Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL professions?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
eralston
While I am in college, I think "student" didn't describe me nearly as well as "engineer". I am of the "Software" persuasion as well. If you're looking for an explanation on why people post, perhaps you should also start one on political parties and religion.

I too saw that Colbert Report and am still waiting for my Stud Fee.
Tiger Eyes
Who said it was? However, "frag" has no social ramifications. Real world swear words do. What that means is that some poor kid somewhere is going to get his shadowrun books thrown away because his fundamentalist mom saw swear words in it. The pseudo-cursing had no detrimental effects on the game world or the game. Actual cursing could.

rotfl.gif

I dunno... if the 'let's all go pretend to shoot people and steal stuff' part didn't get them taken away first... grinbig.gif
eralston
Yeah, I'd rather be fucked than killed...unless fucked meant both in which case I hope to get some fucking in before the end
emo samurai
That would be the best way of getting killed. It's better for it to happen while you're young and capable of having an erection.
James McMurray
That part didn't ever bother my parents when growing up with D&D. Mostly because they didn't really understand it. The naked pictures (despite being poorly drawn cartoons) did bother them.
emo samurai
In the game Illuminati, you can have video games control the Moral Minority. I wish it could, then I could eat the moral minority.
BnF95
Where does somebody doing 3 jobs file under?

I'm a chef, a licensed realtor, and a teacher. Got to pay off the bills somehow.
eidolon
Military. MI to be precise (which isn't precise at all...ha).

That is, I'm military for another 7 weeks. Then I'm a working musician again. Woohoo!

Actually, my plans involve doing whatever combination of playing music, running sound, renting out my PA equipment, bartending, and other sundry things that will make me money that it takes to avoid anything that can be classified as "work", in the sense of "working at a desk in a cubicle having your soul sucked out".

I'll probably go to school, since they're giving me 50k to do it. Going back to being a slacker is going to kick so much ass.
emo samurai
Why were you in the military if you hate it so much?
nick012000
I only hit the Engineer button because I saw it before the Student one. nyahnyah.gif

Another Engineering student here.
PBTHHHHT
Not sure what to pick... I'm an engineer, but I work at a huge office complex just like a wageslave, but I also just finished law school.
Dog
I bounce around between counselling and crisis work. Right now I'm on a community mental health team. Occasionally I teach self defense, or do a little TV or stage work.

One summer, I worked in a remote community working for a corrupt government performing violent and illegal acts for cash under the table. I wore a lot of black and some body armour, I was armed and I snuck into places at night. Does that make me the closest to a "real" shadowrunner we got here? Do I win something? biggrin.gif

(That was a stupid job, BTW. Fun, but dumb.)
Kagetenshi
What were you, ATF?

~J
Dog
ATF = Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms? No such thing around here. I had paperwork said I was a community cop. I got paid by a security company that existed for less than a year under the name of another guy who needed to justify his income. The local government was misusing funds (fairly common knowledge,) and I was "selectively" enforcing the law, making life difficult for certain people.

Keep in mind that this is in Canada, so it's a little different than some might be thinking.

(Edited. I was doing the edit while the next two entries came in.)
FanGirl
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.
emo samurai
I don't think that's what he means; these people really aren't the type to glorify the ATF.

And FanGirl? I responded to your thread; nice of me, huh?
eidolon
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Why were you in the military if you hate it so much?

You can't very well be certain you're going to like something unless you do it, right?

It's just that now that I've done it, the parts I don't like far outweigh the parts that I do. That's it, put simply.
Mister Juan
I'm a photographer... so should I guess that means I'm a freelancer? Man... that makes it sounds MUCH cooler!
emo samurai
If you describe yourself as a freelancer, you sound like you could be anybody: a contract killer, a rogue doctor who flips the bird to the AMA, or a hacker. But really, you're a computer programmer, or a writer, or, in your case, a photographer.
Shadow
I was in the millitary, I alternated between loving it and hating it. I think I would have liked it more if I had been an officer.
Zev
Student/Military (U.S. Army Reserve)
Oracle
Biological codegenerator. Some people would say "Software Developer".
Shrike30
I'm trained as an EMT... closest thing to that was Doctor nyahnyah.gif Seeking employment as we speak.
Kremlin KOA
still waiting for the pro criminals to admit it in the forum
Oracle
Do you really expect any lawyers or politicians to be here? biggrin.gif
Grinder
Student (Public Health) & Teacher of people with mental handicaps.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Oracle)

Frag off, Oracle! nyahnyah.gif
emo samurai
???
Butterblume
QUOTE (Oracle)

rotfl.gif

Let's see ...

