Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look at the bow
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
masterpenguin
So, yea... i was making a meatwall troll. Think huntsman meets city ganger... yea, the more i say it the stupider it sounds.

But the concept is not the problem. The problem is the bow. troll has 9 strength, with lvl 2 muscle replacement. So, 11 strength. and that makes a bow, designed for someone with that strength, do 13P damage.

This seems silly to me. I brought it up to the GM, and he thinks its a little odd too. So i brought it up to the group, and they think its stupid.

Is there a hard or soft cap for it, and we just haven't found it? has this been talked to death (havent found anything in here yet) because an availibility 2 weapon should not do more than a fuggin assault cannon.

Or maybe it should? help would be appreciated.

-dender
Kanada Ten
You can make it a lot higher than that! Man, in SR3 you could blow apart cars with a trollbow.

There's nothing wrong with 13P, since you have to carry a fraggin' bow around! IIRC, the bow is single shot, so the damage is comparable to full auto weapons with ex-explosive ammo. Plus, it's like the monowhip, the cops are going to know this guy. "Hey Bob, there's another arrow stuck in the plascrete divider over here."

Check it out: 17P
blakkie
Also, by my reading, you can only have a rating 6 maximum bow at character creation. So after that you are at the whim of your fixer (the GM) to get something better than that. Unless you and the GM play RAW only limits on getting hold of equipment.

That is roughly the same damage neighborhood as a rifle, but without the weapon range or the ability to up the damage or penatration with special ammo. Well there are the injector arrows, but that's a little different.
tyranny12
QUOTE (blakkie @ May 26 2006, 08:09 PM)
Also, by my reading, you can only have a rating 6 maximum bow at character creation. So after that you are at the whim of your fixer (the GM) to get something better than that. Unless you and the GM play RAW only limits on getting hold of equipment.

That is roughly the same damage neighborhood as a rifle, but without the weapon range or the ability to up the damage or penatration with special ammo. Well there are the injector arrows, but that's a little different.

The book says the bow has a straight availability of 2, not that it scales by rating. At least by my reading.

EDIT: Someone pointed out that there is a max rating of 6 on new items asides from availability. That counts.
Glyph
I don't think the rating: 6 cap applies to things like Strength min for a bow - by that logic, no one could start out with an armored jacket, either, because its ballistic "rating" is 8. The rating cap applies to things that have a variable rating (and usually a cost based directly on that rating), such as muscle toner, medkits, etc.

Look at the bounty hunter archetype, for example. If you apply the rating cap to bows, he is not a legal starting character with his rating: 10 bow.
Jaid
QUOTE (Glyph)
I don't think the rating: 6 cap applies to things like Strength min for a bow - by that logic, no one could start out with an armored jacket, either, because its ballistic "rating" is 8. The rating cap applies to things that have a variable rating (and usually a cost based directly on that rating), such as muscle toner, medkits, etc.

Look at the bounty hunter archetype, for example. If you apply the rating cap to bows, he is not a legal starting character with his rating: 10 bow.

1) so you're saying you think the sample characters are actually made using the rules properly? woah... you must not've looked too close. not that this rules out the bow being legal, it just doesn't mean it *is* legal either.

2) the bow does have variable strength scores to it. ranging from 1 to who knows what. thus, by your definition, it does fall under the rating rule =P

that being said, with availability 2, a crazy superbow of doom isn't all that hard to find in the shadows anyways... likely as soon as the first run ends, you will be able to start looking and find it with ease.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
You can make it a lot higher than that!  Man, in SR3 you could blow apart cars with a trollbow.
17P

...We had a Troll Adept in our old SR3 group down a chopper with a Ranger X & Dikote arrows. I think his base damage started at something like 18S before staging up.
hyzmarca
Minimum strength is not a rating. It is a minimum strength. If it were a rating it would be called a rating.
Aaron
I'm going to play with some math, which may or may not be relevant to the question at hand.

I once fired a recurve bow with a 75-pound draw. It was cool; I felt like I was shooting lightning bolts, and there was hardly an arc at 30 yards.

