Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Area effect spells and line of sight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Shrike30
This topic has nothing to do with trying to drop AE spells on people around the corner down a hallway nyahnyah.gif

Our mage decided the other day that the most effective way he had of neutralizing a bunch of people in the same elevator he was in was stunball. Anybody he could see, obviously, was a valid target. In our games, we've ruled that the CASTER is also a valid target because he's got LOS to his own aura, which surrounds him.

The oddball questions come from how, exactly, Line of Sight is defined.

Can he protect his sammie buddy in the elevator by having the sammie stand behind him, where he can't "see" him but you can draw LOS on the Astral (and in real life, actually)?

Is your "LOS" just a cone that extends from your eyes outwards, or does it radiate from them in a sphere (keeping with the eyes being the center of LOS prevents things like sticking your hand around the corner and frying somebody you can't see physically)?

Do some of his targets have cover if they're got another person standing between him and the mage, thus providing a penalty for some of the people in the area of effect?

If so, how would you figure this in, since the mage only makes one roll?
stevebugge
I think it is the field of vision primarily, though just awareness of a target may be enough in the case of obscured targets. We've never had a situation where the caster would be caught in their own AE spell, mostly because my players just prefer single target spells for precision. I believe mages are supposed to use cover modifiers for casting, though you make a good point in the single roll issue. In SR4 perhaps the targets could have the cover modifier as extra dice to oppose the spell.
bustedkarma
IIRC in the Book, it talks about a caster being able to select targets for AOE, using some kinda goofy ass radiowave analogy to explain how it works. Something about "tuning" his spell into the "signals" of Auras he wants to affect.

In my game, we take it on a spell by spell basis. I think if your casting some AOE Fire spell, and Unholy Softballs of Flame are falling from the sky, then everyone caught in the radius of the spell is gonna take damage.

I think you could take Stunball either way. I'm thinking it is basically using magical energy to mess with the CNS or some such shit, and cause you to take a nap. I think you could be mildly selective in who your targets were.
mfb
it talks about what? where?
blakkie
The sidebar "Theories On The Nature of Magic", page 166-167. In part this reads:

QUOTE (On the Manipulation of Mana)

Magical skills are defined as the manipulation of mana.
Sorcery is the manipulation of mana to create effects known
as spells; Conjuring manipulates mana to call forth, create, or
affect spirits.

Sorcery involves the intuitive manipulation of the mana
field by a magician, who shapes it in certain ways for certain
effects. A good metaphor for this is to equate the mana field
with the airwaves, making the use of Sorcery the transmission
of certain radio signals that create different effects. To
cast a spell, a magician channels mana through herself and
transmits it on a specific frequency.
<snip>
Area-effect spells work roughly the same way, except
that instead of transmitting a signal to one target, the caster
sends the signal out on multiple frequencies corresponding
with the targets within the area of effect. If there are targets
within the area that the caster cannot see, they will not be
affected, because the caster cannot synchronize with them
to transmit the spell signal on a frequency they will receive.

I'm not entirely convinced of it's quality as a metaphor. Especially for indirect combat spells.
bustedkarma
what he said.
Dashifen
It works fine for indirects, you're just tuning in on the frequency of a location and not a target. thus the target can dodge out of the way if they get lucky.
blakkie
QUOTE (Dashifen)
It works fine for indirects, you're just tuning in on the frequency of a location and not a target. thus the target can dodge out of the way if they get lucky.

The part i don't like is how it is easy to come away with the tuning to the auras impression that bustedkarma did. Which isn't really in there. Metaphors are about making it easier to correctly understand what is going on, and that is where i think it somewhat fails. If they addressed it more clearly, putting in effectively what you just said, that would likely help a lot.

I guess that would make the problem more with the execution of explaining the metaphor rather than the basis of the metaphor. *shrug*
James McMurray
That quote in no way addresses the ability to leave targets out of a spell's area if you can see them.
Dashifen
QUOTE (James McMurray)
That quote in no way addresses the ability to leave targets out of a spell's area if you can see them.

True.
mfb
good god. that's the worst metaphor ever.
James McMurray
good god. that's the most obvious overstatement ever.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 3 2006, 12:24 PM)

No, that part is in the rules somewhere i think. I just tossed that quote up because i assume mfb hadn't seen it, and bustedkarma was slightly misrepresenting it.

The part about seeing your aura and targeting it is kind of suspect, but if I just go off the old heirarchy model of touch is as good as LOS and can substitute for LOS in a spell. Not sure that is even any SR3 book, it might just be one of those nearly universal house rules or a holdover from previous SR editions.

