Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner Havens on its way
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Synner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 17 2006, 06:34 PM)
It's what stored on those system is what freaks the hell out of the paranoid me - those systems both maintain extensive profiles of the users... a state most runners should be allergic to. wink.gif

Very little if any information besides the posted material actually needs to be on Jackpoint. I believe a lot of confusing a centralized social network system with a freefloating client based system. Jackpoint is a user-based network with only accredited users being able to find, log on and exchange data on a bunch of freefloating networked nodes run by Fasyjack.

Extensive personal/profile information isn't actually on the network (besides network rep, your public profile, mail account, and any details the user voluntarily wants to offer in his posts and uploads), if at all it's on the Jackpoint client software on the user's own commlink. When someone logs into the freefloating Jackpoint nodes run by Fastjack - which are a bitch to find if you don't even know where to look - his Jackpoint client looks up all information on the database that matches the profile on its own system and presents it on the interface.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
Very little if any information besides the posted material actually needs to be on Jackpoint. I believe a lot of confusing a centralized social network system with a freefloating client based system. Jackpoint is a user-based network with only accredited users being able to find, log on and exchange data on a bunch of freefloating networked nodes run by Fasyjack.

Like I said - it's not the structure. smile.gif
Distributed darknets are cool, but they don't provide any protection for available data a centralized system couldn't, once inside.

QUOTE (Synner)
Extensive personal/profile information isn't actually on the network (besides network rep, your public profile, mail account, and any details the user voluntarily wants to offer in his posts and uploads), if at all it's on the Jackpoint client software on the user's own commlink.

Unfortunately, my whole issue is with the network rep - it's a system that calculates on the fly, storing who rated whom how, potentially when, necessarily how often.
That's powerful information:
It allows to find out whom you dealt with, when, how often, etc. - essentially, who your connections are and who you worked with; and, even worse what potential enemies you have.

QUOTE (Synner)
When someone logs into the freefloating Jackpoint nodes run by Fastjack - which are a bitch to find if you don't even know where to look - his Jackpoint client looks up all information on the database that matches the profile on its own system and presents it on the interface.

No problem with that - that's about the way it always was with data havens.
And yes, Shadowland maintained a reputation ranking, too - but fluff-wise, it was more a toy of egocentrics and amateurs than a 'mandatory' part of being a runner.

Sure, NetRep is very convenient and the way to go of doing business - but as convenience is the opposite of security, it's a double-edged sword.
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 17 2006, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (Synner)
Extensive personal/profile information isn't actually on the network (besides network rep, your public profile, mail account, and any details the user voluntarily wants to offer in his posts and uploads), if at all it's on the Jackpoint client software on the user's own commlink.

Unfortunately, my whole issue is with the network rep - it's a system that calculates on the fly, storing who rated whom how, potentially when, necessarily how often.
That's powerful information:
It allows to find out whom you dealt with, when, how often, etc. - essentially, who your connections are and who you worked with; and, even worse what potential enemies you have.

As I mentioned I haven't read the book yet, but isn't there some way this could be handled via a token and also tabulated and stored in such a manner that minimizes the usefulness of grabbing that data?

Also, although it is more than nothing, that sort of data seems of relatively limited use. If there were timestamps and stuff it could try figure out a pattern to someone's online time. But I get the impresson that these are people that are likely on quite often.

Also if this still has the basic concept of a meeting of people then having been in the presence of one person more often doesn't nessasarily have any more meaning than just being part of the group to start with?

EDIT: These are really just more questions than answers until I get around to buying the book.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
As I mentioned I haven't read the book yet, but isn't there some way this could be handled via a token and also tabulated and stored in such a manner that minimizes the usefulness of grabbing that data?

It's shadowrun we are talking about - someone will break the system. wink.gif
The data has to be accessible to a certain degree, too - otherwise, the system wouldn't work.

QUOTE (Brahm)
Also, although it is more than nothing, that sort of data seems of relatively limited use.

It's a profiler's wet dream: Most intelligence work bases on who relates to whom.

QUOTE (Brahm)
f there were timestamps and stuff it could try figure out a pattern to someone's online time. But I get the impresson that these are people that are likely on quite often.

It's more like 'Six people rated him within half an hour - looks like there was a successful job."

QUOTE (Brahm)
Also if this still has the basic concept of a meeting of people then having been in the presence of one person more often doesn't nessasarily have any more meaning than just being part of the group to start with.

It's not about just being 'seen' with somebody - it's about stating 'that guy is ok'.
Now, the fundamental problems of such rating systems aside (they depend on benevolence), that means that you had some kind of relationship.
The rest is just about finding patterns.
Brahm
Question: Is the rating system voluntary? If so WTF are you rating him immediately after a job? nyahnyah.gif That's like always going down to the regular bar to have a celebratory group piss-up right after every job. Just bad craftmanship. :/

If you treat it like e-bay and don't think in a paranoid frame of mind then yes, you are setting yourself up to be profiled.