According to a couple sources, a 75-pound bow fires a 1.5-ounce arrow about 200 feet per second (this figure is conservative, most sources have it higher, some as high as 285 fps). I could draw the bow, but it was probably at the edge of my range for shooting comfortably. My long pull at the time was about 150 pounds, and let's say that I had a Strength of 3 -- I worked out regularly, but not religiously. My military press was about 130. The best weight I could find for a clean and press is 396, about three times more than me.

So let's say 396 is the strongest man in the world, say Strength 7. So four attribute points is worth three times what I can pull (if the attributes are linear) or an increase of threefold (if attributes are exponential). Let's be conservative and go with a linear model. Then the strongest human can pull a bow with a release velocity around 600 fps, and the Strength 11 troll can release something in the neighborhood of 1200 fps.

Ignoring the fact that a stronger bow can fire a heavier arrow, let's say the 1.5-oz arrow is being fired at 1200 fps. That would be a kinetic energy around 5689 J. An M-16 fires a 0.14-oz bullet at about 2800 fps, for a kinetic energy around 2891 J.

So, yeah, I'd say a 13P troll bow is feasible. Find fault if you like; as I said, I just tossed some numbers around, but I tried to remain conservative.
Aaron
Oh, and don't forget that we are talking about (vastly) super-human archery, here.
James McMurray
The cost for a bow is listed as "Rating x 100." If the strength minimum is not a rating, then bows don't have a rating, making them free. The text for the bow says "bows have a minimum strength rating," which backs this up further.

Of course, at only strength x 100 and availability 2 you could buy a really mean one off the average starting cash from a middle lifestyle. If it's rating 2 or higher it'll take 2 days. If you have a fake SIN you can get one almost instantly at your local sporting goods store.
Kanada Ten
I'm picturing a few orks with stingers roosting in camo sniper nests, a knot of troll archers, and a couple of shaman dripping spirits as back-up. The runners know the general location, deep in Cascade Crow territory. Fortifications built into the mountain and utilizing an abandoned mine to hide a weapons' depot...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Aaron)
So let's say 396 is the strongest man in the world, say Strength 7. So four attribute points is worth three times what I can pull (if the attributes are linear) or an increase of threefold (if attributes are exponential). Let's be conservative and go with a linear model. Then the strongest human can pull a bow with a release velocity around 600 fps, and the Strength 11 troll can release something in the neighborhood of 1200 fps.

First, since doubling the velocity requires 4 times the energy (and thus force and work) to span, you're actually using exponential growth there. Second, bows don't work like that: velocity increases start dropping off fast beyond 300fps, and "world's fastest bows" clock around 350fps with very light arrows. I seem to remember someone mentioning a unique bow that managed 400fps with particular arrows, but that's already freaky. Beyond that, just increasing the draw weight will not achieve much. It may well be that achieving velocities over some 500-600fps is more or less impossible with bows as we know them, regardless of the draw weight, even with the lightest arrows. It would be much easier to retain a velocity in the 300-350fps range and just increase the weight of the arrow to somewhere in the 2000-4000 grains range.

This would make for 400-1100 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. The standard M16A2 load (M855) creates 1260 at the muzzle (62 grains at 3025fps).

That's not even touching the problem of diminishing returns from increased arrow weight and velocity. As long as you can fully penetrate the opponent, what determines the size of the wound is the configuration and width of the blades of the arrowhead -- with a 1"-wide 4-bladed head, it makes no difference if the arrow is moving at 250fps or 350fps or weighs 350 or 600 grains when it hits a human.
Nikoli
you forget the part where it goes thrugh the human and dents the panzer behind it.

Maybe a better mechanic is to have it be 2+Str/2 but have the AP get better with a higher str. like -(str/3)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Nikoli)
[...] dents the panzer behind it.

Umm, no. Not unless it's got a steel shaft and weighs ten times as much as the higher end of the scale I mentioned, ie. about 6 pounds. And it won't, since this isn't Discworld.
Kanada Ten
What kind of dynamics would be needed to make the arrowhead tumble inside the target body?
NightHaunter
Well there'd be no point barbing it.
It'll pust its own way through!
blakkie
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ May 27 2006, 10:08 AM)
What kind of dynamics would be needed to make the arrowhead tumble inside the target body?

