, looking in a single direction? Can you walk up unnoticed by that person? If so, then you've just determined his facing. If not, then yu've just given him eyes in the back of the head.

Question two, same as question one except that the person is now under the effects of Hold Person, so he couldn't move his head if he wanted. Could you walk up without him seeing you? If so, from what direction? If not, why?
Apathy
Please don't think I'm taking sides here - I happen to think you're both zealous morons. (You've also both got systems that work for your groups, so it doesn't really matter what I or anyone else thinks...)

Putting my nuyen.gif.02 in, I like using battle mats and miniatures during combat in my games, and am happy using a 'dumbed down' version of facing ("you see in a 200 degree arc oriented whichever way you're mini is facing") and let that apply to both spellcasting and spell defense. I like making the players choose tactically whether to put the mage in front (more exposed, can't spell defend those behind him, but doesn't have to worry about friendly fire on his AOE spells) versus having him behind (safer for him, and can give spell defense but more likely to kill his own guys with friendly fire.)
Kanada Ten
Well, a caster can always remove hits on a spellcasting test, so one can balance their counterspelling with their AOE.

QUOTE (mfb)
i'd get some AR glasses and give everyone in my crew IFF transponders. the AR glasses would automatically block out my friends when i cast a spell. it'd block out me, too, of course.

Corporations will install spam zones that they activate during an intrusion, these zones then flood all visual AR with black screens, possibly rendering your AR useless. Some places could also jam the area, especially if they rely on a wired system.

I'm not sure you can block yourself without blocking other targets as well, but also note that your AR Glasses would be valid targets for physical AOE spells.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 3 2006, 04:51 PM)
Is it possible for a character to be standing somewhere, looking in a single direction? Can you walk up unnoticed by that person? If so, then you've just determined his facing. If not, then yu've just given him eyes in the back of the head.

....or he happened to turn his head in that 750ms+ time span, which isn't all that difficult to do. rotate.gif I'm pretty sure I covered that in the whole expanded paragraph about the physiological mechanics of heads and eyes in "my world". dead.gif

So yes indeed "facing" is handled in the RAW. It is built into the abstract so you don't -need- to screw around with the mess of who is pointing where at any given point. At most you probably should only give negatives to percieving, which does have adjustments listed for not being alert. Welcome to the skills Stealth and Perception, which functionally I like better than how D&D handles trying to sneak around. Or use Shadowing if you are doing the sneaking up without caring whether or not the mark sees you, just trying to blend in to all tho other people on the street.

EDIT: Feel free to describe a successful roll IC as the mark was looking the other way, too busy staring at the WonderBra billboard, to notice the Troll sneaking up on him. Or any other creative descripton of why the mark was distracted/inattentive/stupified/looking the other way. See, the --dice-- inconjuction with the character's abilities can tell you when the character is looking the other way.

@ Apathy: So if a mage moves his vision side to side or up and down during casting is he not not actually able to see multiple targets which could all be within range? I find with my own unaugmented embarrassed.gif IP of 1 i can easily glance around a good portion a sphere in 3 seconds. Actually I'm likely worse than just plain unaugmented with my stiff, aging, and car accident damaged neck. Hey, try it using a timer yourself. I did. smile.gif Or watch someone [that is good] play a team sport like soccer, hockey, etc.

It isn't some amazing edge for PCs either, because it cuts both ways and in multiple ways for NPCs too. It also allows you to consistantly handle simpler situtations without taking them to the mat too. If you don't mind all the extra effort of trying to figure out what is facing where when and for how long, and the table chatter (that likely will eventually come down to some codified shorthand like "I Greyhawk the room") have at it i suppose.

In very specific situations, like someone that is getting rolled around on a dolly ala Hannibal Lector, you could worry about it. But normally there really is no need to sweat it because it's pretty much already right in there. Any "realism" you are adding with extra facing rules is just handicapping the PCs to the level of poorly trained combatants, because the well trained ones are checking their flanks and rear all the time (i.e. have good Perception ability) to give them as much awareness of the situation as possible.

EDIT: That of course brings up another interesting irony. For all James' moaning about not being able to sneak up to distracted combatants in D&D, D&D does have a sneaking/distracted mechanic built right into the combat rules. It's called Flanking. Flanking gives melee attackers bonuses to hit and effectively gives rogues, and those like-skilled, DAH-DUM! Sneak Attacks....unless the mark is well trained in the art of not being Flanked. cool.gif
Apathy
While a character is fully capable of turning his head back and forth in the span of a second to see [at least close to] 360 degrees, at any one instant he's only looking in a single direction. In the instant that the enemy mage releases his thermonuclear-powerbolt-of-doom, the mage can only see those people that are in the 180-200 degree arc of his field of vision, and those are the only people he could protect with his spell defense. In the split second that he casts his own stunball, he is by definition looking only in one direction (possible exceptions if you're cross-eyed twirl.gif, or if you have multiple cybereyes), and only the people you can actually see at that instant are the ones you [potentially] hit.