Question: Does it say the individual ratings, with timestamps, are recorded? If so where are they recorded? Likewise say a history of rating someone else. If you store it locally on your own system then yes, you are humped if someone gets into your system. But you are pretty much humped anyway because that's very likely the least of your, and your buddy's problems at that point.

EDIT: I think what I'm really getting at here is that I basically agree with you that this could be a bad security risk. But then breathing can be a security risk. You just adopt practices to mitigate the risk to a acceptable level, just like with everything else you do. At this momment I suspect there are ways to successfully mitigate the risks to get it roughly inline with just connecting to the Matrix at all or doing your normal shadowrun jobs. For example getting any info on someone's cash flow is likely to give up similar if not even more information. Because anything can be broken into, right?
Demonseed Elite
There's no saying that JackPoint is even close to real-time. It could be that users simply sync up with JackPoint for a very brief period of time occasionally, their files updating with any changes since their last synchronization and other files being appended with any comments they made while they were working offline. Timestamps in this case (which aren't displayed, but possibly could be discovered) would probably reflect when the user synced, but not when the comment was really created. Considering you can easily have an agent sync the device at a pre-programmed or even random time, the sync-times don't say much about the user. Once the files are synced up, you could beam them (and the JackPoint client) over to another commlink and toss the one that synced into the trashbin, if you want.

That makes rating people after jobs a bit senseless. Not to mention I'm not sure how these people would know about the job and what they'd be rating you on anyway. The reputation ratings are based on their interactions with your posts on JackPoint only, pretty much. They don't tell you much about the runner's job history or working relationships.

As for the danger of reputation systems and profiling, runners live and die by their reputations. A runner can not work being anonymous to the corporations, since Johnsons hire based on a runner's work history and past relationships. There's a limit to how much you want the corporations to know, but they aren't going to get anything from your JackPoint reputation score that is relevant to them and they don't already know.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
Is the rating system voluntary?  If so WTF are you rating him immediately after a job?

Oh, yes... it's 'voluntary'. Basically such systems feature peer pressure and are a bit addictive, too.

QUOTE (Brahm)
If you treat it like e-bay and don't think in a paranoid frame of mind then yes, you are setting yourself up to be profiled.

That's what it looks like - well, except that who rated you may be hidden from the average user... well, we are not worrying about the average, do we? wink.gif

QUOTE (Brahm)
Does it say the individual ratings, with timestamps, are recorded?

No answer on timestamps, but judging from the book, ratings are indeed 'signed'.

QUOTE (Brahm)
If so where are they recorded?

On the network itself - be it datahaven or darknet.

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
The reputation ratings are based on their interactions with your posts on JackPoint only, pretty much. They don't tell you much about the runner's job history or working relationships.

My issue is about JackPoints and ShadowSea, both said by FastJack to implement similar NetRep rating mechanism - and as of p. 96, ShadowSea indeed rates you on feedback from people you worked with.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
My issue is about JackPoints and ShadowSea, both said by FastJack to implement similar NetRep rating mechanism - and as of p. 96, ShadowSea indeed rates you on feedback from people you worked with.

ShadowSea and JackPoint are very different systems. And while they both use a reputation system, they use them in different ways.
Raskolnikov
The structure makes the important data (user tracking) inherently insecure, Rotbart. Anyway, I can go on at length as to why the setup is non-ideal from an IC standpoint, and I will below for those who are interested. However, I find the OC move to be more disappointing than the IC reasoning.

I suppose the Neo-Anarchists still have a system of data havens and such set up outside of Jackpoint. I suppose there is still a method to disseminate files "the people" should see. I suppose there's a place where you can start a thread about how all the orks need to be killed on the same board there's a thread about how all the orks need to be hugged. Now, with Jackpoint, we've removed all that clutter to concentrate on the core shadowrunning information that the top 100 freelance criminals need to know.

Diversity? Street level? I'm sure this format will provide the perfect platform to deliver narrative from the gameworld that represents the street. I mean who knows the street better than the 100 most elite runners?

Unless the 100 most elite runners are actually not very elite at all the authors might find themselves having to constantly invite a "guest" poster to make any sort of post on information that wanders from the elite world of professional crime. This doesn't seem like a wise move.

I'm not entirely sure consistent shadow posters is a great idea at all, much less consistent posters who come from a narrowed background of work. Are the player characters supposed to be on par with these people (I know, answer "up to the GM" hurray more fiat)? If they are, then I suppose I could be underestimating the desire of readers to delve into the lives of their peers. Perhaps I'm underestimating the desire of characters to interact with the big-name NPCs (but never kill them!).

