Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Projection
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Wonazer
QUOTE (Polaris)
Nindaru,

The problem is one of attitude frankly. If you say, "I can create any reason I need", then you are in fact forcing the players to do what you want rather than what they want, and that is railroading.

-Polaris

I have already explained how I run my games. Must I do it again?

In regards to the pocket secretary geting hit with a bullet...

I did not "create" the shot just to take away the item. I used an already existing shot to accoomplish that goal. Also, I had planned on upgrading them with a prototype version wtih more features etc. as part of the current run.

But, as a player you would not know that and would have walked away. To which I say, "Don't forget your dice..."

I do not understand how you would just walk away on "principle" because I tweaked your character. If it was supposedly malicious, why would I reward them?

And again, my players choose what they want to do, and I choose how the world reacts to them. In that case I decided on the fly to take away a players ability to call so that they would more appreciate the new item they were going to receive. If you do not lose anything, what would be the purpose of aquiring new stuff?

I reward my players for dealing with adversity. Would it be fun for them if I didn't?

Do you find excitement and enjoyment in a lack of challenges and lack of plot? Would you prefer a game that is centered in an arena where you combat mobs and do nothing else?

How am I supposed to create a world for your characters to inhabit if I am not supposed to create events? Am I supposed to create plots for your characters or not?

If I have a plot, I am railroading.
If I don't have a plot and GM on the fly, I am railroading.

What is it you expect?
Kagetenshi
It may be that we're just not communicating very effectively, but I still don't like the sound of it. I create a world and let the players interact with it; if they become involved with a plot, they become involved with a plot. If they try hard enough, they could probably manage to avoid any semblance of plot, though I think that'd make a somewhat boring game.
I give my players a rope and let them hang themselves, I don't tie the noose for them.

~J
Kanada Ten
Polaris
What barrier ratings? How do you determine that?

Bullet Proof Glass Barrier Rating 4
So my bullet proof shades have a barrier rating of 4.
Each and every item in SR has a barrier rating. You just need to decide what the items are made of.
Wonazer
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It may be that we're just not communicating very effectively, but I still don't like the sound of it. I create a world and let the players interact with it; if they become involved with a plot, they become involved with a plot. If they try hard enough, they could probably manage to avoid any semblance of plot, though I think that'd make a somewhat boring game.
I give my players a rope and let them hang themselves, I don't tie the noose for them.

~J

Kage, my players do not interact with the world, they are the world. The game centers around them and they are the stars of the show.

As for them avoiding a plot and you thinking it boring... That seems to be when they have the most fun. When they get to decide where to go, what to do, and how to do it, they have a blast. Some games, like the one I described earlier, don't have any plot at all, just reactions on my part based on what they do. Sometimes I take a little more initiative and interact with their world by tweaking the direction and flow of the game.

Whatever my methods, my goal is for my players to have fun. I just introduced two new players into my game and they asked me to run my SR game on their D&D night. They enjoyed it that much.

I am not the best GM. Frankly, I am not that good at all. I am, however, very good at reacting to what they do and that keeps things fresh and fast paced (and gives me less headaches).

I have found that they have the most fun not only when they decide the flow, but when they have to work for their ends. The games that I have given a bunch of stuff to them for cheap, they were bored. I just want my players to have fun and will do whatever it takes to accomplish that. Is that wrong?
Kagetenshi
My characters decide where they go. There are things out there happening that they may embroil themselves in, but with very rare exceptions (*Waves to Jack Black*) they have to choose their own misfortunes, I don't come up with them myself. I don't say "well, now the characters get seperated." No, if during the course of play a character happens to get seperated, I'll take advantage of that fact, but if their pocsec gets destroyed it's because they took a bullet, not because I wanted them to be seperated.

~J
Wonazer
but if their pocsec gets destroyed it's because they took a bullet, not because I wanted them to be seperated.

