Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do RPG players dislike depressing settings?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Witness
QUOTE (2bit)
Pay attention, because I'm about to reveal the key to a brilliant Shadowrun campaign.

Cyberpunk is about losing your soul to get ahead. The Shadowrun setting is full of examples of this, from cyberware and its essence cost, to the world of megacorps. Likewise, anything your players consider a gain needs to come at a price. If they cheat this rule, karma comes to kick them in the ass later.

Early in your campaign, let each character visibly see their definition of success. Then, over the course of the campaign, make each one compromise everything to get it. That should leave everyone with a nice hollow feeling at the end.

That kind of suffering is what people crave in a cyberpunk setting.

Yup. Like that.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (2bit)
Pay attention, because I'm about to reveal the key to a brilliant Shadowrun campaign.

Cyberpunk is about losing your soul to get ahead. The Shadowrun setting is full of examples of this, from cyberware and its essence cost, to the world of megacorps. Likewise, anything your players consider a gain needs to come at a price. If they cheat this rule, karma comes to kick them in the ass later.

Early in your campaign, let each character visibly see their definition of success. Then, over the course of the campaign, make each one compromise everything to get it. That should leave everyone with a nice hollow feeling at the end.

Okay now, get off the high horse-ride machine and grow up.

You may crave that. I don't. In fact I want nothing of it. So go get your elitist "grit" notions out of my face, before two large trolls remove you from my presence.
Platinum
Some people crave brilliance and some don't.
nezumi
I have to agree with 2bit. That would make an awesome campaign, and the games I've had the most invested in emotionally are more like that than just going on random runs and saving up more cash for cyber.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (2bit)

And what of those characters/players who refuse to compromise? Then you essentially punish them endlessly for playing a character the way they want as opposed to they way you want them to. Compromise should be the easy way out, not the only way out.
nezumi
The point is either they compromise their lesser values (family, self-respect, body, etc.) or they compromise their driving goal (enough money to get out of this hell-hole, a cure for his terminal disease, saving his wife).

If he chooses not to compromise his lesser goals, he doesn't achieve his greater goal. If his greater goal is something stupid, that's okay, the PC will just be left floating without ever achieving anything of note. If his greater goal is something good or cool, then he just wussed out and basic lost.
Forever Zero
QUOTE (nezumi)
If his greater goal is something good or cool, then he just wussed out and basic lost.

I don't know if I would say that. "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" Depending on what you have to compromise to get it, sometimes achieving your goal could be worse then giving up the opportunity. If a runner had the chance for the Big Payout that lets him escape the shadows and live out his days wealthy and secure, but had to betray his team and his family to get it, it might be something that haunts him for the rest of his life (Hey, even Shadowrunners have things they just won't do).

Personally, I'd be interested to be a player in a campaign like that, but I don't think I would run one like that unless the players wanted that.
nezumi
QUOTE (Forever Zero)
Depending on what you have to compromise to get it, sometimes achieving your goal could be worse then giving up the opportunity.

Exactly! And that was the point of 2bits post, you put them in that position.

On the flip side, if you don't give it all up and you let yourself be scum of the street forever more, you either didn't really want that goal, or you'll be forever asking "what if I'd just done that one last thing? I wouldn't have to be eating dog food now and picking fleas out of my hair. I wouldn't have this bothersome rash around my genitals and I wouldn't have to drink puddle water.'
Glyph
Or maybe you'll still achieve your goal, and it will just take a bit longer. But when you do, you will not have any regrets about how you got there. Shadowrun should have moral dilemmas and temptations. However, a GM who tries to make players sell out with plot hammer contrivances is not being "gritty" - he's just being an asshat. Not every player wants to simulate Dogfight.
Brahm
The keys to a brilliant campaign, Shadowrun and otherwise:

Ninjas, pirates, and MP-5s. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (mfb)
i treat it as an option. you can earn karma the normal way, and if you want, you can buy it (with GM approval, for specific purposes delineated upon proposal, in limited quantities).

of course, different writers at different times have had some pretty fucked up ideas about in-game morality. like that one scene in Sprawl Sites, where the only way you could earn any karma for the encounter is to shave an NPC's hair off. actually killing anyone would net the characters 0 karma.

It was a mullet, right?
Kalvan
In the games I play, grit is what happens.