If the characters are supposed to be more street than the shadow posters. Then I guess I underestimate the desire of readers to harken to the exploits of characters doing things and referring to things they'll only think about touching when the game advances beyond the stated goal power level. Although I have to wonder why the game would not be centered around information tailored specifically to the goal power level with some outliers for flavor.

It is not that Shadowland lacked consistent personalities either. Many of the consistent names on Jackpoint are posters who commented extensively on Shadowland. The rest are either someone's old characters or templates created specifically to be cool. I suppose we'll see how interesting these characters (including the Shadowland ones, there were some pretty uninspired primary posters there as well) will be.

In summary, the wide-open terrorist-runner-activist-racist-paganist-scientist format of Shadowland provided, in my opinion, a much better vehicle for interesting sourcebook narrative than the newer elite-runner format of Jackpoint.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Boring (or perhaps not, mileage may vary) technical stuff follows:

Darknets are not secure in the way that, I think, some may be assuming.

The core information in the form of posts, public profiles, etc must be stored somewhere. There are a couple options for this.

1) Private Haven(s). The information can be kept in servers designed specifically to hold it. Located in lawless zones or hidden on someone else's bandwidth (but not hardware) this places the information firmly in control of the administrators. However, this also means that the administrators must care for the servers and networks they are attached to. Additionally, if the data is tracked back to these servers, the corporations gain a very powerful listening point and an automatic knowledge about specific aspects of the administrators. As the network is small, I would doubt that Fastjack would want to entrust too much information to people outside of the network or that he has much of an administrative staff around the world. The number of such servers would then be limited, further increasing the risk of the negative effects listed above.

2) Public Hosts. As this is the all-software solution, it would be foolish to put it all in one basket. However, it is important to remember that if a host has enough traffic and power to hide the program running the Jackpoint back-end, the security will be more than token. Even low-level security deckers stand the chance of eventually noticing foriegn programs running on their iron. Once the program is noticed, it can be studied, watched, or simply taken offline (in the best case). The more nodes you have, the greater the chance of some being discovered on a regular basis. The more volatile the nodes, the more need for redundancy. You can see the spiral here.

In either event, there are then a few ways to connect to the data.

1) Active Client with Reactive-Blind Lookup. The client connects to a list of nodes it is given. If these nodes need to be changed by the system, then this information can be updated on a successful login, or the client user can be contacted directly if the administrators have his or her information for at least a blind drop. If node volatility is high, this access list will need to change often. However, this allows the network to operate in a cell-structure. Various nodes and clients are limited (initially) in the scope of the network they have access to. Unfortunately, if the network is compromised further up the line, it is very easy to trace back to the clients. This setup is good for the administrators, but less so for the clients. The line up can be obscured by tricks such as blind-passes, subnet broadcasts that are then passed blind (this would be a double-blind pass) up the line until the actual information serving node returns the information in a static chunk from a node that only sends information and makes it as difficult as possible for that information to be traced back (in today's technology it would be a send with forged IP information from a network connected to the highest volume backbone router near the requesting client). Usability also suffers from the most impressive methods of obscurement. Latency is high and interactivity is limited. The users wouldn't be sitting in a virtual room having a chat, or if they were it'd look like a slide-show. Even the best of these can be narrowed down until the passes are identified without too much problem. To prevent complete cracking of the network, the nodes would need to change a lot. The passing nodes are likely on someone else's box and all but the near-end nodes do so blind so discovery of one would not compromise the network. Additionally, the static discovery addresses need not be nodes, they could be subnetworks that the client then transmits a blind broadcast on. You don't want to keep doing this, however, or you're broadcasting the conversation. Eventually the client would need the address of a static passing node.

In this configuration, you're limited to a BBS format (like the books, so that makes sense), there is a moderate amount of upkeep that needs to be done (some of it can be scripted on agents that act like worms but one would need to be careful lest the propagating worm becomes identified and hijacked), and security is high for the administrators. Clients are less secure, and user profiling information is still readily available with a watch placed on only a few end-users.

2) Passive Client with Reactive-Blind Lookup. Same as a above really, but the client would wait until it received some sort of wakeup token on a network, broadcast a response, and then receive (from a blind send) the node it should connect to in order to continue the conversation. No real advantage but added complexity.

3) Active Client with Static-Direct Lookup. This would be a system similar to the original Shadowland. The client would connect to a specific server which would act as its routing blackbox. The client could keep a full stream running as the stream could be routed through a few move logless systems. Completely insecure unless the volume on the network is sufficient to obscure a single stream. Also, this requires ownership of a decent number of systems.