I already noted that they took a bullet. It was a nasty bullet. I did not 'create' that bullet. There were already in a firefight. I was looking for a quick and easy way to get rid of that characters Pocket Secretary and that shot gave me an easy, mess free solution. The two reasons I wanted them without a communication device were so that they could not call in backup, and to introduce a better model.

They decided to take the job, they decided to approach the task in the manner that they did. Their actions allowed me to build a short adventure for them. At any moment they could have stopped and sat down, allowing security to apprehend them. Or, they could find a way to get out.

I have learned over time that my players stick to what they already have. The Poc Sec was something they needed and allowed them to call for help and get an extraction. They players loved the suspense on not being able to call for help that adventure. They had fun. Again, is that wrong?
Kagetenshi
Yes. It is fundamentally morally wrong.
You're going to hell, boy.

~J
Wonazer
Ok, I'll leave it at that then.
Kagetenshi
smile.gif

~J
John Campbell
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Polaris
What barrier ratings? How do you determine that?

Bullet Proof Glass Barrier Rating 4
So my bullet proof shades have a barrier rating of 4.
Each and every item in SR has a barrier rating. You just need to decide what the items are made of.

It's just like determining ORs, which you, Polaris, seem to have no problem with arbitrarily assigning.
spotlite
Kage I think that what Nin is saying is that the character got shot normally. No fudging, no predetermination, but that they actually took the shot, and didn't soak the damage. Once they took damage, the item was taken out, because the Gm wanted to for plot reasons and now he had a way without fudging (or as we say here, 'flanging' which is a general plot flange rather than a dice fudge, if you see what I mean.

I generally don't decide I want to take a players toys away unless they are disrupting the game or otherwise misbehaving, and even if I do, I don't engineer circumstances where it happens, I just, like Nin, wait for an opportunity to present itself based on what the players do.

In the same situation, had i wanted to get rid of the PS with the intent to give them a better one later for some reason (or something crueller, see the above paragraph about misbehaving), I personally might even have said to them - you can have an extra point of ballistic if you want it, but i'm not telling you where it came from, then they even have sort of a choice, if a mis-informed one). If they chose not to accept it, the secretary would have survived as the bullet didn't pass through it and offer up that extra point of armour. Yeah, that's a house rule, which I might then use on other occasions having not used it before, but its a drama rule rather than a mechanic rule. Its not like I've taken away the team's brand new exceedingly expensive vehicle with all the mods. Well, not unless they've fragged up and managed to get into a battle with a bunch of border patrol T-birds, anyway...

If that makes me a bad GM, then I'm going to hell as well, and I'm unrepentant!!!
Kagetenshi
Yes, you too are cast down into the depths, to suffer amidst the creators of D&D 3rd Edition and GURPS.
Your first punishment will be to try to understand the rules for Fringeworthy and explain what was going through the creator's heads when they wrote the book.

~J
Wonazer
QUOTE (spotlite)
Its not like I've taken away the team's brand new exceedingly expensive vehicle with all the mods.

ROFL I HAVE done that. They decided to race RIGHT after they got them. A failed driving test sent one car into another... =) And that was how the night started... devil.gif
Namer18
Polaris you insist no elemental manipulation can damage ceramic because fire, lightening, and acid won't damage it. However, if you were to open up MIts you would discover that there are lots of other manipulations. Is your arguement that none of those could possibly damage ceramic?

Namer18
spotlite
I spoke to my players about this thread and they wanted to know how come deck casings can have barrier ratings if they can't get damaged, even collaterally? And how come elemental effects specifically talk about how to work out damaging kit if it can't be. Those elemental effects don't have to be caused by spells - fire is fire, right?

If kit isn't specifically waterproof (cos according to your argument if it doesn't say, then it isn't true) then what should you do if a character jumps into Seattle Sound with all his doohickeys (apart from give him some horrible disease from the pollution - or would you say this isn't on either)?

And if kit is sacrosanct and can't get damaged how come theres rules for it getting damaged in the wilderness (various terrains) in Target Wastelands?