It's not that Mr. Johnson screws you over, it's that even he is kept out of the loop about the true purpose of the run and he's left out to dry even more than you. It's about taking a midnight run for what you think is the Draco Foundation, and finding out that it really benefitted Humanis, or worse, the Bugs. It's about having to chose between either kowtowing to (insert crime syndicate here), turning your best friend over to General Saito so that he can take an all espenses paid trip to Yomi, or else resorting to Blood Magic to get the meds that just might (no guarantees) cure the terminally ill stepmother of your significant other.

I's not IMPOSSIBLE to make that big score (or whatever your big goal in life is) without compromising your principles, but the opportunities to do so are of a blink-and-you'll miss-it nature so fleeting they make John Woo gun battles in real time feel like bullet time.

Thenkfully, except for a certain Swiss Army Magic Munchkin who shall remain nameless (I'm almost sure he's a lurker here), most of my players have more realistic expectations (like opening up a restaraunt, runner bar or magic shop, or graduating from running to fixing or fencing, or that sort of thing. My own charecter wants revenge against Aztechnology (long story) but since he's an elf, he's willing to wait a while while more pressing matters (like food, clean clothes, and a nice [for Pullyup] roof over his head) take precedence.
Wounded Ronin
For me the biggest problem with the compelling idea of everyone having to compromise on their goals is that whenever I GMed, and because of my no-fudging GM style, I cannot tailor the campaign to the characters. In my experience, people change their characters often, and every single game I've ever planned has been generic rather than tailored to certain characters. I've really not ever spent a lot of time on any one character's motivtions or background because of the high turnover rate.

It's the same thing with myself as a player. I get bored with my characters after a few months and then change. I actually like turnover better than keeping the same characters because 1.) it keeps karma pools at a reasonable size and 2.) there's less pdeath drama.
SL James
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 13 2006, 06:22 PM)
i treat it as an option. you can earn karma the normal way, and if you want, you can buy it (with GM approval, for specific purposes delineated upon proposal, in limited quantities).

of course, different writers at different times have had some pretty fucked up ideas about in-game morality. like that one scene in Sprawl Sites, where the only way you could earn any karma for the encounter is to shave an NPC's hair off. actually killing anyone would net the characters 0 karma.

It was a mullet, right?

Nope. A gang leader's sister's waist-length hair.
2bit
-thanks nez-
Look:

In cyberpunk, the world is an antagonist. It's called The System.
You just treat it like one.
The System's goal is to eat people's souls. It's that simple. It uses the threat of poverty to keep them spinning their wheels in the rat race, ultimately accomplishing nothing. It reserves wealth, power, and security for those who breed violence, poverty, and depression in others. It uses your players' goals as bargaining chips to hollow them out.

If you have a player that wants revenge more than anything else in the world, then the system's goal is to take everything else from them until they cease to be a person and become revenge. Present them, subtley, with choices that further their goal but cost them something they cherish.

The system can't really be "beaten", unless one is powerful enough to turn the world upside down; but plenty of people fight it, and they do so using love, self sacrifice, truth, and all those other goody good things that don't pay the bills.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 14 2006, 04:54 PM)

It was a mullet, right?

Shaving a woman's long hair in order to shame her? That's awfully retro.

Then again, I've seen it in Japanese women's pro wrestling.
SL James
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (SL James @ Jun 14 2006, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jun 14 2006, 04:54 PM)

It was a mullet, right?

Shaving a woman's long hair in order to shame her? That's awfully retro.

Then again, I've seen it in Japanese women's pro wrestling.

Nope. Revenge.

See, someone added hair remover to the shampoo the other gang leader's woman used on her long precious hair. Ergo, vengeance must be exacted.
nezumi
QUOTE (Glyph)
Or maybe you'll still achieve your goal, and it will just take a bit longer.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe another chance will come up. Maybe you'll be in the gutter for the rest of your life. While you're fighting for that second chance, you'll be wondering 'what if'. But no matter what, it won't come up without sacrifice, and the greater the goal, the more the sacrifice.

Not every player wants to simulate Dogfight.

Don't be ridiculous. Dogfight was the single best short story ever written. If you aren't willing to torture your girlfriend and steal self-respect from cripples to win a video game, you might as well not even play.
Wounded Ronin
Besides, your girlfriend might be submissive.
Glyph
QUOTE (Nezumi @ Jun 15 2006, 11:56 AM)

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jun 14 2006, 04:53 PM)
Or maybe you'll still achieve your goal, and it will just take a bit longer.

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe another chance will come up. Maybe you'll be in the gutter for the rest of your life. While you're fighting for that second chance, you'll be wondering 'what if'. But no matter what, it won't come up without sacrifice, and the greater the goal, the more the sacrifice.

