Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Projection
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Nephyte
Now, I understand I was rude to you previously Polaris.

I thought however, you might like to know of a game called Hackmaster which is produced by Kenzer and Company under liscence. Whatever else might be said about it, it's actually a game that takes great joy in insisting everything be held to a canonical standard of gameplay (at least for HMA members: HMGMA 1400 something!).

BitBasher
to back up zazen here, read the entry for "Oversimplification" On This Page. It shows this is a valid tool, especially in this circumstance.
Polaris
Nephyte,

I consider this to be rude as well, at least by implication. I am well aware of Hackmaster, and I hate it for exactly the combative atmosphere it engenders. This is also one of my primary criticisms of Shadowrun as well. [That and the world and setting make no sense.....shadowrunners should not exist as independant contractors.]

That said, you can not simply push people aside, and hide from bad rules and pretend they don't exist. Bad rules do exist in SR....and in fact the game is full of them, and I have the right and obligation to point them out.

-Polaris

P.S. Zazen, the fallacy you are commiting is called "False Analogy" Tending fish has nothing to do with combat therefore it can not be used to attempt a Reductio ad absurbum. Done.
Polaris
Bitbasher,

Why don't we wait until WizKids comes back with an answer before you get too proud (because Zazen is attempting a false analogy which should be obvious even to you).

I fully expect you to eat some crow when I do get the reply.

-Polaris
Siege
Actually, given the existence of so many multi-national corporations within x-square blocks of each other, each having its own territorial jurisdiction, the "class" or "caste" of shadowrunner or independent expediter would inevitably manifest.

Especially considering the weakened Federal government.

Now, do I think it likely that so many "street" level characters would make it up the ranks? Maybe, maybe not -- virtual training being what it is.

It's not unlike professional criminals of today; there are successful hitmen who have long and distinguished careers working for various "F"amilies that only get caught because of snitches and similar deals.

Never mind how many crimes go unsolved yearly (etc. etc. etc.)

-Siege
Nephyte
Nephyte,

I consider this to be rude as well, at least by implication.

Yup, that's right. I'm insulting you by mentioning a game that I love, and happen to have payed 25 bucks American for no other reason then to support the idea of playing it by canon rulings.

Just let me start on the "You Momma" jokes to wound you further....

Polaris
Siege,

Actually no. Given the canonical wealth and power of the A, AA, and AAA corps, and given the implicit understanding that low-grade industrial espionage/sabotage is an acceptable business tool, and especially given the lack of power of most national governments, Shadowrunners simply should not exist at least as written in the books.

Consider this: Why spend tens or even hundreds of thousands of nuyen on "criminals that do horrific things for money" (to paraphrase Villiars) when you can have your own security personal whose loyalty is more or less assured to do the same jobs?

At best you would use these criminals as bait which would cause the market for independants to dry up pretty damn quickly.

As for deniability, that problem is really a non-issue. Even today, national governments send covert military and intelligence teams against each other all the time, and diability is never an issue.....it is simply how the game is played and everyone knows it.

-Polaris
mfb
the argument here is not about combat, polaris, it's about rules. in combat--actual combat--your gear can and will be damaged or destroyed by any number of causes. personally, i think the idea that you can be hit with a force 6 powerball and expect your wood-and-string dreamcatcher to pull through unharmed is absurd enough without dragging the poor fish into it.
Kanada Ten
Corporate Download gives the "reason" for shadowrunners. The Corporate Court can punish any corporation that engages in espionage/sabotage against another corporation or government. Which is what happened to Fuchi.

Shadowrun is supposed to be ridiculous; it's a "dark" parody world of our own.
Nephyte
Well, venturing off-topic even more so....

Consider this: Why spend tens or even hundreds of thousands of nuyen on "criminals that do horrific things for money" (to paraphrase Villiars) when you can have your own security personal whose loyalty is more or less assured to do the same jobs?

Cause that security personal is going to be looking at either 25 years in prison or giving up his employer. Quite frankly there's no upside for the security guy staying silent. Perhaps that is just me, because I can't grasp any security personal having a sense of "corporation pride" or "corporationalism" like a person would have towards their nation. The two concepts are entirely different from my perspective.