The also mentioned something else really clever but it was last night and I've slept since then so I've forgotten it. But I'll ask them again. It really was quite a good point, dammit!

And if kit wasn't immune why can ammo be cooked off by elemental effect fire and the ignite spell which is not an elemental effect per se but functions 'like flamethrower'? Fire only appears when things then burst into flames and ammo cooks off happens at GM discretion, which would indicate that other things on fire suffer this risk - wether it was caused magically or not.

The more I look at it, the more it seems that agreed use of GM discretion pops up in the most interesting of places, setting precedents for destroying kit along the way. Now, GM discretion IS written down, 'its not in the rules so frag off' isn't.

I don't think you're argument quite stands up to examination, Polaris, without a quote saying that if a rule isn't there it means a thing is against the rules in and of itself, though i do understand what you're saying. There's nothing specific for general damage to items, true. But there's lots of hints, and general stuff about specific damage. Its just to vague either way to say 'it isn't possible'.

Well, that's my conclusion, anyway. You are of course entitled to yours, and you are welcome to it! You find me that quote and I'll happily concede that you are right and everyone else is wrong. What did Wizkids say, by the way? They usually reply inside 24 hours when I have a query.
mfb
that's the difference between RPGs and, say, a video game. situations may come up in an RPG--even in combat--which the rules don't cover; when the GM fills a gap in the rules like that, it's not a house rule--it's the GM doing his job.
Wonazer
Hooah!
LurkingTroll
QUOTE (Polaris)
Now you are reaching and looking more than a little desperate.  Let's compare the situations:

In combat, there is no rule (none, nada, zippo) that allows for collateral damage to your gear in standard combat.

Conclusion:  Gear is not subject to collateral damage (unless an effect specifically says otherwise).

-Polaris

hmm...page 96 "cannon" companion states as follows:

Armor Degradation (optional) (still being a number greater than zero, so it being a rule, therefore eliminating the "I am never wrong" statement of Polaris)

A character who takes a Moderate wound or greater damage from a non-Stun attack suffers armor damage. The armor loses 1 point for every multiple of it's appropriate value, (Impact or Ballistic) represented by the Power of the attack. For example, a character wearing an armored jacket takes a hit from a submachine gun burst with a Damage Code of 10S. The jacket has a Ballistic Rating of 5. If the character takes at least Moderate Damage, the attack permanently reduces the rating of the armor by 2 points (10 / 5 =2).
This rule also applies to Impact Armor, Hardened and vehicle armor (but not critter armor).

I hate being wrong, but I hate being a know it all, too.

The LurkingTroll
DigitalMage
I think what Polaris is having issue with is that there is no warning that gear can be damaged, or at least some sort of rules for it to be done.

This can lead to issues such as:
GM: The shot tears through your jacket, smashing through the ceramic plates and knocking you back off your feet. You fight for breath and raise your hand to your chest, but rather than feeling the sticky texture of your blood, you instead brush your fingers across a broken circuit board and casing. Then you realise your Pocket Secretary took the hit for you.
Player: Umm, no way. You never rolled to see if the P-Sec got hit or anything.

What may have placated Polaris was at the start of teh campaign simply saying something to the effect of:
"Occassionally I will rule that a piece of kit gets damaged if your character takes quite a hail of lead in combat, say, more than 4 hits per combat. I will choose an appropriately dramatic or humourous moment for this. I don't plan on using some complicated mechanic to see if items are hit."

or

"If I feel that a poor dice roll will end your character's life, I may fudge things a little, however I will take something else in return. For example, I may rule that the wound you took will become infected and heal at a slower rate, or a may rule that you survived that direct hit because some piece of your equipment took the hit instead (thus losing that equipment)."
Senchae
Not that I actually read most of this thread particularly closely, as it's interesting largely in the same way that a train wreck is interesting (and hey, is that railroading?), but I want to thank John Campbell for providing me with what I am about to set as my .sig:

"Magic allows circumventing certain physical laws under certain limited circumstances. It is not an invitation to totally take leave of one's senses."
Kagetenshi
If you read the "Magic: what can and can't it do?" thread, I disagree with the first half of his sentence. The second half, though, still holds true.