So option 1 is the most likely for Jackpoint. With all of the security I have described layered on. It would do a fair job protecting the administrators (so it looks like SL James was correct, oddly enough). To further protect the system and administrators, could the entire network be made of dynamically linked clients? Possibly but there would need to be a lot of them. Far more than it is suggested exist. Also, to gain the maximum security advantage, this network needs to be spread out over the largest number of nets that can be managed. The new directive in SR4 for there to be multiple focus cities helps this more than if everyone was in Seattle, but still, the Jackpoint nodes will cluster, and this can be used against them.

Unfortunately, this is all simply active trace-back security. The actual data is only protected by obscurity. Once one of the data passing nodes (not the token passing ones) that is upstream of a high-access client or the client themselves, the data becomes readily available. Not only the data, but all the trend profiling information that I referred to earlier and that Rotbart echoed.

Summary: in the best-case scenario, the network is no more secure than Shadowland was for most things. For some things, Shadowland was more secure. Jackpoint's only advantage is a social one, ie the limited membership. However, this limits varying views, limits the number of eyes on any one problem, and increases threat of security breech for all clients.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
ShadowSea and JackPoint are very different systems. And while they both use a reputation system, they use them in different ways.

So, basically, ratings on JackPoints only concern input to the internal system - and the users have proven themselves anyway... thx.

ShadowSea, on the other hand, has the 'free-for-all' reputation system I'm worried about - nice to know. wink.gif

QUOTE (Raskolnikov)
The structure makes the important data (user tracking) inherently insecure, Rotbart.

Only if one assumes direct connection networks (WASTE) instead of a routing one (Freenet). Given unlimited bandwidth and storage (and the fact that canon mentions onion routing), it's fairly safe to assume it's not direct.

As you pointed out, once the network operates as it should, it's simply one storage device, no better nor worse than a centralized hub concerning access security.
(Of course, it is much harder to take down...)
Demonseed Elite
Rask pretty much covered what I was thinking for JackPoint. It's not perfect, no, but I'm not sure it's terribly dangerous either. Profile data can still be gleaned, but it's fairly limited data (unless some runner is dumb enough to put his 2070 MySpace page up there). Connection times and such can be gleaned, but like I said, there's no saying those are even user controlled. You can have your client commlink sync up while you're nowhere near it, at a randomly determined time, via a simple agent. And then you could dispose of the commlink. Since it's a low-bandwidth BBS-style system, cheap and disposable commlinks could easily handle it.

There certainly are arguments to be made on the behind-the-scenes reasons for replacing Shadowland with JackPoint, sure. It's a very different atmosphere. I'm not sure I'd call them "elite" runners so much as informed runners, but it isn't the egalitarian mix of Shadowland. Which has its good points and bad points. As a writer, I'm not sure which system I like better, I have had faults with both. As a reader, I think it's too early to judge JackPoint on one book, since one of the strengths of the limited poster pool is that you should see more characterization of the posters over the span of multiple books than you would see in a similar span of the old Shadowland style. If it's done right. Which might be nice in the absence of Shadowrun novels.
Raskolnikov
You do raise a good point about the absence of shadowrun novels. I never really read them anyway, but I can see how some people would like more character narrative. Still if character development in prior works is used as the example I wonder how long it will be before one of the characters has a pet AI, one of them runs a A or AA corp, and one of them rides a dragon who is their best friend and also slave?

Not to say that many of the authors can't handle the characters better than that, but I can easily see a tug of war between authors on these characters unless this development is outlined and agreed upon by the developers (at least in broad strokes). One book can have a character going one direction while another pulls them back another. One might make a character look like somewhat of a buffoon, while another might make them look like the most competent runner alive. In the collaborative works like this, I just think it's tricky.

I suppose old characters who don't seem to be working out can be discarded, and new ones introduced. However, I liked the ready explanation Shadowland provided for how a non-traditional poster could arrive. I also liked the ability to use a post extensively in just one section of a book. This is often how things are on the actual internet. One person may know an extensive amount about a single topic and rarely or never speak on others. For instance, I do not think it is cluttering or out of line for a character (let's call him NAN-Runner, actual name would hopefully be better) to post extensively about his insider knoweldge of the NAN in a section dedicated to that topic. This provides a second insider view (to oppose or reinforce the primary IC author of the section) and is reasonable in my opinion.

Additionally, Jackpoint (even if only slightly above street-level) limits the primarily proposed scope that runners operate in. After Loose Alliances, a book almost entirely about non-traditional shadow actors and runners, I would have thought one would want to do the opposite of presenting a more unified "typical runner" front in source book fiction.
SL James
QUOTE (Raskolnikov @ Jul 17 2006, 06:39 PM)
You do raise a good point about the absence of shadowrun novels.  I never really read them anyway, but I can see how some people would like more character narrative.  Still if character development in prior works is used as the example I wonder how long it will be before one of the characters has a pet AI, one of them runs a A or AA corp, and one of them rides a dragon who is their best friend and also slave?