In any event page 173 does say that ALL valid targets in the AoE are affected, and even specifies the caster among those that can be a valid target of an AoE. It doesn't say anything about being able to purposely exclude an otherwise valid target, and that quote does say talk about it being intuitive which sometimes has the conataiton of being somewhat outside the direct concious control.

So yes, the caster would be cooking thierself with the Stunball. The part about the sammie standing behind, and especially the part about peripheral vision? Best to handle that by pointing out that such things cut both ways, particularly with protecting via Counterspelling, but also just general Perception checks too. So pick a consistant thing and go with that.

My personal recommendation? Worrying about what the mage is looking at gets into facing rules, a place of great despair. Screw the facing rules.
James McMurray
You just need a facing decision at the moment he casts. For that it's pretty easy to pick an arc and include everything whose location intersects with that arc and the spell's area.
mfb
i dunno. if you allow that, why not allow holding a hand in front of your eyes to block certain targets?
Apathy
QUOTE (Shrike30)
The oddball questions come from how, exactly, Line of Sight is defined.

Can he protect his sammie buddy in the elevator by having the sammie stand behind him, where he can't "see" him but you can draw LOS on the Astral (and in real life, actually)?

Is your "LOS" just a cone that extends from your eyes outwards, or does it radiate from them in a sphere (keeping with the eyes being the center of LOS prevents things like sticking your hand around the corner and frying somebody you can't see physically)?

Do some of his targets have cover if they're got another person standing between him and the mage, thus providing a penalty for some of the people in the area of effect?

If so, how would you figure this in, since the mage only makes one roll?

There was a long painful discussion on another thread where we tried to resolve whether astral perception was 360 degrees or just a cone of perception roughly equating to physical sight, and whether it should eminate from the face/eyes or from center of mass, or from any part of the body. I don't think we ever succeeded in getting people to agree.

In my view, astral perception works like sight on the astral plane: eminates from face, blindfolds block it (no 'but my aura extends past my body, so I can see around the blindfold' stuff), only works along a roughly 200 degree arc.

Using this philosophy, if you can't see a target, then you don't hit him, even if he's standing right behind you. For that matter, you don't see him even if he's standing behind you and touching you. You also wouldn't see the target if another body is in the way and prevents you from seeing him (i.e. the dwarf riding inside the troll's backpack).

I think that cannon implies that you don't have to see the entire target to cast, but I've also ruled that only seeing part of the target gives you a threshold modifier (hard to synch up auras if you can't see the whole aura). I'm pretty sure that's a house rule though (not canon).
James McMurray
Sure, pick a subset of your arc, and then we'll make a roll of some sort to ensure that your head didn't get jostled by your bullet dodging and/or the people you're trying to avoid didn't slip over into that area as part of their bullet dodging (or whatever other reasons they may have for moving around).

I would let a mage maneuver himself so that the people he doesn't want to hit have full cover from where he's standing. There isn't really a big difference between those two except that one requires movement and the other a free action.
mfb
not a houserule. SR4 page 173 notes that visibility modifiers, including cover, are applied to the spellcasting test.

i think allowing mages to block their LOS with their hands, or even turn their heads to avoid seeing friendly targets, opens a massive can of worms that would lead to horrible abuse in many gaming groups. the only way i could see it working is if you just applied a flat penalty to the spellcasting test for each target you want to disinclude. and even then, i wouldn't allow it in my games (mainly because i use custom metamagics to achieve that end result).
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 3 2006, 12:53 PM)
You just need a facing decision at the moment he casts. For that it's pretty easy to pick an arc and include everything whose location intersects with that arc and the spell's area.

Then what do you do for Counterspelling? Ignore it again?

Turn away from the Path of Facing Despair, young man, and embrace the all-seeing mystical third eye that allows you to see all that you could see. Such is the way of playing a game that does not degrade to sketching 3D diagrams to determine if a particular odd natural cave entrance allows the mage to zap a kobold further back in the cave with magic missle without allowing them to shoot the mage with a bow.

Yes i've seen that, and yes i left the game at the end of that session never to return again until someone else started GMing. It wasn't the only example of such goofiness, but it was one of the most startling and ones....before i left. The small "two or three session" adventure of going to a cave and wacking some kobolds eventually took 6 months of realtime to finish. indifferent.gif
Big D
Heh. That's why I prefer AOE that works like D&D fireball (3.0+). LOS from caster is used to determine allowed detonation points. Once a point is chosen, caster LOS doesn't matter a hill of beans; the detonation point is used for determining LOS/cover to all targets.