Shadowrun being a game, if my character is stuck in the gutter too long, I'll just say, "This game really blows. See ya."

Not every player wants to simulate Dogfight.

Don't be ridiculous. Dogfight was the single best short story ever written. If you aren't willing to torture your girlfriend and steal self-respect from cripples to win a video game, you might as well not even play.

It was a great story, but I would hate for the GM to try to cram my character into a role from a story. I'm not into characters who give in to their weakness and then whine about it. My characters are more decisive. Either they are good people who don't betray their core principles (which still leaves plenty of room for moral ambiguity, hypocrisy, etc.), or they are amoral people who do the wrong thing, then just shrug it off. That's the trouble of trying to force a genre mood onto a game. It's great to have a distopian setting, as long as you realize that not every player is going to be an angsty loser. Well, okay, maybe they will be. But their characters might not always be.
knasser
I'm all for a gritty game, but I don't enforce the players reactions and I don't use "gritty" as a justification for preventing a character's actions from making a difference. If anything, I think that a dark setting makes the light stand out more. Someone mentioned Ravenloft. The original supplement was very well written and above all it was gothic. And I mean that in the literary sense. You might have been pursued by werewolves, but you'd be fleeing through the most beautiful mountain gorges and moonlit-valleys that Nature could provide. The same can be applied to a Shadowrun game. It may be wild to run your game in the dark steaming streets most of the time, but you should also use that as an opportunity to get a wow from the players when they're on a roof and get a rare moment of beauty, looking down at the glittering city from on high.

As to 2bit's notion that Shadowrun is about "losing your soul to get ahead." You can shoehorn sammies into that, but it really doesn't fit with magicians. Initiation clearly reflects greater enlightenment and insight. And it rewards you with [a player goal] more power. I see Shadowrun, as most of my games are, as a very positive experience. When I make the World dark, it is so that the light of a few can shine even brighter. Some players like high fantasy where their actions will shape a kingdom. Other players (usually older) can't believe in that degree of sunshine and need something a bit more overcast... but they're still looking for a game where they can make a difference. A game where the PC leper seeks to bring down the local corrupt police chief before he dies will work. A game where the office manager buys a big TV to watch the football on, will not work. Grit or fantasy doesn't matter, player consequence does.
2bit
That's a good point about the magic system. When I read through SR4 initiation I was disappointed to not see any mention of groups, their (IIRC) spirit patrons, or trials. Mmm, don't remember if trial is the right word, whatever you call it when you cut on yourself, fast, go on a metaplane quest, or what have you for initiation. It got hammered down into a simple karma cost and "time spent".

Is anyone interested in discussing how to bring some of the sacrifice back into magic? I feel that under normal circumstances it's better to offer the player a "favorable tradeoff" than a gift.
hyzmarca
Sanitized: The PCs slaughter a cave full of pitufully weak kobolds and are praised as heroes when they return to the villiage.

Gritty: The PCs slaughter of cave full of pittifully weak kobolds and are confronted by dozens of helpless kobold toddlers cowering in fear and weeping over their parent's corpses.
SL James
Solution: Cleansing fire.
ShadowDragon8685
*whistle* Alignment infraction! Ten-Thousand XP penalty!
Crusher Bob
A much better solution, as the kobold todders are too low CR to give you any XP, haul them back to the village and let the villagers kill them. Since the villagers are only lvl 1, they can still derive xp from killing such low CR monsters.
SL James
Yeah, but then you have to kill the villagers.

Hm... On second thought.
knasser
QUOTE (2bit @ Jun 16 2006, 03:03 PM)
Is anyone interested in discussing how to bring some of the sacrifice back into magic?  I feel that under normal circumstances it's better to offer the player a "favorable tradeoff" than a gift.

Bearing in mind that I disagree very much with enforcing sacrifices on the players the obvious tack to take would be how increasing enlightenment and power separates the magician from his fellow man.

As one attempts to seek greater spiritual knowledge it is all too easy for someone to care less and less about the "mundane" world around them. Examples would be losing interest in friends, lovers as nothing compares to the spiritual masturbation that is advanced meditation and initiation. This is a real trap that people can fall into.

As ones world becomes increasingly filled with mysticism, symbolism and Great Truths™, it is quite possible to see the "mundane" world as having less significance. Who cares if Tony Blair and Bush are figureheading a return to totalitarianism - it's part of the great rolling wheel of karma and the physical world is mere gross matter anyhow. People may be miserable, but its their own inability or willingness to escape the illusion of matter and there's nothing you need do for them.