~J
Senchae
The factual nature of the sentence is open to debate, surely. However, at the time I read it I was in just such a state of mind that I found it greatly humorous, and that's really the important thing. biggrin.gif
3Threes
For the short version of this post refer to pages 36-38 of the main rule book and 92-94 of the shadowrun companion.

These canon pages explain several things:
1. It is a Story Game - not just a Game.
2. Railroading in moderation is the -obligation- of the GM.
3. The absence or inadiquacy of a rule does NOT create an implicite canon rule against any house rule.
4. An inordinant adherance to the rules is against the letter of the rules of the game as well as the spirit.
5. There is no competition in the game (and therefore no need for fairness).

---Incoming Book---

The use of the word "you" in this post is in the general sense - meaning specifically Polaris as well as generally applying to any who may share his views on these topics.

Polaris wrote:

I would say consistency and fairness are the essential elements. If you were a stranger as a GM, and you said, "I reserve the right to break items if I feel it will advance the story" then I would have a long and pointed talk with you privately....or I would not play.

Why? The key issue is trust. It is far too easy for a GM to maliciously take stuff away with that rule in play and claim "it is advancing the story" and how could I argue differently? I couldn't and that has the potential of being grossly unfair.

Losing the ability to argue with a GM = unfair and unplayable?
Why are you spending your game time arguing with the GM? You are supposed to be playing with the GM not against the GM or againt the other players - you cry "unfair" but in relation to whom? Who are you competing against such that fairness is requisite? Most games I have played in are entirely unfair; the players always seem to win.

Then you say it is a GAME not a STORY?
It is a Story Game..... it has elements of both - the idea is to have a general set of rules that give a framework to build the story on - by definition the rules don't cover everything and therefore it is CANON that you MUST make house rules for the parts not covered. Your idea that the absence of a rule means that it is impossible for that mechanic to take place without breaking the rules by making a house rule is absurdly rigid.

IMO destruction of worn gear only adds to the flavor and sense of being in the game. Saying that there are no, nada, none rules governing the destruction of worn items is untrue. Every item in the game can be assigned a barrier rating and object resistance by the GM using the tables as a guide. Therefore by implication they can also be destroyed. When and how they are destroyed is intentionally left open since there are an infinite number of ways and limited space in the rule book. It is just as unworkable to require that the GM present every "House Rule" for ratification by the players. This would either require decades as every possibility is discussed and determined - or would give away aspects of the coming game.

For example - the stuffer shack fight in First Run has "House Rules" governing the destruction of the junk on the shelves. Does the GM have to - before running that game - explain to the players the mechanics of this stuffer shack house rule - especially since the TN mods imposed by it could very well mean the difference between life or death for the players? Of course not. If the life of the player is not given that protection - then why should the gear on the player be given enhanced protection?

Just because Shadowrun lacks a hit location table does not mean the GM is being "unfair" by choosing to allow the possibility or even inevitability of personal object destruction. You imply that the purpose of the destruction is to punish the player - instead it is an opportunity to play the game in an unexpected way. Destroyed items give motivations to players, give them losses not confined to a health status, force them to solve problems in unconventional ways, and create interesting emotional states in the characters.