That said, based on RAW, I would call AOE spells to be like a magic missile that hits any target within the caster's LOS and the detonation point's range, regardless of whether the detonation point has LOS on the target. Crazy, but that's what it looks like to me.

And yes, RAW does *appear* to let you do the "I can't see you" trick. Lame, and I think the rule needs to be clarified, but it looks legal. I would recommend that any player trying to do that face a roll to determine if he actually succeeded in blocking his view of a friendly during the middle of a shootout. If said friendly is grappling with a target, I would expect the TH to be so high that only a longshot roll could pull it off.
James McMurray
QUOTE (blakkie)

Nope, you let it work as written, protecting thsoe the caster designates.

Alternatively, when placing your minis on the mat, you face them in the direction they're facing. If someone is in front fo the caster they're shielded. If behind, they're not.

Alternatively, whenever an enemy spell is cast you ask the party mage(s) which way they're looking.

I'm not saying that facing is mandatory, or even useful to everyone. It isn't a pit of despair though, at least not when handled with some restraint.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Big D)
If said friendly is grappling with a target, I would expect the TH to be so high that only a longshot roll could pull it off.

I wouldn't even let a longshot roll pull it off unless there was a massive size differential between the grapplers and the mage spent his movement for the turn circling the fight looking for his chance to cast. Some things just aren't possible, with or without luck.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 3 2006, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 3 2006, 02:06 PM)

Nope, you let it work as written, protecting thsoe the caster designates.

Designates AND stays within LOS! (bottom right of page 175)
James McMurray
There you have it. If the caster looks away, counterspelling is broken. I actually like that, as it makes it possible for someone to sneak up o the party with a power ball. Since it takes a free action (IIRC) to declare counterspelling, the mage may sometimes find himself having to redeclare while in combat.

If you need a facing all the time in a combat, minis are the way to go (with a few house rules thrown into the mix to ensure that it doesn't go haywire). The only house rule I can think of offhand that we use is that you get one free spin per initiative pass that you can use if someone tries to move behind or around you or you otherwise need to be looking somewhere.

D&D's 360 degree field of vision works well for D&D, but it also has its downfalls (like never being able to sneak up on someone once you shift to a battlemat without introducing house rules involving facing), and "how is it I can see everything around me during combat but not outside of it?"

Neither options is "the right one." I've found that a mix of the two works best for me.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ May 3 2006, 12:35 PM)
good god. that's the worst metaphor ever.

A bit strong on the language, but i think we can still chalk that up as three for three. I think it might be time to atone for my sins lest i be Left Behind. wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 3 2006, 01:17 PM)
There you have it. If the caster looks away, counterspelling is broken. I actually like that, as it makes it possible for someone to sneak up o the party with a power ball. Since it takes a free action (IIRC) to declare counterspelling, the mage may sometimes find himself having to redeclare while in combat.

But where are they looking at that exact moment? And what are you suggesting? That the mage checks his wristwatch (please ignore the SR4 anacronism) or even just blinks and he has to redeclare because he momentarily wasn't looking at his teammates?

If you need a facing all the time in a combat, minis are the way to go (with a few house rules thrown into the mix to ensure that it doesn't go haywire). The only house rule I can think of offhand that we use is that you get one free spin per initiative pass that you can use if someone tries to move behind or around you or you otherwise need to be looking somewhere.

Down the path of [adhoc] Facing rules you go. Now start spinning that into 3D, because the world is an awkward place with all its catwalks, trenches, mezzanines, and such.

D&D's 360 degree field of vision works well for D&D, but it also has its downfalls (like never being able to sneak up on someone once you shift to a battlemat without introducing house rules involving facing), and "how is it I can see everything around me during combat but not outside of it?"

Methinks you are quite mistaken. There are the skills Hide, Move Silently, Spot, and Listen (though having two different sets of skills handling it makes it awkward at times, i'm not sure if there is anything better in the splatbooks or in the 3.5 books for handling that consistantly).

EDIT: My PC actually used his Spot skill in his last combat. Damn teleporting Bone Deamon tried to hijack our moored boat but my rogue made his Spot check and laid low that little demonic pirate wannabe. Got SA damage too because i'd gone into Hiding before we brought down the Wall of Ice the Bone Deamon had put up and had spent the entire battle up until then watching for a good bow shot opportunity. smile.gif

Neither options is "the right one." I've found that a mix of the two works best for me.