As one places one's value increasingly on the invisible, one's dedication to social norms becomes increasinly weaker. When your astral form is a beacon for all to see, what do your clothes, or your worldly goods or hygiene matter? The archetype we're familiar with is the madman, the hermit or the beggar with the gift of prophecy. Picture your hermetic mage, out of his head on Qabballah, finally having reached grade 10th initiate, lying in a gutter in a state of bliss. He has so dedicated himself to the pursuit of magic that all other considerations are long forgotten. Having finally purged himself of concern for comfort, security, social respect, he is magic. With a thought he can conjure riches or make people love him. In achieving total mastery, there is nothing he needs or desires any longer. Changing his name to Oroborus, he projects from his body and disappears up his own astral sphincter never to be heard of again.

Because the price of spiritual advancement is so personal, it requires pretty intense role-playing to capture it. You could hint at it in game by having loved ones grow increasingly distant, play up the length of time that it takes to initiate, or the flatness of the world after the metaplanes. After all, karma represents something vital and if you're meditating or questing all the time, you're not not investing it in those you care about.

But if you inflict this on your players (and why aren't you playing Mage or Vampire, anyway), then you must complete the circle and bring them back at the end. The purpose of the magician's quest is not to remain with the godhead for ever more, but to return to the world and bring back a little of the light she has found. Jesus returns from the wilderness, Zarathustra comes down from the mountain and Mohammed finishes talking with the archangel and is kind enough to pass on the Cliff's Notes for the rest of us. Divinity is the final trap of the spiritual quest and every body should have a chance to overcome that and realise the significance of the mundane world around us.

As some Zen bloke once said:
"Before enlightement - fetching logs, carrying water. After enlightenment - fetching logs, carrying water."
Brahm
QUOTE (2bit)
That's a good point about the magic system. When I read through SR4 initiation I was disappointed to not see any mention of groups, their (IIRC) spirit patrons, or trials.

No way they could have crammed groups and all tho good stuff into the core book in any sort of meaningful way. IMO it was more than good enough that they got Initiation itself moved into the core book. Wait a month for your Street Magic PDF, and if it isn't in there then sign me up for the innevitable Burn A Writer crusade. smile.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

No! Because all Kobolds are Evil! Says so right in the book. wink.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jun 16 2006, 10:01 PM)

Assuming that killing evil beings is a good thing, Paladins are still bound to fight honorably so they can't kill defenseless toddlers. If there were one in theparty he'd be struck down by his god instantly and ressurrected as a Death Knight by some evil deity. They do have Death Knights in 3.5?

But why you are killing evil creatures in the first place? Haven't you played Planescape: Torment? Don't you known that evil beings become petitioners in Balor once they die and are forced to serve as footsoldiers in the endless Blood War? Do you really want to add fuel to that? That's just evil. You should be killing Good beings so they can be eternally happy on one of the Upper Planes. That is the good, just, and morally right thing to do. Killing evil beings should cause an alignment penality.

QUOTE (2bit)
Is anyone interested in discussing how to bring some of the sacrifice back into magic? I feel that under normal circumstances it's better to offer the player a "favorable tradeoff" than a gift.

Bringing Sacrifce back into magic is easy but it requires a houserule. By canon PCs aren't allowed to take that metamagic or the matching geas.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Sanitized: The PCs slaughter a cave full of pitufully weak kobolds and are praised as heroes when they return to the villiage.

Gritty: The PCs slaughter of cave full of pittifully weak kobolds and are confronted by dozens of helpless kobold toddlers cowering in fear and weeping over their parent's corpses.

How It Really Happened: Characters kill kobold leaders and warriors, chain up the toddlers and other leftovers, return to the village as heros, and sell kobold slaves to farmers across the ocean. They then seek out other kobold "infestations" and build a slave trading empire, but are assassinated by the king, who then takes control of the trade through the South Greyhawk Tea Company.
Brahm
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 17 2006, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jun 17 2006, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jun 16 2006, 10:01 PM)

Assuming that killing evil beings is a good thing, Paladins are still bound to fight honorably so they can't kill defenseless toddlers. If there were one in theparty he'd be struck down by his god instantly and ressurrected as a Death Knight by some evil deity. They do have Death Knights in 3.5?