One of them already has an IE for a father, and is partly immortal herself.

So the trend has already begun.

I'm just amazed that someone thought it was a good idea to replace Shadowland with all of it's neo-A trappings (you know, the kind that involves the cyberpunk staple of "information wants to be free" - the idea that led to such sourcebooks hitting the SR world as TT, TNO, Aztlan, Bug City, the Arcology Shutdown, etc.) with a horrible mish-mash of Friendster (something that was OVER with people who it was aimed at (i.e., hipsters) by the time most people actually heard about it on CNN) and /. (which, itself, is also dead news).

Way to keep up with the SOTA, guys. Seriously. It's not bad enough to systematically remove all vestiges of cyberpunk from the game, but the intellectual foundation for society and technology reads like someone has been reading 6-month old copies of Wired at the time it's written. Actually, come to think of it... This sums up SR4's intellectual foundation for technology pretty well. Just a list of buzzwords arranged like a list of Flickr tags.

BTW, cut the GitS: SAC augmented reality crap out. It's lame, and it's ugly.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (SL James)
You do raise a good point about the absence of shadowrun novels.  I never really read them anyway, but I can see how some people would like more character narrative.  Still if character development in prior works is used as the example I wonder how long it will be before one of the characters has a pet AI, one of them runs a A or AA corp, and one of them rides a dragon who is their best friend and also slave?

To be fair, though, that pre-dates JackPoint.

I'll agree it's tricky, though. And it could turn out to work or it could turn out not to work very well at all. The Shadowland format turned out to work well in some ways and not work well in others too. One thing that irked me about Shadowland from a writer's perspective was trying to keep track of the personalities that posted in past books so you could attempt to keep some cohesion with some of them. It was a nightmare, with many hours spent during writing pouring through my Shadowrun collection just scanning down the names of shadowtalk posters. We started to put together a spreadsheet for it, but that was no small chore to maintain either.

As a reader, I was bothered by the "poster creep" that appeared in the Shadowland format, with an increasing number of immortal elves, dragons, etc. just popping by to chat. Especially when you had great dragons posting "lol!" Argh.
SL James
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jul 17 2006, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 17 2006, 07:44 PM)

To be fair, though, that pre-dates JackPoint.

To be fair... Most of the Named GDs were also on Shadowland as well as a handful of IEs. That's irrelevant.

What is relevant is that of the 58 "core shadowtalk posters" listed a while back on the website, one of them is an immortal, one of them is a neutered Puck (I saw the comment attributed to him in the preview and wanted to cry), and most of the rest barely qualify as runners.

Fucking. A.

As a reader, I was bothered by the "poster creep" that appeared in the Shadowland format, with an increasing number of immortal elves, dragons, etc. just popping by to chat. Especially when you had great dragons posting "lol!" Argh.

Gee, when did it become a real problem? Was it the conversation that was obviously inserted between H and Hestaby in Cyberpirates, or was it the fact that pretty much every sourcebook released since DSers became part of the writer pool had such instances. Hmmm... That is a tough one.

Seriously, if you (and they) are going to blame anyone for that then it would help to first look in the mirror.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (SL James)
I'm just amazed that someone thought it was a good idea to replace Shadowland with all of it's neo-A trappings (you know, the kind that involves the cyberpunk staple of "information wants to be free" - the idea that led to such sourcebooks hitting the SR world as TT, TNO, Aztlan, Bug City, the Arcology Shutdown, etc.) with a horrible mish-mash of Friendster (something that was OVER with people who it was aimed at (i.e., hipsters) by the time most people actually heard about it on CNN) and /. (which, itself, is also dead news).

Way to keep up with the SOTA, guys. Seriously. It's not bad enough to systematically remove all vestiges of cyberpunk from the game, but the intellectual foundation for society and technology reads like someone has been reading 6-month old copies of Wired at the time it's written. Actually, come to think of it... This sums up SR4's intellectual foundation for technology pretty well. Just a list of buzzwords arranged like a list of Flickr tags.

BTW, cut the GitS: SAC augmented reality crap out. It's lame, and it's ugly.

I like old school BBS data havens as much as the next guy, but to play devil's advocate here, I guess it's either reading 6-month old Wired mags or two-decade-old 2600 mags.
Raskolnikov
I would maintain those powerful characters should never post at all.

The poster creep was annoying, I will grant, especially the ones with obvious joke names. Names that applied directly to the thing they just posted. /wrists

I would have rather seen a list of primary posters with a secondary list of filler characters. Then if a name couldn't be found on either list, and you needed a section-specific poster, load in another and append them to the secondary list.

Management of these lists could be as simple or complex as anyone was willing to put the effort into. Point being; I don't think the change in posting structure was really required.

