Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dudukain's Dedicated Character Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Grogs)
The biggest thing that stands out to me is that, at the age of 19 he had enough clout to order an entire DocWagon crew to do something they knew was against SOP. If he was a 15 year veteran and senior man on the team, OK, but at 19, I'd expect this guy to be the green wet behind the ears new guy. They would have told him to shut up and sit down when he started the whole 'screw extraterritoriality' spiel.

Perhaps they were all wet behind he ears and he was the veteran of a few tours at 19. (shrug)
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Dudukain)
Born in Atlanta in the CAS in 2044, he worked with Docwagon until 2063...

Perhaps this is a sticking point. It doesn't seem to mention when he STARTED working for DocWagon. The DocWagon drill is outlined in the Missions book from a past edition. I'm not looking at it right now but I don't think DocWagon medics are particularly skilled, which would imply that they don't necessarily need to be very old. Will be right back with more info.
Grogs
QUOTE (coolgrafix)
Perhaps he's been away from DocWagon too long and his skills have atrophied.

Actually, that's pretty accurate compared to RL. I used to run as an EMT with a volunteer rescue squad and my medic skills were probabaly on the level of a 3, judging by the description. Many years later, they may well be down to a 1. You would hope that wouldn't happen in-game though. It would suck to have to spend karma just to keep a skill at its present level.

QUOTE (coolgrafix)
If Dudu's like me, though, he was simply thinking more about what he wanted to do in-game versus what skills would justify his background. It's an easy trap to fall into and not even be aware of it. =(

I've fallen into that trap myself. I think it really depends on the group you're with. In some groups, it's all about the numbers and geting the most powerful character you can within the rules. In others, it's mostly about roleplay.

That doesn't change my opinion about a 19 year old convincing his team to do something though. Hell, I'm in my thirties, and it's still hard to be taken seriously by a lot of people because I'm still too young. Again, referring back to my EMT days, we had guys who had been doing it for 20 years or more. They would have just blown me off if I had started some rant of 'we're here to help people.'
Glyph
Did he actually convince his team? It sounded more to me like he told them off, then did it himself. I didn't get the impression that he got the others to actually go along with him.
coolgrafix
From The Neo-Anarchists Guide to Real Life (from SR2) page 46...

"...HTR (High Threat Response) teams are made up of seven members who fall into two distinct categories of training. Three medical personnel, trained and equipped in much the same way as the personnel who make up SRTs (Standard Respone Teams) and CRTs (Crisis Response Teams), provide medical care to the client."

"The other four members of the HTR team function as 'threat support personnel.' This group protects the medical team and the client from hostile action during the pickup. Though all DocWagon personnel receive medical training, threat support personnel receive a majority of their training and experience in combat."

Regarding SRTs, page 45...

"An SRT includes the personnel and equipment required to treat and release victims of minor accidents or injuries. In more serious cases, this team stabilizes the victim on-site, then transports him or her to a DocWagon clinic for additional care."

Regarding CRTs, page 45...

"...Incidents requiring a Crisis Response Team (CRT) typically include large, multi-vehicle accidents, fires, earthquakes, gang wars, and so on."

Regarding leadership roles in DocWagon teams, page 45...

"...In an environment with high active threat, however, DocWagon standard operating procedures (SOP) authorizes an SRT to attempt service, but nothing more. The team leader decides how to handle the situation, and usually calls in an HTR."

I mentioned this last bit to emphasize the possibility that our intrepid 19 year old was likely a "threat support" person and also a team leader in that role. Given that (somewhat unlikely assumption) then it's perfectly reasonable that he called the shots.

Also of note, the above-quoted out-of-print book is available as a PDF download for $8 at BattleShop.
coolgrafix
Additionally on this point, NAGRL page 98 lists an example Threat Support guy whose only medical skill is Biotech 1 (remember it's SR2). Medical Personnel example has two medical skills: Biotech 5 and Cybertechnology 1.
Dudukain
Whoops, It's the second character that was the background for, the adept. HIS first aid is 4

Also, keep in mind Orks have shorter lifespans then humans, which means they probably mature faster. Nineteen for an ork is probably something like 25 for a human...
Geekkake
And here I was, hoping these ridiculous dedicated character threads, originally created to keep emo samurai from spamming the boards, were finally going away...
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Geekkake @ Jun 22 2006, 04:25 PM)
And here I was, hoping these ridiculous dedicated character threads, originally created to keep emo samurai from spamming the boards, were finally going away...

Geek, you are getting to be about as much fun as SL James in a discussion about Szeto's or Ancient History 's fiction. Move on. =)

I find these dedicated character threads terribly interesting and educational. My own thread contained some very helpful critical posts that I have since used to improve the character discussed. I think there should be more of these types of posts, not fewer. Sure beats the "I can't figure out movement.... Do I divide my movement rate by my number of passes or the highest number of passes" type questions. =)

The beauty, of course, is that these types of threads are easily ignored by folks like yourself if they so choose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012