Since turns are 3 seconds or so, you could say that he was looking any direction as he was spinning around madly trying to see everything at once, but for simplicity's sake I just have the mage pick a direction and change his facing whenever he wants.

However, if the mage is doing piroettes in the middle of battle trying to look all directions at once, he'll have more difficulty focusing on anything in any single direction, and I'd give him perception modifiers for that as well.
booklord
i think allowing mages to block their LOS with their hands, or even turn their heads to avoid seeing friendly targets, opens a massive can of worms that would lead to horrible abuse in many gaming groups. the only way i could see it working is if you just applied a flat penalty to the spellcasting test for each target you want to disinclude. and even then, i wouldn't allow it in my games (mainly because i use custom metamagics to achieve that end result).

It's come up in my games. My ruling was this:

Yes the mage can do that, but deliberately blocking your own line of sight results in a modifier equivalent to "partial cover" for all targets and a modifier equivalent to "full cover" for the protected target.

The actual situation was a mage's friend being surrounded by about a hundred devil rats. ( He had stupidly charged into the room, thinking the element of surprise outvalued the element of caution ) The mage character decided against it and just blasted everything in the Area of Effect. Friend included. ( Who lived by the way. Lucky bastard. )
blakkie
QUOTE (Apathy @ May 4 2006, 09:38 AM)
While a character is fully capable of turning his head back and forth in the span of a second to see [at least close to] 360 degrees, at any one instant he's only looking in a single direction.

I'm curious what text this "targeting instant" comes from in SR. Not saying it definately isn't there, and i certainly am not the encyclopia of the rules past and present. I'm just not sure where that is from, or if it is a concept you have come up with. Because I don't remember seeing that. I seem to remember things always descibed interms of LOS (or touch) but not single, lengthless point in time reference. I don't see in the SR4 rules, or even the fluff, where they go into that sort of detail about that or mention there being an instant of vision.

If that was the case there should be at least vision modifiers for anything out of a very narrow arc of view because we get the kind of vision field of view we do through our eyes moving...which while very quick is certainly not instantaneous.
Shrike30
If we could pass on the discussion of D20 for a bit, and focus more on SR4...

The random possibilities that putting your hand in front of your eye or having your cybereyes programmed to black out your teammates can cause are having me heavily thinking I should be ignoring facing entirely, and have "Line of Sight" be completely unlinked from what the player is actually looking at. This lets him thump people in front of him, behind him, wherever, as long as you can draw a line on the astral between his brain and the target without going through a "solid" object. This makes it so "blind mages" aren't totally dependent upon switching to astral to cast (and prevents people from deliberately blinding themselves to a target, or at least discourages it). It also allows mage hoods to work, if you're willing to accept that they'd be bulky (over an inch thick) so that they could envelop the caster's aura. Since visibility modifiers are figured in to most casting, someone behind the caster would have the blind-fire modifier applied to them.
Apathy
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Apathy @ May 4 2006, 09:38 AM)
While a character is fully capable of turning his head back and forth in the span of a second to see [at least close to] 360 degrees, at any one instant he's only looking in a single direction.

I'm curious what text this "targeting instant" comes from in SR. Not saying it definately isn't there, and i certainly am not the encyclopia of the rules past and present. I'm just not sure where that is from, or if it is a concept you have come up with. Because I don't remember seeing that. I seem to remember things always descibed interms of LOS (or touch) but not single, lengthless point in time reference. I don't see in the SR4 rules, or even the fluff, where they go into that sort of detail about that or mention there being an instant of vision.

If that was the case there should be at least vision modifiers for anything out of a very narrow arc of view because we get the kind of vision field of view we do through our eyes moving...which while very quick is certainly not instantaneous.

It's not specified one way or the other in the text - it's just the interpretation that makes sense to me.
blakkie
QUOTE (Apathy @ May 4 2006, 03:28 PM)
It's not specified one way or the other in the text - it's just the interpretation that makes sense to me.

So basically your problem with looking around while casting is created by the assumption of your own creation, and not really anything [as far as you know] in SR canon past or present? Did you happen to notice my last paragraph where i point out a problem with that assumption of yours?
James McMurray
See, the --dice-- inconjuction with the character's abilities can tell you when the character is looking the other way.