[Edit] K-10's explanation makes WAY more sense nyahnyah.gif
Siege
The problem lies in motivational loyalty:

American Spec Ops do some pretty dangerous stuff. Why? Motivation. Be it patriotism, religion or the occasional snake-eating nut, they believe in what they do.

While no spec-op soldier ever considers himself expendable, they do realize the potential for capture, death, torture and so on. But they still do it.

Can you inspire such motivation from wage employees? Maybe, maybe not. But with the amount of money it would take for a corp to develop it's own spec ops, why not go the infinitely more expendable and expedient route of hiring someone who's either

a) already trained
b) experienced
c) has a verifiable track record

I've had the displeasure of taking a class from a born accountant and accountants run businesses today. They think in terms of profit and loss to the absolute exclusion of anything else. This frag characterizes _everything_ in terms of a "winning" or "losing" transaction. And the vast majority of transactions, according to his philosophy, are losing ones. I'm waiting for the day when an accounting degree is required for every tactical commander in the field or they have to justify spending a $1000 per shell to clear a forward position.

Ranting aside, I have no doubts that this accounting professor would see the feasibility in hiring ex-SEALs rather than trying to produce their own resources: recruiting, training, equipping and so on.

Although AA and AAA corps would invest the money in spec units for their own security -- easier to support, maintain and keep alive. As opposed to being deployed deep within enemy territory. Governments, being what they are, are infamous for loving to waste money.

Compare that to dropping say $20,000 on four or five people who don't know who you are, can't be traced back to you, will either provide all their equipment or buy it from the "payment" they're receiving...I think it ends up being a good deal.

Maybe not from the shadowrunner's long-term perspective, but not everyone thinks along those lines. (unless you get in the adept vs samurai argument)

-Siege

Edit: And KT's explanation works too. grinbig.gif
Polaris
Kanada-Ten,

The problem is one of enforcement. It is not in the best interests of Corps to go to the Corp Court because of runners. They are better off trying to turn those runners and return the favor.

This has nothing to do with whether or not you can "prove" they are from a corp or not....and I can tell you from modern covert missions sponsered by governments, that a good government agency (or AAA corp in SR) can generate enough "paper" to "prove" enough plausible deniability to hold up in any Corp Court procedure. Of course no other Corp will believe it, but that's not the point now is it?

In short, Corp Download left me very unimpressed because the reason doesn't hold water.

-Polaris

Edit to Siege,

The problem is that Spec-Ops are a proven commodity for Natl Governments and A+ corps would almost certainly want some of their own. The reason:

LOYALTY

You can not put a price tag on loyalty and that is precisely why Megacorps would use their own people (with cut outs) rather than people off the street. Hardened criminals off the street are not loyal to you and can easily turn in your hand. In addition, they actually cost *more* (in the long term) than your own teams.

In short, no one would use them except perhaps as bait. They wouldn't be trusted *because* of their competance (the more competant, the more dangerous and untrustworthy they are).
BitBasher
What zazen is trying to show has nothing directly to do with combat, nor what you emailed to FanPro. And for the purspose which he is drawing that parelell his analogy is perfectly valid. His issue is one of common sense.

Of course no other Corp will believe it, but that's not the point now is it?
They HAVE to believe it for any corp court accord or decision to be carried out. The corp court is comprised of representatives from the AAA megas. Thats the point.
Polaris
Bitbasher,

1. Common sense is not common.

2. Common sense is often wrong.

-Polaris
BitBasher
Believe us Polaris, You have convinced me, and my others of that exact fact! rejoice! rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Polaris
Bitbasher,

You joke but I was being quite serious. That second point alone negates Zazen's entire argument.

Common sense is often wrong.

It is. The classic example is the "called shot" rule that allows you to bypass an armor spell.....and that is the rule.

When you start appealing to "common sense" in a rules discussion, you almost invariably have entered the realm of houserules.

-Polaris
Siege
Provided you are willing to spend a million dollars training someone who may get geeked the first time he twitches left instead of right.