You also describe "railroading" as if it is some horror. A certain amount of railroading is necessary in any game. Especially if the GM is spending lots of time preparing for certain events or encounters. Sure it can sour a game if done in excess - but a certain amount of railroading can preserve well prepared game presentations that are enjoyable. If it makes the difference between the GM presenting a disjointed unexpected encounter loaded with "um" "lemme look this up" "just a sec" "wait it didnt happen that way i just found the rule" "actually he didnt say that he said this" and a well prepared encounter with flavor, props, excitement, adventure, heroics, and fun - then I as a player would be willing to have a little railroading so I could have fun. If you want absolute adherence to rules - where nothing happens without a mechanic for it - then go play a computer game. The games I have GMed and played in have always come with the caveat that the GM has the final say in anything that happens and can do anything they want at all. The players have the final say in whether they show up to play next time or not. These two rules make for fun gaming. Listening to a fellow gamer spend half the play session fighting over whether the GM can break thier pocket secretary or not != fun gaming.

You have an overwhelming need to be right that is amusing. You play semantic games to redefine the issues so that you can distinguish your posts as touching some other point and everyone elses as "wrong." Posting that shadowrun is a GAME and NOT a STORY is just one example.

The necessity of house rules is canon. Therefore the absence of a rule over some mechanic does not create a canon rule against the mechanic - it is merely silent on the issue. Any determination of the canon is by definition a house rule, including the determination that the mechanic is forbiden in the game. Your insistince that personal gear is "sacrosanct" is just as much a house rule as any other method for determining the possibility of collateral destruction of objects.

Another example - say one of your players spends all his free time with the ladies. (The character not the player) There is no canon rule for determining if he gets an STD or if he gets one pregnant. Is he therefore immune in the game from either of these possible outcomes? No matter how the GM handles it - the GM has made a house rule. If the character is immune to both - then the house rule is such. If the GM makes a set of rules to allow the possibility after the fact that the player has indicated their behavior and then the player throws a fit and walks out of the game - was the GM a bad GM, or was it the player who had a bad attitude.

If instead the player gets in gunfights, explosions, hit by acid balls, falls 3 stories on broken concrete, and beat within an inch of his life by a troll with brass knuckles, and the rules are silent on the issue of collateral damage, is the player really within reason to suggest that the GM has no right to determine if damage was done to the characters gear? Does the player have the right to walk away? Of course - nobody is forcing anybody to play this game. Is the player walking away for a good reason? Yes - such a player probably thinks they are competing with the GM or with the other players in a GAME where there is a winner and should therefore probably go play a fair game like checkers.

The purpose of the game is not to play out the inevitable results of a ruleset - or even to explore those results. It is to create a framework where a set of people can cooperatively make a interesting and fun story; such that we can pass the time here in life so that our perception of the time period between birth and death will be shorter. We play this game because we our rushing to our deaths which is the same reason anybody seeks out fun.

3Threes
Shockwave_IIc
3Threes where have you been hiding??

It would of been great to have you involved in the great debate over Knuckler Combustion! along with Dr F, Zazen and thunderchild (Sphynx?)
toturi
QUOTE (3Threes)
For the short version of this post refer to pages 36-38 of the main rule book and 92-94 of the shadowrun companion.

These canon pages explain several things:
1. It is a Story Game - not just a Game.
2. Railroading in moderation is the -obligation- of the GM.
3. The absence or inadiquacy of a rule does NOT create an implicite canon rule against any house rule.
4. An inordinant adherance to the rules is against the letter of the rules of the game as well as the spirit.
5. There is no competition in the game (and therefore no need for fairness).

I really don't know about the no-competition-therefore-it-is-fair part. And please don't quote Canon with me (I'll probably do it better biggrin.gif )

The GM should be in sympathy with the heroes. But sometimes the GM isn't really on the side of the good guys. I submit as evidence proof.gif the phenomenon known as the Very Evil GM vegm.gif.

You said that there is no need for fairness since there is no competition? I say you are wrong and the Canon rules back me up. I quote from pg. 251 fo the BBB, "Be Fair!" Two words, quite simple. What part of BE FAIR did you not understand? Did you read the rulebooks before you started playing or did you just make up the rules on the fly? Justifying your lack of knowledge (pg. 251, BBB) with "It's ok to houserule"?