Yeah, if you want to completely ignore what I said and instead let the dice determine what the guy does. I said he isn't looking around. Your response was "make him look around." Yeah, that makes sense. And you totally ignored the part about him being held and unable to look around.

Yeah, there's flanking, but that's just a red herring that has nothing to do with sneaking up on someone unseen. Nice try though.

Re targetting: do you let your mages target people all around them witht he same spell, despite the fact that they can't possibly see them all at the same time? If so that's cool, and I'm glad it works for your games, but it totally destroys the reasoning for using the phrases "line of sight" and "target what they see."

booklord: I like your cover idea. If it comes up in our games I'll suggest we use it.
Shrike30
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Re targetting: do you let your mages target people all around them witht he same spell, despite the fact that they can't possibly see them all at the same time? If so that's cool, and I'm glad it works for your games, but it totally destroys the reasoning for using the phrases "line of sight" and "target what they see."

Is this question directed at me?
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 4 2006, 03:34 PM)
See, the --dice-- inconjuction with the character's abilities can tell you when the character is looking the other way.

Yeah, if you want to completely ignore what I said and instead let the dice determine what the guy does. I said he isn't looking around. Your response was "make him look around." Yeah, that makes sense. And you totally ignored the part about him being held and unable to look around.

rotfl.gif

Damn you are slow on the uptake. Ok, nice and slow:

You...are...creating...the...requirement...for...facing...rules...by...making...up...facing...rules.

There is no real rules mechanic for a normal state character with a fixed stare until you make up the rules for it yourself.

Yeah, there's flanking, but that's just a red herring that has nothing to do with sneaking up on someone unseen. Nice try though.

ohplease.gif Er, no it isn't . Why do you want to sneak up on someone in combat? To do crap to them. You did say there was no sneaking in combat, that everyone saw everything all the time .... Beside the fact that I've already covered that sneaking up to someone in combat is effectively the same damn thing as sneaking up to them outside combat. That you are handling it so different is really, once again, you going off and making your own rules.

Er, no actually it doesn't at all. The only problem that is created is by the assumption of this made up idea of a lengthless instant in time, which itself brings with it other problems.
Shrike30
Shaaaaaaadoooooowruuuuuuuun.... indifferent.gif
Dissonance
Dragging up a point from the very freaking beginning of this whole debacle?

The Hand thing? I think that one is _expressly_ mentioned in the SR3 FAQ as being the acme of retardation.
blakkie
QUOTE (Dissonance)
The Hand thing? I think that one is _expressly_ mentioned in the SR3 FAQ as being the acme of retardation.

Yes it is and yes it is. Too bad large portions of the SR3 FAQ are themselves in direct competiton for the title of "acme of retardation". frown.gif
Dissonance
Well. Here's another thought I had while just spinning around in circles in order to keep everybody in my LOS. (I Ride Spinnaz)

Cone-shaped magic, a la old-school shotguns. I will take this time to duck under the table and hide while the next shitstorm comes up.
blakkie
*does some quick trig to try figure out if he can blast the hiding Dissonance using an old school OD&D Cone of Cold*
Shrike30
QUOTE (Dissonance)
Cone-shaped magic, a la old-school shotguns.

I suddenly had this really strong mental image of a chihuahua with one of those cones on its head casting AoE spells.
blakkie
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ May 4 2006, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (Dissonance @ May 4 2006, 02:07 PM)
Cone-shaped magic, a la old-school shotguns.

I suddenly had this really strong mental image of a chihuahua with one of those cones on its head casting AoE spells.

Please report to the Drop Bear thread immediately, brother. rotfl.gif
Dissonance
O SHI WIRE FRAMES AND BATTLEMAPS.

Admittedly, I like battlemaps. It's just that for stuff like SR? You don't really, well. NEED them. Or if you do, you're going to have to have a damn big one.

Miniatures? When I played back in my non-sucky location? We used glass beads that we bought in bulk from craft stores.
blakkie
I still like battlemats for SR, but more for describing the area and getting a go tactical grasp for the situation. I'm a little weak on building a model out of someone's verbal description. Being a good tablemate by waiting my turn to ask the GM clarifying questions doesn't help that at all.

I just would rather not use the squares to any particular scale or doing a D&D 5' counting march across the mat.
Dissonance
I like the idea of using tape measures, but, honestly, I can't think of too many situations where it'd be all that important. Distances can certainly be abstracted. The bigger ones, I think, would be the location of guys relative to other guys.