EDIT: James, I think you're being a little hard on the guy. He's saying that the same problems you point out were indeed problems. The fix is non-optimal in my opinion, but DE wasn't the guy who made that call.
SL James
No, he isn't. I should make that clear. But he's working with most of the people who MADE it a problem.
Raskolnikov
Work is work. I tend not to like a lot of the writing that has come out for SR, especially the 4th Edition plots, however I don't recall DE specifically making anything that irked me. Even if he did, I'd think he'd only have responsibility to answer for that aspect rather than speak for all SR work.

I don't think he has any sort of responsibility to push for a higher quality of writing. I mean, I'd like to see a higher level, but failure to see this does not mean everyone associated with the project automatically earns vitriol from me and I don't think it would be entirely fair to work that way yourself.

DE is playing advocate for the changes made, its true, and it would be reasonable to address his points. However, downdressing him for tangental association with past mistakes is a little out of line, even if you have a personal annoyance with his current work. Generally it is more effective to attack the product than the author(s). Although, I will admit there are occasions where specific people build up a trackrecord or trainwrecks. I don't really think DE is one of these authors.
SL James
So I'm looking at The List of core shadowtalk posters, figuring that maybe half (28-29) could conservatively even be called shadowrunners. Of that, I am stupified that one of them is Kane.

I mean, really? Fastjack would associate with Kane? Have the shadows dulled that much? On one hand, yes, he's a hell of a survivor. On the other, I can't think of a canon NPC with a more notorious and unsavory reputation within the shadows themselves.

[Edit]
Oh, hell. I'll do you one better: Puck.

The idea of The Puck being one of Fastjack's chosen few is, without some incredible backstory during the interim period between SF and SR4, ludicrous. He was one of Deus' most favored. He was key in the Crash 2.0, which killed Jack's good friend, Cap. Yeah. I can see that being cleared up. Sure.
[/Edit]

QUOTE (Bull)
The new "Shadowland" as presented in the books is basically a closed network run by Fastjack.  There's a limited number of regular users, and various "guests" will be brought in for certain topics.

This was done partly so that FanPro could more easily start developing the Shadowtalk "Cast", IIRC.  A specific list of characters for writers to use, rather than what became the norm with hundreds of random "one shot" names and regular insertion of the names of friends.  The upside, is that we'll get to know the characters, the way we got to know Hatchetman and the gang back in the day...

See, that's another thing. Hatchetman and Fastjack and Neon Samurai were all developed within that mass of "hundreds of random 'one-shot' names." But then again, most of Hatchetman's development was that he basically wrote about 1/3 of the IC discussion in Cybertechnology. Fastjack became built up over the years, especially in Denver and RA:S and Target: Matrix when a whole entry was given to him. Neon Samurai was developed as a strong persona through less than a half-dozen posts attributed to him in two sourcebooks written years apart. The consistency lays in the fact that they were all written by the same authors (Tom Dowd and Nigel Findley, basically) while others did so in a condescending editorial fashion *cough* Talon *cough* later on, and recently... It doesn't really seem like anyone cared at all about such developments.

So... Why bother doing a 180 now?

I mean, really... Let's take Kane. He first appeared in SR2Comp. His one long post about his girlfriend/wife/lover/whatever pretty much summed up the entirety of his persona. Everything else was just self-referential back to that. Gingerbread Man may have been the funniest damn character ever from the setup, and the rest of the book set it up pretty well accordingly.

Character development isn't something you do. It's something that happens when you're not looking, and instead focused on pushing everything else forward.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

Let's just say it's pretty easy to ignore - the shift in ShadowTalkers, I mean.
Makes me a bit sad to see such PR stunts gone, and the diversity, too... but it's easier to ignore than a carefree way of doing business.

QUOTE (SL James)
Character development isn't something you do. It's something that happens when you're not looking, and instead focused on pushing everything else forward.

That's quote material. wink.gif
TW
I would say it's a given that there will always be a 'limited fluctuation' regarding the list of shadowtalkers. Runners retire or die (which may be the same in some cases), JackPointers invite locals to share their experience and POV with the JackPoint audience (as shown in Runner Havens already, see the invited guests listed on the Log in page) or other up-and/coming runners might be invited to join, others might be expelled.

As for 'unintentional' character development, I would say that managing the limited cast with all it's rivalries and disputes is a task on it's own for all the freelancers and their editors (and already I can see Synner heavily nodding in agreement - don't break your neck, bud wink.gif ). Don't think everybody's all that happy with Puck enjoying JP membership priviledges, for example.

But I think it's to soon to speak of either forced (=unconvincing) character development or the lack thereof with only one SR4 book (Runner Havens) published that contains a significant amount of shadowtalk in its new format (not counting the SR4 BBB or OtR).
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 18 2006, 02:33 AM)
QUOTE (SL James)

You can quote it all you like, but it is still bullshit to expect that you can't have an amount of planning in character development. nyahnyah.gif Otherwise why have metaplots and internal documents on it?