I've found it much better to 'keep it simple and abstract, fight the "realism" reflex, and punt at the first strong whiff of facing rules'.

EDIT: But then i'm not a BattleTech player. *shrug*
James McMurray
Counterspelling facing: if he's sitting in the back of the van, no worries, If he's sitting in the front seat, there's trouble.

3D: Yeah, so? What works in 2D works in 3D, you just use a cone instead of an arc.

Hide does not allow you to walk up behind someone without facing, because you have to have cover or concealment to hide. If someone is staring intently at a scroll and you ignore facing altogether, you can't sneak up on them. If you only ignore facing in combat, then they can be staring intently at that same scroll out of combat and be vulnerable, but suddenly all knowing when they switch to a battle grid.
James McMurray
QUOTE (blakkie)

LOL! See, facing has it's place, and a usable ruleset for them is possible. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray)
If someone is staring intently at a scroll and you ignore facing altogether, you can't sneak up on them.

rotfl.gif That's an interesting interpretation.

You can't go into a Hide while under observation UNLESS you create a distraction with a Bluff. But after you are in the Hide you are good to go. Certainly in combat is no different than out of combat, other than you are somewhat more certain there are enemies around, there is the noise of battle interfering with your hearing, and time becomes much more critcial so you might risk faster movement rates.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 3 2006, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 3 2006, 02:30 PM)

LOL! See, facing has it's place, and a usable ruleset for them is possible. smile.gif

A sledge hammer is a very useful and usable tool as well. Just not for painting easter eggs. nyahnyah.gif
James McMurray
You can't go into a Hide while under observation UNLESS you create a distraction with a Bluff.

So you have to get someone's attention, distract them, then sneak past?

But after you are in the Hide you are good to go.

You can't get into hide just by having someone looking away from you if you ignore facing altogether.

Certainly in combat is no different than out of combat, other than you are somewhat more certain there are enemies around, there is the noise of battle interfering with your hearing, and time becomes much more critcial so you might risk faster movement rates.

I'm not talking about moving silently, I'm talking about hiding. You can move silently anywhere and anywhen, but it's not very useful on its own without something to keep them from seeing you.

You cannot walk up behind someone on a battle grid in combat just by virtue of them being compeltely distracted by the massive battle going on before them, unless you use some sort of facing (even if that's just the GM saying that he's not looking at you). Sure, you can make a skill check for a bluff, but there are countless situations where you should be able to sneak up on someone without having to take an action to distract him first.

A sledge hammer is a very useful and usable tool as well. Just not for painting easter eggs.

True, but not very useful to the topic. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 3 2006, 02:08 PM)
You can't go into a Hide while under observation UNLESS you create a distraction with a Bluff.

So you have to get someone's attention, distract them, then sneak past?

Um, you create the distraction somewhere you AREN'T. So no YOU don't get their attention, something else of your choice gets their attention. But if you are Hidden already no need to do that. Just sneak on by....assuming the guy rolls crap.

But after you are in the Hide you are good to go.

You can't get into hide just by having someone looking away from you if you ignore facing altogether.

What is this "looking away" you speak of, and why does it have the stench of facing rules about it? Yes, if you don't worry about facing rules you don't need facing rules. If you worry about facing rules you need facing rules. That certainly doesn't seem to me to be a very startling revelation. nyahnyah.gif

Certainly in combat is no different than out of combat, other than you are somewhat more certain there are enemies around, there is the noise of battle interfering with your hearing, and time becomes much more critcial so you might risk faster movement rates.

I'm not talking about moving silently, I'm talking about hiding. You can move silently anywhere and anywhen, but it's not very useful on its own without something to keep them from seeing you.

You cannot walk up behind someone on a battle grid in combat just by virtue of them being compeltely distracted by the massive battle going on before them, unless you use some sort of facing (even if that's just the GM saying that he's not looking at you). Sure, you can make a skill check for a bluff, but there are countless situations where you should be able to sneak up on someone without having to take an action to distract him first.

If he doesn't know you are there and doesn't notice you come up? Boom, you got him and can pantz him or whatever. It is like a Surprise in the middle of combat, which can happen. Your misunderstanding seems to stem from the misconcepton that there is something different about combat versus outside combat where someone in combat gets to make all their Spot/Listen rolls automatically.

A sledge hammer is a very useful and usable tool as well. Just not for painting easter eggs.

True, but not very useful to the topic. smile.gif

P&P RPG <-----> Miniature Game.