One more thing. It is not a Story, not a Story Game, but a Roleplaying Game. Jeezus! What are gamers coming to nowadays?
Kagetenshi
You are wrong! This cannot be! There is no number 3 in Three!

And therein lies a tail...

~J
toturi
Hahaha! ROFL! God I miss posting here.
Fortune
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
...along with Dr F, Zazen and thunderchild (Sphynx?)

Sphynx and thunderchild are two seperate people.
Prospero
QUOTE (toturi)

One more thing. It is not a Story, not a Story Game, but a Roleplaying Game. Jeezus! What are gamers coming to nowadays?

What, don't your Roleplaying games have stories? Or is it just one big string of combats and rules. ohplease.gif

GM: Okay, new initiative pass. What is everybody doing?
Player1: I'm picking up the remote and turning on the trid.
GM: Okay, you can make the remote ready with a simple action and then turn on the trid with another, but you can't change the channel until your next initiative pass.
Player2: I'm going into the kitchen to get Ork Rindz to snack on.
GM (consulting blueprint of the apartment): Sorry, that exceeds your movement. You can get 3/4 of the way to the cupboard, but you'll have to actually get there and open the cupboard on the next turn. It'll be a free action to locate the Ork Rindz, though.

I mean, really. I think we can all agree that at least that there is as much story in a roleplaying game as there are rules.
Fortune
QUOTE (Prospero)
GM: Okay, you can make the remote ready with a simple action and then turn on the trid with another, but you can't change the channel until your next initiative pass.
GM (consulting blueprint of the apartment): Sorry, that exceeds your movement. You can get 3/4 of the way to the cupboard, but you'll have to actually get there and open the cupboard on the next turn. It'll be a free action to locate the Ork Rindz, though.

Spirits pity the character who is taking a bathroom break. biggrin.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ Dec 9 2003, 12:11 PM)
...along with Dr F, Zazen and thunderchild (Sphynx?)

Sphynx and thunderchild are two seperate people.

Sorry my bad, don't see thunderchild around any more and sphynx has a character called thunderchild i believe. Forgot you were there, glad you remember it. biggrin.gif

Well enough of that anyway.
Prospero
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Prospero @ Dec 9 2003, 01:00 PM)

So, what do you think - is pissing an exclusive complex action or just a complex one? I mean, could you imagine trying to summon a spirit while taking a leak? That would be one insulted spirit. grinbig.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (Fortune)

There is a minor joke in my group that the Task Pool's best feature is that it really helps you squeeze out those stubborn ones when you're on the can.
toturi
QUOTE (Prospero)
QUOTE (toturi)

What, don't your Roleplaying games have stories? Or is it just one big string of combats and rules. ohplease.gif

I don't know about you but a story is something I read before bed. I never played a story game before, so I can't tell you what that is. I play RPGs with my friends. newbie.gif
Prospero
QUOTE (toturi)
I don't know about you but a story is something I read before bed. I never played a story game before, so I can't tell you what that is. I play RPGs with my friends. newbie.gif

Ah. Then your smiley is correct. You are a newbie. nyahnyah.gif
toturi
So says a Target. At least I'm a Moving newbie.gif Target. rollin.gif
Kagetenshi
As a Running Target, I declare you both newbies. newbie.gif

~J
toturi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
As a Running Target, I declare you both newbies. newbie.gif

~J

No fair. I'm a dwarf, movement rate x 2. Naturally, I can't run as fast as you! biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)

No fair. I'm a dwarf, movement rate x 2. Naturally, I can't run as fast as you! biggrin.gif

You could if his Quickness was 4 and yours was 6! biggrin.gif
moosegod
Quickness 6 dwarves?

Bah! Bah I say!
Diesel
But my ghoul satyr with kid stealth legs and a movement power can beat you all!
Fortune
QUOTE (Diesel)
But my ghoul satyr with kid stealth legs and a movement power can beat you all!