I was in the Military (conscripted). The glorious Light Infantry, the only real soldiering twirl.gif.
When an accident nearly ripped a limb of (one of mine, of course), i was sent to the paperpushers in the defense Ministry. Gave me a good glance at the burocraptic mind.
[deleted a really interesting piece about life in the Ministry, because i am not really sure if my non-disclosure agreement with those guys all those years ago isn't still in effect ^^]

I was a student, physics and chemistry (and way to much math).
I was a student, computer science and economics (and way to much math).

I was a teacher, a lifeguard, a wage-slave, a freelancer.

I just vote student wink.gif.
eidolon
QUOTE (Butterblume)
[deleted a really interesting piece about life in the Ministry, because i am not really sure if my non-disclosure agreement with those guys all those years ago isn't still in effect ^^]

If it's anything like ours, you can damn well bet it is. smile.gif

And you guys can keep the "real soldiering". wink.gif
Aku
as alot, i dont know what to click, i'm a "production assistant" right now run camera's and am supposed tob e able to post news story's at one of the local tv stations here in greensboro
Ophis
I voted office esque wage slave, as there was no option for shop clerk, or till monkey as I refer to it.
MYST1C
I'm a university student (microbiology/genetics/zoology).

If you count my 10 months of conscript army time as a "job" I used to be a MBT gunner.
Witness
What, no scientist option? (genetics too, as it happens Mystic. Well- more genomics/bioinformatics these days)
Daddy's Little Ninja
I'm a corporate wage slave in RL. My husband was a professional soldier, then an insurance investigator and now manages other investigastors.
Sicarius
what about journalist?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Witness)
What, no scientist option? (genetics too, as it happens Mystic. Well- more genomics/bioinformatics these days)

I'm moderately surprised that I'm not the only bioinformaticist here.
Witness
We are a growing menace! wink.gif
Daddy's Little Ninja
Snow Fox and my husband both carry guns in RL.
Kagetenshi
Where does that come in? Or is their profession "gun-bearer"?

~J
Daddy's Little Ninja
Just talking about the people here becoming more dangerous. You could think f my husband as "PI." I guess. He looked into insurance fraud and stuff like that. I think Snow Fox is infamous here.
warrior_allanon
was USMC for 4 and a half years
grew up on a farm
trained as a hydraulic and diesel mechanic and worked as same for 4 and a half years
Gun nut and military history student.
strategic and tactical hobbiest

have played SR every weekend for about 7 years and have a definate grasp of the tactical aspect of the criminal mind.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
was USMC for 4 and a half years
grew up on a farm
trained as a hydraulic and diesel mechanic and worked as same for 4 and a half years
Gun nut and military history student.
strategic and tactical hobbiest

have played SR every weekend for about 7 years and have a definate grasp of the tactical aspect of the criminal mind.

Shadowrun dosen't have players and gamemasters.

It has criminals-in-training and devious masterminds.

Hey, since you have the skillz, why don't you pull a little run of your own, go to E3, infiltrate the hotel, and whack the sack-jobs responsible for the Shadowrun FPS.
DocMortand
Musician here, so I wish there is a "none of the above." I voted for teacher, since I nominally am one (have one student of piano.)
Moon-Hawk
Biomedical Engineer - Bioelectronics.
Currently doing brain research. Hopefully my next job (currently in a 4-year contract) will be designing early cyberware.
What can I say? Playing SR all through high-school will do that to your career path.
Witness
Cool stuff!
Skip
I'm a Tax Director. Very applicable to SR. smile.gif Oddly, I've never really played a character with corporate affiliations.

Skip
DeadNeon
By day, i'm generic office drone #8675309.

By night, i'm a struggling, sometimes-paid musician.
FanGirl
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ May 12 2006, 12:22 PM)

Hey, since you have the skillz, why don't you pull a little run of your own, go to E3, infiltrate the hotel, and whack the sack-jobs responsible for the Shadowrun FPS.

Why kill when you can blackmail? wink.gif
Shrike30
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
a definate grasp of the tactical aspect of the criminal mind.

... what exactly is the tactical aspect of the criminal mind?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012