First off you'd need the tip to detach from the shaft somehow. The problem there is that the shaft is where a lot of your mass, and therefore kinetic energy, is stored. Maybe if you got the tip to swivel but have the shaft still attached and pushing it. Or had shifted more weight from the shaft to the tip (not sure what this would do to flight dynamics though).

And you'll be fighting the relatively small cross-section to add that extra weight in.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Umm, no. Not unless it's got a steel shaft and weighs ten times as much as the higher end of the scale I mentioned, ie. about 6 pounds. And it won't, since this isn't Discworld.

I think that is Nikoli's point, that the upper end's ability to penatrate armor is crazy. Although I really don't think that having AP scale like he suggests is a great idea because it'll top out at AP -5, which is just crazy too.

The idea of something like ((Min STR)/2 + 3)P with a maximum of maybe 7P seems more in order, which leads to just landing single net hit success (basically a peripheral damaging shot) as quite damaging with the target soaking from 8 boxes. So you are dealing with something like a man-portable ballista.
Nikoli
Maybe design one shot head and shaft combination so that shortly after it penetrates the target, the sharft begins to split in a star model, should puncture prety much every important organ instead of just what's in front of it.
blakkie
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Maybe design one shot head and shaft combination so that shortly after it penetrates the target, the sharft begins to split in a star model, should puncture prety much every important organ instead of just what's in front of it.

The cross section of a hunting tip is already quite substantial, and those blades are damn sharp. So you are thinking of a linear scoring or something on the shaft so the leading end splits and pokes outward and as it moves foward in he body? That's still is just puncturing, not the cavetation that [tumbling] slug will do with is so damaging because it is an area effect.
Nikoli
But a half dozen shaft sections puching out into the body is going to do some damage and be a royal pain to remove.

And yes, I was thinking along the lines of a linear scoring, somehow transferring the kenetic energy back into the shaft one around 5 inches of depth have occured.
kigmatzomat
First, since doubling the velocity requires 4 times the energy (and thus force and work) to span, you're actually using exponential growth there. Second, bows don't work like that: velocity increases start dropping off fast beyond 300fps, and "world's fastest bows" clock around 350fps with very light arrows. I seem to remember someone mentioning a unique bow that managed 400fps with particular arrows, but that's already freaky. Beyond that, just increasing the draw weight will not achieve much. It may well be that achieving velocities over some 500-600fps is more or less impossible with bows as we know them, regardless of the draw weight, even with the lightest arrows.

I can't get the search tool to find it but months ago I did the math on the range of a troll's bow (with sources) and it turned out to be horrific.

The two factors that contributed most were a) the incredibly long pull length that a troll can provide (bow = spring and increased pull increases total energy) and b) the increased mass of an arrow that has to measures around 60" long (trolls being taller and have disproportionate arm length). The increased mass improves range (inertia resists drag) and ratchets up the KE for the velocity. One could also posit that a trollbow could get away with a head twice as large as normal, increasing the bleed-out from the larger cuts.

Using existing (~year 2000) bow materials, the velocity was around 110m/s (360fps) and the KE was about 726N (534ft-lbs) or what you'd get from a .357 or .44 magnum depending on barrel length. Only the cross-section and drag areas are so much larger for an arrow that 100% of the KE will be delivered by the bow while the bullets will waste a lot with blow-through. Furthermore, the cross-section of the arrow is significantly larger than either round (combining shaft + broadhead) increasing the odds of damaging a vital organ or a major blood vessel.

The cross-section of the broadhead's cutting surfaces is much smaller than a bullet (~1mm square at point of impact vs. .357 ~63mm) so the arrow will shatter/slice body armor like butter. It's like using those gunpowder-powered nail guns; a .22 blank will put a nail into concrete no problem. This is like firing a finish nail with a .357; you can probably embed the arrowhead into an I-beam (though the rest of the arrow will probably shatter when it stops in less than a half-inch). I don't feel like pulling out my steel manuals and checking that out, though.