Nope! High Force Levitate plus Movement Power can beat that. biggrin.gif
3Threes

Shockwave - dunno what the knuckler combustion reference was about - i just hope it wasnt about dikoting ally spirits - i have been hiding on Everquest playing on the rule free team pvp server (SZ) where i strove to make people sad in RL as much as possible and where lying, cheating, stealing, racism, and politics are the main course every day - I will try and behave here though - i guess you guys have some kind of play nice rules for posting

tot,

And please don't quote Canon with me (I'll probably do it better  )

yeah, um... sure - i think that only the very bestest poster should quote canon - the rest of us can make reference to magic cards and D&D books to make our points - we should make a poll to see who should be granted the title of the King of Shadowrun - could you start one up tot? I just wouldn't know who to list besides you ...

What part of BE FAIR did you not understand?

If you told 100 people to write an essay on what BE FAIR means then you would get 100 different answers. I have seen arguements that make the whole "depends on what the definition of 'is' is" look reasonable. words have context and that context can make and word mean 100 million different things. You wave words around like they are talisma used to ward off thought.

Of course a certain amount of fairness is needed in order to sustain friendly interactions - but the kind Polaris asks for is really more appropriate for a competition and not the kind of fairness necessary in a roleplaying game. Polaris assumes the GM is out to get him and interperetes the rules in the way that best sheilds him from an imagined attack from the GM, threatening that if he doesnt get his way then he will leave.

I dunno - maybe GMs really do have it in for him, but I tend to play with people I like so I haven't ever felt the need for the GM to "BE FAIR" in the sense that Polaris was using the word. When it was possible that my GM was making rulings that could possibly be interpereted as unfair to me, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and didnt stress about it. For Polaris the mere possibility that a GM could be unfair is unacceptable.

The GM needs to have a certain leeway when managing the game/story in order to keep it interesting and fun. Rules are not the primary concern and judicious breaking of rules can enhance the enjoyment of the game.

In one of the games we played we made a house rule that no rules argument can take longer than 5 min and at the end if it looked like it could go either way then we flipped a coin and that was the rule. Not the best way to ensure the most technically accurate version of the rule but it let us play the game instead of wasting time arguing over game mechanics.

Did you read the rulebooks before you started playing or did you just make up the rules on the fly?

I read them - thank you for asking - your interest in me as a person is flattering. I didn't know you cared. Though there are plenty of people who just start playing and read the rules later and I don't see anything wrong with that; rules can stifle creativity.

Justifying your lack of knowledge (pg. 251, BBB) with "It's ok to houserule"?

It is always ok to houserule. Everyone lacks knowledge. The two are unconnected. Don't worry though your quip didn't escape me - i know you meant it as an insult; but your Mother and I still love you.

My terminology was chosen to match a previous post. Story Game = roleplaying game if you were confused. Sorry to make you stress out.

You said that there is no need for fairness since there is no competition? I say you are wrong and the Canon rules back me up. I quote from pg. 251 fo the BBB

Here is the useful content of your post, for which I am grateful. In contrast to the rest of the post it is a useful addition and contained information to help me better understand my position and clarify my articulation. You could have confined your post to just this, but then I would have been robbed of the chance to get a view of the person behind the post. What a delight that has been.

I admit that on the topic of fairness, my previous post was misleading and too general. See above for my clarification, which may possibly still contain error and likely fails to exactly articulate the idea I am trying to express.

3Threes
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (3Threes)
Shockwave - dunno what the knuckler combustion reference was about - i just hope it wasnt about dikoting ally spirits - i have been hiding on Everquest playing on the rule free team pvp server (SZ) where i strove to make people sad in RL as much as possible and where lying, cheating, stealing, racism, and politics are the main course every day - I will try and behave here though - i guess you guys have some kind of play nice rules for posting

Hell no, It was just a comment on your ability to argue a point!