I would also refer you to the criteria I listed:

1. experience
2. track record

Is this professional criminal willing to die for you? Maybe, maybe not. He'll certainly be motivated to stay alive since he knows that he has no recourse in court and his employer won't bail him out.

And if he betrays his employer, he'll find it difficult to get another job -- not that he will have the means of hurting his employer ("Yeah, it was some guy in a bar. Nice suit. Mr. Johnson. No, I'm not kidding...hey...watch those cattleAAAARRRGGGHHH!"). Not like a Renraku spec-op who spends a couple of weeks in intensive debriefing.

-Siege
Kanada Ten
Polaris
This has nothing to do with whether or not you can "prove" they are from a corp or not....and I can tell you from modern covert missions sponsered by governments, that a good government agency (or AAA corp in SR) can generate enough "paper" to "prove" enough plausible deniability to hold up in any Corp Court procedure. Of course no other Corp will believe it, but that's not the point now is it?

Good thing that the Corporate Court can use Mindprobe and whatever other means they choose to prove it then, eh? The Courporate Court makes rulings without the need for evidence. It makes ruling based on personal opinion, politics, and so on.

That's how the game is played.
Zazen
QUOTE (Polaris)
P.S. Zazen, the fallacy you are commiting is called "False Analogy" Tending fish has nothing to do with combat therefore it can not be used to attempt a Reductio ad absurbum.

You're wrong because the combat/noncombat distinction is irrelevant. I'll say it again, the lack of a rule is not a rule. This is true regardless of the classification as combat, noncombat, or anything else.

I think our discussion would be more productive if you'd stop using big words from internet rhetoric guides and rely instead on actual reasoning. If you weren't so blinded by your need to be right, I think you'd see that.
Polaris
Siege,

And how does a corp verify their "track" racord....and for that matter why would they bother? You are much better off using your own operatives whose training, records, experience, and reliability are known factors.

"Shadowrunning" occures today between major governments, and these teams are just as cutthroat as their fictional counterparts in SR.

No national government that I know of uses independents for any of these missions. They may be "independants" officially, but they really are not (plausible deniability) for exactly the reasons I have already mentioned.

Given that this is a proven technique (including plausible deniability) for governments, I see absolutely no reasons why megacorps with the budget and power of (and exceeding) a national government to do the same. In fact it seems likely to me.

-Polaris
Kanada Ten
Link, Polaris?
Polaris
Kanada,

Look up the declassified missions of the CIA, KGB, and OSS sometime. In addition to that w/r/t the Corp Court, the fact they can use Mind Probe (although how they do that on a space station is beyond me), would be yet another reason why no megacorp would go to the Corp Court. Besides, all the corp has to do is supply plausible deniability. If politics rules the day anyway, then the corp really has nothing to worry about.

Zazen,

Actually you are incorrect. In many cases the lack of a rule is in fact a rule. Just wait and see what WizKids has to say. I think you will find that this is such a case.

-Polaris
Siege
I've gone to some length to explain why a corp might not want their employees deployed in covert, unofficial and deniable missions.

Of course, given the tech of 2060, it's entirely possible to create soldiers and operators who literally know no fear, have no memory after signing on the dotted line and will have their active memory wiped for the x number of years they served in the corp "special projects" division.

(Hey, an interesting reason to take Amnesia...)

I'll point out that governments are far more willing to "waste" money on sending Green Berets to do drug interdictions and spy missions than a bottom-line minded corp.

Silly question -- just how much practical knowledge do you have on national governments and their covert operations?

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Reducto ad absurdum isn't a large phrase, it's a rather common one. I fundamentally disagree with most of Polaris' points, but I have to defend his use of the phrase.
Though I still say it's a valid technique.

~J

Postscript: everywhere I look it seems to be spelled reductio, but yet I lost points on a latin test some time ago for spelling it that way instead of reducto... common error, or should I go argue for my points?
Siege
Is it just me, or does Polaris come across as the Gary Gygax of Shadowrun?

-Siege
Polaris
Siege,

I can answer that to a degree. When I was in the US military, I reported to Ft. Meade MD although I was stationed in Alaska (officially).