Similar but different. If you want to turn your RPG into a miniatures combat games, hey good on you and break out the facing rules, the tape measure, field of view arc template, and what have you! But miniatures combat games do tend to concentrate on minutiae of the battle and in P&P that result is often seen as "bogging", just as painting with a sledgehammer is often seen as "smashing" (the comedian Gallagher aside). So it would seem quite relavent to the topic.

But exactly how did this get sidetracked to D20 again? Oh ya, you worried about facing rules in D&D so you added facing rules.

EDIT:
3D: Yeah, so? What works in 2D works in 3D, you just use a cone instead of an arc.

...and next thing you know you're doing geotrig trying to figure how many 1/10's of a m from the catwalk the elf can be and still have the dwarf (who is in just off to the elf's left, leaning over to draw his combat knife from his leg sheath) and the Troll (overhead on the catwalk to the right) in LOS at the same time.
mfb
haha, wow. i'll be right back. forgot my popcorn.
blakkie
While you are there could you pick up up one of those "6 hour on the grill" hotdogs? No condiments please, they'll just splatter all over the place when i use it to wack McMurray.

What? You think i'd actually eat those? Nobody eats those, they're just for decoration. nyahnyah.gif

P.S. Make sure to take your ticket stub with you or bastards won't let you back in. frown.gif
hobgoblin
i just wish they would forget about the direct stuff completly. that way things would not be so messy. that, or allow the person to increase the drain on the power bolt by the number of people he wants to hit with it...
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 3 2006, 02:51 PM)
..... or allow the person to increase the drain on the power blot by the number of people he wants to hit with it...

At first blush that seems like a pretty good idea to me.

So no more Power Ball. Just a Power Bolt with a drain of F/2 +1 and extra box of drain per extra target. Not even bother with "all must be within X meters of each other" crap. If you see 'em you can zap 'em. It does save the mage learning that extra Spell, and it does make the drain a box lower for only 2 targets. But if you want to cut a 5 mook swath you'll want to save those foci dice for the Drain test because it is going to hurt.
hobgoblin
and beyond x number of targets within y area, your better of rolling out the fireball...
Big D
Personally, I'd like to see all AOE spells work like D&D fireball.

Pick a point in LOS. Then all effects are based upon LOS/cover from that point.

Also, with counterspelling, I prefer the idea that as long as you *could* see a counterspelling target by turning your head (you can draw LOS to them, regardless of facing or arc), you have them "locked in" and counterspelling works.

But, at this point, I'm rather confused about RAW. Heck, are indirect AOEs limited by the caster LOS conditions stated on 173 or not?

I'm a little frustrated that there are so many things in RAW that are causing so much confusion and arguement. It's almost like we're debating THAC0.
hobgoblin
that is exactly how indirect AOE combat spells work now. its only the direct AOE ones that have this wierd LOS demand. problem is that if you remove it, why have indirect AOE?

or as this thread is pointing out, why have indirect combat spells at all? outside of the classical fireballs?
mfb
you know what i'd do, if i could block out certain targets and thereby miss them with AOE spells? i'd get some AR glasses and give everyone in my crew IFF transponders. the AR glasses would automatically block out my friends when i cast a spell. it'd block out me, too, of course. i'd need a program to handle the blocking, but if the Edit program can generate believable trideo on the fly, i'm pretty sure it could handle this.
James McMurray
Um, you create the distraction somewhere you AREN'T. So no YOU don't get their attention, something else of your choice gets their attention. But if you are Hidden already no need to do that. Just sneak on by....assuming the guy rolls crap.

Which still leaves you the problem of not being able to sneak up on someone without somehow interacting witht heir environment first, because you have to do something to get taht bluff check.

What is this "looking away" you speak of, and why does it have the stench of facing rules about it?

So people in your games have eyes all the way around their heads? Interesting idea, but I wouldn't use it. Of course, I already said that what works for you is fine for you. smile.gif

Let me lay out a scenario.

The party is in a fight with a monster in the middle of a large field. Because this monster is much more powerful than them, all of their attention is focused on fighting it. Despite that, you cannot stroll up casually behind them and say hello, because even while being intent on one thing they are still completely aware of their environment.

A step further: someone gets hit with Hold Person. Do they still get to see anything and everything around them despite being unable to move their eyes?

I'm not saying ignoring facing is a bad thing. I even said it works within D&D because that's what the system was based around. It's what my group does when we play d20. All I'm saying is that ignoring facing has it's own problems. You have apparently handwaved those problems away by giving everyone eyes all over their head. I'm glad that works for you.