I'm curious to see the list though, to see how much room there is for growth within it. Or how they expect to grow it in the future. What the farm team will be, to put it in a baseball metaphore. Wasn't it going to go up on a website somewhere? Or has James now started reading RH?
Demonseed Elite
Anyway, yeah, I'm not sure much more can be said on the JackPoint topic. Though if others still have stuff to say about it, make a thread for it.

I'd like to hear more about views on RH, if anyone has any.
JongWK
As for 'unintentional' character development, I would say that managing the limited cast with all it's rivalries and disputes is a task on it's own for all the freelancers and their editors (and already I can see Synner heavily nodding in agreement - don't break your neck, bud wink.gif ). Don't think everybody's all that happy with Puck enjoying JP membership priviledges, for example.

Bingo. Anyone wants to guess Puck's NetRep, or how he bought his was into JackPoint?

The list of core shadowtalkers was posted with the new web fiction guidelines.
Brahm
QUOTE (JongWK @ Jul 18 2006, 10:00 AM)
Bingo. Anyone wants to guess Puck's NetRep, or how he bought his was into JackPoint?

My initial guess would be in trade for helping with setup/security? The concept of resonance/dissonance pools would seem to roughly fit in with this floating concept of Jackpoint. Although it could possibly be closer to providing security insurance. Basically good ol' extortion of "let me in or I'll burn the place to the ground"?

EDIT That actually makes a bit more sense by the rules because of that quirk where Techno created encryption is effectively uncrackable by mundane means. Although he's not offically confirmed a Techno.

P.S. Thanks for the link, that's what I thought.
FanGirl
Yeah, thanks for the link. Before, I was reading "Kay St. Irregular" as "Kay Saint Irregular" and not "Kay Street Irregular." (What can I say - I'm not oldschool like most of you guys. smile.gif ) Now the name actually makes sense to me.
James McMurray
Don't feel bad. At least one of us Old School types saw it in your post and thghout Kay Saint Irregular was a stupid name, and wondered who would name a character that. smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
You can quote it all you like, but it is still bullshit to expect that you can't have an amount of planning in character development.

That depends on the definition.
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 18 2006, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jul 18 2006, 02:34 PM)
You can quote it all you like, but it is still bullshit to expect that you can't have an amount of planning in character development.

That depends on the definition.

The defination of what? The word "in"? wink.gif

Seriously, thinking that having a 2 page list of characters doesn't mean that quality development of a character can not come out of it. To think that Hachetman couldn't have come out of him being on a 2 page list with a one sentence description of "headbanger muscle that is looking to chrome up"? But had to come out of nowhere with no planning? Bullshit.

That being said are there any relatively blank slate characters on that list? Or do they all have a lot of canon background? Obviously Frosty, Kane, etc. do. But some of those names don't seem familiar to me. Then again I'm not a total SR geekout.

P.S. I do get the impression that this is the big leagues, and the story about a nobody from nowhere up and coming would be told in the 3rd person rather than directly. Or perhaps a 3rd person submission of a first person text. Like, IIRC, the last words we heard about Hachetman were.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Brahm)
That being said are there any relatively blank slate characters on that list? Or do they all have a lot of canon background? Obviously Frosty, Kane, etc. do. But some of those names don't seem familiar to me. Then again I'm not a total SR geekout.

There are, yes.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
Seriously, thinking that having a 2 page list of characters doesn't mean that quality development of a character can not come out of it.

If you haven't noticed, it was a play of words:
Development as in planning vs. development as in growth.
The latter, if unexpected/accidental/random is what makes a character truely 'feel alive'... because life isn't deterministic. wink.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Brahm)
Seriously, thinking that having a 2 page list of characters doesn't mean that quality development of a character can not come out of it.

If you haven't noticed, it was a play of words:
Development as in planning vs. development as in growth.

I missed the play on words.
The latter, if unexpected/accidental/random is what makes a character truely 'feel alive'... because life isn't deterministic. wink.gif

That is where I'm calling bullshit.

Even improv has outline scripts. Check out Who's Line Is It Anyway for example. Sometimes they have audience members call out words. But for a lot of it they've got seed scripts, and those parts feel just as "alive". Even the audience callout words are then plugged into a preplanned seed script.
SL James
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jul 18 2006, 06:34 AM)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 18 2006, 02:33 AM)
QUOTE (SL James)

You can quote it all you like, but it is still bullshit to expect that you can't have an amount of planning in character development. nyahnyah.gif Otherwise why have metaplots and internal documents on it?

Where in the Hell did you ever get that idea? God almighty. That's probably one of the dumbest assumptions ever made about something I've said on DS.