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Why would you want to? At the velocities we're talking about, cutting a wound with a wide broadhead is clearly a more effective way of killing a human.

QUOTE (blakkie)
Maybe if you got the tip to swivel but have the shaft still attached and pushing it. Or had shifted more weight from the shaft to the tip (not sure what this would do to flight dynamics though).

I'm pretty sure neither would provide any benefit for terminal effect and would cause serious problems with both penetration of rigid objects and flight.

QUOTE (blakkie)
I think that is Nikoli's point, that the upper end's ability to penatrate armor is crazy.

And my point is that it shouldn't be. Any halfway realistic example of a "troll bow" I've seen would be worse for armor penetration than full-powered rifles. If you're capping the damage at 7P, I don't think there's any reason to give it any armor penetration benefit whatsoever. When the weapon really is a siege weapon carried by a troll I could understand a damage code as high as a HMG firing FMJ, but penetration would be probably be worse.

Re: disintegrating shafts, these would probably lead to tumbling arrowheads (which, again, are not a good thing, since you're depending on the cutting edges to cause damage) and very shallow penetration by the shaft fragments (barely breaking through the skin).

QUOTE (blakkie)
That's still is just puncturing, not the cavetation that [tumbling] slug will do with is so damaging because it is an area effect.

The permanent cavitation of even a high-velocity rifle bullet may be quite small -- much smaller in diameter than what you can get with a good broadhead. Deforming and fragmenting high-velocity bullets are a whole different matter, of course, capable of causing a wound cavity over 4" in diameter and still very deep from the average sporting rifle. For example, non-deforming vs. deforming/fragmenting from the same rifle -- note that the former tumbles while the latter doesn't. That kind of effect requires a velocity well above 1000fps, preferably closer to 3000fps.

QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
KE was about 726N (534ft-lbs)

That's Joules, Newtons are the SI unit of force. Going that low with a .44 Magnum would require a really fricken short barrel. smile.gif

QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
Only the cross-section and drag areas are so much larger for an arrow that 100% of the KE will be delivered by the bow while the bullets will waste a lot with blow-through.

Err, no. Suggested reading. Also, a massively heavy arrow, even with a very large broadhead, will in fact spend very little kinetic energy in penetrating the human body, since work is only done at the cutting edge. A large broadhead attached to a 300 grain arrow at 200fps will penetrate clear through a human torso and retain some velocity afterwards -- a 3000 grain arrow at 300fps will make a wound that is only larger if the arrowhead is larger, and will retain most of its kinetic energy after penetration.

Or does "blow-through" refer to something other than the classic "over-penetration"?

QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
The cross-section of the broadhead's cutting surfaces is much smaller than a bullet (~1mm square at point of impact vs. .357 ~63mm) so the arrow will shatter/slice body armor like butter.

If you want to make a point about penetrating armor well, you don't want to compare it to a .357. Any common .357 magnum load will be readily defeated by all common forms of flexible body armor right now.

Not that I doubt that a "troll bow" could defeat most current flexible body armors -- but if you're trying to justify an insane damage code like 13P, the arrow needs to be better than a 7.62x51mm AP tungsten carbide AP round, and in fact even better than a .50 BMG SLAP round (which, AFAIK, is rated somewhere around 8P/-6 in SR4). So, how does this 4000 grain arrow launched at 350fps manage against 34mm of rolled homogenous steel armor at 500 meters? Or even 12mm of rolled homogenous steel armor at 200 meters?
Dogsoup
Whenever there's a harpoon gun featured in a future product, I'm going to take the damage from that weapon and cap all bows with that number:
"Sorry a metal tipped stick doesn't do more damage than this at subsonic velocity."
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ May 27 2006, 01:12 PM)
If you're capping the damage at 7P, I don't think there's any reason to give it any armor penetration benefit whatsoever.

That was my intent. Thanks for making it explicit. The only projectile weapon listed in the book with a non-zero AP is the Heavy Crossbow with 7P AP -1 (which I'm not sure why is there, it really doesn't need to be). That's a big part of the reasoning I have for capping bows at 7P.