That should be enough for those that are familiar with the US Alphabet soup.

-Polaris
Zazen
QUOTE (Polaris @ Oct 20 2003, 11:58 PM)
Actually you are incorrect.  In many cases the lack of a rule is in fact a rule.

Tell me how to tell the difference between the lacks that are rules (as in the case of indestructible gear), and the lacks that are not rules (outlawing tropical fish tanks). That is what I've been asking all along.
BitBasher
He needs to quadruple his lexicon, then yeah.

And then once again Polaris, if a lack of a rule is in fact a rule, then since there are no rules on feeding tropical fish, then tropical fish cannot be fed?
Nephyte
Is it just me, or does Polaris come across as the Gary Gygax of Shadowrun?

I don't think so Siege. Gygax posts on the Hackmaster boards every so often and the two have nothing in common personality wise.

Although I have always enjoyed what Gygax said about supposed "True Roleplayers." It amounted to something along the effect that they were nothing but wanna-be Thespians with stage fright, and real roleplayers needed some good ol' gore.
Kanada Ten
Polaris 
In addition to that w/r/t the Corp Court, the fact they can use Mind Probe (although how they do that on a space station is beyond me), would be yet another reason why no megacorp would go to the Corp Court.

So... CorpA catches some people breaking into your corp or stealing property. Using Mindprobe they determine that the people work for CorpX directly. CorpA hires Shadowrunners to grab evidence. You present it to the Corporate Court. They certainly wouldn't go through the trouble of lifting criminals for a trail; instead the trail is held via uplink at some secure location. The Court renders a verdict against CorpX to pay CorpA restitution and increases CorpX's bank loan rates. You've hurt your competitor and gotten restitution. Why wouldn't you do this? Even if you lose you lose little.

They can't just use Mindprobe against everyone, only against the accused assailants.

Polaris 
Besides, all the corp has to do is supply plausible deniability.  If politics rules the day anyway, then the corp really has nothing to worry about.

Canon Fuchi proves you wrong if you "play strictly by canon."
CanvasBack
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Shadowrun is supposed to be ridiculous; it's a "dark" parody world of our own.

Wow, somebody gets it!!! Yeah!!! biggrin.gif

I was pawing through some SR2 stuff I hadn't looked at in awhile and it struck me that some of the NPCs were overly corny, some of the companies a little too cheesy and the situations characters find themselves in a little over the top. Was it bad writing or poor taste? Neither. You see, in a proper dystopian universe, you need some comic relief to ease the tension. Otherwise, the PCs become nihilists, sit around and mope, and eventually take themselves out. Does anybody remember the movie "Brazil," ? Well, take that movie and "Bladerunner", mix them together and you've got the perfect Shadowrun Universe. You get the Darkness and you mix in the Parody, you reduce the tension but still end up with a dystopic mess that's entertaining as hell, fun to play, and you don't feel all depressed afterwards because even though a Shadowrun is mostly serious, some absurd quirk sticks out that makes you smile afterward.

So even though I'm no fan of house rules, if your player pays for the lifestyle, let them feed fish! If nothing else, it'll give them a reason to keep going in a world where the oceans are dying. (Can you imagine a "Fish Called Wanda" being set in the SR universe?)

I thought there were rules concerning explosions, and Object Resitance checks for stuff around them? Anyway, I'm pretty sure my armored jacket got shredded in a recent fire fight my character was in, the important part was it did it's job well enough for me to buy a new one. wobble.gif
Nephyte
Actually you are incorrect. In many cases the lack of a rule is in fact a rule. Just wait and see what WizKids has to say. I think you will find that this is such a case.

Actually I have to agree with Polaris here. Rules are Enablers, they define what actions you are able to take in the world.