QUOTE (JongWK)

The more important question is why would he want to do it.
Brahm
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 18 2006, 02:04 PM)
Where in the Hell did you ever get that idea? God almighty.

Rotbart van Dainig seemed to get that impression too, or maybe not. So please expound on what you meant.

That's probably one of the dumbest assumptions ever made about something I've said on DS.

Well claiming that character development only happens "when you're not looking" isn't the dumbest thing you've ever said on DS, but mostly only because of the incredibily stiff competition it is up against. nyahnyah.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)

If you miss that experience, too, that's not suprising. wink.gif

Two of my characters developed a life on their own out of completly unplanned situations - to an extend they became more like NPC.
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 18 2006, 02:39 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm)

If you miss that experience, too, that's not suprising. wink.gif

Which experience? The calling out words? Because, as I said, it still has a framework. And the people in the audience are in on it because they know roughly what they are going to get used for. Those words aren't actually randomn at all. Plus more than one word gets called out and Drew then selects which one he wants to use. So, like many things, the randomness is an illusion.

Or you like the feeling of the slightly more frequent duds (though that's pretty rare on that show because it is well run) that the callouts tend to give.

EDIT
Two of my characters developed a life on their own out of completly unplanned situations - to an extend they became more like NPC.

That's fine. However that doesn't mean it is the only way things can happen. Or that such things are more likely without some planning. Indeed setting up (planning) a collision that'll have a high chaos factor is something that tends to promote such things happening. Having that list doesn't actually preclude such a thing happening, and the later means that having a list like tthat can actually encourage it in some ways.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
Which experience?

The one you commented in your edit - the point when 'development' ultimatly shifts from 'planning' to 'growth'.
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 18 2006, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jul 18 2006, 09:48 PM)
Which experience?

The one you commented in your edit - the point when 'development' ultimatly shifts from 'planning' to 'growth'.

So exactly how does having that list act against that? I'm not saying a slow transition of plan to realization doesn't exist, or that the realization is entirely predictable or comes out exactly as envisioned when planned. Far from that. But thinking that having a 2 page list of characters to help coordinate co-authors somehow kills that is ludacris.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
So exactly how does having that list act against that?

Where did I say it does? indifferent.gif
Just commented on the play with word which caused a dejavu.
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 18 2006, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jul 18 2006, 11:10 PM)
So exactly how does having that list act against that?

Where did I say it does? indifferent.gif
Just commented on the play with word which caused a dejavu.

DOH! Ok, now I'm picking up what you are laying down. wobble.gif I not only missed the word play, I missed that your point was the word play.
TW
Anyways..... I'd be interested what the impressions are regarding the other minor hot spots covered in Runner Havens (Capetown, Istanbul, Hamburg..). So, let's hear 'em, please.
Witness
I like Hamburg a lot- the whole polluted venice thing gives it quite a character.
The other three are subtler affairs without such overt scene-setting gimmicks, but Istanbul and Caracas have grown on me like a delicate wine. Cape Town, however, just didn't seem to have much to it. Either that or for some reason I just didn't 'get it'.
I think the main problem with these sections is that they are just too short, and that there isn't quite enough in the way of moodsetting. If you've already visited these cities IRL, or places like them, then I guess you'll be ok, but if not I don't think you really get a strong sense of 'being there', and you'll have to work that much harder to set the atmosphere for players if you want to set a game in those places.
There should have been maps for all four. There also (IMO) should have been a good cityscape and street-level picture/montage for each one. A well-chosen picture can be worth a thousand words.
otaku mike
I'm sure you'll be able to get a scan of Hamburg map at least, as there will be one in the extended Hamburg chapter of the German version.

Mike
Witness
That'd be good. Will it / can it be placed on the official website as a free download?
JongWK
So, who else is reading the book?
Jagdcarcajou
Heya,

Still waiting for hardcopy to reach my local shop... frown.gif

Chris
Masterofthegame
QUOTE (Jagdcarcajou)
Still waiting for hardcopy to reach my local shop... frown.gif

Me too, any chanced of an updated ETA? I had thought it was due out on the 17th, but alas, the FLGS still hasn't seen it.
Moon-Hawk
My local UPS man is holding mine hostage. Mine shipped from Amazon on the 17th, but the UPS guy didn't ring the buzzer when he came by yesterday and left with my package! AAARRGH!
So anyway, yeah, hard copies are out there.
Adam
QUOTE (Masterofthegame)
Me too, any chanced of an updated ETA? I had thought it was due out on the 17th, but alas, the FLGS still hasn't seen it.

It hit distributors as scheduled this week. Depending on shipping times to stores and when the store ordered copies, they should be getting it this week or next within the USA, and a little longer for Canada and overseas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012