It really is silly to think of arrows in terms of armor penetration. At least until you make them into something like rigid, solid metal rods (and try accelerating that sucker to high velocity). When an arrow hits something the shaft tends to flex and shake, which actually unchecked can cause problems with penetrating just "soft" targets like big game. A normal arrow at super-sonic velocity, besides having issueds with the flighting, would likely collapse or shatter before penetrating hard armor.

The permanent cavitation of even a high-velocity rifle bullet may be quite small -- much smaller in diameter than what you can get with a good broadhead.

Broadheads (fixed or mechanicals) aren't really about cavities per say, they are about cutting a thin plane through. Which is the core of why tumbling is really conterproductive. They do their damage in a different way.

That's what mechanicals are about. They stay folded in and there is a little lever that when they start going through pulls a forward facing blade out of the tip which then pivots out really wide cutting a serious path. Sort of like you just shot a big ass knife into the target. That area of the cut is what you are looking for, to make sure you cut through as much blood vessle and organ as possible.

When talking about tumbling I had more in my mind the NATO 5.56x45mm fracturing as it tumbles. Also the temporary cavity area is much bigger, but then damage in that region can vary from lots to very little depending what is out there. But yeah, thanks for bringing that into perspective.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (blakkie)
Broadheads (fixed or mechanicals) aren't really about cavities per say, they are about cutting a thin plane through.

Yeah, I was a bit unclear. I just meant that the diameter of the permanent cavity caused by most non-deforming spitzer rifle bullets, even at very high velocities, are smaller in diameter than the width of the wound cut by a large broadhead.

QUOTE (blakkie)
When talking about tumbling I had more in my mind the NATO 5.56x45mm fracturing as it tumbles.

Yup, that can cause wounds similar to the one I linked (i.e. wounds like this). For clarity, the effect that causes the large permanent wound cavity is the fragmentation of the bullet at very high velocity -- if the bullet stays intact when it tumbles, the wound cavity looks more like this, not nearly as bad.

QUOTE (blakkie)
Also the temporary cavity area is much bigger, but then damage in that region can vary from lots to very little depending what is out there.

Yup. Liver, intestines or brains get damaged or even destroyed, everything else is only slightly bruised.
Shrike30
Why is it silly to think of arrows in terms of armor piercing? My understanding of medieval armor design is that an awful lot of it had to do with figuring out how to stop arrows or bolts.
Austere Emancipator
Then they created effective firearms and all that armor was rendered obsolete for centuries.
The Jopp
Then they created effective firearms and all that armor was rendered obsolete for centuries.

I have no personal problem with an arrow doing 13P that might be staged up to 15-16 or so – my only gripe is how it works against vehicles.

Against personal armour they should function as usual, but there is no way that a piece of metal 2 by 2 inches (roughly) and a metal/composite shaft weighting 1/20 of a kilogram would have a chance to go through any kind of thick metal.

Against vehicles I’d count an arrow as a single bullet trying to go through a barrier (DV2) since it lacks the mass and kinetic force (combination of speed and weight in this case) to actually penetrated several inches of steel (in the case of a tank).

The arrow would most probably shatter on impact with the arrow head either ricocheting of the armour or lodging 0,5” into the metal, and the shaft would disintegrate.

Another simple solution is that a projectile weapon without an AP modifier cannot affect vehicles.
hyzmarca

The deciline of the armored knight has less to do with the penetrating power of the firearm and more to do with its low cost and its ease of use.

In general, early blackpower firearms don't fare well against the longbow. They have inferior range, inferior accuracy and often have inferior penetrating power comparied to the longbow. Their advantage is that a longbow requires years of training to use with speed and accuracy. A regiment of gunners can be trained in a few weeks. Likewise, a musket cast from metal is more quickly produced than a handmade wooden bow. The gun makes a conscript army far more practical than it would otherswise be. Since armor is expensive and usually only owned by wealthy nobels there is little use for it in a conscripted peasant army.