[edit] I realize the following doesn't make sense in comparison to the above, but I am assuming common sense will prevail. I know my english is lacking in attempting to explain that more fully, and I excuse myself by way of having a throbbing headache that would make me happy to get a small sledge to the temple for the relief it would bring [/edit]

As far as feeding the fishtank goes, that falls purely under roleplaying as no skill check or opposed test is needed. It should also be a "common sense" type thing. Rules typically cover opposing situations whereby some rule is needed to define the outcome of the contest. Feeding your fish should not be an opposed action of any type. The rules don't specifically state how your character is birthed either. Guess he was never born in the first place eh? wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nephyte)
Although I have always enjoyed what Gygax said about supposed "True Roleplayers." It amounted to something along the effect that they were nothing but wanna-be Thespians with stage fright, and real roleplayers needed some good ol' gore.

As an actor and "real roleplayer", I resent that. Just because I do stupid things because it's in character doesn't mean I lose my nerve when the lights go up.
Whether I'm me or not when the lights go up is debateable.

~J
Seville
Polaris,
What service?
Zazen
QUOTE (Nephyte)
As far as feeding the fishtank goes, that falls purely under roleplaying as no skill check or opposed test is needed. It should also be a "common sense" type thing. Rules typically cover opposing situations whereby some rule is needed to define the outcome of the contest. Feeding your fish should not be an opposed action of any type.

Surely not! When I kidnap the Yak boss's favorite exotic fish and hold it for ransom, I'd better know how to take care of it. Oops, I'm playing a shaman of the desert who has never even seen a fish, let alone something as exotic as this. The GM must determine if the fish lives out the 8 days of negotiations and pickups. Pick up your dice smile.gif
Nephyte
Fine, Knowledge Skill; Fish Tendering. Default to intelligence if you don't have that particular skill.

I'd definitely say it doesn't require an active skill test nyahnyah.gif Once you pass the knowledge skill test, the feeding should be quite simple.

As far as rulings go: That is perfectly defined within the rules. Any knowledge skill used without actually having a skill is a default to intelligence with a TN penalty. Fish Tendering is a perfectly acceptable knowledge skill as the book says anything can fit in the various categories and only proceeds to give a few examples rather then an exhaustive listing.
Kanada Ten
Destroying things is pretty well covered in the rules too. The question is does Powerball destroy your cloths and you? The answer is: it can.
Polaris
Seville,

I was officially assigned to the 6981 ESG (USAF) in Elemdorf.

-Polaris
Polaris
Kanada,

Actually, it can not going by the strict reading of canon. However, a Powerball can destroy a pile of cloths next to you. That is why Fireball is used instead of Powerball in many cases...because it can destroy some items.

-Polaris
Kanada Ten
Powerball would consider your cloths a valid target because they are physical and in sight of the mage.
Zazen
QUOTE (Nephyte)
Fine, Knowledge Skill; Fish Tendering. Default to intelligence if you don't have that particular skill.

How many successes are required to keep it alive and healthy, at what TN? How much does the food cost? The fancy PH kit, special thermometers, etc.? Must the food be refridgerated? How big must the tank be ("can I fit it in a coffin hotel bed", "can I smuggle it easily", etc.)? How often do I have to be there? Surely I can't leave it alone for 8 days and expect it to be fine. Once a day? Twice? Is there special equipment for this type of fish that I need, and if so, is it tracable? blahblahblahblahblah

All of this is missing from the rules, but surely you cannot insist that none of it exists in a canon universe. It is left for the GM to decide, just as in the case of equipment being damaged when something happens that would reasonably damage it.
Polaris
Kanada,

I will concede that the canonical rules can be read that way. However, that assumes that you treat your items as seperate from yourself, and that is not the way the combat system is geared. The moment you no longer possess an item, it is not part of you and thus a seperate (and valid) target. If you do possess it, then it is considered part of you. At least that is how I read the combat system (and I feel I am on fairly firm ground on this).

In addition to all of that, bear in mind that the errata I quoted does apply to Powerball, and most items are considered technological at best (OR cool.gif and many would most likely be considered highly processed (certainly ballistic cloth should be since it is plastic) and that is OR 10.

That means you need a power 5 Powerball (which is no joke drain wise) just to cast the bloody thing, and it would be highly unlikely to affect those objects in any case even going by your interpretation. I also note that if do use your interpretation then no mage will use a Powerball because it can destroy the very items that the runners may need to get clues from (like the terminal in the office to name one example).