P&P RPG <-----> Miniature Game.

Ah, perhaps a less vague analogy would have helped it squeeze past my thick skull. smile.gif

...and next thing you know you're doing geotrig trying to figure how many 1/10's of a m from the catwalk the elf can be and still have the dwarf (who is leaning over to draw his combat knife from his leg sheath) and the Troll overhead on the catwalk in LOS at the same time.

Nope, because we don't measure distances in tenths of meters. but even if we did there's be no need for something that close. The battlemat is an abstraction. Move the mini somewhere that looks feasible, say that's what's happening, and then move on with the turn.

And please leave your homosexual tendencies at the door. You;re not my type when I'm looking for a good wacking.

..... or allow the person to increase the drain on the power blot by the number of people he wants to hit with it...

And then contemplate the damage a single terrorist suicide bomber mage could do from atop a tall building on a clear day. EEK!

problem is that if you remove it, why have indirect AOE?

Most (all?) of the indirect AOE spells are elemental in nature, and so would have environmental side effects that a power ball wouldn't. For some that would be enough reason.
blakkie
QUOTE (Big D)
But, at this point, I'm rather confused about RAW. Heck, are indirect AOEs limited by the caster LOS conditions stated on 173 or not?

It certainly isn't only you that is confused. This is one of those debates that, from it's home in a dank sub-basement mechincal room, has long powered the posting aparatus of DSF. smile.gif

I'm a little frustrated that there are so many things in RAW that are causing so much confusion and arguement.  It's almost like we're debating THAC0.

This certainly is one area that i really wish SR4 would have cleaned up better. They did cut a lot of deadweight out, but i think they came short in taking it apart enough to put it back together in an easy to grok and implement form. Hobgoblin's suggestion is a great example of opportunity lost. frown.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (mfb)
you know what i'd do, if i could block out certain targets and thereby miss them with AOE spells? i'd get some AR glasses and give everyone in my crew IFF transponders. the AR glasses would automatically block out my friends when i cast a spell. it'd block out me, too, of course. i'd need a program to handle the blocking, but if the Edit program can generate believable trideo on the fly, i'm pretty sure it could handle this.

That sounds like a good idea. Give it a try. Be careful trying it in my game though, because it wouldn't give you a free pass... smile.gif

I wouldn't let it block yourself from LOS, but that's just my personal opinion on the LOS-to-self rules, and an entirely different debate altogether. smile.gif
mfb
explain to me how it's not a free pass. use logic.
James McMurray
I'm a little frustrated that there are so many things in RAW that are causing so much confusion and arguement.  It's almost like we're debating THAC0.

I've never had a THAC0 debate. How did those go? wink.gif

note: please don't answer, this is just a flippant remark about threads side tracking to D&D. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 3 2006, 03:21 PM)
So people in your games have eyes all the way around their heads? Interesting idea, but I wouldn't use it. Of course, I already said that what works for you is fine for you.

In my games people have heads that are connected to the rest of their body with a flexible material called "flesh" and a string of hard objects called vertabrae which are loosely fashioned to each other in a manner that allows them some range of pivoting. The flesh has this motor capability that allows it to control the yawn, pitch, and roll to the head. Then their eyes also have some motor control that allows them a measure of up and down and side to side control movement. All this allows the characters to see anywhere around themselves in a more or less full sphere, and in a surprisingly short period of time.

This is abstracted to just a full sphere. Why? To avoid trying to track where everyone is looking at each moment in time, and because a combat phase represents an actual length of time. Oh, and also because there is already enough shit going on in the combat mechanics without stacking another festering wad of detrital hubris on top of the pile.

You numbnuts. <---- This one is going out to all my fans, but especially for you Azralon. smile.gif
James McMurray
If you want to assume for simplicity's sake that everyone is constantly panning their heads back and forth and looking over their shoulders, good for you.

If my group has no problems adding facing to the game, good for us.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ May 3 2006, 03:47 PM)
If you want to assume for simplicity's sake that everyone is constantly panning their heads back and forth and looking over their shoulders, good for you.

If my group has no problems adding facing to the game, good for us.

You certainly seem to have problems actually understanding the D&D rules to begin with, and a lot of other things like what exactly constitutes a "free pass". So please excuse my enormous doubt about the quality of your judgement. ohplease.gif
James McMurray
That's ok, I think you're a moron too. smile.gif
blakkie
The difference being that you've actually managed to prove that you are a moron. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012