It was no warning. (and trust me it's a good thing you don't know the Knuckler combustion reference. 130+ post in 3 days i think. It got a bit heated)
Raptor1033
holy crap i was gonna post a reply arguing that thunderbolt should be able to crack ceramic stuff, but thought to myself that i should read the rest before i do so... that's when i realized i was only on page 5 out of 16. it was at that moment that i lost all will to care ::sigh:: good job you guys, my will has be snapped like a dry twig nyahnyah.gif
Dim Sum
This has to be one of the most hopelessly pointless and hysterically funny threads on DSF I've read in a LONG time!!! biggrin.gif

Half the time, I caught myself thinking, "What's the topic again?" eek.gif

I'm amazed the mods didn't shut down the thread much earlier but I'm glad they didn't!!! grinbig.gif
Prospero
Yeah, I remember the first thread I ever posted to... it was about whether elves were overpriced vs. the other races. Well, it started there. I think it ended at around 23 pages or so when a moderator shut it down because the last two or three pages had just been constant flaming because everyone was so pissed off and frustrated. Ah, yes... Course, it wasn't nearly as funny as some parts of this. indifferent.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (3Threes)
I have seen arguements that make the whole "depends on what the definition of 'is' is" look reasonable.

Actually, that was perhaps his most reasonable defense. He was asked "is there a sexual relationship between you and that woman" or something similar, and while there was not one at the moment (is being present tense) there had been at one time. He screwed all that up badly, but that question was not an example of it.

~J
Pavlov
Since I know how popular d20 systems are here....

I'd like to point out that it's actually a lot easier in 3e DnD to damage objects. In addition to the previously mentioned "natural 1" circumstance, 3e added feats that allow you to target objects (Improved Sunder) and a host of rules that make it easier to destroy PC property. If you drop your potion flask (or are dropped on it), then you need to roll apporiate damage versus the flasks hardness/hit points. Many spells can target possessions of PCs, although they'll be considered "attended" and get the character's saving throw. Still, this means that I can cast disintergrate, make a ranged touch attack, and blast the Wizard's staff from the multiverse. Other spells like acid fog deal with how they affect items.

My group just plays out of the book in terms of rules, so we use all of the above examples.
zephir
I don't know if it was mentioned already, or if you still read this thread, Polaris, but I would like you to stop several annoying habits:

1. Stop using latin words and phrases. It only confuses readers since they are not familiar with it (as in "use it everyday.") You yourself may or may not be familiar with it, the readers will judge you (also by your spelling of "reduct[i]o ad absurdum" and "sacrosan[c]t.")

2. Stop making assertions with authority you don't possess. I saw some reference to a physicist about some electricity question. I doubt a physicist would make such simple mistakes. But I don't blame you, you are perhaps a victim of military education.

3. Do not expose me to your loophole exploiting.
As an example:
You state: certain kinds of materials (ceramics) cannot be harmed by certain kinds of (magical) elemental manipulations (acid streams). Nature law applies (in a generalized fashion).
You also state: this fragile silicium chip (highly processed material), which would be destroyed for all electronic uses if a grain of sand hit it, is (near) immune to acid streams since it has OR 10+. Nature law obviously doesn't apply.
Now what is it?

Thank you.

[Oh, yes -- before you flame me for abusing the english language, I'm not a natural speaker. Sorry for all the inconveniences.]

Now on to the real reason I wanted to post:

I believe the SR authors intended to add to the scenery (flavour) when they came up with fetishes (and did not intend to give spellcasters another way to improve their abilities numbers-wise for nuyen.)
If I think "fetish", I see a houngan with a puppet in his hands stabbing it repeatedly with a needle, while his corper opponent reels under the mental impact of a mana bolt. I think identical (apart from their enchantment) ceramic implant teeth are cheesy.

And Zazen, thank you for giving me good moment (with the fish tank example) when I dreamt of a player bringing a B&E specialist character sheet:
No combat abilities, but
Knowledge Skill: Combat (6)

"I know how to deal with him!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012