It isn't so much a fight as taking out the trash. cool.gif

What, they aren't able to swat unarmed mosquitoes either? ohplease.gif It's stupid rulings like that, in combination with the idiocy of Alignment, that gives the Paladin class such a bad name. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (2bit)

Magic is, ultimately and inextricably, the essence of the Horrors. Anything done with it, anything at all, feeds and strengthens the Horrors and allows the tendrils of hate and fear and rage further into the mage. Immortal Elves can stand to Initiate repeatedly because of the amount of time they can spread their journey out over, but a double-digit Human initiate is on the short path to being a spree killer.

~J, totally not canon.
eidolon
Meh, alignment is stupid when run by the clueless.
John Campbell
s/ when run by the clueless//
hyzmarca
Alignment is stupid period. The cannot take into account the subtle complexities of human motivation.

The D&D alignment system is even worse because of its inconsistency. The Lawful/Chaotic paradigm suffers from the fact that laws are different depending on your jurisdiction and it is possible to obey one while violating another. Say, for example, a King orders a Knight to act as a spy in an enemy kingdom. Espionage is unlawful but so is disobeying th king.

The Good/Evil dichotomy suffers from other problems. In some ways, they are treated as personal moral choices. The good person will be helful and kind. The evil person will be selfish and cruel. However, they are also treated as tangible forces and broad philosophical concepts. A Paladin should be able to use the Hand of Vecna to champoin the cause of Justice but he cannot because his isn't 'Evil' as if evil were a tangible thing.
However, on the broader scope it is quite possible that the 'Evil' philosophy is the correct philosophy. We see this in Placescape: Torment.

[ Spoiler ]

So, we are left with a contradictory situation where 'Evil' can be more good than 'Good.'

But back to my original point. The difference between a gritty and a sanitary game isn't that your PCs can't get the clap from a whore in the sanatary game. The difference is that the enemies in the sanitary game are caracitures. They are the bad guy just because they are and they have no redeeming qualities. In the gritty game they are real people with hopes and dreams and families. In the gritty game you hurt innocent people when you kill your enemies. You hurt innocent people just by putting them in prision.
In the sanitary games there is an army of good and an army of evil. In gritty games there are two morally ambiguous armies that fueled by nationalism and patriotism.
The sanitary games the good guys always win when if the PCs die they will be replaced. In gritty games there are no good guys and victory has the same moral consequences as failure; the only difference is who the bad things happen to.
eidolon
I love reading the repetitious and wholly unoriginal arguments against the alignment system. If you don't like it, don't use it.

I'll say this, because it's the simplest answer to your "philosophical quandaries". Good and evil are real and tangible things, to use words that you've misapplied. Good and evil are not relativistic in D&D. If you choose to play it as such, it will start to break down, just as will any real world argument in which the question of good vs. evil is raised. However, the good, evil, law and chaos of the D&D world are not the good, evil, law and chaos of our own.

Reading your knee-jerk rant-post, it's painfully obvious that you have little understanding of the D&D alignment system, its history in the game, its application, and its use (thinking that the overarching axis of Law literally means "follow the laws all the time because it's the law", for example). Feel free not to use it, but just some friendly advice, you make yourself look like a jackass when you try to make "reasoned" statements based on half-baked knowledge.

[/my posts on a topic that belongs on the WotC boards]
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (knasser)

But if you inflict this on your players (and why aren't you playing Mage or Vampire, anyway), then you must complete the circle and bring them back at the end. The purpose of the magician's quest is not to remain with the godhead for ever more, but to return to the world and bring back a little of the light she has found. Jesus returns from the wilderness, Zarathustra comes down from the mountain and Mohammed finishes talking with the archangel and is kind enough to pass on the Cliff's Notes for the rest of us. Divinity is the final trap of the spiritual quest and every body should have a chance to overcome that and realise the significance of the mundane world around us.

Thank you, Joseph Campbell. biggrin.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
A much better solution, as the kobold todders are too low CR to give you any XP, haul them back to the village and let the villagers kill them. Since the villagers are only lvl 1, they can still derive xp from killing such low CR monsters.

The best part about that is that killing kobold toddlers will actually help the farmers level up and become better farmers.

Farmer Joe: Man, my apple trees just aren't doing well even though I fertilize them and everything. What's the matter, Farmer Mack? Yours always look great.

Farmer Mack: Well, see, I'm a level 3 farmer whereas you're only a level 1 farmer.

Farmer Joe: How do I become a level 3 farmer?

Farmer Mack: Kill about 30 kobold toddlers.