Especially when dropping magic or grenades or explosives or wide bursts or pretty much anything that involves multiple target hitting.
James McMurray
Is this question directed at me?

If you want to answer it. smile.gif

There is no real rules mechanic for a normal state character with a fixed stare until you make up the rules for it yourself.

So what you're saying is that people don't just look at stuff? because that would require facing rules? I completely agree that there's no mechanic for it, but there shouldn't have to be. If someone isn't looking at you, they don't see what you do. Who needs rules for it? All you need is way to determine which direction they're looking (i.e. their facing).

Why do you want to sneak up on someone in combat? To do crap to them.

Or, oh, I don't know... not be seen?

That you are handling it so different is really,

When did I say I handled it differently? I gave a few examples and questions. I never said they were exclusive situations.

And I go back, for the third time, to the question you continue to ignore: if someone cannot possibly move their head, can you walk up to them unseen? If so, from which direction? If not, why not?

Er, no actually it doesn't at all. The only problem that is created is by the assumption of this made up idea of a lengthless instant in time, which itself brings with it other problems.

Like I said, I'm glad it works in your games.

Shaaaaaaadoooooowruuuuuuuun....

The examples used could all also apply in a shadowrun game witht he exception of the errant mention of flanking rules. Instead of making it so that the character doesn't get a spot check because of where he's facing, he would not get a visual perception test. It isn't the D&D rules themselves whose lack of facing causes problems, it's any system that doesn't have facing and suddenly finds itself needing to know where someone is looking. Adding facing to a game comes with it's own set of problems, but does manage to solve the ones it's meant to solve.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 4 2006, 04:33 PM)

So what you're saying is that people don't just look at stuff?

I'm saying in the SR rules there are no descrete facing rules. What you are doing by defining the person as facing one way is making up the descrete facing rule.

Yes a character could be facing one way a whole IP as an IC fluff description. Repeat, as an IC fluff description. As i've mentioned. There just are no rules for a character that *could* turn their head for facing fixed that way. So using that state as an input for mechanics is unsound with no rules basis.

This is exactly the same as you are doing in D&D. Creating a mechanics state for a normal character that simply does not exist in the rules. DOES NOT EXIST.
James McMurray
Um... I already know there aren't facing rules. that's what we're talking about. Something not existing in the rules doesn't mean it can't exist in the game, at least not most games I've played. especially something as simple as looking at stuff.

But if it works for your games, like I already said, that's great.

And for the third time you ignore that there are times when the rules themselves (via whatever system your using's ability to paralyze someone) may require you at some point to need to know which direction someone is looking. Ah well. I figured I might have an interesting discussion but instead apparently found someone who only replies to things they feel they can "beat" and ignores the rest.

Have a nice day. smile.gif
Kanada Ten
If someone isn't looking at you, they don't see what you do. Who needs rules for it?

There are rules for it. It's called a perception test. Casting a spell requires a perception test. I can cast a spell with myself as the center and affect everyone around me provided I get enough successes on my perception test to overcome any modifiers or opposed tests. RAW.
James McMurray
Can you provide a page reference where it states that you can cast spells at everything around you? My book says you have to be able to see your targets, which generally requires looking at them, which can only be done i the direction your eyes are currently facing.
Kanada Ten
The first paragraph of the Spell Casting section, SR4 page 173.
James McMurray
I'm 15 miles away from my book. Is it a large section or could you paraphrase? If not, that's cool. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 4 2006, 05:19 PM)
I'm 15 miles away from my book. Is it a large section or could you paraphrase? If not, that's cool. smile.gif

Lordy man, you claim with sarcastic certainity what -your- books says but you don't have it? You seem to have a hard time following post to post. I shudder to think what your memorized version of the rules looks like. nyahnyah.gif

What -your- book reads:

A spellcaster can target anyone or anything
she can see directly with her natural vision.

Then later in the AoE section:

Area spells aff ect all valid
targets within the radius of eff ect, friend and foe alike (including
the caster).

I could copy and paste the whole rest of the book, but as discussed previously with Apathy there is no where that states that a instantaneous momement requirement. So basically anything they can, as in they have the possibility of seeing, becomes a target if it falls within the AoE discussed elsewhere in that section. Including the caster, explicitly mentioned, which i believe was the original question.
James McMurray
You find it hard to believe that I can remember the general rules but can't remember what paragraph X on page Y says? Okely dokely.