Of course, modern cartridges fired from modern rifles are far more powerful than and far more accurate than imperfectly formed lead balls fired from blackpowder muskets. A bow shouldn't have more penetrating power than an antimaterials rifle.
Austere Emancipator
I included the word "effective" for a reason. smile.gif

Were it all about low cost and ease of use, it would have been the crossbow that would have ruled the battlefield from the 16th century onwards. A simple crossbow with a steel prod was cheap as dirt compared to a cast iron firearm and no harder to use -- as late as the 17th century, you could have bought a cuirass, pauldrons and helmet, capable of stopping any arrows or bolts, at about the same price as a flintlock firearm, while a crossbow would have been worth a fraction of that.

But while armorers could reasonably claim their suits were "proof" against crossbows at least since the 13th century, it was a losing battle as soon as Europeans figured out how to make effective use of gunpowder, and by the 17th century at the latest hot lead had decimated steel.

Any normal bow shouldn't have more penetrating power than a blackpowder musket and its imperfectly formed lead balls, and even a siege weapon ("troll bow") wouldn't come close to what we can do with a rifle (not AMR) now (e.g. 12mm RHA at 100 meters for a 7.62x51mm M993 AP).
James McMurray
An arrowhead on a troll sized bow is at least as big as a heavy pistol round, perhaps bigger. It deals over twice as much damage as that pistol round. So why is it hard to believe that it could penetrate armor better?

If the answer has lots of boring ballistics math in it, just tell me "trust me, science says so." smile.gif
hobgoblin
something tells me this is one more debate that will never end...
James McMurray
Have any DS debates ever ended?
hobgoblin
there are some that basicly go into extended hibernation, but some topics keep showing up again at a regular basis...

btw, getting into a projectile weapon debate with austere is a interesting, if frustrating, way of killing time...
Butterblume
The thread about trolls and bows comes around regularly. Another one, the Called Shot Thread, is overdue ...
Austere Emancipator
This particular bow-topic usually doesn't get carried too long. A few dozen posts, and people get tired of saying how b0wz r0x0r.

James McMurray: Ability to cause damage to unarmored humans and the ability to penetrate armor are not necessarily related in any way. When looking at the "troll bow" at 13P, try and compare it to a HMG (1.5oz of tungsten carbide at 3000+fps) instead of a heavy pistol. Picture in your mind a 9oz arrow hitting 0.5" or more of steel armor plating (that's equivalent to more than 10 of the best breastplates ever made before the 20th century) at 300fps. If you can imagine it penetrating it cleanly, you should stop dropping acid. Also: "science says so."

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
btw, getting into a projectile weapon debate with austere is a interesting, if frustrating, way of killing time...

Why frustrating?
CrimsonHawk
ok so we have the bow what about the crossbow? I see in cannon comanion that there is an automatic reloading crossbow, so for instance, if you get a hvy crossbow and moded it to repeat could you make something like the one in (van helsing) that had like
50 to 100 rounds and fired quite fast? biggrin.gif

now in Earth Dawn I had a troll archer that could kill things with his troll bow and his dmg was astronomical (poor horrors)
Squinky
Going from a magazine of four bolts ( I assume one is readied so five total) would be a stretch, but I could imagine an extended magazine that allowed a few more. Guess it all depends on what kind of game you are playing in.
Kanada Ten
Full auto, belt feed, explosive fragmentation, rocket boosted crossbows... for vampire hunting.
Shrike30
Rocket-assist... ooo, best way ever to lose your eyebrows biggrin.gif
raleel
*sigh*

I had a 2 page post on this and firefox crashed, but I'll put up the short short short verison. I know it's not 100% accurate, but it's pretty close. Some physics guys can finish up the rest.
--
troll height - 2.5m - 98.4 inches - call it 100
gorilla arm span ratio - 1.47 (1.479 male, 1.466)

if we use the same ratio (not unreasonable, it's described as much longer,humans are 1.03/1.00)
troll arm span - 147 inches or 367.5cm

draw length = arm span / 2.5 (hunterfriend.com)
so, troll draw length
58.8inches or 147cm (right in the neighborhood of 1.5 meters or just under 2 yards)

draw weight - I had to fudge this a bit. Turns out, the lift over the head number (page 130) is reasonable for determining a draw weight (str 3 gives 66#, which is about right for the average joe, 4-5 gives english longbow weights). So, str 15 troll has a 330# draw bow, a str 10 troll has a 220# draw

minimum weight of arrow
5 grains per pound, International Bowhunters Organization. Heavier arrows give more kinetic energy, less noise, but more chance for the target to react and drop off quicker at range.