Farmer Joe: What?

Farmer Mack: Seriously. I killed a bunch and all my crops started doing better. I also have three times as many hit points as you now also.
mfb
i have to agree with eidolon. the D&D system works just fine, if you use it as intended rather than using it as a straightjacket. the knight who is ordered to spy on an enemy kingdom will obey the rule of his king, and respect the law of the nation he's spying on as much as possible. being lawful doesn't mean you have to obey every random law you run into--it means that you believe that things generally work better if you color inside the lines. as for the PS:T situation, that's not good versus evil, that's good versus law:

[ Spoiler ]
Rock
QUOTE (nezumi)
The point is either they compromise their lesser values (family, self-respect, body, etc.) or they compromise their driving goal (enough money to get out of this hell-hole, a cure for his terminal disease, saving his wife).

If he chooses not to compromise his lesser goals, he doesn't achieve his greater goal. If his greater goal is something stupid, that's okay, the PC will just be left floating without ever achieving anything of note. If his greater goal is something good or cool, then he just wussed out and basic lost.

As a player, I don't want to spend a year or two in a campaign that is an exercise in nihilistic futility (unless I know ahead of time that is what it is going to be). I play for escapist fantasy. Shadowrun, BattleTech, Star Wars RPG, Top Secret S.I. are all diversions to me that allow me to do something I simply can't in real life. HArd moral choices that ultimately are no win scenarios? I can see that everyday in real life.

Do I take the job in the new city and lose my girlfriend or stay in the dead end job I have now, but please her?
Do I give my life savings to my brother who is in trouble, knowing all the while he'll never pay it back?
Do I tell my best friend that his wife is cheating on him?

A campaign like you describe might be great for some people, but I want to play a game that is fun with a few challenges, not one that is designed right from the beginning for me to never be able to get ahead in.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Full Metal Jacket: The PCs wield M60 machineguns in one hand while feeding the belt with the other and stride through the cave blasting the kobold toddlers apart while saying GET SOME GET SOME GET SOME.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb)
i have to agree with eidolon. the D&D system works just fine, if you use it as intended rather than using it as a straightjacket.

But the alignment system is a straightjacket. Asside from roleplaying fluff its primary purpose is to determine which magical items you can and cannot use and which classes you can and cannot be.
Wounded Ronin
Dude, where was that golem in Planescape? I don't think I've ever found him.
hyzmarca
[ Spoiler ]
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
[ Spoiler ]

Thanks. I guess I still haven't managed to do everything in that game; usually I'd just go through the route of winning the game through high WIS since high WIS tended to give you the best dialogue options anyway.
mfb
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
But the alignment system is a straightjacket. Asside from roleplaying fluff its primary purpose is to determine which magical items you can and cannot use and which classes you can and cannot be.

well, yeah. what's the point of having an alignment system if it's not integrated into the game? that doesn't make it a straightjacket, though, any more than saying that you can't play a hermetic mage who summons nature spirits is a straightjacket. it's simply an aspect of the game.
eidolon
*sigh*

[my posts on a topic that belongs on the WotC boards]

(So I'm bored. I'm packing up my house to move. How exciting... Taking judicious breaks, much furthering the irritation of my wife. embarrassed.gif biggrin.gif)

Back to topic:

Nope. Or rather, only if you see it as such and allow that to color your approach to playing the game.

Alignment is no more a straightjacket than your character class, your race, or your wizard's daily spell selection. All are part of the game that is D&D.

edit>>Ooops. What mfb said. wink.gif
2bit
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (2bit @ Jun 16 2006, 03:03 PM)
Is anyone interested in discussing how to bring some of the sacrifice back into magic?  I feel that under normal circumstances it's better to offer the player a "favorable tradeoff" than a gift.

Magic is, ultimately and inextricably, the essence of the Horrors. Anything done with it, anything at all, feeds and strengthens the Horrors and allows the tendrils of hate and fear and rage further into the mage. Immortal Elves can stand to Initiate repeatedly because of the amount of time they can spread their journey out over, but a double-digit Human initiate is on the short path to being a spree killer.

~J, totally not canon.

Good ol' chaos! Taking a page from WHFRP, it might be fun to introduce minor insanities on magicians who have peered into the abyssal depths of magic. Perhaps a sojourn to the metaplanes is like an LSD trip; sometimes it's a dream, sometimes it's a nightmare. You could bless a player with spirit affinity and spirit bane for opposing elements. I like the idea that initiation opens the magician to being altered by it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012