It also doesn't state that it isn't an instantaneous moment. You use your house rule, I'll use mine. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 4 2006, 06:53 PM)
It also doesn't state that it isn't an instantaneous moment. You use your house rule, I'll use mine. smile.gif

Not making rules up isn't a "house rule". rotfl.gif You are making up rules, i am not. The thing about looking around is just -explaining- how the abstraction that is already in the rules as written can map to an IC explaination of what is going on.

It still stands that:
1) you are making up rules, and thet making up rules to deal with those made up rules
2) the facing rules you are making up aren't required because the rules have abstracted away any need to worry about facing

P.S. It's not so much your memory, it is just that you didn't actually understand and store the meaning of what the hell you read to start with.
James McMurray
The rules do not state how long it takes to target someone. I opt for an instant. You opt for a whole turn (or at least long enough to look all around you). Since we're both using a rule that does not exist, we're both using house rules. When something does not exist in the RAW and you choose how to handle it, you're using a house rule.

I think I've held my posts to the rules as much as possible. When I don't remember a rule I tell what I do remember, and state that I might be wrong (usually via an "IIRC"). You instead like to make up rules and then claim you aren't. We both chose different paths in life. I disagree with yours, but it apparently works for you.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 4 2006, 09:09 PM)
I think I've held my posts to the rules as much as possible.

As much as possible while you are making up extraneous rules. rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Give it up mental midget. Good night.
James McMurray
Ah, the old "I'm beaten so I'll toss one last insult and flee" maneuver. I was wondering when you'd fall back on your old standby.

Good night! smile.gif
mfb
i rarely get a chance to laugh as hard as i have while reading this thread. i'd like to thank you both.
James McMurray
You're welcome. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
so, can we say that for simplisitys sake:

if you can draw a line between a person inside the area of effect and the caster, and not get a blind fire because of some physical object blocking the path (thereby eliminating the hand and AR trick, alltho the looking thru a keyhole trick can still work), the person is hit by the spell.

when in dout, have the caster roll a perception check to "lock on" to the target(s) at the moment of casting.

yes, this could lead to someone being surrounded and dropping a powerbolt or similar at his own location. as that is equivalent to holding an amount of explosives and detonating it, i dont have a problem with it hitting anyone around the caster (including the caster himself).
James McMurray
Yes, you can say that. Not everyone will agree, but then again, they don't have to. smile.gif
Apathy
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 4 2006, 04:32 PM)
So basically your problem with looking around while casting is created by the assumption of your own creation, and not really anything [as far as you know] in SR canon past or present? Did you happen to notice my last paragraph where i point out a problem with that assumption of yours?

I think we're all opperating with some assumptions here. Since the rules don't explicitly say one way or another we have to interpret them in a way that makes common sense to us. You and I don't agree about what makes the most sense in this case, but I can easily see how you interpret the rules the way you do. In my opinion, it really doesn't matter which way people interpret, as long as they do so consistently and as long as all players understand ahead of time how it's being played.

As you pointed out, the actual canon references say:
Area spells aff ect all valid targets within the radius of eff ect, friend and foe alike (including the caster).

and that to be a valid target you have to be able to see it
A spellcaster can target anyone or anything she can see directly with her natural vision.

I think where the interpretation comes in here is how we read the "anything s/he can see directly" part of the phrase.
  • I could say that you can only see those things that your specificly looking at, at the moment of your casting.
  • I could say that it might count as 'seeing' as long as you've seen the target that combat pass.
  • I could say that the rule says 'can' see, not 'does' see, and use that to infer that I don't actually need to see the target (i.e. he's behind me, but i could've seen him if I had turned around).
  • Maybe the wording just refers to an uninterupted straight line between the caster and myself. If that's true, I never need to look at a target (either for a single-target spell or for an AOE spell.) I could cast with my eyes closed and not astrally percieving, as long as nothing was between me and the target. If this is true, I would then be confused why canon also says that visibility modifiers (smoke, darkness, etc.) apply to spellcasting.
In reference to the problem you have with my assumption (that the field of vision would be smaller), I was guesstimating the limits of peripheral vision on a normal person. You can't actually focus on someone in your periphery, but you can 'see' them in a limited sense. I would have no problem restricting the arc to something smaller (120 degrees? 100?) if the players agreed to it ahead of time and thought that was better.
hobgoblin
thing is that LOS do not imply that you have to actualy see it, but if you try to, there should be nothing obscuring the target.

LOS basicly means a clear and direct line from you to the target, kinda like if you tryed to point a laser at him...
Kremlin KOA
I find myself agreeing with Blakkie

MFB I'm scared, hold me
mfb
there, there, nothing to be afraid of. even a rabid, senile clock is right twice a day.

zing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012