so, str 15 troll - 1650 grain (107g)
str 10 troll - 1100 grain (71.2g)

So, short of it, trolls use arrows just under 2 yards long, weigh about 1/5 a pound. A quick check with some other info shows this is probably way off, because most arrows are in the neighborhood of more like 7-10 grams per inch, and this is more like 2 smile.gif Still, some of the measurements are likely useful.

Doc-Pond-Water
I do not know the physics all that well, but I have a decent amount of experience with archery and it makes me shiver to think what would happen if a 'troll bow' were have a string snap after it is pulled, but before release. I have heard that a current compound bow can take off fingers if stuff goes real bad with the bowstring. When I was 13 or so I had a string snap on my bow, it was nothing (saying the obvious) like what we are talking about, yet it did leave a "whip mark" on my forearm that wept a few drops.

My point as a GM would be this. A bow meant to handle that much pull would likely be a piece of custom work. Arrows of that kind of length would also be custom work. Arrows meant for that kind of velocity would also be custom. Everyone who shoots compound, or to some extent modern recurve bows, knows you do not use wooden arrows with bows with strong pulls, or the string just might split your arrow in half length wise. Remember that even a troll is made out of flesh, that much tension being put on any material and then put so close to a person could turn out very bad for who ever is holding it.

My two cents given at a discount

raleel
I don't know how custom it would be, because those sorts of things are relative, but I would agree across the board that you could likely have a thicker bowstring, or a better material. Kevlar seems like a perfectly reasonable option, having a tensile strength and common availablility. Carbon nanotubes are even stronger. To put some perspective on it, wikipedia says kevlar has a tensile strength of 3620 MPa (3620000 Pa, or about 525 psi). Carbon nanotubes (nanofiber sin this case, I would guess) in the lab currently can get 63GPa (about 9137377 psi).

The force on a snap, though, would likely be equivalent to a monofilament whip swung by Big D.

One might expect that with special strong holders (or stout gloves) that it might be possible. It would also probably be thicker than a human sized bowstring, which is more like 5mm. Another source online says that english longbow bowstrings had to be able to hold 4x the draw weight.

No doubt. it's going to be a meaty bow, likely firing arrows that are on the order of 10-20mm (based on "the biggest carbon fiber arrow on the market" at 24/64 inches, guessing that a regular arrow is more in the 16-20/64 range). They likely have a thicker wall to hold off the force of the bowstring.

I suppose I'll go through and put together some real numbers and sanity check them.
blakkie
It wouldn't be a fingers or even fingers with gloves deal, they'd be using a release aid.
Dissonance
Who on earth is making these Strength Ten Bows, in the first place? I can't imagine that there's, well, _any_ legal market for a bow with a draw strength of OMG/WIN.

In a sane world, I would imagine that bows cap off at a certain strength. Likely somewhere around six. Eight, if you want to be crazy.

Then again, Shadowrun isn't about making sense. Sometimes, it's about making The Green Arrow With Super Monkey Arms And Chitinous Plating. Anchoring, anybody?
Kanada Ten
Considering that in the wilds one must deal with critters such the bandersnatch and behemoth, along with hundreds of other armored nasties, I doubt they would limit the strength of bows below the strength of trolls. It's more a question of diminishing returns vs exponentially increasing costs (two things SR doesn't take into account here).
Shrike30
Considering that AK-98s sell on the street for 500 nuyen, I doubt there's serious legislation or enforcement efforts in place to try and limit troll archer assassins.
Butterblume
One clever person I know brought up the idea that the bow-rating is limited by the skill of the bow-maker.
So, the best bow would be a rating 9. Probably one to three persons in the world could build one.

I admit, this idea has it's weak points, but I like it, so I think I will use it.
Jaid
until someone comes up with a machine sprite with a bowmaking autosoft.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012