-Polaris
Seville
Electronic Security, Air Force Intel and independent reporting to the NSA on a PACAF base.

One more question: were you an officer or enlisted.

Let me know if you need a helping hand. smile.gif
Polaris
Zazen,

Actually Nephyte is right and made the point much better than I. W/r/t knowledge skills, there are standard target numbers and numbers of successes for average tests, easy tests, hard tests, etc etc.

Feeding Fish would be an easy test, which would require a TN of 2 (and one success) of the Knowledge, Fish Tendering skill. That would require a TN 6 (just one) on an Int check. All of this is strictly canonical....including the guidelines for the GM.

-Polaris
Kanada Ten
That's ok with the Powerball 5, I'd just use a feitish wink.gif

also note that if do use your interpretation then no mage will use a Powerball because it can destroy the very items that the runners may need to get clues from (like the terminal in the office to name one example).

You don't use a grenade when you need a bullet. Gangs, Ghouls, Powerball the Bridge, ect.
Polaris
Seville,

I was enlisted at the time. Used the service to help me finish my degree and pay for graduate school. After a few years with NSA, I had enough (and refused to come back as an officer after I got my degree).

I am doing fine right now but thanks for asking. Anything else. I have given as much of my bona fides as really should (you understand I hope). Everyone else will have to either believe me or not.

-Polaris
Nephyte
ow many successes are required to keep it alive and healthy, at what TN? How much does the food cost? The fancy PH kit, special thermometers, etc.? Must the food be refridgerated? How big must the tank be ("can I fit it in a coffin hotel bed", "can I smuggle it easily", etc.)? How often do I have to be there? Surely I can't leave it alone for 8 days and expect it to be fine. Once a day? Twice? Is there special equipment for this type of fish that I need, and if so, is it tracable? blahblahblahblahblah

Base TN of 2 + 4 for defaulting to intelligence. Willing to pass it off to a +2 Default if your shaman had any other animal related knowledge skills that might apply.

1 Success: Basic Outline
2 Successes: You'd know the answers to all the above, but not fully sure.
3 Successes: You'd know enough to keep it alive for the 8 days without a doubt.
4+ Successes: You know it's exact family, the perfect water temperature, and any other minutae that isn't really damned important.

As for the costs: Simply extrapolate from RL. Same goes with any other questions.

All of this is missing from the rules, but surely you cannot insist that none of it exists in a canon universe. It is left for the GM to decide, just as in the case of equipment being damaged when something happens that would reasonably damage it.

I'm not neccasarily arguing here. However, I was simply addressing your particular fish issue. As far as the rules for the ability to damage things goes, the rules handle those, although they do it utterly terribly. I agree that it's up to GM's descretion. I also think that it is the GM's providence to make SURE those toys get damaged, taken away occaisionally. It's a hard world, and I think it's the GM's job to keep the players remembering that. Anything that gives the players an edge is up for being taken away/destroyed. There is a downside to everything in the world.
Zazen
QUOTE (Polaris)
Feeding Fish would be an easy test,

I'll need a canon source for that, and answers to the many unanswered questions I posed in my last post. I'll paste them here for reference:

How much does the food cost? The fancy PH kit, special thermometers, etc.? Must the food be refridgerated? How big must the tank be ("can I fit it in a coffin hotel bed", "can I smuggle it easily", etc.)? How often do I have to be there? Surely I can't leave it alone for 8 days and expect it to be fine. Once a day? Twice? Is there special equipment for this type of fish that I need, and if so, is it tracable?
Polaris
Zazen,

If the fish are exotic, then up the difficulty. The point is that such rules exist in canon....which means your reducto ad absurbum fails.

-Polaris
Nephyte
I'll need a canon source for that, and answers to the many unanswered questions I posed in my last post. I'll paste them here for reference:

Page 96: As the GM I get to decide based upon my immense wisdom!

[edit] Still looking for a source in Canon that says I get to make shit up if the object doesn't exist. That includes prices.

The relative existance of a Fish Tank and it's other parts doesn't really paralell a combat rule arguement as combat rules are well defined. [/edit]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012